Rafa Critical Discussion Thread For Fans [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rafa Critical Discussion Thread For Fans

FormerRafaFan
07-27-2011, 11:12 AM
This is NOT a troll thread or a haters thread. This thread is meant for serious discussions about Rafa, his game, and his opponents. This is for FANS who wants to talk about him and I decided to make a new thread, in order to not upset his fans who only wants to talk about all the positives about Rafa. I respect that. But I hope this thread will live, and not be taken down, so fans who are critical can discuss things too.

Again, this is NOT a haters thread, but meant as a critical discussion thread about Rafa. This is a thread where fans who are critical about his game (but still love him!) can come together and talk. But please, keep the discussion serious! And NO HATERS ALLOWED.

acionescu
07-27-2011, 12:14 PM
I have nothing to criticize about Rafa, he's perfect :worship: :worship:

star
07-27-2011, 02:39 PM

Indeed.

:angel: :angel: :angel:

Sonja1989
07-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Sokk, you are the only one who does it.

FormerRafaFan
07-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Sokk, you are the only one who does it.

Maybe because others feel they can't speak without getting shot down about it?

And besides.. this wasn't meant for guys who have nothing to say about his game. If you don't, then fine. I respect that. But please respect that others may have other opinions than you too.

I have been a fan of Rafa since he was 17, so for about 8 years now. I think we're allowed to criticize his game. I'm not talking criticizing Rafa himself, but HIS GAME.

Maybe Rafa is perfect, but his game certainly isn't, or else he wouldn't have lost to Nole 5 times in a row.

And back to what this thread was meant to be about, a serious discussion about what's wrong.. I would like to keep this thread on topic. If you don't like this thread or don't want to discuss it, then fine. But please realize that others may not share your opinion. Please respect those who want to discuss his issues.

I think it boils down to two things:

1. his serve. I am not impressed with his serve. Even in Wimbledon, it was never really a force, and he double faulted a lot. He should really try to improve his serve. I don't get why he couldn't try and play with his USO serve under Wimbly too, but whatever..

2. I think he has a mental block against Nole. He has gotten under his skin, and the last bastion was Nole winning a slam final over Rafa. It seems like Rafa doesn't have the confidence to beat him.

JolánGagó
07-27-2011, 04:27 PM
:zzz:

FlameOn
07-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Sokk is not a hater people. She's just frustrated. I am too. I think as fans we ought to be. Nole is not suddenly too good for Rafa, a lot of it's to do with Rafa as well, and his inability to adjust or raise his game accordingly. I think they should be splitting their matches at least, not turning it into a Roddick-Federer type matchup.

My 2c is Rafa needs to play more aggressively - out of his comfort zone a bit. He's not going to grind Nole off the court. Lord knows he's tried that the last 5 finals and it's worked about 0% of the time.

star
07-28-2011, 12:39 AM
Sokk is not a hater people. She's just frustrated. I am too. I think as fans we ought to be. Nole is not suddenly too good for Rafa, a lot of it's to do with Rafa as well, and his inability to adjust or raise his game accordingly. I think they should be splitting their matches at least, not turning it into a Roddick-Federer type matchup.

My 2c is Rafa needs to play more aggressively - out of his comfort zone a bit. He's not going to grind Nole off the court. Lord knows he's tried that the last 5 finals and it's worked about 0% of the time.

You think we ought to be frustrated with a player who has won 10 grand slams and a career grand slam?

Seriously?

:lol:

Getta
07-28-2011, 02:09 AM
She's just frustrated. I am too. I think as fans we ought to be.

you still love rafa regardless, but it'd be better if he won wimbledon, huh?

i smell donkey shit.

Getta
07-28-2011, 02:31 AM
Maybe because others feel they can't speak without getting shot down about it?

And besides.. this wasn't meant for guys who have nothing to say about his game. If you don't, then fine. I respect that. But please respect that others may have other opinions than you too.

I have been a fan of Rafa since he was 17, so for about 8 years now. I think we're allowed to criticize his game. I'm not talking criticizing Rafa himself, but HIS GAME.

Maybe Rafa is perfect, but his game certainly isn't, or else he wouldn't have lost to Nole 5 times in a row.

And back to what this thread was meant to be about, a serious discussion about what's wrong.. I would like to keep this thread on topic. If you don't like this thread or don't want to discuss it, then fine. But please realize that others may not share your opinion. Please respect those who want to discuss his issues.

I think it boils down to two things:

1. his serve. I am not impressed with his serve. Even in Wimbledon, it was never really a force, and he double faulted a lot. He should really try to improve his serve. I don't get why he couldn't try and play with his USO serve under Wimbly too, but whatever..

2. I think he has a mental block against Nole. He has gotten under his skin, and the last bastion was Nole winning a slam final over Rafa. It seems like Rafa doesn't have the confidence to beat him.

sokk, you're hellishly annoying and noisy.

FlameOn
07-28-2011, 03:26 AM
You think we ought to be frustrated with a player who has won 10 grand slams and a career grand slam?

Seriously?

:lol:

I'm not a fan of Rafa to the extent these losses hurt bad (or even much at all), but all I'm saying is that there's nothing wrong with being frustrated with 5 straight final losses to a guy he should be at least aplitting the meetings with.

Mimi
07-28-2011, 03:34 AM
I'm not a fan of Rafa to the extent these losses hurt bad (or even much at all), but all I'm saying is that there's nothing wrong with being frustrated with 5 straight final losses to a guy he should be at least aplitting the meetings with.

me too :mad:

Getta
07-28-2011, 03:50 AM
:zzz:

Getta
07-28-2011, 03:54 AM
She's just frustrated. I am too. I think as fans we ought to be.

so, you're a fan of Rafa to the extent these losses hurt bad

I'm not a fan of Rafa to the extent these losses hurt bad (or even much at all)...

:stupid:

Ilovetheblues_86
07-28-2011, 04:06 AM
Losing 5 finals to djokovic cough cough losing 4 rgs to Nadal whats wrong with Federerrrr?? Frutration, sadness and hate. I hate Nadal.

Dont worry sokk, Metternich is sending Murray to defeat Djokovic and bring balance to the force. :p

FlameOn
07-28-2011, 04:12 AM
so, you're a fan of Rafa to the extent these losses hurt bad

:stupid:
What's your point? Frustration and hurt is different.

star
07-28-2011, 04:29 AM

I think if you want to be frustrated thats fine. But you said fans OUGHT to be frustrated. That's the part I find objectionable.

I don't think as a fan I'm obligated to feel frustrated by a player who has accomplished so much.

I'm a fan of plenty of players who are frustrating. Rafa isn't one of them.

Getta
07-28-2011, 05:22 AM
This thread is utter crap.

there's little surprise :lol:

You wanted your fan thread, you got it, now it doesn't suit you you want a third one. Fuck off.

we have no option but to let her have the breathing space she needs to express her plebeian spiritualism. :) :) :)

FormerRafaFan
07-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Why can't you respect that others have other opinions than yourself?

I said this is a thread for fans who want to discuss what's wrong with his game. Please respect that. You could always just ignore the thread if you don't like it.. but please, let the fans who actually want to discuss, discuss it.

FormerRafaFan
07-28-2011, 08:33 AM
there's little surprise :lol:

we have no option but to let her have the breathing space she needs to express her plebeian spiritualism. :) :) :)

Yep, because personal attacks will accomplish anything :rolleyes:

I made this thread so fans who want to discuss his game can discuss it. I'm not forcing anyone. If you don't like it, then just ignore the thread. But please respect those with other opinions than yourself.

I made this thread exactly because I couldn't talk about it in the other thread because people were upset if I mentioned anything wrong with Rafa's game. I didn't want to upset them anymore, so I said that the other thread will only be for positivity and this thread will be for critical discussion, so obviously a bit more negative. I want us to get along. So those people not liking this thread can just ignore it. I think it's really low however to attack someone just because they have a different opinion than yourself.

FormerRafaFan
07-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Losing 5 finals to djokovic cough cough losing 4 rgs to Nadal whats wrong with Federerrrr?? Frutration, sadness and hate. I hate Nadal.

Dont worry sokk, Metternich is sending Murray to defeat Djokovic and bring balance to the force. :p

LOL.. I certainly hope so! ;)

JolánGagó
07-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Why can't you respect that others have other opinions than yourself?

I said this is a thread for fans who want to discuss what's wrong with his game. Please respect that. You could always just ignore the thread if you don't like it.. but please, let the fans who actually want to discuss, discuss it.

Said the one who spent days and lot of bandwidth trying to shut down Rafachat, a thread she's never posted in, cuz it didn't suit her tastes.

acionescu
07-28-2011, 09:25 AM
As the one who loves the blues said, tennis is a matter of match-ups. I cant criticize him, the same game that brought him so much glory is matching up badly with Djokovic's. Nole has now his place in the spotlight(:bigcry: :bigcry:), i'm confident it will not last forever, if not for the lack of gluten Rafa would have 2 GS and 5 MS this year with the exact same game :shrug:

he'll find a way, I'm sure....

Getta
07-28-2011, 10:51 AM
I think it's really low however to attack someone just because they have a different opinion than yourself.

as we Greeks say, "The donkey called the rooster bigheaded".

Said the one who spent days and lot of bandwidth trying to shut down Rafachat, a thread she's never posted in, cuz it didn't suit her tastes.

:rolls:

Getta
07-28-2011, 10:53 AM
sokk what i will make clear to you is this, enough is enough.

wildegirl05
07-28-2011, 02:04 PM
good thread, sokk. we need to practice constant vigilance in the rafa forum to avoid comparisons to vb :yeah:

star
07-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Yep, because personal attacks will accomplish anything :rolleyes:

I made this thread so fans who want to discuss his game can discuss it. I'm not forcing anyone. If you don't like it, then just ignore the thread. But please respect those with other opinions than yourself.

I made this thread exactly because I couldn't talk about it in the other thread because people were upset if I mentioned anything wrong with Rafa's game. I didn't want to upset them anymore, so I said that the other thread will only be for positivity and this thread will be for critical discussion, so obviously a bit more negative. I want us to get along. So those people not liking this thread can just ignore it. I think it's really low however to attack someone just because they have a different opinion than yourself.

I have an opinion that is different than yours. I'm expressing it. Surely a thread made specifically for critical review is entitled to a little critical review itself.

Bottom line is that no one can create a thread and then demand that only "this" and not "that" shall be posted in it. You wanted a thread for controversial discussion, and now you have it.

good thread, sokk. we need to practice constant vigilance in the rafa forum to avoid comparisons to vb :yeah:

:rolls: :rolls:

Says the Federer fan. :lol: :lol:

I'm not exactly sure you are allowed to post in here anyway. :( :(

Kishan
07-28-2011, 06:31 PM
He's regressed a little back to his clay court only game where he seems content on playing defense, defense, defense.

The times where I've watched him this year, he's stood TOO far behind the baseline to recieve serve and that automatically puts him on the defensive because his return of serve isn't going deep enough.

However he's good enough to turn his defense to attack against most players which is why he's made all those finals and won RG this year(clay especially rewards that type of play because it's easier to do that on clay). In actual fact, I'd say that he was lucky enough to play Roger because he has the mental edge over Roger on clay. Something he wouldn't have had against Novak.

Also, Nadals backhand has become a major weakness. I don't remember it being such a major liability in his game. He'd whip his forehand with venom, but his backhand is this compact, very much less penetrating shot which gives players a chance to get back into the rally. I saw that against Novak at Indian Wells and in Miami, and its something Novak exploited. It's not a shot, at least this year, which Nadals seemed comfortable with, to ideally hit winners off of.

In general, I think the only thing holding Nadal back is his mentality. He isn't as aggressive, ready to take the point on, ready to boss the point anymore like he was last year.

wildegirl05
07-28-2011, 06:57 PM
I have an opinion that is different than yours. I'm expressing it. Surely a thread made specifically for critical review is entitled to a little critical review itself.

yes, but the question here is the location of that critical review of the thread for critical review. i think the thread that is about critically reviewing this thread should be housed in non-tennis :D

Bottom line is that no one can create a thread and then demand that only "this" and not "that" shall be posted in it. You wanted a thread for controversial discussion, and now you have it.

i think she can freely invoke the "off-topic" rule and say that she didn't intend for this to be a chat thread.

sokk :hug: you can hire me for 1,001 vcash. i will charge you a premium over what i charged star.

:rolls: :rolls:

Says the Federer fan. :lol: :lol:

why does it matter who else i support if i am in favor of critical discussions of rafa's game? :shrug: you support nole - are you saying no "rafole" fans would support critical discussions of rafa's game? terrible generalization, starina.

I'm not exactly sure you are allowed to post in here anyway. :( :(

i've never given anyone any reason to doubt i'm not a rafa fan. even ild accepts that there's a "dal" in fedal :sport:

star
07-28-2011, 08:52 PM
i've never given anyone any reason to doubt i'm not a rafa fan. even ild accepts that there's a "dal" in fedal :sport:

Don't even try. We all remember VerdascoAOGate. :nerner:

Now, Kishan. That's a real Rafa fan. :yeah:

Castafiore
07-29-2011, 06:46 AM
Don't go there, you non-emailreplyingwhatsyourexcusethistime kwistenbiebel.

My theory is that most Fedals only have the 'dal' bit in there because Rafa is in fact a Fedtard himself :( so the "dal" bit could/should be replaced by "fedtard": fedfedtard but that sounds lame so it's fedal. :rolleyes:
Many claim to like nadal but in fact, what they like is how adoringly he can look to and talk about their Rogiewogie.

bokehlicious
07-29-2011, 06:54 AM
Don't go there, you non-emailreplyingwhatsyourexcusethistime kwistenbiebel.

My theory is that most Fedals only have the 'dal' bit in there because Rafa is in fact a Fedtard himself :( so the "dal" bit could/should be replaced by "fedtard": fedfedtard but that sounds lame so it's fedal. :rolleyes:
Many claim to like nadal but in fact, what they like is how adoringly he can look to and talk about their Rogiewogie.

Nonsense, the two biggest fedals on these boards are bonnie the cat and arkulari and both clearly are waaaaaaay more feDAL than FEDal fans........

Castafiore
07-29-2011, 07:02 AM
pish posh

Fedal #1 & Fedal #2 don't dislike Rafa which makes them a Rafatard in your eyes but you only have to see how defensive Arkulari gets about Fed vs anybody who is less than flattering about her Rogie and at the same time, observe how she doesn't give a damn about attacks on Nadal. (which is fair enough in itself but the double standard in this is funny: the best part is when she's going after a Rogie-hater by applauding a Rafa-hater)

bokehlicious
07-29-2011, 07:04 AM
Stop reading GM with your pinky glasses Hilde and you might see it slightly differently :o :p

Castafiore
07-29-2011, 07:12 AM
Balderdash

Besides, the non-emailreplying kwistenbiebel still has some ground to stand on when she's trying to convince us of her 'dal' status, shaky as it may be, but you're a hater so what are you doing in here?

Mimi
07-29-2011, 07:13 AM
pish posh

Fedal #1 & Fedal #1 don't dislike Rafa which makes them a Rafatard in your eyes but you only have to see how defensive Arkulari gets about Fed vs anybody who is less than flattering about her Rogie and at the same time, observe how she doesn't give a damn about attacks on Nadal. (which is fair enough in itself but the double standard in this is funny: the best part is when she's going after a Rogie-hater by applauding a Rafa-hater-

I think it is pretty obviously that Karin and Nat loved Roger more than Rafa coz as you mentioned, they defended Roger more. And before she was named Arkulari, Nat's first user name was Mrs Fedex, so its obvious that she is a more roger fans :shrug:

Mimi
07-29-2011, 07:18 AM
He's regressed a little back to his clay court only game where he seems content on playing defense, defense, defense.

The times where I've watched him this year, he's stood TOO far behind the baseline to recieve serve and that automatically puts him on the defensive because his return of serve isn't going deep enough.

However he's good enough to turn his defense to attack against most players which is why he's made all those finals and won RG this year(clay especially rewards that type of play because it's easier to do that on clay). In actual fact, I'd say that he was lucky enough to play Roger because he has the mental edge over Roger on clay. Something he wouldn't have had against Novak.

Also, Nadals backhand has become a major weakness. I don't remember it being such a major liability in his game. He'd whip his forehand with venom, but his backhand is this compact, very much less penetrating shot which gives players a chance to get back into the rally. I saw that against Novak at Indian Wells and in Miami, and its something Novak exploited. It's not a shot, at least this year, which Nadals seemed comfortable with, to ideally hit winners off of.

In general, I think the only thing holding Nadal back is his mentality. He isn't as aggressive, ready to take the point on, ready to boss the point anymore like he was last year.

great analysis, Kirshan :bigclap:

Castafiore
07-29-2011, 07:18 AM
she was mrs. fedex? :lol: Didn't know that.
Makes sense, though.

Mimi
07-29-2011, 07:24 AM
she was mrs. fedex? :lol: Didn't know that.
Makes sense, though.

yeah, may be you forgot, she used MrsFedex for at least a few months if i was right :scratch:

!VamosRafa!
07-29-2011, 11:38 AM
This is NOT a troll thread or a haters thread. This thread is meant for serious discussions about Rafa, his game, and his opponents. This is for FANS who wants to talk about him and I decided to make a new thread, in order to not upset his fans who only wants to talk about all the positives about Rafa. I respect that. But I hope this thread will live, and not be taken down, so fans who are critical can discuss things too.

Again, this is NOT a haters thread, but meant as a critical discussion thread about Rafa. This is a thread where fans who are critical about his game (but still love him!) can come together and talk. But please, keep the discussion serious! And NO HATERS ALLOWED.

I completely agree! I have been following Rafa since 2005.
I think it's ok to criticize his game because clearly there are some flaws. It doesn't make us bad fans, we're just unhappy :awww:

!VamosRafa!
07-29-2011, 11:41 AM
1. He has to serve better
2. He has to improve his backhand
3. He has to play more aggressive
4. He has to take chances vs Djokovic
5. He has to be quicker
6. He has to attack Djokovic's 2nd serve

His game is a bit off, but he's still hot and sexy as hell and that's what matters :p

FormerRafaFan
07-29-2011, 11:51 AM
1. He has to serve better
2. He has to improve his backhand
3. He has to play more aggressive
4. He has to take chances vs Djokovic
5. He has to be quicker
6. He has to attack Djokovic's 2nd serve

His game is a bit off, but he's still hot and sexy as hell and that's what matters :p

Thanks for keeping this thread on topic! :) It got out of hand for a while.. too many people went off topic.

Anyway.. I pretty much agree with everything you said here! Especially his serve and backhand, which I see as his biggest flaws. I also agree that he needs to play a lot more aggresive. My worry though is that he has a mental block against Nole. It's like he is defeated before even stepping foot on court... and being mentally strong is the hardest thing to improve imo. He has been very good at being mentally strong in the past. I'd actually go so far as to say that he is the strongest player mentally, or at least he was until he lost 6 finals in a row to Nole. He needs to have faith in himself again. I believe that is really important.

Oh yeah.. I agree with your last sentence, he'll always be hot, not matter how much he sucks, lol. And that's a good thing. At least he'll have that! :)

FlameOn
07-29-2011, 11:41 PM
I think the first thing that came to mind is 'more aggressive' when I saw this thread. He's still trying to grind Nole off the court and it's not working.

Metis
07-30-2011, 09:04 PM
The first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread was: :facepalm:

MariaV
07-31-2011, 04:45 PM
Nonsense, the two biggest fedals on these boards are bonnie the cat and arkulari and both clearly are waaaaaaay more feDAL than FEDal fans........

Oh now I'm LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :superlol: :superlol: Those two could not be more FEDal!!!!!! :haha: :haha: :haha:

FormerRafaFan
08-01-2011, 10:26 AM
I think the first thing that came to mind is 'more aggressive' when I saw this thread. He's still trying to grind Nole off the court and it's not working.

I agree. Seems like he's playing way too passive and defensive. He needs to play more aggressive to win over Nole. Also, the backhand and serve need some work too, the same with his mental strength. His mental strength was definitely cracked when Nole won 5 times in a row.

FormerRafaFan
08-11-2011, 04:59 PM
OMG Nadal.. losing to Dodig :o I dislike Nole a lot, but Rafa is a headacse these days, and I am man (woman) enough to admit that Rafa does not deserve to be #1 the way he's playing these days. It's just embarrassing. He needs to get his head together.

People in here said that his game wasn't so bad.. after all, he only lost to Nole.

What do you say now after his R2 loss to DODIG of all players? Can you please just admit that his game is not where it should be?

MariaV
08-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Sokk! :wavey:
I only hope that Rafa too will see his game critically now. He is deluding himself that everything is fine and he played well, he has very serious mental issues and tactical issues in the match and tehcnical issues too.

FormerRafaFan
08-11-2011, 08:44 PM
I only hope that Rafa too will see his game critically now. He is deluding himself that everything is fine and he played well, he has very serious mental issues and tactical issues in the match and tehcnical issues too.

Hey Maria :wavey:

Nice to see you again!

I agree. Maybe Rafa finally realized his game is not where it should be and that he has some serious issues. Maybe this is a good thing in a way.. at least now he knows what doesn't work, and what he needs to work out and what he needs to improve if he wants to start winning again.

Rafaaah
08-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi all, I'd love to join this discussion!!

I'm awfully worried about Rafa's form lately; I mean what is wrong? Besides losing to Nole and having no confidence when up against Nole; I didn't see too much wrong with Rafa's game in 2011 up until last week!! But there seems to be a bigger case in hand. Its not about losing to Nole and having no confidence against one man, but it seems like Rafa is becoming less feared by others and he is also not standing up to everyone like he used to...why is the rafa?? Where is that raging bull???

I think Rafa needs to rely on shortening points; always winning long rallies and relying on opponent's errors will not win his matches forever. I like seeing Rafa go up to the net and he does it so well but not often enough. The Rafa from last year's USO has not really been exposed since the USO!! Where did that Rafa go? He was aggressive, playing quick points no? I'm confused and I hope Uncle Toni has all the answers and solutions if Rafa doesn't.

I agree that Rafa doesn't deserve to be no.1 at this moment in time but everytime I see Nole win another game, I want to literally rip someone's head off...I'd rather there be an even playing field if Rafa is not winning it all; I certainly don't want another man winning it all!!

Moreover, I was wondering if anyone knew what is Rafa's longest losing streak? He recently lost 2 matches in a row which I think is an extremely rare feat.
Wonder if there are any stats on his losing streaks; I remember he lost 3 matches in a row in the 2009 ATP WTF.

scarecrows
09-18-2011, 07:26 AM
sokk :tears:

MariaV
09-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Genci, critical of Rafa as always. :D :D :D

Metis
09-18-2011, 12:46 PM
sokk banned! Was she Genci's double account? :D

MariaV
09-18-2011, 12:50 PM
No idea whose double but Sokk is not banned, she's FormerRafaFan now. :shrug:

Metis
09-18-2011, 01:15 PM
I know sokk changed his name. I thought Genci's sudden grief was caused by a ban. :awww:

FlameOn
09-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Now that I've got a grip I can see Rafa's having a great year. If not for Nole he might have won three slams this year, just like last year, as well as 5 Masters Titles. Rafa's got a challenge on his hands but if anyone's up for a challenge it's our Rafa. :)

MariaV
09-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Now that I've got a grip I can see Rafa's having a great year. If not for Nole he might have won three slams this year, just like last year, as well as 5 Masters Titles. Rafa's got a challenge on his hands but if anyone's up for a challenge it's our Rafa. :)

Of course. As he said after the USO final, he has a clear goal now, easier to work. :) Maybe after that phenomenal last year he lost motivation a bit, just a little bit, because he is still better than anyone else except Djokovic.

Mimi
09-19-2011, 02:51 AM

:yeah:

Mimi
09-19-2011, 02:53 AM
it seems that the poster who is the most critical to poor Rafa is the thread starter, since she had left him for good :shrug::rolleyes: