RG R3: Richard Gasquet-Ivanovic def. Thomaz Bellucci 6-2 6-3 3-6 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

RG R3: Richard Gasquet-Ivanovic def. Thomaz Bellucci 6-2 6-3 3-6 6-3

Tutu
05-27-2011, 06:14 PM
:rolleyes:

solowyn
05-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Never seen Gasquet so pumped up. Good stuff.

Certinfy
05-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Overreacting like hell :haha:

Can't wait till this clown gets owned by Djokovic or Del Potro next round, should be a treat.

Clydey
05-27-2011, 06:16 PM
What a fighter, this Gasquet.

Love those manly fist pumps.

TennisOnWood
Great job Richi.. lets make another one

pienet
Great win by Gasquet, produced some great tennis to get the decisive break in the 4th. Bellucci a bit sloppy at the end.

Champion number 1
Was nearly Gaschoke at 1 stage but he came through.

yuri27
Never seen Gasquet so pumped up. Good stuff.

Yeah me too.:eek:

Action Jackson
05-27-2011, 06:17 PM
The Ostrich at 3-3 0-30 missed the bh, but the showpony showed some steel. Well deserved for Gasquet.

finishingmove
what a celebration

i would think he won RG by the reaction :worship: :lol:

Tutu
Bellucci was a fucking idiot. Gasquet was choking as usual yet he still managed to fuck up that fourth set.

All the Nadal fistpumps and Allezs from Gasquet off routine Bellucci errors, and then the way he fell to the ground as if her won the tournament. I can't. :sobbing:

Sonja1989
05-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Hm... :awww: Bellu was awful in first two sets. If he would play so well like in last two set this match would have been much more exciting. I don't say Thomaz should win but maybe would have been 5th setter.

Even so deserved win Gasquet, he plays really nice during this week and recently. :worship: Keep it up and who knows... maybe he can reach top 10 again.

straitup
Thought Richard was going to choke after losing the 3rd set, but kudos to him :yeah:

Clydey
what a celebration

He did. Smooth sailing from here for Frog Heart.

Javier Bardem
I wasnt too impressed with Gasquet here, good win but I dont think he has enough to beat Djokovic

GasquetFan
05-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Dedicated to all the haters :devil: Allezzzzzzz good luck against Nole/JMDP Richie!

Javier Bardem
a lot of really nice drop shots in this one

alter ego
Gasquet is a real dark horse for the tournament. Belluci started to play like in Madrid in the third and first half of the 4th set, but Gasquet had none of it. He came to the net and played some amazing volleys.

BULLZ1LLA
05-27-2011, 06:21 PM
(I can see why Gasquiet was so pumped up, this was his Roland Garros Final in a way, or Semi-Final whatever)

bleu_cheese
05-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Backhand not so good in the last two sets, but nice forehand to finish. Really shows his confidence these days attacking off that wing.

ImmzB
05-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Alllez Gasquet!!! :woohoo:

Nice to see Gasquet really pumping himself up and getting crowd into it!! :)

Bellucci played very well in the 3rd set and in start in the 4th, if he had started like it could of been different story for him!!

Really happy Richard is through to the 4th round!! :bounce:

Rafa#Uno:-)
05-27-2011, 06:22 PM
good too see gasquet pumped up
havent seen that before

GugaF1
05-27-2011, 06:24 PM
One of the keys to this match is that Gasquet served great, better than Bellucci who has one of the best serves out there, but gasquet had a much higher % and aces was holding much easier for al ong time. Bellucci made a few stupid errors here and there but the way gasquet broke him with those gutsy volleys can'y knock on Bellucci too much, merrits to Gasquet.

thegreendestiny
05-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Did he scream adje? :o

Claroo
05-27-2011, 06:27 PM
People might think he overeacted, but they just don't understand how important it was for him.

He had never reached the fourth round in RG, and a few months ago, seing how things were going at the beginning of the fourth set, he would have lost that match in five, blowing a two sets lead... again. But no, he fought, even though Bellucci was playing very well, he broke back, hold his nerves and won it. It must have been such a relief for him !

So good job Richard, nice fight, keep it up ! ;)

Gagsquet
05-27-2011, 06:27 PM
what a spartan. Very beautiful game from Gasquet.
Good serve and he won the 4th in his head!
ALLEEZZ

Orka_n
05-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Good stuff. :) I'm happy to see Gasquet getting some nice results lately.

silverwhite
05-27-2011, 06:29 PM
If he had choked this match away, people would be flaming him too, so who cares if it helped him not to choke? :rolleyes:

Anyway, Bellucci was pretty pumped up himself :shrug:

silverwhite
05-27-2011, 06:30 PM

Can't wait till this clown gets owned by Djokovic or Del Potro next round, should be a treat.

Getting owned by Djokovic or Del Potro in the 4th round beats being bumped out in the first round by a qualifier any day :D

silverwhite
05-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Bellucci was a fucking idiot. Gasquet was choking as usual yet he still managed to fuck up that fourth set.

All the Nadal fistpumps and Allezs from Gasquet off routine Bellucci errors, and then the way he fell to the ground as if her won the tournament. I can't. :sobbing:

How long have you been following tennis? Do you know how many leads he has choked away, especially in Grand Slams? Not choking this one away when he looked like he was going to at one point is quite an achievement, IMO :tape:

Schu
05-27-2011, 06:34 PM
what a celebration

The guy never got past the second round in his home tourney due to massive chokes. He Finally reverses what appears to be yet another choke loss - so yea he was pumped and it was DAMN good to see. Tsonga does that after a 6-1,6-1 routine win and everybody eats it up.

Last few games were good, aggressive, inspired tennis from Gasquet after looking like it was going to a 5th. BRAVO RICHIE!!

icecastle
05-27-2011, 06:34 PM
So happy to see Richie getting to R4 in RG for the first time! :D

icecastle
05-27-2011, 06:35 PM
How long have you been following tennis? Do you know how many leads he has choked away, especially in Grand Slams? Not choking this one away when he looked like he was going to at one point is quite an achievement, IMO :tape:

+1 :lol:

misty1
05-27-2011, 06:35 PM
congrats to richard

after he dropped the 3rd and got broken to start the 4thm even though he broke back i could see this going 5 with bellucci coming out on top

icecastle
05-27-2011, 06:37 PM

Getting owned by Djokovic or Del Potro in the 4th round beats being bumped out in the first round by a qualifier any day :D

:haha: :p

ImmzB
05-27-2011, 06:40 PM

+3

Schu
05-27-2011, 06:42 PM

:worship:

Gretchen.
05-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Hattaaaaaas

http://i52.tinypic.com/rk9b2o.gif

Johnny Groove
05-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Allez allez allez Richie.

Puschkin
05-27-2011, 06:54 PM
People might think he overeacted, but they just don't understand how important it was for him.

Who cares what people think? Those who follow Richard KNOW andunderstand. I was travelling and missed almost all of the match. I just saw the break in the last set and the game to serve it out, well done, Richard, you are right to be proud!

Vlad1980
05-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Great performance. He got tight in 3rd and 4th set, but the energy and the crowd gave him the lift.

Allez!

Rafallucci.
05-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Richie played a blinder, that BH is one jewel of a shot. :drool: Well done.

Thomaz. :hug:

Vlad1980
05-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Richie played a blinder, that BH is one jewel of a shot. :drool: Well done.

Thomaz. :hug:

Actually I feel like his forehand and serve were better today than his backhand.

Roddickominator
05-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Always good to see Mugllucci leave in defeat. Also good to see Richard winning some of these matches that he'd be getting rolled in a few months ago....hopefully he is finding some consistent form.

Naina
05-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Didn't watch but really glad he won :yeah:

GugaF1
05-27-2011, 08:27 PM
i think Gasquet could get a huge boost from this. He went from being shaky on the 3 set and being broke right away in the 4 to holding and bearking Bellucci with a great game full of touch and going to the net and than really fed off the energy of the crowd to close out the match. He will be a force to be dealt with.

guy in sf
05-27-2011, 08:29 PM
That reaction in the end was a bit much, should be reserved for semi or final. However it's a good win for him and nice to see him go far in all the tournaments so far. I don't see him with any chance in the next round with how far back he always stands from the baseline. Either Nole or Potro will be all over him if he gets too passive and plays from way behind the baseline.

Certinfy
05-27-2011, 08:34 PM
My other man is currently at a set all against Djokovic, so whatever!

tennishero
05-27-2011, 08:35 PM
gascoke on court today

Gagsquet
05-27-2011, 08:36 PM
You are a legend Richard. A fucking legend. Bellucci has no soul: just a robot.. Glad you crushed him!

Sonja1989
05-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Bellucci have problem with his sole, but it was in second part of the fourth set, didn't influence the match I guess. He had medical time out and everybody could see his problem who watched the match.
Get well soon Thomaz! :hug:

Ilovetheblues_86
05-27-2011, 08:44 PM
You are a legend Richard. A fucking legend. Bellucci has no soul: just a robot.. Glad you crushed him!

At least robots dont need to get high on drugs :D

Cloudygirl
05-27-2011, 09:04 PM

:mad::mad::mad:

don't make me mad with you Jase :)

I hope he ends up playing Potro. Juan deserves to be in good form again

AnnaK_4ever
05-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Gasquet's forehand, the way he managed to flatten it out on so many occasions, left me in a nice shock today. The cringe-inducing loopy shots he produces off this wing have long become as much of a Richie's trademark as his chokes so, naturally, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him actually going DTL here and there. The net play was sublime as usual though Bellucci certainly assisted him with some of the most clueless passing shot selection out there.

Bellucci, as I've stated before, has got a fine technique and is not a bad athlete either but he's so severly underpowered it's actually sad.

Corey Feldman
05-27-2011, 09:09 PM
well played Ricardo :yeah:

SerialKillerToBe
05-27-2011, 09:19 PM
French officials are so biased towards Richie that they scheduled tomorrow's DelPo match as the 3rd match...

XD, unbelievable

GugaF1
05-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Gasquet's forehand, the way he managed to flatten it out on so many occasions, left me in a nice shock today. The cringe-inducing loopy shots he produces off this wing have long become as much of a Richy's trademark as his chokes so, naturally, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him actually going DTL here and there. The net play was sublime as usual though Bellucci certainly assisted him with some of the most clueless passing shot selection out there.

Bellucci, as I've stated before, has got a fine technique and is not a bad athlete either but he's so severly underpowered it's actually sad.

Bellucci underpowered? I think is the oppositte dear, he relies on his power to much, where at times some touch and variety is needed. Bellucci has a lot of weapons, I think if he implements some better variations and continue to work on his net game to follow his well placed serve, like he did a few times on this match, he can only get better specially on the hard courts.

AnnaK_4ever
05-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Bellucci underpowered? I think is the oppositte dear, he relies on his power to much.

I don't see it this way. He relies on excellent timing which somewhat compensates for the lack of raw power but it's still not enough for hitting through a lot of opponents. In a way I'd compare Thomaz to Davydenko, actually.

Gagsquet
05-27-2011, 09:42 PM
TRUE Bellucci has a powerful game!
But no brain: no touch, no strategy : awful.

philosophicalarf
05-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Bellucci doesn't really understand the patterns of a match - if he can't hit through an opponent he's screwed.

GugaF1
05-27-2011, 10:07 PM
No, I think he has a good pattern of play on clay against most players. He has a lot of weapons his serve and forehand and overall power, he can move the opponent very well and he does have some good angle and this works well against a lot of players. But to breaktrough those top 15 wins more often he will need to develope better varities, a good pattern of powerful game can only take you so far.

nole_no1
05-27-2011, 10:10 PM
He played well but wtf he celebrated like he won the title :confused:

GugaF1
05-27-2011, 10:12 PM
TRUE Bellucci has a powerful game!
But no brain: no touch, no strategy : awful.

So what, I very much like Gasquet, but he is limited in another way. He has a lot of touch and variety but no weapons like Bellucci, so touche.

That touch and variety is all very well, but having to stand 5 feet behind the baseline junk balling and counter punching so much, is not very good also. Bellucci needs a little bit more of Gasquet to be more succesful and vice versa.

yuri27
05-27-2011, 10:19 PM
So what, I very much like Gasquet, but he is limited in another way. He has a lot of touch and variety but no weapons like Bellucci, so touche.

That touch and variety is all very well, but having to stand 5 feet behind the baseline junk balling and counter punching so much, is not very good also. Bellucci needs a little bit more of Gasquet to be more succesful and vice versa.

Yeah his BH is clearly not a weapon....:rolleyes:

sexybeast
05-27-2011, 10:21 PM
I think Gasquet's backhand is good. Anyone else thinks the same?

Cloudygirl
05-27-2011, 10:21 PM
He played well but wtf he celebrated like he won the title :confused:

I think anyone who is an actual fan of Richard understood why.

Gagsquet
05-27-2011, 10:23 PM

You are right. But I wouldn't take a lot from Bellucci's game for Richie anyway.

GugaF1
05-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Yeah his BH is clearly not a weapon....:rolleyes:

It is a weapon but is very hard to command a point and to have an agressive pattern of play only with one weapon. And as much as his backhand is nice, most would agree, that is better to have an outstanding FH and than a BH, as a FH is a naturally stronger shot for everyone.

Ilovetheblues_86
05-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Bellucci Forehand > Gasquet Forehand
Bellucci Backhand < Gasquet Forehan
Serve (usually) Bellucci = or > Gasquet
Serve today: Bellucci < Gasquet
Dropshots Bellucci = Gasquet
Fitness Bellucci > Gasquet
Defensive Game Bellucci << Gasquet
Tactics on Court Belluci < Gasquet
Top Spin Bellucci > Gasquet
Technique (touch, slice, variety) Bellucci < Gasquet

Overall Bellucci < Gasquet

GugaF1
05-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Bellucci Forehand > Gasquet Forehand
Bellucci Backhand < Gasquet Forehan
Serve (usually) Bellucci = or > Gasquet
Serve today: Bellucci < Gasquet
Dropshots Bellucci = Gasquet
Fitness Bellucci > Gasquet
Defensive Game Bellucci << Gasquet
Tactics on Court Belluci < Gasquet
Top Spin Bellucci > Gasquet
Technique (touch, slice, variety) Bellucci < Gasquet

Overall Bellucci < Gasquet

I think Gasquet is overall a superior player than Bellucci. But Gasquet has already reach most of his potential and peaked, Bellucci hasn't peaked yet, so it's hard to say definately at this point. Even though I tend to agree that the frenchy's career will problably be better overall, if he stays at this level.

Gagsquet
05-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Correction
Dropshot: Gasquet>>Bellucci
Top spin: Gasquet=Bellucci

Overall: Gasquet>>Bellucci

philosophicalarf
05-27-2011, 10:50 PM
No, I think he has a good pattern of play on clay against most players.

Oh sure - but but that's a default pattern of play. What does he do when the opponent copes with it? Overhits and makes lots of errors.

You could see today he often was caught out by someone with much greater understanding of the rhythms and flows of a match, and was thus wrongfooted or caught out of position. Check the very final point as an example, they're trading blows, Gasquet suddenly bangs a big flat forehand and catches him by surprise - it was well within Bellucci's athletic reach, and as a lefty on clay the pace shouldn't have caused him much problems.

gulzhan
05-27-2011, 10:53 PM
I saw this match from the beginning till the end (from VIP box :p) and I loved Richard's spirit! Bellucci was playing great, he was really on fire in 3d and beginning of the 4th set, he did minimum UEs and Richard could have easily lost this match in 5. Well, he didn't. Because he decided not to. It's rare and that's exactly what makes a good player a top player. I hope Richard pumps his fists and celebrates his victories as long as it's needed for him to be back to top 10.

GugaF1
05-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Oh sure - but but that's a default pattern of play. What does he do when the opponent copes with it? Overhits and makes lots of errors.

You could see today he often was caught out by someone with much greater understanding of the rhythms and flows of a match, and surprised by being wrongfooted or caught out of position.

Yeah, but much is due to experience also let's not forget. Gasquet has been peaking since he was a teen already, playing top 10 level. Bellucci is more gradual and maturing later. I have little doubts he will be better in a couple of years and incorporate better patterns and variety.

PoorMan'sDavy
05-27-2011, 11:17 PM
There is little doubt that having a forehand as a weapon is usually better than a backhand as a weapon. It's easier for a righthander to keep the ball away from another righty's BH.

Which makes Richie's game, when the backhand is working, all the more interesting.

Puschkin
05-27-2011, 11:20 PM
I hope Richard pumps his fists and celebrates his victories as long as it's needed for him to be back to top 10.
and beyond. :p

jcempire
05-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Great win

Seen Sheen
05-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Disappointing stuff from Bellucci, proved to be a one tournament wonder. Really thought he would go deep taking into account his performance in Madrid.

RonaldGomez
05-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Well done Richie, good to see this forehand improving week after week !

Gagsquet
05-27-2011, 11:38 PM
He has not a fucking chance to win the next one but Robert also hadn't a single chance.

LawrenceOfTennis
05-27-2011, 11:41 PM
Before the tournament I would not put my money on Gasquet reaching R4....this guy is like roller coaster. You never know his next step. He has the ability to make it big, maybe not at slam level, but he should have won more titles by now.

viruzzz
05-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Blah blah blah, say whatever you want.
Gasquet is playing really well...

yuri27
05-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Before the tournament I would not put my money on Gasquet reaching R4....this guy is like roller coaster. You never know his next step. He has the ability to make it big, maybe not at slam level, but he should have won more titles by now.

Perhaps not more titles but he should have definitely won something better than an ATP 250.

cobalt60
05-28-2011, 12:31 AM
Oh Thomaz; but :hatoff: to Gasquet.

LleytonMonfils
05-28-2011, 12:33 AM
If Gasquet can hit forehands consistently like the one he ripped on match point, he's going to do some great things here shortly. Jesus christ!

yuri27
05-28-2011, 12:40 AM
If Gasquet can hit forehands consistently like the one he ripped on match point, he's going to do some great things here shortly. Jesus christ!

His FH is getting better(even though there are still too many short balls coming from that side) but his fitness is still more than suspect.
You just had the feeling he was already exhausted in the fourth set and nevertheless,it's not like he played many long matches before that one.

MayerFan
05-28-2011, 01:08 AM
Gasquet was dominating this match completely and just got a bit complacent by the third set. As soon as he managed to get his focus back, Bellucci couldn't do anything about the match anymore.

luv_Nadals_balls
05-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Disgusting performance from Bellucci. He let his balls get sloppy yet AGAIN! He did the same sh*t when he was leading Djokovic. If he keeps doing this, all he will ever be is a baby daddy dream. He is not going to win many fangirls if he keeps losing to journeymen that he has the talent to beat.

oranges
05-28-2011, 02:08 AM

:haha: Could you be any more pathetic

Ouragan
05-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Did not expect this. When did Gas buy balls?

EternalxJourney
05-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Very happy for Richie. Good luck next round!

MariaV
05-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Great from Richie, absolutely great! :worship: :bowdown:
Allez vs Djokovic now! :rocker: :bounce: :bigclap:

KarlyM
05-29-2011, 01:26 AM
:haha: @ thread title.

It's good to see Richie make R4 here. :yeah: