10 years of 9-11 .. ‘9-11-01’ to be painted next to US Open court [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

10 years of 9-11 .. ‘9-11-01’ to be painted next to US Open court

alfonsojose
08-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Remembering those who died that day :tears:
dCOu1CSgeCg

alfonsojose
08-12-2011, 06:28 PM
‘9-11-01’ to be painted next to US Open court
http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news?slug=ap-sept11-usopen

buddyholly
08-12-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm not sure I like that idea.
It is like saying people can't be trusted to remember as they themselves see fit.
On the other hand I think it appropriate for the police and firemen to be honoured, so maybe printing 9/11 courtside is OK.

Bottom line I guess is that politics should not be present - but remembering the victims is not politics.

Pirata.
08-12-2011, 08:37 PM
:sad:

I was only in 7th grade when it happened. My middle school is 25 miles from the largest air force base in the country, you can imagine as 12 year olds, maybe of whom had relatives working at the base, we were all terrified that it would be bombed to destroy all the military planes there, especially when we heard that one of the planes was hijacked as it got close to Cleveland, 3 hours north of us.

Terrible to watch it on television, some kids went home before lunchtime. A classmate's cousin worked at WTC but on a lower level floor and so they were okay.

Garson007
08-12-2011, 09:18 PM
:o I thought you were swiss.

Pirata.
08-12-2011, 11:58 PM
:lol:

No, I'm American :lol: I should probably change my location from Mirkaland to USA

straitup
08-13-2011, 04:33 AM
:sad:

I was only in 7th grade when it happened. My middle school is 25 miles from the largest air force base in the country

Wright-Patterson? Yeah that would be a little frightening...

I was in 5th grade in lovely upstate New York when we heard news of it from the teachers. We pretty much did nothing all day but we also didn't have very many TVs there so we didn't know exactly what was going on. When I got home I caught up...but it was so sad just to think of all the horror that was going on only 3 hours south in NYC.

Then my dad got deployed to Afghanistan 6 years later, when I was a junior in high school. The toughest time of my life so far but just a great feeling when he came back.

Anyway I like the idea, it's only for the finals, which one of them lands on 9/11, and it's definitely not so much political as it is about remembering those who died. No doubt there will be some people who protest it, the ones that think 9/11 was an inside job or made up or something. Not to mention, the US Open always seemed to look different for the early part of the decade, whether it was court color or the fact that the year was on the back walls. It's nice to have some customization again because the court has looked the same for about 3 years now