Why can't I access the internets? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why can't I access the internets?

Mjau!
07-09-2011, 01:16 AM
Okay, so my computer totally crashed and I was all :confused: and :unsure: what to do, so I just decided to reinstall the windows thing. :shrug: So having done that, the PC is now kinda crippled and wants a service pack. But if I install that :stupid: service pack I instantly lose my internet connection! :cuckoo: This makes me very :( Why is it being such a d***??? :scratch:

buddyholly
07-09-2011, 04:12 AM
Call Dubya.

Dmitry Verdasco
07-09-2011, 04:32 AM
You just posted a thread so I think you're already accessing the internets....

Mjau!
07-09-2011, 04:42 AM
Call Dubya.

I don't know who that is.

You just posted a thread so I think you're already accessing the internets....

Ja, because I uninstalled the :cuckoo: thing. Duh! :rolleyes:

Dmitry Verdasco
07-09-2011, 05:16 AM
Apologies. I didn't actually read your post :hug:

Commander Data
07-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Get a mac.

Mjau!
07-09-2011, 04:13 PM
You're not very helpful :no:

Mjau!
07-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Frankly, I'm disappointed in your collective lack of helpfullnes.

Orka_n
07-09-2011, 05:13 PM
It's impossible to help you when we have that little information. It could be your network adapter that dislikes the service pack update for some reason, I dunno.

Listen, just call your computer manufacturer's customer service.

Certinfy
07-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Could be loads of reasons. :shrug:

Have you tried reinstalling the service pack?

gulzhan
07-09-2011, 05:16 PM

Nope. We are hopeful :secret:

Commander Data
07-09-2011, 06:57 PM

I would help if I could. Here is my best: Go to a computer forum. I'm sure some nerd knows the fix.

GSMnadal
07-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Just hit your computer a couple times, give your modem a couple shakes, hit the on/off button a 100 times, pull out random cables and put them in exactly the same place they were... my way of 'fixing it', and it usually works.

Mjau!
07-09-2011, 10:34 PM
It's impossible to help you when we have that little information. It could be your network adapter that dislikes the service pack update for some reason, I dunno.

Listen, just call your computer manufacturer's customer service.

This was my first bright idea, but you wouldn't believe what they told me! Apparently, I am no longer entitled to customer support because the computer is older than 2 years. :rolleyes: Outrageous policy! :cuckoo: I will never buy a Dell ever again. Never! :ras:

Could be loads of reasons. :shrug:

Have you tried reinstalling the service pack?

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.

I would help if I could. Here is my best: Go to a computer forum. I'm sure some nerd knows the fix.

Surely there are nerds at MTF as well??? :shrug:

Do you know a good site or should I just google "computer nerd forum"? :unsure:

Just hit your computer a couple times, give your modem a couple shakes, hit the on/off button a 100 times, pull out random cables and put them in exactly the same place they were... my way of 'fixing it', and it usually works.

What's a modem? :scratch:

Kolya
07-10-2011, 03:51 AM
I don't know who that is.

It is George W. Bush.

Commander Data
07-10-2011, 10:53 AM
I will never buy a Dell ever again. Never! :ras:

There you go. -> MAC

Surely there are nerds at MTF as well??? :shrug:

One would think so, but it doesn't appear like it.

Do you know a good site?

No. :D

cobalt60
07-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Try overclock.net - both my kids use it so I know it is a computer nerd site:p I have never been there so can't say from experience if it is the right place to get your questions answered. Good luck!

Mjau!
07-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Ha ha! It's working now! And you guys thought :cuckoo: Mjau! couldn't figure it out.
Well, the jokes on You! I know my way around a computer machine.

Orka_n
07-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Ha ha! It's working now! And you guys thought :cuckoo: Mjau! couldn't figure it out.
Well, the jokes on You! I know my way around a computer machine.How did you fix it and what was the problem?

Mjau!
07-10-2011, 04:18 PM
How did you fix it... and what was the problem?

Okay, here's what I did. I installed a newer service pack!

...and what was the problem?

:shrug:

Mjau!
07-10-2011, 07:52 PM
We has new problem everybody! Disqus doesn't work and Wikipedia is a mess!

Mjau!
07-11-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm clueless as to why (my best guess is mind-machine interaction), but everything seems to be working just fine now. :D I must have fixed it somehow. :yeah:

tennizen
07-11-2011, 02:36 PM
I always had my faith in you:hug:

Commander Data
07-12-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm clueless as to why (my best guess is mind-machine interaction), but everything seems to be working just fine now. :D

Thank god! I'm extremely relieved to hear this.

JolánGagó
07-12-2011, 02:43 PM
who gives a f*ck? smash the bloody laptop.

why is this rubbish thread clogging MTF arteries? :scratch:

Seingeist
07-15-2011, 04:50 AM
Orka was exactly right though. You did not provide us with nearly enough relevant information, such as:

Which version of Windows? XP, Vista, 7?
Do you use a wireless connection or a wired one?
Which service pack were you installing?
Does your computer recognize the network and fail to connect, or does it fail to see it at all?
Do you use Windows's built-in firewall or that of a third-party antivirus program?
Do you allow Windows to configure your connection, or do you use a third-party utility?

It was most likely a compatibility issue between the network adapter's driver and that service pack. Had the newer service pack not fixed the problem, you might simply have needed to update the driver for the network adapter.

FYI, it is not at all unusual for a large computer corporation not to offer free over-the-phone tech support for products out of warranty (and 2 years is a year outside most PC manufacturer warranties). Among many other reasons, this is because an enormous number of problems or issues (such as the one you were having) have virtually nothing to do with Dell and everything to do with Microsoft.