Who is Andy's Closest Rival? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who is Andy's Closest Rival?

tangerine_dream
10-01-2004, 05:25 PM
I'm bored and it's Friday, so I decided to make a poll. :)

Simple question: Who do you think is Andy's closest rival?

By rival, I'm not talking about ownership. I'm talking about the players who match up so well with Andy that most of their matches could go either way.

The media talks up a rivalry between Andy and Roger, but there seems to be a more interesting rivalry developing between the likes of Andy and Marat, and Andy and Tommy.

What do you all think? I added Andy's match stats next to each players' name. You can vote for more than one. :)

Deboogle!.
10-01-2004, 05:33 PM
hm...interesting discussion :yeah:

I'd say Henman - their matches have all had tiebreaks, and the three andy lost were a match with 2 TBs and the other two matches Andy had match points. It's that classic matchup I think.

Lleyton - classic power attacker vs. good returner/counterpuncher, I think their matches will always be close

Marat - their games just match up pretty well. I think if both of them are playing their absolute best, their matches could go either way

I'll think of some more :)

edit: Oh I see you made me choose, well thanks for allowing multiple options. I picked Tim, Marat, Lleyton, and David :)

MisterQ
10-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Agassi clearly "owns" Roddick for now, but his matches with Andy have turned out to be remarkably entertaining. Although Andre has the obvious lead at 5-1, their matches of the last two years have been nail-bitingly close. It could easily be 6-0 in Andre's favor, or tied evenly 3-3.

Fumus
10-01-2004, 06:28 PM
eh...Andy's biggest rival has always been himself...accept when he plays Rogi.

Havok
10-01-2004, 06:46 PM
WTF is Nadal doing there?:bigcry:

anyways I voted for Henman (2 of henman's wins he had to save a matchpoint), Hewitt (simply because his game is ideal when playing an Andy that's just a bit off), Agassi and Safin (both can hit Andy off the court, but Andy can do the same to them. all depends on who has their head on straight in big points), Nalbandian (though David has to be at 100% health to have a shot) and also Haas (his game can frustrate Andy, especially on clay).

I'm so pissed that I have yet to see a Roddick/Haas match:( Their Cincinnati match I didn't get, neither did I get their Olympics match.:fiery:

tangerine_dream
10-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Naldo, who would suggest I replace Nadal with? I think Nadal and Andy would be a good match-up because Nadal now knows what he's getting into when he plays Andy. That first set bagel at USO was, IMO, a fluke. Nadal was nervous and had never faced a 150-mph serve before. Once he got settled he played a lot better in the later sets. He's got a lot of fire like Andy does. When Nadal hits his 20s, all that fire fighting with fire will be an explosive combination. ;)

Havok
10-01-2004, 07:02 PM
I would go with Joachim Johansson. Not just because he beat Andy at the USO, but his game is a mirror image of Andy (though Andy's game is better well-rounded). Joachim will never try to add safety to his shots imo, so that constant heat he gets from pimPim can cause some major threats to Andy.

tangerine_dream
10-01-2004, 07:08 PM
Pim-Pim would be a good choice. Unfortunately, I can only fit ten names on this list.

And for those who are wondering why I included Moya, it's because Andy's matches with Moya have been hotly contested where everything came down to who was mentally stronger than the other. If Moya ever gets past his issue of choking against Andy, he could be a very big problem for him. (for that reason alone, the DC final in Spain will have an added bit of interest to it)

RodFan08
10-01-2004, 07:24 PM
eh...Andy's biggest rival has always been himself...accept when he plays Rogi.

U can say that about Marat, but not Andy. Even if Andy's playing great, I still think he can be beaten if the other one on the other side of the net is Marat,Tommy or Henman. If all these guys are playing at their highest level against Andy, I think these 3 are his closest rivals.

superpinkone37
10-02-2004, 01:45 AM
no i think you can say that about andy too. when he loses matches he should have won, then its his own fault.

ataptc
10-02-2004, 03:01 AM
hmmm tim, andre and marat.. most of the matches they have played were close

superpinkone37
10-02-2004, 04:56 AM
i voted tommy, i dunno why, i guess hes the one andy has had some tough matches with recently.

heya
10-02-2004, 07:58 AM
I might be the only one who believes that he rarely plays seriously, aggressively & disciplined enough to be a "rival."
I seems like he started over again as a 19 year old.
He forgot what it was like to fight hard all the time.

Ancic matches : Queen's Club- Andy lost the 2nd set 'cuz he couldn't reach the ball that bounced off the net.
Wimbledon: Andy had a 4-3 lead in the 2nd set, but he didn't want to concentrate during the rain delays. He usually chokes when he has to wait in the rain.

Ever since 2001, Andy didn't really take matches with Moya, Agassi, Haas, Federer, Henman, Safin & Schuttler seriously. Maybe that's why none of them is overly impressed with his game & personality.

They think he's 1-dimensional, childish & easily beatable 'cuz Andy was always overreacting in most their matches.
I'm wondering if Andy'll change his game to win as much as possible.
I hope he knows he has to worry about himself, not about having a sympathetic image.

Unfortunately, I've a feeling that he'll injure himself 'cuz everyone wants him to have a stupid 160 mph serve & harder ball smashing.

He's doomed if this is all he cares about. It's exhausting & foolish to play like this.
Andy's insecurity & negative attitude on the court will make it impossible to compete at a top 5 level.
IMO, he'll be forced to retire in 5-7 years with only 1-2 more slams.

Safin Is God
10-02-2004, 08:40 AM
I say Marat. http://boxmail.biz/constructor/img/142314.jpg

star
10-02-2004, 01:21 PM
:haha:

I was just going to post that in the bizarre and funny thread. I think I will anyway.

I'm not sure if Sabb99 made it or someone else made it but it is SO funny. It made me laugh a lot this morning.

PinkFeatherBoa
10-02-2004, 02:15 PM
:lol: That image is funny.

Anyway I voted for Tim, Tommy and Marat- these matchups always seem to me that they can go either way, and I feel that helps make up a rivalry.

superpinkone37
10-02-2004, 04:38 PM
lol i saw that picture yesterday, too too funny :lol:

Mr. Man
10-03-2004, 04:47 AM
Defintely Robredo.

Uhhhhhhh... I would say Haas. I dont know.

tangerine_dream
10-05-2004, 03:59 PM
I guess we can now officially chuck out the Roger-Andy rivalry (although Roger tends to play his best when he's up against Andy; with most other players he's on a cruise control) because it would appear we have a new one: Andy-Marat. These two are in a dead heat and most of their matches have been close and hard-fought; all matches were on hard surface.

Los Angeles, Hard, R32
Safin won 3-6 4-6

Australian Open, Hard, Q
Safin won 6-2 3-6 5-7 7-6 4-6

Indian Wells TMS, Hard, R32
Roddick won 7-6 6-2

Bangkok, Hard, S
Roddick won 7-6 6-7 7-6

Hippo man must now be re-thinking what he originally said about Andy earlier in 2004 when the only Andy he knew was the 2001 version. ;) Actually, Marat admitted in an interview at USO this year that he believed Andy was very talented. But Marat's mind is all over the place; one day he trashes you, the next he praises you. :lol:

I'd like to know what some of the Hippo fans think of this budding rivalry between Marat and Andy. :)

MisterQ
10-05-2004, 04:01 PM
yes, in light of their most recent match, Safin seems like a good candidate.

alfonsojose
10-05-2004, 04:17 PM
Donald duck ? :angel:

kyki84
10-05-2004, 04:38 PM
I think Andre, because there are such great matches, Cincinatti semis, was just one of the best matches of 2004

superpinkone37
10-06-2004, 02:44 AM
yes, in light of their most recent match, Safin seems like a good candidate.

i agree. :) especially now with that match just this past weekend, it seems like all their matches are incredibly close, and could be an awesome rivalry