2011 ACC Tournament [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2011 ACC Tournament

out_here_grindin
04-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Starts this Thursday April 21 and runs through Sunday the 24th.

Here is the ACC headquarters (http://www.theacc.com/championships/11-tennis-championship.html)

full analysis of the tournament and live updates will be available in this thread the next few days

darklucia
04-19-2011, 01:17 AM
Is the tournament always this early?

Too bad your team and Ozone's team are going against each other in the first round.

Pirata.
04-19-2011, 07:55 PM
I thought this was a thread for MTF's ACC Tournament and got excited :lol:

out_here_grindin
04-19-2011, 09:27 PM
haha, no in this case it stands for Atlantic Coast Conference

out_here_grindin
04-21-2011, 01:27 AM
8 FSU vs 9 Maryland - FSU won 4-3 during the season and should beat the Terps again. Mirzedeh and Bowles at the top are too strong for Maryland.

5 Georgia Tech vs 12 BC - Jackets east

7 Wake vs 10 Clemson- I don't like this matchup. We lost to Wake 6-1 during the year but maybe we can do better if we shuffle the line-up. Last time we player Pietrucha at 6 which is a big mistake. Wake has flipped Wolff and Carleton at the top of their line-up which will change things. If we get doubles we have a shot.

6 Virginia Tech vs 11 NC State - Wolfpack actually won 5-2 during the season. But I expect VT to win the rematch. If Somen can take care of Pulgar then the Hokies will win.

byes
1 Virginia
2 UNC
3 Duke
4 Miami

Virginia is by far the favorite here. Duke is the 2nd best despite having the 3 seed, UNc can't beat Duke twice. We are looking at a Virginia vs Duke final.

If Clemson were to upset Wake it would be huge. We are currently 59th and Wake is 32nd. A win would move us up and then we would face #15 UNc who we just barely lost to 4-3 in the season. We need to pull our ranking into the 4--44 range to have a shot at the NCaa tournament. Which is why a win over Vt would have been so big.

darklucia
04-21-2011, 04:07 AM
I pretty much agree with all your picks. I don't see anyone beating UVA but maybe Duke or UNC could make it an interesting final.

out_here_grindin
04-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Rain delay has pushed everything back, we are still on the 9 am matches.

Maryland just took doubles from FSU. Collins/Horny upset the #12 dubs team in the bation Mirzadeh and Smitih. Maryland should win now, unless the bottom of FSU's line-up can respond.Live stats (http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-tennis/spec-rel/fsu-m-tennis-live-updates-09fsumaryland.html)

Boston College is actually giving Georgia Tech a tougher time than they probably anticipated. Muppidi took the 1st set from Gomez 6-4(Gomez went 10-1 in ACC play this year)

-update: FSU was looking in control on 5 of the 6 singles courts, but Collins swooped in and stole the 1st set from Bowles 7-5 at #2. Maryland now leading on 3 courts. This match will go down to the wire.

out_here_grindin
04-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Maryland steals a 4-2 win over FSU. Courts 5 and 6 were wrapped up for the Terps.

Clemson vs Wake Forest about to start. Line-ups out
1. DiFazio vs Wolff
2. Y.Maden vs Carleton
3. Galloway vs Atkinson
4. Meza vs Kreyman
5. D.Maden vs Hopkins
6. Rigsby vs Lee

all unique matches expect court 5, from the last time these two teams met.

BrunoBeidacki
04-21-2011, 07:42 PM
nice job Maryland. Will Cunha play for Duke?

out_here_grindin
04-21-2011, 08:10 PM
He sure will. Cunha is not as dominant as he was last year but he has beaten Shabaz.

BrunoBeidacki
04-22-2011, 01:49 AM
He sure will. Cunha is not as dominant as he was last year but he has beaten Shabaz.

Thanks for the information!

I'll do a exchange program to USA this year. I'm going in August and i will play the national High School championship. It's to difficult play in a university after?

darklucia
04-22-2011, 04:22 AM
What happened to FSU/V-tech's 3rd singles? To be finished tomorrow?

out_here_grindin
04-22-2011, 03:55 PM
well if the match is already decided(when 1 team gets 4 points) they abandon the match.

Matches had to be moved to Duke indoors today due to a lot of rain.

Virginia barely eeks out the doubles point vs Maryland. That shoudl cruch Maryland's spirit.

Miami vs GT is underway, that will be a good one.

Ozone
04-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Nice Tiger pounding by the Deacs yesterday:D Hopefully we can pull of another magical win against UNC today

out_here_grindin
04-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Georgia Tech blasts Miami 4-0. Neither team with a full strength line-up as GT was missing Spir and Miami missing Chin.

Wake is about to lose doubles to UNC. Only way they can win is if they can take advantage of UNC's lack of depth.

out_here_grindin
04-22-2011, 09:26 PM
UNC beats Wake 4-1 after sneaking out all 3 tiebreaks on courts 1-3. Wake could not win any of the 3 to extend the match. Kreyman def Burkhardt at #4 for Wake's only point

darklucia
04-23-2011, 02:54 AM
Duke won pretty easily over VTech as expected, so another Duke v UNC. I think this one will go to Duke.

out_here_grindin
04-23-2011, 02:31 PM
I think Duke will take the rematch. Carleton will not have another awful day and lose to Boyajian so easily. Cunha should win the rematch over Hernandez.

out_here_grindin
04-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Duke squeaks out the doubles point. No way UNC can pull 4 singles matches

darklucia
04-23-2011, 11:55 PM
4-0 Duke. Still think UVA is going to win this tournament.

BrunoBeidacki
04-24-2011, 04:30 AM
If Cunha plays his best, Duke should win.

out_here_grindin
04-24-2011, 02:32 PM
But Cunha is only one point. He has owned Shabaz recently but that is a very even matchup.

Domijan and Singh owned Carleton and Mengel respectively the last time these two player. Duek will have to play strong in the bottom half of the line-up and Cunha must win. It will be close but I can't see past a UVA victory.

BrunoBeidacki
04-24-2011, 04:09 PM
But Cunha is only one point. He has owned Shabaz recently but that is a very even matchup.

Domijan and Singh owned Carleton and Mengel respectively the last time these two player. Duek will have to play strong in the bottom half of the line-up and Cunha must win. It will be close but I can't see past a UVA victory.

Yeah, Duke will have to play very strong, but anyone expected Duke 4-0 in semi finals, so, it's look like Duke played very very well yesterday.

darklucia
04-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Virginia gets the doubles point. Uphill battle for Duke. Looks like Carleton is not rolling over to Domijian this time though.

darklucia
04-24-2011, 05:52 PM
I think I jinxed Reid. Looks like he got crushed in set 2. The biggest surprise might be Courtney dropping a 6-0 set to Wietoska.