Who's more suitable for spot within Top 4? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who's more suitable for spot within Top 4?

Ukyo
05-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Knowing Del Potro was injured for the most part of previous season, he would stand a chance at occupying at least #4 spot.

Murray being the favorite for a lot of people for bare top of ATP rankings, currently holds #4, with certain tendency of even improving further up the rankings.

Who deserves it more, game/talent wise. The significance of the spot is pretty obvious, inability to meet first three seeds before semis, thus why "Top 4" and not per say "Top 5".

Satasonic
05-29-2011, 10:58 AM
At the moment, Murray deserves the spot more imo. Simply because Del Potro didnt yet spend enough time on recovering from his recent injury and therefore he simply cant occupy the top spot.

Talent wise- Definitely Delpo. Remember- 16>9>2>1>0. Case closed.

ThinLine
05-29-2011, 11:09 AM
For me it's pretty pointless to think about who deserves it more based on such abstract categories like "game" or "talent". The one with better results deserves it more. It's really unfortunate that an injury prevented Del Potro from achieving what he is certainly capable of, but it is what it is. I just hope he can play his best soon and it'll show in the ranking. Then he'll deserve it.

romismak
05-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Hard to say, i would say Del Potro, but now i will talk about points in raking next season when everyone from top players should be healthy, to the end of 2012 if all will be healthy, top 5 will be i think definetely Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Murray, Del Potro - in any order - hard to predict. But from duo Murray-Delpo is hard to say who can get more points, because on HC Murray and Delpo are best, hard to say who will get more points, than on clay i thougth Delpo is far better, but Murray improoved, but still more points on clay should have Delpo and on grass Murray is better. So really difficult to say and about potential it is close too- Del Potro is big with huge groundstrokes and look very talented, but Murray is too very talented so potential have both.

Jomp1
05-29-2011, 11:11 AM
The one who is #4 at the year end deserves it..

Ukyo
05-29-2011, 11:18 AM
For me it's pretty pointless to think about who deserves it more based on such abstract categories like "game" or "talent". The one with better results deserves it more. It's really unfortunate that an injury prevented Del Potro from achieving what he is certainly capable of, but it is what it is. I just hope he can play his best soon and it'll show in the ranking. Then he'll deserve it.

The one who is #4 at the year end deserves it..
Read the first paragraph the "Obvious Squad"

Hypothetically, if Del Potro played instead of being injured, would he do better than Murray. Thought it's pretty common sense question, but seems some people were neglected at juni school so they have to come to MTF to act smart.

oranges
05-29-2011, 11:28 AM
But he didn't play AND he's done worse than Murray so far this season so I'm not sure why you're so surprised people find the question pointless

ThinLine
05-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Hypothetically, if Del Potro played instead of being injured, would he do better than Murray. Thought it's pretty common sense question, but seems some people were neglected at juni school so they have to come to MTF to act smart.

Hey don't worry, no neglection in juni school...I just don't like to think in terms "what would be if...". But okay, I'll try for the sake of your thread. I can't say what would have happened if Del Potro wasn't injured, but I think both Murray and Del Potro have the game to be in top 4. Judging from the slam finals where Murray folded three times and Del Potro took his one chance in a glorious way, beating Nadal and Federer back to back, I'd say Del Potro showed a true champion mentality which is something that would be crucial in big matches he didn't have the chance to play after that. But still, I can't help but feel that if Murray overcomes his slam burden and win one, he will explode. His game has so much variety and I'm waiting for all the pieces of the puzzle to finally find their place. Hehe, I managed to not answer your question once again :angel:

LawrenceOfTennis
05-29-2011, 12:16 PM
As a Delpo fan, I immediatly say his name. You can say Murray achieved more, but the truth is that Murray also played much more than him. While Andy is not a real threat to the triumvirate, Del Potro would have beaten them several times in 2010 without that injury. So, I think time will show whose more suitable, and that will be Delpo (if healthy).

ossie
05-29-2011, 12:32 PM
murray deserves it more since delpo deserves number 1 + goat

blank_frackis
05-29-2011, 12:58 PM
It's difficult. I mean you could point to Del Potro winning the US Open, but even in 2009 when Del Potro actually won a slam he still finished behind Murray in the rankings at the end of the year. He only went up to number 4 for a brief period at the start of 2010.

On the other side you could look at Murray's great record against Del Potro, but that doesn't necessarily translate into him doing better against other players and having a higher ranking. In the past you could say Murray's weakness on clay was much more of a problem to his ranking than Del Potro's weakness on grass, but now Murray's clay court game is arguably a lot better than Del Potro's grass court game, so who knows.

philosophicalarf
05-29-2011, 01:11 PM
DelPot clearly can get up there. Notable he's still not won a masters though, which rack up the points.

Murray going awol for chunks of the season limits him, but then he's good on grass, DelPot isn't. Additional clay points for Murray now too that he hasn't had in the past.

rubbERR
05-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Murray atm only because draws he is getting.

finishingmove
05-29-2011, 01:29 PM
troicki

Nixer
05-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Fognini of course :worship:

vn01
05-29-2011, 02:21 PM
murray

Topspindoctor
05-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Mugray doesn't deserve to be in the top 10.

Sham Kay
05-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Both deserve it and will be there together. Nadal will be making room soon enough.

helvet empire
05-29-2011, 04:03 PM
both deserve to be top 4. Nadal needs to get out of it however

steveo2810
05-29-2011, 04:10 PM
At the moment, Murray deserves the spot more imo. Simply because Del Potro didnt yet spend enough time on recovering from his recent injury and therefore he simply cant occupy the top spot.

Talent wise- Definitely Delpo. Remember- 16>9>2>1>0. Case closed.

Murray leads H2H 5-1.

Pony can hit the ball harder than Muzza, but more talented? I wouldn't say so.

Roadmap
05-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Mugray doesn't deserve to be in the top 10.

NADULL shouldn't even be allowed to play TENNIS. We both know why.

Alex999
05-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Murray deserves to be where he is (#4), like it or not. DP has a huge potential to overtake that position and even go higher if he can be 100% healthy.