2011 NCAA Tournament: USC Trojans take 3rd straight title with 4-3 win over UVA! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2011 NCAA Tournament: USC Trojans take 3rd straight title with 4-3 win over UVA!

out_here_grindin
05-03-2011, 02:28 AM
Everything you need right here. This has crept up on me, i for some reason thought the announcements would be made next week, but in fact will be tomorrow at 5:30 on ESPNEWS. This means I will be unable to do a bracketology mock bracket like I did last year. But I will have full breakdown once it it released tomorrow.

Bracket released (http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/tennis-men/d1/2011)

darklucia
05-04-2011, 12:37 AM
Bracket is out! Not sure if this link will work but it's up on the ITA website here (http://www.itatennis.com/AssetFactory.aspx?did=10423)

Will stare at this longer at some point but Washington plays Cal Poly first round and then possibly Stanford in the 2nd. Totally winnable section here if UW gets the doubles point...

Ozone
05-04-2011, 02:17 AM
every freaking time. come on ncaa.

Ozone
05-04-2011, 02:19 AM
Real talk, does Baylor have a shot at UVA? at all?

out_here_grindin
05-04-2011, 05:06 AM
The winner of Texas A&M/Stanford has a better shot. Stanford because they will be at home and A&M is more talented than Baylor

darklucia
05-04-2011, 05:51 AM
A&M is dangerous, considering how it looks like their top players are clicking now.

Does anyone predict any seed upsets? Minnesota over Cal maybe?

out_here_grindin
05-04-2011, 06:00 AM
Mississippi State over Georgia Tech. Oklahoma over Texas because its at OU. Illinois over UNC

I will have a full analysis soon. I just have to get through this week. Should be up by Friday

dunlopkickserve
05-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Nice to see My school Sacred Heart University making it :) kind of sucks that they have to play #1 seed Virginia in the first round though. Does anyone know if we will be able to watch the first round online?

out_here_grindin
05-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Nice to see My school Sacred Heart University making it :) kind of sucks that they have to play #1 seed Virginia in the first round though. Does anyone know if we will be able to watch the first round online?

The hosting schools will determine that. Only a few will have live video for their regional. Virginia does not offer that so you will be unable to watch Sacred Heart.

The schools that will provide live video are Texas A&M,Georgia,Stanford,Duke(have to pay for Duke's). That's all of the ones I know of that do live video. (So.Cal may, I'm not sure)

Once we get to one location with the final 16, everything will be streamed by Stanford(where the NCAA final 16 through final is held this year)

out_here_grindin
05-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Line-ups that the coaches submitted for the NCAA's (http://web1.ncaa.org/tennis/exec/lineup?doWhat=listing&sportCode=MTE&division=1&fromLink=Y)

Some teams have made some interesting changes.

-Florida put Slilam at 2 and moved Bangoura to 3.
-Oklahoma moves Siributwong to 5, even though he has played 3 or 4 all season.
-Ohio State puts Rola back at #1, moving Buchanan to 2
-Florida State moved Kelly-Houston to 3 which moved Smith and Davis each back a spot.

Cava
05-04-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm biased, but A&M sure got a bad draw. They are under-ranked at #9 to start with, surely b/c of a poor indoor season (A&M doesn't really have an indoor facility to start with).

Then they have to play host Stanford followed by #1 Virginia.
Would love to seem them square off w/ Virginia. I think they could put a scare into UVA but fall just short. A&M is playing really well at the moment. Did not drop a match in the Big 12 tournament.

Filo V.
05-05-2011, 12:45 AM
NCAA tournament, awesome! Hope the Cavs can get it done. They represent the state of VA proudly in tennis :)

out_here_grindin
05-05-2011, 01:21 AM
I'm biased, but A&M sure got a bad draw. They are under-ranked at #9 to start with, surely b/c of a poor indoor season (A&M doesn't really have an indoor facility to start with).

Would love to seem them square off w/ Virginia. I think they could put a scare into UVA but fall just short. A&M is playing really well at the moment. Did not drop a match in the Big 12 tournament.

A&M has really turned it on lately. Krajicek has found his gae again which has been key. I agree that there draw is really tough so that will probably hold them back. They have the talent to make a run to the fnal had they had an easier draw.

darklucia
05-05-2011, 07:45 PM
A&M was unlucky that Florida decided to have a great SEC tournament and that Baylor lost to Oklahoma in the Big 12 tournament (and A&M lost a chance to beat Baylor). If you look at the computer rankings for May 2, you see that Florida and A&M are very close.

1 80.33 University of Virginia
2 73.12 University of Southern California
3 71.35 University of Tennessee
4 70.85 Ohio State University
5 63.30 Baylor University
6 62.04 University of Georgia
7 60.26 Stanford University
8 58.27 University of Florida
9 58.13 Texas A&M University
10 56.75 University of Kentucky

Not to say that Florida doesn't deserve the #7 seed or anything, but A&M just needed to turn it on a little bit sooner.

Ozone
05-10-2011, 02:31 AM

A&M has really turned it on lately. Krajicek has found his gae again which has been key. I agree that there draw is really tough so that will probably hold them back. They have the talent to make a run to the fnal had they had an easier draw.
Guys, you have to think in perspective of the committee. Which means you have to think like a total f*cking retard. It should make sense when you get that mindset down

out_here_grindin
05-13-2011, 01:38 AM
here's a cool page of that covers all the stuff happening live (http://lateralsports.com/home/games/12)

my picks:

1 Virginia
Wake Forest

16 UNC
Illinois

8 Stanford
Washington

9 Texas A&M
LSU

4 Ohio State
Notre Dame

13 Texas
Oklahoma

5 Baylor
Texas Tech

12 UCLA
Ole Miss

11 Duke
Michigan

6 Georgia
Auburn

14 Cal
Minnesota

3 Tennessee
Vanderbilt

10 Kentucky
Louisville

7 Florida
Miami

15 Georgia Tech
Mississippi State

2 USC
San Diego

round of 16:
1 Virginia
Illinois
8 Stanford
9 Texas A&M
4 Ohio State
Oklahoma
5 Baylor
12 UCLA
11 Duke
6 Georgia
14 Cal
3 Tennessee
10 Kentucky
7 Florida
Mississippi State
2 USC

Quarters:
1 Virginia
8 Stanford
4 Ohio State
12 UCLA
6 Georgia
3 Tennessee
7 Florida
2 USC

semis:
1 Virginia
4 Ohio State
3 Tennessee
2 USC

final:
1 Virginia vs 2 USC

Champion:
Virginia

darklucia
05-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the link.

Michigan lost the doubles point. They will have to hope they have more depth to pull that one out.

darklucia
05-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Rice lost the doubles point, but they take the first set in the 3-6 singles matches vs Texas Tech.

darklucia
05-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Miami v Nebraska is tight right now, 3-2 Miami. If Nebraska pulls out the win on court #1 (up a break right now), it will come to court #5 where the third set has just started.

out_here_grindin
05-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Maryland beats Michigan 4-2. That surprises me. Michigan's 3-6 was really weak in the 2nd part of the year

darklucia
05-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Texas Tech wins 4-3 with #6 singles turning it around. Miami also 4-3 over Nebraska.

darklucia
05-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Indiana up 3-1 over LSU right now but LSU has the lead in the 3 remaining courts.

darklucia
05-13-2011, 09:59 PM
LSU wins 4-3.

Right now 2-2 between Minnesota and Fresno State with courts 1, 4, and 6 going to 3rd sets. I'm a little surprised that Minnesota is having issues with Fresno State since they were supposedly "hot".

out_here_grindin
05-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Fresno State has talent and are obviously more accustomed to the west coast courts. But its still a surprise.

Also the Sooners could be in for a battle after they drop the doubles point to Tulsa.

Ozone
05-13-2011, 10:20 PM
The Demon Deacons will shock the world Sunday and defeat Virginia

out_here_grindin
05-13-2011, 10:28 PM
The Demon Deacons will shock the world Sunday and defeat Virginia

Wake gave them one of their biggest scares of the year in the season. Wolff nearly beat Domijan. However I expect UVA to come out focused and more ready. 4-1 or 4-0

darklucia
05-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Well there goes Minnesota...

darklucia
05-14-2011, 12:56 AM
Tulsa beats Oklahoma 4-2

Pigpen Stinks
05-14-2011, 01:09 AM
Vandy was without their #1, Lipman, in today's loss to VA Tech. Of course, no mention why in the recap of the match.

Filo V.
05-14-2011, 03:29 AM
I'm upset that VCU got beaten so badly :sad:

But hopefully UVA avenges the defeat and beats the Deacons! They have such a solid team.

out_here_grindin
05-14-2011, 04:12 AM
Oklahoma peaked in the Big 12 tourney it seems. Tulsa took it to them, very dissapointing loss for last year's quarterfinalists.

Minnesota had a great year despite the dissapointing loss to Fresno State.

Fresno and Tulsa showing that there is talent outside the big conferences. Good wins for both those programs.

out_here_grindin
05-14-2011, 04:31 AM
A lot of the matches tomorrow could be tougher tussels than expected. There will be one major uspet. Maybe Auburn over Georgia or Washingotn or Stanford. The favored teams will have to bring their A game because there are a lot of danegrous teams. LSU is no pushiver, nor is Lousiville.

darklucia
05-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Illinois takes the doubles point over UNC in a tiebreak.

Tulsa takes doubles over Texas.

darklucia
05-15-2011, 12:17 AM
Illinois wins 4-1. Texas fights to even it at 3-3 after being down 3-1 but ultimately loses.

Fresno State gets the doubles point against Cal.

darklucia
05-15-2011, 01:00 AM
Kentucky gets by Louisville 4-3. Virginia wins 4-1 with Drew Courtney losing to Adam Lee. Baylor 4-1 over Texas Tech. Washington lost the doubles point and is probably headed to a 4-0 or 4-1 loss unless something drastic happens.

Ozone
05-15-2011, 03:11 AM
Actually a great effort by the Deacs without Atkinson. It's disappointing to see the great career of Jon Wolff end with a 7-5 3rd set loss at #1 to Shabaz, but great effort. Future looks good with Lee winning and Probakar and Hopkins taking sets.

out_here_grindin
05-15-2011, 05:53 PM
some great matches yesterday. Great effort by Tulsa to beat Oklahoma and Texas on consecutive days. fresno State came very close to beating Cal as well.

Virginia does suddenly look less invincible. In fact Texas A&M might be playing the best out of anyone in the country right now.

Tennessee seems to have found their groove once again. Cal will be tough though, they had a tough fight with Fresno State but are still dangerous.

Duke and Georgia is one of the highlight matches. Very interesting and unique matchup. 50/50

Also I think Florida should beat Kentucky.

I have a feeling UCLA will edge Baylor as well.

darklucia
05-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Round of 16 tomorrow!

I agree that Duke v Georgia and UCLA v Baylor will be great matches, and I expect Stanford v Texas A&M to be epic. Those two teams seem so similar in my mind. Cal might beat Tennessee if the top of Tennessee isn't firing. Illinois might be playing better now than in the middle of the season, but Virginia will most likely take the doubles and not lose (yet).

I hope Tulsa can give Ohio State a good fight. I haven't seen Tulsa play at all but they definitely had good wins last weekend.

out_here_grindin
05-19-2011, 12:55 AM
there will be two matches at noon,3,6,9 tomorrow. All with live video for all 6 courts. Meaning you can watch one particular match all the way through or change to tight moments in any of the 6 matches going on in either dual match.
live video link. (http://www.streamingtennis.com/Cardinal/) Everything you need is in this link. Live Scoreboard and the ability to switch which match you are watching at lightning speed.

here is tomorrow's schedule: (eastern times)

noon: 6 Georgia vs 11 Duke and 3 Tennessee vs 14 Cal
3 pm: 2 Southern Cal vs 15 Georgia Tech and 7 Florida vs 10 Kentucky
6 pm: 4 Ohio State vs Tulsa and 5 Baylor vs 12 UCLA
9 pm: 1 Virginia vs Illinois and 8 Stanford vs 9 Texas A&M

Previews:

Sweet 16:

1 Virginia vs Illinois 9pm est
1: 5 Michael Shabaz vs 15 Dennis Nevolo - Nevolo can beat anyone when on his game, shown by his bageling of a few of the top players in a 3rd set. Shabaz is hungry, he really wants this title for the Cavs, to cap off his career. This will be a great match.

2: 2 Alex Domijan vs KU Singh - Domijan should roll past the dissapointing Singh, who was hyped coming in but has done little this year.

3: 34 Sanam Singh vs 122 Roy Kalmanovic

4: 56 Jarmere Jenkins vs 81 Abe Souza

5: 39 Drew Courtney vs 104 Johnny Hamui - There is a question iof Courtney will play or not because of a foot injury. He may play doubles only then UVA would but Shane into this spot.

6: Justin Shane vs Bruno Abdelnour - Uriguen will play here for UVA iff Courtney sits it out.

Overall Virginia should win this match. Illinois posted a nice win over UNC to make it here and UVA has been less dominant toward the end of the year than they were early. If Illinois takes doubles it could get tight.

8 Stanford vs 9 Texas A&M 9pm est
1: 9 Bradley Klahn vs 17 Austin Krajicek - Both players are in good form.

2: 46 Ryan Thacher vs 31 Jeff Dadamo - This match will favor Dadamo as Thacher has been off lately.

3: 71 Alex Clayton vs Alexei Grigorov

4: 119 Dennis Lin vs 94 Alexis Klegou

5: Matt Kandath vs Colin Hoover

6: Daniel Ho vs Junior Ore

There are some injury questions at the bottom for both teams which creates the Ho vs Ore match, neither player with much experience.

Texas A&M is on fire and playing the best off anyone in the nation right now. They have talent throughout the line-up, shown by one of the top Freshman coming in to the season, Ore, only playing 6. But this is on Stanford's fabled courts. Just hoe much will home court advantage be worth? Match of the day that should go down to the wire. A&M has the advantage at 2,4,6. Stanford has teh edge at 1,3,5.

4 Ohio State vs Tulsa 6 pm

1: 4 Blaz Rola vs 27 Marcelo Arevalo

2: 10 Chase Buchanan vs 62 Japie De Klerk

3: 107 Ille Van Engelen vs 88 Ashley Watling

4: 50 Matt Allare vs 99 Clifford Marshall

5: 65 Devin McCarthy vs Grant Ive

6: 111 Balazs Novak vs Tristan Jackson

Titanic effort from Tulsa to even get here. They went into Norman,OK and beat Oklahoma and Texas. De Klerk and Arevalo have both played great lately. But Ohio State will be too strong, they are favored at every line except #3(Van Engelen is Ohio State's built in stacker).

5 Baylor vs 12 UCLA

1: 19 John Peers vs 37 Daniel Kosakowski - Kosahowski is playing really well and is better than his rank. He will be a top 15 player next year. I expect him to beat Peers

2: 68 Sergio Ramirez vs 58 Amit Inbar

3: Jordan Rux vs 79 Clay Thompson

4: 102 Roberto Maytin vs 103 Adrien Puget - Puget went on a run in the Pac 10 singles tournament, but lost to Ole miss #4 in UCLA's last match.

5: 97 Kike Grangeiro vs Holden Seguso - Seguso was the hero vs Ole Miss. Will he be drained or ready to go even more?

6: Julian Bley vs Maxime Tabatruong

These two met in the regular season and UCLA won 4-3, but that was before Baylor was in stride. Plus only Peers vs Kosakowski will be a rematch from last time, as the line-ups have changed for both teams since the 1st meeting. This will go down to the wire.

Cava
05-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the link. Today I'm picking UVA/OSU/STAN/UCLA/DUKE/UK/UT/USC.

I think Baylor has reverted to early season form so UCLA takes them out in surprisingly easy fashion.

A&M makes me nervous w/ doubles. #2 hasn't been playing well so I think they have to win #1/#3 to take doubles. Predicting a loss of doubles point. Then I agree w/ your singles breakdown. 4-3 Stanford :sad:

out_here_grindin
05-19-2011, 08:47 PM
First result of the day is in

6 Georgia def 11 Duke 4-1

UGA took the doubles point

1: Spencer def Cunha 6-4 6-3 - Dissapointing match from Cunha, represented the team effort.
2: unfinished
3: Mengel def Doumbia 6-2 6-4 - Impressive win from the Duke Freshman, but didn't matter in the end.
4: Bernstein def Saba 6-4 6-4
5: unfinished
6: Pieters def Marchesse 4-6 6-3 6-2 - Pieters has played great since moving from 5 to 6. This was the clinching match

darklucia
05-19-2011, 10:03 PM
I was surprised by how many returns and first balls Cunha was missing. From what I watched, Cunha's serve was going to deuce a lot while he didn't make much of a dent in Spencer's service games.

The only big surprise in Tennessee vs Cal was Conkic/Smith losing to Andrews/Konigsfeldt at number one doubles.

Luinir
05-20-2011, 01:45 AM
i'm watching rola-aravelo match (thanks to out here grinding, he sent to me pm :))

this aravelo guy has really big heart. he isn't any special but really great fighter. tulsa will lose the series likely but he's going to win his match against #4 just right now. takes the first set 6-4.

out_here_grindin
05-20-2011, 03:05 AM
Arevalo has played davis cup for El Salvador before.

I am dissapointed in Stanford's coverage right now. The scores for Baylor/UCLA aren't showing up. They need to get it together.

Luinir
05-20-2011, 05:12 AM
omg, what a tie between baylor and ucla. tie was 3-3 and grangeir-seguso went to the third set breaker. seguso had 4mps at 6-4, 6-5, 7-6 and 8-7 and missed them with ues. at 9-8 grangeir had his first mp and took it. that was way dramatic. seguso was in tears badly at the end.

out_here_grindin
05-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Seguso blew it. Kosakowski was in position to beat Peers as well at #1, but as it is Baylor moves on. Seguso was a senior as well, so that's his last college match. Pretty sad.

Stanford def Texas A&M 4-2. Really bad effort from A&M's top 3 players, all seniors and all faded in the 2nd set. Throwing away the clutch doubles point win. We will see how much the home crowd helps Stanford vs Virginia(currently pasting Illinois)

darklucia
05-20-2011, 07:03 AM
Stanford's live video is not liking me at the moment. Still, it's better than getting no coverage at all.

Cava
05-20-2011, 02:29 PM
A&M :sad:

Best team they've had in a long time and crap the bed.
Next year will be rebuilding.

out_here_grindin
05-21-2011, 04:07 AM
schedule tomorrow:

3 pm: 3 Tennessee vs 6 Georgia and 2 USC vs 10 Kentucky
7 pm: 1 Virginia vs 9 Stanford and 4 Ohio State vs 5 Baylor

i'll have full previews up tomorrow

out_here_grindin
05-21-2011, 04:11 AM
A&M :sad:

Best team they've had in a long time and crap the bed.
Next year will be rebuilding.

They got a rough draw. They really should have been the 7 seed and played Kentucky which they would have won. They will be rebuilding but also have a ton of talent in the Freshman class and coming in. They will be back in just 2 years

darklucia
05-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Actually, Stanford was the 8 seed and A&M the 9 seed in the draw.

I think all the matches have the potential to be very tight. Tennessee and Georgia should be a war. I'm not sure which Baylor will show up but they definitely can beat OSU. Virginia vs Stanford will have a great matchup in doubles and at #1 singles. USC vs Kentucky will also have an interesting matchup between Steve Johnson and Eric Quigley.

out_here_grindin
05-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Very tight doubles in both Kentucky vs USC and UGA vs Tennessee right now

Luinir
05-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Kentucky vs USC doubles got really tight, fun to watch. Why they don't use ballboys?

Luinir
05-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Kentucky 0-1 USC
Georgia 0-1 Tennessee

Luinir
05-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Steve Johnson is a very solid player. He should play full time on ATP tour.

Luinir
05-21-2011, 11:19 PM
USC def. Kentucky 4-1

Smoke944
05-21-2011, 11:32 PM
Tenn-Georgia coming down to 1 singles. Great stuff.

Luinir
05-21-2011, 11:37 PM
OMG, Smith...

Smoke944
05-21-2011, 11:38 PM
OMG, Smith...

I wasn't paying attention did he puke everywhere? :lol:

Luinir
05-21-2011, 11:39 PM
I wasn't paying attention did he puke everywhere? :lol:

Yeah, when he was waiting for serve. :eek:

Smoke944
05-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Great saved break point by Spencer and now Smith his not feeling great :lol:

Luinir
05-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Georgia def. Tennessee 4-3

Spencer won the final set 7-5, got lucky there.

Smoke944
05-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Yeah, Smith was completely gassed by the end. Plenty of grueling rallies in that match.

Luinir
05-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Shabaz v Klahn is starting on court #1.

Should be high quality match. Two ATP level players.

Luinir
05-22-2011, 02:42 AM
Klahn def. Shabaz 6-4 6-2

Shabaz was awful, especially in the second set.

The tie got tight now. Virginia leads 3-2 against Stanford.

Luinir
05-22-2011, 03:21 AM
Virginia def. Stanford 4-3

Another nice tie, the last match was very close between Singh and Clayton. Singh won it in the third, 6-3.

Clayton has nice serve and grondstrokes but Singh is one hell of a pusher. Very similar to Devvarman.

Luinir
05-22-2011, 03:44 AM
Ohio St. 2-2 Baylor

out_here_grindin
05-22-2011, 03:48 AM
What drama today and not over yet as Baylor and Ohio State are locked in a battle.

Tennessee ends the season on a dissapointing note. Williams,Smith are liekly leaving so they will be down next year.

Great effort from Singh in front of an extremely hostile crowd.

I was shocked at hoe easily Shabaz and Domijan were handled. That is Domijan's 1st dual match lost this season

Luinir
05-22-2011, 04:01 AM
Ohio St. def. Baylor 4-2

They were almost choking but got the job done at the end. They have no chance against Virginia in my opinion, though.

Luinir
05-22-2011, 04:03 AM
Virginia v Ohio St.
South Ca. v Georgia

Virginia in 5, Georgia in 6.

darklucia
05-22-2011, 04:33 AM
I didn't watch today but wished I could have.

Virginia crushed Ohio State at the ITA Indoors and I have no reason to believe Shabaz and Domijan will lose two duals in a row, so that one should go to Virginia.

Between USC and Georgia, I think USC have the edge in doubles which may win it for them. USC is definitely vulnerable at #2 and #3 singles but strong at #1, #4, #5. I suck at predicting #6 singles matches so no idea about that... This should be a very competitive semi.

Smoke944
05-22-2011, 06:52 AM
Wow, so Virginia barely escaped....
Good matchups tomorrow.

Ozone
05-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Interesting scores in the quarters. I kind of feel bad for Smith, one of the non-abnoxious Vols. Georgia is so tough in May. Very surprised with Virginia's scores. I kind of thought some of those matches would have been the opposite. Looks like the Cavs are still tight in the tourney.

USC-Georgia will be a great matchup. I'll take the Dogs 4-3
Virginia 4-1 over OSU

out_here_grindin
05-23-2011, 03:47 AM
Check these out. Great highlights. Comments from UVA's coach and players with high quality video(much better quality than the live streams and great camera angles)

Very good video quality highlights of Virginia vs Stanford (http://www.virginiasportstv.com/?load=tennismen&v=3519&f=.mov)

out_here_grindin
05-23-2011, 04:18 AM
http://www.nedgallagher.com/journal/images/UVaLogo.jpg vs. http://images.free-extras.com/pics/o/ohio_state_buckeyes-837.gif

1: Shabaz vs Rola 70/30
2: Domijan vs Buchanan 85/15 Can't see Domijan losing two straight
3: Singh vs Van Engelen 95/5 Van Engelen is a weak #3
4: Jenkins vs Allare 60/40
5: Shane vs McCarthy 35/65
6: Uriguen vs Novak 40/60

Bacially Ohio State needs to doubles point. They have good depth and good strength at top. Signifcantly weak at numer 3 however.

http://www.espnnorthwest.com/media/photologue/photos/trojans.jpg vs. http://www.dawgwear.net/Merchant5/graphics/00000001/vendors2/fantastic_gr/UGA_JUMBO_BULLDOG_CAR_MAGNET_lg.gif

1: Johnson vs Spencer 90/10
2: Poldma vs Garrapiz 30/70
3: Nguyen vs Doumbia 25/75
4: Sarmiento vs Bernstein 65/35
5: Gomez vs Taboada
6: Luccassen vs Pieters 40/60

USC has not played many tough opponents this year and has had a relatively easy road to the seminfinals. Georgia is more battle tested but could also be beat up. Will be on a razor's edge.

darklucia
05-23-2011, 08:56 PM
USC takes the doubles point.

out_here_grindin
05-23-2011, 09:36 PM
we have ourselves a match. Ohio State wins the doubles point. UVA better be ready to fight hard now.

Johnson already won the 1st set vs Spencer 6-0

darklucia
05-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Wow, a double bagel by Steve Johnson.

darklucia
05-23-2011, 10:19 PM
Medical time out on court 5 of USC v Georgia.

Is Georgia suffering from fatigue maybe after their big win over Tennessee? Hope they can dig deep and bring more of a fight since they are down on every court but #2.

darklucia
05-23-2011, 10:45 PM
4-0 USC. Nice to see that Nguyen took the match on his first match point.

out_here_grindin
05-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Shabaz def Rola 6-4 6-4
Domijan def Buchanan 6-2 6-2

UVA leads 2-1.

Key development, Jenkins fails to close out Allare on 4 and is now headed to 3 sets. Would have given UVA a big 3-1 lead

darklucia
05-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Jenkins regroups and UVA wins 4-2.

Luinir
05-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Virginia vs. USC in the final.

out_here_grindin
05-24-2011, 05:41 PM
The war is today at 3(good time because Roland Garros will be wrapping up for the day).

USc going for their 3rd straight title. Virginia looking for their 1st.

Doubles will be key. Both teams have very strong doubles teams. I give the slight edge to Virginia in doubles.

singles breakdown:

1. Shabaz vs Johnson - Johnson is a man amongst boys at this point. beating Spencer 6-0 6-0 was the most impressive win I have seen in a long while in college tennis. He is abusing opponents lately. Shabaz has the game to challeneg Johnson. Shabaz is not as consistent, but he will not be destroyed and it is importnat that he give a competitive effort. Johnson smoking him would give momentum to the whole team and set the tone. Pick: Johnson

2. Domijan vs Poldma - Poldma has been on a slide recently. Can he bring his A game to the table to bother Domijan? He will have to. I expect Domijan to roll up Poldma today. Pick: Domijan

3. Singh vs Nguyen - Match of the day. Two very clutch seniors who have given much to their teams. Nguyen clinched the title last year for USC, Singh has clinched the last two matches for UVA to advance this far. This will be a battle and if I had to choose to only watch one it would be this battle. Pick: Nguyen

4. Jenkins vs Sarmiento - Another very close tie. Both are very close in skill and experience. Jenkins has a bigger serve but Sarmiento is a better pure ball striker. I give a slight edge to Jenkins. pick: Jenkins

5. Shane vs Gomez - Shane has now lost the last two matches in the NCAA tournament. He has yet to show he can step up in the big time. Gomez is an ATP experienced player and has largely been dissapointing overall this season. Pick: Gomez

6: Uriguen vs Lucasen - These two played last year when UVA played USC in the semifinals. Lucassen won 6-2 6-3. I don't expect much to change. Uriguen may be a better player now but there is still the matchup issue. Pick: Lucassen

USC wins 4-3 in a very close match.

out_here_grindin
05-24-2011, 08:59 PM
USC dominates the doubles point. UVA better change the momentum. They look intimidated thus far

darklucia
05-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Doubles point to USC. I think they have not lost a dual match this year in which they have won the doubles point.

Ozone
05-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Loving the espnu coverage. Trouble brewing for the Cavs. USC is outplaying them for the most part so far

out_here_grindin
05-24-2011, 09:59 PM
Poldma is shockingly ahead vs Domijan

straitup
05-24-2011, 10:35 PM
^^^ And now it's all even in sets and 2-2...this Poldma guy looks pretty solid

Luinir
05-24-2011, 10:57 PM
USC got the 3-0 lead.

Now, Domijan won. It is 3-1.

Luinir
05-24-2011, 11:04 PM
3-2 now.

straitup
05-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Nguyen is 1 game away from wrapping it up for the Trojans...

Luinir
05-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Nguyen serving for the championship. Singh saved a match point.

Luinir
05-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Jenkins won, 3-0 to 3-3.

out_here_grindin
05-24-2011, 11:23 PM
all down to the two most clutch players in college tennis

straitup
05-24-2011, 11:23 PM
Nguyen is getting super tight after not breaking - probably realizing the enormity of this match

out_here_grindin
05-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Nguyen is the aggressor all the way here. Can he keep hitting his shots?

Hard to watch this. I really like both players. can't imagine the stress

straitup
05-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Singh is playing some consistent stuff for sure, really making Nguyen earn it - great return there

Luinir
05-24-2011, 11:28 PM
Singh breaks, amazing. *4-5 in the final set.

straitup
05-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Nice dive shot by Nguyen :eek:

out_here_grindin
05-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Singh is down. becomes agressor. Wow

straitup
05-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Tense rally to end it but USC wins 4-3

Luinir
05-24-2011, 11:33 PM
USC def. Virginia 4-3

Epic tie!

out_here_grindin
05-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Once again Virginia fails to deliver a championship despite being the #1 seed. Nguyen delivers again in the clutch. The key was how badly USC won doubles. I had the match pegged nearly exactly right, I had Uriguen losing at 6 and UVA taking doubles but everything else was correct.

This one really hurts for UVA. Shabaz and Singh leave on sour notes.

darklucia
05-25-2011, 12:06 AM
Congrats USC and glad to see that Nguyen pulled that out.

Luinir
05-25-2011, 12:56 AM
Thanks to all people who helping me about college tennis, espcially out_here_grinding :) It was fantastic tournament. I'll follow college tennis next year definitely!

out_here_grindin
05-25-2011, 01:10 AM
It's not over just yet. The individual tournament starts tomorrow. I will post a thread about that soon. It's not as good as team play but still interesting.

out_here_grindin
05-25-2011, 05:11 AM
USC players' thoughts on the match

vGwpKncca3Y&feature=player_embedded#at=65