How long does it take to write down a post for you? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How long does it take to write down a post for you?

Nadull_tard
04-25-2011, 07:30 PM
This question is adressed to people who don't use English as their first language.
I mean, do you actually think and write simultaneously, or do you need some time to translate some sentences or phrases from your primal language( as I do) to make yourself clear for the others?

Discuss.

Or Levy
04-25-2011, 08:08 PM
No, usually when I write in English I think in English, I don't translate from Hebrew - but that depends. On the tennis topics, I definitely think directly in English, I watch tennis in English, the tennis-related expressions which I use are in English - heck, when I play tennis myself, I use 'serve', 'forehand' and 'backhand' in my mind, and not the Hebrew words.

However, on political topics, it is a bit more challenging. For starters - sometimes I need to recheck spelling of names and places. Secondly - sometimes there are words which are very specific to Hebrew and there are no fitting English equivalents. For example, in Hebrew there is a singular word for an act of terrorism which is a general name for a car bomb, suicide bomber or a shooting incident. In English there is none. (Other than 'an act of terrorism'). I sometime need that word! Whenever I need to use that word (for example), it makes me pause and think about the proper translation.

So, political topics can be more difficult, when I think politics I usually think in Hebrew and translate a bit more - but on other topics - nope, I think and write quite easily in English. I'm sure I have the occasional grammar/spelling mistake, especially when I'm in a hurry, but I feel pretty confident.

GlennMirnyi
04-25-2011, 08:26 PM
English is natural to me. I don't feel like it's a second language to me at all. Therefore, I write my posts also very naturally.

Nadull_tard
04-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Well, it must be great to be able to do this at the same time, personally I struggle with the language barrier often, sometimes I have serious problems with expressing myself, but I associate this with the fact that I've never been to an english-speaking country and I didn't have an opportunity to talk with people in english. I'm planning to visit my aunt in Canada this year and I hope it will be a sort of a breakthrough for me in this department.

Everko
04-25-2011, 08:33 PM
I make my post in English first. Actually this forum has greatly increased my english skills since I was before I started here.

br.w
04-25-2011, 08:55 PM
I just write naturally. As I like the language i allways do things to improve my skills in English