RG R3: Djokovic overcomes Delpo 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

RG R3: Djokovic overcomes Delpo 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-2

Orka_n
05-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Too consistent in the end, this Djoker. :hatoff:

JanKowalski
05-28-2011, 03:18 PM
No thread? :eek:

Wasting 2 BPs at 2:2 15:40 in the 3rd set was the key moment of this match.

siffleanimaux
05-28-2011, 03:19 PM
No thread?

Excellent match from both, although Del Potro's form dipped a little in the final set. I thought he was going to put up a better fight but the UEs started coming. Well, for both of them anyway.

Also the umpire warning Del Potro for time violation was :o

Anyway, 42 consecutive wins and 40 for the season.

henke007
Nid

FlameOn
Good contest. Lots of rallies with brutal hard hitting. :hearts: Amazing dropshot on match point. :woohoo:

Win them all! :rocker2:

SheepleBuster
Who's the saddest man on the planet right now? Rafael nadal or Uncle Tony?

Certinfy
As a Del Potro fan that was quite sad to see but I did expect it but definitely not after they came back on court today, would have thought it would come perhaps after a set and a half of play today or so. On the bright side at least in the second set he showed us what he’s capable of against the big guys when playing well and we can only hope his body holds up and he’s able to play like that week in and week out in some time. Only sad thing is like you said he got to hard on himself after not converting either of those 2 break points and well that was it.

As for Djokovic, well he didn’t have to do much besides be solid and he did that well so congrats to him, definitely can’t see anyone beating him before the final as well, take the title Novak!

Langers
Too good this guy. :worship:

Raiden
I was also wondering where's the thread?

But couldn't be bothered to make one myself :lol:

Johnny Groove
Damn, Delpo.

Noleta
Nice to see JMDP back:hug:

Nole,too good!:yeah:

tyruk14
05-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Too much depth, variety of spin and graceful power from the Djoker

ZaZoo)
:worship:

Delpo :hug:

DrJules
No thread?

Excellent match from both, although Del Potro's form dipped a little in the 2nd last and final set.

Also the umpire warning Del Potro for time violation was :o

Seemed very harsh considering how long the top 2 players take to serve.

Johnny Groove

You.

MIMIC

Haha, I was just about to make one (refresh, should I make one? refresh, should I make one? refresh....oh, there it is).

Djoker up a break is a very dangerous thing. His game completely opened up once he had some margin to work with. del Potro himself is a very dangerous player but Djokovic handled the match superbly.

Also, the time violation against del Potro was a little much.

Noleta
05-28-2011, 03:21 PM

I'd say neither.:p

straitup
05-28-2011, 03:21 PM
I figured Nole would rebound from that second set loss very strongly, and he did. Delpo showed good tennis for some of it though, a couple months on the hard courts will make him very difficult to beat again

ssin
05-28-2011, 03:22 PM
At moments a very competitive match of high quality, but, honestly, Delpo was lucky to snatch a set from Novak. He will surely get into top 5 soon, expect him to do some real damage come the hardcourt season.

SheepleBuster
05-28-2011, 03:22 PM
You.

I doubt it. haha. I picked Nole to win this whole thing. But was a big fan of Del Po too. it does not matter in the end. The title is already in the bag for Nole :devil:

Jaz
05-28-2011, 03:23 PM
MonoPony.

Was horrific today, serve and forehand were AWOL.

FerrerAndNadal
Delpo didn't bring the same shots as yesterdays match. Djokovic was too good on retreiving the big shots. Too good on defense. Too many UE from Delpo. good to see him back at 85% at least.

zlaja777
Novak in control today. Hard hitting from both, great match.

Delpo in top 10 very soon.

finishingmove
djokovic is better after delays

del potro played pretty well yesterday

overall, NID

siffleanimaux
Haha, I was just about to make one (refresh, should I make one? refresh, should I make one? refresh....oh, there it is).

lol this. AND THEN I make it but two people make it at the same time. :o

MaxPower

Both are crying. Federer also got a little sad. All his hope of regaining world nr1 is also getting slimmer even if he himself knocks Djokovic out the SF gives a lot of points. And yeah he'd rather play Del Potro if he goes through his own QF

shadows
For a moment at the start of the third it looked like DelPo might be about to do the almost unthinkable...Then Djokovic saved the bp's in style and never looked in trouble again. Good effort from Pony, he wasn't quite able to reach the heights of last night but he can take some positives away from this. For Djokovic it was pretty much business as usual.

Voo de Mar
05-28-2011, 03:24 PM
D'Joke drew conclusions after yesterday's two sets. He was consequently playing on DelPo's backhand today and it was the key in my opinion. He had to adapt something new today because until this match, he could play in any direction, no-one displays such a powerful forehand like Del Potro.

Nevertheless, Del Potro was serving too conservative, '3-6 2-6' it's a poor scoreline :o

ballbasher101
Too solid in the end the Djoker. The Pony has improved his movement a lot and is hitting the ball well. Good to have him back.

Johnny Groove
I doubt it. haha. I picked Nole to win this whole thing. But was a big fan of Del Po too. it does not matter in the end. The title is already in the bag for Nole :devil:

Good thing they don't hand out the trophy after 3 rounds.

hicdick
lovely backhand drop shot to end the match.

had delpo taken one of those bp's in the third, this match could have been different. but all credits to djokovic: despite missing some shots he would normally make, he was just too solid for del potro. djokovic did great job returnig potro's serves, always kept the pressure on. a well deserved victory.

Raiden
Delpo didn't bring the same shots as yesterdays match.Exactly.

He looked barely awake at times (missing easy open court putaways)

solowyn
Ridiculous hitting. So much depth on the shots from both in that 3rd set.

Delpo not as clutch on serve in set 4, as he was in set 2 last night.

Nole fan
05-28-2011, 03:25 PM

Djoker up a break is a very dangerous thing. His game completely opened up once he had some margin to work with. del Potro himself is a very dangerous player but Djokovic handled the match superbly.

Also, the time violation against del Potro was a little much.

100% agree.
Nole. :bowdown:

Ad Wim
05-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Only saw today, and that was very disappointing. Although Djokovic was pretty good in the first 5 games of the final set.

MIMIC
Oh yeah...Djoker just surpassed Fed's 41-match winning streak with his victory over del Potro today :rocker2:

NadalesDios
Only Nadal can stop this madness

SheepleBuster
Both are crying. Federer also got a little sad. All his hope of regaining world nr1 is also getting slimmer even if he himself knocks Djokovic out the SF gives a lot of points. And yeah he'd rather play Del Potro if he goes through his own QF

Well. Nadal has had a cake draw and he still managed to mess up a couple of times. And now that Murray is on one leg, Rafa may as well just show up in the final, not that Murray could beat him. But hey.

Lopez
Figured that Djokovic would be too solid for Del Potro this early in JMDP's comeback, especially on clay where he's able to get a lot of balls back.

Brutal hitting though, the ball must be aching after the match.

If JMDP gets more consistency in his shots again and remains uninjured, he'll be a top contender again and IMO a serious threat to the world number one spot next year.

JanKowalski
For a moment at the start of the third it looked like DelPo might be about to do the almost unthinkable...Then Djokovic saved the bp's in style and never looked in trouble again. Good effort from Pony, he wasn't quite able to reach the heights of last night but he can take some positives away from this. For Djokovic it was pretty much business as usual.

I wouldn't call that style, they both ended with a mishit from Delpo. Djokovic did just enough in those rallies.

tektonac
delpo welcome back, hope to enjoy your exciting tennis this season.

nole i expect you to spank the frenchman tomorrow for this unbiased scheduling mess.

Ticker
That hug at the end was nice.

ssin
05-28-2011, 03:27 PM

under these circumstances only Novak fans are loving this win. So there are quite a few sad & scared people now.

DrJules
05-28-2011, 03:27 PM

Love the modesty.

The prospects look bleak to see him put in his place, but there are 4 rounds left.

Okram04
05-28-2011, 03:28 PM
D'Joke drew conclusions after yesterday's two sets. He was consequently playing on DelPo's backhand today and it was the key in my opinion. He had to adapt something new today because until this match, he could play in any direction, no-one displays such a powerful forehand like Del Potro.

Nevertheless, Del Potro was serving too conservative, '3-6 2-6' it's a poor scoreline :o

I was about to say the same thing. He is better player right now and he lost a set because of bad tactics

shadows
05-28-2011, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't call that style, they both ended with a mishit from Delpo. Djokovic did just enough in those rallies.

What, the second BP in the third was an awesome point.

Nole fan
05-28-2011, 03:29 PM

:hug:

coonster14
05-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Bad luck for Delpo!!! :sad:, hope he gets back into the top 10 very soon. :)

Well done to Nole! :hatoff:, Nole is just a bad match-up for Delpo, exploiting the big man's suspect movement, and targeting the less dangerous backhand wing nicely. Nole just moves too well, he was extremely solid from the baseline with his defense, and he hit some great winners given the chance, great serving as well Too damn good.

Most disappointing thing about this match was it happened in the 3rd round, it should have been at least a QF or SF. :o

SheepleBuster
05-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Love the modesty.

The prospects look bleak to see him put in his place, but there are 4 rounds left.

You know I am a die hard Fed fan, right? But what Nole is doing and the way he handled Del Po today. And how Nadal is being pushed by people like Andojar or Isner, who is going to stop Nole. I'd say Roger has some chance. Rafa has a shot but he is playing in a piss poor fashion.

Dejan16
05-28-2011, 03:31 PM

:haha: your not serious right?

Anyway well done from nole today, was just the more consistent player out there. All the haters can go back and cry in their holes until the semis.

mystic ice cube
05-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Day break obviously benefited Nole here, but the outcome was always going to be the same. Delpo did well considering he is still not 100%. Go Nole. :)

JanKowalski
05-28-2011, 03:32 PM
What, the second BP in the third was an awesome point.

The point was good, but nothing spectacular and ended with a weird mishit from Delpo like the first one.

Bigselber
Delpo was horrible today.. Djokovic was solid but dosen't look unbeatable at all

vn01
i am really proud of del potro :worship: he fought and tried his best, but djokovic is too good, atm. juan lost the match after missing 2 break points in the 3rd set and then got broken. that was the crucial moment. djokovic with a great attack, defence and movement, as usual ;)

on hardcourt, the argentine would be a big threat and a favourite for all the titles, imo. his game is improving, though, he needs some more matches. he would have won against anyone, but djokovic at the french open.

good luck to nole in the next round

Leopold Stotch
05-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Was watching Monaco quali but from yesterdays two sets it looked like a very high level of tennis, oh and nice one Victor.

AnnaK_4ever
05-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Rather anticlimatic ending to what promised to be a thrilling match and Djokovic is the one to "blame".
Novak just completely handcuffed Del Potro from the baseline leaving him with no ther option other than going for low percentage shots which is not the biggest of JMDP's fortes. And during the rare rallies JMDP was actually able to control Djokovic were counterpunching superbly.
Perhaps, a better serving day would help Del Potro make the match more close but I don't think the final outcome would be different. Djokovic was just too good, once again proving to be a MUCH more resourceful player. Congrats!

zcess81
05-28-2011, 03:34 PM
The point was good, but nothing spectacular and ended with a weird mishit from Delpo like the first one.

Also known as a "forced error"...which is as good as a winner.

«Ivan»
05-28-2011, 03:34 PM

jonatan is right-you are the sadest....as for the match nole is just tooo good for delpo at the moment........msg for LAWRENCEOFSTUPIDITY -i can say now - nole fans,most of them like delpo.so next time just dont write,think,do nothing..............i have maternal instict getta,i love nole.

SheepleBuster
05-28-2011, 03:35 PM
i am really proud of del potro :worship: he fought and tried his best, but djokovic is too good, atm. juan lost the match after missing 2 break points in the 3rd set and then got broken. that was the crucial moment. djokovic with a great attack, defence and movement, as usual ;)

on hardcourt, the argentine would be a big threat and a favourite for all the titles, imo. his game is improving, though, he needs some more matches. he would have won against anyone, but djokovic at the french open.

good luck to nole in the next round

If he stays injury free, Delpo should win a couple more US opens and Australian Opens. I think he is capable of winning the French too. On grass I am not sure yet

oneandonlyhsn
05-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Ajde Nole, tht was a very solid performance.
Delpo :hug: so glad to have him back if his body holds up and gets more matches and a big win before the US Open he will def be a threat

JanKowalski
05-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Also known as a "forced error"...which is as good as a winner.

No, Delpo miscalculated, he should have gotten to that easily, that's not a forced error IMO. Either way, this discussion is pointless now.

SheepleBuster
05-28-2011, 03:37 PM
And Frak Tennis Channel. Their "free" stream stopped working mid 4th set. Charlatans.

MacTheKnife
Kind of anticlimactic, thought both guys were playing better yesterday. To bad the match had to be split up. Don't think it changed the out come, but it seemed the level of tennis did go down a bit today.

Dejan16
Hoping for a delpo - nole, usopen final.

chewy

Yeah I thought that was unnecessary too...

This was a big match in many ways, great to see the mutual respect shown for each other at the end.
These two are my current favs out of the very best players.

Greatness
05-28-2011, 03:38 PM
I felt Novak pulled the trigger too quickly in some of the rallies but he made
the adjustment and took more time: this led Delpo to make some unforced errors.

Great finish from Novak.

vn01
05-28-2011, 03:38 PM

it'd be great. and a 5-setter, please ;)

hipolymer
05-28-2011, 03:41 PM
More importantly, another of Olderer's records is broken. 42 in a row for Novak. :worship:

MIMIC
I felt Novak pulled the trigger too quickly in some of the rallies but he made
the adjustment and took more time: this led Delpo to make some unforced errors.

Great finish from Novak.

I noticed that too (and so did del Potro).

del Potro started to just play the point when Djokovic was making crazy errors. Then Djokovic stopped going for winners/advantageous shots and then it was del Potro who couldn't keep up in the rallies.

«Ivan»
:hug:

we-re not promiscuous nina,we love nole n like others......maternal is gooood. LOVE YA :hug:

oneandonlyhsn
05-28-2011, 03:44 PM

:thumbsup:
That would be incredible

Lee
05-28-2011, 03:44 PM
And Frak Tennis Channel. Their "free" stream stopped working mid 4th set. Charlatans.

I think there was a techical problem because all streams were dead from Directv too but they came back later.

JanKowalski
05-28-2011, 03:45 PM
More importantly, another of Olderer's records is broken. 42 in a row for Novak. :worship:

Federer never had the record, Vilas (46), Lendl, Borg and McEnroe had longer winning streaks.

Also, why another? Which Federer record was broken recently?

tennishero
05-28-2011, 03:45 PM

match could have been completely different had he taken one of those, novak's defense was too good though and delpo not consistent enough yet.

really pointless violation and particularly at a bad time. its not like delpo was winning and the match had a long way to go, fucking idiot pascal. besides novak takes a lot more during points.

one thing i must say is novak's dramatic grunting is really annoying, he needs to shut the fuck up sometimes and concede teh pont instead of trying to distract and put off the opponent.

delpo isnt at his best yet, way to many UE'S but the groundstrokes are there at least.

«Ivan»
05-28-2011, 03:46 PM
under these circumstances only Novak fans are loving this win.

find a cave.

Time Violation
05-28-2011, 03:47 PM
one thing i must say is novak's dramatic grunting is really annoying, he needs to shut the fuck up sometimes... it must be really distracting for the opponent.

Delpo wasn't exactly silent either.

Noleta
05-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Good thing they don't hand out the trophy after 3 rounds.

:lol:

hipolymer
05-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Federer never had the record, Vilas (46), Lendl, Borg and McEnroe had longer winning streaks.

I know, but it is a still a streak from 1990, the beginning of ATP Tour.

MacTheKnife
05-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Time violation was chicken shit. Either enforce it equitably or not at all!!

«Ivan»
05-28-2011, 03:50 PM

agreed.would be great.

zcess81
05-28-2011, 03:50 PM
match could have been completely different had he taken one of those, novak's defense was too good though and delpo not consistent enough yet.

really pointless violation and particularly at a bad time. its not like delpo was winning and the match had a long way to go, fucking idiot pascal. besides novak takes a lot more during points.

one thing i must say is novak's dramatic grunting is really annoying, he needs to shut the fuck up sometimes... it must be really distracting for the opponent.

delpo isnt at his best yet, but the groundstrokes are there at least.

Hehe his grunting is nothing compared to Delpo's grunting...I mean come on, you cannot be serious...Delpo grunts like a mule, but I don't see why grunting is annoying during physical points. It's only annoying when it's done on easy/non-physical rallies or drop shots...In women's tennis it is especially annoying as they ALWAYS grunt. In any case, grunting is not against the rules, so it's all fair in the end of the day.

Regarding time violation, yes I agree that Delpo shouldn't have been warned but I disagree that Nole takes more time than him. Get your stopwatch next time and time Nole...He doesn't take THAT much time, what he does is bounce the ball a lot when he gets nervous (and there are no rules regarding ball count) but he's almost always within allowed time between serves.

LawrenceOfTennis
05-28-2011, 03:51 PM
He played very well, but beside this,Djokovic is the luckiest player in recent times. He apologised for many points in this match, didn't matter how awkward was the return move, the balls ended up on the lines outside edge.

ssin
05-28-2011, 03:53 PM
find a cave.

why? Novak is my favorite player, by far. This is the right time to gloat :)

ssin
05-28-2011, 03:55 PM
He played very well, but beside this,Djokovic is the luckiest player in recent times. He apologised for many points in this match, didn't matter how awkward was the return move, the balls ended up on the lines outside edge.

Still, there was hardly a way for Pony to win this match today. Actually, Delpo was quite lucky to win a set.

tennishero
05-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Delpo wasn't exactly silent either.

Hehe his grunting is nothing compared to Delpo's grunting...I mean come on, you cannot be serious...Delpo Grunts like a mule, but I don't see why grunting is annoying during physical points. It's only annoying when it's done on easy/non-physical rallies or drop shots...In women's tennis it is especially annoying as they ALWAYS grunt.

Regarding time violation, yes I agree that Delpo shouldn't have been warned but I disagree that Nole takes more time than him. Get your stopwatch next time and time Nole...He doesn't take THAT much time, what he does is bounce the ball a lot when he gets nervous (and there are no rules regarding ball count) but he's almost always withing allowed time between serves.

nope, delpo has a consistent normal grunt when hitting hard during rallies, never does he change or elevate his tone. on the other hand as soon as novak is on the backfoot during a rally he starts to grunt like a bitch, even if its just blocking the ball back.

your_valentine
Solid. I expected more of Del Pony after yesterday. Keep going Novak, the title is yours for the taking :hearts:

JanKowalski
Hehe his grunting is nothing compared to Delpo's grunting...I mean come on, you cannot be serious...Delpo Grunts like a mule, but I don't see why grunting is annoying during physical points. It's only annoying when it's done on easy/non-physical rallies or drop shots...In women's tennis it is especially annoying as they ALWAYS grunt.

Regarding time violation, yes I agree that Delpo shouldn't have been warned but I disagree that Nole takes more time than him. Get your stopwatch next time and time Nole...He doesn't take THAT much time, what he does is bounce the ball a lot when he gets nervous (and there are no rules regarding ball count) but he's almost always withing allowed time between serves.

The fact that the timer is stopped when the player starts bouncing the ball (which both Nadal and Djokovc are abusing regularly) is one of the most pathetic and brainless ATP rules.

zcess81
05-28-2011, 03:57 PM

Luck plays part in every match but luck played no part in the outcome of this match. Delpo was never winning this match. I was almost certain he'll sneak a set but I was never in doubt as to who's winning this match.

ssin
05-28-2011, 03:58 PM
nope, delpo has a consistent normal grunt when hitting hard during rallies, never does he change or elevate his tone. on the other hand as soon as novak is on the backfoot during a rally he starts to grunt like a bitch, even if its just blocking the ball back.

so much bitterness :lol::lol:

Scotso
05-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Nole :yeah:

Alex999
05-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Nice match. Djokovic was too solid. His ROS was great. DP played well but that wasn't good enough. Congrats to both players. I would also love to see them in the USO final.

«Ivan»
05-28-2011, 04:01 PM

:haha: vanish pls

Nole fan
05-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Roland Garros: Djokovic d. del Potro (http://www.tennis.com)
05/28/2011 - 10:49 AM

This was a match of two halves: one in the chilly evening, the other in bright afternoon sunshine. One half a contest, the other a rout, as Novak Djokovic claimed his 42nd straight win, defeating Juan Martin del Potro, 6-3, 3-6, 6-2, 6-2.

The key to del Potro’s form is not his killer forehand, but his movement. He will never possess Djokovic’s supple athleticism, but there are matches—even months at a time—when his feet are moving and he gets to every ball with court coverage unprecedented in such a tall man. When that happens, everything else falls into place and he suddenly grows in stature before your eyes. After a routinely brilliant first set from Djokovic last night, it happened: del Potro’s feet took flight and he evened the match with nine brutal, pummeling games that showed why this contest was so eagerly anticipated, and why he could have been the man to end Djokovic’s streak.

The thing about del Potro’s footwork, though, is that when it’s bad, it can be very bad. Returning to Court Suzanne Lenglen for a match now reframed as a best-of-three set contest, the Argentine started off well, earning two break points as Djokovic, wary of del Potro’s reach, went too far in an attempt to drag him off court. At 2-2, 15-40, del Potro had a chance to grab an early and possibly decisive advantage—and played as if his feet were in wet cement, not clay, netting a routine forehand that he couldn’t get his body around. After the 25-stroke rally, Djokovic reacted with a roar and clenched fist, del Potro’s head dropped, and it was one-way traffic from that point on.

With a demoralized del Potro broken in the next game, the story of the match quickly shifted from a close contest to one set of brilliance bracketed by three of inexorable, clinical skill from Djokovic. With hindsight, it’s tempting to feel that del Potro was ill-served by being forced to stop play, with the momentum his at the time, but such an analysis doesn’t do justice to how well Djokovic played—or the potential advantage to del Potro when the match became a sprint, rather than a marathon. Playing from some otherworldly plane of calm and confidence after winning 41 consecutive matches, Djokovic disdained flashes of magnificence from del Potro and the occasional unforced error of his own, consigning both to irrelevance. He had the courage of his convictions, sticking with stinging, down-the-line backhands and perfectly-executed drop shots despite the occasional misfire, and it paid off.

It’s a futile endeavour to find enough superlatives for Djokovic’s tennis at the moment. He was handed the draw that struck fear into the hearts of every top player and overcame the challenge superbly. Del Potro will be reproaching himself for missed opportunities and a lack of self-belief at crucial moments, but he will also have to admit—and the rest of us to remember—that Djokovic was simply too good.

—Hannah Wilks

DrJules
05-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Still, there was hardly a way for Pony to win this match today. Actually, Delpo was quite lucky to win a set.

At 1 set and 2 all and Djokovic serving 15-40 this was any bodies match.

As they say a contest like this is decided on a couple of points. Djokovic held and then broke Del Potro. Djokovic played the key points today better.

zcess81
05-28-2011, 04:03 PM

Oh man...you ever tried to hit backhand/forehand blocks while keeping your center of gravity that low...while you're stretched to your limit? Have you seen how physical his blocks are? Delpo was firing BULLETS at him, so to be stretched, keep your centre of gravity that low, while absorbing impact of the ball travelling faster than most cars, most players would be screaming not grunting. I'm sorry but you either don't play tennis or being just ignorant. In fact some of Nole's blocks requite way more energy than forehands/backhands...so if anything he should be grunting more during his blocks than forehands/backhands.

zcess81
05-28-2011, 04:04 PM

Oh man...you ever tried to hit backhand/forehand blocks while keeping your center of gravity that low...while you're stretched to your limit? Have you seen how physical his blocks are? Delpo was firing BULLETS at him, so to be stretched, keep your centre of gravity that low, while absorbing impact of the ball travelling faster than most cars, most players would be screaming not grunting. I'm sorry but you either don't play tennis or being just ignorant. In fact some of Nole's blocks requite way more energy than forehands/backhands...so if anything he should be grunting more during his blocks than forehands/backhands.

NadalPhan
05-28-2011, 04:04 PM
:haha: your not serious right?

Anyway well done from nole today, was just the more consistent player out there. All the haters can go back and cry in their holes until the semis.

Why is that funny? Is Nadal not capable of beating him on Clay, or do you just assume Joker will never lose a match again for the rest of his career?

Nole Rules
05-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Nole. Keep going champ.:hearts:

«Ivan»
why? Novak is my favorite player, by far. This is the right time to gloat :)

sorry,my bad.i-m so tired of haters.lets gloat

Ne6ojsa Ser6ia
That hug at the end was nice.
+1

SwissMiss19
05-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Novak is the unbeatable man right now. It looks as though he will never be beaten and it's hard to remember he's only human :lol: Delpo was a class act by applauding Novak on those no-way-he-made-it winners. You are on the edge of your seat with Novak because you wonder if anyone can take him out but you in the back of your head that he's just too solid of an opponent. He has gotten into the minds of Rafael and Roger, causing even those greatest men to falter. Once a person gets inside your head and causes you to be careful with placement, power, etc. they are never the same against the person. They have to remember that Novak is only human and I think that will only be able to happen when Novak whens but --- when is that ever going to happen? :lol: :lol:

tektonac
05-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Why is that funny? Is Nadal not capable of beating him on Clay, or do you just assume Joker will never lose a match again for the rest of his career?

can't you see fear on Nadal's face?

ossie
05-28-2011, 04:08 PM
delpo still has too many lapses to beat players of this caliber. he should reach top 4/5 soon but is going to have to work on his consistency to be able to win slams again. the pace of his recovery makes me think he will end up as the number 1 favorite for usopen.

Sapeod
05-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Well, there's a good reason for that. Ljubicic is probably his next opponent, which is hard enough, but Soderling is looming...

BK123
05-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Eh, I was expecting more of a match after yesterday. Delpo bashed the ball less, but even if it is unpleasing to the eye, more power and consistency would have steamrolled Djoker.

As it stands though, Djoker's too solid to lose and raises his game when he needs to.

Nadal should be scared that there's yet another competitor to the throne.

SwissMiss19
05-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Hehe his grunting is nothing compared to Delpo's grunting...I mean come on, you cannot be serious...Delpo grunts like a mule, but I don't see why grunting is annoying during physical points. It's only annoying when it's done on easy/non-physical rallies or drop shots...In women's tennis it is especially annoying as they ALWAYS grunt. In any case, grunting is not against the rules, so it's all fair in the end of the day.

Regarding time violation, yes I agree that Delpo shouldn't have been warned but I disagree that Nole takes more time than him. Get your stopwatch next time and time Nole...He doesn't take THAT much time, what he does is bounce the ball a lot when he gets nervous (and there are no rules regarding ball count) but he's almost always within allowed time between serves.

There is nothing wrong with grunting. Have you ever hit as hard as you could being run from all sides of the court? I'm going to say no because you have no idea how hard these men and women work on the court. Tennis is one of the hardest, if not the hardest, sports to play. These sport is physically abusing. Some men and women grunt to develop a rhythm. It also helps for breathing purposes.

NadalPhan
05-28-2011, 04:25 PM

But seriously though. The other poster said that Nadal is the only one that could stop Djokovic's at this point, and his response is "haha, you're not serious"? The guy will lose another match at some point in his career folks.

tektonac
05-28-2011, 04:32 PM
But seriously though. The other poster said that Nadal is the only one that could stop Djokovic's at this point, and his response is "haha, you're not serious"? The guy will lose another match at some point in his career folks.

sure he'll lose, but i just hope it won't happen in Paris :scratch:

SwissMiss19
05-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Well yes he's only human, but to whom and when is the question :lol:

Farenhajt
05-28-2011, 04:36 PM
The loss of the second set is completely Nole's fault. Played a horrendous game, got broken, and then couldn't apply pressure on Del Potty (who admittedly kept his composure), allowing him to hold serve until the bitter end.

But today he knew better.

Who?

homogenius
05-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Easy, as expected.Didn't make the same mistake as in the 2nd set yesterday.
BTW : Del Potro is overrated on this board imho.

freeandlonely
05-28-2011, 05:03 PM
nid

Alex999
05-28-2011, 05:08 PM
I don't think he is overrated at all. He is a very good player. It's sad that he had to deal with so many injuries. DP at 100% can beat anybody. I personally respect him as a great player and I love his personality. He has a big heart. I see him as a noble giant :D.

«Ivan»
05-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Del Potro is overrated on this board imho.
theres smth wrong in your imho

guichard
05-28-2011, 05:17 PM
agree 100% Don't know why this was bill has a 'big clash" .

selyoink
05-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Djokovic is pretty much in the final now.

NadalesDios
05-28-2011, 05:27 PM
The loss of the second set is completely Nole's fault. Played a horrendous game, got broken, and then couldn't apply pressure on Del Potty (who admittedly kept his composure), allowing him to hold serve until the bitter end.

But today he knew better.

Who?

You know, Nadal, the man who has 9 GS,19 MS, 1 olympics gold, 3 davis cup, is nº1 in the world, has the career GS, 16-11 h2h vs Djokovic...do you remember? :wavey:

velikikomsa@gmai
05-28-2011, 05:29 PM
No, Delpo miscalculated, he should have gotten to that easily, that's not a forced error IMO. Either way, this discussion is pointless now.

Go eat something boy, I have a feeling you're nervous.

shiaben
05-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Expected, unfortunately. Del Potro will have to credit himself though for getting a set off Djokovic.

SwissMiss19
05-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Expected, unfortunately. Del Potro will have to credit himself though for getting a set off Djokovic.

That's for sure. Especially after wrist surgery ;)

Arkulari
05-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Juan did a valiant effort but you gotta be something else if you're trying to beat Djokovic these days.

LawrenceOfTennis
05-28-2011, 06:10 PM
The gap betwwen them is definetely not big. Djokovic plays the best tennis of his life while Del Potro is still returning back from injury and having a hip injury right now. If we consider these factors, I think the gap between them is even smaller than it looked like in this match. Delpo has to improve his serve and the move, if he manages it, he will surely able to beat Djokovic or anybody. I still think that only Djokovic and Nadal can beat Delpo right now. He is already on a level what would trouble Federer or Murray. He showed what he can do to Soderling's one dimensional game.

Mr. Oracle
05-28-2011, 06:17 PM
While the massive power seemed to be a challenge for Joker yesterday, Pony's inability to sustain his one dimensional game is what cost him. The better all around player justly moves on. Tennis wins.

cobalt60
05-28-2011, 06:23 PM
:hatoff: to both of these lovely guys. Thought JM just might pull off an upset if it hadn't gotten dark :p Well ok not. But can't wait until he is up to snuff again. Hard courts can't come soon enough for me.

Huey84
05-28-2011, 06:27 PM
The Joke is far from having the tittle in the bag. A potential semi vs Frauderer and a final agains Nadull are huge obsticles in a best out of 5 match no matter how good of a run you're on. I predict Nadal to get to final, and as a result olderer will soil himself and lose the SF vs The Joke. In the final I'm guessing Nodoll takes it in 5 sets.

Mr. Oracle
05-28-2011, 06:48 PM
The Joke is far from having the tittle in the bag. A potential semi vs Frauderer and a final agains Nadull are huge obsticles in a best out of 5 match no matter how good of a run you're on. I predict Nadal to get to final, and as a result olderer will soil himself and lose the SF vs The Joke. In the final I'm guessing Nodoll takes it in 5 sets.

Wow, so you think matches against Federer and Nadal (two of the winningest players in history) may be a challenge? A career in sports commentary is in your future for sure!!

Benny Blanco
05-28-2011, 06:57 PM
So many Nole haters crawled out from under their rock last night.But,it was all for nothing and now they're crying.What a day,phenomenal.First,Troicki eliminates that ugly flat-chested girl Dolgo and than Nole routines the Caveman.Special greetings to LawrenceOfTennis,The Magician,Mungo,jerriy,NadalesDios,tennishero,Nadal Phan,FerrerandNadall.Oh well,haters keep on hating,Nole keeps on winning.

nole_no1
05-28-2011, 06:58 PM
What a shame my favourite players played one against each other so early :sad:
Falla - Chela for a place in the QF and Nole - Delpo playing in R3...great :confused:

Still well done Nole for keeping the streak alive and well done Delpo for a good efort and a well played match :yeah:

Benny Blanco
05-28-2011, 07:06 PM

Two words for you,basz meg.

LawrenceOfTennis
05-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Two words for you,basz meg.

baszd meg,köcsög

Alex999
05-28-2011, 07:22 PM
^^^wtf you two... speak English :-)

Time Violation
05-28-2011, 07:26 PM
^^^wtf you two... speak English :-)

Better yet, take it to PMs ;)

Luinir
05-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Del Potro was awful in the fourth set. Some good stuff from Djokovic but he's beatable.

rubbERR
05-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Del Potro was awful in the fourth set. Some good stuff from Djokovic but he's beatable.

Whos going to beat him? Mr.Federer who can play even worse than what Delpo did today or Nadal who is going 5 sets against Americans on clay thesedays :lol:

Federer losing his game is even worse than how Delpo played 3rd and 4th sets

MIMIC
05-28-2011, 07:39 PM

What can I say. It's champion's luck. :shrug:

rubbERR
05-28-2011, 07:43 PM
What can I say. It's champion's luck. :shrug:

What? Champions luck? Its just sign that player is In-form and cant miss much.

Sofonda Cox
05-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Djokovic has risen to number 2 on my tennis hate list.

rubbERR
05-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Nole is just going dominate tennis next years with Delpo, Federer, Murray and Nadal battling runner-up spots if they are not his side of the draw :lol:

MIMIC
05-28-2011, 07:49 PM
What? Champions luck? Its just sign that player is In-form and cant miss much.

I know. What I said makes it more magical :)

Alex999
05-28-2011, 08:13 PM
just curious ... who is #1 on your hate list :cool:?

Orka_n
05-28-2011, 08:15 PM
just curious ... who is #1 on your hate list :cool:?Gotta be Murray :lol:

Ukyo
05-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Probably himself. Hating someone you don't even know and that person not being Murray is worrying.

Benny Blanco
05-28-2011, 08:38 PM

Give him some time and he'll become number 1 on your hate list.

Alex999
05-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Give him some time and he'll become number 1 on your hate list.
Nole must be #1 on all lists :lol::bigclap:

ssin
05-28-2011, 09:25 PM
At 1 set and 2 all and Djokovic serving 15-40 this was any bodies match.

As they say a contest like this is decided on a couple of points. Djokovic held and then broke Del Potro. Djokovic played the key points today better.

Delpo struggled much more to keep his serve throughout the match. He is indeed a great player, maybe even future No1. I picked Novak would win in 4 before the match. If Delpo was 100% fit, it would be much more open match. However, I believe their H2H is 4:0 now.

Sunset of Age
05-28-2011, 09:34 PM
The pivotal game in this match was of course that 2-2 *15-40 game in the third set. And once again a certain Law of Tennis came true: if one doesn't manage to break despite having a couple of chances, watch that guy get broken himself in the very next game... and from that moment on it was obvious to me that this was to be Djoko's match.

Not that I expected anything less before the match, DelPotro is an excellent player when he's fully fit, but the injuries have obviously taken their toll. In fact, he's done more than I expected from him in this RG. Congrats to Djokovic - the (far) better player prevailed.

Benny Blanco
05-28-2011, 09:50 PM
The pivotal game in this match was of course that 2-2 *15-40 game in the third set. And once again a certain Law of Tennis came true: if one doesn't manage to break despite having a couple of chances, watch that guy get broken himself in the very next game... and from that moment on it was obvious to me that this was to be Djoko's match.

Not that I expected anything less before the match, DelPotro is an excellent player when he's fully fit, but the injuries have obviously taken their toll. In fact, he's done more than I expected from him in this RG. Congrats to Djokovic - the (far) better player prevailed.

Good comment.

tennishero
05-28-2011, 11:37 PM

i never had issues with him, but his attitude and the way he carries himself on the court is starting to annoy now.

tennishero
05-28-2011, 11:38 PM

its a shame as he was up 40-15 in the next game and still got broken.

Benny Blanco
05-28-2011, 11:47 PM
i never had issues with him, but his attitude and the way he carries himself on the court is starting to annoy now.

You'll be annoyed a lot in the years to come.

Voo de Mar
05-28-2011, 11:53 PM
It's good for D'Joke that he overcame Del Potro during the amazing streak. Looking back to analyze the streak there won't be accusations that he didn't beat some notable player and the streak was a fluke. He has beaten them all: Nadal (4x), Federer (3x), Murray (2x), Pics, Soderling and virtual Top 5 player - Del Potro.

I love surprises so would be great to see an unexpected champion in Paris, but on the other hand I think the Serb deserves to be the first man in the Open era to win at least 50 consecutive matches.

If he wins in Paris, I hope he will get at least 4 matches in a row in his first tournament on grass.

tskimny
05-29-2011, 12:17 AM
Djokovic was still making a lot of unforced errors against DelPotro. I would like to see him play a cleaner game and avoid those unnecessary unforced errors.

Return game was superb as expected.
Backhand was working.
Forehand was a little shaky.

A much easier match vs Gasquet, thank God.

Ajde Nole!

Why So Serious?
05-29-2011, 12:56 AM
First of all, congratulationsn to Juan-Martin for taking a set against the Djoker, his first ever and it's against the best player on this planet curently. Not at all an easy achievement, so well done.

It's a shame that the gentle Giant and the Djoker met so early in the tournament and one had to go. Nole and Pony are two great players who are friendly with eachother, they share respect and I think they displayed it on court today also.

Pony's firepower in the second set felt like Belucci vs. Djokovic at the Madrid semi-finals. Nole to eager in the rallies making unusual mistakes by hitting to hard and sharp. Today he toned that down, being more patient and going for the higher percentage shots which accounted for more winners and also more forced errors by his opponent. That's basically what he changed in his tactics today, he always had a chance to break Pony's serve. In the lost set yesterday he had breakpoints a couple of times so he wasn't worried by that at all. It becomes worrying when someone is serving so good that Nole with his ROS can't return the ball deep enough, it's rare to see that nowadays but I felt that Belucci was doing it for over a set and also Murray served extremely well against the Serb in the Rome semi-finals but it also somehow cost them the match by taking higher risks on their second wich you need to against a great returner like Nole.

I don't feel that it was a bad match overall, it went fast when Nole hold his serve and broke Pony's right after, yes.., but the level of play was high. With such a level of play you need to keep up with it, Pony isn't at the level yet that he can keep the consistency high enough, not a shame there aren't many players that can.

Great win for Nole, it's not an easy path for him at Roland Garros, still winning 40 straight matches since the beginning of this year and extending his streak to 42 in total is absolutely an unreal achievement.

-We Are All Witnesses-

Ultravox
05-29-2011, 01:18 AM

Beatable? Of course,who is not? But he will write tennis history with 50 + consecutive wins and after that,who cares:devil:
I'm sure he got boring of all this...
Imagine, day after day you wake up and you know in advance that you will win again and again and again.Boring like hell.

.-Federers_Mate-.
05-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Classic match right here. Absolute barnburner in the first two sets, with nothing to separate them. Eventually the better player pulls through with a mixture of grit/steel and skill. Some outstadnig rallies here with Djokovic utilizing every inch of Lenglen. What a player. Just outplayed Delpo. Absorbed bed everything the lank had and through it right back at him. Djokovic's flexibility never ceases to amaze. Djokovic in 2011 never ceases to amaze me. His rise is sports biggest story in 2011

Orka_n
05-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Fed's mate :haha:

Start da Game
05-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Classic match right here. Absolute barnburner in the first two sets, with nothing to separate them. Eventually the better player pulls through with a mixture of grit/steel and skill. Some outstadnig rallies here with Djokovic utilizing every inch of Lenglen. What a player. Just outplayed Delpo. Absorbed bed everything the lank had and through it right back at him. Djokovic's flexibility never ceases to amaze. Djokovic in 2011 never ceases to amaze me. His rise is sports biggest story in 2011

fed's mate, i thought juan martin was somewhat hard done with the suspension of play at 1 set all, the momentum was with him and it should really have gone five sets.......

i thought exactly this when i said del potro in 5 sets before the match: djokovic would come out swinging big straightaway but del potro not being 100% would take time to find his range.......

d pot found his rhythm just in time but french tennis frauderation had already killed the match by then with their lame scheduling.......