WWW: Junior final: Fratangelo(USA) vs Thiem(AUT) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

WWW: Junior final: Fratangelo(USA) vs Thiem(AUT)

out_here_grindin
06-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Surprisng run to the final for American Bjorn Fratangelo. One of the top Americans at the moment. Thought he was alock for college tennis but this run may make him look at jumping straight to the pros.

Do';t know much about Thiem.

who will win?

GugaF1
06-03-2011, 10:05 PM
How do you feel the top level of US college tennis translates into the Pros? At best small challenger event I would say. There is a player that I really like From Brazil playing at Duke Henrique Cunha, he has been having great seasons there. I am curious to see how it will translate into the Pros.

out_here_grindin
06-03-2011, 10:13 PM
The very top players in college can make an impact in the pros. For instance Steve Johnson will be a top 100 player. Shabaz also has a chance due to his hish risk game. Devvarman dominated in college and is finally making strides in the ATP. But many topish players (like 5-20) don't make a huge impact. Players like Strode and Daescu.

Cunha was very sharp his freshman year at Duke. He was the #1 seed in the individuals. He wasn't as good this year. He is a small guy, very quick and crafty with the left handed (I saw him play in person once). He remins me a lot of Arnau Beugues-Davi, who is around the 200's right now. Brugues-Davi was also a crafty lefty who's craft was able to beat many college players but didn't have the firepower to do that well in the ATP. I see Cunha the same. His game isn't powerful enough, he would greatly need to improve his consistency to make it higher than 200.

Really its all about how their game translates. Farah was not a dominant force in college but has made better strides than those who were better in college. Top college players are not much worse than the best ITF juniors(Farah killed Mina not long ago)

dombrfc
06-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Dont be silly, most on MTF dont know and dont care.

GugaF1
06-03-2011, 10:52 PM
I agree with you, the thing I like a lot about Cunha is intelligence. But you are right he will need to sharp on his weapons or else is quite hard to climb the ladder to the top 100 or so. He impressed me this year againt Mello at the Sao Paulo Challenget, altgough he lost, he had a very comptetive set with good shot making. And Mello is just unbeatable on that Challenger for the last years.