How will Djokovic react in the post-streak season? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How will Djokovic react in the post-streak season?

Sri
06-05-2011, 06:29 AM
By the end of today, either Rafa (more likely) or Roger (less likely) will get all the glory, praise and adulation.

However they both know that Novak, by far, has been more superior in the first half of the season. Novak will be hoping that Roger somehow wins and he can at least secure the #1 ranking as validation for his incredible run.

Now that the pressure of the streak is over, how would Djokovic react. He seemed to thrive under the pressure and was playing better than anyone apart from an ultra aggressive Federer in the semis.

Will be play just as well in Wimbledon heading on to the American fast hard court season? Or will the drop in pressure lead to a drop in his level of play only picking it up in the USO.

The #1 ranking is within grasp and that has to be a huge motivation for Djokovic. Even if Rafa wins RG, he still has to defend the USO and Wimbledon. Novak has a great chance of becoming #1 and staying #1 by year end if he pulls off one more slam - most likely the USO.

Thoughts?

Mr. Oracle
06-05-2011, 06:49 AM
By the end of today, either Rafa (more likely) or Roger (less likely) will get all the glory, praise and adulation.

However they both know that Novak, by far, has been more superior in the first half of the season. Novak will be hoping that Roger somehow wins and he can at least secure the #1 ranking as validation for his incredible run.

Now that the pressure of the streak is over, how would Djokovic react. He seemed to thrive under the pressure and was playing better than anyone apart from an ultra aggressive Federer in the semis.

Will be play just as well in Wimbledon heading on to the American fast hard court season? Or will the drop in pressure lead to a drop in his level of play only picking it up in the USO.

The #1 ranking is within grasp and that has to be a huge motivation for Djokovic. Even if Rafa wins RG, he still has to defend the USO and Wimbledon. Novak has a great chance of becoming #1 and staying #1 by year end if he pulls off one more slam - most likely the USO.

Thoughts?

An ultra agressive Federer + an ultra aggressive crowd = a tight and tough win. Give credit where credit is due. Few players in any sport could withstand that type of hostility and bias except for maybe rafa, but rafa is the son of Zeus so its not entirely relative.

With respect to what the near future holds for the falcon, his professionalism has obviously increased a great deal over the last 6 months and I do not forsee those dips of dejection or inconsistency as in the past.

Sri
06-05-2011, 06:52 AM
Not sure about the crowd. Davis cup has seen far worse and far more hostile crowds. Plus this is Nole, he's dissed Roddick @ the USO and gotten away with it. He's far more mentally tougher than we give him credit.

The only time he looked rattled was in the 2nd set when he kept on looking up at his box.

Mr. Oracle
06-05-2011, 07:12 AM
Not sure about the crowd. Davis cup has seen far worse and far more hostile crowds. Plus this is Nole, he's dissed Roddick @ the USO and gotten away with it. He's far more mentally tougher than we give him credit.

The only time he looked rattled was in the 2nd set when he kept on looking up at his box.

You do realize that the very next match against Federer (USO semi), Novak was in mental shambles? Everyone noticed it. After he won the second set he walked off the court in zombie fashion because few cheered and he realized the crowd was completely indifferent to him. He went through the motions that match but put in no real effort. He is tougher now but not invulnerable as is nadal. What irks me most is that Federer did not motion the crowd to tone it down a bit yesterday, in the name of sportsmanship. Not surpised that he shrugged off Novak's overrule of the service fault. Was disappointed to see novak embrace the wanker at the net after the match; should have put him in a friendly head lock and told him that he'll hand him his balls the next time they meet; that's typically what a Federer post match interview sounds like when he loses (if you read between the lines).

Sri
06-05-2011, 07:19 AM
What irks me most is that Federer did not motion the crowd to tone it down a bit yesterday, in the name of sportsmanship.
Maybe Nole shouldn't time waste or fake injuries in the name of sportsmanship ..

The crowd had a favorite, its not the first time, won't be the last either ..

As a pro, Nole shouldn't let it bother him as much as you think it does, watch Nadal be completely oblivious to the crowd and win today! :-)

MIMIC
06-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Go undefeated until the U.S. Open semi-finals.

But seriously, I think he might make the semis of Wimbledon again (getting beaten by Federer or Nadal), clean up the U.S. hardcourt season and perhaps make the U.S. Open final.

The loss was probably good for him and I figure that he'll use it positively like he did with last year's U.S. Open final loss and not sulk and go into a slump a la Murray.

LawrenceOfTennis
06-05-2011, 07:23 AM
How many more threads about Djokovic and his streak? :facepalm:

Arakasi
06-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Go undefeated until the U.S. Open semi-finals.

But seriously, I think he might make the semis of Wimbledon again (getting beaten by Federer or Nadal), clean up the U.S. hardcourt season and perhaps make the U.S. Open final.

The loss was probably good for him and I figure that he'll use it positively like he did with last year's U.S. Open final loss and not sulk and go into a slump a la Murray.

Perhaps? You think he'll win both masters but you're aren't sure of him making the final of the Open? :scratch:

I don't think he'll win in both Montreal and Cincy. Maybe one win and a final/semi. Murray has owned Montreal/Toronto for the past two years and Roger has won Cincy twice on the trot as well so I don't know why you're so sure he'll win both of them.

I don't think losing the streak will affect him much. I think what's more important is that he'll face a bit more competition in the rest of the season. On clay his only big opposition was Nadal. On slow hardcourts he is the best. For the rest of the season though there will be a few more danger players for him. Murray, Del Potro and Federer all tend to do well in the US Open series.

tests
06-05-2011, 07:47 AM
You do realize that the very next match against Federer (USO semi), Novak was in mental shambles? Everyone noticed it. After he won the second set he walked off the court in zombie fashion because few cheered and he realized the crowd was completely indifferent to him. He went through the motions that match but put in no real effort. He is tougher now but not invulnerable as is nadal. What irks me most is that Federer did not motion the crowd to tone it down a bit yesterday, in the name of sportsmanship. Not surpised that he shrugged off Novak's overrule of the service fault. Was disappointed to see novak embrace the wanker at the net after the match; should have put him in a friendly head lock and told him that he'll hand him his balls the next time they meet; that's typically what a Federer post match interview sounds like when he loses (if you read between the lines).

calm down buddy, calm down. I have noticed you have been posting a lot of fed hate posts lately. Why should fed motion for the crowd to tone down... that is the umpires job. And btw, don't you think the crowd has a RIGHT to cheer for whomever they want? Is it fed's fault that the crowd cheered for him instead of nole?

And for the sake of tennis, NOLE PLEASE KEEP UP THIS LEVEL! Lets not act like Nole didn't have his chances in his match against Fed. Like a ton of their matches could have gone either way...

siffleanimaux
06-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Perhaps? You think he'll win both masters but you're aren't sure of him making the final of the Open? :scratch:

I don't think he'll win in both Montreal and Cincy. Maybe one win and a final/semi. Murray has owned Montreal/Toronto for the past two years and Roger has won Cincy twice on the trot as well so I don't know why you're so sure he'll win both of them.

I don't think losing the streak will affect him much. I think what's more important is that he'll face a bit more competition in the rest of the season. On clay his only big opposition was Nadal. On slow hardcourts he is the best. For the rest of the season though there will be a few more danger players for him. Murray, Del Potro and Federer all tend to do well in the US Open series.

Slams would be so much harder than masters even though they have comparible fields (Masters probably harder since it's a smaller field even so you'd be facing tougher opponents earlier than slams) because people like to peak at majors, probably most notably Federer this year. He's failed to do anything significant during the clay-court season lead-up to the Roland Garros, yet he's played out of his mind against Novak. Similar to YEC.

That said, it's too early to predict anything. The most interesting thing will be to see how Djokovic recovers from his first loss of the season. So far, it doesn't look too good since Djokovic looked worried, a little lost and looked like he lacked in confidence during the semi-finals.

MIMIC
06-05-2011, 08:12 AM

I mistakenly grouped the U.S. hardcourt season with the season following the U.S. Open (Beijing, Shanghai, Paris, etc.) Nevertheless, although I said "sweep", I don't really MEAN sweep. Just careless wording on my part :) I think he'll do very well and probably win either Canada or Cincinnati and make the finals in the other (or semis, depending on which half of the draw Federer is on).

As for the U.S. Open, I'm lowering my expectations again. Djoker literally had a tremendous opportunity to win RG this year and couldn't find the ability to match his semi-final opponent. It was almost TOO easy; playing well below his form he managed to somehow stumble upon 2 set points in the 1st set but lost anyway. Maybe Djokovic erred in concentration but he certainly didn't rise to the occasion until the 3rd and 4th set which was ultimately too late. He cannot afford to do that against Federer and Nadal and maybe did that because of how well he was doing. It's probably a good lesson to learn for him.

Psychologically, I think he'll be fine. I don't think he felt too pressured during the streak and I doubt he'll feel any additional pressure after.

But who knows. These things are so hard to predict and things can change in an instant. Still, it's fun to guess :cool:

tennizen
06-05-2011, 08:38 AM
He should be fine. A bit unfortunate that the streak took him all the way to later stages of a second slam. Too tough to keep it up along with everything else and Federer knew that going into the match. If not Federer, Rafa would have ended it in the final most probably.

Most likely result at Wimbledon is SF and if he gets lucky, probably final. And he will still be the man to beat at all the summer hard court tournaments.

Legend
06-05-2011, 09:17 AM
He should be fine. A bit unfortunate that the streak took him all the way to later stages of a second slam. Too tough to keep it up along with everything else and Federer knew that going into the match. If not Federer, Rafa would have ended it in the final most probably.

Most likely result at Wimbledon is SF and if he gets lucky, probably final. And he will still be the man to beat at all the summer hard court tournaments.

Nadal would be scared of him and would probably lose in the final,but he is not scared of Federer and will probably win this one so I think that he would win RG if there was no Fed in semis :D

vn01
06-05-2011, 09:20 AM
the loss will certainly affect him. i don't expect a very good grasscourt season(he won't win Wimbledon, maybe even won't reach the final), but from the US hardcourt season on, djokovic will find his great form back and will be the main favourite for the us open.

Sonja1989
06-05-2011, 10:58 AM
the loss will certainly affect him.

I don't think.

He wins Wimbledon, Canada, Cincinnati, US Open, Beijing, Shanghai, Basel, Paris and WTF. Oh and Davis Cup too. Sorry if I forgot something. :p

But seriously, I'm sure he will continue this high level.

LawrenceOfTennis
06-05-2011, 11:02 AM
I don't think.

He wins Wimbledon, Canada, Cincinnati, US Open, Beijing, Shanghai, Basel, Paris and WTF. Oh and Davis Cup too. Sorry if I forgot something. :p

But seriously, I'm sure he will continue this high level.

:haha: I hope you only kdding Sonja. Do you seriously think he will win Wimbledon,USO and all those masters?WTF? Davis Cup?
No way.

Sonja1989
06-05-2011, 11:05 AM
:haha: I hope you only kdding Sonja. Do you seriously think he will win Wimbledon,USO and all those masters?WTF? Davis Cup?
No way.

What do you think? :p Of course. :angel:

But he wins Beijing 100% sure. ;)

Sham Kay
06-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Well.

zlaja777
06-05-2011, 12:02 PM
He'll be fine and keep on dominating especially when hard courts season starts.

coonster14
06-05-2011, 12:13 PM
He will be fine, the streak had to end sometime, 43 consecutive matches won is just incredible, just a pity he didnt play his best tennis until the 3rd set of the SF against Roger (by then, it was too late), but I don't see him winning Wimbledon, most likely a SF there.

I think he might set his sights on getting one step further at the USO this year (it's been his most consistent grand slam in terms of results for the last 4 years, F SF SF F), I hope he wins there this year.

Nole's dream of being world number 1 is so close, waiting for that day I see '1' next to his name. :)

ossie
06-05-2011, 12:22 PM
he will just start another one but this one wont be as long though because i dont see him beating rafa on grass. the hardcourt season will be djoker steamrolling through every1 again, that is until delpo is fully back.

Time Violation
06-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Yup, much better chance to continue his form on hardcourts, but who knows? He could get some kind of a clown draw at Wimby that would catapult him into the final stages and then anything is possible :lol:

MaxPower
06-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Yes he will now lose to Donald Young and Bogomolov and alike after his devastating slam loss.

No seriously he will be his old self but if he loses (to anyone the coming months) the sports psychology experts at MTF will read in the end of the streak as the big reason. :bs:

buzz
06-05-2011, 01:09 PM
he will still comfortable play at top three level. Don't know if he will be better than Nadal and Federer, that also depends on Nadal, Federer and the surface.

AncicCilic
06-05-2011, 01:10 PM
I don't think his confidence will be hit just yet, he probably feels relief more then anything right now.
Perhaps if he is to loose in Wimbledon quite early (for example before the semis) it might hit him more then this since that's his favourite tournament and his dream is to win it. He might feel as though "if not this year when i'm playing brilliant then when? I'll never win it". Something like that could damage him.

FerrerAndNadal
06-05-2011, 01:20 PM
He will still play at a high level, but the mental advantage will be gone. He was riding such a wave of confidence and the way it ended getting beaten in the French Open semis, One short of tying John's record, 1 short of number 1 ranking(hopefully), and not loseing a lucky match, not Fed flunking out a win, but Federer really taking it to Novak and showing him why he's Roger Federer. I think the manner in which he lost is greatly effective.

The aura of invincibility around him is partially gone. Players will have more belief against him, you won't be seeing Novak "the baker" Djokovic quite as often. He'll probably play as well, he'll probably play slightly better than his norm. And there definitely won't be all the talk about him and the streak which eases some pressures I'm sure.

That said it has been an incredible run.

Ububub
06-05-2011, 01:26 PM
The past six months has been an EXCEPTION to the modis operandi of Novak Djokovic, so there is no guarantee that his exceptional play will continue. We all saw a return of his heavy breathing, face-making and anger at the crowd's non-support in Friday's match. All that was missing was his retirement at the end of the second set and his return to normal would have been complete.

thegreendestiny
06-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Probably cried himself to sleep.

BULLZ1LLA
06-05-2011, 01:38 PM
(Djokovic will do the same as Agassi did after Sampras at the US Open halted his 26 game winning streak, drop to 140 in the world. This one is even worse than the Agassi situation actually, longer streak and worse because Djokovic has never won the French Open, while Agassi had already won the US Open previously. After the loss, Agassi didn't win a slam again until 1999)

Time Violation
06-05-2011, 01:59 PM
(I pray to God every day Djokovic will do the same as Agassi did after Sampras at the US Open halted his 26 game winning streak, drop to 140 in the world. This one is even worse than the Agassi situation actually, longer streak and worse because Djokovic has never won the French Open, while Agassi had already won the US Open previously. After the loss, Agassi didn't win a slam again until 1999)

Fixed :p

Diprosalic
06-05-2011, 02:21 PM
i personally think that he will go back to his usual no.3 form. meaning winning a couple tournaments, going out in QF or SF in Wimby and beeing a threat in the USO.

hiperborejac
06-05-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm actually more worried what will happen once when he get No.1... I'm afraid that reaching his lifetime goal would affect him negatively - less focus on tennis and more enjoy life :) Although Wimby is also one of his carier goals, so I hope he will hold in tennis top at least till he win it ;) And we all know how hard will it be for him given that grass is his worst surface.

Time Violation
06-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Well, seeing how much he was slipping and losing balance in the last match, I guess it can't be worse than that :lol:

rocketassist
06-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Quarter-final exit at Wimbledon to someone who can make him run around on a surface he moves like a mong on.

But back on the hardcourts he'll probably win one of the TMS and be in the USO final.

Benny Blanco
06-05-2011, 05:33 PM
How many more threads about Djokovic and his streak? :facepalm:

As many as possible.The guy deserved it,it was simply stunning achievement.

Benny Blanco
06-05-2011, 06:00 PM
(Djokovic will do the same as Agassi did after Sampras at the US Open halted his 26 game winning streak, drop to 140 in the world. This one is even worse than the Agassi situation actually, longer streak and worse because Djokovic has never won the French Open, while Agassi had already won the US Open previously. After the loss, Agassi didn't win a slam again until 1999)

Buahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahaha.

Nole Rules
06-05-2011, 06:21 PM
He won't lose to Nadal again. That's what i am sure about.:shrug:
In-form Delpo, Fed, Soderling are the only ones that a i see him lose to even if he played well.

yesh222
06-05-2011, 06:23 PM
I won't predict individual tournaments because that has too many variable right now, but I think Nole keeps his confidence from this streak and keeps on playing incredibly moving forward.

Alex999
06-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Novak will be just fine. Regardless of the fact that he lost against Roger in semis, He has accomplished so much this year (7 titles, 1 GS, 4 masters).