Queens R1: Ward def Cox 6-3 6-1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Queens R1: Ward def Cox 6-3 6-1

StevoTG
06-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Nice win for James :)

jmf07
06-06-2011, 02:49 PM
What is this thread doing in the Nadal/Federer/Djokovic tard forum?

Audacity
06-06-2011, 02:50 PM
^ :lol:

Good work Ward.

StevoTG
06-06-2011, 02:56 PM
:lol:

He has a few points to defend on the grass courts after winning a couple of rounds at Eastbourne last year. Wawrinka up next which should be the end of the road but it could be a good one.

Nathaliia
06-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Well, generous draw to the very least, but I remember Ward is a pleasant to watch guy on the grass surface. He also didn't have big luck bumping into Tursunov at the challenger last week but almost snatched a set.

jmjhb
06-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Wardy hasn't had a great year so far, hopefully he can push on from here.

Champion number 1
06-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Really a pointless match in a ATP main tournament event. Ward will probably get slammed by Wawrinka now though I hope he gives his best shot :)

Filo V.
06-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Cox is known for having a big serve, right? It's interesting to see how he routinely gets demolished in challenger/rare ATP events.

Good win for Ward. I can see him upsetting Stan.

Snowwy
06-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Really a pointless match in a ATP main tournament event. Ward will probably get slammed by Wawrinka now though I hope he gives his best shot :)

Ward could do alright I think.

Henry Chinaski
06-06-2011, 04:10 PM
good win for the working class hero

misty1
06-06-2011, 04:10 PM
was it ward that made the QF here last year upsetting lopez and shuettler along the way?

ApproachShot
06-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Fortunately it was plain sailing for my local boy, James Dino Ward.

Champion number 1
06-06-2011, 04:37 PM
was it ward that made the QF here last year upsetting lopez and shuettler along the way?

Ward lost to ginepri in R1 last year. Anyway he is a decent challenger player. Hopefully can get well into the top 200 and play well in Davis Cup for GB to get them at least back to Europe top group and challenge in world play-offs

misty1
06-06-2011, 04:39 PM
did he? what tournament is it that he had that run then?

Sapeod
06-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Schuettler reached the quarter-finals last year. Ward won a few matches in Eastbourne, which is next week.

Ward could give Wawrinka a good fight I think. 7-5 6-4 maybe.

misty1
06-06-2011, 04:43 PM
oh okay, thanks. i knew he had a run around this time last year i just couldnt remember when

Fujee
06-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Ward could do alright I think.

Man i just love your avatar.. :D

wlodar
06-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Cox is known for having a big serve, right?

Filo, Cox is super fast offensive counter-puncher without massive serve.

Sapeod
06-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Filo, Cox is super fast offensive counter-puncher without massive serve.
Yeah, Ward has a much bigger serve than Cox.

Filo V.
06-06-2011, 05:34 PM
OK, thanks. I guess I'm thinking of someone else. Name escapes me, though.

I need to see these younger Brits. The only ones I've truly seen are Evans and the two Ward's. Hopefully one of these guys start showing some more at the challenger level.

Sapeod
06-06-2011, 05:39 PM
OK, thanks. I guess I'm thinking of someone else. Name escapes me, though.

I need to see these younger Brits. The only ones I've truly seen are Evans and the two Ward's. Hopefully one of these guys start showing some more at the challenger level.
Eaton?

You should've seen Golding against Mahut today. He was pretty good. Only broken twice (which is the reason he lost, though) but he kept fighting. He has a pretty big serve and a good ground game.

vn01
06-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Nid

Filo V.
06-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Eaton, that's it, thank you Mr. Life. Yeah, he's the one with the big serve, but he always gets beaten easily in the matches I see in challengers.

Golding played a nice match, he's got a nice game. He has a technically sound style.

Sapeod
06-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Eaton, that's it, thank you Mr. Life. Yeah, he's the one with the big serve, but he always gets beaten easily in the matches I see in challengers.

Golding played a nice match, he's got a nice game. He has a technically sound style.
Eaton is best on grass and fast hardcourt. I don'ty see him losing badly that often. Occasionaly, his serve can crash though. He served 4 consecutive double faults to open a match and that was the only time he was broken the entire match...he lost. Also, his ground game isn't good. He serves and volleys and if that doesn't work, he's doomed.

I can see Golding as a miniature backup for Muzza in the future, meaning he can be top 50-100 player who can backup Andy in Davis Cup and other tournaments. His game is good enough. He's done well on clay, so he can do well on all surfaces.

Filo V.
06-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Eaton is best on grass and fast hardcourt. I don'ty see him losing badly that often. Occasionaly, his serve can crash though. He served 4 consecutive double faults to open a match and that was the only time he was broken the entire match...he lost. Also, his ground game isn't good. He serves and volleys and if that doesn't work, he's doomed.

I can see Golding as a miniature backup for Muzza in the future, meaning he can be top 50-100 player who can backup Andy in Davis Cup and other tournaments. His game is good enough. He's done well on clay, so he can do well on all surfaces.

No, his ground game isn't very good at all, he's very slow from the baseline, but he doesn't rally much. He's all serve. I see him losing pretty badly quite regularly at challengers but that may just be a couple of matches that have stuck in my head.

Golding has a nice game and he's only 17 so time is on his side. I like his backhand and he's got good serve potential. I can see why he's done well on clay, he's got a whippy forehand and he's solid. I can see him doing well in the future, better than Evans who seems to get a lot of attention.

Champion number 1
06-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Evans hasn't done anything at all.

Why have they not put Ward on the main court tomorrow? He's playing a top player and the only Brit playing singles tomorrow yet he's stuck out on a crap court.

Pipsy
06-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Don't get used to this kind of result...

This will be the only British win on the main tour outside of Andy Murray until Chris Eaton makes his surprise run to the Wimbledon semis!