Would Nadal have won more matches if he elected to serve first? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Would Nadal have won more matches if he elected to serve first?

Gabe32
07-30-2011, 02:51 AM
I like that Nadal always opts to receive serve first. By doing that he kind of adds a mental aspect to the game right off the bat. But is it worth it overall? Would he have won more matches if he did the conventional thing and simply chose to serve? His serve has greatly improved recently ...

What do you think? Overall would Nadal have won more matches??

Also, does anyone know of any matches where Nadal served first? I guess the only way this could happen is if an opponent wins the toss and opts to receive.

born_on_clay
07-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Really hard to say but I think he has to chose to serve first from now on in any matches against Djokovic.
Too many mentall collapses from Rafa against Nole at *4-5 in the first sets

Start da Game
08-05-2011, 06:01 PM
i really think that the time has come to change that stupid tactic and start serving first......it din't matter at all some 3 or 4 years ago as he was primarily a clay courter and it din't matter all that much even until last year as he was in great form.......

he's now a real force on all surfaces with improvements in several aspects of the game and is usually one of the top two players to beat in any slam......so i really don't get this receiving tactic anymore......he should be the one to set the tempo and stay ahead.......it really helps especially when he's not on top of his game.......

against djokovic recently, i knew he was going to do the same mistake he did against fed in all those wimbledon finals......great players make you pay if you let the advantage slip......he was very brave to getaway with it in that 2008 final where he served behind all the time except the fourth set......

it never bothered me on slow surfaces but on a surface like grass you expect your player to choose to be proactive and not reactive......i was very disappointed with his foolishness that day.......

Foxy
08-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Of course he will but not many more. It is an advantage which he can use from now on especially against the top 4.

bilal..messi
08-05-2011, 09:12 PM
yes<i think rafa won if started by the serve

Crisstti
08-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Really hard to say but I think he has to chose to serve first from now on in any matches against Djokovic.
Too many mentall collapses from Rafa against Nole at *4-5 in the first sets

He really should. And he's had those mental collapses against other players too (first set against Murray in Wimbledon comes to mind). Not sure how much it would help, but it surely couldn't do any harm...

Mae
11-15-2011, 06:17 AM
I'm sure Rafa wants to receive first because his serve is really I think a very weak part of his game. Rafa himself is always saying how much he keeps working on it. And it has gotten better, but still isn't the strong part of his game.

Start da Game
11-15-2011, 08:07 PM
if i had a lame serve, i would rather serve first and get broken in the first game than in a 4-5 or 5-6 situation, because that way i will have 4 to 5 chances to break my opponent's serve to get back into the set......nadal knew he needed to change his stupid tactic of receiving and he did so in the us open final......everybody here thought i was overreacting about the toss after the wimbledon final, but look what nadal did in the us open final......coin toss is not as small a thing as people think, at least in pressure matches......winning the toss and electing to serve means half the scoreboard pressure relieved......

now listen very carefully......whoever wins the toss and asks federina to serve first is a thoughtless idiot and can pretty much forget the first set......cunning federina looks as if he is not at all bothered about the toss, but if you observe him over the first set in high pressure matches, you will see that he will be burning inside and shouting come-ons for no reason if he is the one receiving first and playing catch up all the time......

Mae
11-16-2011, 06:10 AM
You have made some very good points and it's not that I totally disagree with what you are saying it's just that players normally stay with what they are the most comfortable doing. And also what they like to do best which for Rafa is to receive. So he stays with that in his matches. As a fan I'm sure you know Rafa is very much into habits. I mean the bottles he drinks from have to be set down in the exact spots he wants them in on the court. So when it comes time for the coin toss Rafa elects to receive first, if he wins the toss. And come to think of it even if he doesn't win the coin toss he normally receives anyway because the other player elects to serve first :lol: It would be interesting to know who else elects to receive because now that you have me thinking about it I think the majority of players do elect to serve first, if they win the toss.

Start da Game
11-17-2011, 03:11 PM
if he really was so particular about receiving, he would not have made the right move finally in the us open final......i think he is finally sensing the importance of serving first and thinking about the toss these days, instead of raising eyebrows, shrugging shoulders, recklessly saying "receive" all the time like an idiot as if toss has zero significance......

Mae
11-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Well maybe Rafa is changing his ways? I know you certainly have gotten me thinking about how important it is to serve first. I honestly hadn't given it a thought until I saw this thread. And you have gone into its' importance in such detail. Thanks :)

Start da Game
11-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Well maybe Rafa is changing his ways? I know you certainly have gotten me thinking about how important it is to serve first. I honestly hadn't given it a thought until I saw this thread. And you have gone into its' importance in such detail. Thanks :)

always good to discuss things with posters like you, mae......too bad mods messed up your account and you had to make another account......

Mae
11-19-2011, 07:38 PM
always good to discuss things with posters like you, mae......too bad mods messed up your account and you had to make another account......

Well I know the Mods get blamed for a lot in MTF, but they didn't mess up my account I was the one that did that! Some things had happened and I got upset so I requested my account to be deleted. Stupid me what I didn't understand was the difference between the words "deleted" and "closed". If I would have said "closed" I would have been able to have the same account back, but I said "deleted" so I couldn't get the same account back :sad: :banghead: If you see posts with the number 16881 on them those were my old posts. I enjoy discussing tennis with you also :) You are much more knowledgeable that I am and can teach me a lot :D