John Lennon or Paul McCartney [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

John Lennon or Paul McCartney

vn01
07-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Who do you think was the better one from their "The Beatles" period?

Both Lennon and McCartney are amazing singers(and songwriters). I love many of The Beatles' songs and my personal opinion is that the biggest hits are McCartney's, but most of the songs are Lennon's :)

I really can't decide who is better. I'll vote for Paul, because of "Yesterday" - the best song The Beatles have ever made, in my opinion :)

Certinfy
07-12-2011, 10:32 PM
John Lennon. Imagine is one of the greatest songs ever produced to me.

Just can't get over how he treated his first son and some other things, but then that's life as a celebrity I guess.

vn01
07-12-2011, 11:08 PM
John Lennon. Imagine is one of the greatest songs ever produced to me.

Just can't get over how he treated his first son and some other things, but then that's life as a celebrity I guess.

I was talking about the Beatles period, Jase ;) Not about their solo careers. But I 100% agree about "Imagine". What a great song it is!!! And of course "Watching the Wheels", "Stand by Me", "Jealous Guy"... masterpieces :)

Echoes
07-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Roger McGuinn !

(Imagine is the most inane song in history. I'm sick & tired of it)

vn01
07-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Roger McGuinn !

So, you really do not understand anything about music.

Dini
07-12-2011, 11:57 PM
How about both?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lny3xo4YqY1qa578so1_500.jpg

(Any excuse to post this little gem from Tapia Hidalgo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvarotapia/). :worship:)

I think the general opinion is that Paul McCartney was the bigger hit maker (Hey Jude, Yesterday, Obla di Obla da etc.) but that John Lennon's lyrics were deeper. I prefer Paul McCartney, but Lennon's legacy is there for a reason. His lead in Twist & Shout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA9maAERDAs) is unforgettable for me, just that perfect rock voice.

With regards to Imagine, I don't think having the opinion that it's inane makes you a music noob. Just a different point of view. :shrug: And let's face it, it's been played to death.

allpro
07-13-2011, 12:35 AM
mccartney was the melody maker, lennon the soul. different but equal.

post-beatles era much of paul's music was pure schlock. lennon > mccartney

buddyholly
07-13-2011, 01:29 AM
When they were doing rock'n'roll it was all Lennon all the time.

When they became boring pop stars, pretty boy Paul was more able to compete.

cobalt60
07-13-2011, 01:34 AM
I always preferred George.

vn01
07-13-2011, 07:11 AM
I always preferred George.

My favourite Beatles' song is "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" :D George is the lead vocal :worship: And he has many more really good songs :)

Manon
07-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Roger McGuinn !

^^^ That's too good.

OddJob
07-13-2011, 08:12 AM
I can't choose. I love Paul's pop sense and John's soul they were just a great team.

jonathancrane
07-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Both were at the same level during the Beatles period.
McCartney is really underrated for some people due all the garbage he has done on his solo career (altough he created some memorable songs and albums like "Band on the run")but during the 60's he was as good as Lennon.

JolánGagó
07-13-2011, 09:07 AM
"Imagine" is total crap, a sugary phylosophical pamphlet Lennon himself would be ashamed of if he was still alive these days.

bokehlicious
07-13-2011, 09:12 AM
john :cool:

Clashcityrocker
07-13-2011, 04:33 PM
John for me

Garson007
07-13-2011, 06:40 PM
I've always thought that the other Beatles were all underrated compared to Lennon, or was that just that Lennon is overrated...

Then again, these days the Beatles in general are overrated by some margin. They might indeed be the greatest band ever, especially of the time period, but it's time for people to move on and stop hyping them up.

Certinfy
07-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Then again, these days the Beatles in general are overrated by some margin. They might indeed be the greatest band ever, especially of the time period, but it's time for people to move on and stop hyping them up.
Oh come on, when you look at the shit we call 'music' today it's hard to not refer back to great bands like this.

Fujee
07-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Lennon for being daring and imaginative, a visionary if you like. Mc Cartney was the hit maker and melody writer, they each had their pros and cons, which is what made them so special. But i chose lennon because he was well ahead of his time. Even if Paul was the better hit song writer.

Fujee
07-13-2011, 09:35 PM
I've always thought that the other Beatles were all underrated compared to Lennon, or was that just that Lennon is overrated...

Bullshit, their ENTIRE catalogue is genius. They are timeless.

rocketassist
07-13-2011, 09:39 PM
McCartney for me, but they're 1 and 2 in the GOAT debate.

Oh boy. :haha: :haha:

Corey Feldman
07-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Neither of them

2 dippy hippy's who thought they were bigger than life itself coz they made a few successful songs

rocketassist
07-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Neither of them

2 dippy hippy's who thought they were bigger than life itself coz they made a few successful songs

Scotland's list of world famous musical icons:

Paolo Nutini?

Corey Feldman
07-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Rod Stewart

Sunset of Age
07-13-2011, 10:12 PM
SECOND best band to ever come from Liverpool. :worship:

My favourite of whatever any of the Beatles guys ever produced?
How about George Harrison's Beware of Darkness? :D

3p2hnmgYnhs

:worship: fantastic song!

When it comes to a discussion on Lennon vs. McCartney :boxing:, sorry. Both of them true greats.
My favourite Beatles song, however, is "Dear Prudence", and I guess that's one of Mr. Lennon's. :worship: :hearts: :inlove:

rocketassist
07-13-2011, 10:22 PM
SECOND best band to ever come from Liverpool. :worship:

My favourite of whatever any of the Beatles guys ever produced?
How about George Harrison's Beware of Darkness? :D

3p2hnmgYnhs

:worship: fantastic song!

When it comes to a discussion on Lennon vs. McCartney :boxing:, sorry. Both of them true greats.
My favourite Beatles song, however, is "Dear Prudence", and I guess that's one of Mr. Lennon's. :worship: :hearts: :inlove:

Who are the best from Liverpool?

Sunset of Age
07-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Who are the best from Liverpool?

These lovely Liverpudlian - or should I say, Scousers??? - fellows: Anathema (http://www.anathema.ws/).
I know, it's just me. Or... not at all. ;)

EDIT: and those guys truly recognize their great predecessors, here's Anathema performing an acoustic version of Eleanor Rigby- LIVE (http://soundcloud.com/adamskij/eleanor-rigby-w-danny-vincent-cavanagh) :angel:

rocketassist
07-13-2011, 10:48 PM
These lovely Liverpudlian - or should I say, Scousers??? - fellows: Anathema (http://www.anathema.ws/).

EDIT: and those guys truly recognize their great predecessors, here's Anathema performing an acoustic version of Eleanor Rigby- LIVE (http://soundcloud.com/adamskij/eleanor-rigby-w-danny-vincent-cavanagh) :angel:

Vince Cavanagh's hair is legendary.

They're unique for a scouse band, they're very K1.

Sunset of Age
07-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Vince Cavanagh's hair is legendary.

They're unique for a scouse band, they're very K1.

Top-notch band when it comes to current post-progressive atmospheric rock, right now.
I admit, I've just seen them perform live two days ago again - my #98273451th time I've seen them performing live, yeah :o - but oh yeah they're unique indeed.

This post brought to you by #1 Anathema Tard. :angel: :angel: :angel:

[EDIT]: Huh yeah, Vinnie got the voice, hair, and the looks, but Danny's got the talent. :p

Sorry for massive derailure of this thread.

Getta
07-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Scotland's list of world famous musical icons:

Rod Stewart

Annie Lennox

Getta
07-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Annie Lennox

Boards of Canada

Corey Feldman
07-13-2011, 11:47 PM
The Jesus and Mary Chain

dominated American in the 80's

Manon
07-14-2011, 01:42 AM

+1
Neither of them

+2

If I had to choose I'd go with John only because of 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'. Other than that both were tra-la-la, blah-blah in the right time, at the right place.

Lennon for being daring and imaginative

:facepalm:

--------------------------------

Hollies were better.

vn01
07-14-2011, 01:45 AM

Eleanor Rigby :inlove:

allpro
07-14-2011, 02:59 AM
If I had to choose I'd go with John only because of 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'.

the concept and driving force behind sgt. peppers was paul. john actually abhorred the idea at first.
(and if you're referring to the song, that too was written by mccartney.)

Manon
07-14-2011, 07:51 AM
No, because of:

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
Inspired by a painting by his almost four-year-old son Julian, who gave his work of art the same title, 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds' swiftly evolved into a kind of Lennon musical vision of Alice In Wonderland. The basic track, overdubs and mixing were all effected at different speeds giving the song an ethereal quality in keeping with the imaginative lyrics. Recording commenced in studio two at Abbey Road on March 1 1967. Album version mixed from take eight. Writer: John. Lead vocal: John. Producer: George Martin. Recording engineer: Geoff Emerick. Second engineer: Richard Lush.

Than:

Good Morning Good Morning
A John Lennon song initially inspired by a television commercial for cornflakes which then drifts into an everyday story about everyday, complete with a reference to the British TV comedy show Meet The Wife. The song includes a brass overdub by six musicians from Sounds Inc, rock music's very own big band, managed by Brian Epstein, and it ends with a succession of carefully compiled animal sound effects from the EMI collection, added to the song, to Lennon's specification, in an order whereby each successive animal is capable of frightening or devouring its predecessor. Recording commenced in studio two at Abbey Road on February 8 1967. Album version mixed from take 11. Writer: John. Lead vocal: John. Producer: George Martin.

Sgt Pepper (http://math.mercyhurst.edu/~griff/sgtpepper/sgt.html)

JolánGagó
07-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Neither of them

You think you're bigger than life coz you won some shitty Mr Whatever pageant here. Only your belly is bigger than life :bigwave:

Corey Feldman
07-14-2011, 10:06 AM
You think you're bigger than life coz you won some shitty Mr Whatever pageant here. Only your belly is bigger than life :bigwave:dont be sad because you lost to scarecrows about 5 years in a row, suck that

and those 5 Nadal-Nole finals lately? suck that as well

suck my trophy.

Dmitry Verdasco
07-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Y:)k:) :)n:)!!!

Echoes
07-14-2011, 01:18 PM
I fail to see in what way Lennon was more avant-guardist than McCartney.

Actually I had to vote for Paul because of his contribution to the progressiveness of music though his lyrics aren't any better than Lennon's. My fave is still George Harrison.

The Byrd-like jingle jangle folk rock song What You're Doing was McCartney's

The progressiveness of A Day in the Life (orchestration and dissonance) was McCartney's idea.

McCartney was the second musician to use a mellotron in pop music (after Mike Pinder, Moody Blues).

Oh and of course, McCartney & the Wings were much better than Lennon's post Beatle career !!

----------

Byrds were better. :D;)

vn01
07-14-2011, 02:04 PM
I fail to see in what way Lennon was more avant-guardist than McCartney.

Actually I had to vote for Paul because of his contribution to the progressiveness of music though his lyrics aren't any better than Lennon's. My fave is still George Harrison.

The Byrd-like jingle jangle folk rock song What You're Doing was McCartney's

The progressiveness of A Day in the Life (orchestration and dissonance) was McCartney's idea.

McCartney was the second musician to use a mellotron in pop music (after Mike Pinder, Moody Blues).

Oh and of course, McCartney & the Wings were much better than Lennon's post Beatle career !!

----------

Byrds were better. :D;)

Lennon's post Beatles career was much better. ;) What can you saw about "Stand By Me", "Jealous Guy", "Instant Karma", "Watching The Wheels" ;)

allpro
07-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Lennon's post Beatles career was much better. ;) What can you saw about "Stand By Me", "Jealous Guy", "Instant Karma", "Watching The Wheels" ;)

"stand by me" is a ben e. king song. plenty of artists have covered it.

jRbTJRT7SRQ

watershedmomentz
07-15-2011, 06:23 PM
john lennon all the way!!!

alfonsojose
07-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Paula Abdul in a landslide :)

bokehlicious
07-17-2011, 06:32 PM

The part Lennon wrote is what made the song such a great one...

Lopez
07-18-2011, 07:41 AM
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
Inspired by a painting by his almost four-year-old son Julian, who gave his work of art the same title, 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds'

Sorry but this is a BS story told to the media about how the song came about :lol:. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds stands for LSD.

As for the actual topic, I don't really have an opinion on which one is "better", if anyone can indeed compare musicality on such a scale, but from what my Beatles-freak brother has told me I've gotten the impression that Lennon was a bit of an a-hole. If that's the case, McCartney gets my vote :yeah:.

ssin
07-18-2011, 08:48 AM
In terms of music vision, concept, spirit, ideas, Lennon >>>>>>>>>>>>>> McCartney.
As a composer, Lennon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> McCartney

Measuring their pure musical talents for performing, they are roughly the same. Both John and Paul are great and unique performers.

As a businessman, the British-like "man of property", McCartney >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lennon

Lennon was naturally more intelligent, but also more naive. Both men were a bit cynical and prone to esoteric stuff, that was one of ingredients for their joint success in the Beatles.

Echoes
07-18-2011, 03:17 PM
The part Lennon wrote is what made the song such a great one...

What ??? McCartney gave it a structure that paved the way for all the great prog rock bands of the 70's. Without him, that song would have been a mere psychedelic song like there had been hundreds before its release.

Lennon's post Beatles career was much better. What can you saw about "Stand By Me", "Jealous Guy", "Instant Karma", "Watching The Wheels"

Jealous Guy is the one I really like.

Instant Kharma is OK.

Stand By Me, Allpro said it all.

I don't know the other one.

But none compare to Band on the Run by the Wings. A song that has a structure in it. Again, it sounds like prog.