RG QF: Murray (4) def. Chela, 7-6(2) 7-5 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

RG QF: Murray (4) def. Chela, 7-6(2) 7-5 6-2

straitup
06-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Chela should've had the first set and then struggled afterwards

Chela had a couple set points in the first set as Murray looked a little hampered again, but lost them and eventually lost the tiebreaker. Andy played far better in the 2nd set, was serving for it up 5-2 before getting broken twice to level it at 5-5...then won the next 2 games. Thought the 3rd set was going to be similar when he was missing at 5-2 up, but he closed it out fashionably with a dropper.

Great run for JIC to take advantage of his draw and make it this far, just didn't have the legs to get to all those drop shots and keep rallying with Andy. Looking forward to hopefully a good match against Rafa

Clydey
06-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Legs too thick, too much clay in his heart.

Clayheart marches on.

Fat Camel
06-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Kill me please.

Not Nadal, Murray, Djokovic, Federer!!:mad:
So bored of this.

MIMIC
06-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Awful match :lol: Massive choking, double faulting on set points, WTA like breaks, pushing fest.....

Just another Murray match I guess

zcess81
06-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Well, I hope Murray enjoyed challenger level draw to the semis, but Nadal is the end of the road for him, even if he's not at his best, but he's getting there. Troicki and Chela (in the 1st set especially) both choked, which I fully expected, considering their mental strength. Nadal, Soderling, Ferrer, Fed, Nole or any other decent clay court player with a bit of mental fortitude would have sent Murray packing in 3 routine sets.

CescAndyKimi
06-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Awful match :lol: Massive choking, double faulting on set points, WTA like breaks, pushing fest.....

:yawn:

Sonja1989
06-01-2011, 06:00 PM
We gave nothing chance for Chela even so the first two sets was close. Congrats Chela, good tournament and he reaches top 20 again. :worship:

solowyn
Grindy, but entertaining. Murray almost let the second set run away from him though. GOATing at saving BPs one minute, then not :p

szelesvigyor
Chela had so many chances in the first two sets..:confused::sad:
the only thing that decided the match is the break point conversion.
Chela made 5/17 breakpoints, while Murray made 8/16 breakpoints.

Action Jackson
06-01-2011, 06:01 PM
The thick legs are looking awesomely thick, this was never in doubt.

tennizen
This was a really entertaining match. Chela played pretty well especially in the first set.

delboy
terrible mugfest of a match

xdrewitdajx
Kill me please.

Not Nadal, Murray, Djokovic, Federer!!:mad:
So bored of this.

the 4 best players playing up to their ranking? how...awful, right

philosophicalarf
06-01-2011, 06:02 PM
67 winners in three sets, by a mile the highest in the tournament among 3 setters. Dolgo managed 68 in 4 sets, and 5 others managed 68-75 in 5 sets.

For comparison, Nadal has had 23 and 24 his last two matches, Fed 41 and 32.

straitup
06-01-2011, 06:02 PM
This was a really entertaining match. Chela played pretty well especially in the first set.

MTF at its best :worship:

This was nowhere near as good as their match last year but it was pretty decent at times

emotion
06-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Awful match. Just like every other match at this event this year. I know my player is dominating but still, the quality of tennis is so bad in last 2 years.

Priam
06-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Chela should retire.

Sham Kay
06-01-2011, 06:10 PM

I think it was somewhere in between. *Insert shite smug smiley here*

vn01
06-01-2011, 06:12 PM
good win for murray ;) first Roland Garros semi-final :yeah:

Sunset of Age
06-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Didn't see this, was watching the other semi (yeah, nice job organisers, having both semis played at the same time... :rolleyes) - congrats to Muzza :hatoff:
Hey, did that ankle injury of his suddenly dissappear, or was he still a bit hampered?

RNW
Not the best match but a lot of entertaining rallies in set 1 and 2.
The top 4 in the semifinals is a good thing.

Only Soderling is nearly at the same level and belongs around there,
the rest of the field is not good enough for the semis.

Murray with his injury in the semifinal is good and convincing.
He was mentally very tough between his last two matches.

Clydey

Murray hit over 50 winners. It was hardly pushing.

Clydey
06-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Awful match. Just like every other match at this event this year. I know my player is dominating but still, the quality of tennis is so bad in last 2 years.

You watched this match instead of Nadal-Soderling?

I have a feeling a lot of people are commenting without having watched the match.

Clydey
06-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Didn't see this, was watching the other semi (yeah, nice job organisers, having both semis played at the same time... :rolleyes) - congrats to Muzza :hatoff:
Hey, did that ankle injury of his suddenly dissappear, or was he still a bit hampered?

He looks fine. If he's impaired, it's not significant. Just can't afford to go over on the ankle again.

I need to start multi-quoting.

steveo2810
06-01-2011, 06:18 PM

I think some people just post stuff for the sake of it e.g Lets call Murray a pusher again.:lol:

But yeah, in reality 50+ winners is very good, needs to repeat it next round.

straitup
06-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Murray made some weird errors but he was toying around with Chela at times...exposing how far back Chela was with the drop shot. The weird errors all came when he was close to winning the set, otherwise it was pretty routine once he broke back in the 1st set

Sham Kay
06-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Alot of them don't watch the match, see the results thread and think.. "I've got to say something.. make my presence felt.. what should I say!? I know!"

"It was a pushfest"

Loads of winners, but Andy won't take a set against Nadal with these performances. But win or lose, nothing to throw the TV out the window for anymore.

Voo de Mar
06-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Chela 0-11 in quarterfinals of big tournaments :help:

solowyn
06-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Loads of winners, but Andy won't take a set against Nadal with these performances. But win or lose, nothing to throw the TV out the window for anymore.
Well, we know Murray likes to go all out for Nadal at least.

Corey Feldman
06-01-2011, 06:34 PM
congrats on the SF Murray

congrats on your last win in this tournament as well

Certinfy
06-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Funny yet entertaining.

philosophicalarf
06-01-2011, 06:43 PM
I think some people just post stuff for the sake of it e.g Lets call Murray a pusher again.:lol:

But yeah, in reality 50+ winners is very good, needs to repeat it next round.

That's 25% more than Nadal in his last two matches combined.

Jimnik
06-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Thank goodness. Three SPs for Chela in the 1st, would have been very different if he converted them.

With all due respect to Chela, we now have a classic SF line-up. RG usually produces at least one random semi-finalist but times are changing and the top players can cope on all surfaces. Muzza's two years in Barca certainly paid off.

Sapeod
06-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Very scrappy, but as usual, Muzza is too much for Chela. Very good tournament for Muzza. Pretty much saves his season, not far behind Ferrer and Federer in the race. A big gap (almost 2500) between him and those two in the current rankings now.

The semi-finals consist of the Big 4. Pretty much as it should be. Wimbledon should be the same.

tennishero
06-01-2011, 09:18 PM
murray's luck ends next match, thank fuck for that

Sonja1989
06-01-2011, 09:25 PM

Oh poor him. :sadface:
At least he plays QFs at big tournaments. :D

MIMIC
06-01-2011, 09:40 PM

Alot of them don't watch the match, see the results thread and think.. "I've got to say something.. make my presence felt.. what should I say!? I know!"

"It was a pushfest"

I was talking about Chela :lol:

But good to know what everyone expects of Murray's game :yeah: Pusher, pusher, pusher....and will occasionally play a match and hit a few winners :wavey:

But despite his performance in this match, MURRAY IS A PUSHER and will ALWAYS be a pusher.

Sapeod
06-01-2011, 09:45 PM
murray's luck ends next match, thank fuck for that
In the semi-finals :lol: You must be so angry :lol: Still, the fact that his "luck" has ended doesn't mean his run won't.
But good to know what everyone expects of Murray's game :yeah: Pusher, pusher, pusher....and will occasionally go a few match hitting winners :wavey:
So far in the tournament, he has hit, in each round, 39, 31, 34, 60, 50 winners. Pusher? Uh, no. Lmao @ you.

Oh btw, Andy, after the quarter-final with Chela, is now top of the ace leaderboard in the tournament :yeah:

MIMIC
06-01-2011, 09:51 PM
So far in the tournament, he has hit, in each round, 39, 31, 34, 60, 50 winners. Pusher? Uh, no. Lmao @ you.

Just because he hit a passing shot because his opponent came to the net--frustrated by his pushing--doesn't mean he's not a pusher :haha:

And you call yourself a Murray fan. Passing shots probably comprise 80% of Murray's winners.

guga2120
06-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Not Andy's best, but still great that he is in the sf. He will have a shot against Rafa, since Rafa's level, has been so inconsistent. Needless to say he will have to play unbelievable, but he can do it.

MayerFan
06-01-2011, 10:24 PM
I watched this match and it was, as some MTF posters would say, a mugfest.

DrJules
06-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Just because he hit a passing shot because his opponent came to the net--frustrated by his pushing--doesn't mean he's not a pusher :haha:

And you call yourself a Murray fan. Passing shots probably comprise 80% of Murray's winners.

I think you are being unfair to Murray.

The winner numbers are too high certainly compared to the other players to fairly badge Murray a pusher.

philosophicalarf
06-01-2011, 10:32 PM

His passing shots generally haven't been working because of the ankle - particularly forehand passing shots are mostly ending in the net.

Despite this, Murray has hit more winners than anyone else in the tournament:

Murra 227
Feder 183
Nadal 162
Djoko 159 (pro rata'd up from 127 since he didn't play Fognini)

per-game:

Murra 1.35
Feder 1.29
Djoko 1.16
Nadal 0.96

rocketassist
06-01-2011, 10:32 PM

And Djoker is a pantheon of attacking tennis :haha: Get real Yankee. they're both in the 'modern baseline two-strategy' camp.

MayerFan
06-01-2011, 10:37 PM

That's 25% more than Nadal in his last two matches combined.

Well, just look at whom you're comparing Murray to.

Clydey
06-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Well, just look at whom you're comparing Murray to.

As has been pointed out, Murray has more winners than anyone else in the tournament. And by quite some margin.

It's mildly amusing that MIMIC thinks this is down to Murray facing a host of net-rushers, like Chela and Troicki. Besides that, Murray's passing shots have been horrendous throughout the tournament.

straitup
06-01-2011, 10:45 PM

:o I'm hardly a Murray fan but this is a fail of an argument. Coming to the net on their own free will has been a very good play for Murray's opponents in the matches I've seen Murray play, because he hasn't been as sharp with the passing shots and after the injury, he has played aggressively and hit heavy shots

Half the time the opponents have come in are on Murray's drop shots which have been very solid, especially against Chela today

MIMIC
06-01-2011, 10:55 PM
:o I'm hardly a Murray fan but this is a fail of an argument. Coming to the net on their own free will has been a very good play for Murray's opponents in the matches I've seen Murray play, because he hasn't been as sharp with the passing shots and after the injury, he has played aggressively and hit heavy shots

Half the time the opponents have come in are on Murray's drop shots which have been very solid, especially against Chela today

I'm not even talking about this tournament. This is Murray's game in GENERAL

Murray: nothing shot x100 (might throw in some nothing slices, too)
Opponent: hits a shot to a corner to pull Murray off court and sneak in
Murray: hit the cover off of the ball to hit a passing shot

I am not making this shit up :rolleyes:

Murray is a superb defender and relies on it so much because he's so successful at it; that's why he does NOTHING with the ball and waits for his OPPONENT to force the issue.

rocketassist
06-01-2011, 11:11 PM

Murray is a superb defender and relies on it so much because he's so successful at it; that's why he does NOTHING with the ball and waits for his OPPONENT to force the issue.

He sometimes does that, but I've seen Novak do it a lot too especially against net rushers and ball bashers, so you're a freaking hypocrite.

MIMIC
06-01-2011, 11:23 PM
He sometimes does that, but I've seen Novak do it a lot too especially against net rushers and ball bashers, so you're a freaking hypocrite.

And Federer did it to Novak at the Australian Open. It's tactical. Murray employs this strategy regardless of his opponent. It's not tactical for him; it's his entire game.

If Murray and Novak get a short ball (during a pressure situation), who do you think will be more willing to end point while edging closer and closer to the net? And who do you think will be more willing to push/slice it back and edge back closer and closer to the baseline?

And unless there's any doubt, video evidence can confirm the answer to both questions.

I'm not even sure why we're having this discussion. Everyone knows how often Murray pushes. For the same reason why people call Soderling/del Potro ball bashers: because it's OBVIOUS. It may not be the nicest way to describe their games, but it's fairly accurate.....regardless of how successful they are at it.

rocketassist
06-01-2011, 11:26 PM
And Federer did it to Novak at the Australian Open. It's tactical. Murray employs this strategy regardless of his opponent. It's not tactical for him; it's his entire game.

If Murray and Novak get a short ball, who do you think will be more willing to end point while edging closer and closer to the net? And who do you think will be more willing to push/slice it back and edge back closer and closer to the baseline?

And unless there's any doubt, video evidence can confirm the answer to both questions.

Both of them, except Novak's forehand is the hugely superior shot, so he's more likely to win the point.

Both of them are the typical 2011 baseliner with a few glaring tweaks. When Nadal's at the other side of the net, they'll try to hit him off the court. When they play a Soderling or someone, they will attempt to extract the errors and keep it tight. The difference in success between the players is Nole's forehand, which makes Andy's look pretty lame by comparison.

If you think Djokovic is all attack and Murray all defence, then you're clueless.

MayerFan
06-01-2011, 11:51 PM
As has been pointed out, Murray has more winners than anyone else in the tournament. And by quite some margin.

It's mildly amusing that MIMIC thinks this is down to Murray facing a host of net-rushers, like Chela and Troicki. Besides that, Murray's passing shots have been horrendous throughout the tournament.

Considering the opposition Murray has faced, it's hardly surprising and/or significant.

cajuntennis
06-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Murray will upset Nadal and i guess everyone will say Nadal choked. Murray gets no credit every match he wins the other guy chokes you ever thought murray was making them choke.

fast_clay
06-02-2011, 12:00 AM
chela would be a good candidate if some mad f**kers wanted to clone a man for war...

durable old c*nt he is

Clydey
06-02-2011, 12:18 AM

You're showing your ignorance if you think nothing is being done with the ball. Changing pace and spin does have a purpose. It extracts errors.

CCBH
06-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Watching Chela's post-match interview, I cannot help but feel sad for a player like him, who does not expect to go this far, or to beat higher ranked opponents. He is just going about his business and if it happens to get him to a GS QF, all the better. He had this amusing story about how in 2004 Argentina had great players like Coria, Gaudio and Nalbandian, and he was the earliest to lose. Now everybody else is either injured or retired, so his run seems remarkable.

MayerFan
06-02-2011, 12:38 AM
You're showing your ignorance if you think nothing is being done with the ball. Changing pace and spin does have a purpose. It extracts errors.

You talk as if Murray were Mecir.

Sophocles
06-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Despite this, Murray has hit more winners than anyone else in the tournament:

Murra 227
Feder 183
Nadal 162
Djoko 159 (pro rata'd up from 127 since he didn't play Fognini)

per-game:

Murra 1.35
Feder 1.29
Djoko 1.16
Nadal 0.96

Lest we forget though, Nadal has had to play defensive powerhouses such as Isner, Ljubicic, & Soderling.

fast_clay
06-02-2011, 12:46 AM
Watching Chela's post-match interview, I cannot help but feel sad for a player like him, who does not expect to go this far, or to beat higher ranked opponents. He is just going about his business and if it happens to get him to a GS QF, all the better.

chela indeed has some admirable traits... others would say its karma

Mungo
06-02-2011, 02:09 AM
LOL it's ridiculous what an utter crap tennis Murray is playing this week. He played better in RG 2009. The only reason he reached the semis is because he was extremely lucky with the draw and extremely lucky that the mugs Troicki and Chela choked like hopeless teens. Murray is playing awful tennis. Complete fluke this semifinal.

guga2120
06-02-2011, 02:13 AM
LOL it's ridiculous what an utter crap tennis Murray is playing this week. He played better in RG 2009. The only reason he reached the semis is because he was extremely lucky with the draw and extremely lucky that the mugs Troicki and Chela choked like hopeless teens. Murray is playing awful tennis. Complete fluke this semifinal.

He got a Federer like draw, but he has played good clay tennis this season. He got closer in Rome to beating Novak than anybody this year. The reason he did not crush Chela and Victor is b/c of the ankle. He will give Rafa a very tough match I think.

abraxas21
06-02-2011, 02:14 AM
chela indeed has some admirable traits... others would say its karma

chela has done it all, evry trick in the book... time wasting, injury faking, fixing, doping, insulting, spitting, hell - you name it.

the guy is a true legend of the game and deserves respect

fast_clay
06-02-2011, 02:16 AM

mugdal has shown up in 4 of 5 matches here at rg... hell, mugdal has been doing the 'Cirque de Mugdal' all thru europe this spring... pretty good chances mugdal is gonna show up friday...

mugdal himself will level out the playing field...

chela has done it all, evry trick in the book... time wasting, injury faking, fixing, doping, insulting, spitting, hell - you name it.

the guy is a true legend of the game and deserves respect

without doubt... chela was a guy who did not f**k around... just went about it all as if it was his birthright... fair f**ken play to the lad...

MIMIC
06-02-2011, 02:57 AM
Both of them, except Novak's forehand is the hugely superior shot, so he's more likely to win the point.

Both of them are the typical 2011 baseliner with a few glaring tweaks. When Nadal's at the other side of the net, they'll try to hit him off the court. When they play a Soderling or someone, they will attempt to extract the errors and keep it tight. The difference in success between the players is Nole's forehand, which makes Andy's look pretty lame by comparison.

If you think Djokovic is all attack and Murray all defence, then you're clueless.

1) You brought Novak up.
2) No one claimed he was an "all attacking" player.

So many strawmen in here.

n8
06-02-2011, 12:00 PM
67 winners in three sets, by a mile the highest in the tournament among 3 setters. Dolgo managed 68 in 4 sets, and 5 others managed 68-75 in 5 sets.

For comparison, Nadal has had 23 and 24 his last two matches, Fed 41 and 32.

Impressive from Murray.

Ouch.