Should FIFA re-institute the Golden Goal? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Should FIFA re-institute the Golden Goal?

Johnny Groove
07-18-2011, 11:51 AM
After watching the Women's World Cup and especially Brazil's epic fail in Copa America, I am wondering whether or not PK's are the best way to close a game after 120 minutes.

I just don't like how 2 teams can play for 2 hours and then have the game decided by basically Russian Roulette. Sort of like the 5th set tiebreaker at the USO. I'd rather have them play advantage set. 8-6, 9-7, 10-8, etc.

Plus, when teams know they have PK's to rely on, you see teams just kicking it around waiting for the whistle to blow. :shrug:

What say you?

out_here_grindin
07-18-2011, 12:07 PM
If they eliminate pks then they need to give each team an additional 3 subs for extra time.

Gagsquet
07-18-2011, 12:51 PM
I agree. Golden goal is great. It gave a inimitable dramatic dimension.

And PKs are really unfair.

MaxPower
07-18-2011, 01:10 PM
No way. Golden Goal was removed for the very reason that it made teams to hesitant to attack because one goal would decide it and then it is too risky to attack with many players because it leaves you open if you get countered. That made the overtime an exhibition in defensive play where the occasional horrible mistake or goalkeeper failure lead to a golden goal. Having a chance to actually get back even if you get scored on opened up the overtime again.

Plus, when teams know they have PK's to rely on, you see teams just kicking it around waiting for the whistle to blow. :shrug:

That was one reason for removing the golden goal actually.

And to be entirely fair PK isn't entirely a russian roulette. Miss your first 3 like the US did in the finals vs Japan is simply unforgivable. The player got all the advantage in the world and the quality of PKs was laughable. Probably it was part fatigue, part nerves but that's what makes it interesting and such a trial for a team.

If US had put their best, most experienced player to take the first shot and scored then it would have turned out differently. I have honestly never seen a team miss the first 3 shots ever and I have seen countless penalty shootouts. It's one thing to make an awesome penalty shot and have it hit the post or the keeper doing an amazing save. It's another thing to shot it 5m over or a weak lame shot on the keepers side.

It's not an optimal way to close a match but it isn't in other sports either and if you don't have the balls for it then don't let it go to penalties. US twice failed to defend a lead, they can't really complain about the PKs then. Just like Brazil they had the most to lose in the PK and they let it get to them. Just like a tennis player can choke a tiebreak they choked in the PK.

bokehlicious
07-18-2011, 01:19 PM
No.

If the one in OP's avi was any good then the US would've won the PK's. Japan was better. Period.

Lopez
07-18-2011, 01:19 PM
No. Golden goal was not football IMO. I'm all for making the game more modern with goal cameras and such, but a 30-minute extra time is how it's been done for ages in football and it should continue as such.

It's also not good if you don't have penalties nor the golden goal, then you might end up with a match where both teams are exhausted and the winner won't have any chance in the next match.

buddyholly
07-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Reinstate maybe.

Re-institute, probably not.

Purple Rainbow
07-18-2011, 02:59 PM
After the match, first have the penalty shoot-out.
After the penalties, play the extra time (with or without golden goal).
If after extra time the game is still tied, the team that won the penalty shootouts wins.

Often we see matches where teams are more scared to lose than eager to win. By having the penalty shootout first, you make sure that one team definitely has to score, which makes the extra time more exciting.

Sauletekis
07-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Goalden Goal was the most unfair thing ever in football. I'm glad it never comes back!

jayjay
07-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Golden and Silver goal can well and truly fuck off.

GSMnadal
07-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Haha did you see the penalties? Russian roulette my ass... biggest horror show I've seen since the Dutch vs. Italy at Euro 2000

Golden goal is really unfair in my opinion, because football isn't/shouldn't be a game of 'who scores first'. That's what makes the Germans so great (and what makes them so annoying :lol: ), they always find that extra something in the last couple of minutes. The golden goal would eliminate that quality, which just isn't right.
But I love the excitement that it brings, that dramatic moment when you score the winner and realize that you've ended it, especially if it's the final (euro 2000 final, I believe?)

Penalties are equally exciting and more fair. They are a perfect test of technique, mentality and composure = FOOTBALL

jonathancrane
07-18-2011, 05:16 PM
No.

fast_clay
07-18-2011, 06:22 PM
what a f**king stupid idea... yanks lost... :lol: that is sport... :haha:

scarecrows
07-18-2011, 06:27 PM
no thanks

and penalties are not just luck. It's a question of practice and holding the nerves

Nathaliia
07-18-2011, 06:30 PM
If after extra time the game is still tied, the team that won the penalty shootouts wins.

Often we see matches where teams are more scared to lose than eager to win. By having the penalty shootout first, you make sure that one team definitely has to score, which makes the extra time more exciting.
sounds great tbh

Johnny Groove
07-18-2011, 07:26 PM
No way. Golden Goal was removed for the very reason that it made teams to hesitant to attack because one goal would decide it and then it is too risky to attack with many players because it leaves you open if you get countered. That made the overtime an exhibition in defensive play where the occasional horrible mistake or goalkeeper failure lead to a golden goal. Having a chance to actually get back even if you get scored on opened up the overtime again.

And to be entirely fair PK isn't entirely a russian roulette. Miss your first 3 like the US did in the finals vs Japan is simply unforgivable. The player got all the advantage in the world and the quality of PKs was laughable. Probably it was part fatigue, part nerves but that's what makes it interesting and such a trial for a team.

If US had put their best, most experienced player to take the first shot and scored then it would have turned out differently. I have honestly never seen a team miss the first 3 shots ever and I have seen countless penalty shootouts. It's one thing to make an awesome penalty shot and have it hit the post or the keeper doing an amazing save. It's another thing to shot it 5m over or a weak lame shot on the keepers side.

It's not an optimal way to close a match but it isn't in other sports either and if you don't have the balls for it then don't let it go to penalties. US twice failed to defend a lead, they can't really complain about the PKs then. Just like Brazil they had the most to lose in the PK and they let it get to them. Just like a tennis player can choke a tiebreak they choked in the PK.

Interesting opinion here.

No.

If the one in OP's avi was any good then the US would've won the PK's. Japan was better. Period.

I still love her and would still do her.

Now this is interesting.

Haha did you see the penalties? Russian roulette my ass... biggest horror show I've seen since the Dutch vs. Italy at Euro 2000

Golden goal is really unfair in my opinion, because football isn't/shouldn't be a game of 'who scores first'. That's what makes the Germans so great (and what makes them so annoying :lol: ), they always find that extra something in the last couple of minutes. The golden goal would eliminate that quality, which just isn't right.
But I love the excitement that it brings, that dramatic moment when you score the winner and realize that you've ended it, especially if it's the final (euro 2000 final, I believe?)

Penalties are equally exciting and more fair. They are a perfect test of technique, mentality and composure = FOOTBALL

Ok, well it seems the majority opinion here is not to get rid of penalties. Fair enough.

Har-Tru
07-18-2011, 09:22 PM

Thanks for saving me typing time. :yeah:

fast_clay
07-18-2011, 10:41 PM
i put it to you MTF, that the OP is suffering from some sort of acute fangirl sickness... an affliction with symptoms very similar to the ones Sweet Cleopatra displays... he has pretty much lost it...

if there is some support for it here, i would be happy to lobby to the mods to have the OP's thread starting privileges disabled... i feel it is becoming a problem for the forum...

Corey Feldman
07-18-2011, 10:43 PM
yes, football till 3AM!

Johnny Groove
07-19-2011, 12:13 AM
i put it to you MTF, that the OP is suffering from some sort of acute fangirl sickness... an affliction with symptoms very similar to the ones Sweet Cleopatra displays... he has pretty much lost it...

if there is some support for it here, i would be happy to lobby to the mods to have the OP's thread starting privileges disabled... i feel it is becoming a problem for the forum...

:lol:

More like, I was hearing many of the American sports talk shows saying that Golden Goal should return and decided to turn to my most trusted source of quality opinion, the Non-Tennis section of MTF :lol:

yes, football till 3AM!

:lol:

bokehlicious
07-19-2011, 07:53 AM
More like, I was hearing many of the American sports talk shows saying that Golden Goal should return

Sore losers. Had the Yanks won the PKs they wouldn't be debating it...

Johnny Groove
07-19-2011, 12:06 PM

Always negative, always bitter.

Poor guy.

bokehlicious
07-19-2011, 12:30 PM

Poor guy.

:hug: America will be winning again don't worry.

Jelena
07-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Please not

Okonsky
07-19-2011, 01:31 PM
no thanks

and penalties are not just luck. It's a question of practice and holding the nerves

Seconded...

Ivanatis
07-19-2011, 03:31 PM

exactly, or had the Japanese scored the first goal in OT

shotgun
07-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Stupid rule invented in the J-League in the 1990s and adopted (and eventually ditched) by FIFA, hope it never returns.

I'm glad FIFA never picked the 35-yard "free" shootout from the MLS.

Penalty shootouts are far from being a lottery.

SerialKillerToBe
07-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Nah, I was always a fan of decider by lots.

Only joshing.

Kolya
07-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Why remove Germany's advantage :p

Gagsquet
07-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Trezeguet agrees the OP :lol:

Action Jackson
07-20-2011, 09:58 AM
No

Place your penalties in the corner then it's not an issue. Pressure all on the kicker not the goalkeeper. As a former goalie, I don't support golden goal FIFA tried it, failed and got rid of it.

SloKid
07-20-2011, 10:21 AM

Poor guy.
He's right in this case though. :p

Elena.
07-20-2011, 12:47 PM
No way ,penalty shootout is awesome and a perfect resume of a match ,they are never casual..you can tell it right away by the face of a football player if he'll fail or succeed ,so it's up to the coach to select the right people for it and to the players if they feel they are up to it or not!

Black Adam
07-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Baggio agrees.