French Open 2011 QF: Nadal packs off Soderling 6-4, 6-1, 7-6 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

French Open 2011 QF: Nadal packs off Soderling 6-4, 6-1, 7-6

Pages : [1] 2

Start da Game
06-01-2011, 04:40 PM
good luck beating him from here on....

Tom Paulman
06-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Nicely ballbashed, LOSERling. You should be glad that you even got to QF playing such a shit tennis.

finishingmove
great performance from soderling

bokehlicious
Fuck off Soderling!

n3gative
way to step up toad, that was too easy for Nadal

hipolymer
Djokovic--Soderling

6-3, 6-0

Pathetic Rafa couldn't even bagel him.

MIMIC
Great from Nadal.

But that moonballing ain't gonna get it done against Djoker :cool:

william_renshaw
Soderling's performance in the first 2 sets was yust a yoke. And he squandered some serious chances in the 3rd set.

Diprosalic
06-01-2011, 04:42 PM
gratz on 10th GS

solowyn
Robin :lol: Way to start slow, dear.

wipeout
Clay monster still lives! :worship:

straitup
Rafa looked a lot better but Robin was pretty poor. Saving those 3 BP's was key for Nadal in that 5-5 game in the 3rd set

MalwareDie
Djokovic crushes Nadal 6-1 6-3 6-0 in the final. He didn't bring it at all. He brought his C game and fortunately for him, Soderling was horrible.

pienet
Soderling had his chances in the 3rd set, including break points at 5-5. Then he played a below-average tie-break with 4 consecutive cheap errors.

timafi
Robin you bitch!:mad:

Time Violation
What an error fest from Soderling :help:

misty1
NID
i still dont get why people thought robin stood a chance at all in the first place

people should learn that form with robin needs nothing when heading into matches against nadal, federer or djokovic

freeandlonely
:facepalm:

Sophocles
06-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Nadal is playing better now. Looking more like the player who got thrashed by Djokovic in Madrid & Rome.

Soderling was execrable until the 3rd set. By then it was too late.

Myrre
Murray is next up to bend over for Nadull.

mickymouse
Nadal isn't going to beat Djokovic with this level of tennis.

Orka_n
Soderling had 40-15 5-5* in the third, but couldn't deliver. At least the third set wasn't embarrassing, I just can't figure out how you can play so clutch 3 service games in a row and then piss away the tiebreak.

Now the tournament is boring as shit again.

Ben.
Similar to last years final really, lower quality for the most part though.

Commentary thread was hilarious for a while, the temporary Soderling fans were not impressed.

Fed Express
06-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Still don't see Nadal taking the title. He played better then in his previous matches, but is still nowhere near Djokovic his form.

Soderling was utter and utter crap today. He was probably affraid or to nervous to play his game because he never did in this match.

GSMnadal
All Soderling 'fans' are abandoning him quickly, I see :lol:

Rafa! Animal! That was vintage Nadal, just way too good for this ballbasher. First set he looked shaky, second set was a claycourt defense clinic, third set was good. Tiebreak was clutch. He was just a wall today, and Robin couldn't handle it.

Good luck Murray, you'll need it.

Nole Rules
Robin sucked today. Nothing more.

Deivid23
Nadal raised his level when it counted. He played a much more solid match than past days and he´s starting to find his game. He will need to raise it more to win the trophy though

Sonja1989
Well done Rafa, good match for him! He played nice finally. I was surprised. :D
But still can't beat Djokovic I guess. :(

But Soderling was :awww: Thank you Robin! :hug:

JolánGagó
06-01-2011, 04:45 PM
:haha:

s*ck it up hatas, keep wanking over a win two years ago against an injured player :lol:

syc23
Soderslave more like. Bye bye you fucking Swedish waste of space.

ballbasher101
Missed the first 2 sets. Apparently Soderling lost 8 games on the run at one point. How :confused:. He looked like he was playing well in the third set though. Anyway Nadal has a chance to bag another major :o. Hope Muzza gets the job done but I doubt it.

Action Jackson
Brilliant performance from Söderling there. So, there was some wind about, a radical solution adjusting the footwork to get into position to hit the groundies effectively.

Nadal did what was necessary to win, make enough balls into the court and your opponent hits errors, fairly elementary.

Jomp1
Robin played alright. He wouldn't have won today no matter how well he played. His chances to win before was slim, wind made it impossible. Serve imploding like usual in the wind.

delpiero7
Fuck off Soderling!

Murray is next up to bend over for Nadull.

:facepalm:

rafa_maniac
Infinitely better than previous rounds for Rafa, though very tight and safe tennis too much of the time. But it worked as Soderling was perfectly willing to self destruct for 2 sets. He brought it in the third... until 1:0 in the TB. Don't know what happened there, but it was poor. Nadal should make the final, and needs to pray he sees Fed on the other side of the net.

Topspindoctor
06-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Nicely ballbashed, LOSERling. You should be glad that you even got to QF playing such a shit tennis.

Fuck off Soderling!

Robin you bitch!:mad:

What an error fest from Soderling :help:

Nadal isn't going to beat Djokovic with this level of tennis.

Robin sucked today. Nothing more.

http://www.roflcat.com/images/cats/Haters_Gonna_Hate.jpg

xdrewitdajx
Soderling was mostly poor (and even when he started playing better, poor on the big points), but Nadal was very good. Hardly missed, got everything back, the backhand was working, the forehand was potent...he looked really good. Soderling should have put up more of a fight though for sure

MaxPower
People forget that it was windy. Almost as windy as yesterday. Good luck hitting those freaking moonballs. One player played tennis. The other one played anti-tennis. He won but I'm sure he lost fans with that performance anyway. Soderling will see you again in the grass season and in the indoor season. Wind wont save Rafito then. Good luck Djokovic in the Finals. Can't let the male version of Wozniacki win 10 slams

Angled Backhand
Rafa has upped his game. Clutch serving, awesome DTL fearhands and good CC backhands.
Needs to improve more because Djoko is going to put his serves under extreme pressure. Gets to groove his ground game even more and get's a sneak peek of awesome defending if Murray comes through to prepare for the ultimate test.

Apart from the third set, WTF Robin? I hit to Rafa's backhand to win, no? Haven't you watched Djokovic's matches against Rafa? Kept missing DTL backhands...

Dmitry Verdasco
:bigclap:

Bad luck, Robin :tears:

Filo V.
06-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Some angry ass motherfuckers on this thread :lol:

Rafa was adequate overall, and defended well. That's all that was required. Robin went from awful, to OK, back to awful, then decent, but never was he able to put points together. Rafa served well when he needed to do so.

I still don't think this level will get the job done vs. Djokovic or even Roger but he should make the finals now.

JolánGagó
Now the tournament is boring as shit again.

because your fave player is off? tennis fan :haha:

you can always run and rerun again and again that match two yrs ago and, well, get your satisfaction :bigwave:

Orka_n
With Soderling serving 40-50% it was never gonna be close. I hope it was the wind's fault because 45 UEs is never okay, not even against Nadal.

ImmzB
Vamos Rafa!! :woohoo:

missvarsha
:banana: :banana: John Isner the only player to take a set of Nadal in FO '11 :banana: :banana:

Fed Express
06-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Infinitely better than previous rounds for Rafa, though very tight and safe tennis too much of the time. But it worked as Soderling was perfectly willing to self destruct for 2 sets. He brought it in the third... until 1:0 in the TB. Don't know what happened there, but it was poor. Nadal should make the final, and needs to pray he sees Fed on the other side of the net.

Exactly :)

l_mac
:sport: :sport: :sport: :sport:

http://vamosbrigade.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/icon_run.gif http://vamosbrigade.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/icon_run.gif http://vamosbrigade.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/icon_run.gif http://vamosbrigade.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/icon_run.gif

http://vamosbrigade.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/icon_run.gif http://vamosbrigade.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/icon_run.gif http://vamosbrigade.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/icon_run.gif http://vamosbrigade.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/icon_run.gif

.-Federers_Mate-.
Told you so. This was always Nadal's match. Soderling is just the player to give a nervous opponent confidence. He's a building block and thats all he's ever been. Soderling came up with some big forehands but at the ned of the day it was never enough. Big forehands are all soderling has and when the shot is subdued or goes off he's nothing. he's just another player. Thats what happens. Soderling had multiple chances to break in crucial moments but he couldn't take them. It was a mix of nerves and steel from Nadal, Thats why Nadal always crushes him. he's more of a professorial and more of a athlete.

This is exactly what nadal needed. he needed to pummel the lanky swede and lay a marker. he did. It's good because it just makes the final better. The tourney has always been about Nadal vs Djokovic. From start to finish. Thats what it's supposed to be about. thats why it's exciting.

Nadal is just a much, much better player than Soderling. Soderling has far too many flaws in his game. There was never a rivalry between these two. The "rivalry" has never been about Sod. It has always been about Nadal. It has always been about one player. thats why it doesn't merit the status of a rivalry.

emotion
06-01-2011, 04:49 PM
This is the worst slam I have ever seen
I have not seen one high quality match. Was there even one?

Filo V.
Robin is overrated. I don't know why some people here keep expecting him to beat the elite players. He very rarely does.

cardio
Match was over after 13 games 6-4, 2*-1. Rest was just a formality. Even Federer would have probably made it closer match than Soda today. He just folded like a cheap tent under pressure.

Orka_n
because your fave player is off? tennis fan :haha:No, because Nadal's defensive moonballs are an abomination to tennis. But don't worry, Nadull still won't win this tournament. :)

Voo de Mar
I have seen Soderling this year against Federer, Djokovic and Nadal. The Swede is so much behind them, Borg's comment about Soderling attacking No. 1 position was a great example of blind patriotism.

Hope to see Soderling in London against Murray, I'd like to know whether he is worth of No. 4 in the world.

tennisfan856
robin looked like a cow on ice.

MalwareDie
I still don't think this level will get the job done vs. Djokovic or even Roger but he should make the finals now.

:haha: If he plays against Federer, Nadal is guaranteed the win. All he has to do is loop the ball to Federer's backhand as usual.

barahmasa
06-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Level of delusion still pretty high here, Nadal is winning RG, you can bet your house on it. ;)
Already uped his game considerably, by the time he gets to the final he'll be the brute we've known for years on clay - Nole's doom is coming... (not a bad doom tho' - becoming nr 1 for the first time :) )

.-Federers_Mate-.
06-01-2011, 04:51 PM
This might sound harsh. To be honest i don't care. Soderling has always been too dumb to beat Nadal.

Filo V.
06-01-2011, 04:51 PM
I actually expected Soderling to win, until this morning. I never should have believed otherwise. Soderling has not shown he can really beat Nadal on any sort of regular basis whatsoever, if at all. In reality, this was always going to be Nadal's match.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
06-01-2011, 04:52 PM
cheatdal

worst player who ever lived

watching him play is like watching wozniacki

its like torture but even torture isn't this bad

watching nadal lose is the best ever

when someone packs this mug off life will be so good

ill be rooting for murray

vn01
good stuff from rafa. he finally played a good match in paris this year :yeah:

now i like his chances more. nadal can win the title. vamos! :)

Libertango
What a fantastic match.

:sobbing:

SheepleBuster
good luck beating him from here on....

I am very surprised. I thought Nadal would tank here and blame it on family issues to avoid facing his master in the final. Oh well. A 6-0 set in the final should teach him not to play with fire. Nadal's retirement party is close

worky
06-01-2011, 04:53 PM
I guess nadal will win this RG, that s okay with me :D I only want number 1 spot for nole next week ;)

born_on_clay
lol at you haters :haha:
Honestly I didn't expect Rafa to play so good
Kudos champ :bowdown:
My faith has been restored for now :D

Orka_n
I actually expected Soderling to win, until this morning. I never should have believed otherwise. Soderling has not shown he can really beat Nadal on any sort of regular basis whatsoever, if at all. In reality, this was always going to be Nadal's match.:lol: Way to go, correcting yourself when the match is over.

asotgod
This was nothing but a choke. Nadal did nothing to win the match. It was as horrible as it gets. How any of his fans will say his level improved is what I do not get. This match is further proof of why it is tough to be a fan of Nadal - always waiting for opponents' errors, pumping his fist when they make errors and slowing down the game to his own pace. Hoping for a better match at least from Murray, and potentially Djoker. I am pretty certain that Djokovic will beat him bad if they do meet.

Jomp1
Robin is overrated. I don't know why some people here keep expecting him to beat the elite players. He very rarely does.

At least he's defending his seed. Where were the other mugs that were supposed to play Djokovic and Murray in the quarters? Don't really know what people expect from him, surely those are not his real fans anyway. He's not a generational player, but rather your average world no.5 type. Occasional great results like Slams finals, and the odd Masters title but for most of the time a solid quarter finalist. Haters gonna hate I guess.

Filo V.
:haha: If he plays against Federer, Nadal is guaranteed the win. All he has to do is loop the ball to Federer's backhand as usual.No. Some of those shots Robin was hitting and missing wildly, Roger would hit for winners. Roger can develop points obviously much better than Soderling. Roger is a much better server. Rafa was 90% defensive, his depth was poor in the third set, and he didn't have much on his serve most of the match. Roger can definitely attack the shit out of Rafa. And if he beats Nole, he's going to be ultra confident for Sunday.

MalwareDie
06-01-2011, 04:54 PM
:lol: Way to go, correcting yourself when the match is over.

lol yeah. Filo V always wants to be right. NID.

JolánGagó
06-01-2011, 04:55 PM
No, because Nadal's defensive moonballs are an abomination to tennis.

:spit: too bad Soderprick's mindless ballbashing can't deal with it and is good enough for some indoor MM and little else :lol:

he might not win this year but your poster "player" is home again, and again, and again... 5>>>>>>>>>0

enjoy the tourney :hug:

Orka_n
06-01-2011, 04:55 PM
No. Some of those shots Robin was hitting and missing wildly, Roger would hit for winners. Roger can develop points obviously much better than Soderling. Roger is a much better server. Rafa was 90% defensive, his depth was poor in the third set, and he didn't have much on his serve most of the match. Roger can definitely attack the shit out of Rafa. And if he beats Nole, he's going to be ultra confident for Sunday.Are you crazy? Fed's backhand will get destroyed and it's not even a discussion.

philosophicalarf
06-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Terrible from Soderling. Partly down to the wind, but even when that died down after two sets he choked hard at the end of the set, should have broken. Then gets into tiebreak, minibreak up first point, immediately puts a doublefault almost onto the baseline and errors away the rest of the breaker.

Nadal sharpened up his game a lot, very few errors, good defence, better control of length than previous matches. Lack of attacking game though, few winners.

Filo V.
06-01-2011, 04:56 PM
:lol: Way to go, correcting yourself when the match is over.

:lol:

True, but I honestly did have a change of heart this morning. I just thought, why wouldn't I back Nadal when he has such a great record v Soderling, steps up when he needs to all the time, and has only lost one in RG? After the first two games, seeing how the courts weren't that fast and it was windy, I pretty much realized that the result was decided.

MaxPower
06-01-2011, 04:57 PM
cheatdal

worst player who ever lived

watching him play is like watching wozniacki

its like torture but even torture isn't this bad

watching nadal lose is the best ever

when someone packs this mug off life will be so good

ill be rooting for murray

I understand how you feel and I agree. As I said it is anti-tennis. Your whole game is based on other players hitting errors. Only comfort is that Nadal will probably be out of top10 before Soderling. Nadals game will crumble when his speed and defense crumbles. It's almost there

Angled Backhand
06-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Rafa's depth was actually pretty good, at least in the 1st set. That was one of the reasons Robin missed so much (wind is to be blamed as well).

By the way, rafa maniac is the best Rafa fan on this board. Props to you!

Filo V.
06-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Are you crazy? Fed's backhand will get destroyed and it's not even a discussion.

It probably will, but he can hide it to some extent if he's on the offense constantly, he serves well, and if he can eat up Rafa's serves. Because as of right now, it's not like Nadal is doing anything to hurt players. The players are hurting themselves. Roger has a mediocre BH but he's not going to just beat himself over and over.

anticaria
06-01-2011, 04:59 PM
as expected, the very same posters who bragged yesterday about sodo sending rafa packing in straight sets today blah blah blah... are now throwing the swede under the bus in true 'fck you, fck the world' fashion.. now it's sodo you biatch, you worthless piece o shat motha fcker, go kill your worthless arse, sodo.. blah blah blah ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ LOL what COMPLETE FOOLS these rafa haters be.. :haha:

Filo V.
06-01-2011, 05:00 PM
The courts aren't playing that fast. Roger can run around BH's and hit forehands. Rafa running around his BH 70% of the time will expose his forehand side for Roger to hit forehands DTL.

Sunset of Age
06-01-2011, 05:01 PM
WOW, very solid performance from Rafa, much, much better than in all of his previous matches this year at RG. What an improvement! :hatoff: Barely any UEs, good serving, good tactics. Even more impressive if you take into account the windy conditions, which at times were just as bad as yesterday's.
Congrats Rafa, deserved victory! :hatoff: - keep up this level and well, maybe, maybe... :D

Okay that was half of the story. Now the other half.
Söderling didn't at all reach his level of play shown in his earlier matches - perhaps in patches in set #3. He obviously couldn't adjust to the wind like Rafa could, his serve in the first two sets was completely absent - 33% in set #2, if I'm not totally mistaken - and to add insult to injury, he played like an unstoppable UE-machine most of the time. Body language showed that he barely had any belief in himself. He managed to up his level in the course of set #3, his serving became (a lot) better and he even had a couple of BPs at the tail end of the set, which he was incapable to convert.
In all a rather disappointing performance from him, even when taking into account the windy conditions, and I didn't like his overal attitude at all.
Bye Sod, see you in Halle! :wavey:

asotgod
06-01-2011, 05:01 PM
I understand how you feel and I agree. As I said it is anti-tennis. Your whole game is based on other players hitting errors. Only comfort is that Nadal will probably be out of top10 before Soderling. Nadals game will crumble when his speed and defense crumbles. It's almost there

That's pretty much what he did, waiting for an error always. How can you hit 5 winners in the first set and win it? Obviously because your opponent hit a bunch of errors. Nadal is nothing but a Wozniacki. How anyone can say otherwise is what baffles me. People keep saying Murray had an easy draw. Well, so did Nadal. Fed and Djoker obviously had the toughest draws. I really would have loved to see Nadal and Del Potro in the third round instead of what we just saw. What is even more funny is Nadal jumping up for joy error after error from the opponent and trying to pump himself even though he had a smug look on his face which gave away his own true belief that this match was a swedish donation. Pitiful!

Priam
06-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Well Rafa brought his B game today. Defense is not as good as last year but still improving overall. Needs to be more aggressive IMO. Djokovic is not making 41 errors in the final.

Never seen Sod so inconsistent in Paris the past 3 years, granted the wind was affecting him. What the hell happened to his serve? 38% FS in the 2nd set.

asmaridis
06-01-2011, 05:03 PM
No. Some of those shots Robin was hitting and missing wildly, Roger would hit for winners. Roger can develop points obviously much better than Soderling. Roger is a much better server. Rafa was 90% defensive, his depth was poor in the third set, and he didn't have much on his serve most of the match. Roger can definitely attack the shit out of Rafa. And if he beats Nole, he's going to be ultra confident for Sunday.

Doesn't matter what Roger can do. Because it's Djokovic who'll be doing it all on Sunday. We've all given up hope on Federer when he's up against Nadal.

MalwareDie
06-01-2011, 05:03 PM
It probably will, but he can hide it to some extent if he's on the offense constantly, he serves well, and if he can eat up Rafa's serves. Because as of right now, it's not like Nadal is doing anything to hurt players. The players are hurting themselves. Roger has a mediocre BH but he's not going to just beat himself over and over.

History disagrees with you as this happens all the time. If he faces Nadal, Federer will lose even if Nadal plays mediocre C-level tennis.

Sham Kay
06-01-2011, 05:04 PM
I don't usually like using the word but..

Expected.

Pretty happy with the result too, for some reason. Nadal is needed to keep the tournament interesting, personally speaking.. would have been boring for him to be knocked out here. I love the upcoming matchups from now on, regardless.

foul_dwimmerlaik
Nadal is finally starting to play better, at least on the defensive. Forehand dtl somewhat functional. Wind disrupted Sod's rhythm on serve, he's never had a chance with 1st serve about 50. He did well to break back and get to the tiebreak in the 3rd.

Orka_n
Anticaria... been a while since I saw that guy post. Trust he wouldn't be here if Rafa had lost today.

Anyway, I was way more angry at Robin after the second set, because he looked like he had given up. But then he played a decent third set but just couldn't grab the break point. :shrug: And that was the match.

Filo V.
At least he's defending his seed. Where were the other mugs that were supposed to play Djokovic and Murray in the quarters? Don't really know what people expect from him, surely those are not his real fans anyway. He's not a generational player, but rather your average world no.5 type. Occasional great results like Slams finals, and the odd Masters title but for most of the time a solid quarter finalist. Haters gonna hate I guess.

I'm not a hater, I like Soderling. But some people keep expecting him to beat top players in big situations. He's done it like 3 times in his career. He has very poor records against the elite players. So if we look realistically, he shouldn't be put in that discussion ever. He's simply not good enough and his history shows he can't play at that level at a consistent basis and beat the best of the best.

But he is very good as the #1 guy in the best of the rest pack.

tennizen
By the way, rafa maniac is the best Rafa fan on this board. Props to you!

True and Branimir is the best Nole fan.

barahmasa
Wow so many rafa haters, almost like a mass hysteria, everyone saying shit about him cause they know when his on he can't be stopped, at least not on clay. And deep down everyone knows he'll show his true self by the time the final comes. The power of fear.

solowyn
The courts aren't playing that fast. Roger can run around BH's and hit forehands. Rafa running around his BH 70% of the time will expose his forehand side for Roger to hit forehands DTL.
Yes, just like he manages to do in every clay match with Rafa.

madmax
06-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Robin blew it and gifted the match to the cheating moonballer...
sad result for the game of tennis

anticaria
06-01-2011, 05:05 PM
moral of the story: on clay, when rafa's healthy, sodo doesn't stand a chance.. case in point: he has yet to even take a set against the spaniard on clay whenever rafa's been anywhere near healthy.. which of course further cements the fact that his lonely victory against rafa at r garros in '09 was the flukiest of all flukes..

barahmasa
06-01-2011, 05:06 PM
as expected, the very same posters who bragged yesterday about sodo sending rafa packing in straight sets today blah blah blah... are now throwing the swede under the bus in true 'fck you, fck the world' fashion.. now it's sodo you biatch, you worthless piece o shat motha fcker, go kill your worthless arse, sodo.. blah blah blah ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ LOL what COMPLETE FOOLS these rafa haters be.. :haha:

Not that it's any different with rafa tards when it's about fed or nole hate :wavey:

abraxas21
06-01-2011, 05:07 PM
expected

Garson007
06-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Rafa played pretty good, imho. Not a fan, but meh.

I feel sorry for the net, Soderling really bashed the ball into it over and over and over again.

henke007
06-01-2011, 05:08 PM
The wind destroyed a great possible match. Robin was spraying and without a serve but still made 4-6 6-7 sets. Reminded me a bit about the match against Fed at US OPEN in the same conditions. Totally destroyed in the first 2 sets and then setpoint to a fifth.

Robin didn't get that chance today.

Rafa fans should still be very scared of the remaining players in the draw if the conditions are hot and not windy..

Garson007
True and Branimir is the best Nole fan.
What about FM? :mad:

RNW
Good match.
A lot of nice points at the end of set 1 and in both second and third set.

Nadal was just on another level compared to his 4 matches here.
Söderling was good as well, very aggressive (of course with a lot of risk and so with a lot of unforced errors) but just doesn't find a way.

On this level Nadal can compete with the best players.
Although he is still very defensive there is a chance for him to win the whole tournament.

Filo V.
History disagrees with you as this happens all the time. If he faces Nadal, Federer will lose even if Nadal plays mediocre C-level tennis.

Most likely, I just wouldn't count Roger out. I'm probably thinking blindly, but Rafa just isn't playing well enough for me to say for sure he can beat Roger if they do play.

Commander Data
06-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Nadal raises from the ashes like phoenix :lol:

That was a good match from Nadal. :worship:

I think only Nole might stop him from now on, but even that is far from certain.

asotgod
Wow so many rafa haters, almost like a mass hysteria, everyone saying shit about him cause they know when his on he can't be stopped, at least not on clay. And deep down everyone knows he'll show his true self by the time the final comes. The power of fear.

There is no fear about Nadal's game. Even if you can be objective, you obviously can see that the match was donated to him. We can talk again when the Djoker plays him in the final and whatever is left of Nadal's confidence is removed from him.

Jomp1
I'm not a hater, I like Soderling. But some people keep expecting him to beat top players in big situations. He's done it like 3 times in his career. He has very poor records against the elite players. So if we look realistically, he shouldn't be put in that discussion ever. He's simply not good enough and his history shows he can't play at that level at a consistent basis and beat the best of the best.

But he is very good as the #1 guy in the best of the rest pack.

Pretty much what I'm saying, seems like we're on the same page. Just hate people hating on Soderling for getting beaten by one of the best in the game, and maybe the best clay player ever. He's the only one at least pushing the best in the quarters, whereas the other top10 players are out of the tournament since early rounds.

chenx15
Rafa is back in form mentally. I really like fed but i think only Nole will stand a chance with this guy. Still I believe in Fed the most

Ilovetheblues_86
06-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Soderling motivation was very low. Take a year out of the circuit dear.

MalwareDie
Good match.
A lot of nice points at the end of set 1 and in both second and third set.

Nadal was just on another level compared to his 4 matches here.
Söderling was good as well, very aggressive (of course with a lot of risk and so with a lot of unforced errors) but just doesn't find a way.

On this level Nadal can compete with the best players.
Although he is still very defensive there is a chance for him to win the whole tournament.

:spit: Do you have functioning eyes?

oneandonlyhsn
The wind is turning the matches during the last 2 days awful to watch. Errors galore, hope the wind dies down soon, or rains so we can watch some good tennis again

tennizen
What about FM? :mad:

He is the best Nole troll:D

Filo V.
Doesn't matter what Roger can do. Because it's Djokovic who'll be doing it all on Sunday. We've all given up hope on Federer when he's up against Nadal.

Djokovic obviously has a better chance to win over Nadal, but I think Roger definitely could beat him.

Angled Backhand
06-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Rog can come to the net to finish the point off. But Rafa has got the mugginess out of his system it seems. I wonder if he was trolling us with his attitude. Rog WILL find a way to lose. He will blow 40 break points, he will shank 60 backhands, he'll hit 20 stupid droppers at the wrong moment and he will be exposed on his forehand side.

barahmasa
06-01-2011, 05:12 PM
moral of the story: on clay, when rafa's healthy, sodo doesn't stand a chance.. case in point: he has yet to even take a set against the spaniard on clay whenever rafa's been anywhere near healthy.. which of course further cements the fact that his lonely victory against rafa at r garros in '09 was the flukiest of all flukes..

If you you repeat that enough times you may actually start to believe it, but others won't :p :wavey:

Garson007
06-01-2011, 05:13 PM
He is the best Nole troll:D
:D

Topspindoctor
06-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Vintage Nadal defense. Loved the trademark fist pump. First time he's showing he cares about the game in this tournament. He's winning his 6th RG this Sunday, book it.

JolánGagó
06-01-2011, 05:14 PM

do you have functioning brain?

rethorical, of course.

Commander Data
06-01-2011, 05:16 PM

Why? I agree with RNW's assessment....

abraxas21
06-01-2011, 05:17 PM

frustration and anger are integral and perpetual parts of MTF

nole_no1
06-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Soderling lost the match at 5-5 in the third when he should have broken but missed some easy shots

barahmasa
There is no fear about Nadal's game. Even if you can be objective, you obviously can see that the match was donated to him. We can talk again when the Djoker plays him in the final and whatever is left of Nadal's confidence is removed from him.

Oh god, it wasn't donated, he played against a clueless guy, he played as much as he needed, if there was need for it he'd play much better, but why waste energy on a mug like soderling!?
Just wait and see Rafa's two other matches left, Nole probably won't be so generous like soder, but rafa will beat him too, I wonder what will you guys be saying then... :o

ExcaliburII
Nadal played a very good match :yeah:

Mjau!
06-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Rafa has such a lucky draw! 4 :o, Robin in a hurricane and injured Murray. :rolleyes:

Filo V.
06-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Pretty much what I'm saying, seems like we're on the same page. Just hate people hating on Soderling for getting beaten by one of the best in the game, and maybe the best clay player ever. He's the only one at least pushing the best in the quarters, whereas the other top10 players are out of the tournament since early rounds.

That's true. He and also Ferrer (for the most part) are the only ones who show consistency and the ability to play up to their seedings tournament in and out. Soderling doesn't lose to bad players, he wins when he's supposed to for the most part, and he's able to at least threaten the top players a lot of times, so that to me makes him the 5th (or 6th depending on where you rank Del Potro) best player on tour definitely, which is a good accomplishment in itself.

straitup
06-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Robin must've thought Rafa was a pain in the ass with those wide serves on the ad-court on break points...worked every time Nadal was in a hole

careergrandslam
06-01-2011, 05:28 PM
still not impressed by nadal.

just waiting for errors.

shiaben
06-01-2011, 05:28 PM
"lol" at all the idiots that thought Soderling would "crush" Nadal.

Mjau!
06-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Robin complained about Rafa's cheating in the third set when looking to break! It clearly threw him off! This Rafa will stop at nothing to win!

Corey Feldman
06-01-2011, 05:30 PM
there there Nadal, no need to cry and piss and moan to the whole world about how bad your tennis was afterall :hug: *pat pat*

what a fucking bullshit panic merchant :lol:

Alex999
06-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Soderling was horrible. His first serve was almost non existent. Nadal didn't really have to do anything special to win this match.

peribsen
06-01-2011, 05:32 PM
:zzz: (expected reaction from the MTF crowd)

What makes me laugh is to see so many people behaving like if the wind had somehow been unfair on Soderling... like if it didn't blow for both players! Reminds me of some posters saying that Nadal didn't deserve his win over Murray in IW 2009 because it was windy, like if knowing how to adapt your game to difficult atmospheric conditions wasn't in it's own right proof of technical prowess! :D

Corey Feldman
06-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Wimbledon 2nd week last year Nadal recovered from his early round injury v Petzschner

US Open last year he found the new Ivanisevic serve from somewhere

2nd week of RG this year he changed the racquet tension and suddenly hits top form from playing horrible and being tired

its incredible :eek:

peribsen
06-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Robin complained about Rafa's cheating in the third set when looking to break! It clearly threw him off! This Rafa will stop at nothing to win!

Cheating? where? will you ever stop whinning when your hero takes a thrashing?

Commander Data
06-01-2011, 05:35 PM

just waiting for errors.

:stupid:

Nadal is close to his normal clay game, which is almost impossible to crack. Nobody cares if you are impress by the 6th time RG champ.

Sod played a decent match for his level.

star
06-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Wimbledon 2nd week last year Nadal recovered from his early round injury v Petzschner

US Open last year he found the new Ivanisevic serve from somewhere

2nd week of RG this year he changed the racquet tension and suddenly hits top form from playing horrible and being tired

its incredible :eek:

GOATesque, no?

Angled Backhand
06-01-2011, 05:37 PM
By the way, this match is a bit similar to Federer-Monfils match. Wind fucking up the play for Gael and Robin, especially the serve and thus they panicked. The wind was huge in the Fed-Mon match though, less today it seemed.

Sunset of Age
06-01-2011, 05:43 PM
By the way, this match is a bit similar to Federer-Monfils match. Wind fucking up the play for Gael and Robin, especially the serve and thus they panicked. The wind was huge in the Fed-Mon match though, less today it seemed.

Which forms a perfect illustration as to why Nadal and Federer are multiple-GS champions: they are capable of adjusting their play to the circumstances a lot better than the lesser gods.

anticaria
06-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Not that it's any different with rafa tards when it's about fed or nole hate :wavey:

lol i seriously doubt there's an equivalent scenario vis a vis rafa's biatch (aka, roger) or nole.. i mean can you think of a single example of a player who trails either roger or nole by at least the same margin on any surface as sodo trails rafa on clay (1:4) suddenly being proclaimed the next roger or nole nemesis on that surface? there's simply no comparison.. yet sodo suddenly pulls off a fluke win on clay against an injured rafa in '09 and he's automatically anointed as 'the one'.. :haha:

again, there's simply no comparison.. the sheer WISHFULNESS of the rafa haters when it comes to sodo is on an EPIC FAIL level of its own.. :wavey:

peribsen
06-01-2011, 05:47 PM

Quite, while Rafa had been given all the opposing winds tied in a bundle by Eolus(*) so that they never ever blowed against him too...

(* if you don't understand this, read up your Odyssey)

paseo
06-01-2011, 05:49 PM

just waiting for errors.

Nadal's game at its core, is a defensive one. Most of the matches he won in his career were due to great defense and waiting for errors. Yes, he plays aggressive from time to time, but that doesn't change the fact that he's a defensive player. And why should he change? He's the best at it. Play to your strength.

As for the match, Soderling was disappointing. Nadal played like I expect him to, but Soderling was just shit. Good vs shit? Good won, shit lost. That's it.

Next.

mystic ice cube
06-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Soderling was pretty terrible today, apart from the 3rd set. Nadal like the champion he is took his opportunity and put him away in 3. Djokovic will still probably win the final in straights against Nadal (if they both get through their matches), but he played better today than he has done throughout the whole tournament.

Sapeod
06-01-2011, 05:59 PM
http://www.roflcat.com/images/cats/Haters_Gonna_Hate.jpg
This is all you seem to post. I guess you can't put your gloating into words? Weird, I hear Nadaltards are usually very good at that.

Soderling was bad. Very bad. Muzza won't be that bad. Nadal will be pushed by Muzza MUCH more than today. It was pretty pathetic from Robin, I'm very disappointed.

star
06-01-2011, 06:05 PM
People forget that it was windy. Almost as windy as yesterday. Good luck hitting those freaking moonballs. One player played tennis. The other one played anti-tennis. He won but I'm sure he lost fans with that performance anyway. Soderling will see you again in the grass season and in the indoor season. Wind wont save Rafito then. Good luck Djokovic in the Finals. Can't let the male version of Wozniacki win 10 slams

:hug:

Clay Death
06-01-2011, 06:08 PM
:stupid:

Nadal is close to his normal clay game, which is almost impossible to crack. Nobody cares if you are impress by the 6th time RG champ.

Sod played a decent match for his level.

affirmative cd#2.

he still needs a 4 hour match with murray to complete his preparation.

still some work to be done. he could lose a set against murray but it will do him good. he needs a strong test.

and then he will destroy his adversary in the final. expect him to play like never before.

the focus and the intensity will be there. and so will the relentless will.

i told these folks here just yesterday that soderling had ZERO chance but they would not listen.

Corey Feldman
06-01-2011, 06:11 PM
topspindoctor is stealing my pictures

OP starter should be puting the tie break score at the end, unreal.

Start da Game
06-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Nadal's game at its core, is a defensive one. Most of the matches he won in his career were due to great defense and waiting for errors. Yes, he plays aggressive from time to time, but that doesn't change the fact that he's a defensive player. And why should he change? He's the best at it. Play to your strength.

As for the match, Soderling was disappointing. Nadal played like I expect him to, but Soderling was just shit. Good vs shit? Good won, shit lost. That's it.

Next.

nadal's game is not a defense oriented one at its core, paseo......he is an offensive thinker and a destructive baseliner who happens to possess arguably the greatest defense in the sport......

there was no other way he was going to win today, this is exactly how he had to do it and i said this yesterday itself.......he would block and block and block soderling into submission.......nadal knows it's not wise to throw fire with fire and swing wildly along with soderling.......

watch how nadal plays his next opponent, it will be murray who will be doing all the running left and right like a rabbit......murray will try to be aggressive like on hardcourts but that works for jackshit on clay against nadal.......

it will be nadal who will be dictating the play.......i expect him to take out murray with something like 6-4, 6-3, 6-4.......

@Sweet Cleopatra
06-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Rafa was amazing :worship::worship:

chammer44
06-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Djokovic must tear this fool's heart out.

djb84xi
06-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Djokovic crushes Nadal 6-1 6-3 6-0 in the final. He didn't bring it at all. He brought his C game and fortunately for him, Soderling was horrible.

What the hell are you talking about? If this is the best you can do to bash Nadal, that's pathetic.

iriraz
06-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Soderling is always a terrible wind player.2 years ago at the Us Open when he played Federer he won like 1 game in first two sets only to play better after that.That pretty much happened today as well as he never got really into the match.

Seingeist
06-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Quite disappointing that Soderling did not make more of a contest of it.

luie
06-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Soderlings lack of spin & defense cost him the match.

bright
06-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Too good, this Rafa. 6 formal sets before crowning our champ again:worship:

TheRafaelNadal
06-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Whats this about people saying Sod had this Nadal is out and all this bollocks? I said people were hoping Nadal lost not Expecting. Noone can beat the God of tennis. Well Soderling did it 2 years ago when Nadal was Injured. Fully fit NAdal is almost impossible to beat over 5 sets. This is Fact of Life. Last time he lost a Grand Slam Match when he was fit was Federer at wimbledon about 4 years ago.

hipolymer
06-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Whats this about people saying Sod had this Nadal is out and all this bollocks? I said people were hoping Nadal lost not Expecting. Noone can beat the God of tennis. Well Soderling did it 2 years ago when Nadal was Injured. Fully fit NAdal is almost impossible to beat over 5 sets. This is Fact of Life. Last time he lost a Grand Slam Match when he was fit was Federer at wimbledon about 4 years ago.

So you admit Nadal is fully fit?

Good, now we have no excuses for when Nadal loses in the final.

Everko
06-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Nadal dominated through and through. Not even a contest. He is just now finding his form its scary for everyone. Enough nonsense, time to dethrone the Serbian Slayer.

rocketassist
06-01-2011, 07:18 PM

Murray at the US Open 2008.

Sapeod
06-01-2011, 07:21 PM
6-2 6-2 6-2 sound familiar?

Remember when Del Potro absolutely crushed Nadal? And don't bother saying Nadal was injured, because he wasn't. He was just destroyed by the better hardcourt player.

Young 8
06-01-2011, 07:23 PM

So, you are using your own quotes in the signature ?

That's interesting

:unsure:

Myrre
06-01-2011, 07:24 PM
So you admit Nadal is fully fit?

Good, now we have no excuses for when Nadal loses in the final.

He's fully fit if and only if he wins.

NadalesDios
06-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Nadal will win sunday his 6th Roland Garros as expected, he is the best player in history

BodyServe
06-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Nadal had the "exact" same 1st serve %, average 1st and 2nd serve speed as the 2009 match, Soderling almost 10 % and 10 kph lower for all.
I mean... nuff said.

Everko
06-01-2011, 07:27 PM
So, you are using your own quotes in the signature ?

That's interesting

:unsure:

three of the best quotes I have seen on this site

Sapeod
06-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Nadal will win sunday his 6th Roland Garros as expected, he is the best player in history
I think a few players, namely Federer, Sampras, Borg and Laver will have something to say about that.

Vida
06-01-2011, 07:44 PM
scary shit. the forehand is clicking.

ossie
06-01-2011, 07:50 PM
flukerling

Sapeod
06-01-2011, 07:53 PM
flukerling
2 RG finals does not equal a fluke.

Mr. Oracle
06-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Happy to see Rafa coming into form. A FO final without him would be wrong. Like he said champs find a way to win when they're not playing 100%.

Now please send murray home and save tennis.

Ljubo_rulz
06-01-2011, 08:14 PM
2 RG finals does not equal a fluke.

Nobodt really cares about finals. Toad can play in 10 finals and he'll still be mm player, just like Murray.

Elaka Farmor
06-01-2011, 08:18 PM

Yes, and he has won US OP and Wimbledon 5 years in a row :haha:

Sophocles
06-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Amazing the people talking smug nonsense about the wind, as though this would ever have remotely the same effect on Nadull's moonballs as on somebody playing high-risk, real tennis, with an absurdly high ball toss on serve to boot.

As far as I'm aware Sod has beaten Nadull only twice, once that time at R.G. & once indoors. Well, any half-decent player can beat Nadal indoors. The R.G. win had nothing to do with Nadull's imaginary "injury" & everything to do with the fact that a remarkably high percentage of Soderling's big shots went in for once. This is unlikely to happen more than once in 10 matches against Nadal, & Soderling doesn't have the option of being more patient & waiting for his opportunity to strike, because he doesn't have the defence to stay in the rally long enough. (This is the main reason he's poor in general against the Top 4.) So rather annoyingly I have to agree with the Nadulltards who are saying that relying on Soderling to beat Nadal is pointless.

bright
06-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Yes, and he has won US OP and Wimbledon 5 years in a row :haha:
This is quite sad that Nadal fans seems don't bother themselves reading to what their hero says every now and then that Rogie is his numbero uno in history of the sport.:o

NadalPhan
06-01-2011, 08:24 PM
If Rafa keeps playing the way he did today, good luck to whoever faces him from now on. Djokovic included.

Fedexpress#11
06-01-2011, 08:32 PM

I agree when I woke up, I thought Nadal would be subpar. But it was Robin who wasnt playing 100%

Arkulari
06-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Rafa was much much much solid in defense than he has ever been in this RG, some of his signature FH DTL, the BH is still garbage but he managed to defend well enough with his FH, good stuff Rafa! :)

Now Toad? Serve was inexistent, specially in the second set, and I don't mean just because of Rafa's ROS but because of his own inability to serve well, good luck in Halle now Robin ;)

Commander Data
06-01-2011, 08:38 PM
the amount of idiots in this thread is quite amusing :lol:

Commander Data
06-01-2011, 08:47 PM
The Nadal haters should take a more realistic view point, Nadal is probably gonna take his 6th RG crown. Soderling was playing well except the beginning, still Nadal beat him fairly comfortable. Murray won't trouble him more. Fed? we know the story..:sad: Nole? Lets see but this will be way more difficult then best of three. This will be RG Final and Nole might be pretty drained already from fighting with Fed in the SF.

Sod had chances but it is not like players never had chances against Nadal in the past. The story was just that Nadal's overall level and defense was to strong and the opponents needed to play at a too high level to keep up which, over the long run, they could not. similar today, that was vintage Nadal here.

Nadal was shit in the earlier rounds, he may revert to that level and in that case Murray or the finalist will win but if the trend continues we will see the normal Nadal in the final. In that case only Nole with his best game has a chance. But I think the pressure may be a bit too high for Nole in that case.

Overall Nadal is the likely RG Champ 2011.

Data over...

Mechlan
06-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Nadal picked up his level. He'll have to pick it up again to beat Murray. And more to beat Djokovic.

DrJules
06-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Reasonable / good performance from Nadal and in the wind against Soderling was always likely to be the winner. Expected Nadal to win 4 sets, but Soderling was poor.

Djokovic remains the most impressive player so far at RG 2011 and would have beaten the Nadal of today.

Commander Data
06-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Nadal picked up his level. He'll have to pick it up again to beat Murray.

:cuckoo:

NadalPhan
06-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Reasonable / good performance from Nadal and in the wind against Soderling was always likely to be the winner. Expected Nadal to win 4 sets, but Soderling was poor.

Djokovic remains the most impressive player so far at RG 2011 and would have beaten the Nadal of today.

Not today he wouldn't.

DrJules
06-01-2011, 09:04 PM

Too early to make that call.

star
06-01-2011, 09:06 PM

High praise for Nadal from you.

:worship:

Sophocles
06-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Djokovic will absolutely **** Nadull in the final. He owns that famous ass.

MIMIC
06-01-2011, 09:08 PM

Shut up, Novak. :cool:

NadalPhan
06-01-2011, 09:08 PM

And yet still has a losing record against him.

Ljubo_rulz
06-01-2011, 09:09 PM
7-2 last 9 matches, 4-0 this year. He's roasted.

Sophocles
06-01-2011, 09:18 PM
And yet still has a losing record against him.

Not this year, buddy. Wake up & smell the coffee.

guga2120
06-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Rafa, still nowhere near his best, but more than enough for the Swede. He will need to go up about 2 levels to even have a good match with Novak.

Clay Death
06-01-2011, 09:20 PM
The Nadal haters should take a more realistic view point, Nadal is probably gonna take his 6th RG crown. Soderling was playing well except the beginning, still Nadal beat him fairly comfortable. Murray won't trouble him more. Fed? we know the story..:sad: Nole? Lets see but this will be way more difficult then best of three. This will be RG Final and Nole might be pretty drained already from fighting with Fed in the SF.

Sod had chances but it is not like players never had chances against Nadal in the past. The story was just that Nadal's overall level and defense was to strong and the opponents needed to play at a too high level to keep up which, over the long run, they could not. similar today, that was vintage Nadal here.

Nadal was shit in the earlier rounds, he may revert to that level and in that case Murray or the finalist will win but if the trend continues we will see the normal Nadal in the final. In that case only Nole with his best game has a chance. But I think the pressure may be a bit too high for Nole in that case.

Overall Nadal is the likely RG Champ 2011.

Data over...

excellent post.

people keep crying about how soderling was off.

he was kept off by the player across the net from him. nadal suffocated his will.

soderling knows a little too well---deep inside-- that he has no chance against a healthy clay warrior. and THAT was the problem.

for the record clay warrior had 13 unforced errors.

he could have done better than that but he is still not quite in rhythm.

Clay Death
06-01-2011, 09:23 PM

that is not going to happen but you can have these wet dreams all you like.

when are you going to wise up general?

healthy nadal cannot be defeated in battle at roland garros.

Sophocles
06-01-2011, 09:33 PM
that is not going to happen but you can have these wet dreams all you like.

when are you going to wise up general?

healthy nadal cannot be defeated in battle at roland garros.

You're kidding yourself C.D. Healthy Nadal played well & with good tactics in Rome & still couldn't take a tired Djoker to a tie-break. I said before the tournament you had to make the 5-time champion the favourite, but given the form they've both shown so far, anything other than a Djokovic win is inconceivable.

alter ego
06-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Major let down. I was thinking about this match all day long. I never imagined that Soderling would play this bad.

Clay Death
06-01-2011, 09:56 PM
You're kidding yourself C.D. Healthy Nadal played well & with good tactics in Rome & still couldn't take a tired Djoker to a tie-break. I said before the tournament you had to make the 5-time champion the favourite, but given the form they've both shown so far, anything other than a Djokovic win is inconceivable.

you are comparing apples with oranges general sophocles.

slam finals with best of 5 sets foremats are not the same as finals with best of 3 sets foremats.

you say "anything other than a Djokovic win is inconceivable". that actually says that you cant even imagine nadal winning it.

and that also tells me that you have been watching some other sport: perhaps mud diving or even bass fishing tournaments.

well prepare for your hell general since so you are hung up on somebody beating nadal.

it is not happening this year or the next at roland garros.

healthy nadal cannot be defeated in a best of 5 sets final at roland garros. you can make book on that.

Dougie
06-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Until Djokovic beats Nadal in a best-of-five match on clay, Nadal will be the favorite. Winning Rome and madrid is great, but RG is another thing. I´m not saying it can´t happen, it´s very possible, but Nadal is still the favorite.

Time Violation
06-01-2011, 10:20 PM
healthy nadal cannot be defeated in a best of 5 sets final at roland garros. you can make book on that.

And if he does get defeated, then what? Not healthy again? :)

Commander Data
06-01-2011, 10:23 PM

beating Fed will be no walk in the park. Nole will need to do a lot fo running. Fed will take it to him.

Does he have the strenght to beat Fed and Nadal back to back on best of 5 on clay?

Lets face it that will be a level above to what what has done so far the last couple months. I don't say he can't do it, but it will be very tough. If he can I :worship: to him. but I doubt that there will be a beatdown. It will be war.

Pirata.
06-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Unbelievable how this guy can play like utter shit the first week of a tournament and still come out unscathed.

moon language
06-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Nadal looked a lot better, but he's still hitting over the backhand at times when he'd do better to just slice, and the backhand overall is still not quite where it needs to be.

The wind does not suit Soderling very well, but that's how the cookie crumbles when you have a high risk style. Live by the sword die by the sword.

ossie
06-01-2011, 11:04 PM
what happened to all the flukerfans

FlameOn
06-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Robin. :hug:

Rafa! :bigclap: Way to pick up your game when it counted. :yeah:

sexybeast
06-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Wow, Nadal was moonballing like crazy. How does Nadal think this kind of game will work out against Djokovic?

Corswandt
06-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Watched only the third set TB, with Nadal failing to hit a single BH that cleared the service line and Soderling making more boneheaded errors than a WTA ballbasher. Quality stuff.

stewietennis
06-01-2011, 11:32 PM
The scoreline doesn't matter, how you got there doesn't matter – in the end, the W is all that counts.

MaxPower
06-01-2011, 11:36 PM
what happened to all the flukerfans

still here. Doesn't matter. It was to windy today for Robin. He had 3 break chances to claim a set anyway which is quite amazing in the wind. Doesn't work to play with high ball toss and play to close to the lines under the conditions. But Rafa did a good defensive match and played great on some important points. Hats off for that :hatoff:

Soderling simply can't outdo Nadal in a moonball contest. I can live with that. Grass and hardcourt season is coming. So is the indoor matches. Soderling will see Rafa again then. Maybe already in Wimbledon. Then he is going down! :rocker: just like he is going down to Djokovic in the finals....:angel:

MayerFan
06-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Unbelievable how this guy can play like utter shit the first week of a tournament and still come out unscathed.

Nadal or Soderling?

Sophocles
06-01-2011, 11:54 PM
you are comparing apples with oranges general sophocles.

slam finals with best of 5 sets foremats are not the same as finals with best of 3 sets foremats.

you say "anything other than a Djokovic win is inconceivable". that actually says that you cant even imagine nadal winning it.

and that also tells me that you have been watching some other sport: perhaps mud diving or even bass fishing tournaments.

well prepare for your hell general since so you are hung up on somebody beating nadal.

it is not happening this year or the next at roland garros.

C.D., what exactly is the difference between Djoker winning 2 straight sets - as he has now easily done twice, so make that 4 straight sets - & 3 straight sets? The only thing you can hope for is a miraculous rise in Nadal's level of play. Then we might see something like Rome 2006.

ExcaliburII
06-01-2011, 11:57 PM
C.D., what exactly is the difference between Djoker winning 2 straight sets - as he has now easily done twice, so make that 4 straight sets - & 3 straight sets? The only thing you can hope for is a miraculous rise in Nadal's level of play. Then we might see something like Rome 2006.

Of course there is a difference.
Matches are thought in a different way, and mentally its completely different.

Nole Rules
06-01-2011, 11:57 PM

Wrong, Clay Death.
Nole CAN beat Rafa in RG final. He has the game and champion's heart to do that.

Nole Rules
06-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Clay Death, you said Rafa won't lose to Nole in Rome and Nole proved you very wrong.

Sophocles
06-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Of course there is a difference.
Matches are thought in a different way, and mentally its completely different.

And mentally, who do you think is more confident right now in the Nadal-Djoker match-up?

ExcaliburII
06-02-2011, 12:05 AM
And mentally, who do you think is more confident right now in the Nadal-Djoker match-up?

Its a Grand Slam, its Roland Garros, id say Nadal.

Whats Nadal's record in best of 5 matches on clay? Is it something like 60-1?

Ackms421
06-02-2011, 12:05 AM

It's not that big of a difference. But to be fair Roland Garros is slower than Rome or Madrid. It's more like Monte Carlo, which Djokovic wisely skipped. That is the one variable still in play. So yes, five sets on this clay I still give to Nadal. And it's true that his game is always upped for finals, so we'll see.

It's also true that this is as consistently poor as he's looked in a long time, so I do hope he picks it up for Wimbledon.

Sophocles
06-02-2011, 12:16 AM

What was his record in clay-court finals until this year? In finals against Djokovic? On clay against Djokovic?

You never step into the same river twice.

Nole Rules
06-02-2011, 12:20 AM
LOL at the people who thinks the title is Rafa's to lose.

cajuntennis
06-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Djokovic is not going to the finals

Topspindoctor
06-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Grass and hardcourt season is coming. So is the indoor matches. Soderling will see Rafa again then. Maybe already in Wimbledon. Then he is going down! :rocker: just like he is going down to Djokovic in the finals....:angel:

I hear Nadal is weak on grass.

Clay Death
06-02-2011, 12:52 AM

well said.

equally importantly clay warrior is 6-0 in his last 6 finals at slams.

he has the gears to step it up and produce better focus and intensity.

lot of things are wrong with his game but he only needs one good match and that comes in the final.

today he showed what just 2% improvement in focus and intensity can do.

Clay Death
06-02-2011, 12:53 AM
looks like general sophocles is grasping at something.

clay warrior is not going away. and there is nobody on this planet that is stopping him in the final.

might as well seek some therapy mate.

Sophocles
06-02-2011, 12:57 AM
looks like general sophocles is grasping at something.

clay warrior is not going away.

might as well seek some therapy mate.

Don't get antagonistic with me, old bean. I know Nadal isn't going away.

He's just losing to Djokovic.

Mungo
06-02-2011, 01:02 AM
Nadal saved tennis. Good for the game. And expected. Healthy fit Nadal always beats Soderling, that's the real story between these two, even with these fast balls on red hardcourts. Nadal owns Soderling. Period. What's their H2H now? LOL! It's not even worth to be on my sig. Nice to see the claycourt GOAT back to his usual level. Soderling being classless again and using gamesmanship with the umpire, pathetic. Only good thing is he didn't cheat with the wrong marks this time. Good to see some jerks in the crowd schooled by Nadal again, they don't belong on a tennis stadium.

Clay Death
06-02-2011, 01:13 AM
Don't get antagonistic with me, old bean. I know Nadal isn't going away.

He's just losing to Djokovic.

listen to me you old broken record and you will go far.

now how about some free therapy? socialized medicine is right around the corner there. make the appointment in the morning.

who are you going to pin your hopes on in london? and then at the u.s. open?

isnt it clear that you are just about dying here just to see a top player get beat by somebody?

is that anyway to enjoy the sport you miserable old wretch.

well all kidding aside, murray is the story of the tournament from my vantage point.

and its not going to be easy but you know nadal is not getting off the court without a win on friday.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
06-02-2011, 01:35 AM
I hear Nadal is weak on grass.

i hear muster never got past the 1st round on REAL grass at wimbledon

so much for nadal having talent on real grass

just a mug

a cheating time wasting mug

who will lose

Mimi
06-02-2011, 01:37 AM
only 200+posts when Rafa won, 1,000+post when he lost :lol:

it seems that rafa haters have to wait a bit longer before they can celebrate his lost. The king of clay, even though played at his worst ever level, still managed to beat the powerful Soderling in straight sets :haha:

Clay Death
06-02-2011, 01:51 AM
well said mimi.

envy fungicitis is an epidemic evidently.

paseo
06-02-2011, 01:57 AM
nadal's game is not a defense oriented one at its core, paseo......he is an offensive thinker and a destructive baseliner who happens to possess arguably the greatest defense in the sport......

there was no other way he was going to win today, this is exactly how he had to do it and i said this yesterday itself.......he would block and block and block soderling into submission.......nadal knows it's not wise to throw fire with fire and swing wildly along with soderling.......

watch how nadal plays his next opponent, it will be murray who will be doing all the running left and right like a rabbit......murray will try to be aggressive like on hardcourts but that works for jackshit on clay against nadal.......

it will be nadal who will be dictating the play.......i expect him to take out murray with something like 6-4, 6-3, 6-4.......

I don't know, SdG. I still feel that Nadal is a defensive player. But, you're right about the tactics against Soderling, worked like a charm.

And you're underestimating Murray. Nadal will beat him of course, but I think it's gonna be a long and grueling match.

Mimi
06-02-2011, 01:58 AM
I am very surprised. I thought Nadal would tank here and blame it on family issues to avoid facing his master in the final. Oh well. A 6-0 set in the final should teach him not to play with fire. Nadal's retirement party is close

rafa is never a coward, you may not like his game but he is more than happy to take the challenges. The cowards are those who are hiding behind the computer, bad mouthing others viciously, critising players' games like crazy while he/she cannot even hit one shot in a tennis court.

Mimi
06-02-2011, 02:03 AM

blind hatre has covered your eyes, Rafa hit 24 winners, Soderling just 8 more than him. Waiting for errors ? :rolleyes:

those blind over-hitting from Soderling is tennis :scratch:

NadalPhan
06-02-2011, 02:56 AM
If Djokovic gets crushed by Rafa if they do meet in the finals.

Sophocles: Too bad Djokovic chose today to play a bad match. Any mid-card player plaing at a decent level would beat Nadal today. Nadal is the luckiest man on Earth and this is the most fraudulent slam he's ever won.

LinkMage
06-02-2011, 03:09 AM
Pathetic from Soderling. I expected him to win one set, but Nadull's victory was never in doubt.

Clay Death
06-02-2011, 04:09 AM
truth be told nadal clay way warrior is still far from his best.

he just played a little more focused and a little more conservative match.
he knew if he kept it clean (just 13 unforced errors), it would be more than enough for soderling.

he will need the heavy artillery for his next 2 matches. he will need to be more aggressive off the ground.

Infinity
06-02-2011, 04:24 AM
Nadal played 10 levels below his best and managed to win in straights!

Start da Game
06-02-2011, 05:05 AM
his forehand down the line is starting to fire.....

*bunny*
06-02-2011, 05:10 AM
During the match, I was feeling like I was watching Rafa play on clay for the first time this season. From the very first point, his shots were alive and had depth, something I missed this whole clay season before yesterday. He still needs to up the gear by a few notches later this week, but I'm glad he's finally finding his game again. :yeah:

Start da Game
06-02-2011, 05:18 AM
yes, peaking just about at the right time.......he absolutely willed his way through the first week with torrid form and this is the reward now.......

some credit must also go to john isner for rattling him in the first round and bringing him to his senses after those mind blackening defeats at the hands of nole......

careergrandslam
06-02-2011, 05:28 AM
nadal is not winning this title.

very defensive and guys like murray, djokovic/federer will not miss like soderling.

BULLZ1LLA
06-02-2011, 05:57 AM
(^ Rafa showed how his forehand down the line is in lethal form. So you will see that vs Murray. Rafa didn't want to overuse that shot vs Soderling because the tactic vs Soderling is to keep errors to an absolute minimum, so don't attack too much. Defense was the key to beating Soderling in 2010 RG Final. You will never see Rafa consistently attack Soderling, because that's the wrong tactic. Why should you take risks when you will beat Soderling in 3 sets by playing defensive? Soderling is always going to hand Rafa cheap points via unforced errors, because Soderling sucks at maintaining consistency, so why should Rafa give Soderling cheap points by attacking? Take advantage of Soderling's inconsistency. This is how Rafa has recently owned Tsonga and Cilic too. Never attack when you don't have to, just work the point and keep it deep [but not deep every ball, vary it occasionally to keep them off-balance and thinking], and Rafa did keep it deep vs Soderling, varied it when required, and won in 3 as expected. I predicted 6-4 6-2 6-4, and it almost was that, I underestimated Rafa in the 2nd set which he won 6-1 and Rafa would have been up 2 breaks in the 3rd set if not for an umpire mistake so the tie-breaker shouldn't have occurred)

Mimi
06-02-2011, 06:10 AM
nadal is not winning this title.

very defensive and guys like murray, djokovic/federer will not miss like soderling.

even if he did not win the title, at least he reached the semi-final and delayed his haters' celebration :dance:

careergrandslam
06-02-2011, 06:23 AM
even if he did not win the title, at least he reached the semi-final and delayed his haters' celebration :dance:

yea i suppose, but im so disappointed in nadal. he hasnt played well at RG since 2009 hewitt match in R3.

great champions dominate, he really struggled last year even though he won it without dropping a set. this year he is playing like an amateur club player.

just very disappointing, cant enjoy his matches anymore, always a nervous wreck because of his struggles.

he can bagel guys at smaller clay tournaments, but struggles alot at roland garros.

u would think if he is so great that he should be able to dominate at roland garros. im not talking about just the scoreline, but dominate the player, not waiting for errors.

im soooo angry and disappointed at rafa.

gaitare
06-02-2011, 06:28 AM
Humblito playing dirty mindgames with his opponents for a few weeks now ("My play is bad, no? I'm not winning this, no?"), taking pressure off himself. Well done, sir.

Mimi
06-02-2011, 06:52 AM
yea i suppose, but im so disappointed in nadal. he hasnt played well at RG since 2009 hewitt match in R3.

great champions dominate, he really struggled last year even though he won it without dropping a set. this year he is playing like an amateur club player.

just very disappointing, cant enjoy his matches anymore, always a nervous wreck because of his struggles.

he can bagel guys at smaller clay tournaments, but struggles alot at roland garros.

u would think if he is so great that he should be able to dominate at roland garros. im not talking about just the scoreline, but dominate the player, not waiting for errors.

im soooo angry and disappointed at rafa.

oh god, he is only human, not a machine. Even if he is a machine, it may sometimes mal-functioned. You are too hard on him :mad:

Mimi
06-02-2011, 06:53 AM
Humblito playing dirty mindgames with his opponents for a few weeks now ("My play is bad, no? I'm not winning this, no?"), taking pressure off himself. Well done, sir.

he has been playing these "dirty mindgames" for 6 years, if his opponents are still being affected by these, its their own fault, coz they are so damn foolish :haha:

A_Skywalker
06-02-2011, 06:54 AM
still here. Doesn't matter. It was to windy today for Robin. He had 3 break chances to claim a set anyway which is quite amazing in the wind. Doesn't work to play with high ball toss and play to close to the lines under the conditions. But Rafa did a good defensive match and played great on some important points. Hats off for that :hatoff:

Soderling simply can't outdo Nadal in a moonball contest. I can live with that. Grass and hardcourt season is coming. So is the indoor matches. Soderling will see Rafa again then. Maybe already in Wimbledon. Then he is going down! :rocker: just like he is going down to Djokovic in the finals....:angel:

Robin knows he cant win on grass too, just ask him..

careergrandslam
06-02-2011, 07:06 AM
oh god, he is only human, not a machine. Even if he is a machine, it may sometimes mal-functioned. You are too hard on him :mad:

no i dont think im too hard on him, its not being too hard on him expecting him to hit the tennis ball rather than waiting for opponent errors to win points.

he always shits himself everytime he has a chance of either equalling or breaking a record.

2009 RG he was going for 5 in a row to beat borg's record of 4 in a row and nadal shat himself and lost to soderling.

2011 AO he had a chance to win 4 slams in a row and he shat himself to ferrer.

2011 RG and having a chance to equal borg's total record of 6 titles and he is once again shitting himself.

once again the guy is not handling the pressure well.

Mimi
06-02-2011, 07:27 AM
no i dont think im too hard on him, its not being too hard on him expecting him to hit the tennis ball rather than waiting for opponent errors to win points.

he always shits himself everytime he has a chance of either equalling or breaking a record.

2009 RG he was going for 5 in a row to beat borg's record of 4 in a row and nadal shat himself and lost to soderling.

2011 AO he had a chance to win 4 slams in a row and he shat himself to ferrer.

2011 RG and having a chance to equal borg's total record of 6 titles and he is once again shitting himself.

once again the guy is not handling the pressure well.

Overall, he has been handling the pressure pretty well. He beat the mighty king Roger in RG 2005 when he was just a teenager. He bravely challenged the king in 2006 wimby when he barely knew how to play on grass. He won the 09 AO after the 5 hours battle with Nando ...........

you can't expect him to do well in every match and in every tournament :p

careergrandslam
06-02-2011, 07:30 AM
Overall, he has been handling the pressure pretty well. He beat the mighty king Roger in RG 2005 when he was just a teenager. He bravely challenged the king in 2006 wimby when he barely knew how to play on grass. He won the 09 AO after the 5 hours battle with Nando ...........

you can't expect him to do well in every match and in every tournament :p

in all 3 of those he had no pressure, nothing to lose.

peribsen
06-02-2011, 07:30 AM

he has been playing these "dirty mindgames" for 6 years, if his opponents are still being affected by these, its their own fault, coz they are so damn foolish :haha:

I think he isn't playing with his opponents as much as with himself. I think he was being frank. He really felt in dire straits and had to pull his act together, and the first step is realism about his own game.

People will always insist Rafa acts for the benefit of others, but they miss the point, he acts mostly for his own nerves. Like taking it slow while serving, many will insist it's some form of gamesmanship done on purpose to disrupt his opponents, while in fact he does it mainly to prop up his own concentration.

acionescu
06-02-2011, 07:49 AM

The truth is that he took these mindgames to a new level now, he actually played like crap for 4 matches only to have his rivals fooled :eek: :worship:

JolánGagó
06-02-2011, 07:57 AM
In fact he tanked RG-09 as a kickstart to his genius mindgames for taking RG-11

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

gaitare
06-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Of course he's playing some proper mind games here, when in the past Rafa was saying "Me play bad, my game not good here, Roger favourite" everybody knew it was his usual bullshit self. But here, he fooled everybody by saying he's playing bad WHEN playing bad, piling up the pressure on his opponents, who now have to beat a supposedly subpar Nadal, which is always an extra chance for them and a pression when Nadal himself is calmly switching into third gear. Genius at work, this Rafa, I applaud. Usual props go to Uncle Toni, too, so cunning.

Irrefutable logic, no?

Nidhogg
06-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Too good. Robin would have needed his first serve firing way earlier to make a match out of this, but hey, he lived up to his seeding at a slam yet again. Good show in the third set. I always enjoy watching him play against Nadal on this type of clay with his monster shots.

Onward and upward for the evergreen fluke. :sport:

Mimi
06-02-2011, 08:29 AM
in all 3 of those he had no pressure, nothing to lose.

for a person who can't handle pressure well but still won 9 slams, its a great achievement :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

gaitare
06-02-2011, 08:30 AM
I think he isn't playing with his opponents as much as with himself. I think he was being frank. He really felt in dire straits and had to pull his act together, and the first step is realism about his own game.

People will always insist Rafa acts for the benefit of others, but they miss the point, he acts mostly for his own nerves. Like taking it slow while serving, many will insist it's some form of gamesmanship done on purpose to disrupt his opponents, while in fact he does it mainly to prop up his own concentration.

You telling me that he's in a vacuum and by "propping up his own concentration" he doesn't disrupt his opponents? For Christ's sake, do you think I am an idiot? Just accept he's doing this for his own good and his shenanigans lead to his opponent's obvious disadvantage. It's called vasos comunicantes.

JolánGagó
06-02-2011, 08:44 AM
You telling me that he's in a vacuum and by "propping up his own concentration" he doesn't disrupt his opponents? For Christ's sake, do you think I am an idiot? Just accept he's doing this for his own good and his shenanigans lead to his opponent's obvious disadvantage. It's called vasos comunicantes.

Can you read English? I suggest learning it first before ever attempting Spanish, thank you. What peribsen says and what you interpret are worlds appart.