Sunny G.D.R [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Sunny G.D.R

Mjau!
06-08-2011, 01:32 AM
Dominguez and Bezabeh cleared of doping charges

Spanish endurance athletes free to compete again

World steeplechase champion Marta Dominguez and former European cross-country champion Alemayehu Bezabeh have been cleared of doping charges.

Dominguez was one of 14 people detained in December as part of ‘Operacion Galgo’, and had been charged with providing a banned substance to a fellow athlete.

She denied the charges, and a judge presiding over the case in Spain this week cleared Dominguez of the charges. However, the 35-year-old still faces charges of tax evasion and administering medications without a licence.

Bezabeh was arrested last December after being caught with a bag of his own blood, which was believed to be for an alleged transfusion.

The former Ethiopian admitted that half a litre of his blood had been taken, but insisted that it was for testing purposes. :lol: The Spanish athletics federation, RFEA, decided to clear Spanish 5000m record-holder Bezabeh because of lack of evidence, :rolleyes: stating: “Spanish sporting legislation does not consider a simple attempt at doping as a misdemeanour.” :o

Har-Tru
06-08-2011, 04:39 AM
“Spanish sporting legislation does not consider a simple attempt at doping as a misdemeanour.” :o

And can anyone explain to me how this is possible, with brand new "anti-doping" laws?? :rolleyes:

That's like a policeman catching someone charging a gun and pointing at someone else and going "hey, good that I arrived on time uh? had I arrived half a second later, I would have had to arrest you... go figure!".

Mjau!
06-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Surely this ridiculous verdict cannot stick? :unsure: The RFEA may not consider an "attempt at doping" a misdemeanour, but I'm certain WADA does.

Har-Tru
06-11-2011, 08:03 AM
The Spanish Sporting Disciplinary Committee has overturned the Spanish Athletics Federation's acquittal of Bezabeh and suspended him for two years.

Spanish distance runner Bezabeh banned for two years

Reuters, Friday June 10 2011
MADRID, June 10 (Reuters) - Spaniard Alemayehu Bezabeh, the 2009 European cross-country champion, has been banned for two years after admitting possessing a bag of his own blood intended for re-injection, Spanish sporting authorities said on Friday. Ethiopia-born Bezabeh, 25, was implicated in Spain's "Operation Greyhound" doping investigation in December.
He was exonerated of blood doping by the Spanish athletics federation but the government sports council decided to appeal to the nation's sporting disciplinary committee (CSO).
"A punishment for doping is never good news," state secretary for sport and CSD chief Albert Soler was quoted as saying by local media. "But it is clear that this demonstrates that it is one of the biggest problems in sport and we will fight it with all the means at our disposal."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/9690166

Har-Tru
06-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Encouraging news. Appealing the Spanish Federation's acquittal was the first major decision that Soler takes after swearing his post (he actually demanded 4 years). Hopefully he keeps fighting doping and organised traffic of banned substances, he can't do it worse than his predecessor Lissavetzky anyway...

Mjau!
06-12-2011, 02:19 AM
:yeah:

It's good that it was a national institution that overturned this ridiculous verdict by the spanish athletics federation.