Whose style is more durable? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Whose style is more durable?

SheepleBuster
05-26-2011, 12:22 AM
We all know that Federer has the easiest style of play. He has rarely been injured and been in so many semis and finals in slams. But he is almost 30. Now, whose style in the next generation of top players do you find the most durable?

Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro?

None of these guys actually play as easily as Roger. Rafa has had his injures. Del po too. Murray and Djokovic's styles of play are not exactly easy on their body.

Thoughts?

r2473
05-26-2011, 12:35 AM
A year ago I would have said Djokovic (6-3; 3-6; 0-3 ret. is not that taxing).

I'd say Isner. Serve and loaf isn't so hard.

yesh222
05-26-2011, 12:36 AM
I would think that Murray's is the easiest. It's a lot of running but not as physically taxing as Rafa or Djoker.

SheepleBuster
05-26-2011, 12:37 AM
A year ago I would have said Djokovic (6-3; 3-6; 0-3 ret. is not that taxing).

I'd say Isner. Serve and loaf isn't so hard.

Yes. But Isner is not a top 5 player :) I meant top 5 players. Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, Del Po (he was there before injury). I am not sure who else I can put on this list as these guys are in another class.

stewietennis
05-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Probably Murray because losing in the early rounds of tournaments gives you a lot of rest.

Jaz
05-26-2011, 12:42 AM
Murray and delpo

r3d_d3v1l_
05-26-2011, 12:49 AM
Del Potro is a big guy so he should be out of the list.

SheepleBuster
05-26-2011, 12:53 AM
Del Potro is a big guy so he should be out of the list.

So? Nadal is shorter and has been injured more than Del Potro.

janko05
05-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Probably Murray because losing in the early rounds of tournaments gives you a lot of rest.

:haha::haha:
Nice one

r2473
05-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Lopez:

http://boxofrecollections.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/feliciano_lopez_.jpg

Pipsy
05-26-2011, 01:11 AM
Nadal, Djokovic and Murray are unfortunately likely to have injuries due to the the stress they put on their joints in chasing down and hitting balls in all positions. I personally see Soderling's style as a little easier on the body, but then again, he might not be around the top for long for other reasons...

barahmasa
05-26-2011, 01:13 AM
We all know that Federer has the easiest style of play. He has rarely been injured and been in so many semis and finals in slams. But he is almost 30. Now, whose style in the next generation of top players do you find the most durable?

None of these guys actually play as easily as Roger. Rafa has had his injures. Del po too. Murray and Djokovic's styles of play are not exactly easy on their body.

Thoughts?

Ugh, tough one, Del Potro will probably last the shortest - the guy is always injured. Rafa could also gas out very soon, but he's a freak of nature so you're never sure with him, and he plays much more aggresively last few years and has shorten the points in his matches so he'll probably last longer than most of MTF posters think. Muzza and Nole will probably last more than the first two...

Then again you can never tell without a crystal ball :shrug:

hipolymer
05-26-2011, 01:19 AM
Lopez:

http://boxofrecollections.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/feliciano_lopez_.jpg

:haha: Looks like something out of those spanish soap operas.

And I would say Murray.

Topspindoctor
05-26-2011, 01:35 AM
None of those guys have Olderer's serve, so it will be harder for them to BS their way through matches.

hipolymer
05-26-2011, 01:40 AM
I wouldn't say serve is the deciding factor in how long a player could last, although it certainly helps.

Just take Agassi for example.

Topspindoctor
05-26-2011, 01:43 AM
I wouldn't say serve is the deciding factor in how long a player could last, although it certainly helps.

Just take Agassi for example.

Agassi is an anomaly. He pissed away several of his best years, so his body did not have the same milage.

barahmasa
05-26-2011, 02:49 AM
None of those guys have Olderer's serve, so it will be harder for them to BS their way through matches.

BS their way?

If you ever played tennis you'll know the serve is the toughest shot to master, especially if you're not that tall
And nadal has a potential to become a very good server, he is already winning way more free points on his serve than he used to in his pusher years, upped the speed of his serves by quite a bit...

Ibracadabra
05-26-2011, 02:51 AM
Probably andy murray. Peaking for zero tournaments a year isn't too stressful

Elbarto
05-26-2011, 03:14 AM
Now, whose style in the next generation of top players do you find the most durable?

1) Murray
2) Djokovic
3) Del Potro
4) Nadal

Alex999
05-26-2011, 04:21 AM
Djokovic hasn't had any serious injuries in his career. Murray had some wrist problems, DP (unfortunately I won't even go there), Nadal and his knees ... I hope they all stay healthy, but based on their history I'd say Nole is the least likely to have any serious injuries (although, it scares me to death when I see him sliding on H.C).

Okram04
05-26-2011, 05:05 AM
For normal person, I think Novak's style is most demanding to the body, but he is extremely flexible and athletic and seems to cope with it well.
Nadal's style is also very demanding. His knees are suffering because of his low center of gravity.
Del Potro is just too fragile for any style except Fed-like. He is almost 2 meters tall with only 82kg holding it all together...
Andy's style is probably easiest on the body, and he looks very tough. I think he'll have a long career if he stays somewhat sane :)

syc23
05-26-2011, 10:11 AM
For normal person, I think Novak's style is most demanding to the body, but he is extremely flexible and athletic and seems to cope with it well.
Nadal's style is also very demanding. His knees are suffering because of his low center of gravity.
Del Potro is just too fragile for any style except Fed-like. He is almost 2 meters tall with only 82kg holding it all together...
Andy's style is probably easiest on the body, and he looks very tough. I think he'll have a long career if he stays somewhat sane :)

Yep. When Fed retires, he needs to donate his tennis brain to Murray and the transformation will be complete. From total headcase to new ClutchGoat :angel: Murray has the physical tools but the bit between the ears is what's holding him back.

sexybeast
05-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Neither of the 4 are durable, maybe Murray is the most but such a big guy playing defense all the time cant be good for the body.