Johnny Groove vs. Alexander Pelaez, Plantation Year End Masters [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Johnny Groove vs. Alexander Pelaez, Plantation Year End Masters

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Johnny Groove
05-12-2011, 01:26 AM
So, I have finally stopped wasting my time smoking weed, drinking, and...keeping myself busy ;)

On Monday, May 2, I had my final exam in college in the morning, packed up all my shit, said my final goodbyes, smoked a last fat blunt, and drove down to South Florida.

From Tuesday the 3rd until the present, I have been training 5-6 hours per day. I am training with Mike Dumitru, a Romanian coach who worked with the Romanian Davis Cup team back in the day. He trained with Ilie Nastase, Ion Tiriac, and Andrei Pavel among others.

I've been working mad hard, and my game has completely been reformed. He told me I have made improvements in one week that most other players don't make for 3-5 months. He has also told me that top 100 in the world in 2 years is a very realistic possibility.

I've been working on running lower, bending the knees and exploding into each shot, throwing the ball higher on serve, and jumping very high into the ball.

Sure I have much much work to do, especially on fitness, volleys, overheads, working with targets, etc. etc., but I am very excited about the future :)

Speaking of future, I am planning to play the June 20 Future and June 27 Future, both in Florida. :wavey:

Nathaliia
05-12-2011, 02:06 AM
You shouldn't explode with every shot, you'd run out of sperm very shortly and it will be hard to run with pants full anyway.

finishingmove
05-12-2011, 02:06 AM
get ready to be called a mug then

seriously, you need to drop MTF as well if you want to make it...

Smoke944
05-12-2011, 02:26 AM
Good luck, and no offence but top-100 in the men's open division of Florida would even be a tough goal ;)

GugaF1
05-12-2011, 02:41 AM
Good on you man, is good to have ambitius plans they make us better. Is like that saying goes, aim for the stars and arrive at the moon. But don't forget to have backup plans A, B and C because in tennis there are certain constants and if you haven't being trainning since a kid, haven't played in the juniors or college at a very high level etc. chances are slim. But like I said ambitius goals make you better.

I remeber when I was 17 in the states doing High school and I thought I could too, but in all, I end up being pretty good at tennis played college at lower levels and had a great time overall. Just don't let it be means to an end only. Enjoy the experiences.

Xristos
05-12-2011, 03:45 AM
Good luck bro.

Lee
05-12-2011, 03:59 AM
:banana: Jon :banana:

Focus on your goal and believe in yourself!

:banana: :banana:

Action Jackson
05-12-2011, 04:54 AM
Concentrate on getting your first ATP point then work from there.

Pirata.
05-12-2011, 06:08 AM
Good luck! Looking forward to your first big match and the results thread in GM :lol:

Li Ching Yuen
05-12-2011, 07:02 AM
If you get around the Top100, tell GGL that I hate him.

Thanks.

Goldenoldie
05-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Try to arrange some live scoring, so we can follow your progress.

Good luck.

finishingmove
05-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Try to arrange some live scoring, so we can bet on your matches.

Good luck.

fixed

Har-Tru
05-12-2011, 04:28 PM

This.

Good luck!

Time Violation
05-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Best of luck and spread the spirit of MTF on the ATP :D

Garson007
05-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Make sure to let us know when you fix a match.

Johnny Groove
05-12-2011, 04:41 PM
You shouldn't explode with every shot, you'd run out of sperm very shortly and it will be hard to run with pants full anyway.

:lol:

seriously, you need to drop MTF as well if you want to make it...

Definitely. I am already posting less and less these days.

Good luck, and no offence but top-100 in the men's open division of Florida would even be a tough goal ;)

True, but I'll get there!

Good on you man, is good to have ambitius plans they make us better. Is like that saying goes, aim for the stars and arrive at the moon. But don't forget to have backup plans A, B and C because in tennis there are certain constants and if you haven't being trainning since a kid, haven't played in the juniors or college at a very high level etc. chances are slim. But like I said ambitius goals make you better.

I remeber when I was 17 in the states doing High school and I thought I could too, but in all, I end up being pretty good at tennis played college at lower levels and had a great time overall. Just don't let it be means to an end only. Enjoy the experiences.

Thanks for the information and advice :D

Good luck bro.

You too dude.

:banana: Jon :banana:

Focus on your goal and believe in yourself!

:banana: :banana:

Lee :kiss:

I hope to get a ranking by Julyish, depending on my results in those 2 futures in late June.

Good luck! Looking forward to your first big match and the results thread in GM :lol:

:kiss:

If you get around the Top100, tell GGL that I hate him.

Thanks.

:lol: Will do.

Try to arrange some live scoring, so we can follow your progress.

Good luck.

fixed

:rolls:

This.

Good luck!

Best of luck and spread the spirit of MTF on the ATP :D

Thanks for all the support, MTF :yeah:

Johnny Groove
05-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Make sure to let us know when you fix a match.

Never.

Sofonda Cox
05-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Learn from Xristos' mistakes and make sure the ball goes inside the court as much as poss.

Good luck!

JolánGagó
05-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Good luck! :yeah: You've got ambition and that's the start of anything. Please weekly career updates.

...but his job is telling you so.

rocketassist
05-12-2011, 06:03 PM
All the best champ.

zerocool_
05-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Good luck, and try to update us about your progress.

ExcaliburII
05-12-2011, 07:11 PM
you'll have to beat me first.

I dont want to put you down, but its unreal to make top 100 in 2 years out of nowhere. I'd be surprised if you get 1 atp point in 2011 even if you play every day

GugaF1
05-12-2011, 07:43 PM
What do you need to make a point, win one Future match will do ?

out_here_grindin
05-12-2011, 08:14 PM

Easier said than done. Lot of work to go from a 6-1 6-0 loss to a win. But hard work gets it done. Good luck Jonathan:cool:.

BTW have you played any of the UCF varsity players recently? If you are getting to ATP level you should be beating those guys 6-3 6-2 routinely.

Johnny Groove
05-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Learn from Xristos' mistakes and make sure the ball goes inside the court as much as poss.

Good luck!

Good luck! :yeah: You've got ambition and that's the start of anything. Please weekly career updates.

...but his job is telling you so.

All the best champ.

Good luck, and try to update us about your progress.

you'll have to beat me first.

I dont want to put you down, but its unreal to make top 100 in 2 years out of nowhere. I'd be surprised if you get 1 atp point in 2011 even if you play every day

Easier said than done. Lot of work to go from a 6-1 6-0 loss to a win. But hard work gets it done. Good luck Jonathan:cool:.

Thanks for the support, y'all. :wavey:

In order to get just 1 ATP point, I've got to win 4 qualie matches in a Future against unranked guys including one match with a guy ranked around 1000, and then one match in the main draw just to get a single point. Sure, it is difficult, but why strive for something in life that is easy?

I enjoy the challenge.

Also, Jeff, I am no longer at UCF, and even when I was, I was nowhere near to beating the varsity players. The coach was a punk who never allowed anyone to even try, so it is difficult to gauge.

However, my coach is talking about bringing in some girls, WTA ranked 500 or so for me to train with me in the next week or two.

out_here_grindin
05-12-2011, 08:29 PM
That would be great practice to hit with the WTA players. Because in the scheme of college tennis the UCF players are ok. None are in the NCAA top 125 though.

Is there any one thing your coach is really good at coaching? Like a speciality.

GugaF1
05-12-2011, 08:35 PM
I am curious, give us a sense of what is your tennis background, how old were you when you started what has been your best tennis victories momments. Did you get to play High school tennis, did you play USTA tennis are you a 4.5 5.0 level of tennis etc.

Sapeod
05-12-2011, 10:06 PM
2014 Wimbledon R1: Groove Dude def. Roger Federer 5-7 6-3 4-6 6-4 6-2!

Also, watch out for me, bitch!

2016 Roland Garros R1: Me def. Rafael Nadal 6-0 6-0 7-6 <------ pity set.

Being serious, good luck. I may hate you a lot, but it'll be interesting to have an MTF poster being a huge player! Hopefully X joins you!

Smoke944
05-12-2011, 11:05 PM
had the pleasure of seeing him take apart the classic younes in 4 at home on greenset... and have baggy on the brink at 2 set to 1 up in cyprus on slow/medium hard...

anyone that saw this guy in full flow knew he was, at the very least, top 100 material... i say that genuinely...

but, top 100 form will only arrive with long spells of uninterrupted good health, something that louk was unfortunate enough to find extremely difficult...

his bro kevin was also a solid pro, though, he too found the grind did not agree with his health...

f***ing shit luck all round...

wish him well...

wrong thread fast_clay ;)

vn01
05-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Yay! all the best, Jon! :worship:

fast_clay
05-12-2011, 11:45 PM
wrong thread fast_clay ;)

cheers...

i wondered where the bastard went... :lol:

i had two open at the same time, replied... then went to do some other shit...

fast_clay
05-12-2011, 11:52 PM
and yeah jon man...

best to remove yourself from all bullshit and negativity if you really want something... american futures qualy draws are tough enough as it is, 128 at times, so your condition is tough enough as it stand without shit getting inbetween your ears... surround yourself with some hard working people who are straight enough to not feed you the truth and not what you want to hear...

good luck with the first point...

ExcaliburII
05-13-2011, 12:03 AM
do you have any video of you playing?
I am travelling in 4 hours to Czech Republic to finally play my first match futures level. Maybe I'll see you in Roland Garros final one day

arm
05-13-2011, 01:03 AM
:bounce: Good luck!

GugaF1
05-13-2011, 01:41 AM
I am travelling in 4 hours to Czech Republic to finally play my first match futures level. Maybe I'll see you in Roland Garros final one day

Why go to Czech Republic when there several futures in Brazil, unless of course you are not from Argentina.

Johnny Groove
05-13-2011, 01:54 AM
That would be great practice to hit with the WTA players. Because in the scheme of college tennis the UCF players are ok. None are in the NCAA top 125 though.

Is there any one thing your coach is really good at coaching? Like a speciality.

A specialty? I would imagine it is his experience. He has coached Andrei Pavel to the top 15, and several women into the top 20 WTA. He has had 40 years in the business.

I am curious, give us a sense of what is your tennis background, how old were you when you started what has been your best tennis victories momments. Did you get to play High school tennis, did you play USTA tennis are you a 4.5 5.0 level of tennis etc.

First time I ever watched tennis was 2001 Wimbledon, because I liked to say "Ivanisevic" :p

I followed casually the next few years until about 2004 when I really go into it. I had played baseball and racquetball when I was younger, and picked up tennis at 14. I remember watching Roddick lose to Pim Pim at the 2004 USO. After that I said to myself: "USA needs a new tennis star. Why not me?"

So I trained myself the next few years, hitting on the walls and learning from youtube videos and online articles. I have played thousands of matches, and my best one was a match I won 8-6 in the 5th one time during college :p i played on my high school team and USTA when I was younger, and recently 2 future qualies back in January. Scores? 0-6 1-6 and 0-6 0-6 :p

I am at least a 5.0.

Also, watch out for me, bitch!

2016 Roland Garros R1: Me def. Rafael Nadal 6-0 6-0 7-6 <------ pity set.

Being serious, good luck. I may hate you a lot, but it'll be interesting to have an MTF poster being a huge player! Hopefully X joins you!

If Nadal lasts until 2016 :help:

Thanks mate :wavey:

Yay! all the best, Jon! :worship:

Thanks for the support!

and yeah jon man...

best to remove yourself from all bullshit and negativity if you really want something... american futures qualy draws are tough enough as it is, 128 at times, so your condition is tough enough as it stand without shit getting inbetween your ears... surround yourself with some hard working people who are straight enough to not feed you the truth and not what you want to hear...

good luck with the first point...

Good advice, mate, thanks much :hatoff:

No video yet, the next few weeks perhaps.

:bounce: Good luck!

savesthedizzle
05-13-2011, 01:55 AM
Good luck :hug: Can't wait to hear about your progress :)

MayerFan
05-13-2011, 03:15 AM
How old are you?

ExcaliburII
05-13-2011, 04:12 AM
Why go to Czech Republic when there several futures in Brazil, unless of course you are not from Argentina.
I am living in Germany ;)
How old are you?

ExcaliburII
05-13-2011, 04:14 AM
Just one thing, do you know how many people in the world train daily and have done this for years and still cant be in top 500? Some cant even get an ATP point. Top100 is too much of a goal.

GugaF1
05-13-2011, 04:58 AM
Just one thing, do you know how many people in the world train daily and have done this for years and still cant be in top 500? Some cant even get an ATP point. Top100 is too much of a goal.

And you are in the same boat right, what gives you confidence that you are going to get your ATP point, what is your tennis background? do you expect to make a career out of it ?

Pirata.
05-13-2011, 07:12 AM

Youngsters still needing five sets to beat a 33 year old long past his prime Olderer :lol:

Lopez
05-13-2011, 08:18 AM
I thought Excalibur played golf :scratch:

fabolous
05-13-2011, 10:19 AM
I am living in Germany ;)
do you play german league tennis?

@ jon, good luck but don't be disappointed if you won't reach all your goals.

gulzhan
05-13-2011, 12:00 PM
That's cool, Jonathan! I envy you :o Enjoy the tennis pro time and don't get discouraged. Hold and hold and hold. You'll have result if you keep on working.

Bilbo
05-13-2011, 02:17 PM
If you can fuck 10 different girls a day I'm sure you can also make the top 100

good luck, bro :yeah:

zeleni
05-13-2011, 02:26 PM

This. :lol:

ExcaliburII
05-13-2011, 03:03 PM
And you are in the same boat right, what gives you confidence that you are going to get your ATP point, what is your tennis background? do you expect to make a career out of it ?
I am not going to get any point, further more I am completely out of form and practice. I only started playing 2 weeks ago after a 2 year stop. My tennis background starts when I was born :) I was always surrounded by tennis players since a young kid, play since 4 until 18.
I thought Excalibur played golf :scratch:
Golf is my sport yes. But I can also play tennis, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

:lol: I wish. I am just staying a semester in Germany to study

Bilbo
05-13-2011, 03:40 PM
I am just staying a semester in Germany to study

So how do you like this country compared to Argentina?

Johnny Groove
05-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Good luck :hug: Can't wait to hear about your progress :)

Jess :kiss:

How old are you?

21 :wavey:

I don't really care about what other people do and train. I don't use what other people do to gauge how I will do.

If you have that mindset, you will never reach it. The mind is the most powerful muscle in the body.

My only disappointment would be to never get a chance :p

That's cool, Jonathan! I envy you :o Enjoy the tennis pro time and don't get discouraged. Hold and hold and hold. You'll have result if you keep on working.

Thank you :)

If you can fuck 10 different girls a day I'm sure you can also make the top 100

good luck, bro :yeah:

Well, I haven't done either yet, but goals are always good to have :p

asmazif
05-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Good luck man! :yeah:

I've been playing since I was 8, was county standard until I was 15 or so, but stopped playing for 3 years between 16-19, been wishing I kept it up for a few years now - maybe I would have tried to pursue a similar route :sad:

Anyway, all the best - obviously keep us updated :D :cool:

ExcaliburII
05-13-2011, 08:47 PM
So how do you like this country compared to Argentina?

Is okay, I prefer Argentina though.

barbadosan
05-14-2011, 01:25 AM
Very best of luck Groove. The best thing is that you're getting a decent shot at what you want to do.

MayerFan
05-14-2011, 01:56 AM
I think you're a bit old for that enterprise but I'll be cheering for you. :)

straitup
05-14-2011, 03:38 AM
Good luck dude!

Tough goals but you sound like you have the right mindset to try. Keep us posted on your progress once in a while. And regardless of what happens, I'm sure you'll learn a lot about yourself through the process

.-Federers_Mate-.
05-14-2011, 07:38 AM
Do u spew as much bullshit in real life as you do on this site. I hope not

You have NO chance.

The Magician
05-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Mugathan clowning it up on court :o

:secret:Just practicing for the future;)

Pirata.
05-14-2011, 11:12 AM
When you reach the Top 100, if you need a WAG, I will offer my services :kiss:

KaiserT
05-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Didn't you lose your last futures quali 6-0 6-1?

Johnny Groove
05-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Good luck man! :yeah:

I've been playing since I was 8, was county standard until I was 15 or so, but stopped playing for 3 years between 16-19, been wishing I kept it up for a few years now - maybe I would have tried to pursue a similar route :sad:

Anyway, all the best - obviously keep us updated :D :cool:

Interesting story. I imagine a large % of people can relate to your experience. Thanks for the support!

Very best of luck Groove. The best thing is that you're getting a decent shot at what you want to do.

Thank you :kiss:

I think you're a bit old for that enterprise but I'll be cheering for you. :)

Thanks! Age is only a barrier if you allow it to be a barrier ;)

Good luck dude!

Tough goals but you sound like you have the right mindset to try. Keep us posted on your progress once in a while. And regardless of what happens, I'm sure you'll learn a lot about yourself through the process

Yeah man! :yeah:

Do u spew as much bullshit in real life as you do on this site. I hope not

You have NO chance.

Well, I didn't expect you to say anything different :lol:

Mugathan clowning it up on court :o

:secret:Just practicing for the future;)

When you reach the Top 100, if you need a WAG, I will offer my services :kiss:

I will keep this in mind, darling :kiss:

Didn't you lose your last futures quali 6-0 6-1?

No, that was my first one, my 2nd one I lost 0-6 0-6. :p

Not that it matters. Ancient history.

Luinir
05-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Age isn't everything, though. A normal human can play about 10 years as competitive. Most of the pro players starting their careers when they're 15 or so. When you started it at your 20-21, you can last more longer.

Good luck Jonathan, probably you'll not even take a ranking point but goals are good. :)

ImmzB
05-15-2011, 09:48 PM
All the best! :yeah:

Orka_n
05-15-2011, 11:50 PM
Good luck, mate. :)

Filo V.
05-15-2011, 11:51 PM
Well, one can never say never no matter the chances. So GL and hopefully everything works out for you.

JolánGagó
05-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Just two words: GLUTEN FREE

Johnny Groove
06-10-2011, 05:33 PM
UPDATE

Thanks for the support, y'all :wavey:

I've been in heavy training the last 6 weeks, 5 hours per day.

I'm training these days with Robby Morin, #11 in the state of Florida in the 14's. He is freakin' good. My coach is thinking at least 1 ATP point for me by the end of the year and for Robby to make some noise at the Orange Bowl in December.

Tzar
06-11-2011, 03:17 AM

BTW have you played any of the UCF varsity players recently? If you are getting to ATP level you should be beating those guys 6-3 6-2 routinely.

No, but he has played me. :woohoo:

I hope you make it dood.

GhostUnholy
06-11-2011, 06:51 AM
Pablo's right that it's kind of a longshot and players don't generally come out of nowhere crack the top 100 but who knows maybe you'll be able to do what most others can't. Good luck, I hope you succeed

LawrenceOfTennis
06-11-2011, 08:33 AM
:haha: no way. Super talented youngsters struggling to get into top 100, and you are telling us that is possible for you? Haha in topspin 4 maybe.

barbadosan
06-19-2011, 10:24 AM
:haha: no way. Super talented youngsters struggling to get into top 100, and you are telling us that is possible for you? Haha in topspin 4 maybe.

Fortunately for Johnny, you are neither his coach nor his source of inspiration. Go blow your sulphurous fumes on someone else's dream

Edit: May I also recommend you heed the words of W B Yeats: "Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

HNCS
06-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Don't post much in MTF, but it's great that your pursuing your goal. Most people don't have the courage to what you're doing. You have all my support! Life comes once, so all the best!

out_here_grindin
06-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Did you consider entering the current futures in Florida? What did your coach think of that?

Johnny Groove
06-23-2011, 03:05 AM
No, but he has played me. :woohoo:

I hope you make it dood.

Thanks, mate :yeah:

Pablo's right that it's kind of a longshot and players don't generally come out of nowhere crack the top 100 but who knows maybe you'll be able to do what most others can't. Good luck, I hope you succeed

Thanks dude :yeah:

Poor hater :lol:

Fortunately for Johnny, you are neither his coach nor his source of inspiration. Go blow your sulphurous fumes on someone else's dream

Edit: May I also recommend you heed the words of W B Yeats: "Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

Thanks for the support, love :kiss:

Don't post much in MTF, but it's great that your pursuing your goal. Most people don't have the courage to what you're doing. You have all my support! Life comes once, so all the best!

Thank you :D

Did you consider entering the current futures in Florida? What did your coach think of that?

I did, dude.

My coach says there is alllllot to work on, my entire game needs work. He is suggesting no futures until September at the earliest. Had I played the ones this and next week, I would have been "embarassed" as he put it :lol:

samanosuke
06-23-2011, 09:12 AM
all the best in trying to achieve that . just do not forget on us when you became a star, i want to tell my friends that i have every day chats with one of atp stars

Xristos
06-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Good luck mate, supporting you all the way.

Baghdatis#1
06-25-2011, 06:43 AM
Good Luck! It will be tough to get to the top 100 especially since you only started 7 years ago but if you keep trying and working hard, you never know what will happen!

peribsen
06-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Best of lucks, would be fun to have a MTF reporter tell us how things are seen from within the tour!!

Bossus
06-25-2011, 09:13 PM
why dont you come over to Croatia and play some futures, the level of tennis is laughable here. you can crash at my place, ps i want a percentage of your future winnings :D

ImmzB
06-25-2011, 09:21 PM
Keep doing your thing! :yeah:

barbadosan
06-25-2011, 09:25 PM
why dont you come over to Croatia and play some futures, the level of tennis is laughable here. you can crash at my place, ps i want a percentage of your future winnings :D

:haha: sounds like a viable plan, JGroove

out_here_grindin
06-25-2011, 09:30 PM
yeah if you have the money to travel, other countries futures are worse. Even the future qualies in the US are full of good college players. Try Cambodia or something.

Johnny Groove
06-25-2011, 10:36 PM
all the best in trying to achieve that . just do not forget on us when you became a star, i want to tell my friends that i have every day chats with one of atp stars

Thanks, dude.

Good luck mate, supporting you all the way.

:yeah:

Good Luck! It will be tough to get to the top 100 especially since you only started 7 years ago but if you keep trying and working hard, you never know what will happen!

Best of lucks, would be fun to have a MTF reporter tell us how things are seen from within the tour!!

Keep doing your thing! :yeah:

:haha: sounds like a viable plan, JGroove

yeah if you have the money to travel, other countries futures are worse. Even the future qualies in the US are full of good college players. Try Cambodia or something.

Thanks for all the support, y'all.

As for the traveling to other countries and playing futures, I have definitely considered it, but getting my body, mind, and game up to a level where I can actually do damage in futures is the first thing. Getting a ranking around 1200 by the end of this year at least is my current goal.

I am developing my Marcelo Rios jumping two handed backhand these days :D

samanosuke
06-25-2011, 10:41 PM

Good luck with that masterpiece . But why everybody's saying Rios's jumping backhand, Goran was the first who used it frequently :p

Johnny Groove
06-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Good luck with that masterpiece . But why everybody's saying Rios's jumping backhand, Goran was the first who used it frequently :p

Perhaps so, but Rios took it to the next level :p

Xristos
06-27-2011, 07:48 AM
We should be hitting partners.

X v JG Wimbledon Final 2012.

MariaV
06-27-2011, 07:58 AM

Just don't overdo it! ;)

Anyway, good luck! :wavey:

Johnny Groove
06-27-2011, 04:14 PM
We should be hitting partners.

X v JG Wimbledon Final 2012.

2012? No way. A few more years, mate, let's be realistic.

Just don't overdo it! ;)

Anyway, good luck! :wavey:

:kiss:

Xristos
06-27-2011, 08:22 PM
I was just trying to be positive. Chill..

Johnny Groove
08-27-2011, 12:19 AM
Well, folks, I've got an update.

I've been training nearly 4 full months and my coach is astounded at my level of improvement. My game is getting better by leaps and bounds.

But, as is the case with most tennis players, lack of money is my issue. My family is doing as best we can, but we are simply unable to pay for training. It is not set in stone yet, but I predict about a 66% chance of me having to give up my dream of #1 in the world before the end of the year. I'll have to go back to college, get a degree, maybe grad school, and be a regular schmuck like everyone else.

I sort of feel like Ray Liotta at the end of Goodfellas, living in witness protection.

This is just tough to deal with mentally. It would be one thing if my coach told me: "Johnny, I appreciate your desire, but kid, you really can't go any further than this." I could accept that. But no, he believes fully I can make it in this game.

It is tough now. We'll see what happens. Maybe God has in store a surprise for me.

Orka_n
08-27-2011, 12:54 AM
That is very sad news, mate. I can't do much but I'll send a prayer to God that your life will work out for the best, whatever that may mean.
But even if you might have to hang up your racquet, don't give up your drive. Good things will come.

Johnny Groove
08-27-2011, 12:58 AM
Thanks, Orka, I appreciate :D

BigJohn
08-27-2011, 01:02 AM
Perhaps the NCAA could allow you to play tennis and go to college?

Johnny Groove
08-27-2011, 01:34 AM
Perhaps the NCAA could allow you to play tennis and go to college?

Well, I've already got 3 years of college under my belt :shrug:

I will definitely attempt to try out for the FAU team when I transfer there next year.

BigJohn
08-27-2011, 01:52 AM
I wish you all the best with that project.

out_here_grindin
08-27-2011, 03:00 AM
your transfering to FAU? Juan Bolona who was playing here at Clemson recently went to the UCF team.

you could try to get the team manager job at FAU. You could help out the team and get paid as well as getting a foot into the door in the world of tennis management. Plus you would be allowed to play with the team sometimes as well.

Lee
08-27-2011, 04:19 AM
:hug: Jon!

tennisfan856
08-27-2011, 06:33 AM
give tennis lessons for a boost in cash. I do it for the summer and then stop in winter. You have the luxury of doing it all year round.

Arkulari
08-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Jon :hug:

Work as a tennis instructor to pay your coach! that way you can do what you love and get paid for it ;)

Xristos
08-27-2011, 09:40 AM

I've been training nearly 4 full months and my coach is astounded at my level of improvement. My game is getting better by leaps and bounds.

But, as is the case with most tennis players, lack of money is my issue. My family is doing as best we can, but we are simply unable to pay for training. It is not set in stone yet, but I predict about a 66% chance of me having to give up my dream of #1 in the world before the end of the year. I'll have to go back to college, get a degree, maybe grad school, and be a regular schmuck like everyone else.

I sort of feel like Ray Liotta at the end of Goodfellas, living in witness protection.

This is just tough to deal with mentally. It would be one thing if my coach told me: "Johnny, I appreciate your desire, but kid, you really can't go any further than this." I could accept that. But no, he believes fully I can make it in this game.

It is tough now. We'll see what happens. Maybe God has in store a surprise for me.

All the best. Hang in there mate.

bad gambler
08-27-2011, 09:55 AM

How much are we talking about here roughly?

Sunset of Age
08-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Hey Jon, sounds like a difficult situation and I have no bloody idea how sponsoring deals (that's the way to find you some money isn't it?) work in the US - but best of luck anyhows.
Keep us updated! :hug:

Lopez
08-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Shame that you might have to hang up your rackets. Best of luck to you and I hope you get the money issues sorted out.

Having said that, don't be too upset if you "have to" start working a "normal" job. Honestly I think that pro sports is a very difficult field to make a decent living especially considering that careers tend to be quite short and many pros are left with very little career opportunities after their active careers are over. Working hard at a normal job will get you promoted eventually and combine that with smart investment decisions, you can be very well off later in life :).

I very much hope you make it, I'm just saying that the alternative isn't really that bad :).

Hewitt =Legend
08-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Shame that you might have to hang up your rackets. Best of luck to you and I hope you get the money issues sorted out.

Having said that, don't be too upset if you "have to" start working a "normal" job. Honestly I think that pro sports is a very difficult field to make a decent living especially considering that careers tend to be quite short and many pros are left with very little career opportunities after their active careers are over. Working hard at a normal job will get you promoted eventually and combine that with smart investment decisions, you can be very well off later in life :).

I very much hope you make it, I'm just saying that the alternative isn't really that bad :).

This. Great post.

Money issues are annoying but happen to everyone, just keep your head up and work just as hard and maybe you'll catch a break. And if it doesn't work out, you can always try and stay involved in the sport, maybe through coaching or writing about it... god knows we need more tennis journalists that know what they're talking about :)

Clay Death
08-27-2011, 02:52 PM
i have seen jonathan hit. he has sound mechanics.

could be a great tennis instructor at a high school level.

Bilbo
08-27-2011, 03:02 PM

This is sad news, dude. Anyway, money doesn't make you happy. Believe me. It's your relationships to women which makes you happy. However, you need to continue to fight.

Bilbo
08-27-2011, 03:04 PM

Maybe bad gambler is going to invest in you ;)

Johnny Groove
08-27-2011, 05:11 PM
I wish you all the best with that project.

Thanks man.

your transfering to FAU? Juan Bolona who was playing here at Clemson recently went to the UCF team.

you could try to get the team manager job at FAU. You could help out the team and get paid as well as getting a foot into the door in the world of tennis management. Plus you would be allowed to play with the team sometimes as well.

Now this is a good idea, thanks for it, Jeff.

:hug: Jon!

Thank you Lee :hug:

give tennis lessons for a boost in cash. I do it for the summer and then stop in winter. You have the luxury of doing it all year round.

This is a possibility. I gotta make it work timewise though. I am taking 3 classes as well this semester.

Jon :hug:

Work as a tennis instructor to pay your coach! that way you can do what you love and get paid for it ;)

It could happen, Nat, I am currently exploring all possible options :)

Roughly $500-$1000 per month I am short.

Well thank you for the other side of the story, Lopez, if I do have to end up giving up the dream, I'll survive. It is the starving kids in Africa who have the real problems. Really gives me perspective.

This. Great post.

Money issues are annoying but happen to everyone, just keep your head up and work just as hard and maybe you'll catch a break. And if it doesn't work out, you can always try and stay involved in the sport, maybe through coaching or writing about it... god knows we need more tennis journalists that know what they're talking about :)

:lol: My plan is to play for 10 years and then coach and/or commentate and/or write about tennis. This game is my life!

i have seen jonathan hit. he has sound mechanics.

could be a great tennis instructor at a high school level.

It could happen.

This is sad news, dude. Anyway, money doesn't make you happy. Believe me. It's your relationships to women which makes you happy. However, you need to continue to fight.

Thanks Bilbo :yeah:

Maybe bad gambler is going to invest in you ;)

Now that would make my fucking year!

I have talked to my coach, the last thing he wants to see is me ending it. He is a tough Romanian guy who has suffered all kinds of shit in his life, and I could see the tears welling up in his eyes as he spoke to me this morning, mate. He wants to do all he can to make this work.

Thank you for the support, everyone.

Clay Death
08-27-2011, 06:19 PM
you will always have full support of the castle jonathan. we will always wish you the very best mate.

Gagsquet
08-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Man (for the moment), your career is not over. With some surgery, you can make some damage in WTA.

Just kidding, don't give up.

Har-Tru
08-28-2011, 12:07 AM
I think it´s time to bow out indeed mate. Do it with class and become a non-regular schmuck.

Dmitry Verdasco
08-28-2011, 05:00 AM
SOMEONE HAND ME A KLEENEX! I'M WELLiNG UP! :tears:

:rolleyes:

Johnny Groove
08-28-2011, 05:15 AM
you will always have full support of the castle jonathan. we will always wish you the very best mate.

CD :yeah:

Man (for the moment), your career is not over. With some surgery, you can make some damage in WTA.

Just kidding, don't give up.

:lol: Thanks for the laugh, and giving up is not gonna happen until all resources have been exhausted.

I think it´s time to bow out indeed mate. Do it with class and become a non-regular schmuck.

Well, not yet, Jose. But if it indeed comes to that, I will do it with class and be a high class schmuck :p

SOMEONE HAND ME A KLEENEX! I'M WELLiNG UP! :tears: :rolleyes:

Were you not the same poster who posted your story on NT about your sister and her lazy ass boyfriend? To which everyone sympathized with you?

And now you are taking shots? Come on now.

Hewitt =Legend
08-28-2011, 10:54 AM
:lol: My plan is to play for 10 years and then coach and/or commentate and/or write about tennis. This game is my life!

That to was my goal until i realised that my Kournikova serve wasn't going to cut it on the futures circuit :lol: So I shifted my focus onto journalism and hopefully one day I'll land a position in which I get paid to watch this game...

It's always important to have a fallback option just in case as well...

Clay Death
08-28-2011, 04:00 PM
affirmative. also always pays to have that college degree or 2 as well. its something that can never be taken away from you.

college education also enriches you in so many ways.

arm
08-28-2011, 05:42 PM
sad news :awww: I am very sorry. :hug:
But think, there must be a way: take a part time job, look for sponsors. I don't know how these things work, but I know it took courage to take that decision and you shouldn't give up now. Good luck! :hug:

BigJohn
08-28-2011, 05:59 PM
One way to make a lot of money is to become a "massage" "therapist". You could work only 2 days a week, training the other days. It would be nice if your story had a happy end.

Dmitry Verdasco
08-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Nah, you're okay. I've thought about going pro every once and a while when I play really well but never make the commitment. Congrats on your for trying :hug: What country do you represent and do you have an ITF player page?

Cloudygirl
08-29-2011, 04:34 PM
before I could even give you an opinion on this.

How much ish are you currently paying your coach and what are his credentials and the best player he's coached.

HOw much have you actually improved and what is the best player you have played recently

why didn't you go for a college tennis scholarship if you genuinely think you are good enough for the atp

I wouldn't knock anyones dreams but if your family is giving you money to pay for this you need to be able to make a living out of this. You have to be pretty good in pro tennis to earn a decent living.

Everko
08-29-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm sorry you don't have enough money. I know that feeling, it isn't very happy. But at least now you can focus on a more realistic goal, like tennis managing or something

MsTree
08-29-2011, 08:35 PM
I hope it works out for you and you're able to pursue your dream. Having no money sucks :o

Johnny Groove
08-29-2011, 08:53 PM
That to was my goal until i realised that my Kournikova serve wasn't going to cut it on the futures circuit :lol: So I shifted my focus onto journalism and hopefully one day I'll land a position in which I get paid to watch this game...

It's always important to have a fallback option just in case as well...

Of course, always. I am taking three classes this semester as well as training.

affirmative. also always pays to have that college degree or 2 as well. its something that can never be taken away from you.

college education also enriches you in so many ways.

Affirmative, General Clay Death.

sad news :awww: I am very sorry. :hug:
But think, there must be a way: take a part time job, look for sponsors. I don't know how these things work, but I know it took courage to take that decision and you shouldn't give up now. Good luck! :hug:

Yes, I am going to try to get a part time job and make some money to go along with my training and school. Hope I can do it all :p

One way to make a lot of money is to become a "massage" "therapist". You could work only 2 days a week, training the other days. It would be nice if your story had a happy end.

Nah, you're okay. I've thought about going pro every once and a while when I play really well but never make the commitment. Congrats on your for trying :hug: What country do you represent and do you have an ITF player page?

Yes I do, search for Jonathan Morgan :p

before I could even give you an opinion on this.

How much ish are you currently paying your coach and what are his credentials and the best player he's coached.

HOw much have you actually improved and what is the best player you have played recently

A lot of improvement. I've not played any matches, we train mostly with the ball machine. My coach has coached Andrei Pavel to top 15 in the world during the 2000's. He's also coached Florin Mergea, Gabriel Trifu, and Razvan Sabau.

why didn't you go for a college tennis scholarship if you genuinely think you are good enough for the atp

Cause college coaches all recruit 18 year old kids with potential. I have to get at least 1 ATP point before that even becomes and option,

I wouldn't knock anyones dreams but if your family is giving you money to pay for this you need to be able to make a living out of this. You have to be pretty good in pro tennis to earn a decent living.

Yes, I am pretty aware of this. I will make it.

I'm sorry you don't have enough money. I know that feeling, it isn't very happy. But at least now you can focus on a more realistic goal, like tennis managing or something

Fuck that. For now at least.

I hope it works out for you and you're able to pursue your dream. Having no money sucks :o

:hug:

MariaV
08-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Andrei Pavel's coach. :worship: :bowdown:

Jonathan, you'e got enough advice here so good luck, hope things will work out for you! :hug: :hug:
You know Safin was close to quitting tennis before his dad finally found a sponsor. ;)

Start da Game
08-29-2011, 09:50 PM
it's extremely tough to work, study and train for tennis as well......don't try that......either you are rich enough to dispose of a little property and expend in training or you just find a sponsor, there's really no other way......

in my honest opinion, get rid of your coach temporarily and keep destroying the club players and lesser college players......what you pay for your coach can instead be used for participation fees at various tournaments and traveling......somebody big might notice you, you never know......try it for 6 months and then see where you get at......that's the best and least investment strategy at this point......

JolánGagó
08-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Do some escorting, 2 or 3 evenings a month will do.

Tzar
08-30-2011, 06:41 PM
so, you're not playing FSU this year?

alfonsojose
08-30-2011, 07:35 PM

I'd pay. You're and adult, right?

Johnny Groove
08-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Andrei Pavel's coach. :worship: :bowdown:

Jonathan, you'e got enough advice here so good luck, hope things will work out for you! :hug: :hug:
You know Safin was close to quitting tennis before his dad finally found a sponsor. ;)

Hey hope that happens for me!

I'd take a Safin-style career :p

it's extremely tough to work, study and train for tennis as well......don't try that......either you are rich enough to dispose of a little property and expend in training or you just find a sponsor, there's really no other way......

in my honest opinion, get rid of your coach temporarily and keep destroying the club players and lesser college players......what you pay for your coach can instead be used for participation fees at various tournaments and traveling......somebody big might notice you, you never know......try it for 6 months and then see where you get at......that's the best and least investment strategy at this point......

That's not going to work, mate.

Being a gigolo will be my last resort.

so, you're not playing FSU this year?

Nope, no club tennis this year for me, Jeronimo.

BigJohn
08-31-2011, 01:34 AM

Being a gigolo will be my last resort.

http://therealestatecoconut.com/files/2010/03/FingersCrossed.jpg

Johnny Groove
09-21-2011, 03:50 AM
Just a pair of pictures.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m121/Blaze-2004/ForehandPreparation.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m121/Blaze-2004/ForehandFollowthrough.jpg

Mimi
09-21-2011, 07:54 AM
you are becoming a player like X? Thats great, vamossss :woohoo:

LawrenceOfTennis
10-13-2011, 05:58 PM
top 100 huh?
:haha: :facepalm:

Johnny Groove
10-13-2011, 06:21 PM
top 100 huh?
:haha: :facepalm:

Yeah, at least.

Sunset of Age
10-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Nice pictures Jon. :yeah:
Is that your coach in that second picture?

Johnny Groove
10-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Yup, that's him, Karin :D

He's crazy, but he's a genius. Romanian. Took Andrei Pavel to top 20 in the world. :dance:

Sunset of Age
10-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Yup, that's him, Karin :D

He's crazy, but he's a genius. Romanian. Took Andrei Pavel to top 20 in the world. :dance:

WOW! :eek:
Well I see why you want to keep the guy! Hope you manage. :)

Orka_n
10-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Hm. Which FH grip do you use? Full western?

Johnny Groove
10-14-2011, 01:19 AM
WOW! :eek:
Well I see why you want to keep the guy! Hope you manage. :)

Thanks, Karin :kiss:

Your support is always welcome :)

Hm. Which FH grip do you use? Full western?

No, semi-western. And 1 handed backhand (that needs work) :tape:

Orka_n
10-14-2011, 02:27 AM
No, semi-western. And 1 handed backhand (that needs work) :tape:I see. :) And your frame is the BLX Six-One Team?

Anyways, I prefer the semi-western grip too. But a one-hander, huh... never really got the hang of that. Btw, what would you say is your best shot?

Johnny Groove
10-14-2011, 02:55 AM
I see. :) And your frame is the BLX Six-One Team?

Anyways, I prefer the semi-western grip too. But a one-hander, huh... never really got the hang of that. Btw, what would you say is your best shot?

I've got the BLX 6.1 95 18x20.

My forehand is definitely my best shot. Serve is very good, but horribly inconsistent, backhand is a solid rally shot at best, dreadful at worst. Mostly I need to increase my endurance. The first few hours, I play well, but once I get tired, my game goes to shit.

Orka_n
10-14-2011, 04:49 AM
I've got the BLX 6.1 95 18x20.

My forehand is definitely my best shot. Serve is very good, but horribly inconsistent, backhand is a solid rally shot at best, dreadful at worst. Mostly I need to increase my endurance. The first few hours, I play well, but once I get tired, my game goes to shit.Interesting stuff. Well, continued luck to you.

Johnny Groove
05-12-2012, 09:15 PM
How about an update, eh? :p

I ended up having to stop training with my coach in early December (family could no longer support). After that it was a few weeks of depression and job hunting, until i got a job at Toys R Us. I worked there a few weeks, and then luckily caught a break and picked up a job at a tennis center, working the front desk and also giving lessons. I worked there for a few months until early April (still do, but only picking up shifts). Then I got another tennis pro shop job on the other side of town, a good 24 hours a week :yeah: Save up some money, pay for tournaments and training from my own pocket, that's the plan.

Anyways, this weekend I played a tournament down in Weston. A 4.5 NTRP event. I had previously ordered some demos from Tennis Warehouse, the Nadal and Roddick racquets, Federer's new tour 90, and the old Sampras/Edberg/Courier Wilson Pro Staff 85!!!! Such an awesome stick the 85. :inlove:

And so, I used the 85 in my first match. The other guy was one of those players who gets EVERYTHING back, and with my attacking game, he frustrated me a bit. Everything was either my winner or error, though he did hit a few winners every now and then.

Anyway, on we fight, and he gets up 4-2 with a break. I hold and then break back for 4 all, but then he rebreaks me to 30 and serves for the set. *5-4 in the first, serving for the set. I kept telling myself, "keep fighting, one point at a time, this is your time". And it was. I broke back to 30 to level the first at 5-5. We both hold easily and go into the TB. In the breaker, I get my shit together and win it 7-3. Serving well, I think I only missed one first serve, and very aggressive with the forehand. :rocker2:

Early in the second, I feel I've got him on the ropes. I break in the opening game to 15 and he seems tired and done. I mistakenly believed this and let off the gas. 3 double faults and a missed forehand later, he has broken back to level at 1-1. After that, he holds easily to 15, and it is as if he has gotten a 2nd wind. It was a hot day, high humidity, and now I am starting to tire. :o

At 1-2, I served a big game. I save a break point with a big serve and no return, and end up holding after one deuce, so 2-2. In the next game, I broke to love, as he seemed to re-tire as well, and my energy went up. *3-2 I'm serving, and I hold to 15 for 4-2. The next game, the first point, we play a 20something shot rally which I lose and I'm gassed. I basically tank the next few points going for winners, and he holds to 15 for 4-3. Concentrate on my serve, the Sampras mentality :D

I hold to 30 for 5-3, and now he is serving at 3-5, 30-30. I had noticed my strings were fraying a bit the last few games, and of course they popped when I hit a forehand return at 30 all. Of course it went long and I switched racquets back to my Wilson 6.1 BLX 95 18x20. Similar, yes, but the 85 is a dream. Anyway, he holds for 4-5 and now I'm serving for the match. By this point, I'm about to pass out from exhaustion. I'm dizzy out there, my left quad beginning to cramp, but still I kept telling myself to fight and fight. 5-4, 30-30, we play a long rally, I move him left and right, come in, and he whistles a forehand cross court past my outstretched body and cramping leg as I lunged in vain. Now I'm in pain. I stretch the quad and regroup. Unfortunately, I hit a DF on the next point to give him the break :o

Now at 5-5, I am a dead man walking. I try to compete, but he holds to 30, as he has caught his own 3rd or 4th wind. He then breaks my dead self to 30 to take the set 7-5.

Third set, we play a 10 point tiebreak. I dunno how I did it, but I again regrouped, refocused, found some energy from somewhere and dominated the breaker. 1-0, 2-0, 3-0, 4-0, 5-0, 6-0, 7-0! He won 2 points on serve to get it to 2-7, followed by two points on my serve for 9-2. At 2-9, he served, we had a rally, and he comes in on my forehand. I race across, hit a forehand pass down the line which he pops up in my backhand corner. I summoned some energy and sprinted to the other side and sent a backhand slice down the line right in the corner to take the tiebreaker 10-2 :woohoo: 2 hours 15 minute battle that I triumphed.

Now I'm dead :lol: Luckily the tournament director gave me 90 minutes to eat and come back. At 2, we played the match and I was still dead :lol: The other guy got up an early break 3-1, but I fought and kept fighting. I held a big game at *1-3 with some really good forehands down the line. I broke him in the next game and prepared myself for another long battle. At *3-3, I served with 15-0. A big serve wide, short reply, forehand winner the other way for 30-0. As I fist pumped and got ready for the next point, he walked up to the net and had to retire, left leg cramping up. Hey, I'll take it!

Now I am playing semifinals tomorrow, but the problem is I have to work 8-1 at my job, but the match is scheduled for 11 :facepalm:.

I gotta get someone to cover my shift, otherwise I gotta give a walkover :mad: Fuck that, I'll be so pissed.

So that's it! I'm back baby! :dance:

http://tennislink.usta.com/TOURNAMENTS/TournamentHome_New/Tournament.aspx?T=112001

Gagsquet
05-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Congrats. Here is a comparative table to make understand to eveybody that 4,5 is nice but this is AMATEUR level. No offense Groove. You would routine me anyway. 4,5 in USA = 15.1 in France. 12 years old ranking of Gasquet.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4025/equivalencerankingtenis.jpg

Lee
05-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Good work, Jon! :yeah:

Johnny Groove
05-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Lee :smooch:

Congrats. Here is a comparative table to make understand to eveybody that 4,5 is nice but this is AMATEUR level. No offense Groove. You would routine me anyway. 4,5 in USA = 15.1 in France. 12 years old ranking of Gasquet.

Thank you for providing even more fuel to my fire :yeah:

Pirata.
05-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Great job, keep going :cheerleader:

Remember, I am offering my WAG services once you hit top 100, so motivate yourself to get there :D

Chase Visa
05-13-2012, 12:41 AM
Are you planning on playing any futures soon?

Gagsquet
05-13-2012, 12:50 AM
Are you planning on playing any futures qualifications soon?

corrected.

Har-Tru
05-13-2012, 12:56 AM
Congrats Johnny! At this progress rate you might get to win a set in a futures qualification match by the time you're 28!

Topspindoctor
05-13-2012, 02:01 AM
You should tank these events and try to peak for slams. I am sure the organizers will recognize the talent and give you a WC in a flash :cool:

Johnny Groove
05-13-2012, 02:10 AM
Unfortunately, I had to give a W/O to the #2 seed Daniel Mendez in the SF :awww:

I was unable to find anyone to cover my shift, so instead of playing the SF, I'll be at work :mad: Fuckin' A.

Great job, keep going :cheerleader:

Remember, I am offering my WAG services once you hit top 100, so motivate yourself to get there :D

:lol: I will keep you in mind :kiss:

Are you planning on playing any futures soon?

I dunno, man. My old coach is training now a guy ranked 1000 ATP or so, Roberto Cid. When my level gets to there, I'll train with him some and if I'm winning or at least coming close, I'll give a shot to the futures. But it won't be until January at the earliest. I gotta keep this job and save up money, for a year at least, I don't want what happened this weekend to happen again. I am in the worst feeling ever right now. Having to give a W/O because I'm working :rolleyes: I want to save up until next Spring and then quit my job and hit the tour. Next October the latest. I am also graduating college next May. So we'll see what happens in the next 12 months. Grad school? Quit my job and hit the tour? Something else? We'll see.

corrected.

Congrats Johnny! At this progress rate you might get to win a set in a futures qualification match by the time you're 28!

Yes, yes, more fuel please, thank you, you two.

You should tank these events and try to peak for slams. I am sure the organizers will recognize the talent and give you a WC in a flash :cool:

BroTree123
05-13-2012, 02:21 AM
I think you will win US Open one day.

Mjau!
05-13-2012, 03:25 AM

I for one think it's pretty impressive to be roughly as good as a 12 year old Gasquet.

Roger the Dodger
05-13-2012, 06:38 AM
Yes, yes, more fuel please, thank you, you two.

I'm not sure that was more fuel but you have a very positive attitude, so keep going anyways!

Gagsquet
05-13-2012, 11:35 AM
I for one think it's pretty impressive to be roughly as good as a 12 year old Gasquet.

I consider pretty depressing but also amusing that a guy expecting to make tennis his job and break through ATP tour wouldn't be able to win "Les Petits As" at 22 years old.

J99
05-13-2012, 11:41 AM
That's awesome, I give you all the best, what's your name so we can follow you?:)

Johnny Groove
05-13-2012, 02:54 PM
I think you will win US Open one day.

At least once :p

Gotta start somewhere.

I'm not sure that was more fuel but you have a very positive attitude, so keep going anyways!

I consider pretty depressing but also amusing that a guy expecting to make tennis his job and break through ATP tour wouldn't be able to win "Les Petits As" at 22 years old.

Fuel, baby. Just more fuel.

That's awesome, I give you all the best, what's your name so we can follow you?:)

Jonathan Morgan.

Remember it :yeah:

Shinoj
05-15-2012, 10:52 AM
And whats your ranking now?

Mimi
05-15-2012, 11:03 AM
its good to hear that you got some good results, work harder Johnny :woohoo: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Harmless
05-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Good luck Jon, and congrats on the results! :aparty: :hug:

jonathancrane
05-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Congrats, keep it up

Johnny Groove
05-15-2012, 12:47 PM
And whats your ranking now?

Well the new rankings will come out in early June, the USTA does it once per month.

The guy I beat in the 1st round was ranked #37 in the state of Florida in the 4.5's, and I'm pretty by making the SF, I am going to gain 50 points and jump from 152 in the state in the 4.5's to #95 or so in the state :p

By contrast, I am ranked #549 in the state in the Men's Opens, the true ranking, really. A bit of perspective, the #1 in the state in the Men's Open is Matt Bocko, former #400 ATP in 2010, #9 in the state is Joe Cadogan, ranked 1351 ATP currently, and most of the other top 10-20 in the state either currently or formerly have had rank or are playing futures.

So its a long way to go :p

its good to hear that you got some good results, work harder Johnny :woohoo: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Thank you mimi :smooch:

Good luck Jon, and congrats on the results! :aparty: :hug:

Thank you Maya :kiss:

Congrats, keep it up

Thanks mate :yeah:

Shinoj
05-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Well the new rankings will come out in early June, the USTA does it once per month.

The guy I beat in the 1st round was ranked #37 in the state of Florida in the 4.5's, and I'm pretty by making the SF, I am going to gain 50 points and jump from 152 in the state in the 4.5's to #95 or so in the state :p

By contrast, I am ranked #549 in the state in the Men's Opens, the true ranking, really. A bit of perspective, the #1 in the state in the Men's Open is Matt Bocko, former #400 ATP in 2010, #9 in the state is Joe Cadogan, ranked 1351 ATP currently, and most of the other top 10-20 in the state either currently or formerly have had rank or are playing futures.

So its a long way to go :p

:p.. Long way indeed.

But all the Best and make most of it. I wouldn't muck around much on an Internet Forum if i was you, to be honest.

Chris Kuerten
05-15-2012, 04:07 PM
I was getting all hyped up reading this thread, all the talk about top 100 and playing Futures, kinda anticlimactic to discover you're only a 4.5 :lol:

Arkulari
05-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Vamos Jon! keep working :D

Gagsquet
05-15-2012, 08:42 PM
I don't mind Groove keep us in touch with his latest results (a bit an attention-whorism attitud however) but the word career in the thread title is a lie. You have no career, replace it by hobby, leisure time activity, adventure or something like that. You are lying to us and to yourself and that's not a good thing. I hope you won't take my post as an offense, it is not.

Johnny Groove
05-15-2012, 08:46 PM
I was getting all hyped up reading this thread, all the talk about top 100 and playing Futures, kinda anticlimactic to discover you're only a 4.5 :lol:

It's a long road, sure. But things can happen quickly in this game. Things change quick.

Delpo went from outside top 1000 to inside top 200 in one year. Roddick went from unranked to inside top 100 in a year. Federer went from 800 to 200 in a year, so did Nadal, and many other top 25 players. Things happen VERY fast in this sport.

Vamos Jon! keep working :D

Thanks Nat :D

I don't mind Groove keep us in touch with his latest results (a bit an attention-whorism attitud however) but the word career in the thread title is a lie. You have no career, replace it by hobby, leisure time activity, adventure or something like that. You are lying to us and to yourself and that's not a good thing. I hope you won't take my post as an offense, it is not.

Fuel, baby. Gasoline.

Wdqo9aO0fyo

Lopez
05-15-2012, 09:34 PM

It's a long road, sure. But things can happen quickly in this game. Things change quick.

Delpo went from outside top 1000 to inside top 200 in one year. Roddick went from unranked to inside top 100 in a year. Federer went from 800 to 200 in a year, so did Nadal, and many other top 25 players. Things happen VERY fast in this sport.

Well yeah but I think you're simplifying it a bit... They were all top juniors and great prospects. There are simply things that are tough to pick up in sports when you get older. Granted there are some players who break the top100 later on in their career such as Gicquel, but he broke the top1000 in 1999, when he was 22.

Not saying you're facing an impossible task, I mean anything is theoretically possible :p

Chris Kuerten
05-15-2012, 11:22 PM

Delpo went from outside top 1000 to inside top 200 in one year. Roddick went from unranked to inside top 100 in a year. Federer went from 800 to 200 in a year, so did Nadal, and many other top 25 players. Things happen VERY fast in this sport.I would love to play you. I've been a 5.0 since my 15th, but haven't really trained in years, think we would have a great match.

Although I'm a real clay player, doubt you have seen a lot of clay courts in your life :lol:. Same could be said about me when we're talking about hardcourts, though.

Johnny Groove
05-16-2012, 01:05 AM
Well yeah but I think you're simplifying it a bit... They were all top juniors and great prospects. There are simply things that are tough to pick up in sports when you get older. Granted there are some players who break the top100 later on in their career such as Gicquel, but he broke the top1000 in 1999, when he was 22.

Not saying you're facing an impossible task, I mean anything is theoretically possible :p

There it is :yeah: :D

If anything, I'd compare myself to Tilden, save for the weird stuff. Tilden was a club hacker for years, couldn't even make his college team. He was a nobody at 22. 4 years later he was #1 in the world :shrug:

I would love to play you. I've been a 5.0 since my 15th, but haven't really trained in years, think we would have a great match.

Although I'm a real clay player, doubt you have seen a lot of clay courts in your life :lol:. Same could be said about me when we're talking about hardcourts, though.

Hell yeah man. I've seen plenty of clay courts in my life, in fact I play as much on clay as I do on hard courts, if not more so. The tourney last weekend was clay. Green clay, though, American clay :p I've played on red clay a few times though :p

fast_clay
05-16-2012, 01:15 AM
less tennis, more dead people please

cheers in advance

Topspindoctor
05-16-2012, 01:22 AM
Johnny Groove is an all serve mug.

Jamoz
05-16-2012, 01:40 AM

Stout or Lager??

evilmindbulgaria
05-16-2012, 03:37 AM
Keep the dream alive, Johnny :yeah:

Shinoj
05-16-2012, 06:20 AM
If it aint going anywhere just catch a good Volleyist on Tour and concentrate on Doubles.:p

Lopez
05-16-2012, 04:34 PM
If anything, I'd compare myself to Tilden, save for the weird stuff. Tilden was a club hacker for years, couldn't even make his college team. He was a nobody at 22. 4 years later he was #1 in the world :shrug:

Well, to be fair I'd say that the times have changed since then.

But, as said, good luck. Make sure you have something to fall back on.

Johnny Groove
05-16-2012, 07:05 PM

An all return mug if anything.

Keep the dream alive, Johnny :yeah:

No doubt :rocker2:

If it aint going anywhere just catch a good Volleyist on Tour and concentrate on Doubles.:p

Maybe :shrug:

Well, to be fair I'd say that the times have changed since then.

But, as said, good luck. Make sure you have something to fall back on.

They have, and they haven't, time will tell :cool:

Yeah man, if it doesn't work out, I'll just be a tennis coach and/or teach history classes :shrug:

Chris Kuerten
05-16-2012, 09:26 PM
I study history :lol:

We would be BFF's.

shotgun
05-17-2012, 01:16 AM
less tennis, more dead people please

cheers in advance

"So I finished a tennis match and went to McDonald's to get a burguer, then suddenly a gang walked in..."

JolánGagó
05-17-2012, 09:10 AM
:spit:

Johnny Groove
07-27-2012, 06:17 PM
How are you, MTF? :wavey:

Well, it is time for another tournament. Jumped through some hoops to get the weekend off from work, and now am playing a Men's Open down in Plantation.

http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournaments/TournamentHome_New/Tournament.aspx?T=113884

I am on line 3, I play Wayland G. Lee in the first round. I am looking no further than the first shot of the first point of the first game. Vamos.

evilmindbulgaria
07-28-2012, 02:41 AM
Good luck :yeah:

BroTree123
07-28-2012, 02:43 AM
You can do it man, I believe in you :bowdown:

The Prince
07-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Best of luck.

Andi-M
07-28-2012, 10:58 AM
All the best Johnny would be awesome for you to make your dream, I'm sure all of MTF will support you 100%, but dont stop posting completley cos your one of the best!

GSMnadal
07-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Exactly, we can use another top player alongside Djokovic posting on here.

Knock 'em dead :yeah:

Nidhogg
07-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Have fun and kick ass.

Johnny Groove
07-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Finished, was a tough match, here is my report:

Vs. Wayland G. Lee, Plantation Men’s Open, R64, July 28, 2012, 3-6, 2-6

He breaks to 30, 0-1, missed too many first serves, DF to give away at 30-40
He holds to 30, 0-2
He breaks to 15, 0-3, DFs, and FH errors
I break after 3 deuces, 1-3
I hold to 30, 2-3
I break to 30, 3-3
He breaks after 1 deuce, 3-4, I had 40-15, and fucked it up.
He holds to 15, 3-5
He breaks to 30, 3-6, DF at 30-40, fucking pathetic

Need to drop some more weight, need more work on BH returns, and BH in general, more work on back, abs, obliques, and shoulder, my body was not injured, not in pain, but lingering injuries are still there, and there is clearly still some restriction in my bodily movements. I need to be more fluid.

He holds after 3 deuces, 0-1, 2 missed backhands on 2 break points, pathetic.
I hold to 30, 1-1
He holds after 2 deuces, 1-2, I miss 3 straight backhand returns from ad out, deuce, and ad in
He breaks to 30, 1-3 I whiff a BH at 30-30, and DF away the break at 30-40, again, pathetic
He holds to 15, 1-4, I miss a FH just long, one into the tape, backhand volley just wide
He breaks to 30, 1-5, I missed 2 BH putaways, and again, I DF to give away the break at 30-40
I break back to 30, 2-5
He breaks after 2 deuces, 2-6, I fucked up from 40-0, once again, fucking pathetic

Missed a lot of chances early in the 2nd set to get the break. Serve needs mad work, endurance was ok, but needs work as well, lingering injuries need to be healed, too many easy misses on both FH and BH, and DF to give away a break 4 fucking times. I do like how I fought like a dog, but I choked too many leads and too many BP with bad errors and 4 DF to give away 4 break points, too pathetic of a match. Yeah I won 5 games against a very good opponent, but I really fucked up, I could have won much more, I had my chances here.

Grades:
Forehand: A-, very good, the staple of my game, won many points and dictated play well with my forehand. Overcooked a few balls trying to hit big winners, but when the guy is defending so well on a clay court, some errors are to be expected.

Backhand: C+, could have been better, could have been worse. Returning especially I gave him far too many short balls. I tried moving in and taking on the rise, I tried moving back and taking some time, my BH return needs work, but much better than it used to be. In the rallies, it held up decently, but many times I was out of position, but this is more due to my own fitness, as we will see below.

Volleys/Overheads/Net play: C+, hit a few sick drop volleys and a killer overhead or two, but didn’t spend too much time at net. Missed an easy BH volley in the 2nd set, and was passed plenty of times when I did not anticipate where he was going. My net positioning was off.

Serve: C-, Was ok for the most part, I got a few cheap points, served at a decent %, didn’t hit too many DF, probably about 5 unreturned serves, free points. Though I did get plenty of 1-2 set ups with a serve and forehand, but it was at the crucial times those DF’s absolutely killed me. I think I hit maybe 7 DF in the match, but 4 were break point down.

Endurance: B, We played a good number of long rallies, and me endurance is much better than it used to be. I remember hitting one or two tired shots after a long rally, but overall, my endurance was pretty good.

Body Fitness: C, This is an issue. I am carrying at least 5 pounds too many, and on many occasions, I was a step or two late, causing my shots to be weaker if not error, to land shorter in the court and allow him to dictate. My speed around the court is a few steps too slow due to being 162 pounds right now. I need to get down to like 155-157 or so, and those balls where I was having to slice a BH or hitting late, I would be able to set up properly and hit a proper shot. Not to mention my lingering back and shoulder injuries. Often times I would set up for a forehand, planning to drill it into his BH corner, but my body simply wouldn’t allow me to twist fully around, and the ball would land somewhere mid-court. Deep, sure, but down the middle, allowing him to get back in the rally. This happened many times. My body needs work.

Mental: B, Mental strength has always been my greatest asset, coming from 3-0 down, a double break in the first, and not giving up late in the 2nd. If not for my shitty serve, I believe I would have won this match, or at least taken a set. The only reason I didn’t give it an A, is because I let my emotions get the better of me in that final game, choking away 40-0 and letting a primal shout and a few F-Bombs on some of those DF to give away break points.

Forehand- 92
Backhand- 78
Net Play- 78
Serve- 72
Endurance- 85
Body Fitness- 75
Mental- 85

Overall: 80.7%, a B- level overall, I’d about agree with that. I didn’t play badly at all, I just fucked up a few easy shots, some DF at horrible times, and my opponent played very well, he didn’t make too many errors, very solid. This match was basically a futures qualifying. I recall playing Victor Hoang, another Asian player in January 2011 in a futures qualie at the same site. Lee and Hoang are pretty close in terms of skill, I’d say they’d play a tough 3 setter if they matched up vs. each other. Basically, I won 5 games vs. a futures qualifying level player.

Match Stats:

Points won on serve: Me- 24 (40.7%), Him- 34 (54.8%)
Games won on serve: Me- 2 (22.2%), Him- 5 (62.5%)
Points won on return: Me- 28 (45.2%), Him- 35 (59.3%)
Games won on return: Me- 3 (37.5%), Him- 7 (77.8%)
Total points won: Me- 52 (43%), Him- 69 (57%)
Total games won: Me- 5 (29.4%), Him- 12 (70.6%)

Wanted stats:
Serve points= 70%
Return points= 45%
Serve Games= 90%
Return Games= 35%
Total Points= 56%
Total Games= 62%
1 DF every 10 service games
70% break points saved
1 Ace every 2 service games

Need to improve serve points by 29.3%
Return points was 0.2% above ideal
Need to improve serve games by 67.3%
Return games was 2.5% above ideal
Need to win 13% more total points
Need to win 32.6% more total games

So basically, my return game is very good, my serve is shit.

Wayland G. Lee is playing the #1 seed Oleg Dmitriev, #1330 in the world, in the 2nd round. I hope he wins some games and makes me look good!

Gagsquet
07-28-2012, 06:34 PM
At least you finished second of this match. Not bad.

The Prince
07-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Bad luck Johnny, just sounds like the other dude played it cooler on the big points. Keep going.

Nidhogg
07-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Keep on working on your physique and fitness, serve and backhand, and continue to seek out as much match practice as you can.

You did well considering there's plenty of room for improvement. Rock that forehand and keep it up.

Looner
07-29-2012, 01:48 AM
MTF's all cheering for you Johnny. We need someone at the very biggest of stages :).

Arkulari
07-29-2012, 05:43 AM
Vamos Jon! you know we're rooting for you! :hug:

BroTree123
07-29-2012, 05:57 AM
JG :hug: It's alright man, you tried. You still got plenty of more chances in the future. Just keep up the work ethic :yeah:

Johnny Groove
07-29-2012, 02:08 PM
The support is very much appreciated, y'all :hatoff:

Mimi
07-30-2012, 04:50 AM
you are going to get better soon :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

leng jai
07-30-2012, 04:54 AM
Your choice of warcry may also be a concern.

viruzzz
07-30-2012, 07:47 AM
keep it up, champ.
There will be more chances to show who's the real number 1.

BroTree123
07-30-2012, 11:12 AM
When the time comes for you to make a GS final, I will be there.

Anyways, keep up the good work mate. You are a star.

Chris Kuerten
07-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Strategic tank to avoid a double bagel in the next round, I'm on to you.

Johnny Groove
07-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Went to the physical therapist this morning, and it turns out the restriction I felt when trying to twist all the way around was a pinched thoracic nerve in my back, and a pinched ulnar nerve in my forearm. The guy popped me into place, really, and gave me some exercises. Good shit. The guy's name is Roni, down in Coral Springs, been working with athletes for 60 years. Spadea and Roddick are among 2 of his former patients. He says to do the exercises, come back in 1 week, and I should be 100%. What a relief! I haven't been 100% since I was 17!

you are going to get better soon :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Mimi :hug:

I am playing for 2, now that Xristos has decided to retire. Actually, more, I play for those looking for a hero, those who's odds are long.

Your choice of warcry may also be a concern.

I am a lion out there in terms of a warcry. Everyone on site probably heard me.

keep it up, champ.
There will be more chances to show who's the real number 1.

:yeah: Next tournament, August 18 and August 25, back to back weekends :D

When the time comes for you to make a GS final, I will be there.

Anyways, keep up the good work mate. You are a star.

Support means a lot, mate :yeah:

Strategic tank to avoid a double bagel in the next round, I'm on to you.

Shame that Wayland only got one game vs. the #1 seed in the next round. I am pretty confident I could get at least one game! Or 2!

Lopez
07-30-2012, 03:53 PM
I am playing for 2, now that Xristos has decided to retire. Actually, more, I play for those looking for a hero, those who's odds are long.

WHAT? When did this happen :eek:

Johnny Groove
07-30-2012, 03:55 PM
WHAT? When did this happen :eek:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=12248671&postcount=1126

I hope he re-considers and comes back, he is only 24.

But if the fire is gone, the fire is gone :shrug:

Freak3yman84
07-31-2012, 01:01 AM
This is pretty awesome. Keep it up, your chance will come :yeah:

Fujee
07-31-2012, 01:09 AM
Don't think I've ever posted in here, but I read it often. I've always found it really cool how dedicated you are to getting better. Keep up the good work, I really hope you make it.

Johnny Groove
03-10-2013, 10:25 PM
After so many years of injury, so many years of losing first round 6-0, 6-1, so many years of desperations, doubters, haters, even from within my own family, now, today, finally, I have won my first tournament ever, on any level, the 4.0 event.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m121/Blaze-2004/Tamarac13_zps234c1f37.jpg

http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=129153

Woohoo!

It was in Tamarac 2013. First round, I won 6-2, 6-1, 2nd round was a war, I won 6-4, 7-5. And in the final, I did work, 6-0, 6-3.

Next week, I plan to win another one in Aventura :yeah:

Yes it is only a 4.0, yes next week I will be in a 4.5. Yes I know it is only the first rung of the tennis ladder, but one must start somewhere.

Lee
03-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Congratulation Jon! :yeah:

cobalt60
03-10-2013, 10:27 PM
:woohoo: Congrats babe!

Johnny Groove
03-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Lee and Doc Sue :smooch:

asmazif
03-10-2013, 10:35 PM
epic work! anyone bring a camera along?

Johnny Groove
03-10-2013, 10:38 PM
epic work! anyone bring a camera along?

To record the action, no, unfortunately. I can tell you I closed it out at 5-3, 40-15 with a fine, hard, slice serve wide into the deuce court, a short reply, and an inside out FH winner on the line :D

Ben.
Well done, Groove :aparty:

The Prince
Vamos!

Litotes
03-10-2013, 10:41 PM
After so many years of injury, so many years of losing first round 6-0, 6-1, so many years of desperations, doubters, haters, even from within my own family, now, today, finally, I have won my first tournament ever, on any level, the 4.0 event.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m121/Blaze-2004/Tamarac13_zps234c1f37.jpg

http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=129153

Woohoo!

It was in Tamarac 2013. First round, I won 6-2, 6-1, 2nd round was a war, I won 6-4, 7-5. And in the final, I did work, 6-0, 6-3.

Next week, I plan to win another one in Aventura :yeah:

Yes it is only a 4.0, yes next week I will be in a 4.5. Yes I know it is only the first rung of the tennis ladder, but one must start somewhere.

Congratulations, and welcome back :D

Johnny Groove
03-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Thanks, all :hatoff:

Deathless Mortal
03-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Did you dedicate it to your dead son?

EnriqueIG8
03-10-2013, 11:13 PM
Congrats J-Boy.

Hopefully this is the start of something big.

Johnny Groove
03-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Did you dedicate it to your dead son?

Yes.

Congrats J-Boy.

Hopefully this is the start of something big.

Javi :yeah:

Yeah, this is the first step on the ladder to the top!

Chase Visa
03-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Good stuff!

It's never too late to start a pro tennis career. Looks like no MTF was a positive :p

ProdigyEng
03-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Congrats dude.

VamosRafaNadal
03-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Congratulations and enjoy it :D

Johnny Groove
03-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Good stuff!

It's never too late to start a pro tennis career. Looks like no MTF was a positive :p

I dunno about that, I was reading MTF every day during my banning :lol:

Congrats dude.

:yeah: And Janowicz is a legend.

Congratulations and enjoy it :D

Thank you and welcome to the board! Rafa Nadal fans are a rare sight these days!

EnriqueIG8
03-10-2013, 11:43 PM
Javi :yeah:

Yeah, this is the first step on the ladder to the top!

Count me in. I'll jump on the bandwagon. Winning on clay? Clay Death must be proud.

Great to see you still have a lot of self belief, most important part of making it.

Really hope you gonna achieve your dreams pal. Oh and behave on MTF this time!

ProdigyEng
03-10-2013, 11:44 PM

I dunno about that, I was reading MTF every day during my banning :lol:

:yeah: And Janowicz is a legend.

Thank you and welcome to the board! Rafa Nadal fans are a rare sight these days!

Mirin' your afro btw.

rocketassist
03-10-2013, 11:47 PM
Played. :yeah:

Was it on hard or green clay?

samanosuke
03-10-2013, 11:54 PM
congrats and welcome back :yeah:

btw did cilic play that tournament ?

Johnny Groove
03-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Count me in. I'll jump on the bandwagon. Winning on clay? Clay Death must be proud.

Great to see you still have a lot of self belief, most important part of making it.

Really hope you gonna achieve your dreams pal. Oh and behave on MTF this time!

You are right, belief is the #1 thing. I recall having a shouting match with God a few months ago on court, asking how much more do I have to endure? I nearly quit, especially after another injury mid-match in the SF at a tourney in Delray last month. But I persisted, and now finally I am starting to have results :D

As for behaving here, I am always a gentleman on here, and I've never made a double account. Why make another account when I already have a legendary account? So I can post Nadal in 2 in a WWW thread? But, it is in the past.

Mirin' your afro btw.

Afro? It is pretty short, actually. My afro days are long gone :p

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m121/Blaze-2004/WhatUp.jpg

Played. :yeah:

Was it on hard or green clay?

It was on the green clay. Though I warmed up pre-match on hard :p Who says you can't switch surfaces? :p

Johnny Groove
03-11-2013, 12:01 AM
congrats and welcome back :yeah:

btw did cilic play that tournament ?

samanosuke, one of my fave MTF trolls :wavey:

Yes, Cilic play in the tournament, and lose 1st round to 55 years old fat man 1-6 2-6 :lol:

The Prince
03-11-2013, 12:03 AM
JG, you mentioned the other day how you'd changed from being an all-return mug, to an all-serve mug. :p Obviously did you some good. ;)

samanosuke
03-11-2013, 12:07 AM
samanosuke, one of my fave MTF trolls :wavey:

Yes, Cilic play in the tournament, and lose 1st round to 55 years old fat man 1-6 2-6 :lol:

so unlucky, that 55 yo guy stole your first top 15 win

Kat_YYZ
03-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Congrats! :)

Johnny Groove
03-11-2013, 12:10 AM
JG, you mentioned the other day how you'd changed from being an all-return mug, to an all-serve mug. :p Obviously did you some good. ;)

I returned pretty well this weekend, but in the finals, I was up 6-0, 2-0, and hit 5 DF to give away the break :facepalm:

But I broke at 3-4 and served it out at 5-3, so I'd like to think I am an all-serve, all-return mug :D

so unlucky, that 55 yo guy stole your first top 15 win

The bastard :mad:

Congrats! :)

Thank you, Kat :wavey:

And worry not of the haters of Fed, even if Berdych owns him recently :hug:

Snowwy
03-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Congratulations on the win. :)

ProdigyEng
03-11-2013, 12:12 AM
Btw 2 months left to make the top 100 brother.

Johnny Groove
03-11-2013, 12:16 AM
Congratulations on the win. :)

Thanks, Snowwy :hatoff:

Btw 2 months left to make the top 100 brother.

In Florida, right? :D My opening post in this thread was a bit optimistic, even by my standards :p

My main long term goal right now is making the Olympics in 2016 in Brasil. Gotta be top 4 in USA, roughly top 50 in 174 weeks. It can be done :D

BroTree123
03-11-2013, 12:45 AM
Fuck yeah dude, I knew you had it in you. Congrats :aparty:

At this rate, you could put Shitsarevic in the trash can :yeah:

Johnny Groove
03-11-2013, 12:53 AM
Fuck yeah dude, I knew you had it in you. Congrats :aparty:

At this rate, you could put Shitsarevic in the trash can :yeah:

Brotree :yeah: :rocker2:

I'd like to think I can win 2 games vs. Gulbis :shrug:

ProdigyEng
03-11-2013, 12:55 AM
How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Andi-M
03-11-2013, 12:56 AM
Fantastic! Congratulations :D

Johnny Groove
03-11-2013, 12:57 AM
How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

23, my age in my profile is correct. I plan on playing until 38, 39, 40 :p

Fantastic! Congratulations :D

ProdigyEng
03-11-2013, 12:58 AM
23 not so bad if you start to really excel from here. I mean Mike Russell is experiencing his best years in his 30's.

GSMnadal
03-11-2013, 01:04 AM
Well, well, well who would've thought this after all the disappointments we got to read on here. Bloody well done, man. Hope this opens the floodgates.

Is it me or does your racquet head look freakishly small?

Johnny Groove
03-11-2013, 01:07 AM
Well, well, well who would've thought this after all the disappointments we got to read on here. Bloody well done, man. Hope this opens the floodgates.

Is it me or does your racquet head look freakishly small?

GSMNadal, what goes on, grasshoppah? I saw you trollin' in my absence :lol:

Yes, a lot of diappointments and finally a win, and yes, the floodgates hopefully will be open now. I feel like I had been pushing a rock up a hill for so long, for so many years, and now I've cleared it and the boulder is gathering speed downhill :D

My racquet is the Pro Staff 85 :p

VamosRafaNadal
03-11-2013, 01:12 AM

Thank you very much, as I'm seeing you are an appreciated user here... that's nice :) I'm quite new in this website and I didn't know you but I'm sure we will talk in another threads appart from that :D It is not easy to be a Rafa fan these days but after the european clay court season it will be different :lol:

Good luck to the next competitions.

gulzhan
03-11-2013, 02:25 AM
Congrats, Johnny! :kiss: May this be the first of many tournaments won! :rocker2: Good luck with the next one! Keep us posted, we believe in you! :wavey:

Blue Heart24
03-11-2013, 02:40 AM
I have to say that you were behaving quite idiotic back 6-7 years ago and you probably know that,no offence,but you're a good poster now and I think what you're doing here (playing tennis) is really great,and it seems that you definitely have the right approach to things.That's always nice to see,and good luck.

Grinder
03-11-2013, 06:30 AM
Not trying to be a dick but 4.0 is the level of a decent high school player. I've played and beaten 4.5-5.0's when I played regularly and I was never even considered for a D1 college scholarship. Getting to the level of even winning 1-2 rounds in a US futures event is probably a few years away for you.

That's not to say you can't make a living off tennis though. One of my good friends who's maybe a 5.5 at best nowadays but a guy I used to beat easily a few years ago is a full time instructor (mostly teaches kids) and makes around $55K a year. Keep on living the dream and good luck in your endeavors.

motorhead
03-11-2013, 07:07 AM
I saw a couple of your matches and you look promising man. keep it up.

Mae
03-11-2013, 07:14 AM
Go Johnny Go :cheerleader:

Roger the Dodger
03-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Congrats!

Since this hiatus from MTF did you good, my advice would be log in less, lurk more.

Good luck on the next one!

Litotes
03-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Go Johnny Go :cheerleader:

:)

wEn46Jy1B6k