the "mallard SHOULD BE in madrid" thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

the "mallard SHOULD BE in madrid" thread

am&a
10-06-2004, 04:40 AM
if you've got an idea for a good title, do please share!

everyone's probably already seen this by now, but oh well...
http://www.tennis-masters-madrid.com/images/descargas/fondo_pant_RODDICK.jpg

MisterQ
10-06-2004, 04:54 AM
"Me llamo Andy. Quiero Pizza."

superpinkone37
10-06-2004, 05:03 AM
um, "Me llamo Duckboy. Quiero Pizza." lol

Deboogle!.
10-06-2004, 05:04 AM
:haha: I hadn't seen that promo ad! LMFAOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

As for the title...hmmmmm.. I don't know anything that's specifically attributed to Spain or Madrid that we could work in a Duck somehow...

superpinkone37
10-06-2004, 05:05 AM
oh yeah lol, i was too busy laughing at Q's title suggestion that i forgot to say something about the promo ad. i hadnt seen it either, LMAO :haha:
and yeah, surely someone can come up with a title :)...mallard in madrid? lol this is why i dont come up with these things ...

MisterQ
10-06-2004, 05:12 AM
um, "Me llamo Duckboy. Quiero Pizza." lol

:lol: there you go, i like that :)

Deboogle!.
10-06-2004, 05:16 AM
OOOOOO Mallard in Madrid I love it!! Yes, just edit the first post and change the title :)

that explains why I haven't seen it, I haven't had time to go to GM in a few days :)

Deboogle!.
10-06-2004, 05:24 AM
:hearts: perfect!!!

Deboogle!.
10-06-2004, 05:26 AM
I LOVE it :hearts:. I was just saying to people in an MSN chat maybe yesterday how much I adore your backwards smilies. I don't know why, but it just makes ME smile! (: ;)

Deboogle!.
10-06-2004, 05:31 AM
you SO are! You should get MSN and join the crazy fun! Ask Jiat, we totally freaked her out today, all of us in there at once and her LMFAO

superpinkone37
10-06-2004, 05:31 AM
I LOVE it :hearts:. I was just saying to people in an MSN chat maybe yesterday how much I adore your backwards smilies. I don't know why, but it just makes ME smile! (: ;)

lol i know i love that too. i dunno, its just kinda cute that your smilies are backwards (: lol
and wow, im surprised my title suggestion was taken seriously, lol.

superpinkone37
10-06-2004, 05:39 AM
this isnt school-- run on sentences are cool ;) lol
no but seriously, msn is a ton of fun especially when everyone is on it during a match or something. you should definatly get it...but a word of warning-- its addicting, lol

superpinkone37
10-06-2004, 06:27 AM
yep, mtf is addicting too lol. see ive already taken a shower and should be in bed cuz im always so tired in the morning, and what am i doing? i am on mtf once again. lol

oh and ill be sure to check out the other ads. :)

star
10-06-2004, 12:08 PM
:bigclap: for the title!

:lol: for the promo ad. It's great.

:haha: for Mister Q. Me llamo Andy. Quiero pizza. :haha:

tangerine_dream
10-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Mallard in Madrid ..... Me llamo Andy. Quiero pizza. :haha: :bigcry: Those are great! :yeah:

Thanks for posting that superhero pic of Andy, amanda. I hadn't seen it, either. Very cheesy, I love it. lol.

You know you're addicted to MTF when you check this place out before reading the news. Yikes. :scared:

star
10-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Of course you read this before you read the news!

Who wants to read about the icky election/war news before breakfast anyway?? :D

andyroxmysox12191
10-06-2004, 10:31 PM
um....not to sound stupid but what does Mallard in Madrid mean? lol
and yes the backward smilies are adorable! D: ok that doesnt exactly work out to be :D though
amanda, where did you find that promo? :sobbing: i've never seen it!

Deboogle!.
10-06-2004, 10:33 PM
a mallard is a kind of duck:)

andyroxmysox12191
10-06-2004, 10:40 PM
aaaaah gotcha :yeah:

Havok
10-06-2004, 11:22 PM
Phew I didn't have to ask the question. Thanks mani:D

andyroxmysox12191
10-07-2004, 12:23 AM
:lol: no problem nAldo :)

star
10-07-2004, 01:36 AM
http://www.azfotos.com/animals/birds/stockphotosagefotostock/L48-324774_aggressive_mallards.jpg

Picture of aggressive male Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos; alternatively Andy playslikearhino) chasing another male mallard in lake in springtime. Male mallards have green head most of the year.

RodFan08
10-07-2004, 01:47 AM
http://www.azfotos.com/animals/birds/stockphotosagefotostock/L48-324774_aggressive_mallards.jpg

Picture of aggressive male Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos; alternatively Andy playslikearhino) chasing another male mallard in lake in springtime. Male mallards have green head most of the year.

Chasing. More like drowning. It looks like ones trying to drown the other.:unsure: :haha:
So who is Andy supposed to be chasing ? Who's the other one?

PinkFeatherBoa
10-07-2004, 03:18 PM
"Me llamo Andy. Quiero Pizza."

:lol: @ Q.

The title of this thread is cool, I just love the Mallard duck. I only hope I get to make it to Madrid tournie :( because I'm already having live tournament withdrawal symptoms and it was only early July I last saw live tennis. Bah.

J. Corwin
10-07-2004, 07:24 PM
You're even worse than me. :lol: Last I saw live tennis was in February. :) I hope you get to go! Good luck with that. :)

I'm lovin this thread title. :cool:

Havok
10-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Well usually if people don't like to travel to see tennis, they kinda have one shot only at seing live tennis no?:p Anyways I get like a match a day from the remaiing TMS events so :banana: though indoor tennis macthes have been real duds these past 2 years, hopefully they show us a good match since by the time we get something aired, everything is all done for the most part.

Jennay
10-08-2004, 12:47 AM
Shut up, I haven't seen live tennis since 2002 :rolleyes:

Havok
10-08-2004, 01:12 AM
And you left when you could have seen a Dokic match.:fiery:

J. Corwin
10-08-2004, 01:21 AM
I've never seen Dokic live :( She never plays in Nor. Cal anymore doesn't she?

Havok
10-08-2004, 01:28 AM
What wta event is there in north carolina?

J. Corwin
10-08-2004, 01:49 AM
lmao. Nor. Cal = Northern California :lol:

There is Stanford. :)

Havok
10-08-2004, 02:17 AM
oh god carolina:retard: such a dumb moment I had there. Moving right along.

you mean stanford ie. bank of the west? She plays there all the time (had her infamous tank match vs Rubin there in 2002 when she got a phone call from daddy dearest minutes before the match started :rolleyes: ) She didn't play it this year because heck she's non-existent this year. She plays all of the california events, and she had an asweome san diego tournament in 02 beating capriati and kournikova in thrillers, both 3 sets.:drool:

Deboogle!.
10-08-2004, 03:14 AM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's the Friday before the tourney but i'm not positive.

Havok
10-08-2004, 03:26 AM
Yeah, probably Friday night, or like Saturday.

Deboogle!.
10-13-2004, 02:49 PM
:o people on the tourney forum are saying Andy might pull out? (Roger too, for that matter)

He better not :fiery:

tangerine_dream
10-13-2004, 02:54 PM
Can you imagine the celebration all the other players will have if both Andy and Roger DO pull out?

Deboogle!.
10-13-2004, 03:17 PM
He better not :fiery:

MisterQ
10-13-2004, 03:18 PM
If Andy and Roger pull out, I guarantee you that Andre will lose in the first round. :lol:

tangerine_dream
10-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Tennis Week now reports that Andy is "questionable" for Madrid.

*ducks out before the wrath of Deb arrives* :bolt: http://www.s-seriesforum.com/forum/images/smilies/couchsmiley.gif

Agassi Enters Madrid, Moya Out, Roddick Questionable
10/14/04

Andre Agassi will bring his game to Spain. The eight-time Grand Slam champion, who has ruled out an appearance in the United States' Davis Cup final against host Spain in December, is scheduled to arrive in Madrid tomorrow to begin practice for next week's Tennis Masters Series-Madrid.

It will be Agassi's first ATP tournament since he suffered a five-set quarterfinal setback to top-ranked Roger Federer at last month's U.S. Open. The 34-year-old Agassi will waste little time getting to work: he's scheduled for a hitting session with coach Darren Cahill shortly after arriving in Madrid.

"Agassi was due to have his first hit at the Rockodromo arena later in the day, hours after arriving," said a statement on the official Tennis Masters-Madrid web site. "The American's presence will help attendance at the penultimate Masters Series of the season, with doubts now surfacing about the availability of world number 2 Andy Roddick."

Former U.S. Open champion Roddick has not yet officially withdrawn, though tournament organizers believe the Miami champion may pull out to rest the sore right elbow he strained in reaching the Bangkok final where he fell to top-ranked Roger Federer in the Bangkok final on October 3rd.

The 22-year-old Roddick, who flew to Bangkok after leading the United States to a Davis Cup semifinal sweep of Belarus, sustained the elbow injury during a 7-6(1), 6-7(0), 7-6(2) semifinal victory over Marat Safin.

"I hurt my elbow against Marat Safin, but I don't think that made a difference," said Roddick after his loss to Federer in the final that was a rematch of the Wimbledon final. "Roger's been beating people all year. I came out and gave it a shot but, when I went back to the room yesterday, I started to feel something in one of the tendons in my elbow. I probably just strained it, but it made it pretty tough out there."

Though Roddick has played Agassi in two charity exhibition matches since Bangkok, he has yet to play an ATP event and there is growing speculation he may sit out some of the upcoming indoor European events — Madrid, Stockholm and Paris — in order to rest his elbow and practice on the red clay in preparation for the Davis Cup tie against Spain in Seville, December 3rd-5th. Roddick's official web site Andy Roddick.com, lists all three events on his schedule, but he's made it clear that the Davis Cup final is his top priority.

"The most important thing is the Davis Cup final. I want to be ready for that," said Roddick, who will play next month's Tennis Masters Cup in Houston. "I need to be 100 per cent physically — all of my decisions will be based upon that goal."

The United States Davis Cup squad will not include Agassi, who reiterated his decision to step aside from Davis Cup competition. One of the most successful Davis Cup singles players in recent American history, Agassi owns a 30-5 Davis Cup record, but has repeatedly said his Davis Cup career is over.

"My reasons have nothing to do with winning or losing," Agassi said. "I'm growing tired, have a family, and it's time for the young guys who have gotten the team to the final to have the opportunity to win it."

His early arrival in Madrid means Agassi is committed to competing for the title he won two years ago.

The 2002 Madrid champion missed the tournament last year as he skipped the European indoor fall season. Two years ago, Agassi arrived at the inaugural Madrid tournament for his first event since his loss to Pete Sampras in the U.S. Open final the prior month. He defeated Juan Carlos Ferrero in the quarterfinals and Sebastien Grosjean in the semis before receiving a walkover win in the final as Jiri Novak withdrew before the final with a strained hamstring.

While Agassi will play and Roddick's status is uncertain, former No. 1 Carlos Moya will not play Madrid and may well sit out the rest of the European fall season to rest his stained shoulder before playing the Tennis Masters Cup in Houston and the Davis Cup in Seville.

The ATP has confirmed that Roland Garros runner-up Guillermo Coria, three-time Roland Garros champion Gustavo Kuerten and Frenchmen Fabrice Santoro and Sebastien Grosjean will be out of the tournament. Coria is recovering from arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder and hopes to play the Tennis Masters Cup, though that prospect appears unlikely. Kuerten is recovering from his second arthroscopic hip surgery that could sideline him for as many as six months, and Grosjean and Santoro both pulled out with injury.

As a result of the withdrawals, Robin Soderling, fresh off his first career title last Sunday, Austria's Jurgen Melzer and Russian Mikhail Youzhny have received main draw spots.

snaillyyy
10-13-2004, 07:33 PM
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: Oh this better be wrong

Deboogle!.
10-13-2004, 08:54 PM
Ditto to what Carole said :fiery: :fiery:

If he is even fucking filming commercials and internet chats and stuff instead of playing an important tournament.....ohmygosh.

Deboogle!.
10-13-2004, 08:57 PM
http://www.andyroddick.com/views/schedule/schedule.asp

:fiery::fiery::fiery::fiery::fiery::fiery::fiery:: fiery::fiery::fiery::fiery:

snaillyyy
10-13-2004, 09:14 PM
:mad: :fiery: oh and this makes me feel much better :tape: :cuckoo:

AGASSI SET FOR THURSDAY ARRIVAL IN SPAIN.

Madrid, October 13th, 2004 (DPA) – Andre Agassi was due to arrive in Spain Thursday, confirming his participation in the Madrid Masters, organisers said Wednesday.

The 34-year-old American won the inaugural title in a 2002 walkover against injured Czech Jiri Novak, but didn't defend a year later as he skipped all of the European autumn indoor events. Agassi was due to have his first hit at the Rockodromo arena later in the day, hours after arriving. He has not played since the U.S. Open well over a month ago.

The American's presence will help attendance at the penultimate Masters Series of the season, with doubts now surfacing about the availability of world number 2 Andy Roddick.

The losing finalist this month to Roger Federer at the Thailand Open complained of an arm injury as he took a hammering.

With the Americans facing Spain in the Davis Cup, some reports indicate that the former world number 1 may not travel to Europe for the indoor campaign, preferring to focus on the final in Seville December 3-5.

But while his problem may keep him off the ATP, it hasn't apparently been bad enough to prevent exhibition matches.

Roddick has played two this week, in California (losing to Agassi) and in North Dakota.

Roddick admitted in Bangkok that his scheduling might change during the run-up to the Davis Cup. "The most important thing is the Davis Cup final. I want to be ready for that. I need to be 100 per cent physically - all of my decisions will be based upon that goal."

Meanwhile former French Open champion Agassi has brushed off calls that he return for the final, to be played on Spain's favourite surface, clay.

But after a four-year Davis absence, Agassi says he's not about to change things. "My reasons have nothing to do with winning or losing. I'm growing tired, have a family, and it's time for the young guys who have gotten the team to the final to have the opportunity to win it."

With Roddick perhaps uncertain for Madrid, which begins Monday, Switzerland's Federer should be rested and refreshed after lifting his tenth title of the season in Bangkok.

star
10-13-2004, 09:14 PM
That is such utter crap!

If he's got a real injury that needs to be rested, why is he playing in all these exbos?

Also, Andy's win over Marat isn't looking all that good to me anymore. I'm wondering about Marat's true form.

AND I saw the picture of Andy's belly from one of those exbos! It was poochy and flabby looking..... I mean. .... Not for a regular person but for a tennis player.

I'm getting a little :fiery: here.

star
10-13-2004, 09:17 PM
http://www.andyroddick.com/views/schedule/schedule.asp

:fiery::fiery::fiery::fiery::fiery::fiery::fiery:: fiery::fiery::fiery::fiery:

I wonder where a work out program fits into that schedule.

The players whinge about not having a longer off season, but they just fill up the off season with exbos anyway.

Deboogle!.
10-13-2004, 09:20 PM
star I totally agree with you. It's ridiculous.

(btw, as for the win against Marat... Marat played really well, it was a great match and it WAS a good win for Andy. IMO)

This is crap though, great word choice. I don't read too much into these articles using what Andy said in Thailand, but the fact that it's now off his official site's schedule is pretty conclusory.

:o:mad::fiery::o:mad::fiery::o:mad::fiery:

And now it seems Hewitt has maybe pulled out, so Andy playing would really have helped him, but GAHHHHHHH :rolleyes:

PinkFeatherBoa
10-13-2004, 10:33 PM
WTF is up with this Madrid tournie? :fiery: So many players are not playing this, it's unbelievable. :rolleyes: The asses {especially you Andy!} better all turn up to Paris {so glad I decided to go there instead of Madrid now I'm hearing all these drop out rumours and things :)}.

As for Andy, playing all these charity matches and exos is all well and good, but to be then stating injury and pulling out of important tournaments like this is just awful. It's one thing thing him pulling out of clay tournies where he sucks but indoor tournies suit his game, and if he's managing to play exos, then why can't he play actual tournies. Ugh, I feel like going major voodoo on his pizza fat ass at the moment. :(

Ah, that vent has made me feel a little better, hopefully now I can think straight enough to read up on all the news and stuffs. :) At this rate {if Rogi pulls out} then Timmy's gonna end up being top seed. :lol:

Deboogle!.
10-13-2004, 10:36 PM
totally agree, Boa.... it's bullshit, 100% :bs: Andy looks like a big asshole right now. Yea it's great raising money for charity and stuff but then you can't just say you're injured. Then next thing we know he's gonna show up somewhere practicing on clay. And that's fine but he realizes he's giving up his #2 ranking and he's still gonna lose in Spain right? He's making it so that he'll face Roger in Semis instead of finals, that's big, does he realize that? :banghead: :banghead:

J. Corwin
10-13-2004, 10:37 PM
Andy, let's start playing some REQUIRED tournies and not exhos if your elbow is bothering you a lil. :retard:

star
10-13-2004, 11:13 PM
I'm not convinced his schedule shows he's not playing Madrid because I only saw exbos and tv appearances on it. The Masters Cup wasn't even listed.

Deboogle!.
10-13-2004, 11:19 PM
Sure it does, star,

it shows Stockholm, Paris, Houston, and DC

Jennay
10-13-2004, 11:20 PM
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

star
10-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Sure it does, star,

it shows Stockholm, Paris, Houston, and DC

Not the one I saw. But I trust you that there is one like that.

Andy......... :fiery:
You really aren't in a position to be skiping TMS tournaments and playing exbos instead.

Actually, I'm pretty sure he is going to get a fine for this one.

Deboogle!.
10-13-2004, 11:28 PM
Oh he'll get a fine, I think anytime a player pulls from a TMS tourney without a documented injury gets a fine... the fine depends on how many times he's done it (and Andy's already done it TWICE this year) and also ranking (so Andy's will be higher than someone lower)

Anyway, the schedule I'm looking at is just the one at andyroddick.com lol

Golfnduck
10-13-2004, 11:31 PM
If Andy pulls out of this tourney, I'm gonna fly wherever he is and kick his ass :mad: :smash: If he knows what is good for him, he'll go, or else Carole and I will hunt him down.

superpinkone37
10-14-2004, 12:47 AM
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: WTF Andy!!!! OMG he is such a damn tard! what's wrong with him?! :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:
alright, im okay now, well not really. why the hell is he pulling out now? if hewitt pulled out, then this would be the perfect chance to solidify (is that even a word, or am i making stuff up now, lol) his numer 2 ranking. if he loses that, hes gonna have to play federer more, and earlier in tournies, and right now, i dont have any hope for andy beating god. he can be all that injured if he was playing these exhibitions. its good that he was keeping his commitments to them, but he has a commitment to madrid too. what a dumbass. and practicing another week on clay (which i doubt he would start doing next week anyways) is not gonna magically make him good. he's still gonna lose DC so why not secure the number 2 ranking, which is one thing he can do...maybe :rolleyes: sorry for my rant, but i just couldnt beleive what i was seeing reading this thread when i came home....are we positive that he pulled out? he better not have, but it looks that way. *sigh*

Deboogle!.
10-14-2004, 12:49 AM
solidify is most definitely a word :)

and no, it's not definitely official but considering his website took it off his schedule, I'd say it's as good as.

superpinkone37
10-14-2004, 12:50 AM
ok, i was just making sure i was using the right word....:) stupid andy :(

Deboogle!.
10-14-2004, 01:18 AM
Well for anyone that missed it on GM, according to Fee it's official. Not that it wasn't before but WTF. I just don't understand. I hope he realizes how STUPID he looks.

snaillyyy
10-14-2004, 01:53 AM
If Andy pulls out of this tourney, I'm gonna fly wherever he is and kick his ass :mad: :smash: If he knows what is good for him, he'll go, or else Carole and I will hunt him down.

Think there is going to be a long line behind us Jen, waiting to take their turn. :mad:

superpinkone37
10-14-2004, 01:59 AM
good title change amanda ;)

Deboogle!.
10-14-2004, 01:59 AM
Amanda I love it!

snaillyyy
10-14-2004, 02:02 AM
:rocker2: great change Amanda

andyroxmysox12191
10-14-2004, 02:03 AM
*flips andy off and walks away*

superpinkone37
10-14-2004, 02:07 AM
awwwww, me too amanda

andyroxmysox12191
10-14-2004, 02:44 AM
:sobbing: your av amanda :sobbing: that made my day a little better

Havok
10-14-2004, 02:56 AM
Can everybody please stop with the insanity here? Stupid move Andy, don't pull out of TMS events.:retard: blah whatever, his elbow better be healed and ready to go in Stockholm.

Fee
10-14-2004, 03:01 AM
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls from Stockholm as well, regardless of the guarantee he was offered to play there. I'm a little bit surprised that he pulled out of Madrid, which is a hardcourt, and may still play Paris, which is carpet and slower. Hopefully he won't play anymore exos and then pull out of things because that will just make him look like a big idiot.

Havok
10-14-2004, 03:05 AM
Paris is faster than Madrid. Carpet is the second fastest surface, fastest being grass. He migh pull out of Stockholm, though he might want to use it as a warm up, who knows. As long as he's healthy I really don't care now.

Deboogle!.
10-14-2004, 03:08 AM
Carpet is slower than hard? I thought the Paris carpet was almost as fast as grass :confused: Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls from Stockholm either, but if he plans on playing Paris (he's defending SF there, though it seems he could care less about points anyway) he should play Stockholm to get a couple of matches in - he'd have to win the tournament to pick up any points anyway pretty much, so aside from money and building match play for confidence going into Paris and Houston, there's not much point playing Stockholm. But with the semi-depleted field in Madrid he really had a good shot to pick up some good points there. Plus, he just looks like a complete asscrack for doing these exhibitions and appearing to be fine, then pulling out of an important tour tournament.

I think the next exhos he's scheduled for are not til after DC, when he's got his own charity event, plus he's going to both Mardy's and Brian's events. among others. This is according to the schedule on his site anyway. We'll see, I guess, how truly dedicated he is to DC = he seems to be willing to give his #2 ranking for it, and that could really cause him a problem early next year if he runs into Roger earlier than the finals of tournaments.

Glad to see you down here btw :hug:

Deboogle!.
10-14-2004, 03:09 AM
Naldo beat me while I was writing my diatribe LOL

Golfnduck
10-14-2004, 03:31 AM
Is it really official? Has andyroddick.com posted anything. Damn him if he drops out!!!!

Deboogle!.
10-14-2004, 03:40 AM
It's official. AR.com hasn't posted it but it's official. I trust Fee's information and AR.com updates his schedule so infrequently that I don't think they'd just take Madrid off by accident.

Deboogle!.
10-14-2004, 03:49 AM
LMGDFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

superpinkone37
10-14-2004, 03:52 AM
fee's info may be officially unofficial, but i unofficially trust her more than official info...

lol amanda :lol:

Fee
10-14-2004, 04:05 AM
Well, you guys have officially made me dizzy. Please remember my age when you write things like that (29, again).

Anyway, my bad if I got the surfaces mixed up but somewhere in the dark cobwebby recesses of my mind, I thought carpet was slower, or the carpet Croatia used in the DC tie last year was slower or something. I admit I pay the least amount of attention to carpet since Jan-Mike won't play on it and I've been viewing the tennis world through Gambill colored glasses lately.

I will let you all know as soon as I see the official ATP entry lists/withdrawals for Stockholm and Paris, but he will probably wait until the Wednesday beforehand if he pulls. Maybe he's counted points and figured he can just barely stay ahead of Lleyton by the end of the year. Let's hope at least a little bit of thought was put into this.

Deboogle!.
10-14-2004, 04:12 AM
Maybe he's counted points and figured he can just barely stay ahead of Lleyton by the end of the year. Let's hope at least a little bit of thought was put into this.

Well if he did that, then he obviously failed high school math and so did everyone else he knows who advised him because he's just over 40 points ahead in the race right now. Lleyton has a good tournament at Paris or TMC and that's gone. But it seems he doesn't care about points/rankings (even though I think he should lol). I'm sure some thought went into the decision, it just might not be the thoughts some of us wanted ;)

Let's see what AR.com updates with next. if they update.

Chloe le Bopper
10-14-2004, 08:34 AM
I think that Roddick pulling out of Madrid makes perfect sense. He wants to do well in Houston and David Cup, so why risk burning himself out by throwing in an extra week in Europe there? Warm up for Paris, Paris, Houston, DC. Yup, makes sense to me. Who cares about year end number 2 if it means being able to perform well in Houston and DC versus being fried like say, Ferrero was last year.

Sjengster
10-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Good points there. It is a pity that another TMS event, after Monte Carlo, is starting to have top players drop out like flies. Once the exodus is complete I really see no other challengers for the title than Federer and Agassi.

BTW, if this kind of alliteration for thread titles is going to become a regular thing, may I suggest some future slogans? "Pochard in Paris", "Widgeon at Wimbledon", "Teal in Toronto" (that'll have to wait until 2006) all seem like good titles to me.

Deboogle!.
10-14-2004, 02:30 PM
So in the tourney forum someone says they talked to Andy's agent in Thailand and he said THEN he was not playing Madrid :o:o:o And here I was, willing to believe the possbility that he used the exhibitions to gague where his elbow was at. If he has no intentions to play Stockholm or Paris either, I really wish he'd just pull out now - at least then other people would be let into the draws and stuff, plus we wouldn't have to hang around and wait ;)

tangerine_dream
10-14-2004, 02:40 PM
Fee! :wavey: Great to have you post here. :D

Can everybody please stop with the insanity here? Stupid move Andy, don't pull out of TMS events.:retard: blah whatever, his elbow better be healed and ready to go in Stockholm.

I agree Naldo. I think everyone's overreacting a bit. :retard: So Andy's not going to Madrid, big deal. Neither are a lot of players and they don't have any better reason to drop out than Andy does. So he loses 15 points, whoopteedoo. Lleyton won't be gaining any points on him, either.

If Andy's priorities are DC and Houston then that's fine by me. It's his life, it's his career. He should do what he feels is best for him. I'm not going to fault him for doing exbos. Everybody does those and it's great for American tennis that he's out there promoting the sport. It seems like whatever he does, he can't win.

Amanda, great thread title and new av :banana: *reps Amanda*

Deboogle!.
10-14-2004, 02:40 PM
I don't even know where to start :o :rolleyes: :banghead:

Andy withdraws from TMS Madrid
by: Kate Flory

10/14/2004 --

After much speculation in recent days, it has been confirmed that Andy has withdrawn from the upcoming Masters Series Event in Madrid, Spain.

The reason for Andy"s withdrawal is some soreness in his right knee, which he gets when he plays a lot of tennis. Andy has had a very hectic schedule of late with the US hardcourt season, the Davis Cup semi finals and the tournament in Bangkok where he reached the final. THIS IS A NEW ONE!!!!!!!!!! But playing the exhibitions didn't hurt it!

Andy"s main priority for the rest of this year is the Davis Cup Final in Spain in December. He wants to make sure that he is in his best possible shape ahead of that tie and so has sacrificed his appearance in Madrid. At present he is still scheduled to play in both Stockholm and Paris. (I'll believe it when I see him in Stockholm)

The next stop for Andy after a meeting with Reebok today will be back to his home in Austin for a bit of rest, relaxation and recuperation! (:banghead: What about getting FIT? All he does in Austin is jump off cliffs and go jet-skiing oh and don't forget his two best friends - Pizza and Beer!)

MisterQ
10-14-2004, 03:03 PM
In a certain sense, isn't it more responsible to play an exhibition where 8000 people have paid good money to see YOU and one other star player (and from which the money is going to a charity), than it is to cancel on all those people and play for your own ranking/monetary gain in a "real" tournament?

Deboogle!.
10-14-2004, 03:06 PM
in a certain sense....

my problem is more the mixed stories. It's just annoying to read one place that he never really planned to play there then to see on his site that it's some new knee soreness thing. If he just wanted to play those exhos and skip the euro indoor season to prepare for Houston and DC, ok then announce it like Lleyton did last year and just DO IT. All this pansying around is just annoying me :p

Havok
10-14-2004, 03:14 PM
His injuries are probably minor, but he's overplaying them because he wants to be ready for when he plays, imo. Trust me if his injuries were really bad, he wouldn't have actually played a match at the charity events, he would have opted to be chair ump or something. And another thing, why is everyone constantly attacking Andy's fitness? When was the last time Andy retired from a match? Exactly, he's fine. Do you want him to be really fit like some previous top ranked players and be injured 24/7, or say be fit like some lower ranked players and suck of ass? He's fine as is, sure better fitness will help, but leave the dude along. sheesh:scared:

Deboogle!.
10-14-2004, 03:18 PM
I thought he was on a good track, Naldo but he's clearly put on some weight...that's not a good sign

Havok
10-14-2004, 03:20 PM
Big deal, he's still fit. Fit doesn't = a perfectly sculpted body. Some people who are ripped aren't even fit! It's not like he gained 20 pounds or something.

tangerine_dream
10-14-2004, 03:22 PM
His injuries are probably minor, but he's overplaying them because he wants to be ready for when he plays, imo. Trust me if his injuries were really bad, he wouldn't have actually played a match at the charity events, he would have opted to be chair ump or something. And another thing, why is everyone constantly attacking Andy's fitness? When was the last time Andy retired from a match? Exactly, he's fine. Do you want him to be really fit like some previous top ranked players and be injured 24/7, or say be fit like some lower ranked players and suck of ass? He's fine as is, sure better fitness will help, but leave the dude along. sheesh:scared:

Agree 100%. A :banana: for you :)

snaillyyy
10-14-2004, 03:25 PM
His fitness is not the biggest issue for me at the moment(well except for any injuries). I guess i just want things simple, if he wanted to focus on the charity events and DC, fine then just says so and go on with it. His charity work has always been one of the things I liked about him and I dont believe he is going to sacrifice it unless it is something major, which I dont have a problem with but please we have had the elbow issue, now it is the knee and he is tired. Please just tell us you want to focus on DC and Houston and not bother with European indoor season and move on. :rolleyes:

Havok
10-14-2004, 03:42 PM
Now that I agree with, but I would want him to play TMS Paris, skipping 2 TMS events is dumb, especially since he was one of the favorites in both events. He's already skipped 3 TMS events this year (MC, Hamburg, Madrid) I don't want him to skip Paris as well. Oh and another thing, USA won't win DC unless some weird shit happens, so I don't get his whole thing about being ready for DC. Yeah be healthy and prepared for it, but it's not like Hewitt last year who needed time to rebuild his game and Australia were the favorites since it was being played on grass. Blah that he skipped Madid, but please play Paris.:)

Nishy
10-14-2004, 05:36 PM
I agree with tangy and Naldo.
Hope he can have good schedule next year.

Fee
10-14-2004, 06:14 PM
Thanks Amanda, you're a sweetie and I can't rep you right now :sad: I owe you one. And thanks to Tangy and Deb too, I've posted in the forum before, but I think it was the girlfriend thread (real important stuff there).

I agree with a couple of the points that have been made here: Andy does seem to be a little less fit than he was during the summer, which is a little bit worrisome because of the way he throws his whole body into his game. However, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until we actually see that affecting him on court. The tennis season is long and a lot of the guys are looking burned out these last few weeks. Sign me up as one of the tennis fans who wants the season shortened and the Masters Cup done by November 1st.

I also agree that Andy should be like Lleyton and just announce that he wants to rest up and focus on Houston and DC. To say that he is focusing on DC now is a bit silly because he's not going to do any extensive practicing on clay until the Cup is over. Just announce that he is resting up for Houston and tell us his plans now. It's only fair to people in Stockholm and Paris (and it would be the mature, responsible thing to do).

Fumus
10-14-2004, 06:31 PM
lol...someone like Andre for instance doesn't even bother to make up fictious injuries, he just says "I'm Andre" and the directors are like "good point, you could use the rest"...lol

I am sure Andy is fine, and this tourny means nothing, the year end number 1 is locked up. I don't care about the race for number 2, we all know even if Hewitt gets it that he hasn't played near as good a year as Roddick and he's not the force that Roddick is in the mens game. All that said, I am alittle sad I won't get to see Andy on TTC(which is really just Skysportsnet wich ROCKS!! Their coverage is 1,000,000,000x better than ESPN and their commentary is great!!)

In closing I would like to summerize, Andy is number 2 this year so it's all about DC and Master's Cup, who cares about Madrid?

star
10-14-2004, 07:10 PM
It's important for him to stay number 2, I think.

But if he wants to cede that spot to Lleyton, YAY for Lleyton. :)

Deboogle!.
10-14-2004, 07:27 PM
well he's lucky that Lleyton isn't playing Paris. It's hugely important for Andy to be #2, IMO.

Whatever, I'm growing weary of Andy :p

Havok
10-14-2004, 08:28 PM
He loses to Federer in the semis instead of the finals big deal.:haha: actually its better to lose to the eventual champ (GOD) in the semis from a psychological point because you weren't so close to winning it. if you look at it, yeah the race for #2 is important, but who gives a shit because both Andy (to a lesser extent) and Lleyton can't do anything vs Roger lately. Both have to improve their games to have a shot at beating him, especially Lleyton (Roger has field days with Hewitt's powder puff balls:o)

tangerine_dream
10-14-2004, 09:00 PM
I feel that Andy has a real chance to beat Roger, and on a consistent basis, as he continues to improve, change up his game a bit, and more importantly, grow up (his immaturity is killing him in some of these matches, eg, the Pim-Pim match at USO). I don't feel that way about Lleyton. No matter how much Lleyton improves (IS he improving? he seems the same to me now as he did in 2001), I don't think he'll get past Roger anymore. :sad:

Havok
10-14-2004, 09:18 PM
Depends. Lleyton has aded agression to his game, but with that comes many more errors which we weren't used to seeing from Hewitt. It's kind of tough to say if he was better then compared to now. Then he was more consistent, but more of a pusher. Now he's more agressive, but hits more errors along with winners. I agree that Andy can beat Roger more than once a year, but he's gotta imrpvoe. Slowly but surely he is doing that and needs to stick to it.

Golfnduck
10-14-2004, 09:55 PM
I think Andy's game is improving. It is just very frustrating for us fans when he pulls out of big tournaments. I think that if he keeps giving himself chances in matches against Roger, he will eventually win them. I think if there weren't those rain delays at Wimbledon (as we have already discussed) Andy would have won it. He just needs to keep working on his volleying and his backhand. The more weapons he has, the better.

snaillyyy
10-14-2004, 10:10 PM
Have to agree that eventually Andy will beat Roger, but also have this feeling we arent going to get to see that chance before Houston :( (hope I'm wrong)

Jen I love the new avatar :hearts: :hearts:, will rep when I can ;)

Golfnduck
10-14-2004, 11:00 PM
Have to agree that eventually Andy will beat Roger, but also have this feeling we arent going to get to see that chance before Houston :( (hope I'm wrong)

Jen I love the new avatar :hearts: :hearts:, will rep when I can ;)
Thanks. I owe my new avatar to Tangy, she resize it for me. Thanks Tangy :kiss:

heya
10-14-2004, 11:18 PM
Andy went on ESPNews to say "I want my #1 ranking." Too bad he's delusional.
The Liar Look on his face was pitiful.
The moron never stops talking.
I bet he had an orgy as he was baited into answering asinine, childish questions for :inlove: ESPN radio. Those "true fans" were incredibly talented and thoughtful.
If Brad Gilbert, Mal Washington, John and Pat McEnroe created their ideal child,
the result is him.

heya
10-14-2004, 11:37 PM
LMAO Fitness is no problem? Ok, let's see him train and play on clay for 3 hours.
He felt embarrassed and tired because he could only "hit the crap out of the ball," so he gave up. Haven't you seen that all year?

Excuses excuses

He can barely run to reach the ball.
He recently ordered some junk food.
He never watches his old matches in order to change his game.
He said "Don't question me. I train hard," but
he also said "I don't enjoy training all day like the Russians.
I believe in being happy. Success follows that."

He just wants to spend time with his friends.

Deboogle!.
10-14-2004, 11:41 PM
awwwww heya I've missed you!!!!! :hug:

heya
10-15-2004, 12:03 AM
:hug:
Ar.com is unreal. He needs rest? He did nothing, just like last June.
Why's Gilbert so concerned about his own game? Can he practice with a top 2 player and can he force Andy to do anything?
I might see the exhibition losses on Foxsports.

Fumus
10-15-2004, 01:28 AM
ohhh Heya, I don't wanna meet your daddy, I just want you in my caddy! ;)

heya
10-15-2004, 01:59 AM
grrrrrr :bolt: Tiger Swinger, Gilbert Face Slammed With Dirt

superpinkone37
10-15-2004, 02:38 AM
lol heya, you never fail to make me smile :p
haha fumus, whenever i see her name i think of that song:)

superpinkone37
10-15-2004, 02:40 AM
and im tired of andy's bs right now. i guess as long as he is healthy then i am happy...at least for now. i dont like it when he pulls out of tournies like this but whats worse is if he already knew he wasnt gonna play madrid, then oull out then, not a few days before.

Deboogle!.
10-15-2004, 03:53 PM
Interesting take from Tennis Week
=========

Roddick, Hewitt, Moya Withdraw From Madrid

By Tennis Week
10/15/2004

A trio of former top-ranked players — Andy Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt and Carlos Moya — have withdrawn from next week's Tennis Masters Series-Madrid event. The second-ranked Roddick has complained of a sore right elbow and sore right knee, Moya may miss the rest of the indoor European fall season to rest his strained serving shoulder and Hewitt pulled out for undisclosed personal reasons, according to tournament organizers.

In the absence of four of the world's top six ranked players — fourth-ranked Guillermo Coria remains sidelined while recovering from arthroscopic shoulder surgery — fifth-ranked Tim Henman will be seeded second behind top-ranked Roger Federer and 2002 Madrid champion Andre Agassi, who is playing his first tournament since a five-set quarterfinal setback to Federer at last month's U.S. Open, moves up to to the third seed.

"Missing three of the top 10 won't penalize this event," said tournament director Manolo Santana.

Though the official Tennis Masters Series-Madrid web site proclaims "Roddick, Hewitt Make Their Excuses", it's hardly surprising Roddick has pulled out and a bit of a double standard for tournament organizers to suggest subtle criticism of Roddick, who is essentially facing the same challenge as Moya: trying to ensure his best possible preparation for the Davis Cup final while hampered by a nagging injury.

Though top players are automatically entered in Masters Series events, players have complained for years that the tennis season is too long and since the game's governing bodies have essentially refused to substantially shorten the schedule (though there have been minor modifications) some prominent players have taken it upon themselves to limit the number of tournaments they play to provide more time for rest and recovery. Roddick has already played 84 matches this year (91 when you include doubles), which is just seven short of the 91 matches he played in 2003. When you consider the fact the fate of the U.S. Davis Cup team in December's final against host Spain rides largely on Roddick's right arm and that the final will be staged on red clay — Roddick's least favorite surface where he's suffered all three of his Davis Cup defeats — it's really a no-brainer to skip Madrid and Stockholm. Otherwise, Roddick would be playing four of the next five weeks, offering little training time for the Davis Cup final, which he has repeatedly stated is his top priority.

"The most important thing is the Davis Cup final. I want to be ready for that," said Roddick, who will play next month's Tennis Masters Cup in Houston. "I need to be 100 per cent physically — all of my decisions will be based upon that goal."

The 22-year-old Roddick needs to look no further than his opponent in the 2003 U.S. Open final — Juan Carlos Ferrero — to see the how a demanding schedule can drain a player. Ferrero played 88 matches last year, starting the first week of January when he reached the Sydney final and ending in December when he represented Spain in the Davis Cup final. With less than a month to recover before the 2004 season, Ferrero could be understandably fried entering this year. He started the season strong, reaching the Australian Open semis and the Rotterdam final and registering a 9-3 record in the process, but has been plagued by injury and illness since then, compiling a 14-12 record over the past eight months.

Until the game's governing bodies work together to coordinate a shorter schedule, and address the antiquated Davis Cup format that discourages some player participation by spreading out the event over the course of the year, players have no choice but to selectively schedule tournament participation — or run the risk of running themselves into the ground trying to meet the demands of a nearly non-stop tournament treadmill.

tangerine_dream
10-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Put the whips and chains away, guys. Word has it that Roger is also pulling out of Madrid. I don't know what his excuse will be but seriously, can we cut Andy some slack now? Nobody's going to this thing. :)

Deboogle!.
10-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Roger's officially out, yeah. but I don't care about them ;)

At this point, Andy should not play STockholm but I think he should still play Paris, just to get some points and also so he's not totally match-cold going into Houston where you have to be on top of your game right from the bat. Stockholm won't do anything but drain his energy.

Plus, the reason that I'm :o at Andy now is that he's bumming around in Austin just eating more pizza and gaining more weight. if he pulled out of these tournies to really bust his ass with Brad somewhere, I'd be much happier with him.

superpinkone37
10-15-2004, 05:26 PM
Ballboys get the drop as Madrid opts for female models

Fri 15 October, 2004 13:30

MADRID, Oct 15 (Reuters) - The centre court at next week's Madrid Masters tournament will look more like a catwalk than a sports arena after organisers decided to drop the traditional ballboys and ballgirls in favour of glamorous female models.

The organisers are reported to be paying the 25 women an average of 900 euros ($1,115) to do the job previously done by enthusiastic young volunteers from local tennis clubs.

Coach Julio Nieto admitted that he had had a tough job in trying train up the models for the tournament.

"We have had to show them what the sport is all about," he told sports daily As. "We had to start by explaining what a game, a set and ace were and then tell them when and how to pass the players the balls.

"It's not going to be perfect, but I'll be happy if things turn out well and there are no protests from the players. Although personally I think that with such beautiful girls the players are going to be distracted."

World number one Roger Federer leads the field at the tournament which gets underway on Monday October 18.

=========
andy is gonna be dissapointed that he pulled out now ;)
lol, well i just hope andy is not sitting at home scarfing pizza. other than that, im just hope he is healthy.

andyroxmysox12191
10-15-2004, 08:22 PM
:haha: wow never though that'd happen

heya
10-15-2004, 08:27 PM
web site proclaims "Roddick, Hewitt Make Their Excuses"
What's wrong with the truth? Masters Series = Great DC = Joke
We LOVE to watch Andy's phony surprised expression when he gives up and loses DC.

it's really a no-brainer to skip Madrid and Stockholm. Otherwise, Roddick would be playing four of the next five weeks, offering little training time for the Davis Cup final

"The most important thing is the Davis Cup final. I want to be ready for that," said Roddick, who will play next month's Tennis Masters Cup in Houston. "I need to be 100 per cent physically
Andy will have to turn back time: move to Europe, train on clay for a decade & lose weight.
The Spaniards have to be in a hotel fire, sleep for only 2 hours & play with injuries.

Until the game's governing bodies work together to coordinate a shorter schedule, and address the antiquated Davis Cup format that discourages some player participation by spreading out the event over the course of the year
zzzzz Andy can't disrespect people by avoiding wtt & other amazing exhibs.
We know most tennis fans & players look up to him, don't we????
...25 :inlove: people, including Bjorn Borg.

superpinkone37
10-15-2004, 08:38 PM
:haha: wow never though that'd happen

haha, and theres a big discussion on it in GM now, i didnt notice it before lol

star
10-15-2004, 09:01 PM
Ballboys get the drop as Madrid opts for female models

:haha: Ohmygod!! Is this for real???

And the GMers think Jim McIngvale is sleazy and and crass??????

:haha: