Interesting tidbits from Brad's book [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Interesting tidbits from Brad's book

tangerine_dream
10-06-2004, 02:00 AM
I am reading Brad's current Nobel-prize winning book, "I've Got Your Back", and came across this intriguing passage. Anybody care to take a guess as to which player he's talking about? ;)

"Tennis players are always looking for a winning edge, so hiring a coach makes sense. But there's always some fly in the ointment. Take the case of a top player I talked to a few years ago, post Andre and pre-Andy. His agent initially called me and I talked with the agent a couple of times. Then the agent said, "You really need to speak to _____."

So I spoke to him. The conversation lasted around one minute. It turned out the whole thing had been the agent's idea. The player just said, "I'm happy with the way things are."

"Ok," I said (I'm a coach, not a salesman)

"Man, you'd be too hard for me," the player said.

"You don't even know me," I said.

"I'm happy," he said.

"You're really happy?" I said. This guy has a ton of talent, but was underachieving like crazy.

"Yeah, I'm happy," the player said. "I don't want to be number 1."

Whoa, I thought. The truth at last. At that point there was really nothing else to say. (Now the guy is just travelling with his buddy, wasting his talent. So he'll get his wish: he'll never be No. 1)."

----

So what do you all make of this? Who do you think it is? I'm thinking it's Marat.

Deboogle!.
10-06-2004, 02:06 AM
I would tend to think so too

but omg is Brad's whole book written like this at this level??? :sobbing:

PennyThePenguin
10-06-2004, 02:15 AM
like i've said on msn...DIE BRAD DIE!!! marat wouldn't work with you even if u PAID him!

Havok
10-06-2004, 02:22 AM
IT sounds exactly like Safin.:haha:

Deboogle!.
10-06-2004, 02:22 AM
Jiat, tell us how you really feel! ;)

star
10-06-2004, 02:29 AM
Brad is such a self promoter and braggart it's really sort of sickening.

That's the thing I don't like about him being Andy's coach. He is too interested in the limelight for himself.

Deboogle!.
10-06-2004, 02:34 AM
well *Fingers crossed* so far it doesn't seem like Andy has adopted Brad's more distasteful attributes.

Chloe le Bopper
10-06-2004, 02:59 AM
If it was Safin that he was talking about, perhaps he shouldn't say things like this:

Now the guy is just travelling with his buddy, wasting his talent. So he'll get his wish: he'll never be No. 1

Seeing as he already WAS number 1.

(Yes, I'm just nitpicking because Brad is a blowhard, but it's a nit that must be picked)

Carito_90
10-06-2004, 03:12 AM
If he said "again" it'd be too obvious.

You don't even need the word Hippo to realise thats Marat ;)

superpinkone37
10-06-2004, 03:15 AM
yeah....it sounds just like marat. that would be my guess.

Chloe le Bopper
10-06-2004, 05:05 AM
If he said "again" it'd be too obvious.

You don't even need the word Hippo to realise thats Marat ;)
True enough ;)

1NightStandsRule
10-06-2004, 05:24 AM
It's not Xavier Malisse, but yes we can all agree that he is talking about Marat.

Nishy
10-06-2004, 05:25 AM
I read this book. It sounds Safin and I also heard Brad have contacted Safin before I read.

PennyThePenguin
10-06-2004, 11:05 AM
Jiat, tell us how you really feel! ;)

ooh...i could say more...but u guys already know the main gist of it so...i'll spare my fingers the typing... ;)

but honestly tangy... as someone's asked previously...is the entire book like that? Pulitzer prize winner i'm sure! :rolleyes:

Dirk
10-06-2004, 12:27 PM
Might not be nicey nice but Marat doesn't need that right now. I hope Peter will give help him make the most of his gifts. Brad might be an asshole but he is right about what it takes to be one of the top guys. He would never be able to work with a one hander but he does make some good points.

Dirk
10-06-2004, 12:39 PM
Wait if it was Marat then why didn't Brad edit his book?? He had more than enough times to make the change since Peter went to work with Marat in April. Maybe its not Marat then.

Vass
10-06-2004, 12:45 PM
Wait if it was Marat then why didn't Brad edit his book?? He had more than enough times to make the change since Peter went to work with Marat in April. Maybe its not Marat then.
Potential No1, wasting talent, traveling with his buddy, not wanting to work with Brad, capable of saying: i don't want to be No1.... Not Marat? It's marat alright. Alll the guys who can be No1 have coaches or atleast don't have all of the above criteria.

PennyThePenguin
10-06-2004, 01:20 PM

maybe he doens't think too highly of the marat-peter combi.....sour grapes? i dunnooowww...

star
10-06-2004, 01:23 PM
:wavey: Good morning, Jiat! Nice to see you here. :)

PennyThePenguin
10-06-2004, 03:13 PM
evening star!!! i came into this thread on deb's recommmendation this morning (last night ur time) lol....

Deboogle!.
10-06-2004, 03:45 PM
I knew you'd get a kick out of it :p

tangerine_dream
10-06-2004, 05:26 PM
Yes, bunk and penny, the book is as poorly written as it sounds which make Brad's way of talking even more annoying; but it's a quick read and I'm especially interested in behind-the-scenes stories of him working with Andre and Andy. I'll type up some more good stuff when I get the chance. :)

Ok, let's say Brad wasn't talking about Marat: then who else would it be? A player who doesn't want to be No. 1, is talented but underachieving, travels with his buddy. Um, how about.....MARDY? :scared: :bigcry:

Fumus
10-06-2004, 06:15 PM
maybe he's talking about Roger that damn under acheiver he'll never be number 1 now. That's right keep traveling with your buddy!!

Of course it's Marat, does Brad need to spell it out for you? "This guy has real talent and his name ryhmes with Sarat Mafin"...lol..c'mon everyone knows Brad talked with Marat. Brad only talked with marquee players, i.e. ones with the talent. So think talent above the rest in todays tennis then X out 3 guys (Andy, Andre, and Roger)...wow..the only one left is Safin...duh....lol

Vass
10-06-2004, 06:44 PM
maybe he's talking about Roger that damn under acheiver he'll never be number 1 now. That's right keep traveling with your buddy!!

Of course it's Marat, does Brad need to spell it out for you? "This guy has real talent and his name ryhmes with Sarat Mafin"...lol..c'mon everyone knows Brad talked with Marat. Brad only talked with marquee players, i.e. ones with the talent. So think talent above the rest in todays tennis then X out 3 guys (Andy, Andre, and Roger)...wow..the only one left is Safin...duh....lol
:spit: :haha:

star
10-06-2004, 07:57 PM
:wavey: Vass

Fumus
10-06-2004, 08:09 PM
glad someone gets my humor...

Dirk
10-06-2004, 08:40 PM
Marat was stupid to turn him down. I still think Marat's a lost cause but we will see.

shortie
10-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Sounds a lot like Marat. He's always talking about how happy he is with life with/without tennis :)

MissPovaFan
10-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Marat was stupid to turn him down. I still think Marat's a lost cause but we will see.

I think Safin has had a much better year than 2003 and I feel he will only improve in 2005!

honey_b_fly_15
10-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Henman

Havok
10-07-2004, 10:18 PM
I think Safin has had a much better year than 2003 and I feel he will only improve in 2005!
I hope so.:tape: Safin's 2003 season was ruined by injuries and he played a handgul of tournaments. ANYTHING is better than Safin's 03 year.;) Also I seriously don't think Safin/Gilbert, had it have happened, would have worked out properly. Gilbert would have learned that Marat is a bit of an ass who doesn't take tennis seriously, and even his most die-hard fans can testify to that sadly:o, and stopped their coaching stint himself.

tangerine_dream
10-11-2004, 03:10 AM
Here's an interesting passage from Brad's book about Andy's anger problem and how they deal with it. I get the feeling that Brad is leaving a lot of details out, but whatever. We get the gist; he busts a lot of rackets. ;) I've marked off where the part concerning Andy starts and ends. Enjoy. :)

Deboogle!.
10-11-2004, 03:20 AM
LMFAO I love that Andy beats Brad and that he makes fun of him. I don't know why but it just makes me cackle

I'm glad Andy knows he doesn't win when he gets mad. Knowing and realizing that is a good start.

Very interesting that they don't talk right after a bad match. And as much as I don't love Brad, I like his philosophy about dealing with that situation. I can't believe some coaches would yell at their players right after something so disappointing. Ouch.

Especially interesting is the Paris match.. isnt that the match that Rosie has harped on so many times that formed her so horrible opinion of Andy that she ran into or met him after that match? Anyway, I'm surprised it took him a whole week to get over a loss like that, he's had so many worse losses and seems to get over them much more quickly than a week. I guess we don't know the real Andy :p

Thanks Tangy!! :hug: :smooch: :kiss:

tangerine_dream
10-11-2004, 03:37 AM
Rosie's a hypersensitive idiot. Andy would've merely blinked at her and she'd take it the wrong way and hate him for it. People like that are always looking for any little excuse to hate someone. :rolleyes:

I was surprised, too, to hear that the Henman loss affected Andy so much. I wonder why? Henman's always caused him problems; it's not like he can steamroll over him. But you're right, we don't know the "real" Andy, we only know the Andy that he presents to the media.

And I'm dying to know what went on after Andy lost to Pim-Pim at USO. To me, that was his most inexcusable loss of the year and I hope he was thoroughly disgusted with himself. ;)

Ah, to be a fly on the wall.

Deboogle!.
10-11-2004, 03:47 AM
I wasn't saying anything about Rosie, just that it was interesting that it was that particular match and that Andy was that particularly upset. Him going out on the town in Paris doesn't surprise me at all - that's what I would've guessed is what he would do (Especially since Mandy was with him in Paris IIRC) after a tough loss... but the whole denying it for a week goes against the conception I had of him getting over most of his losses pretty fast. Then again, it doesn't sound like this was like "most of his losses" for some reason. Maybe he knew he had a great shot to win the tourney and he's right, it would've made a difference in his ranking at that point, but really, it wouldn't have kept him #1 any longer so perhaps in retrospect he feels better ;)

I would love to know what happened right after the PimPim match too. I agree, that and the RG loss were the two most inexcusable. I think his running around the stadium hallways after shows his disgust with himself LOL

Carito_90
10-11-2004, 04:08 AM
And I'm dying to know what went on after Andy lost to Pim-Pim at USO. To me, that was his most inexcusable loss of the year and I hope he was thoroughly disgusted with himself. ;)

You didn't hear over there what happened? You know the whole running thingy and so..?

Havok
10-11-2004, 04:14 AM
That match vs Heman was so retarded. If I remember correctly, Henman was literally playing some of the best tennis he can play, and Andy was playing like a fuck when it counted. Andy knew he could have beat a top form Henman while he was playing sub-par and he let it slip away from him. I watched that match and after it was all over i was like ":retard:How did Andy lose this one? Even though he was playing worse than Tim, he should have won it."

Deboogle!.
10-11-2004, 04:20 AM
Caro, I think she meant like what Andy and Brad actually talked about and stuff and what Andy did. Yea they showed him running around but you know there was more than that lol

Naldo, if you recall, Andy kinda played like a fuck in most of his matches after the USO lol

Havok
10-11-2004, 04:27 AM
Nah, i watched his matches vs Robredo and Bjorkman before that semifinal loss to Henman. He was playing decent vs Tommy and he played really well vs Jonas. You would think playing Bjorkman before henman would have helped but not really. Although both are serve and volley players, Jonas takes cracks at the balls while henman slices them.:yawn: Sure Andy did play like a 'fuck' after the USO (seeing as though his high level of play didn't continue on), but it's not like he was terrible or anything. He knew he had a shot at beating someone on a day where he was crap and his opponent was playing well, and then he had an easy shot at winning the title, and he lost it. Those kinds of losses sting.

Carito_90
10-11-2004, 04:49 AM
Caro, I think she meant like what Andy and Brad actually talked about and stuff and what Andy did. Yea they showed him running around but you know there was more than that lol

Good thing I asked first :)

superpinkone37
10-11-2004, 05:01 AM
thanks for scanning those tangy :) i dont have time to read them now, but i will probably tomorrow. anyways, im glad andy doesnt get over those matches too easily. i mean it does no good to dwell on them after the fact, but that doesnt mean he cant learn from them. oh well, maybe i will have more of an opinion on this after i read those pages

snaillyyy
10-12-2004, 03:45 AM
Thanks Tangy :kiss: :D sorry took so long for me to get around to saying so, finally got around to reading them today. Have to say I was surprised that the Henman match was the one that got him so upset.

star
10-12-2004, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the scanning, Tangy! :)

superpinkone37
10-12-2004, 04:40 AM
i finally got around to reading them :yeah: and thanks for scanning them, tangy, if i havent already said so :) im happy, in some weird way, that andy gets pissed off when he loses. i dont like when players excuse something they have done. at least andy admits that he lost a match he shouldnt have (though it may take him a week ;) ) but he must be learning something from his losses if he takes them that hard. :)