Sportivity (Murray vs Troicki) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Sportivity (Murray vs Troicki)

buzz
05-31-2011, 01:46 PM
I think it would have been good if Murray gave the point away when the ball boy entered the field. He was not going to win the point, so for me it seems not sportsmanlike to except it. I know its the rule but in this particular situation, it would be nice to give the point away IMO.

tennizen
05-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Murray is the ultimate sportsman. Instead of giving the point away, he gave the game away:worship:

chalkdust
05-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Totally disagree, not because I am a Murray fan. This is a professional sport, and you play each point to win, regardless of luck, injury to opponent, or anything else.

Dmitry Verdasco
05-31-2011, 01:55 PM
I don't know what this thread is about but WTF WAS THAT VIKTOR?! :rolls:

Roamed
05-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Didn't make much of a difference in the end as he still got broken, would have been more of an issue if he'd held. :)

buzz
05-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Totally disagree, not because I am a Murray fan. This is a professional sport, and you play each point to win, regardless of luck, injury to opponent, or anything else.

Im no murray or troicki fan or hater. Its just the way I play myself and other players I play against. When an other ball comes in court and the point is practically won.

Off course you win the point when your opponent is injured, or when you hit a netcourt dropshot, that is all in the game of tennis. For me this has nothing to do with tennis the point was for 99.9% finished.

Pirata.
05-31-2011, 02:20 PM
What the hell happened to the match thread?

helvet empire
05-31-2011, 02:20 PM
troicki was worse acting like a spoilt child towards the ballboy. Murray just was opportunistic, if not very fair play.
Anyway probably didn't affect the outcome of the match as Murray lost this game

scarecrows
05-31-2011, 02:22 PM
hahaha, moderators :worship:

NikolaBGD
05-31-2011, 02:22 PM
Troicki said that ballkid is the stupidest kid in the decade :D

delboy
05-31-2011, 02:23 PM
murray was never gonna conceed the point, hell he was waving for a let from a mile behind baseline

Sapeod
05-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Muzza lost the game :shrug: It didn't affect Viktor. Also, do you think Viktor would've gave the point away? I don't think so, so why with the whining?

chalkdust
05-31-2011, 02:24 PM
Its just the way I play myself and other players I play against. When an other ball comes in court and the point is practically won.
Yup, but that is the difference between a friendly game between friends and a professional match. Terrible situation for Troicki, of course, but you just have to move on, which is what seemed to happen anyway, as others have said, since Troicki won the game in question.

MaxPower
05-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Troicki said that ballkid is the stupidest kid in the decade :D

he actually said that? That kid won't get any serbian christmas cards this year. Maybe a few british ones though :)

Langers
05-31-2011, 02:25 PM
When did this ball-boy 'incident' happen??

Mario000
05-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Did not affect the game because murray lost it,but Murray's sportmasnhip was proven once again

ZaZoo)
05-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Mugza for Edberg's sportmanship award 2011! :worship:

GSMnadal
05-31-2011, 02:27 PM
As I've said in the disappeared match thread, I'm with Murray. It's a very important match, in a slam, in a tight fifth set, win this and the road to the SF is open. Not the time or place to hand out gifts. Bad luck for Viktor, right decision by Andy.

Garson007
What the hell happened to the match thread?
MTF, NID.

freeandlonely
The only one to blame here is the ball boy.

Ljubo_rulz
05-31-2011, 02:30 PM
The ballboy didn't affect the outcome of the point, I don't care what the rules say, Murray should've given the point back (e.g. DF). But we already knew he was a massive tit (remember the match vs Ljubo few years ago?).

And, by the way, soccer is also a professional sport where players always play to win.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/4150632/accidental_goal/

Ajax players let the opponent players equalize even though they didn't have to do shit.

NikolaBGD
05-31-2011, 02:31 PM
he actually said that? That kid won't get any serbian christmas cards this year. Maybe a few british ones though :)

It's true, he said that when he return on the baseline;)

scarecrows
05-31-2011, 02:36 PM
When did this ball-boy 'incident' happen??

2-2 in the final set, first point
Troicki broke in that game so all this talk about this situation affecting him is useless

buzz
05-31-2011, 02:37 PM
As I've said in the disappeared match thread, I'm with Murray. It's a very important match, in a slam, in a tight fifth set, win this and the road to the SF is open. Not the time or place to hand out gifts. Bad luck for Viktor, right decision by Andy.

Eh, its a slam so we don't behave sportsmanlike:confused:

GSMnadal
05-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Eh, its a slam so we don't behave sportsmanlike:confused:

Where do you draw the line? In case of a bad line call the points are also replayed, never seen anyone getting blamed for not 'giving the point away'. Both are the same, things that shouldn't have an influence on the game interfere.

Sometimes it's very clear who has the upper hand, but when should you gift the point? When your opponent is about to smash? When you are at least 3 feet outside the court? It's impossible.

Murray didn't do anything unsportsmanlike.

Clydey
05-31-2011, 02:45 PM
Not a single player in the draw would have just given the point away. We see it all the time with bad line calls. It's the same thing.

Sunset of Age
05-31-2011, 02:50 PM
I didn't see it happen, but have read up on the 'incident', and can't conclude otherwise than that this:

Where do you draw the line? In case of a bad line call the points are also replayed, never seen anyone getting blamed for not 'giving the point away'. Both are the same, things that shouldn't have an influence on the game interfere.

Sometimes it's very clear who has the upper hand, but when should you gift the point? When your opponent is about to smash? When you are at least 3 feet outside the court? It's impossible.

Murray didn't do anything unsportsmanlike.

is spot-on.
And didn't Troicki win that game anyways? So what's the deal?
Or is it just an excuse for some disgruntled hata's to vent their disappointment, as the hated player ended up being the winner of the match? :rolleyes:

Garson007
Not a single player in the draw would have just given the point away. We see it all the time with bad line calls. It's the same thing.
Clydey only ever comes on to MTF to defend his player. :hysteric: NID.

Ljubo_rulz

Only points that could go either way are replayed. When player A has no chance to run down the ball that is in the court, player B gets the point. It doesn't matter if the lineman called in or out.

buzz
05-31-2011, 02:54 PM
A bad line call is not entirely clear when you are on the other side, maybe you think the line call is wrong but to give it to the opponent when you are not 100% sure, I wouldn't do that. On the other hand I have seen tennis players give a point away after a wrong line call (even on hardcourts before the hawkeye system) Which is always seen as a good thing.

In this case, murray could just try to get the ball back and then tell the umpire he wasn't bothered by the ball boy.

Thats better for the ball boy too, he wouldn't get a trauma as easily in this way.

Sophocles
05-31-2011, 03:07 PM
The ballboy was about 10 & pusher Troicki nearly made him cry. What an incredible arsehole!

The fault was the umpire's. There was no need to replay the point as the ballboy's intervention had no effect on the point. It would have been different if Troicki had fluffed the smash.

Nadull_tard
05-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Troicki should have come to the boy and say that nothing happened and he shouldn't be worried.
Acted like a fucking asshole instead.

scarecrows
05-31-2011, 03:19 PM
There was no need to replay the point as the ballboy's intervention had no effect on the point. It would have been different if Troicki had fluffed the smash.

it hindered Murray so it had to be replayed even though he had 0.1% chance of winning the point

Sophocles
05-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Troicki should have come to the boy and say that nothing happened and he shouldn't be worried.
Acted like a fucking asshole instead.

Exactly. And yet MTF twats are complaining instead about Murray's shouting to himself.

Clydey
05-31-2011, 03:42 PM
Clydey only ever comes on to MTF to defend his player. :hysteric: NID.

You know me so well.

ballbasher101
05-31-2011, 03:46 PM
You can't blame Muzza for that. The umpire messed up. It did not affect the result as some have pointed out.

Certinfy
05-31-2011, 03:49 PM
Given that Troicki probably has one of the best overheads in the game at the moment (:help:) it's not like he would have fucked it up. Saying that it was sad for the ballboy :sad:

scarecrows
05-31-2011, 03:51 PM
You can't blame Muzza for that. The umpire messed up. It did not affect the result as some have pointed out.

what did the umpire do? :confused:

ballbasher101
05-31-2011, 03:53 PM
what did the umpire do? :confused:

He could have given the point to Troicki and not called a let.

MaxPower
05-31-2011, 03:57 PM
Wilander said the umpire was right by calling let. Essentially it's bad luck for Troicki and nothing to do.

I personally think they should just ignored it and acted like the kid wasn't even there. And if Murray complained then let him have a replay.

hipolymer
05-31-2011, 03:57 PM
I got a question about these kind of occurrences. If the umpire does the wrong thing (I don't even know if he DID do the right thing), can it affect them being chosen for the final? How does that work?

delboy
05-31-2011, 03:58 PM
Troicki was a dick if he said something and maybe should have gone up to him and said don't worry about it, but it's a big match of a slam and not as if he was 40-0 up in the game..I don't know what he said to the kid though, looked like he just walked away..

delboy
05-31-2011, 03:59 PM
I got a question about these kind of occurrences. If the umpire does the wrong thing (I don't even know if he DID do the right thing), can it affect them being chosen for the final? How does that work?

If they don't go by the book no matter what and are being assessed then yeah it can go against em

hipolymer
05-31-2011, 04:01 PM
It was actually 0-0 in the game with Murray serving.

And later on Troicki made fun of the kid by saying that he should have gone on the court when he was losing the point or something like that.

Oh well, karma's a bitch.

scarecrows
05-31-2011, 04:04 PM
He could have given the point to Troicki and not called a let.

and not follow the rules?

MayerFan
05-31-2011, 04:10 PM
I think it would have been good if Murray gave the point away when the ball boy entered the field. He was not going to win the point, so for me it seems not sportsmanlike to except it. I know its the rule but in this particular situation, it would be nice to give the point away IMO.

http://www.ps3blog.de/wp-content/uploads/Not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-stupid.jpg

delboy
05-31-2011, 04:11 PM
yeah the umpire could no way could give the point to Troicki, only if Murray conceeded the point which he clearly didn't..I don't think they can use discretion on a point like that even if it was a guaranteed winner for Viktor..

Paul Banks
05-31-2011, 04:18 PM
This is hardly the first time something like this happened when one of the 2 player is in control of the point. Most of the time it's the wind pushing something on the court...

In every instance, they just play the point again regardless of how much in control the player is. I mean, it's clearly the RULE that the point needs to be stopped, why the hell would a player interfere with the RULE? It would be no different than giving away a point for absolutely no reason.

Murray was lucky, that's all.

Paul Banks
05-31-2011, 04:21 PM
And by the way, "sportivity" - whatever is meant by that (?) - is when you realize a bad decision was made and you correct it.

In this case, there was nothing to correct. The rule is clear the point needs to be played again.