Wimby 2011: Rafa can't get over his mental block against Djoko - loses in the Final [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wimby 2011: Rafa can't get over his mental block against Djoko - loses in the Final

Metis
06-11-2011, 03:50 PM
...because I'm feeling lucky. :D

Official site: http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/index.html

The draw: http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/draws/ms/index.html

[1]Nadal v Russell
Andujar v Sweeting
Muller v Haas
Fognini v [31]Raonic
[24]Del Potro v [Q/LL]
Rochus v [Q/LL]
Gil v Sela
[Q/LL] v [15]Simon

[10]Fish v Granollers
Kohlschreiber v Istomin
Haase v Riba
Stepanek v [21]Verdasco
[25]Chela v [Q/LL]
Young v Bogomolov Jr.
[Q/LL] v Benneteau
Volandri v [6]Berdych[/color]

-------------------

[4]Murray v Gimeno-Traver
Kamke v Kavcic
Stakhovsky v Cox
Ljubicic v [27]Cilic
[17]Gasquet v Giraldo
Kunitsyn v [Q/LL]
[Q/LL] v [Q/LL]
Starace v [14]Wawrinka

[9]Monfils v Bachinger
[Q/LL] v Kendrick
Clement v [Q/LL]
Karlovic v [23]Tipsarevic
[30]Bellucci v Schuettler
Lopez v Berrer
Pospisil v Hanescu
[Q/LL] v [8]Roddick

-------------------

[7]Ferrer v Paire
Dodig v [Q/LL]
Berlocq v [Q/LL]
Golubev v [26]Garcia-Lopez
[22]Dolgopolov v F.Gonzalez
[Q/LL] v Ramirez-Hidalgo
Dimitrov v [Q/LL]
[Q/LL] v [12]Tsonga

[16]Almagro v Nieminen
Isner v Mahut
Devvarman v Gremalmayr
Monaco v [18]Youzhny
[28]Nalbandian v Reister
Serra v Haider-Maurer
Mannarino v [Q/LL]
Kukushkin v [3]Federer

-------------------

[5]Soderling v Petzschner
Nishikori v Hewitt
Andreev v Gabashvili
[Q/LL] v [29]Davydenko
[20]F.Mayer v Evans
Malisse v Zverev
Gulbis v Tursunov
Falla v [11]Melzer

[13]Troicki v M.Gonzalez
Lu v Robredo
Mello v [Q/LL]
Ward v [19]Llodra
[32]Baghdatis v Blake
Seppi v Montanes
Anderson v Marchenko
Chardy v [2]Djokovic

Metis
06-11-2011, 03:54 PM
WIN all the way!!! :rocker2:

How far will Rafa go at Wimbledon? (2000 points :crazy:)
1st -
2nd -
3rd - Getta
4th - JolanGago
QF -
SF - !VamosRafa!
F - cobalt60
W - Bjorki, born_on_clay, FerrerAndNadal, Foxy, MariaV, Metis, Minn, rafa_maniac, Rafaaah, tennizen, TopSpinDoctor, Veronique, vn01

:(

!VamosRafa!
06-11-2011, 04:20 PM
MIT: F

can someone pls explain what mit means?

acionescu
06-11-2011, 04:34 PM
What a dull title :rolleyes:

I'm waiting for the draw, don't feel particularry well with my latest MIT succes :(

born_on_clay
06-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Let's wait for the draw :sport:

Metis
06-11-2011, 04:45 PM
MIT: F

can someone pls explain what mit means?

Read the first post of this thread: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=135598

What a dull title :rolleyes:

:awww:

I'm waiting for the draw, don't feel particularry well with my latest MIT succes :(

I will be monitoring your case closely. :(

Getta
06-11-2011, 05:13 PM
third round.

Foxy
06-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Wimbledon '11 for the 11th Grand Slam title! Vamos! Put me down for the big fat WIN!

star
06-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Wimbledon '11 for the 11th Grand Slam title! Vamos! Put me down for the big fat WIN!

11 in '11. I like that. :) :)

ImmzB
06-11-2011, 08:17 PM
VAMOS Rafa!!!!!!!!

born_on_clay
06-11-2011, 10:14 PM
third round.

again :rolleyes: ;)

cobalt60
06-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Final

tennizen
06-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Win.

rafa_maniac
06-12-2011, 05:33 PM
That time of year again :woohoo: I have no expectations, just looking forward to see him play (he gets first match of day one yes?). But I've never before called against a win here and it's worked out pretty well the last two times he's played so... what the hell, WIN.

Minn
06-13-2011, 01:23 AM
Win.

MariaV
06-13-2011, 08:04 AM
Oh you people seem confident (except for getta of course ;)). I'd rather wait for the draw too.

vn01
06-13-2011, 08:46 PM
VAMOS FOR THE TITLE! WIN!!!

:worship:

Edda
06-14-2011, 03:57 AM
Vamos, Rafa!

Topspindoctor
06-14-2011, 06:23 AM
He will win Wimbledon for sure.

FerrerAndNadal
06-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Win

Metis
06-15-2011, 02:51 PM
The seedings were announced today (no big surprises):

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2011-06-15/201106151308128657255.html

Article about Rafa:

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2011-06-15/201106151308130414145.html

Rafael Nadal: the perfect package?

Wednesday, 15 June 2011

http://www.wimbledon.com/images/pics/large/b_pre_nadal_1_aeltc_mh.jpg

Rafa Nadal seemed the perfect package to promote the game as he established himself in its higher echelons. A champion. A ruthless on-court 'killer'. An off-court gentleman; gracious in defeat, humble in victory. Someone with dark, lank-haired bandana-ed rock star looks. A family-orientated, home-loving individual eschewing the party scene. A series of contradictory characteristics which dovetailed to the centimetre.

Yet something was missing. He might have won four French Opens and the hearts of the young and old in and out of the game but legendary status had not been bestowed on him. The moment duly arrived on Wimbledon's Centre Court on Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 9.16pm. The yellow lights of the scoreboard flickered in the growing dusk. They spelt out that Nadal had defeated Roger Federer to seal the men's title.A win over five sets and almost five hours, with two rain delays thrown in (a year before the roof was operational ), enshrined Nadal in the pantheon of tennis greats. :worship:

It meant that he had become the first player since Bjorn Borg in 1980 to win the French Open and the Championships in the same year. It confirmed that the billing of Nadal v Federer had equalled the potency of either Sampras v Agassi or McEnroe v Borg. It also saw him become the first Spaniard since Manuel Santana in 1966 to win the coveted crown. :cool:

But what gained him entry into the exclusive legends club was that he had emerged the victor in a match hailed the greatest ever played by many, including John McEnroe, for the planet's greatest title on the world's greatest court. :bigclap:

It had been coming, of course. Inching ever closer in the two previous finals, both against Federer, a defeat in four sets in 2006 and one by five in 2007. His Swiss opponent might have equalled Bjorn Borg's record of five successive Wimbledon wins but the hot breath of a genuine rival to his supremacy on the lawns of London SW19 was burning the back of his neck. :hug:

The match which secured him his second men's singles success at the All England Club last summer after injury forced his absence in 2009 did not have the experts reaching for their dictionary of superlatives. But the routine three sets win over Tomas Berdych, the Czech Republic player who had accounted for defending champion Federer and Serb Novak Djokovic in the quarter-finals and semi-finals respectively, firmly underlined his credentials as a master of grass. :sport:

Question marks had been placed against Nadal's name when it came to discussing his ability to adapt his game to the natural surface which Santana, also a French Open champion on the red clay of Roland Garros, had once described as being more suited to cows than his own game.

The King of Clay, an epithet attached to Nadal from his first Slam triumph in the City of Light in 2005, had a different outlook. His energy to run down lost causes, patience to construct points and ability to put such a heavy spin on a pulverising left-handed forehand while minimising mistakes were qualities made for performing on clay. To break the will of almost all opponents on it. He knew though that alterations in his style had to be made for him to be a true force on the quicker, slicker green sward.

His early Wimbledon appearances in The Championships left the jury out on whether he could manage it. His Wimbledon main draw debut in 2003 saw him fall in the third round to Thailand's Paradorn Srichaphan and little-known Gilles Muller from Luxembourg beat him a round earlier in 2005 after the Majorcan has missed 2004.

With his uncle and coach Toni, however, he stuck to the task of tailoring his game to provide a good-enough fit, and everyone has discovered just how well since the summer of 2008. :D As Nadal himself puts it: "I improve my tennis. I can slice some more balls, I can go to the net more times. The confidence is not so much different, it is that I have more options." :dance:

No-one would bet against him completing a hat-trick of Wimbledon successes as he steps out on court for the first time in defence of his title this year, having missed the opportunity to do so through injury after his classic against Federer. :sad:

His sixth French Open crown was lifted - equalling another Borg record - in this year's final against Federer at Roland Garros on June 5. It added to 2009 Australian and 2010 US Open glory. But his non-Wimbledon Grand Slam triumphs merely add layers to the foundation of stardust which covered him as he bit the trophy inscribed 'All England Lawn Tennis Club Single Handed Championship of the World' in his trademark style that magical Sunday summer evening three years ago. :inlove:

by Mike Donovan

acionescu
06-15-2011, 06:06 PM
I'd prefer him to emulate Borg and wear shorter shorts, tbh :D

Ben.
06-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Decent draw for Rafa. Raonic in R3 is a bit worrying after what happened last year but hopefully it helps get his return going early on. Potential repeat of last years final in the QF, not the worst QF draw for Rafa, better than Sod or Roddick I think. I suppose Murray in the semi is better than Federer, but only slightly.

MariaV
06-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Uhhhhh, I don't even know. All I know it's a pity to meet Raonic in the 3rd rd already. :sad: Another Fedal final! :o :help: :help: Or perhaps ... how's that Murray and Djokovic - Murrovic or Djoray? :haha: :o Better to say Nolandy perhaps. :o

JolánGagó
06-17-2011, 02:50 PM
MIT pick: R4

Foxy
06-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Decent draw for Rafa. Raonic in R3 is a bit worrying after what happened last year but hopefully it helps get his return going early on. Potential repeat of last years final in the QF, not the worst QF draw for Rafa, better than Sod or Roddick I think. I suppose Murray in the semi is better than Federer, but only slightly.

Yeap. Nice draw. First 2 rounds are perfect. Raonic could be a problem but only on paper. He hasn't done anything woth mentioning in GS and he doesn't have any experience. Del Potro/Simon are not a big problem. Berdych is quite easy. Murray is a better matchup than Roger on grass that is for sure. And of course Murray is more prone to losing early. Good luck, Rafa!

Rafaaah
06-17-2011, 10:04 PM
I think it's one of the better draws I've seen for Rafa than in previous slams. I don't actually think Raonic will be a problem despite a few people being it up. Delpo is pretty bad on grass (though he is my no.2) and simon also shouldn't be a challenge. Berdych was easily despite in last yrs final..and Murray is the easiest opponent compared to fed and Nole so why more can you ask for?! I think the opponents will give Rafa a good mixture of challenges and easy games..so rest and things to work on for later stages of the tournament.

MIT : WIN *I have faith in Rafa! Vamos!!*

born_on_clay
06-17-2011, 10:22 PM
After I saw the draw I have to say: WIN :cool:

Veronique
06-18-2011, 06:52 AM
Win!

Metis
06-18-2011, 01:56 PM
The Draw!!! :rocker2: (sorry, I haven't been around the last couple of days)

[1]Nadal v Russell
Andujar v Sweeting
Muller v Haas
Fognini v [31]Raonic
[24]Del Potro v [Q/LL]
Rochus v [Q/LL]
Gil v Sela
[Q/LL] v [15]Simon

[10]Fish v Granollers
Kohlschreiber v Istomin
Haase v Riba
Stepanek v [21]Verdasco
[25]Chela v [Q/LL]
Young v Bogomolov Jr.
[Q/LL] v Benneteau
Volandri v [6]Berdych[/color]

-------------------

[4]Murray v Gimeno-Traver
Kamke v Kavcic
Stakhovsky v Cox
Ljubicic v [27]Cilic
[17]Gasquet v Giraldo
Kunitsyn v [Q/LL]
[Q/LL] v [Q/LL]
Starace v [14]Wawrinka

[9]Monfils v Bachinger
[Q/LL] v Kendrick
Clement v [Q/LL]
Karlovic v [23]Tipsarevic
[30]Bellucci v Schuettler
Lopez v Berrer
Pospisil v Hanescu
[Q/LL] v [8]Roddick

-------------------

[7]Ferrer v Paire
Dodig v [Q/LL]
Berlocq v [Q/LL]
Golubev v [26]Garcia-Lopez
[22]Dolgopolov v F.Gonzalez
[Q/LL] v Ramirez-Hidalgo
Dimitrov v [Q/LL]
[Q/LL] v [12]Tsonga

[16]Almagro v Nieminen
Isner v Mahut
Devvarman v Gremalmayr
Monaco v [18]Youzhny
[28]Nalbandian v Reister
Serra v Haider-Maurer
Mannarino v [Q/LL]
Kukushkin v [3]Federer

-------------------

[5]Soderling v Petzschner
Nishikori v Hewitt
Andreev v Gabashvili
[Q/LL] v [29]Davydenko
[20]F.Mayer v Evans
Malisse v Zverev
Gulbis v Tursunov
Falla v [11]Melzer

[13]Troicki v M.Gonzalez
Lu v Robredo
Mello v [Q/LL]
Ward v [19]Llodra
[32]Baghdatis v Blake
Seppi v Montanes
Anderson v Marchenko
Chardy v [2]Djokovic

Metis
06-18-2011, 01:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/wimbledon11/columns/story?columnist=tandon_kamakshi&id=6671943

Nadal eyes another Channel Slam

By Kamakshi Tandon
Special to ESPN.com

LONDON -- But for three days' difference, they were born exactly 30 years apart. They have won six French Opens apiece. After establishing awe-inspiring dominance on clay, both managed to buck the conventional wisdom and transfer their particular brand of tennis -- an impenetrable baseline game, mental toughness and physical fitness -- to other surfaces.

And if defending Wimbledon champion Rafael Nadal (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=261) can win the tournament again in two weeks' time, he and Bjorn Borg will have two more things in common: 11 Grand Slam titles and three "Channel Slams" -- the once-rare feat of winning the French Open and Wimbledon back-to-back. Borg won the double a remarkable three times in 1978-80, and it was not done again until Nadal pulled it off in 2008. Roger Federer (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=425) then did it the following year, and Nadal repeated in 2010.

Borg sees his and Nadal's cross-Channel feats as all the more impressive because they have to go uphill, so to speak -- transition from their best surface to a less comfortable one in just two weeks.

"I always had problems the first couple rounds, my first or second round of Wimbledon," the Swedish legend observed a couple of years ago." If I survived those matches, then I started to play good tennis. I think it's a similarity to me and Nadal. He has a little bit more difficult [time] than Federer coming to Wimbledon.

"Federer has a different type of game, so he can get used to the courts, to the grass courts, much easier than Nadal, or for instance me, too. I had a lot of problem in the beginning."

Although their on-court personalities are very different, the career parallels between Borg and Nadal are still striking, and they have particular resonance at the moment because Nadal is pulling alongside Borg, poised to overtake the great Swede.

Should Nadal pull off the Channel Slam again this year, he will have matched just about every one of Borg's significant achievements except the Swede's five straight Wimbledons, and he can point to his U.S. and Australian Open crowns as substitutes -- two titles Borg never won, rarely playing the Australian and being continually thwarted at the U.S. Open.

There is also another, more negative subtext. This was also the period when Borg, frustrated by losses to John McEnroe at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, would start to lose his drive for the game, then abruptly quit at the age of 26.

Earlier this season, cracks began to show in Nadal's armor for the first time as he was defeated by Novak Djokovic (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=296) in four consecutive finals -- including two on clay. " :sobbing:

"I am almost 25, but seems like I am playing for 100 years here on the tour," he said at the French Open one day, quite out of nowhere. "You don't have the chance to stop, never, you know. I think for that situation, we have a shorter career." Later, in the press room, someone remarked, "He's sounding like Borg." :scared:

It was grounds for pause, even though Nadal improved his form and his mood and went on to win the French Open. As he hoisted the trophy for a record-tying sixth time, just two days after his 25th birthday, it was difficult to imagine its being his last. Yet few imagined that Borg's sixth title in 1981 would be his last.

But surely not. This is one parallel Nadal seems determined to avoid. "I feel 25," he was insisting by the end of the French Open.

At Queen's last week, Nadal was clearly tired but was cheerful with the media. Erratic with exhaustion, he lost to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=435) in the quarterfinals, then headed home to Mallorca for a few days of relaxation and fishing -- first calling the tournament director on his way home to apologize for not doing better. :inlove: Nadal and Borg have the same rigid professional discipline, but off the court, Nadal's lifestyle is far more sedate than Borg's.

In any case, concerns about the length of Nadal's career have never centered on his desire but on his physical health. Apart from a badly timed injury at the Australian Open, the Spaniard has been strikingly healthy for the past 12 months. He seems to have found a technique that keeps the chronic tendinitis in his knees at bay. There have been no reports of the problem since last spring and summer, when he underwent PRP (platelet-rich plasma) treatment on his knees, a process that involves injecting the patient's blood into the injured area to hasten healing.

This long stretch of fitness has allowed Nadal to rack up majors at a quick pace. Coming into the French Open last year, he was tied for 21st on the all-time list with six Slam victories. After winning four in the past 13 months, he has leaped to No. 6, and his next victory would put him tied at No. 4 with Borg and Rod Laver. Federer, on top of the list with 16 Grand Slams, will then be in sight.

But even as his legend grows, Nadal does not have quite the same aura of invincibility he did a year ago. Like Borg with McEnroe and Jimmy Connors, he has one rival, Djokovic, breathing down his neck and another, Federer, who refuses to be fully left behind. If he fails to defend his Wimbledon title, Nadal will lose his No. 1 ranking to Djokovic. :tears:

Yet instead of feeling more pressure as history beckons and the pack moves closer, Nadal believes the French Open victory will allow him to relax for the rest of the season -- one major is in the bag. :dance:

And finally, after 10 major wins, the stubbornly modest (:lol:) champion is prepared to acknowledge that he is one of the giants of the sport. "[One] should be humble, but not silly," he told Spanish newspaper El Pais. "With 10 titles, are you among the best in history? Yes. It's a big personal satisfaction." :worship:

Still, that was as far as he would go. "I am not the best player in history," he told reporters after the French Open. "I am one of the best. That's true. That's enough for me." :awww:

But if Nadal can carry on where Borg left off, the conversation will not stop there.

acionescu
06-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Excellent use of smiley, metis :yeah:

!VamosRafa!
06-19-2011, 12:25 AM
Mit: Sf

Metis
06-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Day 1: Monday 20 June

Centre Court
13:00

Gentlemen's Singles - 1st Round
Rafael Nadal (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpn409.html)(ESP)[1]vs. Michael Russell (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpr368.html)(USA)

Ladies' Singles - 1st Round
Francesca Schiavone (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/wta190666.html)(ITA)[6]vs. Jelena Dokic (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/wta040344.html)(AUS)

Gentlemen's Singles - 1st Round
Andy Murray (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpmc10.html)(GBR)[4]vs. Daniel Gimeno-Traver (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpg676.html)(ESP)

:rocker2:

Metis
06-19-2011, 03:46 PM
I'd prefer him to emulate Borg and wear shorter shorts, tbh :D

We all would :awww: but the probability of that happening is even lower than for the RG-Wimbledon double. :sad:

Excellent use of smiley, metis :yeah:

Thank you Andreea. :hatoff: Smilies bring life to a text. I don't understand why writers haven't started using them too. :confused:

star
06-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Tomorrow is the first time Rafa will walk out onto Centre Court as the defending Champion. I'm kind of :inlove: :inlove: about that.

star
06-20-2011, 01:54 AM
Are you posting this stuff, Metis? :confused:

Rafa's pre-tournament interview

Champions Interview :inlove:

Video link

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2011-06-19/201106191308494839064.html

The end of the interview :awww: :hug:

by Ian Baker

They used to say Rafael Nadal could not win tournaments on grass. Even the Spaniard used to admit it himself. :confused: Having been brought up on the dusty clay courts of his home island of Majorca, Nadal never enjoyed similar success on the pristine grass of the All England Club during his formative years.

A natural baseliner, Nadal found the going tough on the quicker surfaces of SW19 and in particular against Roger Federer's more natural grass court game. But having put the disappointments of final defeats to his great rival in 2006 and 2007 behind him, top seed Nadal is the one to beat - on all surfaces.

The 25-year-old has not lost at Wimbledon since 2007. Winner in 2008 and last time out (he withdrew in 2009), Nadal says hard graft [This is not American usage :lol: :lol:] was the key to conquering his demons. "I said one thousand times that my dream always was to play well here in Wimbledon," he insisted. "That's true. At the beginning of my career everybody said that my style of game would make it very difficult to play very well here. But I worked a lot and I put all my best into every practice. The only problem with grass is if you play against a big, big server, because the game is too fast and is not nice to play and for a lot of games you don't touch the ball. But if you play against a normal player, a good serve that you can return the ball, in my opinion, the game from the baseline is fantastic to watch and is fantastic to play because you can slice, you can go to the net, you can play aggressive. If you play too defensive is impossible to play here. But you have different options to do. I love to do that." :inlove:

Nadal has only seldom come to the net in previous years but believes that is one aspect of his game that can improve this time around. "On grass, the surface helps you to go a little bit more to the net," he said. That's something that is not a problem for me. I don't have the volley of Roger, for sure. But I think I'm fast and my movements are enough good to go to the net. I think I have enough experience and enough good volleys to do it." :bigclap:

Nadal plays his first match of the tournament against American Michael Russell on Monday. And in a stark warning to Federer, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray, he insists he is still getting better. "I think I try my best every day to keep improving my tennis," he added. "I wake up every day in order to practice with the illusion :hearts: to be better player than day before. I think I'm a more complete player than few years ago, I am sure on that. But being better doesn't mean that you going to win more. Because winning or losing depends on different facts and small things. I love to play big matches. I love to play in big stadiums like here, historic stadiums like Wimbledon. So for me, when I start playing my first match of the tournament in the Centre Court that is a dream." :worship:

rafa_maniac
06-20-2011, 03:07 AM
Tomorrow is the first time Rafa will walk out onto Centre Court as the defending Champion. I'm kind of :inlove: :inlove: about that.

Me too, it's what I've most been looking forward to about this Wimbledon. Too bad we can't have a nice sunny day for it :(

Björki
06-20-2011, 06:45 AM
WIN

@Sweet Cleopatra
06-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Vamos Rafa :hug:

Castafiore
06-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Thank you Andreea. :hatoff: Smilies bring life to a text. I don't understand why writers haven't started using them too. :confused:
:rolls: Imagine reading about the financial crisis or the Libya war with smilies.

Contagion from the Greek debt crisis :scared: could spread to at least five other European countries - including Belgium :stupid: or even :spit: Italy - if it isn't controlled :armed:, the head of the eurozone group said at the weekend.

Wimbledon 2011: strokes of genius behind Rafael Nadal

The Telegraph
June 20, 2011

There is a contradiction at the heart of the world’s best male tennis player. On the court, Rafael Nadal is freakish and unique.

With his extreme Western grip and his whiplash forehand, struck while leaning back in direct contravention of the coaching manual, he must be the most unorthodox and ground-breaking No 1 since Bjorn Borg.

And yet, off the court, Nadal gives every impression of decency, humility, and an almost exaggerated normality. If you listen to his press conferences, or read his blogs (“I went out to Wimbledon to do some grocery”), you could just as easily be dealing with a Majorcan PE teacher as a global sporting icon and multi-millionaire.

How do we explain this split personality? On the one hand, the offbeat tennis genius. On the other, the humble Joe (or Juan, perhaps) who still lives quietly in his native town of Manacor?

Actually, it isn’t all that difficult. You only have to meet Toni Nadal - Rafa’s uncle, coach, and mentor — and everything becomes clear.

In his wonderful book Strokes of Genius, the Sports Illustrated writer L Jon Wertheim suggests that “child psychologists often say that every adolescent male needs an adult to help him grow up, and it can’t be a father. In Nadal’s case, this was clearly his uncle, a mystical figure who shaped the kid’s tennis game and his core identity in equal measure.” As you might infer, the relationship between Rafa and Toni has a touch of the Lukes and the Obi-Wans about it. Or perhaps of an old sea dog and his eager young cabin boy.

I sought Uncle Toni out last Friday, at a wet Wimbledon, and found him playing chess in the player’s lounge. His opponent was another Spanish coach, Jose Clavet, who clearly had the King’s Gambit down pat.

Toni’s forces were in sharp decline as Clavet launched a series of frenzied thrusts down the right.

“I am so bad!” Toni exclaimed. “So bad today!”

Happily, though, he was chuckling rather than chuntering. It is part of his philosophy, he told me later, to accept defeat with good grace. Indeed Toni is the only leading coach who regularly applauds winning shots from the opposition camp’s box.

“I believe you must have respect for everyone and everything,” Toni explained, in his workable but slightly halting English. “Not only your opponent, but the court, the racket, the person who works at the tennis, the person who works at the hotel.

“Of course I also like winning matches, but this is a game and I know the opponent is sometimes — not many times — better than us. I love tennis, but I know it is not that important. If you think you are important because you are good at hitting a ball,” he concluded, while pointing a finger to his forehead, “you are not too intelligent.”

Rafa has always had a knack for hitting a ball. He was four years old when Uncle Toni — who had ranked among the top 50 Spanish players in his early 20s — first put a racket in his hand. Until he was eight, this boy prodigy struck the ball double-handed off both wings. Then Toni came up with one of those “strokes of genius” that Wertheim’s book alludes to: he suggested that Rafa should hold the racket in his left — or wrong - hand.

The justification? “I always hated playing lefties. I thought he should at least try it.” Toni was also responsible for Rafa’s extraordinary grip, in which he holds the butt of the racket, not the middle of the handle like the average club player.

The idea had grown out of Toni’s interest in table tennis, because this sort of grip increases your capacity for spin. As a direct result, Rafa’s wickedly hooked and weighty forehand has become the dominant shot in men’s tennis, calculated to rotate the ball at 5000rpm — or almost twice as fast as Roger Federer’s more conventional stroke.

Toni, it seems, is no great believer in orthodoxy, whether in tennis or in life. He dislikes religion, arguing that “it comes from ignorance”. He has no interest in marrying his long-term girlfriend, pointing out that “if we are friends, you know it, I know it, and we don’t need to announce it. It is the same with my girlfriend.” At the same time, though, he preaches the importance of morality, humility, and above all, respect. Respect is a word he uses again and again.

“Rafael has never broken a racket, not once,” he said. “You should have respect for the money it cost, and for the people who made it. When you are at the computer and you type something wrong, do you throw the computer away? If you cannot control your body and your mind it is difficult to control the ball.”

It is hard to imagine a more loyal or committed supporter than Toni, who has given up his own life to steer his nephew through the shoals of superstardom. But he is far from being a fawning courtier. Even now that Rafa wears £350,000 watches, the nephew still has to put his expenses past his uncle’s watchful eye.

One story — quoted in Wertheim’s book - refers to an occasion in 2006 when the director of Queen’s offered to fly Rafa from Roland Garros to London by helicopter, only for Toni to veto the idea on the basis that he had already bought Eurostar tickets. “We’re not wasting that money,” he said.

When I brought this anecdote up, Toni was hazy about the details. He admitted, though, that it was the sort of thing he might have done. “You should always be equal with other people. I remember when Rafael was 16, and playing in Challenger events, he went out with a friend and told me the next day they had gone to a smart seafood restaurant. I said 'You’re 16! You should be eating at Burger King, like the other boys your age!’”

But isn’t Rafael Nadal, the best tennis player in the world, entitled to a little luxury?

Toni fixed me with a stern look. “You can’t drive a Rolls-Royce all the time,” he said. “Look at Maradona, who came to London last year. He was so successful, but after football, there was a big fall. I say to Rafael, you might be No 1 or No 2 in the world, but it is better for you, I think, that you know how to be normal.”

Ever the vigilant guardian, Toni is already thinking about his nephew’s exit strategy from the sport he has made his life. But with an ally like him in the player’s box, Rafa surely has many fine years and achievements still to come.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/8585244/Wimbledon-2011-strokes-of-genius-behind-Rafael-Nadal.html

JolánGagó
06-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Rafito :drool: :hearts:

Bamos! :rocker2:

MariaV
06-20-2011, 10:51 AM
OMG OMG I should make a prediction beofre the match starts! Oh well, I'll say W. Vamos! :rocker:

Metis
06-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Update:

1st -
2nd -
3rd - Getta
4th - JolanGago
QF -
SF - !VamosRafa!
F - cobalt60
W - Bjorki, born_on_clay, FerrerAndNadal, Foxy, MariaV, Metis, Minn, rafa_maniac, Rafaaah, tennizen, TopSpinDoctor, Veronique, vn01

Metis
06-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Are you posting this stuff, Metis? :confused:

I would have but you took advantage of the early morning hours. :(

:rolls: Imagine reading about the financial crisis or the Libya war with smilies.

Contagion from the Greek debt crisis :scared: could spread to at least five other European countries - including Belgium :stupid: or even :spit: Italy - if it isn't controlled :armed:, the head of the eurozone group said at the weekend.

Now isn't that better? Brings some cheer to the news. :D

Uncle Toni :worship:

JolánGagó
06-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Update:

why isn't mi pick here? :scratch:

Metis
06-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Ooops sorry. :o Corrected.

vn01
06-20-2011, 06:06 PM
excellent start for Rafa. Sweeting next! VAMOS CHAMP! :rocker:

MariaV
06-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Phew, one down. ;)

born_on_clay
06-20-2011, 06:20 PM
nice opening Rafa :bowdown:

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/326/wimbyround1.jpg

Foxy
06-20-2011, 08:25 PM
nice opening Rafa :bowdown:

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/326/wimbyround1.jpg

Great job once again, Rafal! And nice first match, Rafa! Go for it!

Ben.
06-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Only saw the first set but I feared he might have to grind out a long three setter so was pleased when I saw the scoreline and a relatively quick match for Rafa. Off to Wimbledon tomorrow to see a lot of rain probably :lol:

star
06-21-2011, 02:45 AM
Wimbledon does not care about the international tennis journalists :banana:

Monday, 20 June 2011

R. Nadal bt M. Russell 6 4, 6 2, 6 2

Q. You never got to defend your first Wimbledon title. You finally got that moment of walking out first on Centre Court as defending champion. How did it feel?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, fantastic. Seriously, I never played in a court like this. Was a big emotion be the first player to play in this fabulous court. So seriously was a very, very exciting feeling.

Fantastic how see the court in the really, really perfect conditions. So, yes, very, very happy for everything.

Q. Your final in 2008 against Federer is remembered as one of the greatest games ever. But this year there's a lot of talk about the top four seeds all being very equal, Murray, Djokovic and Federer. Who do you see as your biggest opponent?

RAFAEL NADAL: My biggest opponent is Sweeting now. :lol: :lol: I am focused on my part of the draw. I'm focused on myself. To play against Andy or Djokovic or Federer only can be in the final, against Andy in the semi-finals.

So remain a lot for that. So let's talk about today. Let's talk about tomorrow. Not let's talk about in 10 days or 12 days, because I don't know if I am here or I am fishing in Mallorca. You never know what's going on in a tournament like this.

So happy about the victory in the first round. Especially happy how I played in the second and the third set.

Q. You responded to his breaking your serve in the first set very vigorously. Were you surprised that he took that game?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think he started playing very well, I think aggressive, having good returns. I started, in my opinion, trying to play too fast in the beginning probably. I had few mistakes with the backhand, with the forehand. So he had the break.

But after that I started to change a little bit more the rhythm with the slice, trying to play a little bit longer points, try to hit the forehand when I had the chance. I think I did well after that first moment of the first set.

My level in general I think was very positive, no?

Q. What opportunity did you have yesterday to watch the U.S. Open golf, and have you had any communications with Rory since he won?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. I for sure text him a message. You know how when you win a tournament like this how many messages you have on the phone.

Anyway, he did amazing. He played solid yesterday, doing what he had to do all the time, no mistakes. So mentally, we talk about the level of the golf, well, only Tiger a few times. Saw one player play like this.

Was perfect, in my opinion, round of golf, every day, yesterday. Because after the nine holes, he played solid all the time with no mistakes. Is tough when you have to be solid and you don't have to do mistakes.

When you have to play aggressive, you know what you have to do is probably sometimes easier, but when you have to defend the advantage, you start to play a little bit more defensive. Sometimes can be dangerous. And he did perfect. He managed the moments perfect, in my opinion.

Q. He said he's going to be here next Monday. What are your thoughts on him being here and being in the Royal Box?

RAFAEL NADAL: Hopefully have the chance to congratulate him in person. :lol:

Q. In the last eight years you're the only player to win Queen's and then go on and win Wimbledon. How important do you think it is to get a win on grass before you come here, or is it not that important?

RAFAEL NADAL: For sure is important. I did in 2008. I won in Queen's and after I won here in Wimbledon. But I heard before that was a long time without a player. How many years?

Q. 2002, Lleyton Hewitt.

RAFAEL NADAL: Oh, 2002 Lleyton Hewitt did it. I thought it was more.

No, for sure I prefer to win a tournament before I start Wimbledon than don't win a tournament. If not, is stupid say another thing.

Different tournaments. But for sure if you win in Queen's, you have chance to win here for sure, little bit more because the confidence, because everything.

Q. How nice was it for you to see your mother and father sitting in the Royal Box in the front row?

RAFAEL NADAL: Too many beautiful things to saw my mom and my dad in the Royal Box. For sure can just say thanks to Wimbledon, to the people who organize this fantastic tournament to invite my mother and father to the Royal Box. I think for them was a great experience. So, yeah, everything in general was very, very nice today.

Q. You have two free nights before your next match. Will you stay in your apartment, or do you think you'll go out in London?

RAFAEL NADAL: Two free nights?

Q. Two nights before your next match.

RAFAEL NADAL: Like always. Always is the same. Is a Grand Slam. Always you have two nights before your next match, no?

Q. But will you stay in your apartment or go out?

RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't have time to plan what I gonna do. I don't know. I will talk with my team. If they want to go out not for a party, if they want to go out for the dinner in London or they want to stay at home, for me doesn't matter. Everything is fine for me.

Q. What are your thoughts on your next opponent? You mentioned that's the only match you're thinking about now.

RAFAEL NADAL: I played against him two times this year, one time in Australia, one time in Indian Wells. He had a fantastic comeback today, so probably he arrives to the match with good confidence.

I think he's a good player, no? I saw him winning matches around the tournaments. He's playing better and better every time.

We will see. I have to play my tennis. I have to play aggressive like every day. That hopefully will be enough. If not, congratulate the opponent.

MariaV
06-21-2011, 08:04 AM
Thanks Star, Rafababy adorable as always. :lol:

Metis
06-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Congratulating people must be one of Rafa's favorite things. :lol:

Sonja1989
06-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Update:

Win :)

Thanks everybody for the good stuff here. :hug:

MariaV
06-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Diana, you're late to play MIT if you didn't predict before Rafa's first match.

Congratulating people must be one of Rafa's favorite things. :lol:

Alongside with fishing in Mallorca and golf, and football of course. :) ;)
But that's why he is such an Adorabilito.

JolánGagó
06-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Our Rafito is so übersweet :drool: :inlove:

star
06-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Our Rafito is so übersweet :drool: :inlove:

Quiet, hater. :mad:

Metis
06-21-2011, 09:05 PM
^ :lol:

Day 3: Wednesday 22 June

Centre Court 13:00

Ladies' Singles - 2nd Round
Kimiko Date-Krumm (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/wta040130.html)(JPN) vs. Venus Williams (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/wta230220.html)(USA)[23]

Gentlemen's Singles - 2nd Round
Rafael Nadal (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpn409.html)(ESP)[1] vs. Ryan Sweeting (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpsg87.html)(USA)

Gentlemen's Singles - 2nd Round
Victor Hanescu (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atph528.html)(ROU) vs. Andy Roddick (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpr485.html)(USA)[8]

Betty
06-21-2011, 09:20 PM
didnt i mit?:speakles:

damn i would take a SF :awww:

star
06-21-2011, 10:52 PM
People boohooing over Murray on Court 1 tomorrow.

Nadal played twice on Court 1 last year. :rolleyes:

Metis
06-22-2011, 12:57 PM
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2011-06-20/201106201308566476511.html

Nadal’s number may be up :scared:

by Sally Easton

Novak Djokovic is on course to leave Wimbledon as the world No.1. If things go according to schedule at The Championships and he reaches the final, the world No. 2 will take the top slot in two weeks' time. :(

In fact, the only way Rafael Nadal can retain his top dog slot is by winning The Championships and hoping Djokovic does not get to the final. Djokovic has just 65 fewer ATP ranking points than Rafael Nadal: 12,070 vs 12,005, so Nadal has no wriggle room on the numbers.

Even more, if Nadal falls before the final, the Serb will take the ATP ranking lead, even if he goes out in the first round (or any later round) himself.

Nadal could also be vulnerable from world No. 3, Roger Federer. If Federer wins, and Nadal goes out before the final, the Swiss leapfrogs the Spaniard. :speakles:

Between them, these three share 28 Grand Slam titles, eight of them Wimbledon titles, of which Federer leads Nadal 6-2. And there are another three Grand Slam tournament champions in the main draw - Juan Martin del Potro (US Open), Lleyton Hewitt (US Open; Wimbledon) and Andy Roddick (US Open). Altogether they've amassed 32 Grand Slam titles. Andy Roddick has also been a losing finalist four times, three of them at Wimbledon (2009, 2005, 2004), so it's too early yet to dismiss the 8th seed from adding to his title tally.

Metis
06-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Even Wimbledon journalists have started to make fun of Rafa's ****. Very disrespectful if you ask me. :(

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2011-06-20/201106201308570798794.html

Nadal able to survive hairy moments :speakles:

by Kate Battersby

Was it that Rafael Nadal's hair seemed marginally shorter today than when he swept to his sixth French Open title earlier this month? As the Spaniard embarked upon the defence of his Wimbledon title on the Centre Court this afternoon, for a while in the opening set he seemed to experience a Samson-like game or two.

Michael Russell, ranked 91 and at the venerable age of 33 the oldest American on the Tour, had nothing to lose and was gamely going for his shots. Nadal, meanwhile, was still occupied making friends again with the lush surface, and somehow found himself on the wrong end of a 2-4 scoreline.

But a definitive pronouncement on the crucial matter of the Spaniard's hair was difficult to reach - and on the eventual evidence, Samsonian judgments were proven a tad premature. From 2-4 down, he permitted Russell a mere four further games.

The American - who is so dedicated to fitness that in some quarters he is known as Iron Mike - could not claim to be short on experience. Not only is this his fifth Wimbledon, but his career day in the sun came fully a decade ago at Roland Garros when he held match point for a straight sets win over then defending champion Gustavo Kuerten. But on that day, the crucial point eluded him and he lost in five. Today, any grandiose ideas of reaching the brink of victory against another clay court master were soon dispatched as trash fiction

Nadal and his old friend, the grass surface, got to know one another again in no time, and he produced almost three times as many outright winners as he did errors. At that rate Russell would have needed to do something really outrageous, like daring to move Nadal's water bottles out of their careful alignment, to have had any chance of ruffling his opponent. :rolleyes:

Such underhand tactics are of course not the thing at all, and so Russell's first round fate was sealed. Nadal won 6-4 6-2 6-2, watched by his parents Sebastian and Ana Maria from the Royal Box. Even a correct challenge from Russell to overturn Nadal's apparent match-winning point delayed the inevitable for the shortest possible time. After all, as others have observed, Nadal is a man who plays every point as if it is match point.

So no shame for Russell. Nadal, now 25, has not lost on the lawns of SW19 in four years, although as he missed the 2009 Championships with a knee injury, this is the first time he has attempted to defend his crown. And he is clearly taking matters one step at a time. Quizzed about the talk here that the four top men's seeds are closely matched, he was asked who he sees as his biggest opponent.

"Sweeting, now," replied Nadal without hesitation, in a reference to Ryan Sweeting, who he will play in Wednesday's second round. "He's a good player. I've seen him winning matches, and he's better and better every time. So let's talk about today, or tomorrow, not about ten or 12 days' time, when I don't know if I'll be here or fishing in Majorca."

Just the right attitude, of course. But not many at the All England Club expect Nadal to be putting his feet up at home for a couple of weekends yet.

Metis
06-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Rafael Nadal - Ryan Sweeting: Video preview

Jason Goodall analyses the second round match between reigning champion Rafael Nadal and unheralded American Ryan Sweeting: http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2011-06-22/201106221308733627434.html

Jason Goodall looks very different from what I had pictured! :eek:

star
06-22-2011, 01:04 PM
[B][SIZE=3]

Jason Goodall looks very different from what I had pictured! :eek:

Really! I had pictured him quite differently.

ufiors
06-22-2011, 02:07 PM
Seems that his parents are returned together again.... ;)

born_on_clay
06-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Preety solid today ;)

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/6963/wimby11r2.jpg

Ben.
06-23-2011, 02:59 AM
Very good performance against Sweeting. Barely made any errors and showed some willingness to finish at the net showing some nice touch, served relly well too. First time I've seen him play live and it didn't dissapoint, just a shame Sweeting didn't offer a bigger test so it could have lasted a bit longer.

Shame about Milos, was looking forward to that match.

Metis
06-23-2011, 08:59 AM
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/match_reports/2011-06-22/201106221308741825973.html

Nadal notches up Sweeting victory

by Ron Atkin

Defending champion Rafael Nadal swept into the last 32 with another straight-sets victory over American opposition on Centre Court. This time the victim was Ryan Sweeting, who was sent packing 6-3, 6-2, 6-4 in two hours and seven minutes with the stadium roof closed to guard against inclement weather conditions.

Though he was slow into his stride, the Spaniard was virtually untouchable on serve for two of the three sets and by that stage he was playing well enough to fend off the comeback attempt which the 6ft 5in Sweeting produced in what proved to be the final set.

The 23-year-old Sweeting did well to match Nadal for power and aggression for much of the match, though he was eventually betrayed by a tendency to double-fault at key moments.

In addition to the brilliant serving which saw him concede only eight points in the first two sets, Nadal was the epitome of steadiness and committed just seven unforced errors, an incredible performance. :worship:

Nadal supporters had an early chance to rejoice when the world number one broke serve in the fourth game of the opening set, reaching break point with one of his special searing forehands down the line, which was followed by the first of what proved to be 10 Sweeting double faults. Giving virtually nothing away on his own serve, Nadal mopped up the opening set in 36 minutes with the second of his match total of nine aces.

Beneath his back-to-front cap, Sweeting's head dropped a little at the start of the second set, a fatal thing to do against Nadal, and in no time he found himself trailing 4-0. To his credit, the American then hit back bravely but not in time to prevent Nadal capturing the second set in spectacular fashion with three successive aces.

In the opening game of the third set, Sweeting clung onto his serve despite three double-faults and though Nadal broke in the third game the American hit back to capture the Spanish serve for the first - and only - time in the match. Nadal's response was typical. From a 2-3 deficit he swept four of the next five games, extending his Wimbledon winning streak to 16 matches.

Metis
06-23-2011, 09:04 AM
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2011-06-22/201106221308742679467.html

Nadal surprised by 'in decline' query

by Kate Battersby

http://www.wimbledon.com/images/pics/large/b_03_nadal_07_aeltc_m_hangst.jpg

Unexpected questions of our time.... Having won a straightforward victory over Ryan Sweeting to reach the third round, Rafael Nadal was asked in his post-match press conference if he is "a man in decline". :spit: Yes, that Rafael Nadal. The No.1 player in the world, who earlier this month acquired his 10th Grand Slam title at the French Open. You could forgive the Spaniard for appearing politely startled.

"Me?" he queried, reasonably. "But I won Roland Garros two weeks ago. It's a little bit fast to say I am a man in decline. Next year maybe. But probably now it is a little bit dangerous to say that."

Apparently the question was prompted by the fact that Nadal must defend his Wimbledon crown if he is to stand any chance of retaining the No.1 spot, and will lose the top ranking in any case if Novak Djokovic makes the final. All the same, Nadal was slightly baffled.

"This is my seventh year in the top two," he pointed out. "That's a lot of years. Maybe they are right. I don't know."

His opponent Sweeting, probably would not classify Nadal as "a man in decline". The big news for the American was that he broke through the four-game barrier against the world No.1 in their second round match on the Centre Court. In their two previous career meetings, both this year, four was as many as he could amass on either occasion. By the time he equalled that mark, he was already a set and 4-1 down, but he knew its significance and whirled his arms in the direction of the crowd, to encourage them to applaud the moment all the more.

Incongruously, he seemed less excited by his ultimate acquisition of nine games in all, perhaps because he couldn't quite manage to gather enough at any one time to add up to an actual set. Instead the nine games were distributed throughout what was always going to be an entirely routine victory for the defending champion, with the scoreline eventually reading 6-3, 6-2, 6-4. Ah well.

For Nadal the chief novelty of the occasion was that it was the first time he had played under the Centre Court roof. In the event protection from the elements proved superfluous, as in fact there was no rain for the duration of the match. But when the encounter began showers were still forecast. In the British summer, it pays to exercise caution.

"With or without the roof, the Centre Court is the best court in the world," enthused the Spaniard diplomatically afterwards. "It's always a pleasure to play on it - but for sure I prefer to play with the roof off."

Nadal's second round match directly followed Venus Williams' enthralling win over the veteran Kimiko Date-Krumm. It takes an exceptional occasion for spectators to vacate their seats at the start of any match involving Nadal, and this was one of the few times when the Spaniard went into battle in front of a half-empty stadium. The die-hard fans who knew where their correct priorities lay included HRH the Duchess of Cornwall in the Royal Box, who nipped out for the briefest possible break between matches before returning to see Nadal. Clearly she was keen to make the most of her visit to SW19.

Rafaaah
06-23-2011, 05:10 PM
If there is a repeat of results from last year's Wimbledon for Rafa:W and Nole:SF (which I hope!!)...then Rafa will have 3720 points to defend until the end of the year and Nole will have 3815 points to defend so it will be a head on head battle to the finish line.

Currently Rafa has 5720 and Nole has 4535 points to defend.

Vamos!! Take the Wimbey crown again...PLEASEEEE!!!

star
06-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Interview

R. Nadal - second round
Wednesday, 22 June 2011

R. NADAL bt R. Sweeting 6-3, 6-2, 6-4

Q. You must be very pleased with how you played today.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I think I was playing well. I was playing well the first two sets, and especially the beginning of the third. I think I was playing aggressive and with good feelings. But 2 1, 40 Love, I had a few mistakes. And, yeah, he break me back. And after the match was tougher and closer then.

Q. Was that because he started playing better or do you think your level dropped a little bit?

RAFAEL NADAL: I had a few mistakes. Two volleys at that game. So I felt playing very well in that situation, serving much better than the beginning. No, after that game he started to play more aggressive. He had very good points, very good shots, was dangerous match for me. In general, I think I did good.

Q. Did you feel any difference in the conditions, playing under the roof?

RAFAEL NADAL: More humid conditions inside. And I don't know if for this change because the atmosphere inside the court with the roof is more humid or because was raining before the match or something. But seems like the court is a little more slippery than usual, the left part of the opponent's place of the royal box.

Q. In Paris you got to renew your rivalry with Roger in a final for the first time in a while. What else is going on this year is it seems some people think there's another rivalry emerging for you with Novak Djokovic who defeated you four times this year. Do you think this rivalry thing is something that players think about or something that just journalists think about?

RAFAEL NADAL: I cannot talk for the rest of the players. I can talk for myself. You know, I always say the same: that you feel the rivalry at the end of the season. We will see who gonna be my rival or with which rivals I gonna compete to finish No. 5, No. 6 of the world, or No. 1 or No. 2. Depends how I played during the season. In September I can tell you who is my rival at that moment. Today my rival is every day my opponent and myself, too, because I have to do well in every tournament in every match. To play against Novak, I only can play against him in a final. Is true I played already four finals with him this year. But Roger was there all the time, semifinals. And finally he played a final of Roland Garros, beating Novak in semifinals. I understand you have to write, you have to create histories. That's part of your job. But, you know, we will see, no? With Roger, we had a big rivalry probably because we played against each other in finals of Grand Slams, in finals of important matches for both of us, for a lot of years. With Novak is happening the same. We talked about Novak this year, but Novak for the last four years stays at the No. 3 of the world. He wasn't No. 25. He was there inside this rivalry, no? And when everybody talk about the rivalry of Roger and me, Novak was there. I consider Novak like a rival. Andy Murray, too. The thing is not always between two. I think is a lot of players there, and especially the top four had great years the last few ones. Between Andy, Novak, Roger and me, we played probably the biggest matches the last couple of years.

Q. The difference with Roger, though, was that you were deemed to be in the ascendancy. If you look on the Wimbledon website today, the most popular story is you being toppled as No. 1 if you don't win this tournament and that you may be a man in decline. Do you feel like a man in decline?

RAFAEL NADAL: Me?

Q. Yes.

RAFAEL NADAL: Maybe. But I won Roland Garros two weeks ago. I don't forget (smiling). Maybe you or the website yes. After winning Roland Garros, two weeks later is a little bit fast to say I am. You can say that maybe next year, but probably now is a little bit dangerous to say that. But, no, you know, is my seventh year without be out of the top two. Is a lot of years. Probably I started to be decline, but hopefully not. Maybe they are right. I don't know. [Humbalito :worship: ]

Q. Did it feel slightly odd today to be playing indoors with a roof on when everyone else was playing outdoors in sunshine?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, that's something strange. But they told me they gonna open the roof. But after the last minute, they told me they predicts a shower. Never comes. We gonna close the roofs. A new experience for me, a good experience. But the tournament is outdoor, is not indoor. And I prefer to play outdoor.

Q. How do you look at Michael Laudrup's first seen in Mallorca?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, the goal was convert. We still in the first division. I think they did well. A lot of changes in the club. Last year, a lot of new players, new president, new people managing the club. So wasn't an easy situation, and I think they did well. They did enough points to be in the first league next year. So I think with the team that we had, we had a fantastic season, and I think the coach and the people who worked for the coach, with Michael and himself, they did a very good work for Mallorca. I am very happy with them.

Q. Did you get nervous in the end?

RAFAEL NADAL: More than nervous. Last day was terribly dangerous.

Q. You played Muller a few years ago in the second round and lost. You probably didn't expect to be playing him perhaps in the third round. What is your view of Muller, your memories of that match? How have you changed in your game and your belief in yourself since then?

RAFAEL NADAL: I played six years ago, seven years ago. Was a long time. But he beat me. So that's what happened. He's a very dangerous player. Very sorry for Milos today, what happened to him. That's terrible for any player. I wish him all the best to recover fast. You know, Gilles is a very dangerous player. He has a very good serve, good volley. He's especially very dangerous player in this kind of surface. So will be tough match for me. I have to be very focused all the time with my serve and try to convert the small chances that I can have on the return.

Q. In your spare time when you go home, are you still cooking in the evening to relax?

RAFAEL NADAL: Here?

Q. Yes.

RAFAEL NADAL: Seriously, this year, I cooked every day, every day for me or for the team. Toni have diet, so I don't cook for him. :lol: But for the rest of the team, I cooked almost every day. [:awww: Poor team. Gambas an pasta everyday! ]

Q. What's your specialty?

RAFAEL NADAL: A lot of things. No, very simple things. I do pasta.

Q. Are you as good a cook as you are a tennis player?

RAFAEL NADAL: Probably not.

Castafiore
06-23-2011, 09:07 PM
I wonder if his team sometimes sneak out for a fish and chips to escape the seafood/pasta dishes.

acionescu
06-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Tio T. was the most inventive, he invented a diet :lol: :yeah:

Rafaaah
06-24-2011, 12:44 AM
When his team are sick of his pasta, he can invite us around to finish it off..haha!!

Zinn
06-24-2011, 01:15 AM
Rafa should have an easy third round.

star
06-24-2011, 02:12 AM
Tio T. was the most inventive, he invented a diet :lol: :yeah:

That's what I thought too! What is the diet? "No seafood or pasta." :lol:

shawshank
06-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Guys, I have just cameback from Wimbledon and I want to share few memories with you.
I had a great luck to have a "Competitors guest" badge there, so I could enter locker rooms, training grounds, players restaurant and many other places that I would never dream of seeing.
I spent there 3 days and it was amazing.
I saw Nadal-Sweeting match seating one row behind uncle Toni. I saw Rafa couple of times on the training. Once he played with Feli and he was in a great mood. Lopez was at the net and Rafa was on the baseline, so Feli was supossed to play some volleys. Rafa put three balls on the court next to baseline and kicked them with his leg exactly to the racket of Feli. It was amazing. Rafa is such a great footballer. All the people around started aplauding Rafa. Then Rafa went to the net and Feli wanted to do the same but failed to do it even once.
I had a dinner in the players restaurant seating next table to Rafa. Nadal when he is in his entourage he is completly different making jokes around all the time.
I haven't seen Ana Maria, so maybe she left after first match. So, I can't confirm if they're back together.
On one training Rafa played for a couple of minutes one-handed backhand. It was amazing, because his shots were really accurate and fast.
Ok guys, I could write a book about all the memories I have from this three days, not only conected with Rafa.
I was also lucky that Kubot is playing such a great tournament. His matches were really great.
I will only write one more funny experience- after all the matches on Wednasday, I went for a beer in a Wimbledon village and while going there I saw two girls holding their hands together and walking around. I said to myself 'nothing special'. But then they turned around and I saw Schiavone with her girlfriend (way preetier than Fran) :D You could see from the very first moment who was a men in this reletionship :D
That's it!
Now it's time for Rafa to win again at amazing Wimbledon!

star
06-25-2011, 12:18 PM
:hatoff:

Thanks for that great report. What a fantastic experience for you to see the inside part of the player's existence at Wimbledon -- things that most people will never see. Thanks for sharing with us. :hug:

born_on_clay
06-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks shawshank ;)

Metis
06-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Great stuff Shawshank! Must have been quite an experience!

MariaV
06-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the great report Shawshank, so the volleying helped Feli to beat Roddick. :D :lol: I think they share the house with Rafa this year too, hope Feli will keep on playing well. :D
And yes probably the parents only came to 'visit' (sit) in the Royal Box for the opening match, was an honour for Rafa to open this year. :D
This could also be the reason they sit next to each other, not that they're back together, who knows.

Nice last set bagel vs Muller from Rafa, lovely, lovely. :D :D :D Let's hope he'll be ready to fight DelPortro on Monday, VAMOS! :rocker: :bounce: :bigclap:

Metis
06-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Nadal-Muller 7-6 7-6 6-0

1st -
2nd -
3rd - Getta
4th - JolanGago
QF -
SF - !VamosRafa!
F - cobalt60

Getta: You did it again! :yeah:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/6/14/0609e7e1-e509-4799-a739-3dd4618411f6.gif (http://cheezburger.com/_C_A_T_/lolz/View/4867908352)

Ben.
06-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Great read Shawshank. I was also at the Sweeting match :)

Well done to Rafa today. Refusing to give any cheap points to Muller on his serve though he certainly struggled to take advantage of the few small openings againt Muller's serve before the third set. Good to see he held his nerve in the tiebreaks though, unlike against Isner at RG. That is surely a product of having more confidence.

The matches are only going to get tougher from here on out, starting with Delpo, Rafa should win but Juan Martin can certainly give him some trouble.

@Sweet Cleopatra
06-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Guys, I have just cameback from Wimbledon and I want to share few memories with you.
I had a great luck to have a "Competitors guest" badge there, so I could enter locker rooms, training grounds, players restaurant and many other places that I would never dream of seeing.
I saw Nadal-Sweeting match seating one row behind uncle Toni. I saw Rafa couple of times on the training. Once he played with Feli and he was in a great mood. Lopez was at the net and Rafa was on the baseline, so Feli was supossed to play some volleys. Rafa put three balls on the court next to baseline and kicked them with his leg exactly to the racket of Feli. It was amazing. Rafa is such a great footballer. All the people around started aplauding Rafa. Then Rafa went to the net and Feli wanted to do the same but failed to do it even once.
I had a dinner in the players restaurant seating next table to Rafa. Nadal when he is in his entourage he is completly different making jokes around all the time.
I haven't seen Ana Maria, so maybe she left after first match. So, I can't confirm if they're back together.
On one training Rafa played for a couple of minutes one-handed backhand. It was amazing, because his shots were really accurate and fast.
Ok guys, I could write a book about all the memories I have from this three days, not only conected with Rafa.
I was also lucky that Kubot is playing such a great tournament. His matches were really great.
I will only write one more funny experience- after all the matches on Wednasday, I went for a beer in a Wimbledon village and while going there I saw two girls holding their hands together and walking around. I said to myself 'nothing special'. But then they turned around and I saw Schiavone with her girlfriend (way preetier than Fran) :D You could see from the very first moment who was a men in this reletionship :D
That's it!

I am so jealous. :sad::sad::sad:

Foxy
06-25-2011, 04:25 PM
That's it!

Love it! Great experience. Thanks for sharing! Thumbs up! ;)

vn01
06-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Rafa is playing very well at Wimbledon this year. it won't be easy against Del Potro, but I think Nadal will win. His road to the SF doesn't seem problematic. :)

born_on_clay
06-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Stats after round 3
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7347/sjndklsd.jpg

Only 3 unforced errors ? :cool: Pretty impressive :D

star
06-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Only 3 unforced errors ? :cool: Pretty impressive :D

Wimbledon = low ue counts.

Rafaaah
06-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience Shawshank, you are very lucky to see Rafa so close and get to see the side we don't see on court!

I must way, the match with Muller wasn't the most entertaining match. I'm sure Rafa might feel the same as he prefers a rally rather than just serve serve serve. Muller was good at serving but he wasn't good enough to really test Rafa or challenge Rafa's serve. I guess games when it's all about holding your serve safely is a bit laborious.

Rafa vs. Delpo certainly sounds like a fascinating match up especially they are my no.1 and no.2!! But Delpo isn't that successful on grass..so I think and hope Rafa is going to safely cruise into QF! It'll be good for Rafa to face increasing more difficult opponents to build his form but it's only the start of wk2 so I hope he doesn't get pushed too far by Delpo. Looks like it might be Berdych in QF.

At this stage it looks like it might be another Rafa vs. Roger final..I'd love that but Roger is dangerously on excellent form which is lovely to see and I'd sure prefer the final to be Roger than Nole. Ok I should just focus on seeing rafa through to the final!!

Veronique
06-26-2011, 02:44 AM
TY so much for sharing your experience, Shawshank! What a treat!

I haven't seen much of Delpo this tournament yet. Thanks to espn360.com, I'm going to watch him tonight. My heart says Rafa is a better player on grass but I'm slightly worried. From here on, every match is going to be difficult. It can go other way but in Rafa I trust. I know he's going to give it all he's got.

klyne
06-26-2011, 05:20 AM
bonne chance to rafa!!

shawshank
06-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Good news: Rafa will skip the DC tie with USA ;) Source: www.tennis.com/ticker
I'm happy guys that you enjoyed my report from Wimbledon ;)

acionescu
06-26-2011, 06:38 PM
FFS :bigcry: :bigcry:

Metis
06-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Day 7: Monday 27 June

Gentlemen's Singles - 4th Round
Andy Murray (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpmc10.html)(GBR)[4]vs. Richard Gasquet (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpg628.html)(FRA)[17]

Ladies' Singles - 4th Round
Venus Williams (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/wta230220.html)(USA)[23]vs. Tsvetana Pironkova (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/wta311041.html)(BUL)[32]

Gentlemen's Singles - 4th Round
Rafael Nadal (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpn409.html)(ESP)[1]vs. Juan Martin Del Potro (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpd683.html)(ARG)[24]

Metis
06-26-2011, 07:28 PM
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2011-06-25/201106251309003464450.html

Rafa faces up to Del Potro challenge

by Sally Easton

Rafael Nadal is still on course to retain his Wimbledon singles crown and has reassured his fans that he is far more concerned about his next opponent than about the leg twinge he appeared to be feeling at one stage in his third round match against Gilles Muller.

The world No.1 was seen feeling his right leg towards the end of the first set of the match with Muller on Friday afternoon. :scared: But just as the second set was getting under way, the rain came, allowing the No.1 to rest up overnight. He duly returned to secure a 7-6(6), 7-6(5), 6-0 victory and can now rest up for a day before continuing his title challenge - against former US Open champion Juan Martin Del Potro on Monday.

After the match, he said: "I felt the leg was a little bit more tired than usual. I called the trainer for that. Today I'm still feeling it a little bit, but this is not limiting my game. I can play without problems." :unsure:

He was keen to explain that, despite him touching his knee at times, the problem was a muscular one rather than related to that potentially troublesome joint.

Rafa was certainly forced to flex his muscles to earn his victory against wildcard entrant Muller, a man ranked 91 places below him. Nadal paid tribute to his opponent's "fantastic" serving and added: "I was little bit lucky on the first set yesterday because I only won three points before the tie-break on the return, and I had two set points against. In the second set today, it was very similar [with] the set points again ... but you decide a set in two balls."

As if to confirm the fine line between winning and losing, some of the match stats looked finely cut. Muller had the faster first serve - 6mph on average faster; served more aces - 17 to Nadal's seven; played more winners - 36 to Nadal's 30. But, tellingly, Muller made 22 unforced errors to Nadal's three and had six times as many double faults against his name. And in the second set, Nadal played not a single unforced error. Such is a mark of a champion. :worship:

Another mark of a champion which goes down well around these parts is a little humility and, as always, Nadal delivered on this count. :lol: Even with a 17-match winning streak at Wimbledon under his belt (the Spaniard missed the 2009 Championships due to injury), the 10-time Grand Slam champion was reticent to take further progress for granted.

He said: "Every day is different. Every day anything can happen. Novak, Roger and Andy are playing well, but the matches are not easy to win - I had two set points yesterday against me; Andy had a tough match. So the matches are close all the time."

And Nadal certainly believes that he has a very big reason - 6ft 6in to be precise - not to look too far ahead. Next up he faces Juan Martin Del Potro who may only be 24th seed here but that is partly because the Argentine who won the US Open in 2009 is still on the comeback trail after a wrist injury.

Nadal said: "I'm not lucky to play against Del Potro in the round of 16. He's a very, very tough opponent, one of the best players of the world. When he's healthy, he's top five level normally, so it will be a very tough opponent for me. I have to be playing my best tennis to try to win."

star
06-27-2011, 12:26 AM
smz1CMaHZco

star
06-27-2011, 12:31 AM
I can't get this to work posted as a video, but it's a video of Nadal's warmup prior to the Muller match. It's a close up of his footwork. :drool:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NadalCuriosities2?blend=2&ob=5#p/u/0/XtrpHIJ-BWs

star
06-27-2011, 12:54 AM
Match Focus -- Jason Goodall talks about DPo and Nadal match.

PepVulZFOik

born_on_clay
06-27-2011, 07:07 AM
Good news: Rafa will skip the DC tie with USA ;) Source: www.tennis.com/ticker
I'm happy guys that you enjoyed my report from Wimbledon ;)

I hope it's not because of the recent "leg problem" :unsure:

Castafiore
06-27-2011, 08:51 AM
I'm guessing that his participation in this particular DC encounter so soon after Wimbledon will always depend on how far he goes in Wimbledon.

Metis
06-27-2011, 07:03 PM
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/interviews/2011-06-25/201106251309017721972.html

R. Nadal - third round

Saturday, 25 June 2011
R. Nadal bt. G. Muller 7 6, 7 6, 6 0

Q. You've normally played on Centre Court. How did you find Court No. 1? A little slippery today?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no. I played in both courts all tournaments here. Nothing strange to play in No. 1 Court for me.

Q. How did it feel different from Centre Court?
RAFAEL NADAL: The Centre Court is always probably more special, but both courts are really, really nice.
No, the game don't change.

Q. Did you hurt your leg last night just before the rain came?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, little bit. I felt the leg little bit more tired than usual. I called the trainer for that. Today I still feeling little bit.
But this is not limiting my game. I can play with that without problems.

Q. It's the muscle rather than the knee?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, yeah, no. It's not the knee. Nothing of the knee. Just little bit the muscle, yeah.

Q. Are there any ways in which being a lefty is an advantage on grass? Today you played a fellow lefty, but...
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I answer this question one thousand times. The advantage is because there is not a lot of leftys on the tour. Maybe that's the advantage.

The thing that everybody say, Well, you have your forehand against the backhand of the righty. But the righty have the forehand against the backhand of the lefty.

The outside slice, outside serve against the backhand, the righty have the same on the deuce.
Seriously, the only thing is probably you play less times against leftys than righties. That's the only advantage.

Q. What was the challenge today playing against a fellow lefty?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, the challenge is playing against a player who served fantastic during all the match, in my opinion. But I was little bit lucky the first set yesterday because I think I only won three points before the tiebreak on the return, and I had two set points against.

In the second set today, it was very similar match, no? The set points again. But you decide the set in two balls.
I think I played solid mentally, and in the tiebreak I serve all my points with the first serve. I didn't play no one point with the second. When I had the chance to return, I won the point. I think I played a good point. For that reason, I am in the third round.

The third set, two sets to love, I am able to play with less pressure. I started to return unbelievable and to play at very high level, I think.

Q. What is the challenge of facing Juan Martin Del Potro?
RAFAEL NADAL: Always is a big challenge play against him, no? He's a very, very tough opponent. One of the best players of the world. He had an important injury last year.

His ranking for sure is much better than what the ranking says today. His level is much better than what the ranking says today.

In my opinion, he's top five of level normally, if we talk about level. When he's healthy, he must be in the top five of the ranking normally, no? So will be a very tough opponent for me. I know that. I'm not lucky to play against Del Potro in the Round of 16. But that's what it is, and I have to be playing my best tennis to try to win.

Q. What specifically about his game is so difficult?
RAFAEL NADAL: Everything. I think he has a good serve, very good shots from the baseline. He's complete. I think he's a complete player.

Q. Today's top players have it all: size, power, defence to offence, great on all surfaces. You might not want to answer this. But fans love to imagine how the top players of this era would match up against the great players of the past, like Pete with his serve or Andre with his baseline.
RAFAEL NADAL: Andre wasn't that far. I played against Andre. And Federer played against Andre Agassi. So you can prove that. Nothing new.

I don't know. The champions are champions in his era, in his part of his history. I don't know. Is difficult to compare the moments of tennis 15 years ago between now because the game changes. Not for that reason says the players of today are better than the players of 15 years ago, or the players of 15 years ago are better than today.

The only thing that I can say is before, in my opinion, the top four players didn't play as solid as today is doing. I think all the tournaments, even if there isn't a Grand Slam, is 1000, 500 points tournaments, top players are always there in the finals, semifinals, playing in the final rounds. Probably in the past, didn't happen that a lot.
That's probably because can be two things: is the courts are a little bit slower than before, so the best have a little bit more chances to play the points, and finally if you have more time to play, the best player have better chances to win.

Second thing is because the players of today have big rivalry, and they know if they don't play at his best in every tournament, going to be very difficult to be in the top positions at the end of the season. For that reason we have to be very focused mentally every week.

Q. And the players do really well on all surfaces today?
RAFAEL NADAL: That's easy to explain. That's very easy to explain. Before, the ranking was completely different. You played in tournaments, and the best 18 results counts for the ranking.

Today is not like this. Today you have to play four Grand Slams, nine Masters 1000, four 500, and two 250s. You have to play well on all surfaces, because if not, it's zero points. Before, a lot of Spanish players didn't come here because they know if they came here didn't make a big difference on the points.

Today all the players have to come here and play well here. If not, you have zero points on your ranking.
So the way that the ranking goes today affects on the players are more complete and are able to play well on all surfaces because they have to do. Before, all the players played a lot more tournaments on clay. A lot of Spanish players played all the season on clay.

Today, even if everybody talks I am a clay court specialist, I play four or five tournaments for a year.

Q. A couple of champions John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors said recently the rivalries today are too nice, too friendly, like between you and Roger or Djokovic. What do you think of that?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think is better. I think is better like this than another way. For the example for the kids especially, the education is special, something very, very important, I think.
And if the kids who are watching the matches here, who are following us, will see each other fight every week, discuss every week between each other, probably in the future they are going to have the same. In my opinion, is not a good way the world have to work.

This is the game. What happen outside of the court doesn't affect what's going to happen inside the court. So we can be talking in the locker room before the match. That's not going to have effect what gonna happen in 10 minutes when we are on the court. That's my opinion. Probably the opinion of the past champions, they have more troubles between each other. Is different. But for me the rivalry is only inside the court. Doesn't affect the rest.

Q. Is this the strongest Wimbledon field you've faced, the strength of the top four? Can you remember a stronger Wimbledon field than this at the top?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think you never know what's going on. The tournaments start with one field of everybody and finish with a different result. So seems like the best players are playing well. I don't know if I gonna win next round. So probably the rest of the players thinks the same.

Every day is different. Every day anything can happen. Novak, Roger, Andy are playing well. But the matches are not easy to win. I had two set points yesterday against. Andy yesterday had a tough match. He won in the tiebreak, 7 5, tiebreak of the fourth.

So the matches are close all the time. Is difficult to predict something. We will see what's going on.

Q. The Spanish Under 21 start playing in the final tonight of the Euro Championships. Are you going to watch and do you have a message for them?
RAFAEL NADAL: I talk with the coach, with the second coach, two days ago. I send them the best of luck for the final.

What time is the final?

Q. I'm not sure. I think 8:00 our time.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, for sure I going to be at home watching the match. I didn't have the chance to watch two days ago or three days ago because I was playing. But I watch the previous days. Today going to be an interesting match. We have fantastic team, I think.

Q. Do you remember watching when Roger beat Sampras here, and what do you remember about it?
RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't remember that. Sorry. I didn't see that match.

Q. What players excite you in Under 21s?
RAFAEL NADAL: It's hard to say one. We have a very nice team. It's difficult to say just one.

Metis
06-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Nadal-Del Potro 7-6 3-6 7-6 6-4

1st -
2nd -
3rd - Getta
4th - JolanGago
QF -
SF - !VamosRafa!
F - cobalt60

JolanGago:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/6/15/82f8ad99-417c-423a-9b14-cf94e5a6ff42.jpg (http://cheezburger.com/Snake73/lolz/View/4871790848)

Ben.
06-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Thought he was done for after that MTO. The way he pulled up and called for the trainer on his own set point and then his play for the rest of the first set had me very very worried. Tankfully he seemed fine afterwards though and the two produced a very tense and entertaining match. DelPo proved he will be a threat at Wimbledon in the coming years, serving and volleying and moving much much better than I expected him to. Hope he gets back to the top 5 soon so Rafa can avoid getting him early again.

Some mental lapses and silly errors from Rafa at times, he was obviously a bit rattled but Fish next, hopefully that is a stress free encounter.

born_on_clay
06-27-2011, 09:26 PM
:unsure: about his leg / feet / heel ? :unsure:

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/369/w11r4.jpg

vn01
06-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Rafa was tested against delpo, but he overcame the challenge. 16 errors anf 61 winners. amazing stats! :yeah:

VAMOS!

star
06-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Good one for Jolan, Metis! :lol: :yeah:

Article from Eurosport/Reuters

Tennis-Nadal takes the pain to beat Del Potro

Mon, 27 Jun 21:33:00 2011

Defending champion and top seed Rafa Nadal showed all his fighting spirit and irrepressible will to win when he overcame a painful foot injury and a testing examination from Juan Martin Del Potro to advance to the Wimbledon quarter-finals on Monday.
The Spaniard looked in danger of having to withdraw after receiving lengthy treatment at the end of the first set but gritted his teeth to take the subsequent tiebreak en route to a battling 7-6 3-6 7-6 6-4 victory.
"I thought I'd have to retire," Nadal said of the problem that needed 10 minutes of on-court attention.
"I felt something very strange. I don't know what the problem is yet, it seems like it's in the bone, in the foot.
"The tape changed probably the position of the foot and the distribution of the power so I was able to continue with a bit of pain."
The injury was just a talking point from one of the best matches of the tournament as Del Potro proved a dangerous floater as he continues his recovery and climb back up the rankings following wrist surgery.
There was nothing between the two players in a first set littered with crunching forehands but things looked worrying for Nadal before the tiebreak when he needed lengthy treatment for the injury.
"It's near the bone, it's really painful," he told the physio on court.
He eventually returned to the fray but looked tentative as Del Potro quickly led 3-0 with a mini-break. However, Nadal, channelling all his anger and frustration into his racket head, crashed his way back to lead 4-3.
Del Potro hit back with two mini-breaks but Nadal showed all his fighting qualities to come back again and took the tiebreak 8-6 when Del Potro double-faulted.
The Argentine, aiming for his first grand slam quarter-final since his 2009 U.S. Open victory, continued to look the more consistent server but even he was reduced to clapping his opponent after one miraculous Nadal recovery shot when the Spaniard faced break point.
Del Potro did break in the eighth game, though, and took the set after getting the better of an exchange of drop shots that had the Centre Court crowd drooling.
In the third set it was Del Potro's turn to need treatment after he hurt his left thigh when he slipped on the base line but he too recovered fully to take the set to another tiebreak, only for Nadal to take it.
It was captivating stuff, both players unloading hugely powerful groundstrokes and finding seemingly impossible angles, but the match turned decisively Nadal's way when he broke for the first time in the fifth game of the fourth set.
The Spaniard then showed steely nerve to hold serve in the next game after trailing 0-30 and eventually completed victory in almost four memorable hours.
In the last eight, he faces American Mardy Fish who he has beaten in all five previous meetings.

Rafaaah
06-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Well done to Delpo for a great run and being able to test Rafa..it was a shame they had to meet in R4 cos it could have been QF or even a SF quality match!!
It'll be great to see Delpo back at no.4 position (his highest) as he has proved that he can test Rafa and Nole in slams.

Anyway, back to Rafa..VAMOS! Our man is safely through!!
I missed the first set so I didn't see the mto moment but like everyone else...I'm so worried! A foot injury is not good but I suppose it is probably better than a knee or ankle injury right? I wonder if the problem is more serious and if Rafa will just say it's not too bad so to not let his opponent feel they have an edge.
Hopefully the match against Mardy will be ok, a simple one fr him. He needs an easy match before facing Murray but vamos Feli...it would be fantastic to see a Rafa vs. Feli SF! what are the odds of that!? Fingers crossed!!

Another thing, why was Rafa unusually agitated today..he seems very angry with himself and easily frustrated; I wonder if it was the foot or maybe just a bad night sleep?!

cobalt60
06-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Congrats Rafa fans!

star
06-27-2011, 11:37 PM
Congrats Rafa fans!

:hug: :hug: I still remember the days when you were one. :hug:

cobalt60
06-27-2011, 11:41 PM
:hug: :hug: I still remember the days when you were one. :hug:

I have always liked him but I have never put him high on my list ever so please don't remember otherwise. I respect the fact that he has grown and shown how much he can learn how to play on all surfaces. He stepped up to the plate and that is a good quality. Plus he was playing one of my favs today;) If you prefer I won't bother to stop by.

star
06-28-2011, 12:17 AM
I have always liked him but I have never put him high on my list ever so please don't remember otherwise. I respect the fact that he has grown and shown how much he can learn how to play on all surfaces. He stepped up to the plate and that is a good quality. Plus he was playing one of my favs today;) If you prefer I won't bother to stop by.

:confused: I love it when you stop by. I remembered you as really liking Rafa at one time, and then not liking him so much. Apparently, I was wrong. It's one of the many mistakes I made. Sorry if you thought I was being offensive.

cobalt60
06-28-2011, 12:26 AM
Sorry Star- did not take offense. I am a bit "off" today. Lots going on in my real life. I think of MTF as my favorite mistake eh escape :p

star
06-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Sorry Star- did not take offense. I am a bit "off" today. Lots going on in my real life. I think of MTF as my favorite mistake eh escape :p

:hug: No worries.

Hope things are better tomorrow.

MariaV
06-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Hey Dr Sue, drop by any time! :hatoff:
Oh silly me cannot even remember the names of the posters not to mention their preferences or anything. :o

MariaV
06-28-2011, 07:50 AM
Another thing, why was Rafa unusually agitated today..he seems very angry with himself and easily frustrated; I wonder if it was the foot or maybe just a bad night sleep?!

He should be agitated and angry with himself, getting silly injury again. :(

Foxy
06-28-2011, 08:40 AM
I don't think Fish is an easy match. He is a better server and a better volleyer than Del Potro. Fish is also a better mover and a better grass court player than both Berdych and Del Potro.
I kind of think Berdych would have been an easier opponent. But let's see.

JolánGagó
06-28-2011, 09:39 AM
JolanGago:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/6/15/82f8ad99-417c-423a-9b14-cf94e5a6ff42.jpg (http://cheezburger.com/Snake73/lolz/View/4871790848)

:lol:

:woohoo: :woohoo:

Foxy
06-28-2011, 11:58 AM
http://eurosport.yahoo.com/28062011/58/wimbledon-nadal-training-successful-scan.html

No serious damage! Good news for millions of Rafa fans! Bamos, rip fish apart!

MariaV
06-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Yeah, hopefully he can beat Fish, and reaching semis is fine, it wouldn't be too bad losing to Murray in the semis. Murray in the final would be interesting.

star
06-28-2011, 05:15 PM
LInk to interview video

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/interactive/video/index.html

born_on_clay
06-28-2011, 05:38 PM
great to hear Rafa's feet is fine :yeah:

Metis
06-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Day 9: Wednesday 29 June

No. 1 Court 13:00

Gentlemen's Singles - Quarterfinals
Bernard Tomic (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpta46.html)(AUS)vs. Novak Djokovic (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpd643.html)(SRB)[2]

Gentlemen's Singles - Quarterfinals
Rafael Nadal (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpn409.html)(ESP)[1]vs. Mardy Fish (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpf339.html)(USA)[10]

star
06-28-2011, 06:14 PM
No more center court for Rafa. :lol:

Foxy
06-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Pathetic schedule from the organizers. Not only did he end on Court 1 but he is 2nd as well????? Are these guys stupid or what?

MariaV
06-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Pathetic schedule from the organizers. Not only did he end on Court 1 but he is 2nd as well????? Are these guys stupid or what?

They're hoping he'll make a quick work of Fish. ;)
And considering the 'career-threatening injury' they maybe wanted to give him more time to recover. ;) :o

Metis
06-28-2011, 08:01 PM
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/interviews/2011-06-27/201106281309274331151.html

R. Nadal - fourth round
Monday, 27 June 2011

R. Nadal bt. J. Del Potro 7 6, 3 6, 7 6, 6 4

Q. How is your injury?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know yet. I have to check. I have to go to do an MRI. I don't know right now.

I felt really bad during I felt that the half of the first set. With the 6 5, I felt terrible, no? I felt that I broked my foot at that moment.

The point with the deuce, that point give me the set point, in that point I felt terrible, no?

I asked for the trainer at that moment when the game was done. I seriously didn't know at that moment the match, I didn't know that if I will have the chance to continue playing.

Q. Can you tell us how it happened or what happened?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know before because I started to feel little bit pain there during the first set. I said before, half of the set. But with the 6 5, I pushed hard with the forehand defending shot and crossed. I felt something that like crushed there in the back of the foot outside.

So I didn't know what was going on then.

Q. Did the pain stay with you for the rest of the match?
RAFAEL NADAL: The pain stay with me for the next points, for sure, and for all the match stays with me. But with the tape, I think we changed a little bit the direction of the support, and probably didn't hurt me much.

But to run to my forehand was very, very tough for me. I felt pain because I cannot push with the foot to defend my forehand. To go against my backhand wasn't a problem. I can run fast there. I can run fast in front of me. The biggest problem is when I had to defend my forehand.

Q. Is it the same injury you had in the last match?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no.

Q. Different?
RAFAEL NADAL: Completely different.

Q. How worried are you about Wednesday?
RAFAEL NADAL: I am happy today I am through. I thought that I never gonna win this match when it happened with the 6 5. I am very happy to be through, winning against one of the best players of the world. I think was a fantastic match. Was a very good level of tennis tonight.

And I'm worried, for sure. I'm going to do the MRI. We'll see what's going on. Tomorrow we will see. I cannot predict the future.

Q. Will you have the scan tonight or tomorrow?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know yet. I gonna check. I am checking with the doctors, with the physios. They are trying. We are trying our best to do it as fast as possible.

Q. Was part of the problem that you couldn't take any more tablets because you were full of tablets for the previous injury?
RAFAEL NADAL: Sorry?

Q. Had you taken medication?
RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't.

Q. Before the match for your other injury?
RAFAEL NADAL: I did, yeah.

Q. And you couldn't take any more during the match?
RAFAEL NADAL: I can, but with that pain I thought that's not gonna be the solution, so I didn't.
Some question about the match?

Q. Did you think the time violation warning was stupid?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think is always the same umpire to do this. So I don't know if is stupid or not. But the match today was quick. Wasn't this kind of matches that you have slow between points, you have very, very long points, and you are tired and you rest a lot between points. Wasn't my feeling.

I came here 100 times, and I said when the umpire give me time violation, I say, Well, if I was slow is my fault; it's not the fault of the umpire. I am the first one to recognize my faults when I do.

Happened in Roland Garros I think few weeks ago. Somebody give me a time violation. I say, Okay, yes, that's true, I was slow.

Was not my feeling today.

Q. Right after Wimbledon there's the huge Davis Cup competition. Do you think it is a problem having Davis Cup right after a Grand Slam? And why won't you be playing?
RAFAEL NADAL: The problem is the ITF, my opinion. They don't want to change nothing. They are never able to change nothing on the calendar, nothing in the format of the Davis Cup competition. And some thing they are doing bad, because the best player of the world, a lot of times we are not able to play.

So that's happen, they have to think what's going on, no? But they don't think nothing. They keep winning his money and that's it.

For me is hard not go to United States and play for my country. For somebody can think, Well, he only is think about himself. He is playing his own things. Doesn't matter about the Davis Cup. It's not my case.

I always try to play Davis Cup. For me is a really bad new not to be in USA defending my country. I love defend my country. But, seriously, ITF is not helping us nothing on that, and for me is an obligation to not go there.

I cannot be in every place. I cannot be competitive every week of the year. My body needs to rest. You know, I am here. Day before I had little bit pain here. Today I had pain on the foot. Few days ago the knee. So, you know, I played a lot of matches the last six months, especially last five months, four months. Is too much.

Seriously, is not possible be No. 1 or No. 2 playing Davis Cup every tie, be in all the places, be competitive in all the tournaments. Is not possible. I am not 18 anymore. I am 25. I am playing a lot of matches. I am lucky because I won a lot of matches, so for that reason I am playing that match, not because I am playing more tournaments than usual.

So for that reason I cannot be there. For me is tough. But for the ITF, doesn't matter.

Q. Juan Martin for the first time this year he was in the second week in Wimbledon. Some people said his grass court game wasn't very good. You really understood what a threat he was. Can you describe his game?
RAFAEL NADAL: Always is the same history. The same was with me two years ago when I lost in 2005 in second round against Muller. My game is not ready for grass.

After four years I played two finals, two champions. Here I am in quarterfinals.

He is young. He has an unbelievable potential. With this serve, he is always very competitive in these courts. And for sure the No. 4, 5 of the world winning Grand Slam titles, he's one of the favorites to win here. Why not? He has very good serve, very good shots from the baseline, and his volley looks good.

I don't see no one reason to think he not gonna play really well here.

Q. How much chance have you had to look ahead? Have you looked at the game of Mardy Fish very much?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, he's playing fantastic. I saw him a few not today. I was playing today, but I saw him a little bit against Robin Haase. He's playing at a very, very high level. He's very dangerous player, so I will try my best to be very competitive on Wednesday.

I need be at my hundred percent. If not, gonna be impossible against him. So I have to recover.

Q. How convinced are you you'll be fit for Wednesday?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I told before, I cannot predict the future. I say today I had the pain. I felt something is a fresh injury. Let's see what's going on and let's see how the MRI looks.

And after, let's see if we have the chance to recover for Wednesday. I don't know.

Metis
06-28-2011, 09:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/wimbledon11/news/story?id=6711612

Rafael Nadal expecting to play

WIMBLEDON, England -- Defending champion Rafael Nadal (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=261) completed an hour-long practice session Tuesday, hours after announcing he would play in the Wimbledon quarterfinals against Mardy Fish (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=358).

"He will be 100 percent. Everything's fine," said Toni Nadal, his coach and uncle.

Nadal, a two-time champion at the All England Club, hurt his left foot in the first set of Monday's fourth-round win over Juan Martin del Potro (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=284). He twice called for a trainer during the set but still managed to win 7-6 (6), 3-6, 7-6 (4), 6-4.

After the match, he went to a London hospital for an MRI exam, but the results were negative.

Nadal arrived for practice more than an hour later than scheduled Tuesday afternoon, but he beat the showers and hit for 1 hour, 7 minutes with 16-year-old British junior Evan Hoyt.

Nadal did not move around the court much, but his uncle said that was because of the slippery conditions, not the injury.

"We couldn't do much today because the court was quite damp and it was dangerous, but everything's fine," Toni Nadal said. "For tomorrow, there will be no problem."

Ignacio Munoz, a doctor with the Spanish Tennis Federation, said the MRI scan had showed some swelling around the peroneal tendon in his ankle but "no serious injury in the bone or the ligaments." He said there was no risk in Nadal playing on Wednesday.

Munoz said Nadal had been particularly worried during Monday's match because he hurt the same ankle several years earlier.

"He was afraid it could be something similar so he was quite afraid during the match," Munoz said. "That's the reason we did an MRI after the match."

Nadal said after his win over del Potro that he felt something "crush" in his left foot, making him worry that it might be broken. He said he even contemplated retiring from the match.

Nadal will play Fish in the second quarterfinal match on Court 1 on Wednesday. Toni said it was the worst possible scheduling for Nadal because of possible rain delays. :(

"It's fine to play on Court 1," Toni Nadal said. "It's logical that (Andy) Murray plays on Centre. What I'm saying is I would prefer the first match probably, if I could choose, but no problem."

Nadal is 30-2 at Wimbledon since the start of the 2006 tournament. He lost to Roger Federer (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=425) that year and the next in the final but then beat the Swiss in the 2008 championship match. Nadal was unable to defend his title in 2009 because of injury, but he won again in 2010.

The top-ranked Spaniard also won his sixth French Open title this month, equaling Bjorn Borg's record. Overall, Nadal has won 10 major titles, including one at the Australian Open and one at the U.S. Open.

Metis
06-28-2011, 09:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/wimbledon11/news/story?id=6711612

Rafael Nadal expecting to play

WIMBLEDON, England -- Defending champion Rafael Nadal (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=261) completed an hour-long practice session Tuesday, hours after announcing he would play in the Wimbledon quarterfinals against Mardy Fish (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=358).

"He will be 100 percent. Everything's fine," said Toni Nadal, his coach and uncle.

Nadal, a two-time champion at the All England Club, hurt his left foot in the first set of Monday's fourth-round win over Juan Martin del Potro (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=284). He twice called for a trainer during the set but still managed to win 7-6 (6), 3-6, 7-6 (4), 6-4.

After the match, he went to a London hospital for an MRI exam, but the results were negative.

Nadal arrived for practice more than an hour later than scheduled Tuesday afternoon, but he beat the showers and hit for 1 hour, 7 minutes with 16-year-old British junior Evan Hoyt.

Nadal did not move around the court much, but his uncle said that was because of the slippery conditions, not the injury.

"We couldn't do much today because the court was quite damp and it was dangerous, but everything's fine," Toni Nadal said. "For tomorrow, there will be no problem."

Ignacio Munoz, a doctor with the Spanish Tennis Federation, said the MRI scan had showed some swelling around the peroneal tendon in his ankle but "no serious injury in the bone or the ligaments." He said there was no risk in Nadal playing on Wednesday.

Munoz said Nadal had been particularly worried during Monday's match because he hurt the same ankle several years earlier.

"He was afraid it could be something similar so he was quite afraid during the match," Munoz said. "That's the reason we did an MRI after the match."

Nadal said after his win over del Potro that he felt something "crush" in his left foot, making him worry that it might be broken. He said he even contemplated retiring from the match.

Nadal will play Fish in the second quarterfinal match on Court 1 on Wednesday. Toni said it was the worst possible scheduling for Nadal because of possible rain delays. :(

"It's fine to play on Court 1," Toni Nadal said. "It's logical that (Andy) Murray plays on Centre. What I'm saying is I would prefer the first match probably, if I could choose, but no problem."

Nadal is 30-2 at Wimbledon since the start of the 2006 tournament. He lost to Roger Federer (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=425) that year and the next in the final but then beat the Swiss in the 2008 championship match. Nadal was unable to defend his title in 2009 because of injury, but he won again in 2010.

The top-ranked Spaniard also won his sixth French Open title this month, equaling Bjorn Borg's record. Overall, Nadal has won 10 major titles, including one at the Australian Open and one at the U.S. Open.

star
06-29-2011, 01:27 AM
Interview.

R. Nadal bt. J. Del Potro 7 6, 3 6, 7 6, 6 4

Q. How is your injury?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know yet. I have to check. I have to go to do an MRI. I don't know right now.

I felt really bad during I felt that the half of the first set. With the 6 5, I felt terrible, no? I felt that I broked my foot at that moment.

The point with the deuce, that point give me the set point, in that point I felt terrible, no? :hug: :hug:

I asked for the trainer at that moment when the game was done. I seriously didn't know at that moment the match, I didn't know that if I will have the chance to continue playing.

Q. Can you tell us how it happened or what happened?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know before because I started to feel little bit pain there during the first set. I said before, half of the set. But with the 6 5, I pushed hard with the forehand defending shot and crossed. I felt something that like crushed there in the back of the foot outside.

So I didn't know what was going on then.

Q. Did the pain stay with you for the rest of the match?

RAFAEL NADAL: The pain stay with me for the next points, for sure, and for all the match stays with me. But with the tape, I think we changed a little bit the direction of the support, and probably didn't hurt me much.

But to run to my forehand was very, very tough for me. I felt pain because I cannot push with the foot to defend my forehand. To go against my backhand wasn't a problem. I can run fast there. I can run fast in front of me. The biggest problem is when I had to defend my forehand.

Q. Is it the same injury you had in the last match?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no.

Q. Different?

RAFAEL NADAL: Completely different.

Q. How worried are you about Wednesday?

RAFAEL NADAL: I am happy today I am through. I thought that I never gonna win this match when it happened with the 6 5. I am very happy to be through, winning against one of the best players of the world. I think was a fantastic match. Was a very good level of tennis tonight.

And I'm worried, for sure. I'm going to do the MRI. We'll see what's going on. Tomorrow we will see. I cannot predict the future.

Q. Will you have the scan tonight or tomorrow?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know yet. I gonna check. I am checking with the doctors, with the physios. They are trying. We are trying our best to do it as fast as possible.

Q. Was part of the problem that you couldn't take any more tablets because you were full of tablets for the previous injury?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sorry?

Q. Had you taken medication?

RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't.

Q. Before the match for your other injury?

RAFAEL NADAL: I did, yeah.

Q. And you couldn't take any more during the match?

RAFAEL NADAL: I can, but with that pain I thought that's not gonna be the solution, so I didn't.

Some question about the match? :lol:

Q. Did you think the time violation warning was stupid?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think is always the same umpire to do this. So I don't know if is stupid or not. But the match today was quick. Wasn't this kind of matches that you have slow between points, you have very, very long points, and you are tired and you rest a lot between points. Wasn't my feeling.

I came here 100 times, and I said when the umpire give me time violation, I say, Well, if I was slow is my fault; it's not the fault of the umpire. I am the first one to recognize my faults when I do.

Happened in Roland Garros I think few weeks ago. Somebody give me a time violation. I say, Okay, yes, that's true, I was slow.

Was not my feeling today.

Q. Right after Wimbledon there's the huge Davis Cup competition. Do you think it is a problem having Davis Cup right after a Grand Slam? And why won't you be playing?

RAFAEL NADAL: The problem is the ITF, my opinion. They don't want to change nothing. They are never able to change nothing on the calendar, nothing in the format of the Davis Cup competition. And some thing they are doing bad, because the best player of the world, a lot of times we are not able to play.

So that's happen, they have to think what's going on, no? But they don't think nothing. They keep winning his money and that's it. :eek:

For me is hard not go to United States and play for my country. For somebody can think, Well, he only is think about himself. He is playing his own things. Doesn't matter about the Davis Cup. It's not my case.

I always try to play Davis Cup. For me is a really bad new not to be in USA defending my country. I love defend my country. But, seriously, ITF is not helping us nothing on that, and for me is an obligation to not go there.

I cannot be in every place. I cannot be competitive every week of the year. My body needs to rest. You know, I am here. Day before I had little bit pain here. Today I had pain on the foot. Few days ago the knee. So, you know, I played a lot of matches the last six months, especially last five months, four months. Is too much. :hug:

Seriously, is not possible be No. 1 or No. 2 playing Davis Cup every tie, be in all the places, be competitive in all the tournaments. Is not possible. I am not 18 anymore. I am 25. I am playing a lot of matches. I am lucky because I won a lot of matches, so for that reason I am playing that match, not because I am playing more tournaments than usual.

So for that reason I cannot be there. For me is tough. But for the ITF, doesn't matter.

Q. Juan Martin for the first time this year he was in the second week in Wimbledon. Some people said his grass court game wasn't very good. You really understood what a threat he was. Can you describe his game?

RAFAEL NADAL: Always is the same history. The same was with me two years ago when I lost in 2005 in second round against Muller. My game is not ready for grass.

After four years I played two finals, two champions. Here I am in quarterfinals.

He is young. He has an unbelievable potential. With this serve, he is always very competitive in these courts. And for sure the No. 4, 5 of the world winning Grand Slam titles, he's one of the favorites to win here. Why not? He has very good serve, very good shots from the baseline, and his volley looks good.

I don't see no one reason to think he not gonna play really well here.

Q. How much chance have you had to look ahead? Have you looked at the game of Mardy Fish very much?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, he's playing fantastic. I saw him a few not today. I was playing today, but I saw him a little bit against Robin Haase. He's playing at a very, very high level. He's very dangerous player, so I will try my best to be very competitive on Wednesday.

I need be at my hundred percent. If not, gonna be impossible against him. So I have to recover.

Q. How convinced are you you'll be fit for Wednesday?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I told before, I cannot predict the future. I say today I had the pain. I felt something is a fresh injury. Let's see what's going on and let's see how the MRI looks.

And after, let's see if we have the chance to recover for Wednesday. I don't know.

star
06-29-2011, 01:43 AM
Match Focus link

star
06-29-2011, 01:50 AM
Article from Reuters. It's cute about Nadal's practice partner -- a 16 yr old British Junior player.

Reuters) - Rafa Nadal came through a training session on a slippery Wimbledon practice court unscathed on Tuesday with his coach saying the world number one will have shaken off a foot injury in time for his quarter-final against Mardy Fish.

Nadal hurt his left foot toward the end of the first set of Monday's four-set victory over Juan Martin Del Potro and needed almost 10 minutes of courtside treatment from a physio and doctor.

A scan earlier on Tuesday revealed no major damage.

"If the world didn't sleep easy because Rafa has a problem it would be the most crazy thing ever," joked the Spaniard's coach and uncle Toni Nadal after the defending champion's hitting session with British junior Evan Hoyt.

"A guy said to me once 'We're worried about Rafa'. I said 'Don't worry about him, worry about yourself'.

"Yesterday he had a problem. Things don't disappear magically but tomorrow he'll be in a condition to play."

Asked if he thought his charge would be at his usual full fitness for Wednesday's match, a daunting proposition for American number one Fish, uncle Nadal was not giving anything away.

"100 percent. What do you want me to say? If he was at 50 percent I'd still say he was at 100," he told reporters with a smile.

"He couldn't move a lot because the court was slippery so it was dangerous, but all is well."

POSITIVE SIGNS

Nadal said after his grueling match with Del Potro that he thought he would "have to retire" and that he had broken his foot but the signs were all positive from his camp.

"There were no bone or ligament injuries. We think he will be alright tomorrow," Spanish Tennis Federation official Ignago Munoz told reporters. "It will be no risk."

Nadal reserved the occasional grimace for poor shots during his session under murky grey skies but had no problems moving around the court as 1987 champion Pat Cash and multiple doubles winners Mark Woodforde and Todd Woodbridge looked on.

The hoards of fans crammed up against the green fence cheered as Nadal grinned in their direction but the happiest person in the complex was undoubtedly Hoyt.

"He's my idol," said the starstruck 16-year-old from Wales, who had Nadal's pre-printed autograph on his bag.

"My sister got his autograph on a ball this week," he added before revealing the words of encouragement from the 10-times grand slam champion.

"He said: 'In two years you have to be in the main draw of Wimbledon'."

MariaV
06-29-2011, 09:37 AM
:awww:
But has tio Toni really no idea how crazy fangirls are going? :o :lol:

vn01
06-29-2011, 07:32 PM
decent stuff from Rafa. Now he'll face Murray in the semis. VAMOS CHAMP!!! :rocker2:

federina OUT :lol:

Ben.
06-29-2011, 07:51 PM
A bit sloppy at times, should have won in straights for a start but it was good enough. I hope Murray doesn't serve too well on Friday because Rafa has been returning poorly.

I thought Fed was a lock for the final but with Tsonga producing that type of performance this tournament is a little bit more open now.

MariaV
06-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Phew. Beat Fish 6-3 6-3 5-7 6-4. Semifinal is a decent result. :hug: :hug: :hug:

MariaV
06-29-2011, 07:54 PM
A bit sloppy at times, should have won in straights for a start but it was good enough. I hope Murray doesn't serve too well on Friday because Rafa has been returning poorly.

I thought Fed was a lock for the final but with Tsonga producing that type of performance this tournament is a little bit more open now.

Naah, Tsonga will crumble vs Djokovic. Nole most likey to win this year.

Ben.
06-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Naah, Tsonga will crumble vs Djokovic. Nole most likey to win this year.

I'm not so sure. Tsonga leads the H2H 5-2 and Djokovic has looked average against Baggy and Tomic, playing passive and making errors. Sure Djokovic is the favourite but if Tsonga continues to serve like today then he has a chance.

star
06-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Interview

R. Nadal bt. M. Fish 6 3, 6 3, 5 7, 6 4

Q. It looked like your foot was fine. Can you talk about how that felt today.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, very happy to be in semi-finals, first thing. My foot is not fine. But, you know, we are in quarter-finals of Wimbledon. Is an emergency, so I had to play. So we decided to sleep a little bit the zone of the foot to play the rest of the tournament, and that's what I gonna do.

For me is the last tournament in one month, or in one month and a half, so I have to try my best. Is always for me a dream play here in Wimbledon. I'm in quarterfinals and I had to do, and I gonna do for semi-finals, too.

Q. It's hurting you?

RAFAEL NADAL: When you sleep the foot you don't feel nothing. :hug: :hug: [for making "sleep" a verb :worship: ]

Q. During the match.

RAFAEL NADAL: I told you. When you sleep the foot before the match, the anaesthetic is for five hours, so you don't feel nothing.

Q. You said after Del Potro that you were worried. Is that still the case now, that you are worried about your foot holding up for the rest of the tournament?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I'm not worried about my foot. I went to the hospital. I did the MRI. I did the echo here, the ultrasound here. We didn't see nothing real important. If you have something real important you have to go out of the tournament.

I don't have nothing really important. I have pain on the foot. I cannot run in perfect conditions without sleep the foot. :kiss: But with the I don't know how exactly to say in English. Is strange for me. The anaesthetic there I don't feel nothing, I don't feel the pain.

Q. Now that you're not worried about the injury, you played freely today for the most part.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah.

Q. Moving on through the tournament, you can play your game without the worry?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. I'm not worried about nothing now because I know what's going on. I know with that I don't gonna have pain. The previous match I don't know if I really had you know, I had a really difficult injury for me to pass in 2004 in the foot in Estoril. :hug: :hug: [people forget about this}

Is completely different place. Is different history. But I felt something similar during the match of Del Potro. For that reason I was really scared.

But after when I did all the test and the test was positive for me, I am not scared because I know I have to try my best for the rest of the tournament. That's what I gonna do. And I'm ready to play.

Q. So today you feel like you played pretty well overall, very good at times?

RAFAEL NADAL: I play really well the first two sets. Probably I lost a little bit of intensity in the third. Playing in this kind of surface, especially here on grass, if you lost a little bit the intensity, you play less aggressive, is always very difficult, no?

And he did well. He started to play little bit more aggressive, and I was in trouble on the third, the beginning of the fourth, too, a little bit.

Q. What were your reactions to the Federer loss today?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I am sorry for him. He was playing really good tennis in Roland Garros three weeks ago, four weeks ago, and during this tournament I saw him play really, really well.

Today he was winning against a difficult opponent two sets to love, and my opinion playing very good tennis. I left. I didn't see the match. But you know how difficult is this surface, how difficult is everything. Because when you play against one player like Tsonga that he has this fantastic serve, you are under pressure all the time even if you are winning two sets to love, because you have a break, you have few mistakes with your serve, he has a break, probably he has the set. And that's every time.

So you play under pressure all the match. I cannot talk a lot more about the match because I didn't see the rest. I only saw the first two sets. So for him I think he deserved to be there.

Q. Your recent matches with Andy have been semi-finals and you have won them. What mental edge does that give you going into this one?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, every match is completely different. Every year is a different situation. Last year I beat him here in the semi-finals, but was very close match, even if was in straight sets. Second set he had a set point with his serve.

So, you know, the match will be very difficult for me. I think he's playing at very, very high level. We'll see what's going on. For me the last few months of Andy was very, very good. We will see what's going on in that semi-finals. Will be a big challenge for me, and I gonna try my best.

For sure I always enjoy playing these kind of matches. For me be in semi-finals is a very positive result, so very happy for that. Right now everything is to win. I have to enjoy the moment, play aggressive. Only like this I going to have any chance to be in the final.

Q. Is Andy a better player this year than he was at this time last year?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know.

Q. Both your Wimbledon matches you've won in straight sets against Andy. Is that a surprise? What difficult challenge will you expect from Andy?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think I played two fantastic matches against Andy. 2008 probably was a different situation because Andy started to play really well that year, but especially after that.

I think after that was the year he started winning in Cincinnati, after he won in Madrid. But before that he was there. Very, very good player for sure.

But last year was a real match. He was in the top conditions, the same conditions than me. Probably this year he has a little bit more experience. He's playing fine. He's playing very well, having final in Australia, semi-finals in Roland Garros, now semi-finals another time here.

So he's having a very successful season, in my opinion. So he's with big confidence. Anyway, the previous matches doesn't affect the match of Friday.

Q. You mentioned the two of you have been able to become good friends off the court. I wonder how often you saw him off the court and what kind of things you did together?

RAFAEL NADAL: Normally we play PlayStation outside the court when we are in the same hotels in the tournament. Now he really don't want to play more. He lost the last few times (smiling). Well, no, seriously. Well, seriously, that's true. He lost almost every time. He played with his friend Danny against Monaco and me, and we won. :banana:

Q. Did you meet the golfer Rory McIlroy when he was here?

RAFAEL NADAL: I met him yesterday. I talked with him half an hour in the locker room.

Q. Did you get invited to play golf with him?

RAFAEL NADAL: I hope so in the future. Any day when our agendas will be in the same moment free. So I would love to play golf with him. For me is an honour know him, and for sure it will be a dream for me play golf with him any day.

Q. Mardy Fish did not have a fantastic serving day today. Could you speak about what he did that was a challenge for you. Talk about how you thought Mardy played.

RAFAEL NADAL: I think Mardy improved his level, especially the last few years. And last year I think he had a fantastic season.

I have a question, sorry. In Cincinnati he played the final last year or he played the semifinal?

Q. The final.

RAFAEL NADAL: Final against Roger, no?

Q. Yes.

RAFAEL NADAL: So he's doing well. I think he's more solid player than few years ago, for sure. He's playing much better with the forehand than before. Because always he had a very good backhand and very good serve and good volley, but the forehand, in my opinion, he's hitting much better the forehand than before. And probably his movements are better than before.

So I think the mental part is important. Seriously, in the past he probably was little bit more irregular player. Now he's able to play more focus most of the time. In my opinion, his level in general improved a lot for that reason. I am always in trouble playing against him. I think everybody is in trouble playing against Mardy. He's a very good player.

Q. 2004 Estoril, before you became a big, big player, could you talk about what the foot injury was there.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I had to stop for three months and a half.

Q. What was the foot injury?

RAFAEL NADAL: I had a stress fracture.

Q. So that's what it felt like two days ago?

RAFAEL NADAL: It's not the same place. I told you. [OMG, they do NOT listen :rolleyes: ] Is a completely different place. I felt something similar, but I am lucky that is nothing like this.

Metis
06-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Day 11: Friday 1 July

Gentlemen's Singles - Semifinals
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpt786.html)(FRA)[12]vs. Novak Djokovic (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpd643.html)(SRB)[2]

Gentlemen's Singles - Semifinals
Rafael Nadal (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpn409.html)(ESP)[1]vs. Andy Murray (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpmc10.html)(GBR)[4]

Ladies' Doubles - Semifinals
Sabine Lisicki (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/wta312520.html)(GER)/Samantha Stosur (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/wta190787.html)(AUS)vs. Marina Erakovic (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/wta312086.html)(NZL)/Tamarine Tanasugarn (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/wta200137.html)(THA)

Ben.
07-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Rafa into his 5th final :worship:

Unfortunately Djokovic was back to his retrieving best today, getting every ball back and making few errors. Not feeling too confident about the final. Atleast Rafa has a backhand this time, unlike their two meeting on clay where it was erratic at best. He needs to serve at his best, better than today but aside from that it is tough to say. Djokovic's defence has frustrated him this year and has led to Rafa going for low percentage shots and Djokovic has been winning most of the long rallies.

vn01
07-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Into the FINAL!!! VAMOS RAFA! :worship:

Foxy
07-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Vamoooooos. Rafa, you rock!!! I was soooooooo scared about this match against Murray. It is strange I feel more relaxed now for the final against Djokovic. :shrug:

born_on_clay
07-01-2011, 10:10 PM
quaters:
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6093/fishow.jpg

semis:
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7687/murrayc.jpg

Take that crown again Rafa !

star
07-02-2011, 12:01 AM
From Steve Tignor

The Mail, with skeptical articles from Ivan Speck and even more skeptical tweets from its head tennis writer, Mike Dickson, has been the most forthright of the papers in questioning Rafael Nadal’s injury timeout against Juan Martin del Potro. A third writer continues the story today, with a piece entitled, “Rafa doesn’t cheat, insist Team Nadal.”

“Insist” is an interesting word in these cases; it makes it sound as if the camp in question volunteered a defense, rather than merely answered a question about it. However it came about, the paper quotes Uncle Toni: “People can say what they want, but they are mistaken.”

I bring this up primarily because, in an interview with Nadal yesterday, the BBC showed the shot where Nadal first thought he was hurt. It was, as I remembered, a curling forehand winner. What I hadn’t realized was that it got Nadal to set point. It’s one thing to be skeptical of an injury that happens when someone is behind—as with Nadal's timeout against Philipp Petzschner last year—but another when the injured player is ahead.

Metis
07-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Nadal-Murray 6-7 6-2 6-2 6-4

1st -
2nd -
3rd - Getta
4th - JolanGago
QF -
SF - !VamosRafa!
F - cobalt60

!VamosRafa!:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/5/15/fb6f0723-bdf1-4a8e-be2f-8a98d540beac.jpg (http://cheezburger.com/View/4763806720)

Metis
07-02-2011, 04:25 PM
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2011-07-01/201107011309521158215.html

Nadal the gracious victor applauds opponent :eek:

by Kate Battersby

How does Rafael Nadal do it? Not the tennis. Well, yes, of course the tennis. But as much as that, his grace in victory. The bigger the match, the greater the triumph, the more humble he becomes, and it never appears to be some elaborate construct to glean cheap popularity, but wholly genuine.

In front of a Centre Court crowd that appreciates all these qualities, it meant he could be quickly forgiven for having dashed British hopes of a domestic victory at Wimbledon by beating Andy Murray in the semi-final. And afterwards he was not just modest but apparently relieved - surprised, even, to have played yet again to his habitual standard.

Not everybody saw it, but Nadal unobtrusively hung back behind Murray as the two men exited the Centre Court, with the victor touchingly applauding the vanquished off stage. It was a truly honest gesture, not done in any showy way for his own acclaim.

"I am not a robot," explained Nadal afterwards. "Andy probably deserves to be a Grand Slam winner. He's the best player without a Grand Slam title I see. This year he has been in the Australian finals and the semi-finals in France and here. It's not easy for him to be there all the time and lose another time. But he's doing well. He is in the right way to win a Slam. I feel he needs a little bit more luck and he will win. I still don't have any doubt on that."

The talk about his opponent's potential future glories done, it was time to focus on what went right for Nadal and wrong for Murray in the contest just played out on Centre Court. The view of many commentators was that the outcome had hinged on a single point.

Nadal agreed without prompting that the key point of the match was when he stood at 1-2, 15-30 in the second set. Murray, having played at a superlative level to take the first set, had an open court to go to 15-40 and a chance to be a set and a break up. But he sent a simple forehand long, and the mistake appeared to halt Murray's momentum in its tracks. He lost the next seven games, and the way back against a player of Nadal's brilliance was too far.

"In the first set he played really complete tennis, so I just waited for my moment," explained the Spaniard. "I was a little bit lucky when he missed that easy forehand. That was probably the turning point of the match."
Nadal is now unbeaten in his last 20 matches at Wimbledon, and has won four of the last five Slams. Yet he goes into the final against Novak Djokovic knowing that even if he makes it five out of six on Sunday, nothing will prevent him losing the world No.1 spot to the Serb when the new rankings are released on Monday.

"Seriously, that's something that doesn't matter a lot to me," said Nadal. "Yes, I have lost the No.1 spot. One guy played unbelievable for the first half of the year so he is the new No.1. What he did in the first part of this season is really impressive, fantastic. Normally, I would still be No.1 because my results are really good for the first part of the season too. But one guy did unbelievable, and congratulations to him."

bettybaby
07-02-2011, 06:22 PM
^^^thanks for posting. his off court persona is one of the many reasons i'm such a huge fan.

he had a solid win over andy, and i'm pretty positve about his chances against nole. i know the "he's lost the last 4 times they've played," is being touted as the be all and end all, but i don't necessarily see it that way.

i just can't put that much emphasis on rafa losing to him in finals that weren't grand slams. now if he had 4 GS wins over him that would be another story. best of 3 versus best of 5 tournaments are 2 completely different things. either way it should be a great match as both players went through to the final playing solid tennis.

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww289/bettybaby101/vaaaaaaaaaaaamos.gif

Veronique
07-02-2011, 07:03 PM
^^^thanks for posting. his off court persona is one of the many reasons i'm such a huge fan.

he had a solid win over andy, and i'm pretty positve about his chances against nole. i know the "he's lost the last 4 times they've played," is being touted as the be all and end all, but i don't necessarily see it that way.

i just can't put that much emphasis on rafa losing to him in finals that weren't grand slams. now if he had 4 GS wins over him that would be another story. best of 3 versus best of 5 tournaments are 2 completely different things. either way it should be a great match as both players went through to the final playing solid tennis.

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww289/bettybaby101/vaaaaaaaaaaaamos.gif

Wholeheartedly agree!

Metis
07-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Day 13: Sunday 3 July

Centre Court 14:00

Gentlemen's Singles - Finals
Rafael Nadal (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpn409.html)(ESP)[1]vs. Novak Djokovic (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/players/overview/atpd643.html)(SRB)[2]

star
07-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Nadal Interview. Some crazy questions.

R. Nadal bt. A. Murray 5 7, 6 2, 6 2, 6 4

Q. You didn't look very much like the No. 2 player in the world today. Seriously? That's your first question :rolleyes:

RAFAEL NADAL: For me, seriously, that's something that really doesn't matter a lot. You know, I said last year when I was No. 3 or No. 4. I said when I was No. 1 for me is not a big goal for me.

For me big goal is be competitive, be healthy. Be competitive every time when I am on court and try to be at my best in the important moments, no, in all the tournaments, because all the tournaments are important, no? :worship:

Yeah, today I lost the No. 1. I did lost the No. 1. One guy played unbelievable the first half of the year so he's the new No. 1. We just can congratulate him :clap2] because what he did this first part of the season is something really impressive, really fantastic.

I am happy about how I did. I think in normal conditions I would be No. 1 or a lot of chances to keep being the No. 1 for me for a few more time, because my results are really good the first part of the season, too. :hug: But one guy did unbelievable, and congratulations.

Q. Zero unforced errors in the second set, two in the third, one in the fourth. How did you manage?

RAFAEL NADAL: Total seven, yeah, and 37 winners, so the statistics are really unbelievable. The true, I don't know. The statistics is something that we have to have a look about the statistics, but not everything is statistics, no? :lol:

In general, I think Andy played very, very high level especially the first set and the beginning of the second, too. Seriously I felt he was better player than me at that moment, so I just waited for my moment.

I felt that I am playing well the first set, too, but he was playing really good, really aggressive, serving really well. I was there all the time. I was little bit lucky I don't know exactly the first or second game of the second set with 15 30, he had an easy forehand in the middle of the court and he miss. He miss the shot long. So after that was probably the turning point of the match.

I think after that he had a bad game with his serve. He had 30 15, and he had unforced error with the forehand, double fault, and after he miss a smash.

After that, the match was close, because I was playing well, too. He lost probably little bit the intensity of the beginning. But that's true, play like he played in the first set is not easy. Is really difficult. He played really complete tennis.

After that I think I played little bit better than the beginning. I was playing well the beginning, but probably I improved little bit the level, and I played probably my best match this year here. :hearts:

Q. Statistics are not important, but you played five finals in Wimbledon of the last five tournaments you played here. That is a great statistic. What do you think about that? Because only Borg, McEnroe and Federer have done it.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, it's something for me very important. Always Wimbledon was my dream. After is my 2003, 2005, and after five finals, so it's my seventh Wimbledon probably in my career. Seventh? Eighth?

Q. Seventh.

RAFAEL NADAL: Seventh, so... I never thought that I gonna be able to play five finals, so today is a very important victory for me and very happy for everything, no?

I think is a great effort after, you know, four years without a Spanish playing the semifinals or finals here. After the last five years well, not 2009 but in five years we were there, have a Spanish in the final, so that's a fantastic news for me, but I think for our country, too.

Q. Back in 1999 Agassi became No. 1 in the world and he had to play the final with Sampras and he but lost to Sampras. The next day Agassi was No.1 but Sampras was the Wimbledon champion. Would you like to see the same scenario?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes (smiling).

Q. When you walked out of the court you said you were sorry for Andy. How do you manage to be so competitive when you're on the court, and as soon as you are off the court you think with your heart about your competitors?

RAFAEL NADAL: I felt that during the court, too. I'm not a robot when I'm playing. :hug: :hug:I think.

Andy probably deserved to be Grand Slam winner. He's the best player without a title of Grand Slam that I ever see. So he deserve to be a champion of Grand Slam. Always he was there: final in Australia, semifinals Roland Garros, semifinals here another time. That's tough. I understand, no?

Is not easy for him be there all the time and finally he lost another time. But he's doing well. He's in the right way to win a Grand Slam. I always say the same. But that's what I feel, you know. I feel the reason is he needs little bit more lucky for moments and he will win. I still don't have any doubt on that.

Q. What are your thoughts about playing against Novak, and what do you think is the key to the match?

RAFAEL NADAL: The key is play really well and to wait the opponent don't have his best day. That is the key in these kind of matches, when you play against the best players of the world, you know.

His mental position over me today is probably a little bit better because he won the last four finals against me. And that's what it is. I'm here. I'm try my best. I think I'm playing well, really well.

We will see what's going on on Sunday, no? I will try my best. I have to play aggressive. I have to play with intensity, with rhythm. That's what I gonna try. :rocker2:

Q. What aspect of Novak's game will you find most challenging to overcome?

RAFAEL NADAL: Everything. Yeah. :lol:

Q. With Novak, do you think you have any advantage, perhaps even on this surface, more than clay against him? And do you think since you've been to this stage of the tournament before and he hasn't, that that might also be an advantage for you?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I don't have an advantage here more than clay. I am better player on clay than grass. That's the true.

Q. Maybe you're a better player on grass than he is on clay.

RAFAEL NADAL: You know what? Playing two semifinals and now the final, probably he's not a bad player on grass, too. That's my feeling. Yeah.

Q. You're obviously aware of the magnitude of your achievements. How often do you think of the number 16?

RAFAEL NADAL: Of what? :lol:

Q. Grand Slams.

RAFAEL NADAL: The number 16? I think about the number 10. That's what I have at home. That's what I'm able to see when I go back home in my bedroom. I don't have 11, I don't have 12, I don't have 15, or 16. 16 is very far. I believe the number is not gonna stop there. Roger will have more chances to win more.

Seriously, is not my goal. Disappointing is not my goal. But I am very happy about my 10. I gonna try my best to keep being competitive in important tournaments, and we will see in the next years what's going on. We'll see Sunday. We'll see in the future what's going on.

The career of Roger is probably impossible to repeat. You know, if you look of the history of tennis, he's the player with more Grand Slams in I don't know how many years of history of the tennis, 100?

Q. 125 this year.

RAFAEL NADAL: Is gonna be strange he's the player with more Grand Slams ever. Gonna be strange that three years, four years after one player win more than the best ever, no? So probably that's not gonna happen.

Q. You had issues with your foot earlier in the competition. Was that an issue at all today, and will it be in the final on Sunday?

RAFAEL NADAL: I talked about the foot the other day. I said how was the problem, how is my foot. Is exactly the same than a few days ago. I did exactly the same than in the previous match.

So I said two days ago I not worried about the foot. I know what's going on. I know with the treatment that I am doing to play I don't gonna have any problem. I don't feel nothing. Rafa :fiery: You must tell them you sleep the foot!

Q. This attitude of yours focusing on the competition and the preparation and the health, not so much on the numbers and the results, is that something that's always come that easy to you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Don't think about the?

Q. When you speak about not caring about numbers, results, and records, you talk about focusing being on competitive, preparation. Is it an attitude that's always been like that for you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Seriously, I care about records, I care about the statistics, and I care about the history of tennis, for sure. But, you know, is not the right moment for me to talk about that. I have 25 years old. I am playing.

And talk about the history when I don't know when my career is going to finish is probably something that is to talk. We will see when I finish my career where I am in the history of tennis. We will see what's going on.

Right now for me, my history is I am in the final of Wimbledon. Very happy for that. I will have a very difficult match on Sunday. Let's enjoy it. Let's try my best on Sunday. That's my history today.

The history of tennis, we'll have time to talk about it.

Q. There are many statistics in the game. Which ones to you are the most important?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know which way you are talking. Nor does he, Rafa. :(

Q. Majors won, weeks at No. 1, Davis Cup.

RAFAEL NADAL: I am not a specialist on that, so we have to look around and see about different facts. In my opinion, for sure the Grand Slam is probably the most important thing.

But is a mistake think only about the Grand Slams, because the tennis is much more than four tournaments every year, you know.

For me the records of Roger are unbelievable. 16 Grand Slams are unbelievable. But he has a few probably more difficult things to do or more unbelievable things to do. I don't know. He have 23 or 24 straight semifinals in Grand Slams. That's really unbelievable.

In my opinion, for me is much more difficult win in the clay season Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, Madrid, Hamburg a few years ago, than win Roland Garros. Seems like the most important thing is Roland Garros, is true.

But if we talk about the quality of tennis, is much more difficult win the other four than win Roland Garros. Probably that's for the history didn't count that much for the spectators.

But for the people of tennis and for the people who love this sport and who understand this sport from inside, everybody knows that's more difficult than win a Grand Slam.

You know, Andy Murray today didn't win a Grand Slam, but he's much more better player than a lot of player who won a Grand Slam in the past. That's the true.

Q. Your head to heads against your opponents, is that important?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't think so. Is another fact, but is nothing really decisive, in my opinion.

Q. Having your family, your mother, father, sister, does it help you to relax or does it change the focus in any way?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. For me seriously doesn't matter, no? I am happy to be with them here. They are supporting me here. They are with me during the day off. I like to be with people. I don't like a lot to be alone. If more people are here is a little bit more fun for me during the free hours.

So for me is always a pleasure have the family around, have my team around, the people who are close to me around me, because that's makes me happy. Seems like I'm more at home.

Q. How would you describe Novak's ability to defend, his movements around the court compared to some other players you've played against? Is he among the best, the quickest or...

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I think his game is really complete defending. When he attack, too. Probably he's defending a little bit better than previous years this year.

But in my opinion, his general game, his total game, is really complete: good serve, very good movements, very easy, his eyes are very fast, and he can go inside the court very easy playing very difficult shots. Very easy for him because he takes the ball very early.

In my opinion, his biggest ability is take the ball very early. That's something very difficult. Roger do very well, too. That's something very difficult, and they do very easy.

Ben.
07-02-2011, 09:11 PM
It's frustrating to hear all this talk of records, Fed's GS count, etc. I feel way too much has been made of Rafa and Fed's respective GS tallys. All this hype about Rafa chasing him, it just seems like he is being set up to fail. I mean he is the 6th man in history to reach double digits in slam wins, that is a phenomenal achievement, every match win now is a bonus. Fed's dominance has created unrealistic expectations it seems. I hope Rafa isn't deemed a failure when he retires with less than 16 slams as I don't think that is a very realistic goal for him. People seem to forget Rafa has been in the top 2 since 2005, so while there is 5 years between them in age there is only two between them in that respect. Rafa has been playing 80+ matches a year for only two years less.

star
07-03-2011, 12:16 AM
Tignor picks Rafa in five. :scared: :bolt:

Men's Final Preview: The Match We Needed

07/02/2011 - 1:13 PM

LONDON—A long fortnight later and we’ve got it, Nos. 1 and 2, Nole and Rafa, the Aussie Open and French Open champs respectively, the men who have, over the course of 2011, taken up residence on their own two-person tennis planet. We’ve seen them in Masters finals on hard courts and clay; now we’ll see them at a major, on grass, on the sport’s most storied 78 x 27.

I’ll take a look ahead at that showdown by answering five questions posed by Tennis.com editor Ed McGrogan.

Is this the match we needed to see after the events of the spring?

I think it’s fair to say that, because as much as these guys have achieved in 2011, there’s some unfinished business on both ends. Djokovic beat Nadal in four consecutive finals, including two on Nadal’s beloved clay; but after losing to Roger Federer in Paris, the Serb had to watch from the sidelines as Nadal walked away with his sixth French Open title. On the flip side, despite having won three of the last four majors, Nadal, even as he was playing one of the finest matches of his career yesterday against Andy Murray, knew that he had been displaced by Djokovic at No. 1 a few hours earlier.

Now, finally, streaks and Masters titles and rankings can be forgotten and everything settled on the court, in the place where champions are traditionally measured.

What’s the more important stat: That Djokovic has beaten Nadal in four finals this season, or that Nadal is 5-0 against Djokovic at Slams?

At this point, coming into this match, it’s the latter stat that matters most. If, say, Djokovic were 1-5 in majors against Rafa, it might be a toss-up, because he would have at least proven that he can beat him when everyone is watching, when history is in the making, and over the course of three out of five sets. But as much as Djokovic has done this year—and his wins in those four finals shook Nadal’s confidence in a way I hadn’t seen before—he still hasn’t proven that. Nadal has beaten him at Wimbledon, the French, and at last year’s U.S. Open in a heavy hitting four-setter. This doesn’t mean that Djokovic can’t turn that around—he was closer than the score indicated at Flushing Meadows—but it does mean that Nadal comes in as someone who is already an all-time great, a career Slammer, a Made Man. Psychologically, he begins a step ahead, because he knows he can do it here against Djokovic; Djokovic doesn’t yet know the reverse.

What’s the most critical shot for each player if they are to win?

For Nadal, it’s the backhand. In their clay-court matches this spring, Djokovic was able to pound that side, get a moderate-to-weak reply, and then go hard with his own backhand for crosscourt winners. Nadal’s backhand is a barometer of his confidence; the forehand is always going to be there, but the backhand’s effectiveness—its depth, pace and consistency—can fluctuate. The good news for him is that the pace of grass typically helps his two-hander. Tthe best he has ever hit it was here in 2008, and he has shown some of that type of flattening-the-ball-out form over these two weeks.

It’s harder to say with Djokovic. Everything is important to his game, but nothing stands out because it’s all so solid. I would say that the shot he needs to hit well is also his backhand. It has been a crucial weapon for him against Nadal this year, allowing him to step forward and negate the Spaniard’s go-to play, the heavy crosscourt forehand.

But Djokovic can usually count on his backhand. Iffier, traditionally, has been his serve. It has been perhaps the biggest reason for his 2011 surge, and he’ll likely need to call on it to get him out of a jam or three on Sunday. If he’s hitting it well, it could be, as they say, the difference-maker in the match, the way Federer’s serve has been on various occasions here in the past, including in the 2007 final against Rafa.

If Djokovic wins, he'll earn his first Wimbledon, third major, and become the first player other than Roger Federer to beat Nadal in a Grand Slam final. How should we be discussing Djokovic, if that comes to pass?

This is a step-up match for Djokovic. If he wins, he won’t only do all of the things you mention, he’ll also prove to himself that his loss at the French Open was an aberration rather than a return to the norm. His rise will continue, and he’ll feel fully like a No. 1 player.

As far as the historical aspect, it will change him as well. I said earlier that Nadal, like Federer, is a Made Man in terms of his place in tennis history. Djokovic, despite his two Aussie Opens, isn’t there yet, but if he beats Nadal at Wimbledon his case begins to get much stronger. You can then start to talk about him as more than a single-season or single-streak wonder. You can begin to talk about him as the next great champion, a possible future for the men’s game.

Who will in, and in how many sets?

Nadal in five.

rafa_maniac
07-03-2011, 05:01 AM
C'mon Rafito, you can lose to Nole in every match for the rest of the year for all I care as long as you DON'T LOSE THIS :mad:

!VamosRafa!
07-03-2011, 03:38 PM
6-4 6-1 Nole..wow this is so humiliating :sad:
at least Rafa has and always will have a better @ss than Nole :banana:

Björki
07-03-2011, 03:44 PM
I will be surprised if Rafa turn it around even if he wins the third set. This Nole is good :eek: Jinx? :lol:

I am one of probably only few who likes both players. I just want to see a great match :D

Björki
07-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Rafa :hug: :awww:

F - cobalt60

congrats. :awww:

vn01
07-03-2011, 04:55 PM
i don't know what to say. i am awfully upset :sad:

cobalt60
07-03-2011, 04:56 PM
I will be surprised if Rafa turn it around even if he wins the third set. This Nole is good :eek: Jinx? :lol:

I am one of probably only few who likes both players. I just want to see a great match :D

And I like them both as well. :hatoff: here to you all and both players. Not the greatest final play for Nadal ( I too thought he might get to a 5th set) but hey it is what is it. :hug:

star
07-03-2011, 04:57 PM
And I like them both as well. :hatoff: here to you all and both players. Not the greatest final play for Nadal ( I too thought he might get to a 5th set) but hey it is what is it. :hug:

Congrats on your GS win, Sue! :worship:

GSMnadal
07-03-2011, 04:58 PM
:hug: to everybody here... stay strong, it wasn't to be...

Absolutely gutted, Rafa was so poor for his standards.

Ben.
07-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Well what can you say. Too good from Djokovic. Rafa can be proud that he fought back and conducted himself well. It is sad to see someone in his head like this but the pressure at the top is great and hopefully with the focus off him he can find his correct mindset again. He had his chances in this match, the second set aside, it is clear he lackes belief against Djokovic right now, but he's not the only one, he's beaten him 16 times and he can do it again.

Rafaaah
07-03-2011, 05:18 PM
This is too upsetting. I feel so down, falling into deep depression it feels like! ovak has denied Rafa of so many records and ruined so many of his great stats. Losing 5 straight finals...Rafa could be up 4 ATP 1000s; 1 more Wimbledon title...11th Grand Slam, 3rd RL&W double..high final winning precentage...all broken by Nole. So sad.

I need time to recover. I'm glad there is now a 5-6 weeks break from tennis and watching Rafa because I will not be able to watch another Rafa vs. Nole final again until Rafa starts winning again. Its too sad and mentally draining!!

Off course, I have to close all this moaning by saying that the better man certainly did win today but Rafa could be the better man any other day but he needs to break through the mental challenge that Novak has denied him of 5 straight final...all big titles this year. Come on Rafa..just get that first win in..and the wins will keep coming!!

mseles1
07-03-2011, 05:29 PM
'It is sad to see someone in his head like this'

Agree, this seems to be the problem. 4-5 (1st set) 30-0 - game Djokovic to 30. Surely that's mental, start of the 4th set also. Not one winner from Djokovic last three games of match yet he won all of em.

'he can do it again'

Hope so, I fail to see how any tennis player winning 50 of 51 matches is good for the sport. Tennis currently resembles a one player benefit. Frankly I'm glad there's 5-6 weeks of no tennis (Rafa)till the American stretch.

MariaV
07-03-2011, 05:34 PM
It was pathetic from Rafa but now get some rest and heal that foot and be back for the US Open series. :hug: :hug:

Ben.
07-03-2011, 06:19 PM
'It is sad to see someone in his head like this'

Agree, this seems to be the problem. 4-5 (1st set) 30-0 - game Djokovic to 30. Surely that's mental, start of the 4th set also. Not one winner from Djokovic last three games of match yet he won all of em.

'he can do it again'

Hope so, I fail to see how any tennis player winning 50 of 51 matches is good for the sport. Tennis currently resembles a one player benefit. Frankly I'm glad there's 5-6 weeks of no tennis (Rafa)till the American stretch.

Agree on all points. Those last few games were painful to watch, Djokovic applying no pressure, Rafa dumping everything in the net. As soon as the rally went beyond about five strokes you knew an error was coming.

Also Rafa hit two DTLFHs in the first game of the match. I don't remember him making another one, I'm sure he did but I can remember quite a few misses. It would have been a very helpful outlet for him but his lack of confidence didn't allow it.

mseles1
07-03-2011, 06:32 PM
'DTLFHs'

Having watched all five final losses this year, the above is what Rafa's needing most, it is as devastating a shot as Djokovic's cross-court bh. Maybe the intention is to hit it whenever possible before his matches, but something's amiss somewhere because it starts becoming far too infrequent a sight. I did notice a few times Rafa hitting slice then topspin bhs and Djokovic hitting errors. Searching for crumbs here, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Rafa and Toni analyse this match.

born_on_clay
07-03-2011, 09:32 PM
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/6389/finalzk.jpg

:mad:

Ben.
07-03-2011, 09:56 PM
'DTLFHs'

Having watched all five final losses this year, the above is what Rafa's needing most, it is as devastating a shot as Djokovic's cross-court bh. Maybe the intention is to hit it whenever possible before his matches, but something's amiss somewhere because it starts becoming far too infrequent a sight. I did notice a few times Rafa hitting slice then topspin bhs and Djokovic hitting errors. Searching for crumbs here, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Rafa and Toni analyse this match.

Rafa is going to have to work on a more consistent attacking game if he wants to beat Djokovic and with faster courts coming up he will be more rewarded for the risk. If he plays like he did in the USO final he wins, that was Rafa bludgeoning the ball at the height of confidence. He stopped coming to the net today for some reason which led to him having to hit two or three low percentage shots in a row.

It is going to be tough on slower surfaces, I think Djokovic has taken defence to new places. I'd never thought I'd be moaning about court speeds but Djokovic has played the same game on all surfaces this year, even Rafa has to make adjustments. The only hope is that Djokovic loses a bit and comes back down to earth and starts missing more when he switches from defense to offense because right now it is seamless.

mseles1
07-03-2011, 11:06 PM
I hope Rafa does just that. Having skimmed through the match again, Rafa seems to have been bothered by Djokovic's cross-court bh less, than in Rome certainly. Might be wishful viewing on my part though. The difference in winners SF-F posted above is telling. Murray's no slouch. 'seamless' - Accurate description, half the time I zone out because at times he's less human more computer graphic.

No doubt, Djokovic on slower surfaces awesome.

I'm reading the comments in here more often, the general msgs section is becoming more like a zoo by the half hour.

star
07-04-2011, 12:25 AM
NY Times

Nadal’s Best Isn’t Enough
By KAREN CROUSE
Published: July 3, 2011

WIMBLEDON, England — By the final points of his fifth Wimbledon final, Rafael Nadal had the same hollow-eyed expression he usually sees in his opponents. His last stroke Sunday, a backhand that sailed long, ended his 20-match winning streak at the All England Club and his mastery in the majors over Novak Djokovic, who cemented his No. 1 ranking with a 6-4, 6-1, 1-6, 6-3 victory.

Nadal, a two-time champion, was beaten by someone who took his playbook and executed it better. Djokovic, who was winless in five previous Grand Slam matches against Nadal, retrieved nearly every ball that came his way, forcing Nadal to hit one or two or three shots after striking what would have been a clean winner against anybody else.

In the first two sets, Nadal put 81 percent of his first serves in play — and was broken three times by Djokovic, the reigning Australian Open champion who has a match record of 48-1 this year.

Nadal, who had not lost here since the 2007 final, knows what it is like to catch a wave like the one Djokovic is riding, his game so dialed in that the tennis ball looks like a beach ball. For six months last year, Nadal was virtually unbeatable.

From April to September, he went 43-3 and won six titles, including three majors: the French Open, Wimbledon and the United States Open. The title at Flushing Meadows came at the expense of Djokovic, whom Nadal beat in four sets in the final.

The laws of physics and of sport dictate that all waves eventually crest and come crashing to shore.

“My experience says this level is not forever,” Nadal said. “Even for me, when I was last year winning three Grand Slams, my level of last year is not forever. Probably the level of Novak today is not forever. I am going to be here fighting all the time, waiting for my moment.”

On Friday, Andy Murray was the one soul-searching in the wake of his crushing four-set semifinal defeat to Nadal. Two days later, it was Nadal’s turn to plumb the depths of his misery.

In the English-speaking portion of Nadal’s postmatch news conference, a journalist started, “You’ve lost to Novak five times this year. ...”

Before he could get to the question, Nadal smiled quizzically and arched his eyebrows. His eyes, dark as coal, bore in on his inquisitor.

“I know that,” he said, adding: “We have to find how I can bother him another time. I did in the past. He’s in the best moment of his career. That’s true, too. I am in one of the best moments of my career. Still not enough for him. I have to play longer. I have to play more aggressive. I have to make less mistakes.”

Djokovic, 24, played better on the big points. Nadal, 25, was serving at 4-5 and 30-30 in the first set when he hit an errant forehand to end a long rally and then, on set point, sent another forehand wide to dig himself a hole.

In the fourth set, Nadal was broken again, at 3-4, when he missed a backhand on a 14-stroke rally.

On those points, Nadal acknowledged, his four previous defeats this year to Djokovic — in the finals at Indian Wells, Miami, Madrid and Rome — came into play.

“Probably the mental part is a little bit dangerous for me,” Nadal said, “because when I arrive to the 5-4, I played a bad game with 30-love. When I arrived to 4-3 of the fourth set, I played another bad game with my serve.”

How does he change that? “Probably be a little bit less nervous, play more aggressive and all the time be confident with myself,” he said. “That’s what I’m going to try next time.”

It was a remarkable admission by Nadal, one that violated the ethos of elite athletes who would sooner endure a public flogging than own up to a loss of confidence, an intrusion of nerves or a failure of will.

”When one player is better than you, at this moment, the only thing you can do is work, try to find solutions and try to wait a little bit for your time,” he said. “I’m going to wait and I’m going to try a sixth time. And if the sixth doesn’t happen, a seventh. It’s going to be like this. That’s the spirit of sport.” :worship: :worship: :worship:

Ben.
07-04-2011, 12:52 AM
I hope Rafa does just that. Having skimmed through the match again, Rafa seems to have been bothered by Djokovic's cross-court bh less, than in Rome certainly. Might be wishful viewing on my part though. The difference in winners SF-F posted above is telling. Murray's no slouch. 'seamless' - Accurate description, half the time I zone out because at times he's less human more computer graphic.

No doubt, Djokovic on slower surfaces awesome.

I'm reading the comments in here more often, the general msgs section is becoming more like a zoo by the half hour.

Yes I think the lower bounce on the grass stopped the CCBH from doing too much damage today.

:lol: Djokovic bores me to tears too. General Messages needs a serious clean up, mods need to just instant ban anyone who blatantly trolls in my opinion.

Good to see Rafa acknowledging his poor play at tight moments and his general frankness about these losses to Djokovic, I just wish we had seen that reflected on the court. Nine net approaches in the match? That is like a third of the amount from his other matches.

It has been so long since he lost a big match like this I'm glad to see he is handling it with such class and being realistic. Though GM will tell you he is reading from Toni's pre prepared script :lol:

Edda
07-04-2011, 03:53 AM
I detest Djoko with every fiber of my being. He is such a strutting, self-congratulatory, jerk. It was bad enough to see Rafa hurt and struggling, but to see Djoko's anics on top of it was just too much. Rafa was gracious as always, but I could tell he was hurting.

RafaSerVen
07-04-2011, 04:59 AM
So true, novak lacks the class of Rafa and Roger (his family is just as annoying).
This is what Rafa needs to improve:
1)Return of serve-deeper return, take more risks
2)Forehand up the line more and not 80% of the time cross court
3)Against Novak,del porto, etc, the forehand cross court to their backhand will 90% of the time go cross court
4)Trust backhand and stop running around to hit short forehand return

I detest Djoko with every fiber of my being. He is such a strutting, self-congratulatory, jerk. It was bad enough to see Rafa hurt and struggling, but to see Djoko's anics on top of it was just too much. Rafa was gracious as always, but I could tell he was hurting.

Mimi
07-04-2011, 05:48 AM
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

waaaaaaaaa, i wanted so much rafa to equal Borg, but now :bigcry:

acionescu
07-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Well, the answer to the title question is apparently not :bigcry:

star
07-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Link to interview video.

Rafael Nadal

LONDON, ENGLAND

N. DJOKOVIC/R. Nadal
6-4, 6-1, 1-6, 6-3

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. How would you describe the way Novak played today, especially in the second set?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think he played very well in the second. Is difficult to describe.
But, anyway, he played better than me. For that reason he is the champion here. So I just can congratulate him. That's the true. He played very, very, very high level for moments, and I played a little bit lower than the previous days.

Q. Did his attacking force you to play short?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. I played short because I played short I think today. He's doing great. He's doing few things fantastic. But I had to play better to win, and I didn't today. I played little bit less aggressive.
And the most important thing, to win in matches here, to win tough matches like today, like two days ago, the most important thing is play well the important moments. There is few points in the match that can change the match, and I didn't today.

Q. After a match like this, we can think of many reasons for the outcome. Is it possible that one of them is Novak was able to handle your forehand better than the other players?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, when one player beat you five times is because today my game don't bother him a lot. Today probably against me he's playing better than my level. And find solutions, that's what I have to try and that's what I gonna try.
Anyway, seriously, I only lose matches this year against him. That's the true. When I was healthy, I only lost against him. That's the true. The rest of the matches, I don't want to count in Queen's, two days ago -- two weeks ago, three weeks ago, because is different conditions for me.
When I was hundred percent to play, I lost against him five times. The rest of the year I won almost every match. So I'm doing the things very well - probably not against him. That's what I have to change.
Probably the mental part is little bit dangerous for me, because when I arrive to the 5-4, I played a bad game with 30-Love. When I arrived to 4-3 of the fourth set, I played another bad game with my serve.
That's what I say: to win these kind of matches, I have to play well these kind of points can change the match. When I had the breakpoint at the first set, at the first game of the fourth set, I didn't play well that point. That was a big moment for me. Because I came back after 6-1, start the fourth with a break can change everything.
I didn't play well these moments. That's what happened in Indian Wells, that's what happened in Miami, and that's what happened here. I? Don't want to count in Madrid and Rome because he played much better than me.
But these three times, that's what happened. And to change that is probably be little bit less nervous than these times, play more aggressive, and all the time be confident with myself. That's what I gonna try next time.
If not, I gonna be here explaining the sixth.

Q. How much of those four finals against Novak affected your confidence?

RAFAEL NADAL: I started the match without thinking on that. But that's true. When you arrive to 5-4, these moments probably affects a little bit. That's what happened, and that's why.

Q. You've lost to Novak five times this year.

RAFAEL NADAL: I know that. We were talking about that (smiling).

Q. Why do you think you can't beat him? Do you think there's a psychological reason?

RAFAEL NADAL: You are hear that? I just explained that.

Q. Is there a technical reason? Is he handling your topspin forehand better with his two-handed backhand, taking it early?

RAFAEL NADAL: The game is easy. The game is not that difficult. So think about a lot of things will be a mistake, in my opinion. Don't think is how you playing well, how you not playing that well.
Is true we can analyze that my game is not bothering him. We have to find how I can bother him another time. I did in the past.
He's in the best moment of his career. That's true, too. I am in one of the best moments of my career. Still not enough for him. I have to play longer. I have to play more aggressive. I have to have less mistakes. Yes, that's what I have to do.
But start to think if his backhand or he takes the ball earlier, yeah, he's very complete player. He has good backhand, very good forehand, good serve. His movements probably are one of the best in of the world in this moment.
Seriously, I lose because I am playing against the best player of the moment, the best player of the world tomorrow, and I am the second. And when you play against these players and they are playing unbelievable, the normal thing is lose. That's what happened last few times.
My experience says this level is not forever. Even for me when I was last year winning three Grand Slams, my level of last year is not forever. Probably the level of Novak of today is not forever. I gonna be here fighting all the time, waiting my moment. I don't have to wait a lot, because I already won three tournaments this year and one Grand Slam. But waiting my moment to beat him another time.
I understand the sport like this. When one player is better than you, at this moment the only thing you can do is work, try to find solutions, and try to wait a little bit for your time.
Last five times wasn't my time. I gonna wait and I gonna try to a sixth. And if the sixth doesn't happen, to the seventh. It's going to be like this. That's the spirit of the sport.

Q. Emotionally, is this the most difficult defeat of your career?

RAFAEL NADAL: For sure not. C'mon.

Q. Which is?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is difficult to say now. You know, after playing eight finals this year, winning Roland Garros few weeks ago, play the final here cannot be the toughest lose of my career.
You know how is the toughest moment? When I am in Australia and I finish the match and I am injury; when in 2010 I have to go out of Australia with an injury, That is the toughest moment. That's the game: sometimes you win; sometimes you lose.
Three weeks ago I was winning in Roland Garros; today I was playing the final here and I lost. That's the sport. We started 128 players. One have to win. I was the second. Is a good result for me. For sure always the goals and the objective probably is win every time, but everybody lose. Nobody's winning everything.
But he going to lose in the future. I going to keep losing a lot of matches in the future. I gonna try my best in every moment. But for sure this is not the toughest loss in my career.

Edda
07-05-2011, 02:10 AM
Rafa, as always, gave good, truthful answers to all of the questions. He politely, but truthfully, answers even the most inane questions by the interviewers. I hope some of these questioners feel like the fools they richly deserve to feel like.

Edda
07-05-2011, 02:19 AM
In America, parents like Djoko's are called "stage parents." They don't so much support their own kids as heckle other people's. Their behavior when both Roger and Rafa were playing was unbearable. I think Roger once told them, politely but firmly to "be quiet," in a tone that said, "Shut up!"

star
07-05-2011, 02:30 AM
In America, parents like Djoko's are called "stage parents." They don't so much support their own kids as heckle other people's. Their behavior when both Roger and Rafa were playing was unbearable. I think Roger once told them, politely but firmly to "be quiet," in a tone that said, "Shut up!"

As if he's the arbiter of who can talk. :rolleyes:

I've never seen Nole's parents heckle other players. I've only seen them cheer for their son. There's nothing wrong with that. People get on Toni and Rafa's parents too. I'd like to see how posters here behave with their children at sporting events -- probably it's not with one quarter the restraint of the parents of tennis players.

MariaV
07-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Hehe, I would not watch. :lol:
I understand Nole's parents can annoy Fed and such but they're not the worst tennis parents there are.

Castafiore
07-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Q. You've lost to Novak five times this year.

RAFAEL NADAL: I know that. We were talking about that (smiling). :lol:

Q. Why do you think you can't beat him? Do you think there's a psychological reason?

RAFAEL NADAL: You are hear that? I just explained that. :facepalm:
I think that many of these journalists are too busy focusing on the questions they'd like to ask that they forget to pay attention to what's actually being said.

Well, at least, Rafa doesn't seem to be putting his head in the sand.

From twitter:

Neil Harman:
I think I forgot to say it yesterday but I cannot remember a more open and frank appraisal after a Wimbledon defeat than Rafael Nadal's.

Christopher Clarey:
Rarely heard a more lucid, unflinching loser's press conference at a Grand Slam. #Nadal cuts himself no slack but not crestfallen #wimbledon

I still wonder where Harman got the idea to write about a hairline fracture on the front of the newspaper. It's now denied by both Toni Nadal and Benito. He's not the type to invent stuff normally, right? So I wonder who his "source" is (whom he can now scrap from his list of sources)

The Times have been a bit careless lately.

Castafiore
07-05-2011, 10:01 AM
I'd like to see how posters here behave with their children at sporting events -- probably it's not with one quarter the restraint of the parents of tennis players.
Sure, but there's a difference between supporting your son or daughter in her local sports club from the sidelines with no press or any other media attention involved in a match that's not important to anybody but those participating in it vs supporting your son or daughter in an important sports event that's shown world wide, knowing all too well that there are cameras ready to record your reactions.

I think that many parents, who get intense when it's just a local sports event with no real outside interest, will show a lot more restraint when they know that they're catching the attention of the world media and their behaviour will reflect on their son/daughter.

MariaV
07-05-2011, 10:54 AM
I still wonder where Harman got the idea to write about a hairline fracture on the front of the newspaper. It's now denied by both Toni Nadal and Benito. He's not the type to invent stuff normally, right? So I wonder who his "source" is (whom he can now scrap from his list of sources)

The Times have been a bit careless lately.

But maybe Harman is like MTF fanboys trying to make up excuses, unlike Rafa himself. ;) Just kidding. :p
Good presser indeed btw.

star
07-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Sure, but there's a difference between supporting your son or daughter in her local sports club from the sidelines with no press or any other media attention involved in a match that's not important to anybody but those participating in it vs supporting your son or daughter in an important sports event that's shown world wide, knowing all too well that there are cameras ready to record your reactions.

I think that many parents, who get intense when it's just a local sports event with no real outside interest, will show a lot more restraint when they know that they're catching the attention of the world media and their behaviour will reflect on their son/daughter.

I should have written "tennis players at all levels."

Getta
07-05-2011, 01:15 PM
if we show a picture of a happy European person to someone from outside Europe, will they recognize the facial expression as happy?

has Europe dropped the Balkans?

am i asking you too many hard questions, even though i am from the Balkans myself and not a Nole fan?

Castafiore
07-05-2011, 01:18 PM
To answer your questions, Getta.

No, because it would be green with white polka dots.

Yes, obviously because a river runs through it.

Getta
07-05-2011, 01:24 PM
:rolls:

acionescu
07-05-2011, 01:39 PM
And Federer was right in that occasion. they kept screaming and shouting AFTER Fed said that the call was In Novak's favour :shrug: So he just told them to keep their ignorant mouths shut :)

JolánGagó
07-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Am i the only one who puked at the welcome excesses in Belgrade, as if it was Milosevic back again to win the war this time.

Metis
07-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Well, the answer to the title question is apparently not :bigcry:

:lol:

if we show a picture of a happy European person to someone from outside Europe, will they recognize the facial expression as happy?

Probably not if the happy European person has had extensive face lifting, botox, collagen injections etc.

Metis
07-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Nadal-Djokovic 4-6 1-6 6-1 3-6 :rolleyes:

1st -
2nd -
3rd - Getta
4th - JolanGago
QF -
SF - !VamosRafa!
F - cobalt60

Bjorki, born_on_clay, FerrerAndNadal, Foxy, MariaV, Metis, Minn, rafa_maniac, Rafaaah, tennizen, TopSpinDoctor, Veronique, vn01: This FAIL is going to hurt for a while :tape:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/6/17/8f48233b-819f-4588-b88f-6ff75a93ebba.jpg (http://cheezburger.com/aVampireTear/lolz/View/4877416192)

cobalt60 came and stole the WIN from everyone else's hands. Here's something for those cold winter months in Maine. :devil:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/1/29/00048e65-0e7e-4114-ab69-279f8fc0885d.jpg (http://cheezburger.com/SanAnMan/lolz/View/4405781248)

acionescu
07-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Am i the only one who puked at the welcome excesses in Belgrade, as if it was Milosevic back again to win the war this time.

No, you're the only one who had the stomach to watch it :hug:

MariaV
07-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Metis, that's an excellent win photo. I know it's summer right now in Europe but I wish people would pray that we wouldn't have as much snow again as we had the last 2 winters because there is no way I'd survive another winter like that. :o Thank you. :)

Foxy
07-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Looking from the bright side Rafa and Novak can only meet in finals for a long, long time from now on. And actually after Novak loses Davis Cup points and Rafa gaining back his Barca points the difference in the ranking points is pretty acceptable. Contrary to what many of you think N1 ranking is important. There are pretty entertaining records related to the rankings which could be achieved.

Have a nice rest, Rafa. And come back as strong as never before.

Edda
11-01-2011, 01:50 AM
It seems Novak was in just about everyone's heads, not just Rafa's. Federer choked away two matches against him when on match point, making his losses far more embarrassing. A number of other lesser-ranked players choked away potential victories to Nole as well. Nole will find out that defending all those points will be tough. It is not fair to say Novak is just in Rafa's head when other players actually did far worse against him. Rafa won the French and made the finals at Wimbledon and USO, while Federer only made the French finals and won zero majors this year. Fed is the big choker, not Rafa. (Or maybe slacker is the better word.)

Mae
11-14-2011, 10:54 AM
IMHO I don't think Rafa should have admitted that he had a mental block when it came to Nole. But that is just the way Rafa is straight up and honest about everything. I have never heard Roger say once that he has a mental block when it comes to Rafa, but he obviously does. But he won't admit it. And now Nole says he is having a shoulder problem and you are right in 2012 Nole will have a ton of points to defeat and I don't think he will be able to defeat all of them. How many he can defeat, of course, remains to be seen. And the happy news that I belatedly learned on here that Rafa's parents are together again must bring great happiness to Rafa which if the family becomes stable again will take a lot of stress off Rafa I'm sure :)