Which of the current male commentators annoys you the most? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which of the current male commentators annoys you the most?

JennyS
03-21-2004, 03:10 PM
Of all the people who commentate for men's tennis matches on US TV, who is your least favorite?

Deboogle!.
03-21-2004, 03:13 PM
OH Mal, hands down. He's just horrible from what he says to the sound of his voice just drives me crazy.

armaniman
03-21-2004, 03:51 PM
I havent heard Patrick Mcenroe but from what your all saying he sounds pretty bad lol

In England its got to be John Barret, hes so patronising and thinks world tennis revolves around centre court and how many faces have painted union jacks.

Deboogle!.
03-21-2004, 05:08 PM
PMac is bad, REALLY bad. but IMO Mal is even worse :o

Devotee
03-21-2004, 07:00 PM
I don't see how people think Patrick McEnroe is the worst commentator.
IMO Patrick is the BEST commentator on U.S. TV.
He makes accurate observations. But his partner, Cliff Drysdale is the
WORST commentator on U.S. TV. Cliff often makes mistaken statements
and sounds like he hasn't been following the tournament.

sigmagirl91
03-21-2004, 07:34 PM
OMG, PMac is THE worst on TV, IMO, and Mal is a close second....

Fedex
03-21-2004, 07:51 PM
By the way, How come John wasnt there at Aus Open commentating??? I like his analisis of things. So much better that Patrick, thats for sure!!! :o

tangerine_dream
03-21-2004, 07:55 PM
Bring back John McEnroe. :worship:

maximus82
03-21-2004, 07:59 PM
Patrick Mac got my vote...his analysis isn't horrible, but those f-ing annoying 'catch phrases' he throws out make me want to get a gun..."the DROPPER"..."the LOBBER"...plus he practically orgasms every two seconds when he is commenting on a Roddick match. :rolleyes:

Leo
03-22-2004, 01:24 AM
Luke Jensen, with Mal Washington coming in second by a very slim margin.

IMO, JMac is overrated and PMac is occassionally underrated. Yes, his patented phrases are obnoxious and he is sometimes biased in favor of the Americans, but, let's face it, he has many more intelligent things to say than most other commentators, including his companion Cliffy.

Mary Carillo and Jim Courier are my two favorites. :)

darnyelb
03-22-2004, 05:01 AM
Mal Washington... he's terribly bland

3strokes
09-11-2007, 01:38 AM
I, like every other tennis fan (or "connaisseur"), like to watch TV and listen to the sound of the ball on the racquets and on the ground and in the air. To me, annoying TV commentators who have a diarrhoea
of the mouth, are the same as if the TV cameras, shooting the action, were placed right behind these commentators' heads, filling 95% of the screen. And I do not like being forced to turn the sound OFF in order to evade the moronic, idiotic comments made by most of them. (Even the occasionally acceptable ones (Mary Carillo?), will, at times, just spout patriotic goo!

I'm a tennis fan. I'm watching tennis. I don't need a dick Enberg giving me a baseball simile to explain the match. Let him mouth off CBS self-promoting garbage durin commercials, not during the match.

Can't they ever shut the H.....eck up?

azza
09-11-2007, 01:42 AM
Lawl.

3strokes
09-11-2007, 01:42 AM
Correction. Title should have TV. The fact that I typed and posted without proof-reading can attest to my level of annoyance.

Sorry

P.S. The use of "annoyingest" as opposed to "most annoying" was intentional and purely meant to convey a fraction of my annoyance.

RickDaStick
09-11-2007, 01:44 AM
Where the hell is Patrick Mac? By far the most annoying ever

3strokes
09-11-2007, 01:46 AM

My apologies. He does belong in that Pantheon of "greats".

sierra91
09-11-2007, 02:42 AM
:haha: :haha: :rolls: :rolls:

Marek.
09-11-2007, 02:47 AM
Ted Robinson by far.

mangoes
09-11-2007, 02:51 AM
Ted Robinson

Maxpowers
09-11-2007, 02:54 AM
I don't mind if they're talking between points, but what drives me absolutely crazy is when they interview celebrities during the match. Its bad enough when they focus on celebrities in the crowd and treat them like gods, but when they actually zoom in on them and talk to them instead of showing the match its way too much.

I think McEnroe makes some good comments, but its tough to tell who the worst is. I really dislike the comparisons to other sports and I think just about all of them did that this year.

If they want to explain things to people who don't normally watch tennis, they can say "that was a tough shot he missed because its difficult to get any strength when the ball is over your shoulder" after the point is over.

*Viva Chile*
09-11-2007, 02:58 AM
PMac is the Ann Coulter of tennis commentating.

sierra91
09-11-2007, 03:01 AM
I, like every other tennis fan (or "connaisseur"), like to watch TV and listen to the sound of the ball on the racquets and on the ground and in the air. To me, annoying TV commentators who have a diarrhoea
of the mouth, are the same as if the TV cameras, shooting the action, were placed right behind these commentators' heads, filling 95% of the screen. And I do not like being forced to turn the sound OFF in order to evade the moronic, idiotic comments made by most of them. (Even the occasionally acceptable ones (Mary Carillo?), will, at times, just spout patriotic goo!

I'm a tennis fan. I'm watching tennis. I don't need a dick Enberg giving me a baseball simile to explain the match. Let him mouth off CBS self-promoting garbage durin commercials, not during the match.

Can't they ever shut the H.....eck up?

Love this poll but ... ARE YOU KIDDING ME? You put Mary Carillo in the "acceptable category? Someone should do the world a favor a slit her fucking vocal chords.

turkjey5
09-11-2007, 03:43 AM
Chris Fowler, the guy knows absolutely nothing about tennis. He's really quite ridiculous as a commentator.
Ted Robinson and his damned baseball analogies. I know that's all he knows but if all I know are computer algorithms should I compare them to tennis shots?

3strokes
09-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Love this poll but ... ARE YOU KIDDING ME? You put Mary Carillo in the "acceptable category? Someone should do the world a favor a slit her fucking vocal chords.

I said occasionally acceptable. She occasionally stays -relatively- quiet compared to brown-nosing Dick Enberg, Tim Robinson and even Cliff Drysdale.

These + others on the poll, invented new patriotic tennis terminology.
For example, I liked and respected Agassi as a player but hated watching his matches (all we get in Canada is American coverage) and specially being told every few minutes that he was a Grand Slam winner. Excuse me? What year did he win all four Slams? That's what a Grand Slam is: all four in one year (and it's been done by an American, Don Budge). Agassi did not do it and before him I never heard the term "Career Grand Slam"; it just did not exist in Tennis.
Moreover each one of the majors is just that, a Major or a Slam, if you will, not a GS.

Forehander
09-11-2007, 12:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iXjL-INeHo

here watch this

natasha_nana
09-11-2007, 12:40 PM

I agree - PMac and Mary Carillo are by far the most annoying. I have to watch it on mute if it's them doing it.
They just wont shut up, and insist on continuously spouting their nonesense, which rarely has anything to do with the match.

I don't like Tracy Austin who the BBC use all the time either.

In fact the only one I can stomach at all is Jonny Mac...who is not only the best American commentator, but the best commentator period.

3strokes
09-11-2007, 12:53 PM
In fact the only one I can stomach at all is Jonny Mac...who is not only the best American commentator, but the best commentator period.

I respectfully beg to disagree with your last statement about John McEnroe. I used to accept him (as the least bad of a baaaaaaaaaaaad lot) until one day (Wimbledon a few years back), our TSN (Canadian Television Sport Network) that takes its feed off USA, ESPN and CBS, lost its feed somehow and managed to catch the BBC feed. The BBC commentators, whose names I never caught, were so good, quiet, respectful towards their TV audience (never once blabbed about cricket or darts or the magnificent bodies of these beautiful male athletes with their gloriously rippling muscles (a la Enberg)) that I almost stopped watching that Slam next day when they restored the crappy American feed. I had to make do with "mute" TV. Believe you me, I was fatigued. ;)

MasturB
09-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Has to be Ted Robinson.

ranaldo
09-11-2007, 01:15 PM
JMac is ok except when he hypes the US players. Courier is pretty good too(his californian accent can be too much at times but what can you do?). The worst one imho is Leif Shiras.

Pushkin
09-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Johnny Mac spent 2 weeks saying how Djokovic was now clearly better than Roddick...He's a clear fan of Henin also so don't say he is all about americans. He's good along with Drysdale Fowler Courier Gilbert(when there) P Mac sometimes. Enberg-Robinson-Carillo are not deserving to be on the air.

WF4EVER
09-11-2007, 02:23 PM
This is really one of the toughest questions ever posed on MTF. It's really hard to pick just one but I love the last six options

PamV
09-11-2007, 02:35 PM
You didn't list Patrick McEnroe. I find him the most annoying because he talks constantly and it's never about the actual match at hand. He repeats the same stories over and over. Why is it he thinks viewers want to hear anything that happens to pop into his head and not pay attention the match that is taking place?

At least John McEnroe is funny at times. I will never forget the jokes he made about Rusedski during his match with Sampras at the 2002 USOpen.

3strokes
09-11-2007, 02:36 PM
JMac is ok except when he hypes the US players.

Which is one reason I would secretely hope for early losses for American players (even the few ones I normally liked to watch, like Agassi and Sampras. Courier did not look like a Tennis player but a baseball-bat-handler and forget about Roddick and Blake; they walk as if they were gunslingers with abcesses under their armpits trying to convince us that their lats are so big their arms have to angle out so far).

When no Americans were left in a Slam draw, the wpm (words/per/minute) of American Commentators went down -since they LOVE statistics- by about 53.03593% and by about 50% decibels.

That made watching TV almost bearable (but it took a lot of beers to compensate for Dick Enberg's (so he thinks) mellifluous and unctuous delivery of nonsense). I believe he buys himself a lot of bathroom tissue where every sheet has a new word on it and, in order to increase his vocabulary (so as to impress his bosses), is hooked on laxatives to increase his quality reading times.

markd
09-11-2007, 03:22 PM
No one eats my nerves like that talking head, kiss-ass, half-a-man Mary Carillo...she has got to go...I know Federe is a genius, but how many mind numbing ways can she kiss his ass...with that fake, gravely voice giggle...ugh...get her off the air....

star
09-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Dick Enberg by far!

smitty8
09-11-2007, 03:36 PM
why aren't Ted and Mary in the poll? they are the # 1 & 2 most annoying on my list. :banghead:

RonE
09-11-2007, 03:37 PM
'Penis' Enberg by a looooong way :o

Kitty de Sade
09-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Dick Enberg makes me want to get really intoxicated to drown out the sound of his voice. :)

LoveFifteen
09-11-2007, 03:49 PM
To be honest, I don't think any commentator would make a lot of you happy. You just have to bitch about something. Yeah, they can be a little annoying at times, but you guys are really childish to let it bother you so much. :shrug:

Avid Merrion
09-11-2007, 03:50 PM
P.S. The use of "annoyingest" as opposed to "most annoying" was intentional and purely meant to convey a fraction of my annoyance.

yeah? well it's worked because you've annoyed the hell outta me.

Kitty de Sade
09-11-2007, 03:52 PM
PMac totally hypes the Americans, and should get an honorable mention.

He adamantly picked Blake over Federer in the Cincy finals. Yeah, not so much on that prediction coming true in the end. :lol:

tennisace
09-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Barry McKay by far. The others don't come close to being as bad as him.

magnoliaewan
09-11-2007, 04:31 PM
JMac. He's so biased and wants Federer to lose so bad, he's practically salivating when a player is leading him.

I like Dick Enberg's voice. He sounds like a game show host (just like he said at the US Open 2007 trophy ceremony).

tennisdreams
09-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Mary Carillo is the most annoying to me!

Lucinda
09-11-2007, 04:47 PM
The thing that bothered me the most was the constant comments regarding Fed's greatness. It seemed like they had to say something on every serve. I know Fed is the best and all, and I'm a big fan, but I get tired of hearing the same line over and over for 2 and a half hours. If they're so in awe that they can only spout out one thing repeatedly, then maybe they should just stay quiet? y/n?

Polikarpov
09-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Taylor Dent.

3strokes
09-11-2007, 05:50 PM
why aren't Ted and Mary in the poll? they are the # 1 & 2 most annoying on my list. :banghead:

I am only human. I made a mistake (a couple, no, more):
I forgot:
Ted Robinson
Patrick McEnroe
Mary Carillo

Can an administrator change some of the "All of the above" choices
to add these three and, given the number of posters who correctly believe I erred in not listing them, virtually and administratively click on these three for all of us bringing them up to the head of the class (however still below Enberg)?

scoobs
09-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Maybe it's just me but I find the use of the "word" 'annoyingest' more annoying than any of those commentators.

tangerine_dream
09-11-2007, 06:29 PM
End. Berg!

groundstroke
09-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Dick.

RagingLamb
09-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Ted Robinson, but I would prefer him to drysdale. Actually I would prefer the plague to drysdale but that's another story.

btw, I like Enberg, at least he's an actual commentator. i don't understand why people can't stand him. is it really just the baseball analogies? I'd take that over hearing Nadal's childhood story for the 500000000000000th time any day.

World Beater
09-11-2007, 06:57 PM
enberg, robinson.

~*BGT*~
09-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Mary Carillo. It's only because she sounds like a man, and she has a crooked mouth.

r2473
09-11-2007, 08:31 PM
America is "blessed" with bad commentary in every sport. Lots to mindless jabber and "witty" repertoire. But, it is what Americans like.

"My fellow Americans", please name me one sport that has good (or even listenable) commentary.

Football- The game is painful (what, another phantom pass interference, ruffing the passer, etc. flag that pretty much determines the outcome, how fascinating. Please, can we see more commercials somehow.). But the commentary is absolutely painful. The ex-jocks are so articulate. Mind numbing.

Baseball- I like to listen to Joe Morgan on ESPN. He is a true professional. Unfortunately, he is often paired with Burman (rumblin', bumblin'....please shut up already). Joe Buck and Tim McCarver are impossible to listen to. I do however like the radio broadcasts from many major league teams. Very good stuff actually.

Basketball- NBA basketball is pretty close to professional wrestling in terms of sports. The commentary is......oh so painful.

Golf- I dare anyone to watch golf with the sound on. CBS (with their always "smart and witty" banter) is excruciating. The other channels are not any better (could someone please shoot Johnny Miller).

Motorsports- I have seen about 10 seconds of NASCAR. That was 11 seconds too much.

Any Others???

Americans love this "mindless" "witty" style commentary.

Now, don't get me started on the "complex" plot lines and "Shakespearian-like" dialogue of American movies.

And if anyone can watch even 1 second of network programming........... (has ANYONE watched a sitcom in the past 25 years. Ouch!! "Reality TV". "News" commentary. I often wonder who watches this stuff.

3strokes
09-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Maybe it's just me but I find the use of the "word" 'annoyingest' more annoying than any of those commentators.

That was done on purpose. Please read one of my previous posts (#3 actually).
I even contemplated saying "the mostest annoyingest", but refrained.
I'm glad that you caught my intention as I was trying to convey "some" of the annoyances these gentlemen/guys and ladies/gals cause.

Kuhne
09-11-2007, 09:45 PM
By far John Mac... I used to love this guy but he just wants Federer to lose finals now, I almost had it with him in wimbledon when he couldn't really hide his desider for rafa's dick in his mouth but now in the US Open I just plain had to laugh, he actualy flat out said, Djokovic is big time choking on that side!!

Holy crap.. seriously, fire this clown and bring someone who apreciates tennis instead, this guy was a clown in his carreer whie would it be any diferent as a tv comentator?

Patrick Mac sucks as well but he is miles above his older brother..

sierra91
09-17-2007, 11:26 PM
I said occasionally acceptable. She occasionally stays -relatively- quiet compared to brown-nosing Dick Enberg, Tim Robinson and even Cliff Drysdale.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm a bit slow on the uptake with all the flying to and from tournaments whilst trying to stay out of debtors' prison so that I don't have to listen to these morons talk. (And yes, it's also cool seeing tennis live;) .)

Just watched a tape of the first set of the USO Open. Besides all the unnecessary and inane yammering, the director should have taken a few Valium, canned some of the cameramen, and keep the camera on the court. All that switching to shots of the City, shots of the crowd, the practice courts, this flashback, that flashback, etc., etc. made me feel like I was having an acid flashback.:banghead: Oy vey!

l_mac
09-17-2007, 11:31 PM
By far John Mac... I used to love this guy but he just wants Federer to lose finals now, I almost had it with him in wimbledon when he couldn't really hide his desider for rafa's dick in his mouth but now in the US Open I just plain had to laugh, he actualy flat out said, Djokovic is big time choking on that side!!

Holy crap.. seriously, fire this clown and bring someone who apreciates tennis instead, this guy was a clown in his carreer whie would it be any diferent as a tv comentator?

Patrick Mac sucks as well but he is miles above his older brother..

What is desider?

So did you like John Mac when he was all about Federer?

wakingaube
09-18-2007, 02:27 AM
Mary Carillo annoys the crap out of me.

trixtah
09-18-2007, 03:28 AM
Mary Carillo annoys the crap out of me.

Seriously...get that fucking voice off of the air--not to mention the fact that she knows nothing about tennis and her comments are so retarded. John Mac is pretty nice to listen to since he knows what it's like to play but sometimes I hear the dumbest fucking comments from the others and I just want punch the screen in hopes that some dimensional rift opens up and knocks that dumb bitch out.

jole
09-18-2007, 05:11 AM
Dick Enberg. I mean, I don't even consider him a commentator. He's a broken record of spewing obviousness.

wakingaube
09-18-2007, 05:48 AM
Seriously...get that fucking voice off of the air--not to mention the fact that she knows nothing about tennis and her comments are so retarded. John Mac is pretty nice to listen to since he knows what it's like to play but sometimes I hear the dumbest fucking comments from the others and I just want punch the screen in hopes that some dimensional rift opens up and knocks that dumb bitch out.

lol Exactly. I just muted the tv during Wimbledon because I couldn't stand to hear her talk anymore.

The best commentary I've ever heard was when Agassi was a guest at the USO. He and Johnny Mac were nice and very entertaining to listen to. They actually knew what they were talking about and Andre didn't talk so loud you couldn't watch the match too. They should team up and kick everyone else out.

evilmindbulgaria
08-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Watching the replay of Monfils - Isner from yesterday made me realize that Justin Gimelstob must be one of the most annoying male commentator nowadays. Your thoughts?

Oh, and I am saying "male" because I absolutely can't stand Navratilova when she comments for the Tennis Channel!

timafi
08-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Gimelstob and Patrick McEnroe are just horrible

merryploughbhoy
08-07-2011, 08:13 PM
I think McEnroe is great, tells it how it is. Becker is also the same

lalaland
08-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Gimelstob hands down. He should be banned from tennis venue.

LoveFifteen
08-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Dick Enberg is the one that bothers me the most, but I don't care for Patrick McEnroe either.

evilmindbulgaria
08-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Dick Enberg is the one that bothers me the most, but I don't care for Patrick McEnroe either.

Oh, yeah, I should have included Enberg in the poll. He can be quite annoying too, luckily he only commentates during Grand Slams!

Sanya
08-07-2011, 08:24 PM
John is the greatest ever. Comparing with him all other seem to be annoying clowns. That`s why...

MIMIC
08-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Justin. His commentary is so over-the-top and it's like he tries to throw in the biggest, most unnecessary words to jazz it up.

Federer is the conflagration to Roddick's tennis career

It's not impressive; it's annoying.

cezero
08-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Gimelstob and Gilbert. Both mangle the English language badly and think they're "witty" while doing it. They are the male versions of Mary "Cuckoo" Carillo.

Pirata.
08-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Justin Gimelstob and Brad Gilbert. Gilbert is almost worst, he bandwagons any player and then criticizes them the second they drop form. He can barely pronounce half of the players names right. At least Gimelstob is usually confined to TTC, Gilbert is unleashed upon the poor casual fans at every slam. You can't escape this guy :stupid:

Darren Cahill is, imo, one of the best.

evilmindbulgaria
08-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Justin Gimelstob and Brad Gilbert. Gilbert is almost worst, he bandwagons any player and then criticizes them the second they drop form. He can barely pronounce half of the players names right. At least Gimelstob is usually confined to TTC, Gilbert is unleashed upon the poor casual fans at every slam. You can't escape this guy :stupid:

Darren Cahill is, imo, one of the best.

:rolls: Yeah, totally agree with you about that! Also, he comes up with those stupid nicknames for the players normally involving the letter "z" - Shazza, Wazza, Petkorazzi and so on! His analyzing skills though are not bad but nevertheless he is annoying!

GSMnadal
08-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Two words:

Greg Rusedski.

Mjau!
08-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Such an anglo-centric thread has no place in GM :no:

emotion
08-07-2011, 10:21 PM
This poll is so funny. Deserved though.

Filo V.
08-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Dick Enberg.

Mateya
08-08-2011, 12:00 AM
These are all great compared to clueless commentators in our country :stupid: :crazy:
People who never played competetive tennis and some random cocksuckers are commentating the match with result (like we are blind), statistics all the time and the obvious things like "error, ball is too long" or "what a winner" in the most boring and child-like manner. Absolutely no analysis, tactics, sense of humour, etc. Like they started watching tennis this year (probably not far away from the truth). Morons don't even know some of the basic rules in tennis.

Eurosport is much better already. As for the mentioned gentlemen...don't know much about them, I just heard a lot of bad things about this legendary Gimelstob. While this John McEnroe and Jim Courier are very nice to listen to. :)

Henry Chinaski
08-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Genci Cakciri is the worst imo.

MIMIC
08-08-2011, 12:35 AM
Haha, I like Gilbert. I get a "silly uncle" vibe from him. And about the way he says the players' names: I think he mispronounces them on purpose as part of his shtick.

Giles SI-men
David FAIR-ruh-rair

I know it gets on the other commentators' nerves (like Fowler's) but I love it :lol:

Sonja1989
08-08-2011, 12:38 AM
All is 10000 times better than Hungarian commentators.

KarlyM
08-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Other than Dick Enberg (who is retiring after the US Open! :D), it's definitely Gimelstob for me.

AsianSensation
08-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Pam Shriver

Yes I read the topic title, but she's worse than all of them combined.

Pirata.
08-08-2011, 01:21 AM
Giles SI-men
David FAIR-ruh-rair

Nuh-dowl is one of my personal favourites, along with Dickie Gaskit.

Then those moronic analogies involving other sports. "Wow, that DTL backhand was a fast ball in the strike zone!" "The line judge deserved a red card for that bad call! Send him off the court!"

And his constant exaggerated statements, like "Djokovic probably has the best backhand of all time." "Not sure the Fed can handle this onslaught from the Joker!" [as Roger was up a set and a break :o] "Never seen a net game better than Nadal's!"

BigJohn
08-08-2011, 01:30 AM
I thought that there was a general consensus about Gimelstob being one of the biggest douche in the universe, so of course he should take it.

Recently, Courrier was pretty bad.

Patrick McEnroe does not belong on that list for obvious reasons.

Johnny Groove
08-08-2011, 01:41 AM
None on the list are that bad, Cahill is class, PMac is ok, Gilbert is, well, Gilbert, JMac is ok, and Cliffy I don't mind.

Gimelstob I haven't heard much of, but the consensus is that he sucks?

Ted Robinson is pretty damn useless, while Mary Carillo makes me :facepalm: left and right.

Pam Shriver

My word, yes. She is the ABSOLUTE worst.

tennisfan856
08-08-2011, 02:07 AM
my hatred for gimelsnob is well chronicled. A mediocre career with drama diving antics, and he acts like he should be davis cup coach. He is a great asskisser because he has some serious connections with california media and the usta. He is a douchebag, a homer, and also rude to fellow color commentators (maybe superiority complex). Pmac is also an egomaniac that throws subtle sarcastic jabs at gilbert during broadcast, but for the most part he keeps it cool. Justin is so deep with connections that we will see him forever. One can hope he makes another stupid sexist comment about the wta so ther would be a reason to fire him.

Topspindoctor
08-08-2011, 03:55 AM
McEnroe - the biggest bandwagoner and gloryhunter the game has ever seen. The guy is eager to lick the private parts of both male and female players who recently won a big title :zzz:

mooncreek
08-08-2011, 04:10 AM
Gimeldouche, hands down. It takes a lot for me to be thankful for Brad Gilbert's voice but Justin manages to do that.

Though I have to agree about Rusedski and have to throw in Boris Becker. Luckily, I haven't heard either one too often.

tektonac
08-08-2011, 04:27 AM
john is great + has a good sense of humor. robbie koenig's hyperbolas are unmatched (ball landed like a butterfly with the broken legs) :haha: aussies are also fun to listen to, cahill, stolle, etc ..

The Freak
08-08-2011, 04:32 AM
Gimelstob is the worst from the list...the all-time worst though has to be Navratilova, if I don't mute the TV when she is calling a match I get the urge to hurt somebody. She NEVER shuts the hell up.

yesh222
08-08-2011, 04:37 AM
Gimelstob is terrible, Gilbert is bad for a whole bunch of reasons.

But none of them come anywhere close to the unattainable level of nuisance that is Barry McKay (sp?).

out_here_grindin
08-08-2011, 05:29 AM
I like Gilbert overall but he needs to stop ASAP with the nicknames and wrong pronounciation of names.

cezero
08-08-2011, 05:33 AM
I like Gilbert overall but he needs to stop ASAP with the nicknames and wrong pronounciation of names.

people, you have to understand that he does it out of necessity.

i'm not a pathologist, but he clearly has major speech impediments. he can't say their names properly, and he covers it up by coming up with the anglicanized (Rafael Nadal became Ralph Nadle to him for months) pronunciations, or just using some stupid nickname that's easier for him to say than some eastern european name with a bunch of k's, s's, z's in close proximity to one another.

there's no correlation between speech impediments and intelligence, of course, but gilbert doesn't strike me as quite bright.

out_here_grindin
08-08-2011, 05:44 AM
does it excuse calling Tomic "Weekend at Bernie's"? That's one of his worst, along with Sharapova being Shazza

tennisfan856
08-08-2011, 05:46 AM
gilbert is almost an absolute necessity to be included in the broadcasting team. He brings energy and enthusiasm every day, and he seems to be up front and honest unlike his sarcastic counterparts (fowler and pmac). He is a bandwagoner and has those nicknames, but it would be a really boring experience if you just had pmac, fowler, mary joe, shriver, and the two old farts commentating for you. Darren Cahill is great, but i dont think he will remain a commentator that much longer. Some player is bound to snatch him and i can see it in him that he wants to coach badly.

evilmindbulgaria
08-08-2011, 05:51 AM
does it excuse calling Tomic "Weekend at Bernie's"? That's one of his worst, along with Sharapova being Shazza

:superlol: This one takes the cake :superlol:

out_here_grindin
08-08-2011, 05:56 AM

there's no correlation between speech impediments and intelligence, of course, but gilbert doesn't strike me as quite bright.

Well if I learned anything from Rise of the Planet of the Apes if you are smart enough you can force your physically unable vocal cords to speak.

tribalfusion
08-08-2011, 06:02 AM
gilbert is almost an absolute necessity to be included in the broadcasting team. He brings energy and enthusiasm every day, and he seems to be up front and honest unlike his sarcastic counterparts (fowler and pmac). He is a bandwagoner and has those nicknames, but it would be a really boring experience if you just had pmac, fowler, mary joe, shriver, and the two old farts commentating for you .

This. I couldn't agree more.

moon language
08-08-2011, 06:36 AM
gilbert is almost an absolute necessity to be included in the broadcasting team. He brings energy and enthusiasm every day, and he seems to be up front and honest unlike his sarcastic counterparts (fowler and pmac). He is a bandwagoner and has those nicknames, but it would be a really boring experience if you just had pmac, fowler, mary joe, shriver, and the two old farts commentating for you. Darren Cahill is great, but i dont think he will remain a commentator that much longer. Some player is bound to snatch him and i can see it in him that he wants to coach badly.

I agree with this.

Also it will be unfortunate if Cahill leaves because he in particular seems to pair well with Gilbert.

MIMIC
08-08-2011, 06:39 AM
But none of them come anywhere close to the unattainable level of nuisance that is Barry McKay (sp?).

What he does shouldn't even be considered commentating. He's more like instant replay :lol:

Mountaindewslave
08-08-2011, 06:41 AM
cliff is annoying as shit lol old man needs to retire his voice makes me fall asleep watching tennis matches which is the last thing we want

Intheshadows
08-08-2011, 06:41 AM
aussies are also fun to listen to, cahill, stolle, etc ..

You obviously have never had to endure John Alexander. I reckon the people in his electorate voted him into parliament so they didn't have to hear him commentate anymore. I do miss Courier trolling him in the commentary box though.

Mountaindewslave
08-08-2011, 06:43 AM

i'm not a pathologist, but he clearly has major speech impediments. he can't say their names properly, and he covers it up by coming up with the anglicanized (Rafael Nadal became Ralph Nadle to him for months) pronunciations, or just using some stupid nickname that's easier for him to say than some eastern european name with a bunch of k's, s's, z's in close proximity to one another.

that is not true at all. clearly he can speak just fine, and much better than you in all liklihood. That fact is he is a silly guy and it's not so much that he can't speak correctly as much as he enjoys saying the names however is comfortable to him and therefore makes knicknames to suit himself. move on and don't insult a man's intelligence for how he chooses to pronounce things. He's getting payed the big bucks by ESPN to talk about tennis so obviously he can speak WELL enough.

philosophicalarf
08-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Some of the 250 commentators make me cry.

cezero
08-08-2011, 08:03 AM
that is not true at all. clearly he can speak just fine...

yes, it is true, whether you care capable of understanding it or not.

his first year with espn, he tried pronouncing the names, and couldn't do it. not even some of the easier names that were non-anglican. he got tongue-twisted trying to say "rafael nadal," and eventually gave up and went with "ralph nadle" as the nickname until "rafa" caught on among american commentators.

Blackbriar
08-08-2011, 08:25 AM
not the whole world is listening american commentators, post this in the dedicated USA board.

cezero
08-08-2011, 08:32 AM
not the whole world is listening american commentators, post this in the dedicated USA board.

or you could just ignore it and let the majority of actual tennis fans who know names of former players and coaches talk about this.

toodles. :wavey:

Benny_Maths
08-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Eurosport is much better already.

"Oh yes!" (edit: oh wait that's sky sports)

I don't get animosity towards Dick Enberg and JMac, although the latter is a bit of a bandwagonner. Dick Enberg comes across as a passionate commentator and JMac brings an expert opinion to the table so for the most part, I think they make a great commentary team.

LawrenceOfTennis
08-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Any djokovic fangirl male commentator.

Action Jackson
08-08-2011, 09:22 AM
Hahaha, one of the few threads where people agree that most tennis commentary is as bad as tennis journalism.

Langers
08-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Kevin Skinner hands down. Thankfully he does the WTA more.

LawrenceOfTennis
08-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Every british commentator keep saying "brilliant" and that's annoying as fuck. Hate them all.

oranges
08-08-2011, 06:05 PM
The lowest of the low is that guy on betfair whose entire commentary is BH, FH, FH, BH, scoreline, ad infinitum. Can't believe he wasn't sacked after the first day.

cezero
08-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Leif Shiras is only slightly annoying....

....but I just noticed that he's fallen into the same habit of Bill Macatee when it comes to his hair.

Come on Leif, you are 52. That golden blonde dye job you've got going on just makes you look OLDER.:devil:

evilmindbulgaria
08-08-2011, 08:38 PM
I was watching the L.A. match between Bogomolov Jr and Dimitrov on an internet stream and the commentator kept calling Bogomolov "Dolgopolov" :lol: Anybody know the name of this clown? Sounds kinda middle aged and has an annoying voice.

LoveFifteen
08-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Pam Shriver

Oh please! :rolleyes:

Pam is perfectly tolerable compared to senile Dick Enberg, douchy Justin Gimelstob, clueless Ted Robinson, and confused Cliff Drysdale. :rolls:

Other than Dick Enberg (who is retiring after the US Open! :D), it's definitely Gimelstob for me.

Thank God Dick Enberg is retiring! He's so bad. :hearts:

Yappa
08-08-2011, 10:28 PM
I know many of those names, but not really as commentators, so since when is this an american forum?

cezero
08-08-2011, 10:38 PM
I know many of those names, but not really as commentators, so since when is this an american forum?

there is an option for "other" that non-american tennis fans have availed themselves of.

even though most poll choices are indeed american commentators, that doesn't make this some sort of a plot to make this an "american board," so please get over yourself.

move along now.

p.s. allowing threads solely about novak djokovic doesn't make this a "serbian board" either.

KaiserT
02-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Sky have signed Andrew Castle...... absolutely clueless as to why, maybe they feel they don't have a big enough market share of middle aged housewives and imbeciles.

Kip
02-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Jim Courier

gators0708
02-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Dave Mercer and his squeaky voice!

RagingLamb
02-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Still Drysdale. No one else even comes close.

the graduate
02-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Anyone In The Espn Booth...all Old And Gross...

Mr. Oracle
03-01-2012, 01:44 AM
They let dick enberg out of his box once a year but even that should be reconsidered. The others are not too bad and there's nothing like the mcenroe siblings' symbiotic chemistry. What they say just makes sense. Reminds me of the brilliant coen brothers in the film business.

KaiserT
03-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Castle at it again, apparently Murray played "fantastic tennis" today.