Frederico Gil [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Frederico Gil

10K Futures Qualifier
05-03-2009, 08:51 PM
This guy is playing in his home countries only ATP Event this week in Estoril, Portugal and he doesn't even need a Wild Card! Vamos!

Snoo Foo
05-03-2009, 08:53 PM
:secret: it's frederico

catatonia
05-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Yep, he had some very good matches recently and he just lost a final in Tunis to Gaudio. He is the top Portuguese player and he plays Blake in the first round of Estoril.

Good luck :worship:

arm
05-24-2009, 05:00 PM
You go, Gil! :bounce:

Sauletekis
04-30-2010, 03:34 PM
This thread is dying! Gil almost in the final of Tunis Ch again and in doubles is in SF too... And next to come, ESTORIL:worship: VAMOS GIL!

Filo V.
05-08-2010, 02:37 AM
Frederico is in the semifinals of ATP Estoril after defeating his countryman Machado 4-6 7-6 (1) 6-3!!!! He also beat Florian Mayer in 3 sets in the first round, and Santiago Giraldo in straight sets in the second round. He plays Garcia-Lopez in the semifinals with the potential to play Roger in the final in front of the home fans!

With his results this week he will move up in the rankings from #133 to around #110 and with a win tomorrow, he would be right around/in the top 100 next week! Good luck Frederico, hopefully you get the victory to continue the best week of your career!

Sauletekis
05-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Frederico is in the semifinals of ATP Estoril after defeating his countryman Machado 4-6 7-6 (1) 6-3!!!! He also beat Florian Mayer in 3 sets in the first round, and Santiago Giraldo in straight sets in the second round. He plays Garcia-Lopez in the semifinals with the potential to play Roger in the final in front of the home fans!

With his results this week he will move up in the rankings from #133 to around #110 and with a win tomorrow, he would be right around/in the top 100 next week! Good luck Frederico, hopefully you get the victory to continue the best week of your career!

I'm very happy for him, but it's sad that Machado didn't win it too, because he will surely become a top 100, by def. Gil. And Rui deserve top 100 by a long time. But Gil is a mentally stronger player, so hope he will use that to beat GGL... Not going to be easy, tought... it would be magic to have a Portuguese player in an ATP event, especially in front of his fans, in Estoril.

Sauletekis
05-08-2010, 09:16 PM
And Fred has done it! THANK YOU, FOR ALL!!!:worship:

Filo V.
05-09-2010, 03:27 AM
I'm very happy for him, but it's sad that Machado didn't win it too, because he will surely become a top 100, by def. Gil. And Rui deserve top 100 by a long time. But Gil is a mentally stronger player, so hope he will use that to beat GGL... Not going to be easy, tought... it would be magic to have a Portuguese player in an ATP event, especially in front of his fans, in Estoril.

Rui seems to me to have a heavier ball and hit the ball better in general than Federico but he lacks a great serve, he gets stuck behind the baseline too much, and he got tired badly vs. Frederico. At the end, the fact Frederico spent a year playing ATP events is what made the difference in that match, his experience level and as you say, mental strength. But Rui is better than some of the guys in the top 100 right now, I'm sure he will get there sooner rather than later.

Filo V.
05-09-2010, 03:44 AM
Frederico won 6-2 5-7 6-3 over Garcia Lopez and is in the final of his home countries tournament in Estoril!!!! He was serving for the match at 5-4 in the second set but got nervous and choked. He broke immediately to start the third set but was re-broken. But he found a way to fight through and win the match by breaking GGL three times in the set!!! What an amazing week for Frederico and Portuguese tennis fans, and the Estoril tournament.

Even more positively, Frederico should be right around 100 next week in the world rankings, just in time for the main draw of Wimbledon!!

Tomorrow he plays Albert Montanes who beat Federer in the semi-finals. The best way to cap off this amazing week would be with a win but regardless, Frederico has had the best tournament of his life and should be very proud. Congrats to you Frederico, and good luck tomorrow!

Sauletekis
05-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Believe it GIL!

Filo V.
05-10-2010, 05:27 AM
Frederico came so close to the victory but came up just short in the final, 2-6 7-6 (4) 5-7 to Montanes. Frederico was being completely outplayed and was down 6-2 5-3 and Montanes had opportunities to go ahead a double break in the second set, but Frederico fought back two times when Montanes served for the match, and took it to a tiebreaker he won by playing aggressive and just hitting out on all his shots. In the third set Frederico rode the wave of momentum and got ahead a double break on Montanes! But Montanes came all the way back and Frederico got a little tired, and Albert broke 3 times in the 3rd set to win the match.

It was an exciting, intense, dramatic and very fun final to watch with decent quality---at times. Regardless of the result, this is the biggest tournament in Frederico's career, and is a career changing event for him and for all of Portugal when it comes to tennis. Frederico put tennis on the map in Portugal and hopefully the fight and desire he showed this week in Estoril will rub off on any youngsters who want to get in the sport.

Frederico's ranking will move up to around #104 with this result with nothing to defend these next months, so a return to a top 100 place is basically an inevitability. Congrats Frederico on this fabulous week, you have done your fans and country very proud!!

Sauletekis
08-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Frederico will play on Tuesday (or maybe Wendesday if Jonh asks for another day to heal his injury) against the giant player, Isner. The american guy is injured. Wonder if he will play or Gil will will play agains some LL.

Sauletekis
08-31-2010, 03:42 AM
OOP released, Gil match wasn't on it. So we'll have to wait another day...

Sauletekis
09-07-2010, 11:19 PM
After reachig USO doubles Last Of 16, Fred will have a mini-holidays according to portuguese newspapper. He will be back only in Week 39 to defend the Napoli CH tittle of last year... But next week he will play the DC Playoff's against Bosnia, to help Portugal to be in I division of Europe/Africa zone...

Gil&becker
10-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Trying to revive a bit this forum about Gil. I'm major fan, think he is doing a lot for tennis in Portugal.
But, doesn't it seem strange that he already said that his last two tournaments of the season will be Montpellier and Valencia? Such strong fields, and IMO he still didn't secure enough points for dirrect acceptance at the Aussie Open. Long way to travel to risk the qualifying... Shouldn't he play one or two challengers instead?

Gil&becker
10-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Trying to revive a bit this forum about Gil. I'm major fan, think he is doing a lot for tennis in Portugal.
But, doesn't it seem strange that he already said that his last two tournaments of the season will be Montpellier and Valencia? Such strong fields, and IMO he still didn't secure enough points for dirrect acceptance at the Aussie Open. Long way to travel to risk the qualifying... Shouldn't he play one or two challengers instead?

Quoting myself!, just to say that, after this win today against Roger-vasselin, IMO Gil is at the Aussie Open directly.
I've been taking a good look at the ranks, and at least 10 guys above him will lose a lot of points until the end of the season, so he's safe to finish now at the Top-100, I think, even if he looses the rest of his games (Tsonga and Valencia Qualies).
If I'm correct, congrats, Gil, at a season were he played so irregularly (more frequently playing poorly), but with the best result of his (or of any portuguese) career, at home, at the Estoril Open, that epic run to the final! A lot of heart through out the season, just like today again.

theKSHE
10-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Frederico Gil will now face Ivan Navarro in Valencia Qualies.

theKSHE
10-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Gil eliminated from Valencia early on Qualies with 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (7-4).

Considering the fact that he was one break ahead in 2nd set and 1 mini-break in 3rd set Tie-Break, this is awful. I hope he comes back way stronger than he actually is.

Gil&becker
12-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Gil eventually finished his season at 101, but with the same points of 100... He is now into Chennai and AO (entry list just released, uff!) and will play Sidney Qualy in the middle.
I hope he does better at this first tournaments than last season, finally advances at least one round at a grand Slam, and hope to see him in South America, for the golden Swing in February, playing at Santiago, Costa do Sauipe and Buenos Aires.
Go, Gil!! :)

Ad Wim
12-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Well, I think he do a lot better than he did this year. He should play more clay challengers than HC ATP-tournaments.
Australia is okay, but after the SA swing he should go to Europe to play challengers, and skip IW and Miami.

Filo V.
12-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Good idea, Ad Win, and definitely a right one. He should play events like Meknes and Marrakech. Big points, clay events, weaker draws. He needs as many points as possible before Estoril.

He should have a better season next year with a full season of ATP competition under his belt and some good rest, but he needs to get better on HC. When he first came up, he did it by mixing good clay results with some good HC results, but the last year and a half, he's become only a clay courter. Now that Rui is ahead of him in the ranking, he should have extra motivation for 2011.

Sauletekis
12-14-2010, 06:47 AM
Good idea, Ad Win, and definitely a right one. He should play events like Meknes and Marrakech. Big points, clay events, weaker draws. He needs as many points as possible before Estoril.

He should have a better season next year with a full season of ATP competition under his belt and some good rest, but he needs to get better on HC. When he first came up, he did it by mixing good clay results with some good HC results, but the last year and a half, he's become only a clay courter. Now that Rui is ahead of him in the ranking, he should have extra motivation for 2011.

Good post Filo! Completely agree!:wavey:

theKSHE
01-08-2011, 10:18 AM
After a disappointing loss against Berdych, Gil is now playing Sidney qualies. In the first round Gil defeated Dudi Sela(2) 6/4, 4/6 and 6/1 and Matosevic with 3/6, 6/3 and 6/3. Considering that he played 6 sets yesterday he will face some problems against Greul who defeated Kukushkin without troubles.

Kristen
01-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Through to second round after Nieminen withdrew with a knee injury after the first set. Hard to tell how he was playing when Jarkko was injured, but neither player looked particularly bad at all. He will play Simon or Lu next.

Sauletekis
01-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Simon and Lu will play 11:00 AM (local time) and will finish the match. 6-0, 3-2 for the frechman. Would be very interesting for Fred if this went to a decider set, but i think Gilles will win in 2, and won't be that tired, against Gil.

fluke
01-17-2011, 01:14 AM
Gil leads Cuevas 1-0. :)

Good luck!

EDIT: What a marathon, but he did it! Congrats! :D

F. Gil d. P. Cuevas 6-4 6-7(7) 4-6 6-3 9-7

Gil&becker
01-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Spectabulous! Great to see him finally winning a match at a Grand Slam. Totally deserved.
Great start of the season (for his level). Good run at hard-court down-under swing. Good wins against Dudi Sela and Simon Greul, and now Cuevas!
He has some (tiny) chances against Monfils (he also played a five-seter, and was nearly ousted).
After the AO, he will play one of his favourite parts of the season, the South American Golden Swing. Up until now, he only has direct acceptance in Chile, but I hope he manages to round-up with good number of points after February, to approach his best ever rank (66th) and start compensating for future loss of points in Estoril (another final would be a dream come true).
He really needs an improvement on that serve, if he wants to stick permanently at top-75, and have a go at entering top-50. But with that height...
Anyway, huge contribution to portuguese tennis, like no other!!
Go Gil.

Gil&becker
01-24-2011, 12:54 PM
A good look at the ranks leads me to say that Gil has now a decent chance of getting directly in ATP 1000 Miami, and is safely directly accepted at Casablanca, Estoril and Roland Garros. So, lots of ground for a good run in the ranks this year. He really played decently against Monfils at the Aussie Open, so good prospects for the near future... Every point counts now, since he has a lot of points to defend in the mid-season.

Anya07
01-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Monfils-Gil.Australian.Open.2011.2nd.incomplete (3 parts)

http://image2you.ru/allimages/2_image2you_ru_12803_e9862_1295858707.jpg (http://image2you.ru/12803/318072/)
http://pic4you.ru/allimage/y2011/01-24/4463/638382-thumb.jpeg (http://pic4you.ru/4463/638382/)

was added HERE (http://uploadbox.com/box/australianopen2011)

Gil&becker
04-07-2011, 06:15 PM
:sad:
Damn unlucky draw again! Gil played well, but Simon was just better in the decisive moments.
I hope Gil might secure some decent points in the next two weeks, otehrwise it's relying all on Estoril where he would need at least a SF to remain at Top-100 (best case scenario, I think he needs around 90 points from one tournament, or 100 from two, in the next four weeks, if he doesn't want to play Wimby Qualies).
But he's playing really well, I think he can make it!
A good run in Monte Carlo would be 2 wins at qualifying and a win on first round. Am I dreaming too much? I think not!
C'mon Gil!

Gil&becker
04-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Brilliant qualification in Monte Carlo. Now a decent Draw (finally), he will play Stakhovsky.
Go Gil!

Gil&becker
04-11-2011, 02:50 PM
What a clear message! In-form clay-courter. Took down Stakhovsky, a top-40 in a solid fashion (6-1 6-3), after demolition work in Qualies.
Next F. Mayer, Gil beat him last year in Estoril, decent chance. Then, back-from-injury Monfils?
Must have been an agressive display, not many long rallies, I imagine, due to duration of match.
This is what he needs to advance a bit more and climb in the ranks, before Estoril (home tournament, final last year, lots of points to defend).

Go Gil!!!

Gil&becker
04-13-2011, 07:42 PM
:sad:

A good run in Monte Carlo would be 2 wins at qualifying and a win on first round. Am I dreaming too much? I think not!
C'mon Gil!

As you can see from previous post, better rum Then IN my Dreams now.
Great victory today, NeXT Clownfils, it's not impossible, since he comes from injury...
I'm positive that he already secured a direct entrance IN Wimbledon, even if NeXT week CH and Estoril turn into a disaster. But I really expect the Best, since He's playing so well.
Go Gil!

Sauletekis
04-14-2011, 11:38 AM
He defended Estoril Points enven before it starts Estoril. No he almost got no pressure. Even playing like that will be hard to repeat the final of last year cause this feild is too good, but with a good draw he can reach at least QF or SF at his best.

Gil&becker
04-14-2011, 08:19 PM
:worship::worship::worship:
What Gil achieved today is beyond what words can describe, for a Portuguese Tennis fan, but I'll try (this might seem exagerated, but this is really the first MS QF ever for a Portuguese player...).
He played like a portuguese had never played before. He is our best player ever, and I saw him play last year at Estoril Open, where he reached the final, and it was mostly heart and will. This is also his hignest rank points in one week, since he acummulated already 205 points in Monte Carlo.
Today, he was a machine, reaching to every ball, getting the corners or the lines at almost every point, and with a lot less unforced errors than Clownfils.
Monfils was great at first set (Certinfy called this first set the set of the year), just exhausted in the second set.
I think that first set was at least the set of a lifetime, something for Gil to see over and over again. Gil was a true warrior, but with a lot of class in it.
So, he is not a Top-10 player, he lacks destroying weapons, but now I'm more confident that he will reach Top-50. He will reach his best ever rank next week, what ever is the result tomorrow.
But maybe tomorrow he makes it, can you imagine... I think that he stands some chances against Murray, if he's fit, althought it's beyond my wildest dreams.
We'll see, but today was the most glorious page of Portuguese Tennis yet, I can tell you.
One might think that a lot of goods are to come, from the likes of Gastão Elias or Frederico Silva, but the fact is that, with Gil in this form, the future is now!!!

Sonja1989
04-14-2011, 08:44 PM
De Bakker OUT and SE cleaned.
IN: Brands and Kavcic.

Robredo isn't official yet but he won't play sure.

elena_k
04-15-2011, 12:37 AM
good win! Murray not in best form and has recently lost to players lower-ranked than Gil so he still has a chance, but Gil had an injury time-out in the 2nd set I hope it is not too serious.

I also heard he did a dance routine at the players party :lol:

RsOQAlr3avs

156mphserve
04-15-2011, 03:37 PM
De Bakker OUT and SE cleaned.
IN: Brands and Kavcic.

Robredo isn't official yet but he won't play sure.

can't Gil still get that SE? Smucav has it cleared so it must be right but in theory he could, I guess maybe he denied wanting it or something? I thought he could still get it even if he withdrew from this entry list, or has he entered a challenger or something?

and yesh222, there is a site I refer to that has the entry lists, but last time I posted the link it got deleted so I assume it isn't allowed to be posted:confused:

Sonja1989
04-15-2011, 03:40 PM
can't Gil still get that SE? Smucav has it cleared so it must be right but in theory he could, I guess maybe he denied wanting it or something? I thought he could still get it even if he withdrew from this entry list, or has he entered a challenger or something?

and yesh222, there is a site I refer to that has the entry lists, but last time I posted the link it got deleted so I assume it isn't allowed to be posted:confused:

Gil wasn't on Qualifying Entry List.
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=179733

156mphserve
04-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Gil wasn't on Qualifying Entry List.
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=179733

I didn't think that mattered, I asked about a similar situation last year and was told(by smucav) that a SE could be awarded to anyone who didn't have DE, and who wasn't scheduled to play another event that week and it didn't matter if they were in the qualifying list or not

willoughby
04-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Gil entered Napoli Challenger, so he couldn't get the SE spot. Anyway he could've been a direct entry, but he withdrew from the alternate list.

same here. it seems that we're not allowed to post that link at MTF...

Sonja1989
04-15-2011, 04:25 PM
I didn't think that mattered, I asked about a similar situation last year and was told(by smucav) that a SE could be awarded to anyone who didn't have DE, and who wasn't scheduled to play another event that week and it didn't matter if they were in the qualifying list or not

If he ask WC. But as Willoughby said, he will play CH in next week.
That event was 250 I think, where aren't QEL.

156mphserve
04-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Gil entered Napoli Challenger, so he couldn't get the SE spot. Anyway he could've been a direct entry, but he withdrew from the alternate list.

He wouldn't be DE yet, one more person would have had to withdraw:wavey:

but yeah I didn't know about the Napoli thing, that's why I asked, thanks:D

If he ask WC. But as Willoughby said, he will play CH in next week.
That event was 250 I think, where aren't QEL.

that event I asked about was Shanghai, there was QEL, the player I asked about wasn't on it, but I was told if he did make the SF of Toyko he would be eligible for the SE. He lost in Round 2:)

Gil lost though, case closed:angel:

Sonja1989
04-15-2011, 04:37 PM
He wouldn't be DE yet, one more person would have had to withdraw:wavey:

but yeah I didn't know about the Napoli thing, that's why I asked, thanks:D

that event I asked about was Shanghai, there was QEL, the player I asked about wasn't on it, but I was told if he did make the SF of Toyko he would be eligible for the SE. He lost in Round 2:)

Gil lost though, case closed:angel:

In 2010?

_Chaz
04-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Yeah, SE is available for every player who has no direct entry who didn't enter another tournament that week.

156mphserve
04-15-2011, 05:18 PM
In 2010?

yes, I don't really understand the rule either, SE are designed for those who can't play qualifying because of week prior singles commitments, so it should only be allowed to those who intended to play qualifying but I'm just going by what I'm told:wavey:

thanks Chaz, that's what I thought:cool:

pinkkiwi72
04-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Congratulations to Frederico Gil, losing to #4 Andy Murray in QF ATP 1000 is worthy of note and fantastic tennis, considering he has played 5 games in 5 days. Hope to see more of him in the future, particularly if he keeps playing like this!

156mphserve
04-16-2011, 02:53 AM
But nobody used SE in last year in Shanghai...

Anyway I really don't know. :confused:

I asked about it before that players round 2 match, I was told if he did reach the SF he would be eligible, he lost round 2, he wasn't eligible. I was told that if he did make the SF he would be eligible, I never said nothing about him actually getting that far and using it:confused:

Peplin
04-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Btw, the name in the title is wrong. Isn't "Fredrico". Is "Frederico".

Gil&becker
08-20-2011, 11:09 AM
It seems that Gil has changed coach once again. He left Cunha e Silva (again) and is starting to work on experimental basis with To Van Grichen, former coach of Azarenka (took her from nowhere to top ten), Ivanovic, Cirstea, etc. First experience on men's tennis, though...
Let's see if it works, but Gil really had to do something: from Masters Monte Carlo QF and best rank ever, to out of Top 100 in four months, losing to everybody. So, can't get worse. Go Gil!

Gil&becker
08-30-2011, 02:35 PM
After two more first-round losses (Winston Salem and US Open), To Van Grichen told the portuguese press that this was just a quick period of common training, never to be extended, since Gil wants to live and train in Portugal, and van Grichen always wanted to stay at the US. So, we'll hear about a new coach in the next weeks, certainly. Gil will probably play GenovaCH without a coach, and then he has a week rest, before ATP Bucharest, maybe by then we'll have some new info...

Filo V.
09-07-2011, 03:00 AM
Fred overall has had an awful season which is really unfortunate. Basically two good tournaments, Monte Carlo and qualifying and making R2 in Sydney. He's only won back to back matches 4 times, and not made any SF at any level. He's got to find a way to pick it up and start winning. Hopefully a new coach brings renewed confidence.

Gil&becker
09-21-2011, 04:08 PM
After he reached SF in Italian Callenger, Gil won in Bucharest two days ago against his beast - Chardy. Now a match against a WC, to reach ATP QF, which he only managed once this year, at Monte Carlo! Go Gil!

Gil&becker
10-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Fred is playing shit, and had a all shity season, but I think he already did enough to Top-100 season end, and Aussie Open Direct Acceptance. Top-100 normally closes around 530 points (lot of guys loosing big points in 80-100 spot), and he canīt go down that amount. Itīs amazing how you can finish in Top100, with only one very good tournament in all season, and than just average or very bad performance.
Buk he still as a good number of CH in South America to play this year, and then letīs rest and get a good coach for pre-season.
Go Gil!

Gil&becker
10-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Gil drowned in deep shit, playing nothing, but at least, he seems as having agreed with Van Grichen to coach him now (and hopefully next season).

Gil&becker
11-11-2011, 11:13 PM
What a hell of a way to finish a season. Gil lost to his friend and my other portuguese fav, Gastso Elias, after holding two MP. But still, Gastao needed this points more, to secure Top 200 finish. What an amazing year for Gastao, appart from injuries, shitty year for Gil, only one very good tournament at Monte Carlo. But secured Aussie Open direct acceptance. See you next year, Gil!

Gil&becker
11-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Gil has a new coach for the first months of next season, the spanish Juan Esparcia, who coached until recently with some success the also spanish GGL. Letīs see if things work out this time, he really needs some decent results in the first tournaments, to secure his Top-100 spot and regain some confidence in his game. Go Fred!

Filo V.
11-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Hopefully he can have a good start to 2012. He needs it as a buffer for the Monte Carlo points. Some wins during the Latin American swing are necessary.

Gil&becker
01-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Gil has now won back-to-back matches at Aussie Open 2011 and 2012! So important to set his mind, and reinforce his belief that he is a Top-100 player. Now, a decent chance tomorrow, it was a good draw, hope he can take advantage of it, he has three months to collect 275 points just to stay in Top-100. Go Gil! You have to show the way for the youngsters to come, Gastão and Frederico Ferreira da Silva!

Gil&becker
01-17-2012, 05:17 PM
After the Aussie Open (only one more win possible), Gil will have almost certainly three Direct Acceptances in ATP250 South America Clay Swing. Then, who knows? But he really needs to secure at least 100 points through out these tournaments. Go Gil!

Gil&becker
01-19-2012, 05:54 AM
Such an important win today against Granollers in Aussie Open round 2. First in Portuguese mens tennis history. Now, back inTop-100, and a huge boost of confidence in his new game, his new coach, his new racket. Gil is once again a Top-100, I'm sure that also in his mind now!

Gil&becker
02-07-2012, 02:41 PM
After a great start to the season at the Aussie Open, and now a decent ATP250 Vina del Mar in singles (QF), and a victory in doubles (which gives a lot of confidence), skies cleared a bit. Gil needs to secure about 200 points until mid-April (Monte Carlo week) to secure Top-100 for most of the season, and GS direct acceptance, beggining in Roland Garros. If he manages this 200 points, it will be possible to attack something near top-50 till the end of the season, assuming his good form endures. But, for now, really, the main challenge is to get 200 points in about two months. Otherwise, he will go through qualies at Roland Garros and Wimbledon, and that is always a downturn in a players career, with unpredictable outcome. But all reasons to believe that he will make it, since he just won an ATP event, even if it was the doubles draw. Go Gil!

Filo V.
03-08-2012, 04:55 AM
Fred lost in R1 of Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires and as of right now, his provisional is #84. He's in the MD of Indian Wells, as he lost in the final round of qualifying but received a LL position. He plays another qualifier, Rhyne Williams, in the first round, so a win is absolutely necessary. After Indian Wells, Fred is playing the Dallas challenger in Texas, then Miami qualifying. He'll need to continue to win as many matches as possible as a buffer for the Monte Carlo points that will drop.

Qualifying at both Roland Garros and Wimbledon is a real possibility at this point, however Fred has done enough to put himself in position to regain a top 100 spot during the summer, where he doesn't defend much, and make the USO MD and AO MD in 2013. It's all up to Fred to continue to have the decent season he's had and cut out all bad losses.

Filo V.
03-08-2012, 04:58 AM
Given withdrawals, retirements and players who will also falling back in the rankings, Fred will probably need to be around #105 to make the French Open. To do that, he'll need somewhere between 100-150 points the next 1.5 months. It's doable, especially if he can qualify and win a match in Monte Carlo, qualify in Miami, and go deep in Casablanca. Pressure is on and we'll see how Fred handles it.

Gil&becker
03-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Given withdrawals, retirements and players who will also falling back in the rankings, Fred will probably need to be around #105 to make the French Open. To do that, he'll need somewhere between 100-150 points the next 1.5 months. It's doable, especially if he can qualify and win a match in Monte Carlo, qualify in Miami, and go deep in Casablanca. Pressure is on and we'll see how Fred handles it.

Fred won't play Casablanca. My guess is that he prefers to play Monte Carlo, Bucharest and Estoril in a row, and decided to rest the week before this series, and also reajust to clay, since he will come from more than one month playing hard-court, also in DC).
But, for now, is IW MD, a doable first round, and impossible second round, so maximum just over 30 points here. Then, strong DallasCH and Miami (a slight chance of direct entrance to main draw). Then, Davis Cup (no points) and the three clay tournaments I refered to. From IW to Monte Carlo (ony four tournaments), he would need about 180 points, so unless a miracle happens (like Monte Carlo last year), he's into qualifying at RG. And the Olympics are just an impossible dream now... He just left too much to do, due to the results in February.
But, I also believe that he can do well for the rest of the season (has been playing well at hard-courts, which is new and very much appreciated). The problem seems to be still on his mind (nothing else could justify his results in South America after another loss agains Chardy in Bueno Aires, since he was playing so well previously to that match). Needs to put that second part of last season definitively over his back.
Go Gil!

Filo V.
03-08-2012, 06:31 PM
I saw your PM Gil&Becker. If Fred is smart he'll take a WC into Casablanca, especially if he loses early in Miami and if Fred only has to play one match for Portugal in Davis Cup, but I can understand if/why he wouldn't. It's an event he has a lot of fans and it's a weak draw. Plus he's defending R2 points there. Without the Casablanca points there is zero chance of he making the French. I hope he reconsiders but if he doesn't, it makes winning today and winning some matches in Dallas and Miami even more critical. Unfortunately, Olympics will not happen but that could be a blessing in disguise, because he'll be forced to play more challengers, and hopefully do better than he did last year in them.

He has been playing significantly better on HC this season than he did the past few seasons. When he first came on tour he did it by winning on hard court. Winning matches on hard will make things a lot easier for him on clay, because he won't need to do as much as consistently on that one surface.

I agree that it's all about self-belief with Fred. Hopefully he believes in himself and his game and is able to achieve the results we know are possible for him.

Gil&becker
03-08-2012, 06:54 PM
About Gil, for those who care (if any, at least Filo V.). I've seen him playing quite a few times now, sometimes live at Estoril Open (every year, for some years now). He has a decent game in him, not sure if he can reach Top-50 anytime, surely not stay there long.
Week serve, problems with backhand, although I've seeen some decent shots at random matches (at least he has a backhand, not like Chardy, for instance).
He really doesnīt have a huge shot, but is going more for the forehand winners, and is much faster around the court this year. Surely, not just a pusher. At perfect conditions, can do great (like against Monfils at Monte Carlo last year).
But his impact in portuguese tennis is huge. It's been more that ten years since we had so many news about tennis. Than, Rui Machado followed his steps in Top-100, which solidified the presence of our sport in the news. Conditions for professionals have improved dramatically recently, so the should take advantage of it soon.
We have a potential Top-50 or even better on the rise, Frederico Ferreira da Silva (Junior Top-10), but Gil set the path these last years(Estoril Final, Monte Carlo QF, for instance).
He will always be remembered by portugueses tennis fans, when his career finishes, which is something.
Go Gil!

Filo V.
03-09-2012, 06:15 AM
Personally, I don't see Fred as a consistent top 50 player, but top 75, yes. He doesn't have a huge strength but he also doesn't have a huge weakness when playing well. Everything he does, outside of his backhand, with is pretty mediocre most of the time (he's got an OK slice BH and when he's confident it's a decent shot) is between adequate and good. His serve at times is good but is usually average/adequate. His forehand, his movement, his court craft, they are all OK but not overwhelming. To me, that limits his potential but he's also solid, in that when he's going right he plays right at that "decent" level and makes players rise above that to beat him. That makes Fred tough for guys ranked 50 and below and sometimes higher-ranked players; they don't have the ability to play at that high a level for an extended period.

He just have to continue believing in his abilities and the wins will come. What he's done for Portuguese tennis is something I know Portuguese tennis fans will always respect. He's broken territory that hasn't been seen with the sport in terms of tennis. I know how proud he is to be a Portuguese player and one of the best ones ever. And he always plays his best when he has the Portuguese fans cheering him on. He seems like a really down to earth guy and that's one of the reasons I've always liked him.

Filo V.
03-09-2012, 06:17 AM
Fred won 6-3 6-7(6) 6-4 over qualifier Rhyne Williams in Indian Wells R1. Very important win and much needed points added. In R2 he plays Isner so he'll likely lose there, most important is he got the victory required and hopefully he's feeling OK physically after two tough matches in two days. This is all good preparation for Dallas next week where he should have an opportunity to make a deep run there.

Gil&becker
03-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Gil up against Andreev today, at the very difficult Dallas CH. Actually, I think this is his most difficult match in the bottom-half of the draw. He is playing very well, gave Isner a fight at 2nd round in IW. Let's see if he starts to put a real mark on his rank, to avoid significant fall after Monte Carlo. SF or F here in Dallas is a must. Go Gil!

Filo V.
03-13-2012, 03:58 PM
This is a sad match for me.............I really love both players and both players need the points. I'm going to have to emotionally take myself out of rooting for either and just see what happens. But it is a great opportunity for both as well, that's true. The draw is pretty open after this match.

Fred played a great match vs Isner. He's really picked up the intensity of his game this season. A very good sign going forward.

Gil&becker
03-13-2012, 04:06 PM
This is a sad match for me.............I really love both players and both players need the points. I'm going to have to emotionally take myself out of rooting for either and just see what happens. But it is a great opportunity for both as well, that's true. The draw is pretty open after this match.

Fred played a great match vs Isner. He's really picked up the intensity of his game this season. A very good sign going forward.

A great opportunity for Gil, this Dallas CH. Bottom-half really open, although Lacko is there. But I hope Gil can make a deep run. I was taking a good look at his game against Isner, and Gil really played well, really agressive and intense. And by now he is only three withdrawals away from Miami MD, and at least five players that quit IW didn't quit yet from Miami. So, Gil probably directly into Miami MD, which is good news.

Filo V.
03-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Lacko is there, he's the best overall player in the section, but he's not nearly at his best on outdoor HC as he is indoors. Plus, he hasn't played in about 3 weeks. Of course, it would be nice if he lost before Fred had to play him. Becker is also a tough player.

I'd be surprised if Fred made the Miami MD. I don't see it happening because most of the players who withdrew from IW did so because of sickness, not injury. But we'll see what happens. In any case, a SF here would give him 45 points and a final would be 75. Winning the event would give him 125 points. Even getting a SF here would be huge for Fred. With his Indian Wells points, he still needs about 100-120 points to make the French. Winning the title would secure it, and making the final would put him in a great position to secure it with a couple extra wins in other tournaments.

Gil&becker
03-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Petszchner and Blake withdrew from injury. Volandri and Tursunov I donīt know why. The rest of the ones that didnīt withdrew from Miam yet, inclunding Monfils, was from illness, but at least Monfils was coming from injury also. So, we'll see what happens. Gil really needs at least 45 points here in Dallas CH, to have a chance to get those 125 points he needs in three tournaments. So, at least a SF here is a must.

Filo V.
03-13-2012, 04:50 PM
OK, I saw the revised entry list. Ferrero, Youzhny, Machado and Montanes all withdrew. So yes, he actually needs three withdrawals, and there is a pretty decent chance at getting that before next week. Hopefully those withdrawals come and he makes the MD. Miami is a slow court and should suit Fred's game so I can see an R4 appearance or so there.

Gil&becker
03-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Just saw the 3rd set against Andreev. Dreadful from Gil, didnīt seem to be on the match. Seems that he played well in the first set, from the comments I saw. But Gil has enough years on the tour to maintain his level, even if he was playing now without audience, coming from thousands watching his match live against Isner in IW (must make a huge difference, but he has to manage it). Now, everything more and more difficult, coming to Miami and then Monte Carlo... Still needs 125 points (just to secure Top-100 and RG direct acceptance) from this two tournaments. Probably left too much to do!

Filo V.
03-14-2012, 03:13 AM
Wawrinka withdrew from Miami, so it's almost sure Fred will make the MD there. He's gonna need to try to make the R4 or so there. I think he can do with with the correct draw, plus not having to play qualifying will help.

Today he played very well for 1.5 sets, but as soon as Andreev started playing a bit better, Fred's game fell way, way off, he lost intensity and he got shaken, a lot like what happened to him several times last season. As I said before, unless he takes a WC into Casablanca, top 100 won't happen for him before the French and he'll have to qualify. Maybe he'll do great again in Monte Carlo, though. If he can make R4 in Miami he won't have to do as much in Monte Carlo to get 125 points. It will be difficult and I don't see it happening, but I'll be hopeful.

Gil&becker
03-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Gil is now confirmed in Barcelona. So, he decided to play Monte Carlo Qualies, Barcelona and Estoril, after DC. All bets on Estoril Open. He refused the easy points in Casablanca and Bucharest, to be closer to Portugal, and playing just a few torunamnts, to rest for Estoril. He prefered Barcelona, which is one and a half hour away from Lisbon, but just few points to catch (90 at the very best), over Bucharest, better chances of 90+ points, but a longer flight, with one stop at least. He is going for the big achievment again at home, were he plays his best tennis. If no other big name is added in the meanwhile, he has a chance of reaching the finals, if he isnīt placed in the same half as Del Potro. And then all the second part of the season is there to secure the needed points to get back to Top75. But he will have to work his intensity in the smaller torunaments, which he'll play more frequently after Estoril.

Filo V.
03-18-2012, 11:27 PM
He loves Estoril and consistently plays well there, so hopefully he turns it on again at home, gets a comfortable draw and does damage. Doing well there will give him a good seed if he has to play French Open qualifying and, of course, situate himself well to move back up the rankings during the summer.

Fred got into the Miami MD today with Tursunov and Volandri withdrawing. Hopefully he gets an easy draw and can make a big run here. An R4 performance I think is very possible with the right draw and these courts are slow, and should favor Fred. A big run here will mean he won't have as much pressure to defend his points in Monte Carlo. Hopefully he shakes off this last loss to Andreev and has a great week in Florida coming up!

Gil&becker
03-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Things got worse for Gil now, with the new ranks, that reflect his poor performance in Dallas. I think he needs about 170 points to secure a place at RG. So, needs R4 at Miami and R3 at Monte Carlo. Almost impossible, so I see him more and more at RG qualy. But let's hope for the best.

Filo V.
03-20-2012, 04:30 AM
Fred will play Bellucci in the first round of Miami. He has no realistic chance at the fourth round as Tsonga will be standing in his way to get there. If he beats Bellucci his R2 opponent would be Kohlschreiber. Third round is a possibility if his form is high, as both Bellucci and Kohlschreiber are highly inconsistent players. A third round performance would give Fred 45 points, meaning he would have a total of 650 points overall. Since he isn't currently playing Casablanca, he basically has to repeat or come close to repeating his performance last season in Monte Carlo to remain in the top 100. Not playing Casablanca essentially ruins his chance of keeping his top 100 spot unless he takes a WC there or into a challenger in the meantime, which is possible.

The positive thing is Fred will almost definitely be within the top 125-140 if he loses all of his Monte Carlo points. He's done enough to salvage a decent enough ranking where he'll probably be seeded for RG qualifying. And he's in a good position to make quick forward progress in the rankings after Monte Carlo. We simply have to hope he continues his good form of this season overall and keeps making progress.

Gil&becker
03-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Great win for Gil, against Belluci in Miami. Solid result. Hope he makes R3 here and in Monte Carlo, which should be enough to secure RG direct acceptance. It's possible, with decent draw, since he's playing really well. Go Gil!

sfar
03-22-2012, 02:48 PM
He's had a good beginning of season, I didn't expect it. Hope he does not choke after Estoril, he made a horrible end of 2011 season, he just survived around 100th ranking because of Montecarlo's points...

Gil&becker
03-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Miracle needed now. Gil lost in 2nd round of Miami, so now he would need another QF at Monte Carlo, even more difficut than last year, due to entry-list. His problem was in February, several oportunities that he didnīt take in South America clay-swing. So, he will be out of Top-100 and playing RG qualies. He's playing well, so he definitely has a chance at getting back rapidly to Top-100, but he will have to adapt to play some CH and some qualies... Go Gil!!

Gil&becker
03-24-2012, 10:46 AM
After Monte Carlo, if he maintains the decision not to play Casablanca,he will be somewhere from 105 to 130 place in the ranks. A lot to climb back, but "just" about 100-130 points from Top100, even if he starts from 130th place. Go Gil!

sfar
03-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Well, if he manages to stay in the top 115, it is very likely that he makes it to RG main draw.

Filo V.
03-25-2012, 03:35 AM
Top 115 isn't gonna cut it. Top 105-110 could do so, however. Ljubicic and Soderling won't be playing RG, so the real MD cutoff ranking before protected ranking players will be #106. Fred needs to take a WC into Casablanca. I still believe it, and I think not doing so is a mistake. But since it doesn't appear it will happen, he needs to qualify and win a couple matches in the MD of Monte Carlo. He needs to defend at least half his points, and if he can do that, he'll have a shot at the French Open cutoff. He's at 630 points overall, defending half would put him in the 510-515 range (with his 20 pts from Casablanca off). That would put him around #109 right now, which is right at the borderline between making it/missing it. So it's very very close, we can only be hopeful.

Davis Cup is up next, though, GL to the team vs Israel!

sfar
03-25-2012, 02:17 PM
You're right, cut-off is 96th, not 112th as I thought.

Filo V.
04-04-2012, 02:01 AM
Fred isn't going to make the French, since the schedule has been compacted this season due to the Olympics. Monte Carlo is a week later on the schedule this season, and since Fred isn't playing Casablanca, he won't defend the points. Meaning, he will have to qualify at the French. The positive is that he will be seeded in qualifying, and as we have stated before, will have every chance to regain a top 100 spot soon, if he can maintain his decent form this year. So we'll just have to hope for the best and try not to pass out due to stress during RG qualifying :lol:

It would be an awesome accomplishment if Fred can lead Portugal to a victory over Israel on the road. Fred is probably having the best overall season in terms of consistency out of all of the singles players on both teams, so it will be up to him to rise to the occasion as he usually does for DC competition. I believe in him and know he can get the job done. GL to him and the Portuguese team!

Filo V.
04-12-2012, 04:37 AM
Fred lost 3-6 4-6 4-6 to Sela and Portugal went down 0-3 quickly to lose the tie to Israel. Unfortunately no World Group playoffs for the team this season. Fred said he couldn't get comfortable with the balls and the surface was fast, so he was never secure in his game.

Fred is down to provisional ranking #130 this week. The good thing is he's not much more than 100 points away from getting back in/around the top 100. A few good results during the European clay season should make that happen for him. What's most important is he get a top 16 seed in French Open qualifying, so he can avoid the top players. If he can maintain the form he's had for the most part this season, he should easily manage to do that.

Fred plays in Monte Carlo this weekend in the qualifying event. He'll be seeded so hopefully he gets an easy draw and can qualify.

sfar
04-12-2012, 09:26 AM
I think that being seed in a Qualifying Draw is not as important than in a Main draw. The level between the 100th and the 250th ranked is not as different as between any top 10 and the 100th. There will be very good unseeded players in that draw.

Hope Gil has luck and regains those 100 points.

Gil&becker
04-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Fred isn't going to make the French, since the schedule has been compacted this season due to the Olympics. Monte Carlo is a week later on the schedule this season, and since Fred isn't playing Casablanca, he won't defend the points. Meaning, he will have to qualify at the French. The positive is that he will be seeded in qualifying, and as we have stated before, will have every chance to regain a top 100 spot soon, if he can maintain his decent form this year. So we'll just have to hope for the best and try not to pass out due to stress during RG qualifying :lol:

It would be an awesome accomplishment if Fred can lead Portugal to a victory over Israel on the road. Fred is probably having the best overall season in terms of consistency out of all of the singles players on both teams, so it will be up to him to rise to the occasion as he usually does for DC competition. I believe in him and know he can get the job done. GL to him and the Portuguese team!

Fred is now out of RG MD, as above explained. He now has to focus on getting about 150 points in the next 4 weeks (Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Estoril, these are certain), to secure Wimby MD. This must be his next goal, not an easy one. Then, basically nothing to defend until September. I'm curious to see how he does in this transition to clay, since he īs been playing well on hard-courts. We'll see... Go Gil!

Gil&becker
04-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Gil now back to Top115, after great confident win against Youzhny. So, secured one of the 16 seeded at RG qualy. Playing like this, he has every chance to advance more in Monte Carlo, and get back to Top100 in the following weeks, namely at Estoril. Go Gil!

Filo V.
04-17-2012, 10:45 PM
A win over Simon would put him #104, which would essentially secure Wimbledon MD. It also would mean he'd be a top 5 seed at worst for the French Open qualies. It's a very winnable match so hopefully he continues his great run!

Gil&becker
04-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Too much for Gil today. Mind game and Simon's quality took him out, I think. Simon defended well and used well his cross-court forehand. Gil recognized that he was out of solutions. I saw the match and that was clearly happening. Several points whit Simon using slice from both sides, just pushing the ball long, and Gil lacked a weapon to finish the point. So, the UE began rapidly to mount, after a good confident start.
Gil will now be around 115th, and needs about 75 points from Barcelona and/or Estoril to secure Wimby MD. Anyhow, will be one of the 16 top-seeded at RG Qualy (already out of MD direct acceptance now) and at Wimby Qualy, if he doesn't secure MD acceptance.
He has been playing really well this season, most consistent season so far at ATP level on his professional career, just similar to 2009, his real debut at this level. Hope he doesn't fall appart after Estoril, as he did that year. I think that what he's producing is enough to get back rapidly to Top75. Let's see how he develops through clay-court season (this was just his first tournament on clay on this European swing, and already secured 70 points this week, which is great).

sfar
04-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Gil is improving, he only needs to 'learn' the points, know how to play rivals like Simon. He needs to take a step forward and start to make life more difficult to these kind of players.

Hope he has a good run in Barcelona and specially Estoril. It's his big opportunitty to start and go up the rankings.

Gil&becker
04-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Another great result for Fred today, 6-2, 6-2 over 26th in the ranks Granollers, at Barcelona R1. Now, expect him to manage his way past João Sousa. If so, he Will only need another win here or at Estoril, to secure Wimby MD. Totally deserved, since he's playing like Top50 material. Go Gil!

Gil&becker
04-24-2012, 04:38 PM
I just realized that if Fred wins tomorrow against Sousa, he'll on the Top50 mark on YTD ranks, which confirms my previous impression about his form (and his shitty season last year, from May onwards...

sfar
04-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Fred is surprising me, hats off to him!!!

Gil&becker
05-01-2012, 09:24 PM
The defeat today at Estoril might prove too costly for Gil, since he won't have any other chance to get more points for Wimby MD. 110th place isn't most certainly enough... I was there, saw the match, Gil wasn't playing well, too many UE, the pressure of a good draw at home, everybody counting on him to get to the Final, seemed to get to him.

Filo V.
05-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Wimbledon MD doesn't come out next week. It comes out the week of Rome.

fsilva
05-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Although Gil hasn't played to his potential at Estoril Open, let's remember he's struggling with an arm injury (maybe the new racket??) and Phau was playing like a man possessed! In fact, Phau was possessed until 5-2 up against Ramos... Then he came back down to earth :D
On a side note, good news: Gil just beat Ebden on first qualifying round in Madrid. Now he'll play Daniel "I-haven't-won-a-single-main-draw-match-this-year" Gimeno-Traver in the qualy final. Think he can make it to the main draw...

Gil&becker
05-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Wimbledon MD doesn't come out next week. It comes out the week of Rome.

Yes, I was convinced that he wouldn't make it to MadridQ, since he was really down on the Alt list. But he is in, and already defeated Ebden in style. I think now he has done enough to Wimby MD. I expect him to get to MD in Madrid, and maybe 1st Round win, since the draw for qualifiers is a decent one.

sfar
05-05-2012, 10:14 PM
I saw the final points of the match today live and Fred played very consistently. I think he's going to make it to the main draw, I chatted a bit with him after the game and saw him confident.

Go Gil, good luck!!

Gil&becker
06-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Gil decided to change coaches. He now will work with Bernardo Mota, portuguese coach. He said Esparcia was good in technical termo, but he lacked more proximity. He also prefers to work from Portugal, not Spain. Gil did well with Esparcia until Estoril, but something changed in his head, lacked confidence all these last two months, Esparcia couldn't help him, and this is the end. Not sure if this was the correct thing to do... But wish him the best! Go Gil!

Ramsay
06-27-2012, 01:59 AM
And now he lost on the 1st round in Milan by double 1-6. Oh god...

sfar
06-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Amazed with that result. What happened to him? Is he trying some new type of game play with his new trainer that needs some extra time to get it well done?

Ramsay
06-27-2012, 12:11 PM
He's with Bernardo Mota at a couple of days. Didn't change too much yet (just a little on the service). Robert played better but Gil maked too much UE's.

Gil&becker
07-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Fred really needs to take things differently from now on. He was in hell for the last two and a half months, almost destroied great first part of the season. I'm sure he had some severe differences with his former coach. Now, working with Bernardo Mota, I really hope things get better. He needs a SF appearance this week to get USOpen MD direct acceptance. Go Gil!!!

sfar
07-11-2012, 07:38 AM
Let's hope that he's back on form. At least he's in the 2nd round of Bastad, though he had some problems against Ilhan. Now he plays against a 'winnable' player, Gimeno-Traver, let's see how he performs today.

Ramsay
08-03-2012, 02:50 AM
Frederico Gil will be back in Cincinnati. He won't be in Canada.

Ramsay
08-07-2012, 01:06 AM
Can you give me the 1st post of this thread for I update this?

Gil&becker
08-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Fred really needs to take things differently from now on. He was in hell for the last two and a half months, almost destroied great first part of the season. I'm sure he had some severe differences with his former coach. Now, working with Bernardo Mota, I really hope things get better. He needs a SF appearance this week to get USOpen MD direct acceptance. Go Gil!!!

Fred is really in hell, and finding no way-out. Saw his match today against Naso, straight sets defeat. Dreadful first serve, just defending all match long, painful to watch, I actually fell a sleep. What a disaster from Estoril Open onwards. Don't know what's happening to him, what's on his mind. He lacks some sort of boost, otherwise he can forget Top-100 finish to the season, and things will get complicated if he doesn't secure Aussie Open MD direct acceptance. He doesn't seem to be injured, just mental problem, to a player who relied on his mental strength and fighting spirit. Seems unreal that he was on ATP Race to London Top-50 until beggining of clay-court season, winning so many matches against Top-50 players... Now, he's playing like shit...

Go Gil!!!

Gil&becker
08-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Too much for Gil today. Mind game and Simon's quality took him out, I think. Simon defended well and used well his cross-court forehand. Gil recognized that he was out of solutions. I saw the match and that was clearly happening. Several points whit Simon using slice from both sides, just pushing the ball long, and Gil lacked a weapon to finish the point. So, the UE began rapidly to mount, after a good confident start.
Gil will now be around 115th, and needs about 75 points from Barcelona and/or Estoril to secure Wimby MD. Anyhow, will be one of the 16 top-seeded at RG Qualy (already out of MD direct acceptance now) and at Wimby Qualy, if he doesn't secure MD acceptance.
He has been playing really well this season, most consistent season so far at ATP level on his professional career, just similar to 2009, his real debut at this level. Hope he doesn't fall appart after Estoril, as he did that year. I think that what he's producing is enough to get back rapidly to Top75. Let's see how he develops through clay-court season (this was just his first tournament on clay on this European swing, and already secured 70 points this week, which is great).

Jesus, this is scary, I really hope I didn't put a curse on him, or something... By the way, I wrote this just after his defeat to Simon at the beggining of the clay-season, in Monte Carlo. He then played well in Barcelona, and the next tournament on his schedule was Estoril...

sfar
08-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Jesus, this is scary, I really hope I didn't put a curse on him, or something... By the way, I wrote this just after his defeat to Simon at the beggining of the clay-season, in Monte Carlo. He then played well in Barcelona, and the next tournament on his schedule was Estoril...
It's happening just the same, summertime is no good for Fred. A professional tennis player has to be stable mentally throughout the whole year to remain in the top ranking positions. And Fred's problem is basically mental, there's no thrill in his current gameplay.

I thought Machado would be different, but it has been proved that he was not mentally prepared for ATP tournaments. Then, he had injuries that didn't help at all for his confidence.

Hope that the same thing doesn't happen to João Sousa when he takes the step forward to play more ATP events.

Gil&becker
09-10-2012, 11:30 AM
After another disappointment at Genova CH, Fred asked to be taken out of Portuguese DC team for next weekīs clash against Slvakia, alleging fatigue.
I really donīt know where is he going at with his career, but I see another coach change at the end of the season, if results donīt appear really quickly (which I doubt...).

Gil&becker
11-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Uff! Glad it's over! Talk about an ackward season...
Gil played great until the end of April, he was playing like a Top-50, winning more than losing to Top-50 players, was at the Race to London Top-50, and then came Estoril... again! He lost first round at home, where he has always big hopes! He then lost some more winnable matches on following tournaments, lost qualies at RG, permanently out of Top100, fired his spanish coach... and it was the end. Not one decent result from then-on. What a tragedy, to end like this, such a promising season... He really must do what ever is necessary to change things around, since he was playing to the end of the season like a 250th ranked player, or something.
This happened also some years ago, when he reached to ATP level for the first time, reached Top-70, and then lost first round at Estoril to Blake, and it was the end to the season. It was pratically the same this season, but he now has no excuse, he is now a much more mature player.
Hope he manages to find his best tennis again, for the sake of Portuguese tennis, we really need him and Machado to back the rise of João Sousa and Gastão Elias. Pedro Sousa I quit believing will find a brain at some point in his life...
Go Gil!!!

Sauletekis
12-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Gil is OUT! He said he wanted to rest, and only will start his season in Davies Cup vs Burundi...

trulliscorpion
12-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Gil is OUT! He said he wanted to rest, and only will start his season in Davies Cup vs Burundi...

That's going to be a lengthy rest, at minimum 2 years with marginally over 0% chance it'll happen. Since Burundi don't even participate in Davis Cup, they'd need at least one year to register and yet another one to crawl from Group III Africa to Group II Europe/Africa. Then hope the draw goes that way. :P

On the other hand if he ends up resting until the matchup against Benin it'll be much faster.

Nathaliia
12-25-2012, 11:07 PM
omg portugal these days is facing the likes of benin and burundi? :facepalm: (well, ok, poland played against madagascar last year tsk tsk)

also, didnt gil say he'd play doha and AO quallies? plans to play nothing instead??? wow :o

trulliscorpion
12-26-2012, 10:05 PM
omg portugal these days is facing the likes of benin and burundi? :facepalm: (well, ok, poland played against madagascar last year tsk tsk)

also, didnt gil say he'd play doha and AO quallies? plans to play nothing instead??? wow :o

Matter of chance. While Portugal got relegated from Group I, Benin got promoted from Group III. Both parties shortened the gap :P

Gil&becker
12-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Gil is in dire straits... He now quit all his tournaments in the first month of the season. Pre-season didnīt went well, minor injury and not the best sensations with new racket, so he called-off January. He decided to stay with same coach from second part of last season, which is puzzling, since he lost almost every match he played from Estoril onwards...
Now, I just hope, for the sake oh his career, that he finds some sort of form training an extra month, and performs well in South-America Clay Swing in February. Otherwise, I donīt know if he will have the mental strength that it will take to climb-up 100 spots in the rank again, just to get back to Top100.
Playing a lot of minor challengers, and all, a player that for about three consecutive seasons was a solid ATP level player...

Go Gil!

Kristen
01-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Very sad to hear he won't be around in January! I really enjoy watching him play and he seems like a genuinely lovely guy. Wish him all the very best and hope he can find good form this year. He deserves good things!

Sauletekis
01-05-2013, 05:27 AM
Its getting worse and worse. He said he was going to start his season in DC vs Benin. What does the national couch do? Dont even call him! He called Joao Sousa, Gastao Elias and Pedro Sousa (good so far) but then he calls Rui Machado that must have played 2 or 3 matches in the last six months. I dont remember the last ime Gil was not called to DC team by couching option. Worring times and shocking decision from Pedro Cordeiro...

Gil&becker
01-05-2013, 06:16 PM
At least Gil found the correct balance for his racket, he said, and now he's back to Lisbon to start his training. He'll surely go to South América, wonder if he'll wait for Vina del Mar, or if he'll start at BucaramangaCH to get some rythm...

Gil&becker
01-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Gil is in dire straits... He now quit all his tournaments in the first month of the season. Pre-season didnīt went well, minor injury and not the best sensations with new racket, so he called-off January. He decided to stay with same coach from second part of last season, which is puzzling, since he lost almost every match he played from Estoril onwards...
Now, I just hope, for the sake oh his career, that he finds some sort of form training an extra month, and performs well in South-America Clay Swing in February. Otherwise, I donīt know if he will have the mental strength that it will take to climb-up 100 spots in the rank again, just to get back to Top100.
Playing a lot of minor challengers, and all, a player that for about three consecutive seasons was a solid ATP level player...

Go Gil!

Things are getting worse and worse. As I said before, it was wierd that he kept the same coach for this season, since he didnīt win a decent match with him last season (for six months). Now, after postponing the end of pre-season to the end of January, loosing a lot of points, he now dismissed Bernardo Mota, due to lack of evolution in his prep... He got back to eternal coach Cunha e Silva, for the fourth time, I think.
I hope that once again Cunha e Silva does the trick, but I seriously doubt it. Gil's problems are on his head, but moreover he had a bad pre-season, and now first tournament is just two weeks away...
But wish him the best! Go Gil!

sfar
01-19-2013, 10:21 PM
I doubt he will ever enter the Top-100 again. Hope I'm wrong...

Ramsay
03-10-2013, 03:21 PM
I made this video for Fred, he's going back on track on Challenger Pereira. Vamos!

5FGswvhYAqU

sfar
03-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Muito bom o video, espero que seja mesmo um comeback. :yeah:

Sauletekis
03-24-2013, 05:39 AM
grande vídeo. Mete isto na página de fb do Fred :)

tennis2018
03-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Happy Birthday Frederico (found this pic on a fan site)

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=262058&stc=1&d=1364120363

Ramsay
03-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks guys, Frederico will give me a gift, so nice. :)

Next tournament will be Casablanca, he's fighting so much with himself, hard road.

sfar
03-31-2013, 10:43 PM
What? When? :bigclap:

Ramsay
04-17-2013, 09:39 PM
What? When? :bigclap:

I just saw this now, sorry. He's comeing now, he just said that is a surprise, are no. :)

sfar
04-21-2013, 02:26 AM
I saw him and chated a while with him in Madrid Masters last year. It's really a shame what's happened to him this last year, I really hope he recovers and shows that he's still a great tennis player.

Ramsay
05-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Well, Gil will stop playing again...

The Prince
05-23-2013, 05:03 PM
He's taking a break, or stopping for good? :shrug: :(

sfar
05-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Really??

It's a shame, I felt really sorry for him when he lost to Ricardo Jorge in the 1st round of this week's future.

Do you think it's the end of his career?

Sauletekis
05-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Well, there is more important things in life than tennis. He needs to take care of this serious healt problem. This is not about tennis anymore, but about him having a good life. I really hope he does. Anyway, we portuguese fans will always thank him for what he has done for our tennis. He was without a doubt, our most successfull player.

CooCooCachoo
05-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Well, Gil will stop playing again...

Wow, really? I hope he can overcome his mental health problems. It must be so frustrating :hug:

Ramsay
05-23-2013, 05:54 PM
Well, I have a private information. He'll probably retire forever. I'm not seeing him doing another comeback.

VamosHoracio
05-23-2013, 07:55 PM
He is into the doubles final in Coimbra, hopefully he wins so his career ends with a title.

Gil&becker
09-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Go Gil forever! Have a nice life, if it happens what seems now-a-days more and more a reality. You have done so much for Portuguese Tennis!

Ramsay
10-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Frederico Gil is amazing. He was in a deep depression and reacted, fought back and now he's already making plans to comeback in 2014. He already has protected ranking, but I think that is out of top-450. He's a fighter, his career isn't finished yet!

sfar
10-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Frederico Gil is amazing. He was in a deep depression and reacted, fought back and now he's already making plans to comeback in 2014. He already has protected ranking, but I think that is out of top-450. He's a fighter, his career isn't finished yet!
Really? That's great news. And do you know the schedule? I guess he'll start playing futures, right?

Even if he loses all matches in his comeback we should give him the best support we can, he deserves it.

Ramsay
10-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Really? That's great news. And do you know the schedule? I guess he'll start playing futures, right?

Even if he loses all matches in his comeback we should give him the best support we can, he deserves it.

When I said, yeah, it was happening. But Gil got worst again and was hospitalized...

sfar
10-23-2013, 01:53 PM
It seems that the medical diagnosis was wrong, he doesn't have a bi-polar disorder, they were medicating him wrong. :eek:

He's going to come back in 2014, definitely, though it may take the whole year for him to be back to his old form.

Ramsay
10-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Yeah, Fred found that he isn't bipolar something like.. 1 month ago, if I'm not wrong. Now he have new medication and he's stable, more confidente in himself. Will be back training at 28th October, next week. Vamos Fred! This guy is such a fighter, he's an example for everyone.

Gil&becker
10-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Yeah, Fred found that he isn't bipolar something like.. 1 month ago, if I'm not wrong. Now he have new medication and he's stable, more confidente in himself. Will be back training at 28th October, next week. Vamos Fred! This guy is such a fighter, he's an example for everyone.

:):):):):):):):)

These are incredible news! I knew that he was coming back into training, I didnīt know that he changed mediaction, and Bipolar disease is not an issue anymore. So happy for him. What ever happens in terms of tennis career from now on, it's his life that is coming back into terms.
Go Gil! Hope to see you back at next year's Portugal Open! But more important, hope that you have a nice healthy life!

Ramsay
12-07-2013, 03:11 PM
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1461171_731887580172312_1448479671_n.jpg

Frederico Gil with Rui Machado on last Friday. :) How nice to see Gil working hard.

Ramsay
01-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Frederico Gil is back! He'll play 3 Futures in a row in Portugal in February.

Ramsay
01-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Here is the list: http://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/tournaments/men's-tournament/info.aspx?tournamentid=1100031132

Gil got the MD. He's back!

Ramsay
02-03-2014, 09:12 PM
The first opponent on his comeback is Matthew Short. Plays tomorrow the 2nd match on the CC. Vamos!!

Ramsay
02-04-2014, 05:07 PM
GSM Gil! I missed this words!

He started in Vale do Lobo with a victory. 7-5 6-3, played solid tennis but very away from his best. Mental he needs a lot of confidence. Still, a victory is a victory.

sfar
02-04-2014, 05:22 PM
It's a huge start after so many time.

Welcome back, Fred!!!

Ramsay
02-14-2014, 08:06 PM
After losing 6-7 in the 3rd against Golding last week (Golding won the tournament and Gil even was 5-3 up against him in the 3rd), Gil is back this week and won the 1st round 6-1 7-6(8).

Keep going Fred :D

Sauletekis
04-07-2014, 07:58 PM
I wonder if if retirement is not the best decision for Gil career now. He is getting destroyed by future level players and even if he isn't old, seems like his brain is washed up and I wonder if he has motivation to going up in the ladders now. Clearly he still has serious mental issues which seems permanet, at least for playing tennis. He is almost out of top 1000 now, which means that it will be hard even to enter futures MD. And the worst part is that his current level of tennis is indeed qualifying futures level, meaning it will be a huge number of steps to even dreaming of getting close to his average level.

He can still be very usefull to portuguese tennis. He can become a coach like Frederico Marques did. Marques retired at a very young age, understanding he couldn't give more as a player and he never was a good one to begin with. He started a partnership with a young Joao Sousa and look where they are now! top 40 an ATP tittle, when Joao Sousa wasn't even supposed to be that great player in the early stages as a pro. And Marques is even younger than Gil (27 years old, and started with Sousa at 24!!) Gil could help one of many young guns we have now appearing like Silva, Domingues or even Mensurado and maybe.

Maybe you Ramsey who claims to be a friend of Gil can say your thoughts about this idea and about the current state of Gil, mentally.

Luso
04-08-2014, 01:17 AM
Give him a break,

Ramsay
04-08-2014, 10:35 PM
I wonder if if retirement is not the best decision for Gil career now. He is getting destroyed by future level players and even if he isn't old, seems like his brain is washed up and I wonder if he has motivation to going up in the ladders now. Clearly he still has serious mental issues which seems permanet, at least for playing tennis. He is almost out of top 1000 now, which means that it will be hard even to enter futures MD. And the worst part is that his current level of tennis is indeed qualifying futures level, meaning it will be a huge number of steps to even dreaming of getting close to his average level.

He can still be very usefull to portuguese tennis. He can become a coach like Frederico Marques did. Marques retired at a very young age, understanding he couldn't give more as a player and he never was a good one to begin with. He started a partnership with a young Joao Sousa and look where they are now! top 40 an ATP tittle, when Joao Sousa wasn't even supposed to be that great player in the early stages as a pro. And Marques is even younger than Gil (27 years old, and started with Sousa at 24!!) Gil could help one of many young guns we have now appearing like Silva, Domingues or even Mensurado and maybe.

Maybe you Ramsey who claims to be a friend of Gil can say your thoughts about this idea and about the current state of Gil, mentally.

It's really complicated. It's complex. Give him time, he won't retire, for sure. His tennis is already there again, but there are A LOT of mental "barriers" that he needs to beat. He's going, step by step, slowly. He has to climb the Everest, but he'll make it. Don't expect big results soon, just expect to Gil find himself on court.

It's so much things going on about him. He's getting better and better, find the good road, trying. Failing, going in another way. Give him time.

And Gil wouldn't be a good coach right now.

bck.adi
04-26-2014, 11:12 AM
Gil will play qualis at Oeiras. 1st round against Munoz de la Nava

Ramsay
04-26-2014, 07:35 PM
Won 6-4 6-7(7) 6-4. The lack of competition was obvious, needed 9 MP to close the match. Had 5 MP on the 2nd set.

http://i.imgur.com/WCj4v9d.jpg

Ramsay
04-30-2014, 08:39 PM
Gil practiced with Sijsling yesterday and they did a small set. Gil won 5-1.

Gil practiced with Raonci today and they did a set. Gil won 6-3!

tennis2018
05-05-2014, 01:35 PM
I don't know!?

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=279177&stc=1&d=1399293291

Ramsay
05-05-2014, 08:09 PM
That's from a player party, where some players tried to be others. That's Frederico 'Azarenka' Gil. :P

Btw, he'll play 2 Challengers next weeks. Vamos.

tennis2018
05-05-2014, 11:01 PM
Awesome thanks