"New Generation" Tennis Discussion [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

"New Generation" Tennis Discussion

LleytonMonfils
04-04-2010, 08:23 PM
~ In the Fall of 2009 it was Daydenko (28) dominating
~ Federer (28) won the Australian Open
~ Ljubicic (31) took Indian Wells
~ Roddick (27) adds Miami to his belt today

So when exactly are the young guns going to step up and take over tennis? Why is what many consider to be a mug era suddenly smacking these kids around???

TennisOnWood
04-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Not so soon... they are not even near the Top 100 (not to mention some big victories on Tour)

Geo
04-04-2010, 08:38 PM
c'mon Del Potro won the USO and he's been injured this year :shrug: He might not have won IW and Miami, but he would have been a factor for sure. The others do need to step up though :tape:

Jimnik
04-04-2010, 09:10 PM
~ Roddick (28) adds Miami to his belt today

Rod is 27. :p

Hope he plays this well when he's 28 though.

yesyesok
04-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Because many were wrong, and it was a damn fine era.

SetSampras
04-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Ive been wondering that for the better part of a year or two anyways.. Djokovic seemed the most likely candidate 2 years ago.. Thats gone wayward. He just flat sucks anymore. Murray? ehhh... He will never dominate or be number 1 with his style of game.. Not nearly aggressive enough and hes turning out to be a legitimate headcase. Del Potro is maybe the most logical at this point out of the younger guys but hes more frail then someone with osteoporosis

SetSampras
04-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Rod is 27. :p

Hope he plays this well when he's 28 though.

Roddick will get a few titles here and there but doubtful he will ever add to his slam count nor reach the top of the heap again. Hes playing reasonably well right now... But we'll see. Yea he won Miami but the top dogs right now are not up to par right now. It will be different at the slams.. Hes going to have to go through Fed, Nadal, Djoker and Murray for sure.

pesto
04-05-2010, 02:01 AM
And where is the really young generation? I mean those born 1989 and later.

3 years ago, Nadal was already Federer's main rival, Djokovic and Murray were top 16, Monfils and Gasquet were up there, Del Potro was coming through, and Gulbis was looking promising.

Who's coming through aged 18-21 now?

*bunny*
04-05-2010, 02:39 AM
Well, Nishikori (born Dec. 1989) reached No. 56 in 2008 when he was still 18, not to mention winning his first ATP title at Delray Beach and reaching R4 at USO. From 2008 to early 2009, Kei had wins over players like Blake, Ferrer, Querrey, Gulbis and Berdych and took a set from #1 Rafa; not bad at all for a teenager.
But his elbow broke down early last year---he underwent a surgery in August and is still doing rehab. (He made a brief come back in Delray this year but lost in R1 three sets.) It seems he still has some pains when he tries to serve strongly.
He's quite injury prone but if he become fitter then the results and rankings should follow.

sagroove
04-05-2010, 02:47 AM
well i'd offer up Ryan Harrison of the USA but his results the last 3 weeks would lead me to think he may not be the next guy to carry the USA flag. Oh well.........

Chip_s_m
04-05-2010, 03:08 AM
well i'd offer up Ryan Harrison of the USA but his results the last 3 weeks would lead me to think he may not be the next guy to carry the USA flag. Oh well.........

What's been so bad about Harrison recently? Yea his last 3 matches were weak, but he's young and is going to be erratic. In Indian Wells he beat Dent and then held his own against the eventual champion. His ranking has increased from 358 to 252 this year, even though all but one of his opponents this year has been ranked higher than him. Yea it could've been better, but the past 3 months have been very respectable for him.

I'm confident he'll finish 2010 in the top 100.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 05:00 AM
Is there any hope for:
1. Murray
2. Gasquet
3. Cilic
4. Monfils
5. Baghdatis
6. Querrey
7. Tomic
8. Tsonga

Can they win a slam?

MalwareDie
09-14-2010, 05:01 AM
Murray can win a Slam. No pressure on him from the media during the next Aussie Open.

LaFuria
09-14-2010, 05:05 AM
They should consider joining the WTA.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 05:06 AM
Murray can win a Slam. No pressure on him from the media during the next Aussie Open.

I think so too. He played so well there this year. I have a feeling that if he breaks the duck and wins his first, he is going to win 7 or 8 at least

DanaKz
09-14-2010, 05:09 AM
Why do you put them into one generation? They are really in different positions.

Tsonga is 25, Querrey is 22 and Tomic is 17.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 05:11 AM
Why do you put them into one generation? They are really in different positions.

You are right. Patrick McEnroe does that and i just borrowed his thing. I mean all the players who were expected to win a slam and have not :) And are youngish

The Magician
09-14-2010, 05:11 AM
They should consider joining the WTA.

:haha: I hear the money is great.

Salvy41
09-14-2010, 05:14 AM
I thought this was the BULL generation?

navy75
09-14-2010, 05:16 AM
Nadal and Federer have just been that good. I would fancy a couple on that list to take a Grand Slam or two in years' past, but not at the present time...

The Magician
09-14-2010, 05:17 AM
I thought this was the BULL generation?

Rafa is this generation. Every one else is simply a mug who does not have the power of his Vamos! juice. The exception is Odesnik but he does not have the genius of uncle Tony to harness the BULL into a tennis machine.

swisht4u
09-14-2010, 05:18 AM
Where's that one player who's 18-20 and wins his first slam? Or even a final? I don't see anyone who's close.
Gulbis was my boy for awhile, I thought he was going to raise hell but then he feel flat on his face.
Now I got Del Potro but he's injured. The last guy I picked before that won 16 slams so I'm happy.

delpiero7
09-14-2010, 05:22 AM

Wait until he wins in Doha. He'll be the biggest favourite for the AO in history.

freeandlonely
09-14-2010, 06:46 AM
What happen to physical scientists? Nadal is above all of them.

guille&tati4life
09-14-2010, 09:42 AM
You are right. Patrick McEnroe does that and i just borrowed his thing. I mean all the players who were expected to win a slam and have not :) And are youngish

Who the hell thought Tomic would have won a slam by this stage? :confused:

Voo de Mar
09-14-2010, 09:48 AM

Yeah.

Topspindoctor
09-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Is there any hope for:
1. Murray

Overrated. Good at winning masters, not a contender at slams.

2. Gasquet

Bad fitness, no serve, no forehand. Remind me, why are people calling this clown talented? One handed backhand? Please...

3. Cilic

Overrated. Taken by Tomic to 5 sets. Barely beat limp wristed Del Potro and injured Roddick. Hasn't done anything since fluke AO run.

4. Monfils

More concerned about looking good rather than winning :rolleyes:

5. Baghdatis

Has done nothing since 2006 AO run

6. Querrey

:haha:

7. Tomic

Should stick to playing juniors :wavey:

8. Tsonga

An erratic ball basher with no mental strength. Injury prone.

Can they win a slam?

Not a chance.

Puschkin
09-14-2010, 09:58 AM
An erratic ball basher with no mental strength.

I really can't stand Tsonga, but this is :bs:

kooties
09-14-2010, 10:36 AM
I really can't stand Tsonga, but this is :bs:

Yes, if you're going to insult Tsonga FFS get it right!

Ballbasher my ass...He's an all-serve mug!!! :mad:

born_on_clay
09-14-2010, 11:00 AM
1. Murray - pusher, lacks balls, weak mentally
2. Gasquet - pure talent, needs to focus on tennis
3. Cilic - hard to say, seemed good last year but collapsed this one
4. Monfils - injury prone
5. Baghdatis - sorry but not capable of doing great things
6. Querrey - are you kidding me ?
7. Tomic - he's the future
8. Tsonga - still injured

LawrenceOfTennis
06-06-2011, 03:52 PM
My favorite player is Ryan Harrison along with Del Potro. Harrison just lost his 1st round at Queens Club, and considering his best surface is grass, this is a terrible loss to an old german no-talent guy. I also like Dimitrov, but to be honest he hasn't done any significant on atp level yet (maybe today he has a shot against Bellucci). I think it's a pity that tennis fans celebrate a single win for these kids like they'd just won a masters title (me as well....). Tomic is also a mental midget just like Harrison or Dimitrov. Tennis has no future for the next couple of years after Nadal and his generation burned out. :confused:

finishingmove
06-06-2011, 03:56 PM
the djokovic machine will be working the circuit in the next couple of years

Luinir
06-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Djokovic is the best by far.

ballbasher101
06-06-2011, 04:03 PM
My favorite player is Ryan Harrison along with Del Potro. Harrison just lost his 1st round at Queens Club, and considering his best surface is grass, this is a terrible loss to an old german no-talent guy. I also like Dimitrov, but to be honest he hasn't done any significant on atp level yet (maybe today he has a shot against Bellucci). I think it's a pity that tennis fans celebrate a single win for these kids like they'd just won a masters title (me as well....). Tomic is also a mental midget just like Harrison or Dimitrov. Tennis has no future for the next couple of years after Nadal and his generation burned out. :confused:

There is always someone out there. I bet most people were in despair when Sampras retired and then came Federer and Nadal. We did have hewitt but that was only for around 2 years luckily. I like Tomic but he needs to work on his movement a lot because at this level poor movement= no success.

misty1
06-06-2011, 04:05 PM
even after nadal and federer leave djokovic, del potro and murray will be around and will probably take the place of federer/nadal in a 3 way reign of dominince

i really dont think there's anyone coming up or around at this moment that will stop that from happening

so what i expect is a bunch of players ..maybe 6 or 7 of them hanging around and waiting for murray.djokovic and del potro to be done..

in short i dont think any of the young talent will do anything big any time soon

Filo V.
06-06-2011, 04:07 PM
The only guys who can be considered "young generation" from this list are Tomic............yeah, just Tomic. Maybe Cilic and Querrey, who are still quite young. The rest have been around for a long time and are in their mid-20s.