RG SF: Nadal def. Muzza 6-4 7-5 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

RG SF: Nadal def. Muzza 6-4 7-5 6-4

Ben.
06-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Scrappy match, lots of wasted BPs for Murray.

Rafa through to his 6th final.

Vamos_Me_Rafa
VAMOS RAFA!!!! :)

You are the greatest, win the title. :)

william_renshaw
Murray BPs 3/18...

LleytonMonfils
06-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Rafa jumping up like a little girl. Someone tell him he has 1 more to go.

azinna
Solid B+ from Rafa.

If conditions remain the same, it may actually be enough to win the tournament...

EliSter
Pathetic from Mugray.

philosophicalarf
Murray will get shit for the bp stats, but tbh, he did nothing wrong on most of them. Nadal was superb on bps, much more aggressive than normal, and Murray can't counterpunch on clay.

It's a good effort overall by Murray for me. His worst surface, and the wind neuters his service advantage and makes an attacking game much harder. He's also playing with a torn ankle tendon, and hasn't been able to practice since last Saturday. Oh, and he's playing Nadal, at Roland Garros.

tennizen
Rafa: "Djokovic or Federer is the favorite for the title,no?"

Murray played as much as can be expected. Pathetic on bps though.

SheepleBuster
Tennis lost either way today. And hopefully, this will be Rafa's last match in a final.

martyn
Expected result really, although Muzza should really have taken at least 1 set considering all his wasted BP's.

tennis2tennis
Murray BPs 3/18...

he's beyond roger's territory!

Certinfy
Murray on break points :help: :tape:

buzz
06-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Rafa very good on the important points. Murray troubled more by the wind.

Clydey
Murray needs to take this routine on the road. One man show of him just wasting break points. Extremeely comical and would kill at the Comedy Store.

Patchy, patchy match. Murray's problem is the same as it has always been. He does not play well on the big points against Nadal.

Action Jackson
Great break point conversion by Murray.

Nadal, got to respect how average he has been in this event, yet still made the final comfortably.

ssin
Congrats Rafa on your 6th final. Murray deserved at least a set there.

Topspindoctor
Clay GOAT too good. Mugray has no place in RG semi. Too bad Troicki didn't take him out, he made Nadal work for over 3 hours.

UsD.AnDreS
In the beginning I was a bit worried about Murray's BP conversion... then I got a bit irritated.. then I started really enjoying it because it was the only thing to watch up there.

tangerine_dream
Murray gift-wraps himself as a birthday gift to Rafa, so sweet. :inlove: :bdaycake:

Great reaction from Rafa but he'll have to play a lot better if he faces Novak in the final.

If he faces Roger, well then, congrats to him on tieing Borg's record! :hatoff:

OnyxRose
This match sucked hardcore. Let the real match commence.

ImmzB
Vamos Rafa!! :woohoo:

Chris Kuerten
06-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Pretty sad a clay court clown like Murray reached the semi's...

Deivid23
Good stuff from both as the match went further. Well done

ExcaliburII
Some people here are blind or what? This was a very good match. Murray played one of the best matches of his life and Rafa was just too good. Dont understand if you actually watch the match or just follow the scoreboard...

foul_dwimmerlaik
There's only one word for that - NID.

SheepleBuster
Who is the punk doing the interview? Frenglish is orgasmic, I have to say

MIMIC
06-03-2011, 03:39 PM
NID.

Let the next slaughter commence in semi-final #2 :devil:

homogenius
3/18 on BP for Andy :spit: Mental giant :facepalm:

chalkdust
OK level of play from Andy, but he must find a way to sort his head out, else he will stay slamless. Horrible match to watch really, with Rafa's endless moonballing.

Nr 1 Fan
This match went exactly how I had expected: lots of chances for Murray, but failing on the big points.

Just like his previous matches against Nadal.

Sonja1989
Well done Rafa! :worship: Quite good match, he plays getting better from match to match here.

:woohoo:

mystic ice cube
Nadal too good today, great effort from Murray though, he never gave up. Rafa was incredible on the big points, never gave Murray a chance too work with something when he was facing a break.

rafa_maniac
06-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Horrible match, just horrible from both. Only reason Rafa won in straights is because he played his best stuff BP down and Murray clowned them all away. Seriously, he converted 3 of 19 and at least one was a DF gift, can't remember the other two.

I think either winner of the second semi should be expected to win the final on sunday, but Rafa will still have his shot if it's against Fed.

chammer44
Murray groundies just impotent on clay.

Clydey
Some people here are blind or what? This was a very good match. Murray played one of the best matches of his life and Rafa was just too good. Dont understand if you actually watch the match or just follow the scoreboard...

One of the best matches of his life? He wasn't bad in general, but come on. He was horrific on the big points.

Voo de Mar
Totally expected scoreline :zzz:

iriraz
The crowd was probably relieved at the end,that it finished.3 hours+ for 3 sets,can`t imagine how long it would have taken for 5 sets.The other semi surely wouldn`t have finished today

delboy
murray was shit..nadull was there for the taking

Sham Kay
Nadal really upped his game whenever he was down in games, and have to give credit for that. BP conversion for Murray obviously not good, but didn't seem capable of taking a set anyway in all honesty.

Still played very well.. maybe the best he's played all tournament, no shame losing to the better player here.

Grass should be good for Andy, and good luck to Rafito in the Final.

SheepleBuster
US TV: the biggest a** holes I have seen. NBC... you suck. I don't get Tennis Channel and had to scramble to catch pieces of this match. What losers are American TV stations.

Filo V.
06-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Rafa played I think his best match of the event today, given the situation, opponent and conditions. He hit the ball with better depth today than any of his other matches (bar Veic which was a cakewalk). He was aggressive when he needed to be, served aggressively at the right times and didn't make too many bad errors. Also his intensity and focus was there for the entire match. I'm pleased with the performance.

MaxPower
Murray won't get a draw like this again. There is a reason he's never been in a clay final. Nadal didn't impress me. Gave up so many BPs. Looks nothing like 2008/2010.

born_on_clay
3-0 if I played batch match, no ? ;)
Congrats Rafa :hatoff:

Nr 1 Fan
06-03-2011, 03:42 PM

Not even close.

Vamos_Me_Rafa
06-03-2011, 03:42 PM
US TV: the biggest a** holes I have seen. NBC... you suck. I don't get Tennis Channel and had to scramble to catch pieces of this match. What losers are American TV stations.

Seriously!! It's another 2 hours until NBC and their "live" coverage kicks on. :o

GhostUnholy
06-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Rafa played I think his best match of the event today, given the situation, opponent and conditions. He hit the ball with better depth today than any of his other matches (bar Veic which was a cakewalk). He was aggressive when he needed to be, served aggressively at the right times and didn't make too many bad errors. Also his intensity and focus was there for the entire match. I'm pleased with the performance.

Yeah he was better today but the BH is thoroughly average, and he's making uncharacteristic easy errors

shadows
Prime example of why only delusional Murray fanboys expect him to win Grand Slams at this point of his career. Utterly woeful on the big points, both on his serve and on Rafa's. 3 of 18 bp's vs your opponents 6 of 13 speaks for itself.

The match was farcical at times, though you can put that down to the wind if you want. Nadal played some good points but was still patchy, fortunately for him he had Murray on the other side of the court.

ExcaliburII
Yes it was. Finally he hit the ball like a man. He had no chance at all though. This proves why Murray will never ever win a slam.

vn01
good stuff from rafa. he played solid, was more concentrated in the crucial moments, especially in the first two sets. In the 3rd Murray didn't give up, but andy still hasn't got the skills and weapons to beat Nadal on the red dirt. VAMOS!

Filo V.
I respect Murray a bit more today than I did yesterday, he had a gameplan and looked to execute it to the best of his abilities, but he simply wasn't able to keep it up for extended periods, plus of course he had Nadal on the other side of the net. He fought hard and gave a good effort, and didn't get too down on himself even when behind.

GSMnadal
Yes Rafa! Yes! Not the best match, but got the job done in straights. This match had me very worried once it got started, lots of breaks, or at least opportunities, which was to be expected with these 2 players.

But great to see Rafa in the final again. And now I'm going sit back and relax, and hopefully see Novak and Roger fighting it out in an epic for that final spot.

Javier Bardem
06-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Nadal wasn't that great but I expect him to be much better in the final

Start da Game
birthday greetings from Start da Game the great to Clay God the greatest fighter in the history of tennis.......

Nr 1 Fan
One of the best matches of his life? He wasn't bad in general, but come on. He was horrific on the big points.

This. I am getting worried about Andy losing this close matches because of his bad play on the key points, it must have an influence on his confidence.

Sunset of Age
06-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Very scrappy match, improved in quality nearing the end though. I'll be very surprised if Djoko - assuming it's him to be the opponent on Sunday - won't lower the hammer on all of Rafa's short balls. Anyways, reaching the final again, great result for Rafa, considering that his level of playing has never been above mediocre during most of the tournament.

Murray... o_O. Yes of course, there are excuses - the wind, the ankle injury, but what's the point of creating 18 BPs if you barely are able to convert any? Much too passive most of the time, and his body language looked just awful.
Ah well, a semi in the clay court slam - not bad is it? :)

homogenius

mmm no

Priam
I think it was Murray's best match ever on CLAY. No shame in losing to Nadal here. The draw finally caught up with him.

Rest the ankle and be ready for Queens/Wimby.

Johnny_Bravo
Rafa jumping up like a little girl. Someone tell him he has 1 more to go.

:lol:

+1

iriraz
06-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Nadal was 6/13 on BP`s but i think he broke pretty much in every game he had at least one chance

Filo V.
06-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Yeah he was better today but the BH is thoroughly average, and he's making uncharacteristic easy errors

He's making some bad errors, especially when he tries to hits offensive forehands, particularly DTL FHs. I think his BH today was pretty good, he hit some good passing shots with it and he didn't dump it into the net over and over like he has been. He hit it pretty deep at times, but he's running around it more now to hit off-forehands. Can he get away with doing that in the finals v Nole/Fed, we'll see.

l_mac
Murray will get shit for the bp stats, but tbh, he did nothing wrong on most of them. Nadal was superb on bps, much more aggressive than normal, and Murray can't counterpunch on clay.

I think you underestimate the MTF posters.

Murray played as much as can be expected. Pathetic on bps though.

Murray on break points :help: :tape:

Murray needs to take this routine on the road. One man show of him just wasting break points. Extremeely comical and would kill at the Comedy Store.

Great break point conversion by Murray.

3/18 on BP for Andy :spit: Mental giant :facepalm:

:haha:

Vamos Rafa :D:wavey:

Pipsy
I don't know what you're all going on about. I quite enjoyed that match. Some gorgeous rallies and I think both players played about as well as could be reasonably expected given how they've played this tournament so far. Rafa was of course always favourite and he played the clutch points better than Murray, retrieving everything, keeping the ball at a safe length and then finishing off well.

Andy will hopefully look back at this tournament and realise that he did well to reach the semis given all the adversity he's faced this tournament despite a fortuitous draw. Plenty of positives for the next clay court season when hopefully he'll be fully fit once again and have a full-time coach. Of course there are negatives as well and he never really got to a high level consistently enough to match up well against the top 3, suffering losses of concentration at key moments in a few of his matches.

To put things into perspective, Rafa has an indomitable record at Roland Garros, with the exception of the Soderling match where he was at an all-time Roland Garros lowest form and Soderling was at a career form high! Murray's never had the best record on the red stuff and will hopefully be philosophical and not to down on himself for losing to the clay GOAT Nadal in 3 tight sets.

philosophicalarf
06-03-2011, 03:48 PM
This match went exactly how I had expected: lots of chances for Murray, but failing on the big points.

Just like his previous matches against Nadal.

Not true - the last match he had a problem with bps against Nadal was UO 2008 (4/20), and it hardly matters as he won that one.

Since then he's converted at 45.6% (8 matches).

By comparison, Djokovic is 40.5% all time vs Nadal, and (surprisingly) it's no better of late: last 4 matches 4/11, 5/12, 2/9, 5/8 (40%)

Federer is 36.0% career vs Nadal.

The tour average is 34% vs Nadal.

BULLZ1LLA
06-03-2011, 03:48 PM
(Murray's breakpoint conversion rate is almost as bad as Djokovic's breakpoint conversion rate in the US Open Final vs Rafa, but it's nothing to be ashamed of. Nobody has a mind as strong as Rafa's)

LoveFifteen
06-03-2011, 03:49 PM
It's not that hard to get the Tennis Channel. Either add it to your cable package for $5-10/month, or get DirecTV (or some other satellite provider). You can bundle DirecTV with your internet, or if you're lucky enough to live in an area with Verizon FIOS, you can get that.

I have Verizon DSL + DirecTV, and it's $90/month ... and that's with HDTV, a HD DVR player, Showtime/HBO premium channels, etc. If you forgo the HDTV, Showtime/HBO, DVR player, etc., it will cost even less. :shrug:

BroTree123
If Nole goes through in straight sets, Rafa is screwed in the final :sad::sad:

Ouragan
Mr Schiavone would have beaten any of these mugs today.

Johnny_Bravo
Yes it was. Finally he hit the ball like a man. He had no chance at all though. This proves why Murray will never ever win a slam.

strong words, considering the situation he's currently in

coachless, playing on clay where he's definitely not at his best,against nadal and not 100%

still believe he will claim a slam

chenx15
06-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Rafa's ability to win even on a bad day for him deserves all the credit and is a sign of the true champion. Murray you need balls to win my pathetic chump! At Rafa's current Level i think my dream that roger beating rafa in the RG final is goign to come true at last. I think this is what annacone and roger has been preparing for the style to defeat rafa on Red Beautiful earth

LawrenceOfTennis
06-03-2011, 03:52 PM
His name is Murray. Not Muzza. OMG somebody is retarded

ExcaliburII
06-03-2011, 03:52 PM
strong words, considering the situation he's currently in

coachless playing on clay, not 100% fit

i believe he will claim a slam

what odds do you give me no slam in next 5 years? Consider also 10% yearly interest.

Gagsquet
06-03-2011, 03:53 PM
congrats to the wind moral winner of the match

delboy

he was terrible. a fully fit murray playing his best would have won today.

Nr 1 Fan
Not true - the last match he had a problem with bps against Nadal was UO 2008 (4/20), and it hardly matters as he won that one.

Since then he's converted at 45.6% (8 matches).

By comparison, Djokovic is 40.5% all time vs Nadal, and (surprisingly) it's no better of late: last 4 matches 4/11, 5/12, 2/9, 5/8 (40%)

Federer is 36.0% career vs Nadal.

The tour average is 34% vs Nadal.

What I mean is that he always plays great against Nadal but just can't finish it off.

Monte carlo 2011: great first two sets, totally falling apart in the third.

WTF 2010: should have won the breaker.

I just seems he lacks of belief that he can really beat Nadal.

Johnny_Bravo
06-03-2011, 03:55 PM
what odds do you give me no slam in next 5 years? Consider also 10% yearly interest.

i dont give you shit :p

you're just sayin he won't ever win a slam and i said he will,period.

Nr 1 Fan
06-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Mr Schiavone would have beaten any of these mugs today.

:lol:

djb84xi
06-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Murray won't get a draw like this again. There is a reason he's never been in a clay final. Nadal didn't impress me. Gave up so many BPs. Looks nothing like 2008/2010.

Doesn't matter if he didn't play like '08 or 2010. The important thing is that he won the match. Everything else is irrelevant. Besides, despite being broken a couple of times, he really did play a solid match from start to finish. He doesn't always need his "A" game to win a match. Rafa wasn't anywhere near as "unimpressive" as you seem to believe.

ballbasher101
Oh dear. Murray lacked belief, he was never gonna win but should have taken a set. On to the grass we go Andy :). He will win a major one day, mark my words.

ExcaliburII
he was terrible. a fully fit murray playing his best would have won today.
:spit: 0 chance.

Dont forget Nadal is something like 60-1 on best of 5 on clay
i dont give you shit :p

you're just sayin he won't ever win a slam and i said he will,period.
Talk to you in some years then

blank_frackis
06-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Murray didn't convert his break points, but at the same time a windy Roland Garros is about as bad a situation as it gets for Murray against Nadal. The fact that he had so many break points in the first place is something. Probably a good sign for him if he runs into Nadal again at Wimbledon - there's only so many chances you can miss.

philosophicalarf
06-03-2011, 03:58 PM
What I mean is that he always plays great against Nadal but just can't finish it off.

Monte carlo 2011: great first two sets, totally falling apart in the third.

He was playing with a right elbow injury - they had to delay the start time because he needed a last minute injection to actually take to court. That numbed the elbow completely, and it wore off after 2 sets and his level fell off a cliff.

WTF 2010: should have won the breaker.

Or you could say his form was awful, he was playing like crap in the matches before, and still took Nadal to a 3rd set breaker.

He has knocked Nadal out of 2 slam semis, after all.

Today was Murray vs Nadal, on clay, with a torn ankle tendon, and in the wind (which clearly disfavours the stronger server, and favours the player with greater topspin).

How much chance did Murray have?

djb84xi
06-03-2011, 03:58 PM
If Nole goes through in straight sets, Rafa is screwed in the final :sad::sad:

Not necessarily.

NadalPhan
06-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Rafa: "Djokovic or Federer is the favorite for the title,no?"

lol

abraxas21
06-03-2011, 04:06 PM

still better than the 1/17 in the RG 2006 final

straitup
06-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Murray had so many chances :help: But Rafa did play well on a lot of them. You could just tell how the match was going to go in a few games in the first set...the 2-1 game lasted about 15 minutes it seemed, Murray had many chances but ended up losing the game. Then Nadal was up 5-1, then suddenly 5-4, and Murray seemed like he was going to ride some momentum to convert one of those break points but didn't. That could've changed the match, but alas Andy couldn't convert

Topspindoctor
06-03-2011, 04:07 PM

Funny thing Serverer still took the set after converting that BP.

anticaria
06-03-2011, 04:08 PM
rafa's now 11:0 at r garros after reaching the semis..

Clydey
06-03-2011, 04:10 PM
rafa's now 11:0 at r garros after reaching the semis..

Pretty random record.

l_mac
06-03-2011, 04:11 PM

Fed won a set 6-1 in 2006, so he converted more than 1 bp :wavey: He also broke when Rafa served for the match.

abraxas21
06-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Fed won a set 6-1 in 2006, so he converted more than 1 bp :wavey: He also broke when Rafa served for the match.

:rolleyes:

being the rafatard that you are, you know perfectly well which year i meant.

Ibracadabra
06-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Never in doubt, murray at 100% against kneedull at 10% on clay is a bye for rafa

philosophicalarf
06-03-2011, 04:15 PM
That was 07, 1/16bps for Fed.

Murray has a far better record at converting bps against Nadal than Fed does.

abraxas21
06-03-2011, 04:17 PM
That was 07, 1/16bps for Fed.

Murray has a far better record at converting bps against Nadal than Fed does.

1/17 :)

i just got the year wrong.

philosophicalarf
06-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Ouch.

Still, nothing beats Nadal vs the titan that is the Glorious Grass-Lord. Was it 1/26 in Bangkok?

These figures happen occasionally. I don't see Murray did much wrong on the bps, myself - would rip into him if he did. Nadal was just supreme on them.

Orka_n
06-03-2011, 04:22 PM

Just like his previous matches against Nadal.This. :zzz:

Foxy
06-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Happy Birthday Rafa! Vamos for the title!

Really well done so far. Only 2 sets lost. Upped the level in QF and SF. It was not an easy half section. Liking the chances for the final now.

abraxas21
06-03-2011, 04:23 PM
nadull had a pretty bad break point conversion rate against goat goat lópez in queen's last year

but he's generally quite solid at taking care of his break point chances... not like federer

philosophicalarf
06-03-2011, 04:29 PM
nadull had a pretty bad break point conversion rate against goat goat lópez in queen's last year

but he's generally quite solid at taking care of his break point chances... not like federer

Career bp conversion in the top10:

Nadal 44.8%
Ferre 44.6%
Djoko 44.1%
Murra 43.1%
Soder 42.7%
Feder 41.8%
Berdy 41.4%
Fishy 40.3%
Monfi 40.3%
Melze 40.2%

Clay matches obviously boost these %s cos returning is easier. This mainly helps Ferrer's figures, and hurts Fish's.

Of those who've played >40 matches at atp level, the highest is ...... Ivan Dodig! (46.2%).

Of >200, a more useful sample size, Nalby is dead level with Nadal, Delpot 44.0%, Davy 43.9%.

Surprising one: Troicki at 43.0% (esp. given he's not played much clay to boost his figures).

freeandlonely
06-03-2011, 04:32 PM
This match is a torture. Federer and Djokovic are playing real tennis.

missvarsha
06-03-2011, 04:34 PM
:banana: :banana: John Isner will be the only person to take a set of Nadal at FO '11 :banana: :banana:

abraxas21
06-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Career bp conversion in the top10:

Nadal 44.8%
Ferre 44.6%
Djoko 44.1%
Murra 43.1%
Soder 42.7%
Feder 41.8%
Berdy 41.4%
Fishy 40.3%
Monfi 40.3%
Melze 40.2%

Clay matches obviously boost these %s cos returning is easier. This mainly helps Ferrer's figures, and hurts Fish's.

then again, those are for his whole career.

in his prime years, federer wasn't bad at converting break points. however, in the past 2-3 seasons, his break point rate sucks donkey balls

ATP says he has converted 38% of his BP chances in his last 36 matches.

Foxy
06-03-2011, 04:37 PM
This match is a torture. Federer and Djokovic are playing real tennis.

Hey, mug, what do you mean by real tennis? Rafa's tennis is the real tennis. Vamos for the title!

peribsen
06-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Well, 6 finals in 7 RG entered is not bad at all. Rafa has played very poorly in the rounds, then raised his game against Sod; I expected him to do so even further against Andy, but I think he didn't really. Now his B+/A- game is good enough for dealing with the likes of Soderling and Murray, even Djoko before his recent metamorphosis, but I fear it won't be good enough against today's Djoko nor even Federer. To be safe against the Swiss, he needs his A game, against the Serb it better be his A+ one.

Still, this is clay played to the best of 5. If Rafa gets 1 of the first 2 sets, it could go his way in the end.

BTW, for me this match also settles another issue: Murray CAN be a worthy opponent on clay, no matter what his haters say. Wheteher he can raise it a couple of notches to actually winning is quite another issue, however.

nole_no1
06-03-2011, 04:39 PM
I watched only the first 2 sets and i really liked the match
Murray resisted better than i expected in the long rallies and he really managed to go for it in some moments (one thing i don't see very often from Murray) but his weakest weapon was his play at the net.Everytime he looked he'll finish the point after a good shot but then got to the net and got passed imediately
Nadal looked good but he also looked good in Madrid and Rome before the final :devil:
I don't like Murray and his style but in this match he looked to me like he really tryed to play his best.If he wouldn't be so sh*t at the BP he would definetly have won a set

acionescu
06-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Nice bday present that Rafa offered himself :) :aparty:

philosophicalarf
06-03-2011, 04:40 PM
then again, those are for his whole career.

in his prime years, federer wasn't bad at converting break points. however, in the past 2-3 seasons, his break point rate sucks donkey balls

ATP says he has converted 38% of his BP chances in his last 36 matches.

He's 41.4% over the last 12 months (which is more useful, since you get a balance of matches across all surfaces).

He was statistically a better returner in the past, although small differences. On the bps there hasn't been much change relative to that (can't consider them separately imo, eg Karlovic is 30.6% bps, but not cos he's a choker, he's just hopeless on return).

freeandlonely
06-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Hey, mug, what do you mean by real tennis? Rafa's tennis is the real tennis. Vamos for the title!

Gesus Maria Joseph, can't understand you guys.
Well, love and peace then.

abraxas21
06-03-2011, 05:00 PM
He's 41.4% over the last 12 months (which is more useful, since you get a balance of matches across all surfaces).

He was statistically a better returner in the past, although small differences. On the bps there hasn't been much change relative to that (can't consider them separately imo, eg Karlovic is 30.6% bps, but not cos he's a choker, he's just hopeless on return).

interesting. do you have fed's return points won rate over the last 12 months?

probly the best way to determine chokingness or clutchness in break points is to compare the break-point rate to the return-point rate.

Sapeod
06-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Not very good from Muzza. Very, very mediocre which allowed an also very mediocre Nadal get away with it. Nadal was certainly very lucky to have played this Muzza, instead of an in form one!

Semi-final though! Great tournament, Andy!!

philosophicalarf
06-03-2011, 05:09 PM
interesting. do you have fed's return points won rate over the last 12 months?

probly the best way to determine chokingness or clutchness in break points is to compare the break-point rate to the return-point rate.

Yes, agreed. I use this (and the same for bp save vs serve points won %). Gives me a "clutchiness" number. Not quite sure what to make of that, but it's worth considering.

The problem comes with guys who deliberately serve slow as a matter of course, and up the pace massively on bps. Gonzo looks like the clutchiest guy in history because of that.

I don't have an updated table for this, will generate it sometime.

Mjau!
06-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Rafa only won because of the corrupt ball, the unfair wind and Murray's ankle.

PandoraPandora
06-03-2011, 05:20 PM

It's a good effort overall by Murray for me. His worst surface, and the wind neuters his service advantage and makes an attacking game much harder. He's also playing with a torn ankle tendon, and hasn't been able to practice since last Saturday. Oh, and he's playing Nadal, at Roland Garros.

This sums it up for me.

Aenea
06-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Pretty sad a clay court clown like Murray reached the semi's...

Who else would have been better to face Rafa in the semis? Chela? Troicki? If someone like Fognini can make the QF at a GS :spit: why wouldn't a top player like Murray reach the semis? The fact is there are not many really good clay court players these days. Murray into the SF on clay is just all right.

Congrats and happy BD, Rafa! :)
Best of luck for the final!

Mjau!
06-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Nadal is just sooo lucky!

First his corrupt sponsor lets him pick RG ball.
Then he gets very easy draw when playing badly.
3) Hurricane ruins it for attacking player, giving Nadal unfair advantage.
4) Murray injures his ankle.
Then :cuckoo: Rogi beats or exhausts the one player who is clearly better than Rafa on clay.

peribsen
06-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Rafa only won because of the corrupt ball, the unfair wind and Murray's ankle.

Then :cuckoo: Rogi beats or exhausts the one player who is clearly better than Rafa on clay.

:zzz: (just a sour loser, as always)

Ben.
06-03-2011, 05:30 PM

I know right, will Nadal ever earn a fair victory in his entire career? With his luck he should be a pro gambler, no need to waste energy being an athlete.

Matt01
06-03-2011, 05:34 PM
:zzz: (just a sour loser, as always)

Sour loser and troll (as always).

Muzzatard :hearts:

Mjau!
06-03-2011, 05:52 PM
But he IS lucky :shrug: Surely you can agree that this is an objective position based on the facts presented in my previous posts?

(you are the troll, matt0!) :ras: :cuckoo:

Matt01
06-03-2011, 06:01 PM
But he IS lucky :shrug: Surely you can agree that this is an objective position based on the facts presented in my previous posts?

No.

"objective position based on the facts presented in my previous posts"? Don't make me laugh. Your crap had nothing to do with that.

Mjau!
06-03-2011, 06:33 PM
No.

"objective position based on the facts presented in my previous posts"? Don't make me laugh. Your crap had nothing to do with that.

What are you saying here? The reason I think he's lucky has nothing to do with reasons mentioned in those posts? :confused: :unsure: :scratch: :shrug:

jcempire
06-03-2011, 06:42 PM
What a match

luv_Nadals_balls
06-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Nadal played so damn well... I would hum Lady Gaga songs on his BALLS!

yesh222
06-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Murray played well. Rafa still wasn't at his best and beat a top 4 player playing well. Just shows how scary good he can be.

Mungo
06-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Expected. Murray can only beat Nadal on hardcourts and Nadal is a very bad matchup for him. H2H is 11-4 now. Wind spoiled the match a bit but Nadal played fine.

Saberq
06-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Murray had no chance playing the way he did.I mean the guy just played defense most of the time against Nadal on clay?Not gonna happen dude.But Nadal mate you should have played better regardless too many break points allowed..

Roddickominator
06-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Murray trying to push his way to a win over Nadal at RG :lol:

I saw little bits of this, and it looked like Rafa was ripping his backhand more than usual. That's a confidence shot for him, so he's gonna be very tough to beat if he feels comfortable doing that. Not that he needs to be great to beat Federer here anyway though.

Commander Data
06-03-2011, 08:47 PM

:haha:

Corey Feldman
06-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Murray only on 1 ankle and still had about 300 bp's against this utter moonball clown Kneedal :lol:

careergrandslam
06-03-2011, 09:27 PM
nadals backhand pisses me off.

what a horrible shot.

i cringe everytime he is about to hit a backhand expecting an error or shortball.

federer will eat him alive.

tennishero
06-03-2011, 09:44 PM
cakewalk draw came to an end, at least cabbage didnt predict him to win.

Arkulari
06-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Rafa is one match away from tying Borg and cementing his status as best claycourter ever :yeah:

fast_clay
06-03-2011, 10:03 PM
breaks my heart to see a muggy mugdal there for the taking only to see a rampant andy mugray mugging up a storm down the other end every break point...

muggay played pretty well throughout and was at times able to wrestle control of the match at various stages, much like in the match at monte carlo after the 1st... sometimes took control of parts of the match quite easily such is mugdals muggy state of mind...

but... when it came time to expose his testicular region to make good and convert on the pressure he had done very well to build, sadly time and time again the genitalia exposed would do well to rival the size of a f**king peanut...

you nutless sack of sh!t

f**k off

Mungo
06-04-2011, 12:25 AM
nadals backhand pisses me off.

what a horrible shot.

i cringe everytime he is about to hit a backhand expecting an error or shortball.

federer will eat him alive.

Trust me you should be more worried about Fed's baseballer backhand. It gave you many reasons to cry playing against Nadal. By the way I'm a huge Fed fan, even a bigger fan that you're of Nadal, it's just that I'm hard on him and I'm tired of seeing him choking :lol:

jenanun
06-04-2011, 12:29 AM
After watching Fed vs Djokovic match, I found this rafa vs murray match was like a slow motion match....

james82
06-04-2011, 02:38 AM

i argee i thought the match was awesome,best match of RG
i hope the 2 play again on the hardcourts it could get very interresting

@Sweet Cleopatra
06-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Congrats Rafa for your 6th final :hug: lets make it 6 vamoooooooooooooooooooooos

I rewatched the 2 semi finals and I am sure Rafa is going to be the champion :hug:

FerrerAndNadal
06-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Wow, Forgot to post in this thread. Sorry Rafa. Great match, great play! Vamos Against Federer! You can do it! Tie Borg! Break into double digits! win the 10th!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duncan
06-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Only just watched the match and i thought Murray played very well but Rafa was just too good. His play on BP time and time again was insane. Better player won and tomorrow's final should be a belter.

tests
06-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Only just watched the match and i thought Murray played very well but Rafa was just too good. His play on BP time and time again was insane. Better player won and tomorrow's final should be a belter.

Murray at times looked as if he had absolute control over rafa.

rocketassist
06-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Saw bits of this in the bar. Muzz was a bit unlucky. Rafito uncharacteristically had a go on a lot of the break points.

As for Pablo's comment, he obviously never saw the USO 2008 semi final, which was his best ever match, and he took Rafa to school.