Most powerful servers/hitters in RG [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Most powerful servers/hitters in RG

MaxPower
05-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Everyone know John Isner is a freaking tower at 2.06 metres (6 ft. 9 in.) and 111.4 kilos (245 lbs.)

In his first round when he pushed Nadal to 5 sets his stats where
Average 1st Serve Speed 207 KMH with a fastest serve of 232 KMH

Looking at the top5 there is one standout with Soderling that so far averages with his FS

202 KMH vs Harrison
193 KMH vs Ramos
203 KMH vs Mayer
with multiple bombs in the 220-230 range

He often averages more than Nadals very fastest serve. Djokovic also struggles to serve faster than Soderlings average. The only one who is close is Del Potro but he isn't in the top5 yet. Murray should have a faster serve but isn't close either and Federer usually can't serve faster than 200-210 but is very clever with his serve.

Anyway Soderling is right up there with Isner/Roddick cannons but also got the power in his ground game to back it up. Is this a sign for a future where you CAN have an absolutely bomb of a serve but still have the baseline game to back it up?

Do players like Nadal/Djokovic have any hope of improving their power to a Soderling range? Or are guys like Soderling and Roddick freaks of nature that can serve like that without being Isner/Karlovic towers?

Satasonic
05-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Its only a matter of time until a guy with the body of Lebron James/Shaquille O'neal start playing tennis. Isner and Karlovic are towers, guys like Oneal and James are just mountains of muscle and pure strength.

And no, you dont have to be tall to serve. Your serve speeds will suffer, but as long as we should be concerned, Tall=More aces, not higher first % or higher winning percentage off the first serve.

romismak
05-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Yes it is possible everything in future. Tall guys with great movements - i think there will be more people like Delpo even faster serving 220-230km nonstop, without injuries, it is evolution of sport of tennis. Actually right now Tsonga is similar to Soderling in term ov serve - he can also have average 1st serve more than 200km, but he is often using slice so his average speed is not so high due to his different 1st serves - on other hand Soderling is almost all the time hitting flat bombs at 1st serve so his average speed for 1st serve is really high - speed of Ivo or John.

philosophicalarf
05-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Check last year's match Sod had with Fed here - 209kph avg first serve. That was a response to the conditions, ramping it up to hit through slower/heavier air, but still scary as hell.

Tell you what's really scary: Isner's second serve numbers. First match Aus he had 182, more than most have on their first balls.

MaxPower
05-29-2011, 01:43 PM
yeah some good replies here. True that the 2nd serve speed should be factored in and that is probably where Isner, Karlovic and the giants have the true advantage. Not in the power

I think especially here in RG I haven't seen many aces but it seems very hard to return serves that are 220-230 somewhere. Just getting them into court is a challenge but so easy to also get short with them and then it is a simple put away for a good player. Maybe it is the new ball also. Ljubicic doesn't serve as hard as Soderling but you notice ppl have a hard time with his style of serve.

asmazif
05-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Fog, obvs.

philosophicalarf
05-29-2011, 01:49 PM
I think especially here in RG I haven't seen many aces but it seems very hard to return serves that are 220-230 somewhere.

The ace count is actually down on last year, but the first serve points won% is the same (well, down a little, but within margin of error).

My interpretation is faster airspeed, and little bit slower surface (ie more rackets on the ball, but not back into court, or not usefully so).

Serve speeds are slightly limited as a stat though, because they're measured too soon after contact. It would be more useful if they were measured just after the net - they'd be higher than last year at that point.

Topspindoctor
05-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Yes it is possible everything in future. Tall guys with great movements - i think there will be more people like Delpo even faster serving 220-230km nonstop, without injuries, it is evolution of sport of tennis. Actually right now Tsonga is similar to Soderling in term ov serve - he can also have average 1st serve more than 200km, but he is often using slice so his average speed is not so high due to his different 1st serves - on other hand Soderling is almost all the time hitting flat bombs at 1st serve so his average speed for 1st serve is really high - speed of Ivo or John.

Yeah, except it's not possible to be super tall with good movement and injury free. If anything, players like Djokovic will dominate the game. Footwork, excellent RoS, excellent defense, consistency >>>>> all serve overgrown mugs.

finishingmove
05-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Fog, obvs.

monster serving from fog

montanes had no answer

MaxPower
05-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Why do I feel like every thread will be hijacked by the Fog today. Wish he wasn't so interesting but what can you do :)