How do YOU play tennis? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How do YOU play tennis?

Satasonic
04-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Just wondering how does MTF play, if at all. Righty/Lefty? Double Handed/Singlehanded? which style?

For me, although intermediate level, I have a very unique style of play. Im left handed, play with a double handed backhand, however when I have putaways near the net or any shot where the court is open, I run around my forehand to hit a single handed backhand :o. Its poor technique, but it is very efficient for me when I do it :D
I lack any kind of serve except the kick serve, which is not enough obviously, but I gotta stick with it. My forehand is solid, but my backhand style is more flashy.
What about you?

Brick Top
04-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Im an all serve mug, with a solid forehand, and Roddick like backhand!

Johnny Groove
04-01-2011, 11:01 PM
I am a spot and spin server, though consistency can be an issue.

Very strong forehand, average 2 handed backhand. Good speed and movement, footwork, and court sense. Volleys and overheads need work.

Lopez
04-01-2011, 11:59 PM
I'm an aggressive baseliner who tries to approach the net as often as possible (in my army days I played S&V because my ground game was inconsistent due to low playing hours). I'm quite fast, and sometimes when I'm tight it goes against me and I play too defensively. I play right-handed with a one-handed backhand. My forehand is the stronger shot. My serve is very inconsistent, sometimes I have good flow on it and other times it's a mess. I'm trying to change the technique at the moment so it's a work in progress...

I would say that my strength is my analytical game, I'm quite versatile and can quickly sense how I can try to disrupt my opponent. Slice, big topspin, angled shots, net rushing... :D

My weakest element is my consistency, I can have moments where I'm hitting winners off all positions and other moments when I'm missing very easy shots.

This might get moved to the amateur tennis forum...

Dini
04-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Without a serve, without a volley, 30% success rate of forehand landing in, 60% backhand. But 100% effort.

rocketassist
04-02-2011, 02:36 AM
Attacking leftie with an explosive forehand on it's day and a pretty cack two-hander which loops worse than Murray's forehand does!

My best shot is the off-forehand. I'm pretty deft at the net like, I look at some ATP players these days and think my volleys can compete with them!

My weakness is I'm not very powerful or muscular so finishing points off takes 2 or 3 more shots (a Nadal type player would be the worst match-up for me ever) but I do like to use my FH to dominate points.

Satasonic
04-02-2011, 05:53 AM
Guys, what are some good tips that you can give me about finishing points at the net with my FOREHAND? I can do it very easily from my backhand side, which I hit double handed but single handed at the net. Im not talking about volleys, just a short grounstroke near the net.

Also, how to improve the serve? I can get a crapload of power on it, I think it goes above 200kmh at times. The problem is that I cant really hit it in the spot that I want to hit? For example Im aiming for my opponents backhand side and it completely loops and goes to the opposite direction :confused:

Lopez
04-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Guys, what are some good tips that you can give me about finishing points at the net with my FOREHAND? I can do it very easily from my backhand side, which I hit double handed but single handed at the net. Im not talking about volleys, just a short grounstroke near the net.

Also, how to improve the serve? I can get a crapload of power on it, I think it goes above 200kmh at times. The problem is that I cant really hit it in the spot that I want to hit? For example Im aiming for my opponents backhand side and it completely loops and goes to the opposite direction :confused:

If you play at the intermediate level I seriously doubt that you can get 200km/h on your serve :D.

Watching some of the vids that youtube has on the pros is helpful. How I like to think of it is hitting the forehand so that you kind of "close the wrist" on the follow-through and appear to hit a bit downward after you've made contact. Naturally this only works for balls that are over the net, but you can really flatten them out like that.

Here's Tsonga: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1uQcr6xSvs&playnext=1&list=PL5C255710257E03E0

Satasonic
04-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Sounds crazy and I know it, but I have a booming serve (Not all the time), and whats more surprising that my height is only 182cm. Like I said though, its terrible. Sometimes it goes 1 meter away from the baseline, its really stupid and frustrating. Then I hit a puff ball second serve, that even my mom can return for a winner :(

Edit _____

I read my post again and realised that I havent really explained well. I usually serve at speeds above 180kmh or so, but some go up to 200kmh max. Just thought I would point that out. Not everything I serve is 205kmh, lol

Satasonic
04-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Also, Tsonga appears to have good shots. Too bad that he is such a headcase, haha.

On topic, I dont think I need any tips on my forehand side. Its not too bad compared to the serve aspect of my game. I have to change that somehow

n8
04-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Am right handed and played right handed until adulthood. Needed two surgeries on my right arm, but love tennis so much that I've taught myself left handed by hitting against a wall for hours a week.

My (single handed) backhand is my favourite shot (as is many people playing with their non dominant arm). Lots of topspin on both sides but not very much power. So I'm consistent from the baseline but don't hit many winners. My lefty serve annoys people because of the spin but it's not fast. Volleys are not very good. My biggest strength is my speed. People always comment on it and are amazed by the balls I get back. Plus I love to slide on the artificial grass courts we have here.

Clashcityrocker
04-02-2011, 10:28 AM
am right handed, single handed backhand. love to get to the net as soon as possible(slice backhand approach) to go for the winner with the volley, hate long baseline rallies, agressive from the baseline when i'm pinned down there, backhand better shot. prefer fast courts. and i'm not good at all..so yes, i grew up playing tennis in the 80s :D

Orka_n
04-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Right handed, DH backhand. I have played tennis on my free time for many years, but I have never really received any proper stroke technique training. As such, I now rely too much on my athletic talent (I'm fast and endurable) and my good hand-eye coordination on the court. My FH is decent, but my backhand motion doesn't always feel natural - which of course is a huge problem when I'm facing someone who's practiced tennis for a while.

The volleys need work, and my 2nd serve is just terrible. But I'm pretty good at dropshots and unorthodox shots.
My biggest strength though is probably my retrieving skills.

safin-rules-no.1
04-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Double handed both sides. Like staying at the baseline and hit flat.

GlennMirnyi
04-02-2011, 04:19 PM
I play tennis on a tennis court with a racket, a shirt, shorts and tennis shoes. I swing the racket to hit baseline shots and block volleys with shorter swings. Also, when I serve, I throw the ball into the air with my left hand so I can hit the ball with the racket held in my right hand with an upwards swing motion.

That's how I play tennis.

This is in the wrong forum. There's a forum for players' talk.

Sapeod
04-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Right handed.
Two handed backhand.
Solid backhand.
Powerful, but sometimes wild forehand.
Big serve.
Good speed and movement.
Decent volleys, but my approach shots can a be a bit :o
I slice a lot, with both my forehand and backhand.
I dropshot a lot, which works quite well.
Then, if my dropshot isn't enough, I then lob the opponent, which is pretty good too.
Sometimes, if my forehand isn't working, I switch to a two handed one which is solid too.
I do a lot of serve and volley and serve and strike tennis.