1 Morgan, George GBR
2 Baker, Jamie GBR
3 Smethurst, Daniel GBR
4 Golding, Oliver GBR
5 Milton, Joshua GBR
6 Broady, Liam GBR
7 Bogdanovic, Alex GBR
8 Ward, Alexander GBR
9 Fucsovics, Marton HUN (2010 Boys' Champion)

Chase Visa
05-14-2011, 01:06 AM
Who do you think will get them?

I think Harrison, Kusnetsov and Tomic have good chances of getting one. There'll be a random Pommy player too.

Out of last years wildcards, Gabashivili and Nishikori are already in the main draw, and Keifer retired.

Filo V.
05-14-2011, 02:06 AM
Dan Evans should get one this season, he's had a pretty nice year. Daniel Cox I'm guessing will also get one, he's had a decent year. No other GB player should get one. Chris Eaton and Josh Milton haven't been bad this year, but they aren't great players. I don't know if GB has any young talents outside of Cox and Evans that would be deserving.

As for other WC's, I'm guessing Tomic, Harrison will get one. Kuznetsov I'd say is 50-50. A surprise run from a lower ranked player in RG may get them a Wimbledon WC. A guy like Bhambri who has had a good year in futures could get one. I wouldn't be surprised to see Clement (if he doesn't retire at RG) get one since he's had good Wimbledon's. Or, they could just eliminate WC's and go with highest ranking available.

Chase Visa
05-14-2011, 06:52 AM
Ward an outside chance for a Pom getting a WC too.

Yeah there's ALWAYS someone who gets a WC because they had a good run in RG, although I dunno who's good enough to get one.

Pretty sure Clement is retiring after RG, although I don't really know.

Shabba
05-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Don't they have a 250 rule for British players?
How does it work? Do they have to be ranked in the top 250 in order to get a WC or to be considered for one?

Filo V.
05-14-2011, 03:19 PM
That's true, they do have a rule like that, I forgot. In that case I don't think GB has any player who qualifies, but Evans is near that mark, and they'll probably waive the rule to allow him a WC.

Andre♥
05-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Maybe Conor Niland? With so few British players with chances to get a WC, maybe they'll give one WC to a Irish player, who is in the Top 200.

Filo V.
05-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Conor has had a horrible season, though. He also lacks grass pedigree. So I don't think he would get one even though it's a good idea.

Hellraiser
05-14-2011, 11:43 PM
Wards, Bloomfield, Bogdanović

one of them should receive a WC.

Chase Visa
05-15-2011, 12:58 AM
Pretty sure James Ward is in the top 250.

Filo V.
05-15-2011, 01:52 AM
He is, but he doesn't deserve a WC and I think he'll get passed over.

Shabba
05-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Eastbourne 2010
Ward - Quarterfinals.
How can you not give him WC?
He has better quality points than the others.

misty1
05-15-2011, 07:09 PM
james ward and daniel evans will probably get the wiuld cards..they are the only 2 british players that i think would be looked at

james is inside that 250 liuke they want..ofcourse he also has points to defend and he could fall out of that area before wimbledon so we'll see

evans is close to that 250 and has time to get himself within that ranking area before wimbledon and if he can i think he'll get one

as for the others?...
kuznetsov might get one, being a recent junior champion and almost beating hanescu last year plus he's starting to play well again

others..harrison maybe?

tomic will probably get one too

Andre♥
05-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Bloomfield has barely played in the last few months, however considering he reached a semi final on an ATP tournament played on grass last season, he may still get a WC. Yes, it was in Newport, but he defeated a Top 100 player at least there! :lol:

Another candidate is Daniel Brands, considering he reached 4th round last year.

misty1
05-15-2011, 08:56 PM
brands is in no way a candidate he sucks and he's been proving ever since that last yar was a fluke

Filo V.
05-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Ward has been very poor for about 6 months and I don't think he's getting a WC unless they just decide to give one to a GB player regardless of form. He doesn't deserve a WC. Brands also will not get a WC, he brings nothing to the event, and he's not in form.

BrunoBeidacki
05-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Golding should win a WC, at least for Qualy Draw.

Sonja1989
05-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Fucsivics should get one. Junior Champions for previous year get one every year.

willoughby
05-16-2011, 12:49 AM
Another candidate is Daniel Brands, considering he reached 4th round last year.

this is ironic, right?

Brands :haha: he sucks, as everybody knows.

Sombrerero loco
05-16-2011, 09:57 AM
WC for the qualies:
ben mitchell(junior RU last year) and i´d say joshua milton, both for sure...

misty1
05-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Ward has been very poor for about 6 months and I don't think he's getting a WC unless they just decide to give one to a GB player regardless of form. He doesn't deserve a WC. Brands also will not get a WC, he brings nothing to the event, and he's not in form.

i agree that thats probably the only reason they'd consider ward..because he is within the top 250 and he is a british player

Champion number 1
05-17-2011, 12:01 PM
I know it was on clay but Daniel Evans lost in Cremona to Menga, 34 year old without any ranking points lol.

The junior winner from the previous year normally gets a Wild Card.

Sombrerero loco
05-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Golding should win a WC, at least for Qualy Draw.

yeaahh please give oliver a QWC :worship:

dinkulpus
05-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Márton Fucsovics should receive wild card as junior champion :wavey:

nole_no1
05-19-2011, 12:09 PM
I know it was on clay but Daniel Evans lost in Cremona to Menga, 34 year old without any ranking points lol.

The junior winner from the previous year normally gets a Wild Card.

Cremona is on hardcourt

Sombrerero loco
05-19-2011, 05:23 PM
do you think liam broady will be given a qwc?

Chase Visa
05-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Predictions for WC's...

* Márton Fucsovics
* Ryan Harrison
* Bernard Tomic
* James Blake (although he may automatically qualify)
* Aundrey Kuznetsov
* Arnold (sp?) Clement (unless he quits after RG)
* 2 Pommies, out of Bloomfield, Ward and Evans.

Dunno who else would come into consideration. Danvenic an outside chance, I guess.

Sombrerero loco
05-22-2011, 07:21 PM
please dont give a wc to tomic or harrison T_T wanna see them in the qualies!

Andre♥
05-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Taking in account Gabashvili's WC last year, after reaching 4th round in RG, the winner of Falla vs Kubot tomorrow should have a WC for Wimbledon in the bag as well.

Sombrerero loco
05-28-2011, 09:29 PM
wcs will be out 7th of june^^

Sonja1989
05-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Taking in account Gabashvili's WC last year, after reaching 4th round in RG, the winner of Falla vs Kubot tomorrow should have a WC for Wimbledon in the bag as well.

You say something. :D Specially because Falla won who almost beaten Federer in last year, he should get one.

TennisOnWood
05-28-2011, 10:25 PM
do you think liam broady will be given a qwc?

He is by far the best player born in 1994. in the world and maybe he can get one for Q's

NyGeL
05-29-2011, 06:01 AM
GB tennis sux. That's the conclution.

CooCooCachoo
05-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Even if British tennis sucks, last year's decision to give Gabashvili a WC was ridiculous and should not be repeated with a WC for either Falla or Kubot (even if I like both).

Sombrerero loco
05-30-2011, 09:45 AM
falla did great last year here and he is doing so good in FO this year.so he deserves the wc(even i dont like him)

penzias
05-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Predictions for WC's...

* Márton Fucsovics
* Ryan Harrison
* Bernard Tomic
* James Blake (although he may automatically qualify)
* Aundrey Kuznetsov
* Arnold (sp?) Clement (unless he quits after RG)
* 2 Pommies, out of Bloomfield, Ward and Evans.

Dunno who else would come into consideration. Danvenic an outside chance, I guess.

Tomic? What has he done to deserve a WC? :confused:

Shabba
05-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Falla has won hardly anything this year.
I know slams are important, but you can't reward someone with a WC because he had 1 good week out of a whole year.

How do they make their decisions anyway?
Do they only look at RG results?
Do they only consider recent results?
If we're talking about 4th round results in a slam, shouldn't Daniel Brands get a WC based on his reaching 4th round at Wimbledon 2010? At least that was on grass.

CooCooCachoo
05-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Falla has won hardly anything this year.
I know slams are important, but you can't reward someone with a WC because he had 1 good week out of a whole year.

How do they make their decisions anyway?
Do they only look at RG results?
Do they only consider recent results?
If we're talking about 4th round results in a slam, shouldn't Daniel Brands get a WC based on his reaching 4th round at Wimbledon 2010? At least that was on grass.

They look specifically at that year's Roland Garros, presumably because a) that player is in form so unlikely to have a poor showing a couple of weeks later and b) because that player will have grabbed people's attention, so they might be a popular choice. I really doubt they will care whether someone reached the fourth round at the US Open last year, for example.

They obviously do take previous editions of Wimbledon - and a player's pedigree on grass - into consideration, so in that light Brands is not without a shot, but I would be extremely shocked if he was awarded a WC. The organisers will pick Falla over him.

Shabba
05-30-2011, 07:18 PM
They look specifically at that year's Roland Garros, presumably because a) that player is in form so unlikely to have a poor showing a couple of weeks later and b) because that player will have grabbed people's attention, so they might be a popular choice.

I would understand their decision if we were talking about a Milos Raonic who is young, talented etc. etc. But, this is a 27 yr old has-been (or should I say, never-was).

Why should Wimbledon get fired up about guys like these who are spending the better part of their career outside of the top 80?
Look at Gabashvilli. What will his ranking be after RG? Near 130, after losing in the 1st round.

misty1
05-30-2011, 10:26 PM
but then by that tokren why should they even consider brands? he had one good run last year there but he has done literally nothing since, infact struggled to win matches and is well out of the top 100 now and, he will probably never get back in.

i agree with these picks mostly:

* Márton Fucsovics - because he is the defending junior champion so he's actually probably a lock
* Ryan Harrison - he's the best choice for an american to get one but he also might decline it since he prefers to play the qualies
* Bernard Tomic - unless another australian can do something on grass before wimbledon this is probably going to happen. Although even if bernard loses in the first round at nottingham and say carsten ball goes deep he'll still probably get it.
* Andrey Kuznetsov

I think evans could lock one up if he has a good run in Nottingham this week, he's close to 250 in the rankings now and if he could get himself inside the top 250 he'd pretty much be assured one i would think

james ward is inside the top 250 and based on that alone they'll probably give him one..aslong as he can keep himself there

Smoke944
05-30-2011, 11:05 PM
I would understand their decision if we were talking about a Milos Raonic who is young, talented etc. etc. But, this is a 27 yr old has-been (or should I say, never-was).

Why should Wimbledon get fired up about guys like these who are spending the better part of their career outside of the top 80?
Look at Gabashvilli. What will his ranking be after RG? Near 130, after losing in the 1st round.

These Canadian tennis fans are becoming something else :lol:

Sombrerero loco
05-31-2011, 08:16 AM
please give a QWC to milton, broady, mitchell and golding! :hearts:

soulage
06-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Maybe winning Nottingham gives Gilles Muller a little chance to get one :confused:

Sombrerero loco
06-07-2011, 09:15 AM
wcs should be out today in 45 minutes!!

Fat Camel
06-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Clement just wrote in his facebook that he got a WC! Amazing :)

Sombrerero loco
06-07-2011, 10:14 AM
wonderful news this wc for clement!

Sombrerero loco
06-07-2011, 11:24 AM
WCs:
clement
falla
cox
evans
ward
3 mote to be confirmed

DanaKz
06-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Wild cards for @wimbledon 2011 awarded to Clement, Cox, Evans, Falla, Ward, 3 TBC, & to Broady, O'Brien, Robson, Watson, Webley-Smith, 3TBC
http://twitter.com/#!/Wimbledon/status/78042357890695168

Duncan
06-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Qualies

Boggo
Baker
Golding
Broady
Milton
Morgan

For the record i think the WC choices for Main Draw are attrocious

Sombrerero loco
06-07-2011, 11:31 AM
i really love the QWCs :hearts:

yesh222
06-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Everyone wants Falla in the draw so they can see what happens if he meets Federer again.

misty1
06-07-2011, 01:01 PM
i would assume that fuscovics will be one of the other 3

Chase Visa
06-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Don't get Falla getting one. I suppose he did make the 4th round at RG, but still.....

Others are OK I guess though.

CooCooCachoo
06-07-2011, 01:14 PM
i really love the QWCs :hearts:

They are pretty obvious choices :shrug:

Sombrerero loco
06-07-2011, 01:14 PM
one of the other 3 will be fucsovics i think
and the other 2...i think it will be between brands, harrison, tomic, kuznetsov...

Sombrerero loco
06-07-2011, 01:15 PM
They are pretty obvious choices :shrug:

well i was not sure liam broady would be given one :worship:

CooCooCachoo
06-07-2011, 01:16 PM
For the record i think the WC choices for Main Draw are attrocious

What would have been better choices?

I think the WC for Falla is debatable, but the others, especially the three Brits, seem quite logical.

Sombrerero loco
06-07-2011, 01:17 PM
wc to falla is well given, last year he almost beat federer and he did great in FO so its okay for me

misty1
06-07-2011, 01:18 PM
and the other 2...i think it will be between brands, harrison, tomic, kuznetsov...

i think harrisson would refuse it anyway, he has twice already

so unfortunately tomic would probably get another one..his millionth

unfortunately i dont think andrey would

Chase Visa
06-07-2011, 01:18 PM

Why would Brands get one, other than making it into the 4th round last year?

CooCooCachoo
06-07-2011, 01:21 PM

It's very well possible that they decide not to award one or more of the remaining spots. They've done so in the past few years, and just let some ALTs get in.

Filo V.
06-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Falla getting one is understandable. Made RG R4, almost beat Roger last year, is capable of winning matches in the MD. It falls in line with their previous history of rewarding guys who have good RG's with Wimbledon WC's.

The other wildcards were pretty obvious picks all in all.

Duncan
06-07-2011, 02:31 PM
What would have been better choices?

I think the WC for Falla is debatable, but the others, especially the three Brits, seem quite logical.

No time for giving a WC for the sake of some sentimental value (Falla, Clement). What was the point in these WC's only to stick them out in court 14 for first 2 matches? :confused:

I thought that you had to have a rank of better than 250 to be given a WC for the brits? Seems like that idea has been thrown out the window and then Cox and Evans are terrible picks. May as well give them to Golding and Morgan who have far more potential and ability than either of those.

That is just my opinion though and i don't expect many people to agree with it :)

Sonja1989
06-07-2011, 02:58 PM
i would assume that fuscovics will be one of the other 3

I really hope, guys. :D

Holmzy
06-07-2011, 03:39 PM
I think maybe bloomfield or eaton should get 1 of the remaining 3 WCs or both get QWCs

misty1
06-07-2011, 05:06 PM
thay have to give martin one into either qualifying or the main draw..i mean he's the defending jr. champion

ImmzB
06-07-2011, 05:10 PM
I hope Eaton and Bloomfield get main draw WC or atleast QWC.

CooCooCachoo
06-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Eaton? For real? He's not deserving of a MD WC at all. I know his game suits grass, but I can't see him getting one for the MD. He should be given a QWC so that he can try and repeat his 2008 run, via qualies, into the 2R though.

Lurking
06-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Fusovics has done practically nothing on tour to deserve the chance, so they might make an exception and only give him a QWC.

Filo V.
06-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Golding is a guy who I can see getting a WC, but do the other Brits deserve it? Bloomfield, Eaton, Bogdanovic, will not be getting one, probably ever again. I think they may just eliminate the rest of the WCs and go with the next alternates.

aleunforcederror
06-09-2011, 02:07 PM
falla wc, great! he deserves, great match against federer the last year and amazing roland garros, I think that is the reason. I remember that last year gabashvili took a wild car after good roland garros

Chase Visa
06-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Going on last year's logic....

* one Pommy player got in (Baker). This year, we have 3 (Cox, Evans, Ward).
* one player who was once good got in (Kiefer). Clement sort of covers this, although he never did a lot in his career outside of the Aussie Open 2001.
* one young gun who was injured got in (Nishikori). No young guns this year have got WC's yet, though I feel Tomic, Harrison and Kunzetsov have good cases for a WC.
* one player who had a good run at RG got in (Gabashivili). This year, Falla made the 4th round after qualifying (like Gaba), and obviously got the WC. Can sorta see Kubot getting one too.
* the Boys champion of the year before (Kunzetsov). Dunno whether Fucsovics deserves one tbh due to how low his ranking is, but there's a significant argument for him getting one.

Might there be anything else? The year before last they went 4 Pommy players (Ward, Evans, Boggers, Goodall), one player with significant grass court pedigree (Mahut), one former star (Ferrero), and the Boys champion of 2008 (Dimitrov). Who has significant grass court pedigree who isn't in the top 100 though?

2008 they went with a grass Challenger winner (Dancevic), a good run at RG (Chardy), a former 'star' (Malisse), 2 Poms (Baker, Boggers), 1 random choice (Kunistyn) and the next 2 alternates (Ascione, Spadea). Last year's Junior winner, Young, was already in the MD iirc.

2007 they went with 5 Poms (Baker, Goodall, Boggers, Bloomfield, Marray), 2006's Junior winner (de Bakker), the winner of a grass Challenger winner and a good run at Queens (Tsonga), and someone else who made a good run at Queens (Cilic).

Luinir
06-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Ilhan admitted for main draw WC, waiting the decision.

Sombrerero loco
06-10-2011, 05:07 PM
when are the other MDWCs out?

misty1
06-10-2011, 05:18 PM
he wont get it

Chase Visa
06-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Ilhan admitted for main draw WC, waiting the decision.

Why? What exactly has he done to deserve one?

Chase Visa
06-11-2011, 01:31 AM
So, expect someone out of....

* Harrison
* Tomic
* Fuscovics
* Brands
* Muller
* Kubot
* Kuznetsov
* Dancevic
* maybe someone unexpected?

to get one.

misty1
06-11-2011, 04:02 AM
* Harrison - would probably refuse, he likes to play qaulies
* Tomic
* Fuscovics - has done literally nothing
* Brands - fluked a run last year, done nothing since
* Muller
* Kubot - why?
* Kuznetsov
* Dancevic - hasnt done anything to deserve it and hasnt even played on grass this season

Smoke944
06-11-2011, 04:06 AM
Fucsovics should be a lock despite how poorly he is playing.

Chase Visa
06-11-2011, 06:14 AM
They generally give the Junior winner a WC, so even though Fuscovics hasn't done anything, he's still a chance.

They gave Falla one, so Brands is still a chance given he had a deep run last year.

Kubot did decent at RG and has a good doubles record, so he has a chance I feel.

Dancevic has some grass pedigree, so they might give him one despite not really doing anything.

JMG
06-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Obviously Brown would be a good wc. He's one of the next alternates.

CooCooCachoo
06-11-2011, 11:37 AM
It is not like the organisers are spoilt for choice. I'd be quite surprised if they used up all the WCs.

soulage
06-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Any players has announced he get one ? if they not awarded the last 3 we have Pospisil, Andreev and Bolleli in the MD that's it or not ? I hope they don't wait last minutes before the draw to say who get this 3 WC it would be cruel :devil:

GoMullerGo
06-12-2011, 01:11 AM
THANK GOD they gave Muller a WC. Luxembourgish media announced that a few hours ago.

misty1
06-12-2011, 01:41 AM
what are you sure? if thats the case thats great and a well deserving wild card

and marius gets in qualies too

misty1
06-12-2011, 01:45 AM
apparently gilles muller got a wild card in to the main draw

GoMullerGo
06-12-2011, 01:54 AM
well its all over local media...

misty1
06-12-2011, 02:00 AM
well im happy then

Filo V.
06-12-2011, 06:17 AM
Educated decision on Muller. Another guy with grass pedigree who can win MD matches. Now we'll see if they go young for the final two WC's. I think it will be Tomic and the second is up in the air.

CooCooCachoo
06-12-2011, 10:26 AM
RTL.lu article on the WC:

http://sport.rtl.lu/news/aktualiteit/111081.html

appleGirl
06-12-2011, 11:57 AM
@NeilHarmanTimes
WCs for Wimbledon - Men: Dudi Sela, Gille Muller +1 direct; Women@ Eleni Daniilidou, Sabine Lisicki + 1 direct

https://twitter.com/#!/NeilHarmanTimes/status/79861075499159552

CooCooCachoo
06-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Sela :tape: Yes, a good player on grass, but WTF?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/bernard-tomic-and-casey-dellacqua-yet-to-receive-wimbledon-wildcards/story-e6frfgao-1226073969963

appleGirl
06-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Apparently, the organizers were debating between Sela and Tomic, but after Sela beat Tomic in the SF of Nottingham CH (and went on to win the tournament), they picked him.

Chase Visa
06-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Sela and Muller actually deserve one given they won grass Challengers.

Slightly disappointed Tomic didn't get one, but it'll serve him good by going through qualifying.

misty1
06-12-2011, 12:57 PM
:bounce:about gilles and sabine getting wild cards

Chris.
06-12-2011, 03:31 PM
WTF Sela? Angry Tomic didnt get one. But really hope going through quallies will do him good.

156mphserve
06-12-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm rather dissapointed in Wimbledon, I thought last years junior winner always got one regardless:rolleyes:

I'm not even a Fucovics(or however you spell it) fan, I just think he earned one

misty1
06-12-2011, 05:05 PM
is getting a qualifying wild card completely out of the question? is everything done now?

because i agree i think he should at least get one for that

Smoke944
06-12-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm rather dissapointed in Wimbledon, I thought last years junior winner always got one regardless:rolleyes:

I'm not even a Fucovics(or however you spell it) fan, I just think he earned one

Agreed, well I guess they just decided against what they have been doing for years and years :lol:

Sombrerero loco
06-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Finally fucsovic was given a wc!! Do we know at what time will be out the oop for tomorrow?

JMG
06-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Koubek was also asking for a (q) WC. :lol:

Scotso
06-13-2011, 01:27 AM
I feel like Kubot should have received one.

Dudi :yeah:

aleunforcederror
06-14-2011, 02:48 PM
sela??? my god why why!! what a waste. why the seven wc it's not awarded?

Andre♥
06-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Why is Sela a waste? He has won his last 15 matches, he is currently ranked 81, he has just won a challenger on grass, with just one set dropped. Who would deserve more a WC than him?

veganlunch
06-15-2011, 07:16 PM
I cannot find out anywhere who received the final wild card. Does anyone know who got it?

appleGirl
06-15-2011, 07:56 PM
No one, it was a direct acceptance for the next highest ranked player on the list...

smucav
06-16-2011, 03:30 AM
http://blogs.tennis.com/tennisworld/2011/06/tk-2.htmlBefore the seedings were announced, I had resolved to take a look at the list of wild cards awarded by the AEC, semi-itching to take a few shots at the choices. I confess to having a bone to pick when it comes to the wild-card culture, in which any number of dead-enders and no-hopers are rewarded simply because they hail from the nation or region where a given tournament is being played, or because said player's business representatives have found a way to wheedle a wild card for him or her. Grand Slam tournaments award eight wild cards, which takes eight places out of avdraw that's designed to accommodate players based on merit.

Given that you also have 16 qualifiers at a major tournament, the cutoff for direct entry is a ranking of No. 104 (assuming everyone with a lower numerical ranking wants to play). I can see where a pro who's worked awfully hard and nudged his ranking up to No. 106, or No. 108, might feel pretty bitter when he sees one of those eight wild-cards go to a 17-year old ranked No. 343, or a sentimental favorite.

Wimbledon has been as guilty as anyone of handing out free lunches to the undeserving over the years, but it's mainly because the British players have been such hopeless cases. It may seem like the wild card awarded to Emily Webley-Smith is a futile gesture, given that she's 27 and barely inside the Top 300. But then she's had busted up ankles, survived a bout of dengue fever, and cut her ranking almost in half since the last year-end stats were issued. Four other WTA wild cards went to British girls: Naomie Broady, Katie O'Brien, Laura Robson and Heather Watson. Sabine Lisicki and Eleni Daniilidou were the only non-British wild cards on the women's side, and the AEC didn't even bother to award the eighth wild card—the spot will go to the next player based on the direct entry rankings. Hooray.

On the men's side, three British players received wild cards—Daniel Cox, Daniel Evans, and James Ward. The latter certainly earned his, making a run to the Queen's Club final last week. But it's still hard to envision Ward stealing the thunder of Andy Murray. The other ATP wild cards went to an eclectic trio: Arnaud Clement, Alejandro Falla, and Dudi Sela. The eighth men's wild card also was unused, making me suspect that the AEC is trying hard to look like it isn't awarding the wild cards to any old player, just because it can. But you still have to wonder—wouldn't it have been more appropriate, based on a paucity of justifiable wild-card requests, to award most of those wild cards to eligible players based on ranking? I mean, we love Dudi Sela and Alejandro Falla, but what exactly is the point?

Once again, it will be interesting to see which, if any, wild card entries survive the first round. I can see Lisicki winning multiple rounds, so my money is on her. But even that wouldn't change my feeling that eight wild cards per singles draw is probably four or five too many.

Smoke944
06-16-2011, 03:42 AM
Bodo :zzz: