Yokozuna tennis update U.S. Open 2011 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Yokozuna tennis update U.S. Open 2011

Henry Kaspar
06-02-2011, 08:37 PM
See last post

------------

The full 16 are: Rod Laver, Ken Rosewall, Jimmy Connors, John Newcombe, Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe, Mats Wilander, Ivan Lendl, Boris Becker, Stefan Edberg, Jim Courier, Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic.

More at the link in my signature (currently updating the Yokozuna list).

LawrenceOfTennis
06-02-2011, 08:38 PM
OMG this thread

vn01
06-02-2011, 09:18 PM
:haha:

Henry Kaspar
06-02-2011, 09:35 PM
OMG this thread

Thanks. Henry is enough.

Sham Kay
06-02-2011, 09:39 PM
A sumo fan? ..

.. Well, I've seen stranger.. a Mayerfan for example. God that was shocking.

oranges
06-02-2011, 09:42 PM
A sumo fan? ..

.. Well, I've seen stranger.. a Mayerfan for example. God that was shocking.

You must be shocked quite often on MTF then :lol: Even Boredo has fans, player like Flo has plenty

peribsen
06-02-2011, 09:52 PM
.... is already an Ozeki.

Nadal needs his 10th grand slam title for the "Dai", Djokovic just a final to get promoted Grand Champion--he would be the 16th of the open era.

(For Ozumo-tennis fans, follow the link in my signature below).

Thanks for the info. Though if this was a Sumo fight, nobody would stand a chance against Nadal (Baghdatis, maybe, he does sport an impressive potbelly).

Fat Camel
06-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the info. Though if this was a Sumo fight, nobody would stand a chance against Nadal (Baghdatis, maybe, he does sport an impressive potbelly).

Berrer will win all four slams in one year definitely.

Sham Kay
06-02-2011, 10:23 PM
You must be shocked quite often on MTF then :lol: Even Boredo has fans, player like Flo has plenty
Yes, yes. I wear my Scream mask and trusty Robin Hood hat while reading through the content of MTF to hide my shockery. I also invent words.

fast_clay
06-02-2011, 10:40 PM
this blogger is a great man... i am sending out a big 'Get F**ked' to those who are taking the piss without reason... you obviously haven't spent much time opening your mind to seeing the greats rated in such a way or probably havent even given time to reading it, for if you weren't such half wits and had a fraction of an idea about the history of the game you could see the system is actually a fantastic look at rating all time greats...

so f**k off...

Ouragan
06-03-2011, 07:59 AM
and where is Kei Nishikori :lol:

Fat Camel
06-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Agree with fast_clay. Amazing stats here.

rafa_maniac
06-03-2011, 01:01 PM
I've been following this blog since Nadal was promoted to Yokozuna in 08, very interesting read. Would love to see him get a final promotion. As for Nole, I thought you needed to win at at least two different majors to qualify?

tennizen
06-03-2011, 01:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/KIW5t.gif

fast_clay
06-03-2011, 01:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/KIW5t.gif

are you taking the piss with this...?

be honest with your response please...

tennizen
06-03-2011, 01:18 PM
are you taking the piss with this...?

be honest with your response please...

Absolutely not. Consider it my humble tribute to the greatness that is the OP's work.

gaitare
06-03-2011, 01:25 PM
I love this forum so much.

fast_clay
06-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Absolutely not. Consider it my humble tribute to the greatness that is the OP's work.

hmmm...

questionable...

i am sending out a big get fucked to you just in case...

Ukyo
06-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Yes, yes. I wear my Scream mask and trusty Robin Hood hat while reading through the content of MTF to hide my shockery. I also invent words.Bra, youre Murray's fan, how on earth have you come to conclusion that you can judge which player is worthy of having fans?

#realitycheck

Dmitry Verdasco
06-03-2011, 01:54 PM
How does one lose his rank? I get it's probably time based but how it Federer still a Yokozuna then?

GuiroNl
06-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Anyone with half a brain and a little bit of sense knows that this yokozuna rating system is one of the best objective rating systems around to classify the strength of a player.

Helevorn
06-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Omg, there are Wapanese even among tennis followers..

Blugoldjoe
06-03-2011, 03:07 PM
How does one lose his rank? I get it's probably time based but how it Federer still a Yokozuna then?

my understanding of sumo is that you can never lose Yokozuna rank, but once you start to perform like crap, you are expected to retire.

Blugoldjoe
06-03-2011, 03:09 PM
and where is Kei Nishikori :lol:

juryo

jmf07
06-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Hopefully Henry Kaspar starts doing one for the ACC contest.

Henry Kaspar
06-03-2011, 09:05 PM
So Federer stopped the Yokozuna run...

Now Djokovic needs to win Wimbledon.

Sapeod
06-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Wtf is this?

Henry Kaspar
06-06-2011, 01:08 PM
And a Dai-Yokozuna Rafa is. He joins a club that other than him consists only of Rod Laver, Ken Rosewall, Bjorn Borg, Pete Sampras, and Roger Federer (as well as Margaret Court, Bilie Jean King, Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graf, Monica seles, and Serena Williams).

Dmitry Verdasco
06-06-2011, 01:14 PM
:worship:

Henry Kaspar
06-06-2011, 01:19 PM
@ Dmitry

as for your earlier question, the ranking system is explained in my blog. In short, to defend Sekiwake or Komusubi a player needs to reach a GS quarterfinal. An Ozeki--a higher rank that is harder to obtain--gets one free shot (i.e., he can miss one QF) but needs to perform at the next slam, otherwise he gets demoted to Sekiwake.

Yokozuna is a rank for life. As someone here wrote correclty, in Ozumo a subpar performing Yokozuna is expected to retire. I "solved" this here by considering a Yokozuna inactive if he hasn't made a SF or two Qfs within a year. His status can be reactivated, however, if he gets the results back. In the ladies' game, for example, Serena is at the edge of going "inactive".

JolánGagó
06-06-2011, 02:15 PM
thanks Henry, outstanding work :worship:

Oh yeah, Dai-Yokosuna... SUKIT HATAS!

:spit:

Henry Kaspar
06-08-2011, 12:38 PM
...just overtook Ivan Lendl. Federer remains #2, Djokovic enters the top 20 following his second GS title at the Aussie Open 2011.

For more follow the link in my signature.

n8
06-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Your rankings seem very fair. Well done!

Although I'm very surprised that Soderling is top 60 but Ferrero is not? Where does Moya rank?

Henry Kaspar
06-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Ah, forgot that Ferrero is still active. He is #37, Moya #39.

n8
06-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Interesting. Good to know Moya is top 40 in the last 43 years. Hopefully he stays above that cut off, i.e. his ranking doesn't go down by more than 1 per a year on average.

Good to see Djokovic>Hewitt. Please just tell me Davydenko, Safin and Schuettler and I'll stop inquiring for now.

Henry Kaspar
06-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Interesting. Good to know Moya is top 40 in the last 43 years. Hopefully he stays above that cut off, i.e. his ranking doesn't go down by more than 1 per a year on average.

Good to see Djokovic>Hewitt. Please just tell me Davydenko, Safin and Schuettler and I'll stop inquiring for now.

Davydenko was #67 at end-2010, Schuettler #90, Safin #20, but he's been overtaken by now by Djokovic.

You may also consult the full end-2010 ranking:

http://yokozunatennisarticles.blogspot.com/2010/09/top-101-male-and-female-players-of-open.html

fast_clay
06-08-2011, 03:45 PM
as far as a tested and bankable system for defining the greatest and the next tiers of legends of the game this modified Japanese system is second to none...the most accurate and most fair I've ever seen...you Just can't argue with its rules, and the balance it strikes in relation to consistent high performance...it is difficult to attain greatness but is also lenient enough to maintain a rank inside a tour that is pretty much a year long grind... Oh yeah, I'll also send out another big f..k you to those c..ts takin the piss or who don't have the brain power to fathom it...no idea..gtfo

CyBorg
06-08-2011, 05:01 PM
The rankings seem reasonable to me. I'm wondering though why Laver is ahead of Federer if the ranking is for open era only. Rod started regressing a bit after two great years in '68 and '69.

Henry Kaspar
06-08-2011, 05:54 PM
@ Cyborg

the rankings include all players who had major successes in the open era -- but for whoever is included his/her entire career counts.

Henry Kaspar
07-02-2011, 03:07 PM
... for all interested in the Ozumo-presentation of players' career achievements. More is under the link in my signature.

Henry Kaspar
07-02-2011, 03:49 PM
If I may point out, my opening post on Djokovic and his upcoming Yokozuna promotion had little to nothing to do with the top 101 of the open era. May I ask whether from now on all my threads (I surely open less than 10 per year) will be shifted under some outdated thread that, while having been opened by me, has little to do with the topic?

Btw, if the administrators wish that I don't post about Yokozunatennis here I am happy to stop. One sentence is enough. However, there are quite a few folks here that seem interested in this, maybe because this is one of the relatively few instances in this forum where real information is being delivered - another concise way of looking at things. And even if you don't think that Yokozunatennis provides a noteworthy perspective, you may wish to see my contributions as a handful out of the thousands of GOAT threads that are being opened here every year - and seem all welcome.

fast_clay
07-02-2011, 04:08 PM
it is the best and fairest determination on the subject or notion of goatishness...

Garson007
07-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Moderators are retards.

finishingmove
07-02-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm definitely pro yokozuna tennis

Helevorn
07-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Maybe it's only me but I feel that this whole thing is a bit weird and creepy..

I've been studying Japanese and history of Japan for some years - I graduated in Oriental and Extra-European History - and I hate like hell these Wapanese-things (i.e.: not-Japanese guys using Japanese terms and pretending to be Japanese)..

fast_clay
07-02-2011, 05:16 PM

I've been studying Japanese and history of Japan for some years - I graduated in Oriental and Extra-European History - and I hate like hell these Wapanese-things (i.e.: not-Japanese guys using Japanese terms and pretending to be Japanese)..

well f*** off then mate...

Seingeist
07-02-2011, 05:20 PM
well f*** off then mate...

The singularity of your sense of purpose in this thread is admirable. :)

hipolymer
07-02-2011, 06:11 PM
So according to this link:

http://yokozunatennisarticles.blogspot.com/2010/09/top-101-male-and-female-players-of-open.html

Djokovic will become top 15 of all time if he wins tomorrow?

Henry Kaspar
07-02-2011, 07:40 PM
So according to this link:

Djokovic will become top 15 of all time if he wins tomorrow?

Probably #17, behind Vilas. Yokozuna vs. Ozeki isn't everything - Vilas has the overall career stats of a Yokozuna but never put the series of grand slam results together that is required for a Yokozuna promotion.

Henry Kaspar
07-02-2011, 08:06 PM

Fair enough. I'm not pretending to do anything Japanese though, I am just taking the Ozumo ranking system and apply it to grand slam tennis (in a slightly modified form that is necessary as tournament formats are different).

Cheers,
HK

Henry Kaspar
07-03-2011, 07:33 PM
The full 16 are: Rod Laver, Ken Rosewall, Jimmy Connors, John Newcombe, Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe, Mats Wilander, Ivan Lendl, Boris Becker, Stefan Edberg, Jim Courier, Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djkovic.

More at the link in my signature (currently updating the Yokozuna list).

Helevorn
07-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Fair enough. I'm not pretending to do anything Japanese though, I am just taking the Ozumo ranking system and apply it to grand slam tennis (in a slightly modified form that is necessary as tournament formats are different).

Cheers,
HK

Yeah, I appreciate your hard work about this and I think it's really difficult to understand and apply all those sumo rankings to tennis, I just don't like all of those Japanese terms used by someone who has nothing to do with the Japanese culture (I suppose).. it's so weird! But as long as you don't pretend to do anything Japanese it's all more acceptable to my mentality :lol:

fast_clay
07-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Yeah, I appreciate your hard work about this and I think it's really difficult to understand and apply all those sumo rankings to tennis, I just don't like all of those Japanese terms used by someone who has nothing to do with the Japanese culture (I suppose).. it's so weird! But as long as you don't pretend to do anything Japanese it's all more acceptable to my mentality :lol:

hey... it turns out that it's a great system for defining tennis greats...

now... listen... if you had some sort of trouble on a japanese exchange program in down town nagoya where some yakuza boss and his henchmen took turns at playing hide the sausage with you then you had better go and talk to someone about that... don't go expressing your distaste about people using certain oriental formula just because you made the mistake of taking candy from a stranger in a black car...

Henry Kaspar
07-03-2011, 10:48 PM
.... and Djokovic also moves up to #17 of the open era. Sandwiched between Guillermo Vilas and Arthus Ashe.

HeretiC
07-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Intriguing analogy. Good work Henry, keep it up. :yeah:

TennisLurker
07-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Continue with your rankings! :worship:

Roddickominator
07-04-2011, 12:03 AM
http://www.randomintelligence.com/yokozuna.gif

Yokozuna Djokovic has flattened Rafa and Roger.

tektonac
07-04-2011, 12:44 AM
very interesting, i learned something new today. big thanks!

Henry Kaspar
07-04-2011, 01:41 AM
Thanks guys for the friendly words. I've taken a liking to these way of looking at tennis players' careers, it is not much work to keep the stats up, and I'm happy if someone else finds them interesting.

I'm waiting for the day when John McEnroe will say on NBC "so will new Yokozuna Djokovic be tested in this US Open final by the upcoming Ozeki Andy Murray".... ;-)

Henry Kaspar
09-11-2011, 02:55 PM
There is precoius little to update though, with the three Yokozuna (Great Champion; Federer, Nadal, Djokovic) and the one Ozeki (Champion; Murray) playing the semis. They'll all keep their ranks of course and leave little for anyone else. The only exception is Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, who with SF(WB) and QF(UO) makes it back to his career-high rank of Sekiwake (Junior Champion I), while ex-Ozeki Tomas Berdych drops to Komusubi (Junior Champion II) after another disappointing tournament. No other player has sanyaku rank at this juncture.

asmazif
09-11-2011, 03:17 PM
such a great thread :hatoff:

Henry Kaspar
09-11-2011, 03:39 PM
such a great thread :hatoff:

Thanks mate. Happy about anyone who finds something interesting in my stuff.