Clay Season 2011 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Clay Season 2011

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Puschkin
04-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Report; 9 April 2011

No Richard in Monte Carlo today, but I arrived only at 4.00 pm, Ljubicic and Piatti just left a practise court, Juergen Melzer was in the same plane as me and I saw the following players briefly at practise: Melzer, Chardy, Llodra, Tsonga, Davydenko, Youzhny, Berdych, Troicki, Ferrer, Lopez and the qualifying match Benneteau- Kubot.

ImmzB
04-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Gasquet will play Istomin in the 1st round in Monte Carlo, possible 3rd round meeting with Nadal!

Tough draw for Richard, hopefully he can make the 2nd round, having Rafa in your 1/8 does make things easier when you want to progress, but hopefully he can set up a 3rd round meeting with Rafa, but it's 1 match at a time.

Allez Gasquet!!

Naina
04-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Good Luck Richie :D

Gagsquet
04-10-2011, 11:06 AM
I really hope he will reach the third round to face Nadal. I especially wait for a fight against the matador and not a capitulation of Richie.

ImmzB
04-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Richard & Ljubicic will play Nicolas Almagro & Milos Raonic in the Doubles 1st round.

scmom
04-10-2011, 04:54 PM
enjoy the event , Puschkin. Always look forward to your reports from the grounds .
Good luck to Richard . Not the best draw - but let's just take it one match at a time .
As for doubles, that is an interesting match up - Almagro and Raonic?
wonder if the boy can play on clay . I saw him at IW and he sure has a lot of easy power - effortless really - but he seems more comfortable around the net than the baseline .

ImmzB
04-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Richard is 2nd on Court Central tommorow (Monday) not before 11.30 local time.

Allez! :)

Puschkin
04-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Report 10 April

Richard practised with Tsonga today; looking good; Score was 3*-2 in his favour when they stopped, lots of people, could not get close to him after practise; I tried to catch up, but got stuck in the crowd for Nadal, went to watch matches on centre court, Chardy poor against Ljubicic, watched a bit of Llodra-Raonic and they annonced on the screen that Richard would sign autographs at 3.45 at the stand of French Tennis Magazine, I went there but could not get lcose; preference was given to kids, then Richard handed some trophies at a kids' competetion and I overheard someone saying he would stay only 10 minutes.

I had the idea he might leave the premisses after that, so I waited for him at the players' exit and this was a good guess. I was finally close to him without too large crowds, I unfolded my banner and with a recognising smile I got "aaaah, bonjour ca va?" I said it was much more difficult to meet him than last year and he answered "Yes, it is tough". I am not sure what he meant. I asked him to sign the banner and thanked him and than he thanked me; I am not quite sure what for. Finished the day watching Gulbis-Dolgopolov.

silverwhite
04-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Report 10 April

Richard practised with Tsonga today; looking good; Score was 3*-2 in his favour when they stopped, lots of people, could not get close to him after practise; I tried to catch up, but got stuck in the crowd for Nadal, went to watch matches on centre court, Chardy poor against Ljubicic, watched a bit of Llodra-Raonic and they annonced on the screen that Richard would sign autographs at 3.45 at the stand of French Tennis Magazine, I went there but could not get lcose; preference was given to kids, then Richard handed some trophies at a kids' competetion and I overheard someone saying he would stay only 10 minutes.

I had the idea he might leave the premisses after that, so I waited for him at the players' exit and this was a good guess. I was finally close to him without too large crowds, I unfolded my banner and with a recognising smile I got "aaaah, bonjour ca va?" I said it was much more difficult to meet him than last year and he answered "Yes, it is tough". I am not sure what he meant. I asked him to sign the banner and thanked him and than he thanked me; I am not quite sure what for. Finished the day watching Gulbis-Dolgopolov.

Thanks for the report!

Probably thanking you for all the support? I should go to a tournament with you one of these days :lol:

Jozie
04-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the reports Puschkin.
It's so pleasing to see that he is so well supported and is still so popular.
Have an awesome time! :wavey:

Naina
04-10-2011, 07:12 PM
thanks for the report :)

*julie*
04-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the report Puschkin. :worship:
Can't wait to see your banner on tv! ;)

Cloudygirl
04-10-2011, 09:29 PM
what does your banner say.

Not that I think I can pick you out in a crowd cos I think I'll be at work :(

Naina
04-11-2011, 11:25 AM
I shouldn't have missed class for this :tape:

Edit: from double break down at 4-1 to 5-5. Well done.

ImmzB
04-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Gasquet 5-7 6-3 6-4

Gasquet started the match slow whereas Istomin made a good and confident start, Richard was a double break down at 1-4* but got 1 of them back and when Istomin served for the 1st set 5-4, Richard broke again but was broken straight after :sad: Istomin then did serve the set out for the 2nd time of asking after saving a break point.

Gasquet began to play better in the 2nd set, getting an early break and from there wasn't really troubled on serve, Gasquet takes the 2nd set 6-3.

The 3rd set was close, both players holding, Richard did have 3 BP at 1-1 but couldn't convert, at 3-3 Istomin hurt his ankle but didn't have a medical time out straight away he waited till the game was over which he held. The injury time didn't seem to affect Richard he then held his service and the game after he broke Istomin to serve for the match and which he did with a FH winner! :)

So Richard didn't play his best tennis but he's got the win which is the most important thing!

ImmzB
04-11-2011, 01:58 PM
I was also happy because Richard was showing some emotion on the court, he sometimes says "Allez" and the makes "Fist Pumps" now and then in matches but in this match he was saying Allez and pumping his fists more which was good to see!

More of that please! :)

Schu
04-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Pretty ugly match but it's a win and that's never a bad thing. My mom always said if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all, so I'll just stop here.

I will say that at times his forehand looked pretty good - deep and offensive but I still hold my breathe every time he wacks a forehand cuz I just don't have much faith in it.

On to round 2. Allez!

ImmzB
04-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Richard is back in action, he's playing his doubles match.

Gasquet/Ljubicic 3-2* Almagro/Raonic

ImmzB
04-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Richard and Ljubicic take the 1st set 6-3! :)

ImmzB
04-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Richard and Ljubicic win 6-3 6-2! :bigclap:

Puschkin
04-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Report 12 April 2011
My train was late, so I missed Richard's warm-up, just saw him leaving the court on the other side, I had a long chat with French friends and then I went to CC not to miss anything, Richard was tense against Istomin, but he grinded it out, I had my banner up, but the gentlemen next to me complained about it, he said he doesn't want to be filmed, even if there were no cameras on the other side. :rolleyes:

Luckily other people told him to shut up and encouraged me to go on, after his win I went to see Davydenko-Haase on a small court, great to watch a match so close, Haase could be dangerous in the future.

Then it was time for Richard's doubles, Ljubcic is such a reassuring presence, in the beginning Richard touched his back and looked a bit worried, I don't think it was an injury, though, just stiffness after his long match before, but the longer the match lasted, the better his play became. They looked good together, Ljubicic very reliable on serve and return and Richard with some good net-play and wearing Almagro down on the BH side; It was so much more comfortbale to watch than the singles match. Richard won't play tomorrow.

ImmzB
04-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Richard will play G.Garcia-Lopez in the 2nd round after he beat Vincent Millot 6-2 6-4.

Naina
04-12-2011, 01:20 PM
GGL is always tough. I hope Richard wins and hopefully the match will third or fourth up :)

ImmzB
04-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Richard is 1st up on Court Central on Wednesday against Garcia Lopez for his 2nd round match which will start at 11.00 local time and 10.00 BST.

Puschkin
04-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Report 12 April

Started the day with watching an easier win from Simon against Bellucci than expected, Then I caught up with Ricahrd practising with two sparring partners, he was touchinghis back and looked a bit moody. I decided to leave him alone after today, I am sure he wished more for a shower than talking to me, but I exchanged some words with Piatti, I asked about the back and he confirmed my idea that it was just stiffness, not a real problem.

Back on centre court, Roger destroyed a poor Kohlschreiber, then I felt Richard might exit the premisses, so I hung around at the players` exit, but no luck. I went to watch the Bennetau-Chardy doubles, which they won, to be back on CC for Raonic beating Gulbis, or Gulbis beating himself.

ImmzB
04-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Gasquet 6-2 6-1 GGL

Nice comfortable victory for Richard, he played a good consistent tennis and he got better when the match went on!! :bounce:

Next for Richard it will be Nadal (very likely) or Nieminen.

Also Richard showed emotion just like in his 1st match, pumping his fist and shouting "Allez"
Keep it up! :)

ImmzB
04-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Richard has had 2 good wins here, having to play likely the king of clay in the 3rd where he was building some momentum! :mad:
If he had anyone else possibly in the 3rd would of been nice and then maybe play Rafa later in the tournament! :)

But this is part of game, if Richard wants to be the best he has to beat them! :)

Richard has just said "He can't play 10 feet behind the baseline because he will have no chance against Rafa, correct! :) He also said I have to be "aggressive"
He knows what he has to do atleast! :D

Vlad1980
04-13-2011, 10:24 AM
He started out playing fairly passive but GGL was missing a lot but still a lot of long rallies in first set, but matchwise, this one favored Richard from beginning. I feel like Richard served very well at times when he needed.
A lot of very effective serve and volley. He will need that against Rafa and a lot of good returning and short points. He won't win many games by just grinding far from baseline.

Good luck!

ImmzB
04-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Richard will play his doubles match after M.Gonzalez and Almagro match is completed.
Richard and Ljubicic take on the 2nd seeds, M Mirnyi & D Nestor in the 2nd round.

ImmzB
04-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Richard will overtake Tsonga in the rankings, he will go to number 17.
Players below Richard in the rankings who are still in the tournament could go above him but they need to reach the later stages of the tournament.

ImmzB
04-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Richard and Ljubicic loose 2-6 5-7 in the 2nd round.

Puschkin
04-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Report 13 April 2011 That was another Richard who entered the court today, co,mpard to Monday. The first service game already set the tone, things are so much easier with a first serve, then a relatively easy win from Monfils against Gimeno-Traver, though his lack of match practise does show. I watched a bit of the Benneteau/Chardy doubles and then settled on court 2 where Richard's doubles was scheduled. Watched a tough battle between Almagro and M. Gonzalez, luckily my French friends texted me that meanwhile Richard's doubles had changed court. I rushed there and they were already broken. Both did not go for the maXimum, but had fun on court but a gainst a quality doubles like Mirnyi/Nestor an occasional nice winner won't do. Finished the day with some games of the Monfils/Tsonga doubles and some players' exit hanging around to get a glimpse of Murray, Melzer, Trocki, M. Gonzalez and Mirnyi.

Cloudygirl
04-13-2011, 07:58 PM
»

TennisTV TennisTV.com
Post your questions here for Richard Gasquet for our Q&A session with the French star in Monte-Carlo.
10 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

from twitter

Blackbriar
04-14-2011, 08:58 AM
allez richard! This is the kind of match you are playing for!

Vlad1980
04-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Poor serving in first set, overall was fighting himself more. Second set much better, but still he should have done more on return of serve, was backing up too often. Overall, he fought well, nice break back to even at 4-4, but then played panicky game and 3 easy misses and that was it. Maybe better result than most expected, but he still needs to improve movement, positioning to do some damage on clay this year.

Schu
04-14-2011, 12:09 PM
I didn't see the first half of first set but overall I thought Richard played very well (except the game in second set when he lost his serve right after breaking - knew Richard would play loose and Rafa would kick it up - you could see it on Rafa's face). Richard tried everything he knew to do but Rafa was as usual just too tough. I think Richard today could have beaten ALMOST anyone else in the draw-too bad he got Rafa so soon.

Was impressed with his attitude throughout- not giving up and staying pumped up the whole match. And is it just wishful thinking or is his forehand actually looking much better?

Schu
04-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Poor serving in first set, overall was fighting himself more. Second set much better, but still he should have done more on return of serve, was backing up too often. Overall, he fought well, nice break back to even at 4-4, but then played panicky game and 3 easy misses and that was it. Maybe better result than most expected, but he still needs to improve movement, positioning to do some damage on clay this year.

I actually thought his positioning was not that bad considering the spin off Rafa's ball, I excepted him to play deeper than he did. With Richard's stroke technique he is never going to be able to play consistently as close in against players who hit like Rafa. From what I saw he did seem a LITTLE more agressive on some returns but agree he could ALWAYS be more so.

ImmzB
04-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Richard played a good match against Rafa but Rafa was too solid!
Richard tried to change it up which good too see! :)
Richard fought till the end! :)

This has been a good week for him, he can positives out of this week and back it up in Barcelona which is important! :)

Allez!! :bounce:

yuri27
04-14-2011, 12:26 PM
I didn't see the first half of first set but overall I thought Richard played very well (except the game in second set when he lost his serve right after breaking - knew Richard would play loose and Rafa would kick it up - you could see it on Rafa's face). Richard tried everything he knew to do but Rafa was as usual just too tough. I think Richard today could have beaten ALMOST anyone else in the draw-too bad he got Rafa so soon.

Was impressed with his attitude throughout- not giving up and staying pumped up the whole match. And is it just wishful thinking or is his forehand actually looking much better?

Well,it was his FH again which let him down in the most crucial moments(especially in that game at 4-4) so.....

juvvi
04-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Well,it was his FH again which let him down in the most crucial moments(especially in that game at 4-4) so.....

yes, his forehand looked awesome in the first half of the first set. But let him down when it mattered in 4-4 second set. His backhand though, he should've hit deeper and with higher spin into nadal's forehand :) but its easier said that done, I guess. His backhand put in a lot of short stuff, which is bad sign, but Nadal wasn't good enough to take full toll of it.

Vlad1980
04-14-2011, 12:31 PM
I actually thought his positioning was not that bad considering the spin off Rafa's ball, I excepted him to play deeper than he did. With Richard's stroke technique he is never going to be able to play consistently as close in against players who hit like Rafa. From what I saw he did seem a LITTLE more agressive on some returns but agree he could ALWAYS be more so.

He needed to play yet more aggressive but I agree he played more aggressive than usual. That is why I say he was maybe fighting himself more, because he was trying, but every other point he would back off again and let Rafa dictate which is suicidal. Overall, he played a good match of course... but I still want to see more aggressive second serve returns and then moving in and not back off for duration of points.

yuri27
04-14-2011, 12:59 PM
yes, his forehand looked awesome in the first half of the first set. But let him down when it mattered in 4-4 second set. His backhand though, he should've hit deeper and with higher spin into nadal's forehand :) but its easier said that done, I guess. His backhand put in a lot of short stuff, which is bad sign, but Nadal wasn't good enough to take full toll of it.

I think a lot of it has to due with the moonballing Nadal never stopped of doing to his BH.
It's very very hard to hit a long BH being a one-hander on a very high ball(as Roger could testify!).

Blackbriar
04-14-2011, 01:02 PM
He is showing some confidence back.
ok, next is Barcelona.
being 9th, Gasquet would have to play either 5/Berdych, 6/Melzer, 7/ Monfils or 8/ Almagro in 3rd. All of them are within his reach, maybe Almagro and Monfils a bit harder, but defiantly playable anyway.

Gasquetno.1
04-14-2011, 01:09 PM
I think he did very well considering how high it was going to his back hand. Richard puts a lot of spin on it as well and Nadal struggled sometimes to cope with it on his back hand so actually I think hitting it with a lot of spin and deep rather than flattening it out all the time was a good tactic.

Also I think his forehand looked better purely because he is playing on clay, he has a long swing on that side so the slow courts give him more time to prepare it, I think his forehand has always been better on clay!

Blackbriar
04-14-2011, 02:58 PM
16 winners for 17 UE is not bad for a lost match. He didn't miss that much. made 0 DF too.

Puschkin
04-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Report 14 April 2011

Met up with Ney, A fan from th English thread on rgnet, and we headed to the practise courts first, not a bad idea, after some 20 minutes Richard did his warm up with the sparring partners. I was able to convince Ney that it might not be a good moment to ask for pics, and indeed, Richard left quickly. We decided to head towards CC; when I suddenly heard someone calling "Puschkin, Puschkin". It was Richard's mum, I could hardly believe my ears, she had recognised me after our very short talk last year. This year our conversation was much longer and she was very nice to me.

Then, Richard's match. Well, there is not much to say: you don't beat Nadal without a first serve, the rest of his game was good, I felt. We decided to watch Federer and then meet up to wait for Richard at the players' exit, and there, my timing went totally wrong; We were there after 90 minutes - my experience was even 2 hours - but we missed him. I hope that Ney is not too mad at me, she got to see Nadal and Novak, yes, Novak is in MC, I even saw him practising later.

After a goodbye to Ney, I decided to try to get into the Court des Princes for Juergen, but no luck, even if there was enough space left, then it started to rain and I left the premisses.

Gagsquet
04-14-2011, 06:31 PM
In Barcelona, Richie could make some damage with a good draw!

Blackbriar
04-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Report 14 April 2011

Met up with Ney, A fan from th eEnglish thread on rgnet, and we headed to the practise courts first, not a bad idea, after a some 20 minutes Richard did his warm up with the sparring partners. I was able to convince Ney that it might not be a good moment to ask for pics, and indeed, Richard left quickly. We decided to head towards CC; when I suddenly heard someone calling "Puschkin, Puschkin". It was Richard's mum, I could hardly believe my ears, she had recognised me after our very short talk last year. This year our conversation was much longer and she was very nice to me.

Then, Richard's match. Well, there is not much to say: you don't beat Nadal without a first serve, the rest of his game was good, I felt. We decided to watch Federer and then meet up to wait for Richard at the players' exit, and there, my timing went totally wrong; We were there after 90 minutes - my experience was even 2 hours - but we missed him. I hope that Ney is not too mad at me, she got to see Nadal and Novak, yes, Novak is in MC, I even saw him practising later.

After a goodbye to Ney, I decided to try to get into the Court des Princes for Juergen, but no luck, even if there was enough space left, then it started to rain and I left the premisses.

thanks for your reports, Pushkin, we almost felt we were there :)

ImmzB
04-14-2011, 07:09 PM
In Barcelona, Richie could make some damage with a good draw!

Yeah, he needs to play well and then yes he could do some damage in Barcelona.
I'm just hoping him and Rafa are in opposite halfs! :D

Roger the Dodger
04-14-2011, 08:13 PM
No issues with Richie today. He fulfilled his potential in MC.

*julie*
04-14-2011, 08:46 PM
A good match despite the defeat of course. But what do you expect against Nadal. I am sure Richard learn a lot from this kind of match. Hopefully he will have better draws in BCN and other coming tournaments. With his current level and confidence, this is promising.

Again, thanks a lot Puschkin for your reports.
Btw, I saw you in the crowd today. You were wearing a blue top. ;)

scmom
04-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks so much for your reports, Puschkin! How nice that Richard's mom remembered you
I wondered if I saw you the other day on television . There was a woman holding up a sign that said Richard - and I wondered if it was you .

all in all a good tournament for him. He played a good match against Nadal - so it is hard to complain.
On to Barcelona ! Hope it goes well for him there

icecastle
04-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Puschkin I would have given you a good rep if I could. Anyway, thanks so much for your report and im so happy for you! :hug:

mukado
04-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Report 14 April 2011

Met up with Ney, A fan from th eEnglish thread on rgnet, and we headed to the practise courts first, not a bad idea, after a some 20 minutes Richard did his warm up with the sparring partners. I was able to convince Ney that it might not be a good moment to ask for pics, and indeed, Richard left quickly. We decided to head towards CC; when I suddenly heard someone calling "Puschkin, Puschkin". It was Richard's mum, I could hardly believe my ears, she had recognised me after our very short talk last year. This year our conversation was much longer and she was very nice to me.

Love the way you are a responsible fan, not disturbing him at the wrong time.;)

ImmzB
04-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Barcelona

Gasquet, seeded 9th will play J.I.Chela in the 1st round, tough 1st round match with Chela who is a good solid player on the clay and beat Richard last year in South America.

Possible 3rd round meeting with Monfils and he is in Rafa's quarter! :sad:

Draw: http://www.barcelonaopenbancsabadell.com/admin/media/uploads/noticias/MDS.pdf

Blackbriar
04-16-2011, 05:24 PM
Richard is really unlucky, Tennis Gods don't want him to progress. Good thing is Monfils is brought into his misery, so french medias won't have the option to praise him instead of supporting Ritchie.

ImmzB
04-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Richard is really unlucky, Tennis Gods don't want him to progress. Good thing is Monfils is brought into his misery, so french medias won't have the option to praise him instead of supporting Ritchie.

Most of times Richard does avoid Nadal in the Draws for them not be in the same halfs but it's luck as you are picking it out of a bucket.

Allez Richard!!

ImmzB
04-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Richard will play his 1st round match against Chela on Tuesday as Chela will be playing the Doubles Final in Monte Carlo tommorow.

mukado
04-17-2011, 03:21 PM
I'm afraid being seeded 16 is really a great great problem in GC and M1000. He will always play Nadal or Djoko in 1/8 and could not progress. In a ATP500 like Barcelona, it was an opportunity to have a better draw but he's very very unlucky.
Seed 21-24 is almost better. He absolutly must to progress to seed 12 to have a good draw in Wimbly.

ImmzB
04-17-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm afraid being seeded 16 is really a great great problem in GC and M1000. He will always play Nadal or Djoko in 1/8 and could not progress. In a ATP500 like Barcelona, it was an opportunity to have a better draw but he's very very unlucky.
Seed 21-24 is almost better. He absolutly must to progress to seed 12 to have a good draw in Wimbly.

Yeah I understand that, so if he is a seed between 21-24 he will face a seed between 5-8 in the 4th round right but he could have a tough match against the 9-12 seed in the 3rd......

If he is seeded from 13-16 he could potentially face a top 4 seed in the 4th round.

You don't want Richie to have Rafa potentially in the 4th round, that would put most his fans off the draw! :p

So it's depends what way you look at it then.....
I think the best thing for him is to win matches, deeper into tournaments and go further up in the rankings!

Blackbriar
04-18-2011, 09:01 AM
It's always better to have a better ranking. MS seeds are 4 by 4, but GS seeds are 8 by 8. top 4 play any of the last 8 seeds, and not 4 seeds.
If he is in 9-16 group by RG (very unlikely but possible) he will play a lower ranked player in 3rd round, which is always better. Any 17-24 is arguably within his reach. Then, in 4th he has a top 8. But not necessarily Djoko/Nadal. Berdych, Ferrer, Murray, Melzer are really tough, but Gasquet has a real chance to top them, unlike the top 2.

He can definitely reach 3rd round at both RG and Wimbly, and that's 90+90=180 pts, and he will be top 15 after Wim :)

ImmzB
04-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Gasquet is 2nd on court 1 on Tuesday

No streaming! :sad:

mukado
04-18-2011, 04:29 PM
It's always better to have a better ranking. MS seeds are 4 by 4, but GS seeds are 8 by 8. top 4 play any of the last 8 seeds, and not 4 seeds.
If he is in 9-16 group by RG (very unlikely but possible) he will play a lower ranked player in 3rd round, which is always better. Any 17-24 is arguably within his reach. Then, in 4th he has a top 8. But not necessarily Djoko/Nadal. Berdych, Ferrer, Murray, Melzer are really tough, but Gasquet has a real chance to top them, unlike the top 2.

He can definitely reach 3rd round at both RG and Wimbly, and that's 90+90=180 pts, and he will be top 15 after Wim :)

Thank you for the rules; i didn't know if it was 4 by 4 or 8 by 8 !
One chance for Ritchie to be in 9-16 group in RG is bad results for Verdasco in Barcelona and Rome.:o

scmom
04-18-2011, 06:07 PM
never quite sure of the math regarding rankings , but fwiw - Verdasco is not playing Barcelona at all . He apparently got into a pissing contest with the tournament director there - and is getting a nice little appearance fee at Estoril. So he is playing Estoril instead. I know he will lose a large number of rankings points there that cannot be replaced .
He is sure to go down in the rankings ( unless he wins Rome or Madrid )

But , a question regarding Richard and his ranking - He is doing well progressing up nicely so far this year . But what about the ranking points from Nice and the challenger. That 's like 300+ points that will come off before the French. And will that affect his seeding there ? I know the seedings come out a bit ahead of the latest rankings - so hopefully , it won't be that big of a problem .

Puschkin
04-19-2011, 05:32 AM
Back home with some final Monte Carlo comments:

What is the difference between 75 and 18? :p

Last year, at the start of the Monte Carlo tournament, Richard was ranked 75, this year 18. Last year it was rather easy to meet him after practise, this year he drew considerable crowds, and if one chose the wrong exit to wait for him, it was over, as one could not get through to the good one. So I met him less often than last year, in fact only once closely, still I felt his presence much more at this tournament, he was talked about much more.

His tennis is also much better than it was last year, when he had troubles to return a Zeballos serve during one and a half hours of practise. He is much more determined, he can hit FH winners and he did not get humiliated against Nadal as he did last year against Berdych.

Too bad, I could not move on to Barcelona with him!

teem
04-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Back home with some final Monte Carlo comments:

What is the difference between 75 and 18? :p

Last year, at the start of the Monte Carlo tournament, Richard was ranked 75, this year 18. Last year it was rather easy to meet him after practise, this year he drew considerable crowds, and if one chose the wrong exit to wait for him, it was over, as one could not get through to the good one. So I met him less often than last year, in fact only once closely, still I felt his presence much more at this tournament, he was talked about much more.

His tennis is also much better than it was last year, when he had troubles to return a Zeballos serve during one and a half hours of practise. He is much more determined, he can hit FH winners and he did not get humiliated against Nadal as he did last year against Berdych.

Too bad, I could not move on to Barcelona with him!

Thanks for all your reports from monte carlo, that was nice !
for barcelone I don't find any live stream today !!! and richard on scoreboard seems to play ... not very good :(

ImmzB
04-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Chela will serve for the 1st set *5-2, double break!

:sad:

silverwhite
04-19-2011, 11:04 AM
2-5 :tape:

ImmzB
04-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Chela takes the 1st 6-2! :(

Richard did have 3 BP when Chela broke for a 3-2 lead but couldn't convert!

Richard needs to regroup for the 2nd set!

teem
04-19-2011, 11:10 AM
:( richard ! play your game don't do like me who is looking the score board and nothing else !!!!

ImmzB
04-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Gasquet leads 3-0 in the 2nd! :)

ImmzB
04-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Gasquet broken.

4-3*

ImmzB
04-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Gasquet 2-6 6-6 (*3-0) Chela

Double MB Gasquet!!

ImmzB
04-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Gasquet 2-6 6-6 (5-1*) Chela

Double MB Gasquet!!

ImmzB
04-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Gasquet 2-6 7-6 (7-2) 0-0* Chela

Gasquet takes the 2nd set!! :)

silverwhite
04-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Broken :help:

1-3

ImmzB
04-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Gasquet 2-6 7-6 3-3* Chela

Gasquet was 1-3 down but he got the break back, all square at 3-3 in the 3rd.

Gasquetno.1
04-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Break :D

ImmzB
04-19-2011, 12:43 PM
& he does break!!

Gasquet 2-6 7-6 *4-3

Important to back up the break with a good hold here!!

Alllez!

Gasquetno.1
04-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Does Gasquet ever hold after he breaks? He seems to always get broken back or at lease really struggle to hold serve

ImmzB
04-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Chela breaks right back to 30. :(

ImmzB
04-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Does Gasquet ever hold after he breaks? He seems to always get broken back or at lease really struggle to hold serve

He's not making it easy for himself getting broken after he get's the break!

ImmzB
04-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Richard breaks again to 15 and will serve for the match!!!

*5-4

Gasquetno.1
04-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Mental giant ;)

ImmzB
04-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Barcelona 1st Round Result

[9] R.Gasquet 2-6 7-6 (7-2) 6-4 J.I.Chela

ImmzB
04-19-2011, 01:00 PM
This is a very good victory for Richard!!

I'm really impressed, coming from a set down and being down 3-1 in the 3rd set!!

He fought really hard and got his reward!!

He hit his 1st ACE on the match point he had! :lol:
He hit 6 DF which was not good! :(

Great victory!! :yeah:

Alllez!! :woohoo:

silverwhite
04-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Hopefully, this just shows that Chela is a bad match-up and isn't indicative of his form :unsure:

Puschkin
04-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Hopefully, this just shows that Chela is a bad match-up and isn't indicative of his form :unsure:

His form is not bad at all, no comparison to where he was a year ago.:) Besides, winning tight matches always helps.

silverwhite
04-19-2011, 01:13 PM
His form is not bad at all, no comparison to where he was a year ago.:) Besides, winning tight matches always helps.

Form can change quickly from one tournament to another. But yes, I think Chela might be a bad match-up given their history :p

Gasquetno.1
04-19-2011, 01:18 PM
He's also a very good clay court player! He beat Richie last year I think

Puschkin
04-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Form can change quickly from one tournament to another.
I don't think that Ricahrd can build up form out of nowhere, he is a confidence player and he needs wins for his confidence.

Just was texted by friends who are there, they said, if he had played all the match like the last game, he would have won much faster and easier.

silverwhite
04-19-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't think that Ricahrd can build up form out of nowhere, he is a confidence player and he needs wins for his confidence.

Just was texted by friends who are there, they said, if he had played all the match like the last game, he would have won much faster and easier.

He kind of has in the past, no (ex. Wimbledon 07)? Anyway, I meant the opposite, that just because he played well in MC doesn't mean that he is maintaining that form in Barcelona ;)

Schu
04-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Must have been pretty ugly match but Richie also must have fought hard for the win. I'm saying it must have been an ugly win because even on clay Chela should not be a problem for Richie if he is in Top 20 form as his ranking indicates. Winning ugly is something Richard hasn't been known to do very often so good stuff Richie :yeah:

Glad I couldn't see this - must have been a nail bitter.

Schu
04-19-2011, 01:43 PM
just because he played well in MC doesn't mean that he is maintaining that form in Barcelona ;)

And just because he plays well one match and appears confident doesn't mean he'll show the same form in even the next match - that inconsistency between tournaments and even between matches in the same tournament has been a major stumbling block (among other things)to his rise in the rankings.

Puschkin
04-19-2011, 01:44 PM
He kind of has in the past, no (ex. Wimbledon 07)? Anyway, I meant the opposite, that just because he played well in MC doesn't mean that he is maintaining that form in Barcelona ;)

He played well coming into RG in 2007, he just lost that first set against Vliegen and all his grit with it, the opposite from today, I dare to say without having seen the match.

And just because he plays well one match and appears confident doesn't mean he'll show the same form in even the next match

I do not fully agree. Since February (leaving Deblicker) this year he lost to Roger, Novak, Fish and Rafa - all ranked above him. This is not inconsistency.

ImmzB
04-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Richard will next play Blaz Kavcic in the 2nd round.

They have never played before, 1st meeting.

Schu
04-19-2011, 03:35 PM
I do not fully agree. Since February (leaving Deblicker) this year he lost to Roger, Novak, Fish and Rafa - all ranked above him. This is not inconsistency.

I agree that since February he has been in good, solid, form but even during this time his match vs. Istomin was poor (could well have lost it), against GGL not great, poor tactics against Fish and I suspect this match against Chela was not the same high caliber play we've seen in some matches lately so yes he is inconsistent even if he is winning or loosing to top/in form players. When he has a solid run of well played matches for 6-9 months which is what it takes (or a freakish excellent run in a GS) to get to and stay top 15ish, I'll start calling him consistent.

ImmzB
04-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Gasquet is 4th on Court 2 for his 2nd round match on Wednesday.

So no stream again! :(

bleu_cheese
04-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Kavcic is no slouch on clay, but Gasquet should win this one. As long as he reaches Nadal, I'll be happy.

juvvi
04-20-2011, 05:14 AM
Yeah, this time he'll beat Nadal. Hopefully :) Clay is among his better surfaces anyway.

juvvi
04-20-2011, 05:16 AM
It's been 6 yrs now, and the excitement of watching him play hasn't subsided yet. And I'm not even gay. haha..

Puschkin
04-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Come on Richard, we don't need another uphill battle!

Schu
04-20-2011, 01:53 PM
He starts the match in an all too familar way - loosing his serve - was up 40-0 on his serve too. Fortunately I have to go to work so won't have to watch a frustrating scoreboard and Kavic won his in the time it took for me to write this. So down 0-2. Get moving Richard!

ImmzB
04-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Gasquet takes the 1st set 6-3! :)

Slow start but he wins 6 of the last 7 games in the 1st set!

Allez!!

silverwhite
04-20-2011, 02:23 PM
It's been 6 yrs now, and the excitement of watching him play hasn't subsided yet. And I'm not even gay. haha..

Why? Do you have to be gay to be a fan? :o

Puschkin
6-3 Richard, 35 minutes is rather quick for clay, both have very high first serve percentages so far.

silverwhite
He's going to get slaughtered by Nadal :lol:

Puschkin
04-20-2011, 02:28 PM
He's going to get slaughtered by Nadal :lol:
:rolleyes: He did not get slaughtered last week either, and if he wins today, it will be Gael first anyway.

silverwhite
04-20-2011, 02:34 PM
:rolleyes: He did not get slaughtered last week either, and if he wins today, it will be Gael first anyway.

Oops! Haven't looked at the draw closely. Just going by comments here :lol:

Puschkin
04-20-2011, 02:42 PM
All SBs stuck?

ImmzB
04-20-2011, 02:48 PM
LiveScore seems to be working but hasn't updated Richard' score....

ImmzB
04-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Gasquet 6-3 *4-5 Kavcic

Gasquet broken, on serve now...

ImmzB
04-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Gasquet looses the 2nd set 4-6! :(

silverwhite
04-20-2011, 03:13 PM
OMG :help:

silverwhite
04-20-2011, 03:14 PM
2-0 in the third

ImmzB
04-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Barcelona 2nd Round Result

[9] R.Gasquet 6-3 4-6 6-2 B.Kavcic

ImmzB
04-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Gasquet lost a 40-0 lead in the 1st game of the match, from 0-2 down Gasquet won 6 of the last 7 games in the 1st set.

Gasquet went a break up in the 2nd set but then Kavcic broke back and took the 2nd set.

Gasquet went up a break early in the 3rd and at long game at 4-2* Gasquet broke the Kavcic serve once more and served the match out to Love!

Alllez! :bounce:

acd692
yay:D

scmom
glad to see he pulled out another 3 set win
At least the fight is there , just wish this one could have been a quicker - easier win without that second set let down
It does not get any easier from here - Gael then the winner there gets Rafa , do doubt .

ImmzB
04-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Another hard fought win match from Gasquet which is great to see! :yeah:

Next is Monfils, tough match tommorow, 2 hour match today and 2 and half match yesterday, I hope Richard is all fit and ready tommorow!

It should be on a televised court!!

silverwhite
04-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Preparing my vCash for Monfils :lol:

Blackbriar
04-20-2011, 04:05 PM
bravo Richard :yeah:

Schu
04-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Yeah he won! Last I saw he was down 0-2 in the first.

In the end he won but he never seems to learn that he can't let up for a second or not step up when an opponent starts playing better - one of which obviously happened today. He spent a lot longer on the court than he should have today and I hope that doesn't come back to haunt him against Monfils who spent the whole day resting and who is sure to keep RIchard out there for a long time chasing down balls.

Looking forward to the Monfils match - hope Richard plays VERY aggressive and hope he is on a TV court.

Jozie
04-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Richard's match is second up on Court 1 tomorrow.
Spanish players on Centre Court, so I guess little chance his match will be televised. :(
I know I'm biased, but 'Le Monf vs Richie' has to be the most mouth-watering match of the day (unless you are Spanish I suppose). :rolleyes:
A date with Centre Court on Friday, if he beats Monfils tomorrow.
Allez Richie!

ImmzB
04-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Will there be streams for Court 1 tomorrow?

Schu
04-20-2011, 06:54 PM
HUMMM - watch Ferrer and Nadal demolish their opponents or watch what should be a really good match between Richie and Gael - no contest but too bad there are so many spanish players in the tourney, even Lopez and JCF are not on the main court.

Maybe there will be a surprise stream for Court 1 :shrug: or dare I say it-maybe the tennis gods are sparing us... I'm worried Richard has worn himself out with unnecessarily long matches in the early rounds. Or maybe just maybe his fitness is better than I give him credit for. I did hear one of the announcers on tennis TV during Monte Carlo say Richard has really worked on his fitness and is in the best shape he has ever been but guess that wasn't hard to do :tape: Here's hoping he is fit and ready for a long one.

silverwhite
04-21-2011, 10:55 AM
1-3 :worship:

silverwhite
04-21-2011, 11:00 AM
2-3*

Gasquetno.1
04-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Break back!

ImmzB
04-21-2011, 11:06 AM
0-30

30-30

Come on Richard, need to hold after breaking Monfils!!

ImmzB
04-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Gasquet broken again! :mad:

3-4*

Gasquetno.1
04-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Once again gets broken straight back after he breaks

silverwhite
04-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Broken again :cuckoo:

ImmzB
04-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Monfils will serve for the 1st set @ 5-4!

Come on Richard!!!

silverwhite
04-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Now or never :)

Gasquetno.1
04-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Arrrrrghhhhhhhhh he had 2 break points in that last game >:(

ImmzB
04-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Monfils takes the 1st set 6-4.

Richard had 15-40 but couldn't convert! :sad:

Allez Gasquet!!

ImmzB
04-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Big hold from Gasquet, he comes from 0-30 down!! :)

silverwhite
04-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Another BP to waste :lol:

silverwhite
04-21-2011, 11:28 AM
As expected

ImmzB
04-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Gasquet holds to 30 after missing a BP in the previous game!!

Come on Gasquet!!!

ImmzB
04-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Richard holds to 0

Gasquet 4-6 3-2*

ImmzB
04-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Massive hold from Gasquet, saving 4 BP!! :)

4-6 4-3*

Alllez!!

ImmzB
04-21-2011, 11:56 AM
I thought the Spanish Broadcast would show a little moment of the Gasquet match and they did.... At 30-30, Gasquet made an UE hitting into the net and at 40-30 he tried to attack the 1st serve which went out.

4-4

ImmzB
04-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Monfils breaks to 15 and will serve for the match!

Come on Richard!!

ImmzB
04-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Gasquet isn't finished yet, he breaks back! :)

*5-5

ImmzB
04-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Come on, hold your serve Richard!!

ImmzB
04-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Gasquet puts a volley away at 30-15
Monfils goes long with a BH at 40-15!!

6-5*

ImmzB
04-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Tie-Break!!!

6-6

ImmzB
04-21-2011, 12:10 PM
1-4*

silverwhite
04-21-2011, 12:12 PM
*3-4

Now watch his serve let him down :o

ImmzB
04-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Gasquet *3-4

On serve now.... come on Richard hold 2 serves!!

silverwhite
04-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Mp

silverwhite
04-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Mp#2

silverwhite
04-21-2011, 12:19 PM
GSM Monfils

Oh well...

ImmzB
04-21-2011, 12:21 PM
:( :(

The SP he had was close, he could of won the point but Monfils passed him at the net.

Gasquet shannked a BH on MP! :(

Puschkin
04-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Hard to comment without pics, seems to have been a close match overall. To know the level of play from both would be very interesting.

ImmzB
04-21-2011, 01:22 PM
The stats are very even:

Gasquet won 64% 1st serves whereas Monfils won 65%
Both players won 50% 2nd serves points.

Gasquet 1st serve percentage was 74 whereas Monfils was 87.

Gasquet won 29 return points whereas Monfils won 30.

Gasquet broke Monfils twice whereas Monfils broke the Gasquet serve 3 times.

Gasquet won 75 points overall in the match and Monfils won 79.

Schu
04-21-2011, 03:41 PM
I woke up to see Richie down 1-4 in the TB - he made a game out of it and nice to see the fighting spirit continue. Please don't tell me Richard lost his opening service game again as it looks like he was down 1-3 at one point. Sounds like lots of service breaks and again Richie unable to hold serve right after he breaks. HIs break consolidation % must be one of the lowest in the Top 100.

Having not seen a single point no way to judge Richie's form but based on results this tournament, Richie has some improvement to do if he wants to make a run in any of the clay Masters or at RG. Monfils is a tough player on clay but he only played one not so impressive match on clay since his injury and I thought Richie had a real chance to take him.

Well at least I don't have to see Nadal get yet another win over RIchie.

Rest up Richard and come out blazing in Rome - is that next?

Vlad1980
04-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Haven't seen a singe match from this event, but losing to Monfils is not a bad loss on clay. Guy runs and gets every ball back. I think Richard is in decent form on clay so far. He is not losing to bad players, only to those ranked higher, which is ok.

teem
04-21-2011, 03:54 PM
I woke up to see Richie down 1-4 in the TB - he made a game out of it and nice to see the fighting spirit continue. Please don't tell me Richard lost his opening service game again as it looks like he was down 1-3 at one point. Sounds like lots of service breaks and again Richie unable to hold serve right after he breaks. HIs break consolidation % must be one of the lowest in the Top 100.

Having not seen a single point no way to judge Richie's form but based on results this tournament, Richie has some improvement to do if he wants to make a run in any of the clay Masters or at RG. Monfils is a tough player on clay but he only played one not so impressive match on clay since his injury and I thought Richie had a real chance to take him.

Well at least I don't have to see Nadal get yet another win over RIchie.

Rest up Richard and come out blazing in Rome - is that next?

Think next week he will play in zagreb

Puschkin
04-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Think next week he will play in zagreb

:eek: Are you talking about Belgrade? I don't think he will go there, unless he asks for a WC, which would be rather weird in my view.

ImmzB
04-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Gael replied to me saying that he thought Richard played "an alright match"

I asked Gael what do you think was the difference and he replied "I was a bit more offensive"

acd692
04-22-2011, 05:25 AM
damn richard, well let's move on to the other tournament:)

tami
04-22-2011, 12:14 PM
say what you may - but seriously, just finished watching the last few games of match between nadal and monfils right now, and monfils looked completely freaked and dejected by masterclass from nadal!

i think gasquet's fighting spirit and overall demeanour seemed better than monfils' against nadal in monte carlo.

so for me, i think gasquet really should take that into consideration, and use that as motivation....!!! i am going to!

Puschkin
04-22-2011, 12:38 PM
say what you may - but seriously, just finished watching the last few games of match between nadal and monfils right now, and monfils looked completely freaked and dejected by masterclass from nadal!

I doubt that a Richard with three long three set matches in his feet would have challenged Nadal today, and he certainly doesn't need another defeat against him right now. Much better to leave Barcelona, get some rest and improve further.

tami
04-22-2011, 01:16 PM
i agree - i guess what i was trying to say was that from what i saw of monfils' performance today, and what i saw of how gasquet played against nadal at monte carlo, gasquet definitely seemed more of a challenge to nadal on the court. but more than that, i felt gasquet seemed to look more assertive and better in his demeanour against nadal than monfils' approach today. so i am taking these aspects as a positive, and i hope that gasquet can see that he is on the right track too - just need to piece together enough of that to pull off victories and depth in tournaments :)

Schu
04-22-2011, 11:30 PM
i agree - i guess what i was trying to say was that from what i saw of monfils' performance today, and what i saw of how gasquet played against nadal at monte carlo, gasquet definitely seemed more of a challenge to nadal on the court. but more than that, i felt gasquet seemed to look more assertive and better in his demeanour against nadal than monfils' approach today. so i am taking these aspects as a positive, and i hope that gasquet can see that he is on the right track too - just need to piece together enough of that to pull off victories and depth in tournaments :)

Totally agree. Just watched the replay of Nadal/Monfils and Monfils looked clueless (and pretty much was) against Nadal. At least Richard was TRYING to play the way he should against Nadal and was actually successful for a little while. Nadal on clay is pretty much impossible to beat right now but at least Richard gave Nadal something to think about for a few games. Just hope Richard builds on the somewhat more aggressive play he showed against Nadal but he seems to only do that when he has no other choice rather than as his primary game plan.

Gagsquet
04-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Too bad he will be the first unseeded in Madrid :(
I hope a guy above him withdraw

Blackbriar
04-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Too bad he will be the first unseeded in Madrid :(
I hope a guy above him withdraw

yep true, Murray may not play, but don't count on it. On the other hand, top 8 have BYE, so, in worst case, he can only face a top 16. There are not many players after the top 8 who can beat a fresh Gasquet. And if he beats the guy, he has his draw too.

ImmzB
04-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Madrid

Richard will play a Qualifier in round 1 if he wins that he will play J.Melzer in round 2. Roddick, Querrey and Llodra could be waiting for him in round 3.

Possible QF meeting with Nadal, same half as Rafa again!

I don't think it's a bad draw for him until he reaches the QF but it's 1 match at a time!

Puschkin
04-30-2011, 01:39 PM
Three times in a row in Rafa's quarter is not necessarily a good draw. However, I don't believe in real improvement by lucky draws, only playing against top players will help to move up. BTW: thanks to Makiko from rgnet for finding this:

Selon un Tweet de Monaco, Richard s'est entrainé pendant de longues heures avec lui et Nadal hier.
From Monaco's twitter, he practised with Richard yesterady.

Jozie
04-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Presuming Richie gets to the 2nd Round, Melzer could pose a problem. :unsure:

Blackbriar
04-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Not bad of a draw :) he was not seeded, so anything was possible. he escapes the worst, Melzer is tough on clay but i think Gasquet can beat him again, then it's Roddick... makes me think of something ;)

silverwhite
04-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Who's looking past Melzer? :tape:

Blackbriar
05-01-2011, 07:54 AM
I hope Delpo and Davy will win today, because i want them to be seeded for RG.
If any them is not seeded for RG...
well then...
We all know which player Gasquet will draw at RG :sobbing:

ImmzB
05-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Richard will play Gimeno-Traver in the 1st round tommorow, they are 5th on the Arantxa Sanchez Vica Rio court.

Richard did beat Gimeno-Traver last year in Monte Carlo last year in Monte Carlol

Gimeno-Traver has not been in good form, only winning 2 matches all year so far.

Blackbriar
05-01-2011, 06:31 PM
yeah it's really a good draw for Ritchie, look at other qualies: De Bakker, Hanescu and Falla. All these guys have beaten top guys in recent history and could very well upset an average Ritchie. If he plays aggressive right from the start, he should win in 2.

silverwhite
05-01-2011, 08:22 PM
I remember that match in Monte-Carlo :help:

Puschkin
05-02-2011, 07:42 AM
I remember that match in Monte-Carlo :help:

I was there. It was quite a struggle. But Richard was in poor form at that time of last year. Today will be different. Allez! :rocker2:

ImmzB
05-02-2011, 08:19 PM
DGT has started very well, he has an early break at 1-2*

ImmzB
05-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Richard gets the break back and good service game by him to lead 4-3*

ImmzB
05-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Richard takes the 1st set 6-3 :)

He was 1-3 down, 5 games in a row!!

Allez!!

Puschkin
05-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Gimeno-Traver started off great, played very well, but then he allowed Richard to come back. Average match from Richard so far.

Cloudygirl
05-02-2011, 09:16 PM
grrr awful service game.

silverwhite
05-02-2011, 09:22 PM
I knew it :lol:

Is that Captain Obvious' female counterpart commentating? :help:

Cloudygirl
05-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Richard is like please don't let me break you please have this set.

Puschkin
05-02-2011, 09:30 PM
That was the best game overall so far: the firs tBH winner and an aggresive return which set up the point, good pass to finish. But why lose serve again? :mad:

silverwhite
05-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Like clockwork :facepalm:

silverwhite
05-02-2011, 09:36 PM
That was the best game overall so far: the firs tBH winner and an aggresive return which set up the point, good pass to finish. But why lose serve again? :mad:

I knew this match would be a struggle :o

Schu
05-02-2011, 09:37 PM
About damn time he played an "agressive" game. - why does he wait till he is up against the wall to play like that and get the break. Oh well didn't do much good to break - I swear he must consolidate a service break about 20% of the time.

Come on Richie, GGT is playing pretty well but you can CERTAINLY play better than this...

silverwhite
05-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Please don't lose serve here :help:

Schu
05-02-2011, 09:42 PM
What's the odds he holds here...

Cloudygirl
05-02-2011, 09:42 PM
omg could anyone else just kill him or just me then?!

silverwhite
05-02-2011, 09:43 PM
What do you know...?

Cloudygirl
05-02-2011, 09:44 PM
could he be any more inconsistent . Grrrrrrrrr

ImmzB
05-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Come on Richard!!

silverwhite
05-02-2011, 09:46 PM
WTF. He didn't even bother with that last serve? :retard:

Schu
05-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Surprise, surprise

He's huffing and puffing a lot after points - here's a hint richard, maybe if you weren't running down balls from 200 feet behind the baseline you might not be so pooped.

Cloudygirl
05-02-2011, 09:48 PM
WTF. He didn't even bother with that last serve? :retard:

I know. He seems to have a bit of a shitty attitude today which always irritates me.

silverwhite
05-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Surprise, surprise

He's huffing and puffing a lot after points - here's a hint richard, maybe if you weren't running down balls from 200 feet behind the baseline you might not be so pooped.

Preach!

I know. He seems to have a bit of a shitty attitude today which always irritates me.

Today? This happens pretty often :lol:

Cloudygirl
05-02-2011, 09:50 PM
why are you making gestures like that Richard. The reason you are out of position is because you are playing 52 million miles behind the bloody baseline!!

Schu
05-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Preach!

Today? This happens pretty often :lol:

To say something nice about him today - his attitude has actually been better for the past several months.

silverwhite
05-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Whatever

Cloudygirl
05-02-2011, 09:56 PM
and a random federeresque backhand shank!!

Cloudygirl
05-02-2011, 09:57 PM
am debating jinx betting on Gimeno -Traver with actual cash

Cloudygirl
05-02-2011, 09:59 PM
seriously this is beyond pathetic what the hell is he doing today!!

ImmzB
05-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Arrgh broken! :mad:

Come on RICHARD!!

ImmzB
05-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Make him serve it out RICHARD!!

silverwhite
05-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Oh joy!

Cloudygirl
05-02-2011, 10:08 PM
omg just what was that shot!!!!

silverwhite
am debating jinx betting on Gimeno -Traver with actual cash

I walked past an ad for sports betting in the metro station today and toyed with the idea of starting. Wouldn't have thought to put a bet on Gimeno Traver though :help:

Cloudygirl
Please stop me watching this am going to forget I love watching him on clay normally

Cloudygirl
05-02-2011, 10:10 PM
how many matches has Gimeno-Traver won this year again!!

ImmzB
05-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Two

silverwhite
05-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Please stop me watching this am going to forget I love watching him on clay normally

The last time I enjoyed watching him on clay was... 2007?

ImmzB
05-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Saves 3 MP, DGT to serve it out!!

COME ON RICHARD!!

Cloudygirl
05-02-2011, 10:13 PM
that was a rhetorical question lol

silverwhite
05-02-2011, 10:13 PM
how many matches has Gimeno-Traver won this year again!!

I don't want to know

Cloudygirl
05-02-2011, 10:19 PM
ggggggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr words cannot express how annoyed I am by that crappy performance.

silverwhite
05-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks, Richard! :worship: Now I don't have to waste time watching such matches and can focus on revision!

ImmzB
05-02-2011, 10:20 PM
:mad: :mad:

DGT was the better player!! Gasquet standing miles behind the baseline again, when is he going to learn? :mad:
I liked it when Richard attacked the 2nd serve and moved in! :yeah:

Cloudygirl
05-02-2011, 10:20 PM
loooolll I feel much like that. Already lost Richard and Stan :(

It's not so much how far back he plays it's his terrible tactics seriously got himself out of position so many times both when he played behind and when he came to the net. His head didn't appear to be in Madrid.

ImmzB
05-02-2011, 10:25 PM
It was his 1st appearance in Madrid for the Clay Masters....

DGT is a good player on the clay but yeah Richard's tactics were not the best! :(

He has doubles tomorrow with Tsonga.

Puschkin
05-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Something is wrong when Richard hits his first BH winner in the 19 (!) game and only 2 or 3 in total. GT started really well, but lost his momentum and Richard took the first set. Richard was broken by a poor serice game, but things did not look bleak at the beginning of the third, but again he could not hold his advantage and served badly when it mattered. Quite some fighting spirit in the end, but it was too late. Some of the linecalls seemed dubious to me, but still overall it was a disappointing performance.

scmom
05-02-2011, 10:36 PM
agreed , that was a very disappointing performance
I saw from 3 all in the first set - and after the first set was over , he just seemed to go on a mental vacation
I wish that someone could just shove him forward in the court - He played some great points , attacking - but not nearly enough
It 's not like the local crowd was really going all out in its support for Gimeno - Travers , either

I agree with you , Puschkin , that some of hte line calls seemed a shady to me . Richard seemed frustrated with them too
At least , he showed fighting spirit today . There were times , when in a match like that - things not going his way - that he would have just quit trying.
Well - let 's hope that Rome goes better for him - and of course, Roland Garros

viruzzz
05-02-2011, 10:42 PM
True. A really dissapointing performance.
I'm so pissed off.
He could easily win the 2nd set.

ImmzB
05-02-2011, 10:54 PM
We keep saying it "Richard needs to play nearer the baseline and not behind it" and he still plays behind the baseline, he just doesn't learn.

I'm sure Piatti and Grosjean must of told him, get nearer to the baseline and not play 10 feet behind it! :confused:

Schu
05-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Disappointing but typical. Just when it looks like he is finally getting it together and moving up the rankings with solid TOp 20 tennis he throws in one of these matches.

He could have picked up some needed points here cuz he's going to loose a ton before RG. But with inconsistent play like that he doesn't deserve to be top 15 so maybe just as well. Yeah i'm pretty negative but damn the guy is frustrating - but what's new. On to Rome and hopefully some better tennis.

Seves me right for having a laugh when I saw Tsonga (not one of my favorites by a long shot) drew Almagro first round and Richard got a qualifier...

Puschkin
05-02-2011, 11:19 PM
He could have picked up some needed points here cuz he's going to loose a ton before RG.
He won't lose the Nice-points before Roland GArros.

On to Rome and hopefully some better tennis.
At least Rome won't be played on indoor clay at 10.00pm and I hope there will be some crowds.

ImmzB
05-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Bordeaux points are coming off next week where he's defending 110 points so he needs a QF in Rome and then 250 in Nice which he isn't defending but that's alright, when those points come off, it won't affect his RG seeding.

So he needs to regroup for Rome and get some wins.

ImmzB
05-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Random but why is Richard wearing the same kit since Chennai? :lol:

He has the same shirt design in white aswell but doesn't wear that much!

Lacoste need to give him some new clothes!

Schu
05-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Random but why is Richard wearing the same kit since Chennai? :lol:

He has the same shirt design in white aswell but doesn't wear that much!

Lacoste need to give him some new clothes!

I'm still wating for the bright blue shirt to return.

Cloudygirl
05-02-2011, 11:38 PM
he needs to pick up points in Rome and Roland to get a decent wimby seeding. he really really really needs that. No good being good on grass if he pulls Nadal or Fed or NOle first round and we know if he isnt seeded thats what will happen because it's Richard.

He also needs to play some Davis Cup this year so he can play olympics so he needs to inspire Forget to pick him. I wouldn't pick him watching that. he was just diabolical today. Shitty attitude too.

Quetzal
05-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Richard is playing his clay-grass season with Piatti. After that he`s back with Grosjean for US hard courts including US Open, and who is next? Piatti is helping Gasquet right now, but i think he`s totally involved in his cooperation with Ljubicic and he`s only short-term solution for Richard. If Grosjan don`t want to leave US, Richard has to look for a new coach. Do you think?
P.S. He looked more agressive in Indian Wells and Miami with Grosjean.

ImmzB
05-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Richard is playing his clay-grass season with Piatti. After that he`s back with Grosjean for US hard courts including US Open, and who is next? Piatti is helping Gasquet right now, but i think he`s totally involved in his cooperation with Ljubicic and he`s only short-term solution for Richard. If Grosjan don`t want to leave US, Richard has to look for a new coach. Do you think?
P.S. He looked more agressive in Indian Wells and Miami with Grosjean.

I guess if Richard is playing the clay court tournaments after Wimbledon, (Bastad, Hamburg...) he will be with Piatti, if he decides to play the US hard court season (Atlanta, Los Angeles or Washington) he will be coached by Grosjean again? no?

I would like Gasquet to play the American hard court tournaments after Wimbledon and team up with Grosjean again.

Also the American hard court tournaments are weaker than the European clay tournaments so it will also be easy for Richard to pick up points but we will have to see what he decides.

Puschkin
05-03-2011, 10:56 AM
I guess if Richard is playing the clay court tournaments after Wimbledon, (Bastad, Hamburg...) he will be with Piatti, if he decides to play the US hard court season (Atlanta, Los Angeles or Washington) he will be coached by Grosjean again?

I don't think it is an "either or" affair. I am rather sure that he will also be in touch with Séb now and Piatti was already present in IW/Miami. If there is a division of tasks, my pick is that Séb is the guy for the good feeling and Riccardo for the tough tennis. And if there was a need to see how Richard's game gets astray when he is not feeling it, think about yesterday's match. This however, was not Piatti's fault, more the circumstances: late night, cold, no crowds.

And before someone accuses me of finding excuses, these are not excuses but explanations.:p

ImmzB
05-03-2011, 11:11 AM
I don't think it is an "either or" affair. I am rather sure that he will also be in touch with Séb now and Piatti was already present in IW/Miami. If there is a division of tasks, my pick is that Séb is the guy for the good feeling and Riccardo for the tough tennis. And if there was a need to see how Richard's game gets astray when he is not feeling it, think about yesterday's match. This however, was not Piatti's fault, more the circumstances: late night, cold, no crowds.

And before someone accuses me of finding excuses, these are not excuses but explanations.:p

True, it's only there 3rd tournament together, Piatti's and Richard's.

Do you think Richard should play the clay after Wimbledon or go to the states to work with Seb and play the hard court tournaments?

Is Piatti with Gasquet in Queens and Wimbledon?

I guess Seb might work with Richard in RG, I guess he might make a visit during the 2 weeks?

Puschkin
05-03-2011, 11:24 AM
[Do you think Richard should play the clay after Wimbledon or go to the states to work with Seb and play the hard court tournaments?

Richard has stated on some occasions that he is not too crazy about the US hardcourts overall, but that he likes New York. So I doubt spending more time than the necesary month overseas will be attractive to him, unless Séb comes up with something special. In addition, hardcourts are more risky for injuries, so I think he'll go for European clay.

*julie*
05-03-2011, 11:54 AM
From Sports.fr
Gasquet: "Madrid ? Un tournoi pourri"
Richard Gasquet, 16e joueur mondial, découvrait cette semaine la Caja Magica, le site qui abrite le Masters 1000 de Madrid. Outre la défaite concédée face à l'Espagnol Daniel Gimeno-Traver lundi soir, le Français n'est pas emballé par l'endroit. "Ce n'est pas un tournoi d'anthologie, c'est pourri", s'est-il indigné. "C'est l'inconvénient des épreuves combinées: il n'y a pas de courts pour s'entraîner, il y a trop de monde, ce n'est pas bien. Chaque fois qu'il y a un tournoi masculin et féminin, il faut regarder les audiences. Il n'y a personne pour voir les filles", a-t-il ajouté.

Basically he says this tournament is bad ("pourri" is even worse :o )... He doesn't like mixed tournaments... no courts for training, very crowed place and he says that anyway mens tennis attracts more people than women's.
He seems quite angry :o

Puschkin
05-03-2011, 12:22 PM
From Sports.fr
Basically he says this tournament is bad ("pourri" is even worse :o )... He doesn't like mixed tournaments... no courts for training, very crowed place and he says that anyway mens tennis attracts more people than women's.
He seems quite angry :o

He is right, womens' tennis is boring. I don't mind him venting his frustration, shows that he cares.

viruzzz
05-03-2011, 02:23 PM
SHHHHHHHH*T I'm still pissed off by yesterday's result.

scmom
05-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Probably not the most politically correct statement ever made to the press , but he is correct in my view.
The players cannot help but notice that the men's matches pull in the crowds , and the stadiums fill for the women only when a Williams Sister plays
or a marquis men's match follows the women on court ( and seating is first come , first serve ) .

I would love to see him play here in the US more often , - as I am in LA that would be great for him to come here
but I don't think he will - he is more comfortable nearer to his home , and I can totally understand that.

Schu
05-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Oh Richard - he is right (womens' tennis is boring) but he really didn't need to bad mouth the WTA and the tournament - can't wait to see what court he gets to play on next year in Madrid. It just sounds like a whinning baby not having things perfect. He should be mad, but at himself for not being able to deal with the situation. I am even more disappointed with those comments than with his play yesterday. I'm just going to write the whole day off as Richard having a really "bad day" and hope that Richard doesn't appear again anytime soon - I'd rather the boring "he's a realy good player" line than this whinning bit.

As for Piatti/Seb I got the impression that Seb was in addition to Piatti when Richard is in the U.S. RIchard does not seem to like the U.S. and I think Seb makes the time he has to spend in the states a little more tolerable - sort of like his cheerleader for when RIchard is in the U.S. I also think that Ljubo will not be on the tour much longer and Piatti would be able to devote full time to Richard if both wanted.

Puschkin
05-03-2011, 04:24 PM
I am even more disappointed with those comments than with his play yesterday.
Poor Richard, he can never get it right. If he says the same things all the time he is considered as dull, and when he speaks is mind, someone will not be happy either. I don't mind him bashing the Madrid tourney. It looks gloomy on TV and thinking that MC or Hamburg for that matter lost their status becasue of this place, makes me mad.

mukado
05-03-2011, 04:48 PM
It's several days he's very very irritated as people who watch his practices said. Don't know why, i hope her mum will come back to calm him, otherwise i'm not very optimistic about Rome and RG.

As for his comments, it's not misogynist at all because it is true female tennis is boring without Justine and Amelie. But it's not the first time, he has idiotic or unbecoming remarks about women so you can understand why he only caught bitches or teenagers.

ImmzB
05-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Ljubicic lost today to Simon and Richard has doubles soon so if he looses in the doubles, he and Ivan will go straight to Italy to practice right?

Puschkin
05-03-2011, 05:37 PM
It's several days he's very very irritated as people who watch his practices said.
Maybe he just doesn't want to be in Madrid right now, whatever the reason. :aplot:

Schu
05-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Poor Richard, he can never get it right. If he says the same things all the time he is considered as dull, and when he speaks is mind, someone will not be happy either. I don't mind him bashing the Madrid tourney. It looks gloomy on TV and thinking that MC or Hamburg for that matter lost their status becasue of this place, makes me mad.

I kid around about his boring interviews but whinning about the torunament or speaking down about women (even if they are boring to watch and draw no crowd) is not getting it right. For sure I didn't get the full tranlation of his remarks or the tone correct but from what I understand it sounds like sour grapes and not speaking his mind - but then I guess he is human so I'll give him a break.

Puschkin
05-03-2011, 06:19 PM
To be precise he did not say that womens' tennis borig - I said that. But he is quoted saying that nobody watches them.

[Ljubicic lost today to Simon and Richard has doubles soon so if he looses in the doubles, he and Ivan will go straight to Italy to practice right?
Seems as if he left already, the doubles match is not on SB. But the Verdasco/Lopez doubles neither neither, instead a match of four players I never heard of like Marti or Nesterov. :confused:

edit: Seem sas if the doubles has been postpone due to darkness. It is on tomorrow's OOP. The Madrid oragansisers got their revenge already.