Are Nadal and Federer too "heavy"? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Are Nadal and Federer too "heavy"?

Jaz
05-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Lets consider the builds of these players: Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Murray, Del Potro.

They both seem to be getting a little bit slower, the question is, are they too heavy? Looking at the ATP website

Djokovic: 6'2" 80kg
Nadal: 6'1" 85kg
Federer 6'1" 85kg
Murray 6'3" 83kg
Del Potro 6'6" 84kg

In summary, despite being shorter, they weigh the most.

With the new generation, Murray, Djokovic, DelPo more attuned to "sports scientists", and other players like Roddick losing weight, is it time for Nadal and Federer to shed some weight, to gain better movement on court?

(Yes I'm aware that people will say muscle is more important, but the counter point is that Djokovic and DelPo are some of the biggest hitters on court today, weigh less, and are taller).

Luinir
05-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Djokovic is too light?

sexybeast
05-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Federer has a healthy belly for a normal person, not so much for an athlete. Nadal needs his magic muscle power to play his tennis.

So, Federer could certanly lose some kilos, but he is probably too fond of Mirka's cooking and also most lazy of all top player ever since Safin retired.

Nadull_tard
05-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Nadal's weight hasn't changed since 2005 and he was already strappy back then. He definitely put up some kilograms on weight, I assume Nadal weights something about 90-92 kg at present.

Or Levy
05-29-2011, 09:20 PM
I think these numbers are inaccurate at best, or just un-updated. There's no freaking way Delpo is only 4 kg heavier than Djoko, in spite being 4 inches taller. Roger is taller than Rafa (not sure if Roger is listed as an inch too short or RAfa as an inch too tall, but there is a definite height difference there.

Or Levy
05-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Federer has a healthy belly for a normal person, not so much for an athlete. Nadal needs his magic muscle power to play his tennis.

So, Federer could certanly lose some kilos, but he is probably too fond of Mirka's cooking and also most lazy of all top player ever since Safin retired.

Roger has zero belly, he just doesn't have defined abs.

Jaz
05-29-2011, 09:23 PM
I think these numbers are inaccurate at best, or just un-updated. There's no freaking way Delpo is only 4 kg heavier than Djoko, in spite being 4 inches taller. Roger is taller than Rafa (not sure if Roger is listed as an inch too short or RAfa as an inch too tall, but there is a definite height difference there.

Actually BBC commentators were saying something similar about DelPo being very very light, and why he is so successful for his height. For Example the ATP website has Isner at 6'9" at 111kg :eek:

RIboy
05-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Chela 6'3" 75 kg http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/ashamed/ashamed4.gif

Nathaliia
05-29-2011, 09:38 PM
Asking Rafa to lose his famous ass to achieve a smaller weight would be a blasphemy like to ask me to lose my boobs ;)

batavlada
05-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Asking Rafa to lose his famous ass to achieve a smaller weight would be a blasphemy like to ask me to lose my boobs ;)

Well, boobs are bad add on on tennis player.

MaxPower
05-29-2011, 09:58 PM
rafas famous ass is surely not helping him winning matches. Only gets his underwear stuck between those buttcheeks all the time delaying the game. Federer somehow seems taller than Rafa or it could be an optical illusion but yeah he could lose a little.

In the end weight doesn't say much. If it's muscle then the added power and pace in your shots help you to win. Soderling is 6'4 and 87kg-88kg somewhere and hits way harder than the top4 and even harder than Delpo. He is close to Isner numbers with his serve. So really a guy like Del Potro should add a little muscle if those numbers are correct. Maybe 2-3 extra kg could help him fulfill his true power potential. Especially with the serve

Jaz
05-29-2011, 10:18 PM
Why would Delpo need to add a few founds, i think his serve is pretty quick and his movement good too?

The point is that both Federer and Nadal have no benefit of the extra kgs they have despite being shorter.

Henry Chinaski
05-29-2011, 10:25 PM
the listed figures are meaningless.

i don't think fed could lose any more weight.

nadal has definitely shed a few kg over the years so I doubt he could afford to lose any more

MaxPower
05-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Well I was just saying if you are as tall as Del Potro it's definitely not a disadvantage to weigh around 88-90kg. The taller you are the more of your weight is locked into bones/organs etc too so they can never be as light as 6'1, 6'2 players anyway. In fact it could likely lead to injury if you for example "cheat" with certain muscle groups like the legs/back. Del Potro can never compete with quick footwork of a 6'1 guy. He needs to take full advantage of his height strength and power that Nadal/Fed can never get. You have to use your body type to full advantage and not try to be something you can't be.

DrJules
05-29-2011, 10:45 PM
It comes from choosing the Nalbandian diet over the gluten free diet.

Orka_n
05-29-2011, 11:08 PM
IoIDdimuZLc

LawrenceOfTennis
05-30-2011, 12:01 AM
heavy? you mean weights more than they supposed to be? I don't think so. Both guys looking slim.

SerialKillerToBe
05-30-2011, 12:05 AM
Nadal looks a little more chunky than usual. Federer sporting the tiny gut. I would say they need to skinny up like Nole.

Sunset of Age
05-30-2011, 12:32 AM

:lol: the only appropriate answer to a thread like this. :yeah:

Haelfix
05-30-2011, 12:40 AM
Rafa could stand to lose maybe a few pounds. He's actually a tiny bit smaller and more slender than Federer (I know appearances are deceptive) and so yea he could lose a few pounds although it would be mostly muscle.. The key is in making sure its muscle in a place that is innessential.

Roger meanwhile is quite broad and tall. I think most of his mass is probably in his bones, and maybe his legs. He could eat a tiny bit cleaner and maybe shed a pound of fat, but there really isn't much to lose that wouldn't also cut into his performance.

Either way both guys would sacrifice something, so there is no win-win here.

tennismaster1978
05-30-2011, 01:59 AM
this is a stupid thread. we are all dumber now from reading this. nadals the 2nd best mover on tour... fed has always been in the right place at the right time on court.... think before you post

moon language
05-30-2011, 02:40 AM
Certainly not too heavy. Djokovic's movement is simply superlative.

nobama
05-30-2011, 02:41 AM
Rafa could stand to lose maybe a few pounds. He's actually a tiny bit smaller and more slender than Federer (I know appearances are deceptive) and so yea he could lose a few pounds although it would be mostly muscle.. The key is in making sure its muscle in a place that is innessential.

Roger meanwhile is quite broad and tall. I think most of his mass is probably in his bones, and maybe his legs. He could eat a tiny bit cleaner and maybe shed a pound of fat, but there really isn't much to lose that wouldn't also cut into his performance.

Either way both guys would sacrifice something, so there is no win-win here.just curious how you know what Fed eats? :confused:

luv_Nadals_balls
05-30-2011, 02:53 AM

Perfectly stated. Could not have said it better myself. Rafa's big ole' stinkin' ass is the best sight in tennis! Ratings would surely drop he lost that.

freeandlonely
05-30-2011, 04:09 AM
Who, all aspects concerned, is actually physically better than Federer in Open Era?
Anyone?

Hensafmurrafter
05-30-2011, 04:16 AM
Safin was physically better. In the bedroom.

r2473
05-30-2011, 05:06 AM
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

Nekromanta
05-30-2011, 05:39 AM
Djokovic is a pup. He's too light.

Amber Spyglass
05-30-2011, 05:50 AM
That isn't Djokovic's updated weight. From his Vogue interview:

He lost some weight on this diet, he says. “I am very skinny.” You have a tiny waist, I say. He giggles: “A very tiny waist.” He is very skinny: weighing, halfway through the Sony Ericsson Open, 176 pounds at six feet two. That’s around ten pounds lighter than the other three. (Andy Murray is 185 pounds and six feet three, Rafa 188 and six feet one, and Federer 187 and also six feet one.) It shows in his play—lightfooted, quicksilver, deadly: “I am fast and very powerful on the court, so this is what matters.”

http://www.vogue.com/vogue-daily/article/hot-shot-novak-djokovic/

BodyServe
05-30-2011, 06:08 AM
:lol: :lol: there is no way federer is 85 kg