2010 Wimbledon - 2011 French Open similarities [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2010 Wimbledon - 2011 French Open similarities

swanpm20
05-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Remember how everyone was counting Nadal out during the first week of 2010 Wimbledon? He needed 5 sets in both his R64 and R32 matches against Haase and Petzschner and everyone was talking about how bad he looked, how worn down he was physically, and how he had no chance of winning the tournament let alone ending the year at #1.

As it turned out, he met up with Robin Soderling in the QF, someone who had beaten him before in big matches and who had established a reputation of being a giant killer. He beat him, and carried that momentum to play his absolute best in the SF and F to win his second Wimbledon.

The same thing will happen here. He's going to be extremely motivated seeing Soderling, who he hates and absolutely does not want to lose to, on the other side of the net and find his best tennis. From there, he's going to have his 6th French Open, end Djokovic's streak, and dominate the rest of the year.

Have a nice day Rafa haters, you're about to be depressed again in 6 days.

:)

solowyn
05-30-2011, 08:42 PM
I really don't feel it's the same thing. Nadal was much more convincing at Wimbledon, in his body language alone.

Certinfy
05-30-2011, 08:46 PM
No. Nadal played good matches in R2 and R3 at Wimbledon, the fact is he only really struggled due to Petzschner's and Haase's huge serving. Here he's actually played pretty bad matches thus far.

hipolymer
05-30-2011, 08:48 PM
The difference is that Soderling is not as good in Wimbledon as he is in RG.

alter ego
05-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Surprise, surprise a nadulltard being a nadulltard.

Last year's Wimbledon was the worst slam ever. Murray hadn't been to a QF in a tournament since the AO, Djokovic was playing without a serve, he chocke in RG to Melzer after having 2 sets to love, Roger was mugging it up against Falla and some serbian journeyman, Roddick lost to Lu.

At RG this year we have Djokovic who has defeated Nadull 4 times in a row, Federer who seems to enjoy the fast balls and Murray who has had the best clay results ever.

Orka_n
05-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks man, quality jinx thread. :worship:

luie
05-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Remember how everyone was counting Nadal out during the first week of 2010 Wimbledon? He needed 5 sets in both his R64 and R32 matches against Haase and Petzschner and everyone was talking about how bad he looked, how worn down he was physically, and how he had no chance of winning the tournament let alone ending the year at #1.

As it turned out, he met up with Robin Soderling in the QF, someone who had beaten him before in big matches and who had established a reputation of being a giant killer. He beat him, and carried that momentum to play his absolute best in the SF and F to win his second Wimbledon.

The same thing will happen here. He's going to be extremely motivated seeing Soderling, who he hates and absolutely does not want to lose to, on the other side of the net and find his best tennis. From there, he's going to have his 6th French Open, end Djokovic's streak, and dominate the rest of the year.

Have a nice day Rafa haters, you're about to be depressed again in 6 days.

:)
At Wimby 2010,,he had just finished his cake walk draw @ RG,& was confident for wimby.
However this time around Novak stole his manhood & he is scared right now.:sad:

emotion
05-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Soderling got injured that match, remember? After winning the 1st set

Norrage
05-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Rafa didn't play bad at all in the first rounds. He got outserved by two guys playing out of their skins. Besides, during the first week the courts are 100% quicker than the second week, when grass becomes clay. I see no comparison. If there is a comparison between both then it is Fed his Wimbledon 2010 vs. Rafa Roland Garros 2011. Very unconvincing first round, almost being beaten. Then they keep on struggling but for some reason still win pretty comfortably (in scorelines) before being straightforwardly beaten in the Quarter Final. Which I expect will happen to Nadal like it happened to Fed at Wimby last year against Berdych.

Roamed
05-30-2011, 10:12 PM
To be honest that crossed my mind, but like the poster above said, Soderling is playing much better; in Wimbledon he struggled through a 5 setter against Ferrer before playing Rafa. There's no denying a win on Wednesday would be a massive confidence booster for Rafa though

rafa_maniac
05-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Rafa didn't play bad at all in the first rounds. He got outserved by two guys playing out of their skins. Besides, during the first week the courts are 100% quicker than the second week, when grass becomes clay. I see no comparison. If there is a comparison between both then it is Fed his Wimbledon 2010 vs. Rafa Roland Garros 2011. Very unconvincing first round, almost being beaten. Then they keep on struggling but for some reason still win pretty comfortably (in scorelines) before being straightforwardly beaten in the Quarter Final. Which I expect will happen to Nadal like it happened to Fed at Wimby last year against Berdych.

^ this. I said at the time that people were underestimating Nadal's form at Wimby last year because on grass you slip up even the tiniest bit to a big server and BOOM there's the set gone. And that's exactly what happened. But he never looked close to losing either match and he played as well as could be expected against those opponents on fast grass. He was also full of confidence from winning every important title for months.

This is not at all the same. This is Clay, his home turf, and he's stinking up the joint with his play and admitting in interviews he's feeling pressured and isn't confident. It would be stupid to write him off at RG of all places, but he has no chance against Soderling unless he does something drastic.

rocketassist
05-30-2011, 10:20 PM
Wimbledon grass is quicker at the start of the two weeks when it's at its greenest, hence why the likes of Kendrick, Gulbis, Haase and Petzschner caused him problems and Muller actually beat him.

tyruk14
05-30-2011, 10:21 PM
:facepalm:

NJ88
05-30-2011, 10:24 PM
Nadal will get to the final, but honestly I don't think he's playing well enough to beat an in form Djokovic OR an in form Federer in the final. Maybe he'll pick his form up and play an incredible final like last yeat though, it could happen.

Chase Visa
05-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Except Soderling's much more of a giant killer at RG.....the king is dead, long live the king!

romismak
05-30-2011, 11:32 PM

If he will fall to Soderling this is identical:D

Sophocles
05-31-2011, 12:13 AM
Nadaltards clutching at straws again.

swanpm20
05-31-2011, 02:08 AM
We'll see guys. I figured this prediction would garner these types of responses, but we'll see who's right come Sunday.

Orka_n
05-31-2011, 02:10 AM
We'll see guys. I figured this prediction would garner these types of responses, but we'll see who's right come Sunday.Or wednesday. Or friday.

MaxPower
05-31-2011, 10:11 AM
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH NADAL. ALL IS LIKE LAST YEAR. EVERYTHING IS NORMAL

http://www.hammarbysjostad.info/storage/bagdadbob.gif?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=123435715 1188

Sophocles
05-31-2011, 10:34 AM
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH NADAL. ALL IS LIKE LAST YEAR. EVERYTHING IS NORMAL

http://www.hammarbysjostad.info/storage/bagdadbob.gif?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=123435715 1188

:haha:

Mjau!
06-01-2011, 02:39 AM
Nadal always struggles early at Wimbledon, he never struggles early at Roland Garros. :wavey:

swanpm20
06-01-2011, 05:48 AM
Nadal always struggles early at Wimbledon, he never struggles early at Roland Garros. :wavey:

06 against Mathieu?

careergrandslam
06-01-2011, 07:21 AM
nadal played well at wimby 2010, opponents played very well.

here nadal is playing at a disgusting low level.

so far rafas level has been utter filth.

Topspindoctor
06-01-2011, 07:29 AM
I thought Nadal has improved in his Ljubicic match after first set. If he can build on that, he should make final.

abraxas21
06-01-2011, 07:36 AM
nadal should make the final at least.

if he meets federer, i give him a 90% chance of winning (after all, federer is nadal's bitch, esp. in RG)
if he meets djokovic, i give him a 60% chance. (djokovic has never beaten nadull in a truly important match and it would be a deja vu kind of thing if he loses his streak in the RG final -remember what happened to mccenroe's streak there).

abraxas21
06-01-2011, 06:05 PM
well, nadull beat mugerling today.. i think murray will be a tougher test but he should come thru

straitup
06-01-2011, 06:06 PM
06 against Mathieu?

That was 3R and he was definitely playing better in that match...Mathieu was just a tough matchup for him when PHM was near his peak

But yes it looks like Rafa might be finding some confidence in the later rounds

swanpm20
06-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Anyone want to defer yet? I'll accept any apologies now....

abraxas21
06-03-2011, 03:43 PM
i predicted nadull would win RG from the get go

still, it doesnt change anything. nadal is still a moonballer no matter what

BlueSwan
06-03-2011, 03:55 PM
i predicted nadull would win RG from the get go

still, it doesnt change anything. nadal is still a moonballer no matter what
Nadal is not a moonballer. THIS is moonballing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5TDGbbLXUQ&feature=related

swanpm20
06-04-2011, 04:31 AM
Now are you guys ready to apologize? Or will you just wait until after the final?

solowyn
06-04-2011, 07:37 AM
:lol: Twit.

tests
06-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Nadal is not a moonballer. THIS is moonballing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5TDGbbLXUQ&feature=related

HOLY FKING SHIT. LOLLL

swanpm20
06-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Funny read. Look through the thread! Told you guys though, this tourney was more proof that you can't win a slam in week one, but you can lose it.

Mjau!
06-05-2011, 10:10 PM
WHat are you gloating about? :rolleyes: You're just lucky Rogi proved the doubters wrong and took out Nole. This is similar to Rogi's 2009 victory.

Manequin75
06-05-2011, 10:20 PM

Jesus. Im not kidding but I think I have a good shot beating Villas and Wilander. This doesnt even seem like pro sport. This is how i play with my neighbors little kids. No wonder these guys are all shoocked iwth todays tennis. Edberg last night after winning a champions series commented that the sport is scary different now - techology, power, fitness. And edberg is still relatively modern - he retired what mid 90s?

The older guys cant even recognize todays sport and we talk about comparing laver who is a dinausaur with federer? Senseless....

abraxas21
06-05-2011, 11:40 PM
expected