Who is the best player mentally? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who is the best player mentally?

River
04-03-2010, 05:24 AM
I always thought it was Rafa, and for a while I wasn't wrong. But with him wavering along with a lot of the top ten, it makes me wonder who's the strongest mentally now?

Arkulari
04-03-2010, 05:40 AM
this week? seems like it is Berdych :p

alter ego
04-03-2010, 05:41 AM
In the last 52 weeks I would say Del Potro.

Pirata.
04-03-2010, 05:42 AM
Roddick. Federer, too, I think. I don't think it's that he's mentally weak, it's that he just doesn't seem to care as much.

paseo
04-03-2010, 05:44 AM
Verdasco.

Pirata.
04-03-2010, 05:58 AM
Verdasco.

:haha:

DJ Soup
04-03-2010, 07:40 AM
In the last 52 weeks I would say Del Potro.

yeah

sennoc
04-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Wadal. He is a Spartan.

madmax
04-03-2010, 08:49 AM
In all seriousness, I think it's Pony and it's not even close.

SerenaFederer
04-03-2010, 12:59 PM
i'd say the man that continues to win slams and make the finals seemingly with ease even when he seems to be bombing out in normal tournaments left and right

Certinfy
04-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Del Potro :)

andylovesaustin
04-03-2010, 01:07 PM
I always thought it was Rafa, and for a while I wasn't wrong. But with him wavering along with a lot of the top ten, it makes me wonder who's the strongest mentally now?

I think Rafa is still mentally tough. :shrug:

It's just yesterday, Andy had a great day. I wish Andy would have more great days like that, and just go for it!

In Rafa's presser, he seemed pretty happy with the results overall,so... He basically said Andy just played great that there wasn't a lot he could do about it.

Why is everybody thinking Rafa is done? I remember him not doing very well early in the season, then having an amazing run winning RG, Wimby, and AO.

I could understand if Rafa was losing early... maybe being concerned. But he's making it to the semis.

I think it's pretty difficult to tell in a best of 3 set format. It's all but over pretty quickly. It's in 5 sets where mental toughness really comes into play.

We'll just have to wait and see how the clay season progresses.

Selby
04-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Del Potro

andylovesaustin
04-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Why are you all saying Delpo?

Isn't Delpo injured?

I haven't really been keeping up with tennis as much.

sheva07
04-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Delpo and Ducky.

stebs
04-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Mental toughness encompasses so many different things and we can give different answers for the different things it is used to represent:

Fighting spirit
Level of play in big moments within a match
Consistency
Big tournament play
Big match play
Bounce back ability (after losing an important match)
Localised bounce back ability (after losing an important set inside a match)
Match play abilities (like timing when to step it up or change tactics)

I'm sure there are many more things like this which are distinct from one another as well. I won't try and list all of them here but it doesn't seem to me that summing up all of these is really possible considering there are players who are great at some but poor at others.

vn01
04-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Del Potro

Brazilianmug
04-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Eerie time to ask that, since right now the number 2 ranking is basically vacant. Iīll say clay season will take care of answering that.

Jimnik
04-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Still Rafa. But Andy and Roger aren't far off.

federersforehand
04-03-2010, 02:01 PM
the holder of the last 3 of 4 slams, the fact that delpo is mentioned cause he beat this certain player 1 TIME is credit to you know who's toughness in slams over the last 12 months.

Murraylicious
04-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Gasquet :p

ZaZoo)
04-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Davydenko- mental giant. Showed his full potential against Fed in that AO match.

Persimmon
04-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Federer. He won 3 of the past 4 slams.

yuri27
04-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Gasquet.
The fact he is still continuing to play tennis says it all about his mental toughness.
I'm joking :p

River
04-03-2010, 03:32 PM
I think Rafa is still mentally tough. :shrug:

It's just yesterday, Andy had a great day. I wish Andy would have more great days like that, and just go for it!

In Rafa's presser, he seemed pretty happy with the results overall,so... He basically said Andy just played great that there wasn't a lot he could do about it.

Why is everybody thinking Rafa is done? I remember him not doing very well early in the season, then having an amazing run winning RG, Wimby, and AO.

I could understand if Rafa was losing early... maybe being concerned. But he's making it to the semis.

I think it's pretty difficult to tell in a best of 3 set format. It's all but over pretty quickly. It's in 5 sets where mental toughness really comes into play.

We'll just have to wait and see how the clay season progresses.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Rafa is FAR from done. I'm thinking he's wavering right now mentally. For now, I'm wondering who's the most mentally tough right /now/. Just because Rafa isn't the most mentally intact out there doesn't mean he's done. He's reached the semis for both masters, after all.

Don't be so quick to defend against me like I hate Rafa. I love the guy. Hell, we share the same birthday, lol

delpiero7
04-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Just because Federer has won 3 of the past 4 slams, doesn't mean that he's the most mentally tough IMO. It's just because he so damned good.

How many times has he had to rely on mental toughness to win his 2 slams last year, and the AO this year. I reckon once (vs Haas at RG). As far as his other tough GS matches in the past year are concerned:

vs Del Potro @ RG: Potty's first slam SF, did well to take Roger to 5, but he was out on his feet towards the end of the match.

vs Roddick @ Wimbledon: Roddick imploded when he should have taken a 2-0 sets lead, and Federer was serving first in the final set, meaning the pressure was much greater on Roddick to keep his hopes of winning alive.

vs Del Potro @ US Open: Oh wait, Federer lost that one. :devil:

Start da Game
04-03-2010, 06:41 PM
nadal

Ariadne
04-03-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm flabbergasted at just how EXTREMELY UNDERRATED Federer is in the mental toughness department by the majority of loony toons here on MTF.

SetSampras
04-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Maybe Roger currently.. he can half ass all these smaller events, show up to slams and wins ala sampras. That takes some mental toughness clicking at the right time

Selby
04-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Mental toughness encompasses so many different things and we can give different answers for the different things it is used to represent:

Fighting spirit
Level of play in big moments within a match
Consistency
Big tournament play
Big match play
Bounce back ability (after losing an important match)
Localised bounce back ability (after losing an important set inside a match)
Match play abilities (like timing when to step it up or change tactics)

I'm sure there are many more things like this which are distinct from one another as well. I won't try and list all of them here but it doesn't seem to me that summing up all of these is really possible considering there are players who are great at some but poor at others.

You are very right. For this reason, people say that for example Roddick is very good mentally because he's great in some of those aspects while other laughs off the idea that he's good mentally because he lacks some other things in the "mental department".
The most complete player mentally is usually Nadal but since his injury he hasn't been the same so I must say Del Potro has been the best since Nadal's injury.

henke007
04-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Roddick by far, that guy don't know the word choke except maybe one occasional slump here and there not worth mentioning. Not really a chock he reaches 2 solid finals.

elessar
04-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Very amusing how overrated Del Potro is.
Nadal has proven to be a mental giant for over 4 years, Del Po for about 3 weeks out of the last 6 months.

Roger outside of slams is clownish, at best, these past couple of years but it didn't use to be the case. Also his record in TB in GS finals speaks volume about his mental game during the big tourneys.

Johnny Groove
04-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Obviously Roddick.

Last week it was Ljubo.

In 2 weeks it'll be Nadal.

MTF reminds me of a high school girl's locker room more and more each day.

Baghdatis72
04-03-2010, 07:31 PM
No one. They are all unstable lately. Nadal was the most mentally tough before this period of mental instability.

Swiss Mountain
04-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Exactly, everyone is baffled with that, it's because Roger makes it look so easy.
His mental strenght was very well proven at last year french open (against Haas and Delpo)

ssj100
04-03-2010, 07:56 PM
There is no mentally tough player in this mug era.

The Magician
04-03-2010, 08:14 PM
It's obviously John Isner. His entire game is mental toughness, and he's by far the most improved player of the past half a year. None of the top players are especially mentally tough because they're all immensely talented. Isner is just a tall dude who wins all the tie-breaks and trains really hard.

The Magician
04-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Oh and Delpo is suffering Kurt Cobain syndrome. As soon as he comes back on tour and loses a match everyone is going to be talking about how far he's fallen since the USO.

DJ Soup
04-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Very amusing how overrated Del Potro is.
Nadal has proven to be a mental giant for over 4 years, Del Po for about 3 weeks out of the last 6 months.

Delpo's mental strength became evident since exactly an year ago when he defeated a top 4 for the first time, a prime top 1 Rafael Nadal.
From there it all went uphill. Even took Cilic to a 5 setter with a broken wrist at AO

DJ Soup
04-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Oh and Delpo is suffering Kurt Cobain syndrome. As soon as he comes back on tour and loses a match everyone is going to be talking about how far he's fallen since the USO.

he has WTF to back it up and a decent AO run with a damaged wrist

andylovesaustin
04-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Don't get me wrong, I still think Rafa is FAR from done. I'm thinking he's wavering right now mentally. For now, I'm wondering who's the most mentally tough right /now/. Just because Rafa isn't the most mentally intact out there doesn't mean he's done. He's reached the semis for both masters, after all.

Don't be so quick to defend against me like I hate Rafa. I love the guy. Hell, we share the same birthday, lol

I was just posting an opinion.

I mean...c'mon... Just because a guy loses doesn't mean he isn't mentally tough.

Rafa didn't have an answer for Andy yesterday. I would imagine Rafa thought Andy would play one way, and he did for a set and a half. Rafa was prepared for that Andy.

Then Andy changed his tactics. I read Andy's presser. Apparently Andy and his coach PLANNED to play Rafa the way Andy started out--pushing for lack of a better word. Andy said he has success with that strategy against other players, but obviously it wasn't working with Rafa.

So.. Andy decided to change it up a bit. Why not? He was losing anyway. And changing his tactics paid off because it caught Rafa off-guard. Rafa didn't know how to make an adjustment. That doesn't mean Rafa has lost his mental toughness. It just means he needs to prepare better!

Mentally tough players can lose. Mentally tough players can have injuries.

I just don't think Rafa losing necessarily means he's not mentally tough. He just wasn't prepared.

Chiakifug
04-03-2010, 09:21 PM
All spanish players when they play Nadal.

Certinfy
04-03-2010, 09:25 PM
If Berdych wins tomorrow, then it's defo him.

leng jai
04-03-2010, 10:09 PM
If Berdych wins tomorrow, then it's defo him.

My extreme fan girl sensor is tingling.

dombrfc
04-03-2010, 11:12 PM
DelPo

SetSampras
04-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Roddick by far, that guy don't know the word choke except maybe one occasional slump here and there not worth mentioning. Not really a chock he reaches 2 solid finals.

Wimbledon 2009 wasnt a choke? That a choke of EPIC proportions to go up 2 sets to 1 on Fed giving him the chance to beat him.

mark73
04-04-2010, 12:22 AM
MTF definition of a choke: You loose a match after having the lead. All mental, must be telekinisis. :rolleyes:

malisha
04-04-2010, 02:07 AM
Isner showed in last few matches i saw some of the abilitys from stebs post

guy is really clutch

ssj100
04-04-2010, 02:42 AM
Maybe Roger currently.. he can half ass all these smaller events, show up to slams and wins ala sampras. That takes some mental toughness clicking at the right time

How can you put Federer and Sampras in the same paragraph. Federer doesn't even come close to Sampras. Federer plays in a mug era and doesn't even know how to hold the racquet properly. He's fluked most of his wins, mostly because his opponents are injured or are mentally weak.

And warm regards.

ssj100
04-04-2010, 02:43 AM
Wimbledon 2009 wasnt a choke? That a choke of EPIC proportions to go up 2 sets to 1 on Fed giving him the chance to beat him.

Definite choke, and easily the biggest choke of all time. Anyway, Roddick was injured in that match, and still nearly beat Federer in the end. Just shows what a clown this Federer is. Federer should only have about 2 slams if not for the mug era and the fact that his opponents always choke physically or mentally.

Federer only beat Sampras in 2001 because Sampras was clearly injured and was having subacute baterial endocarditis (SBE). If Sampras was playing at even 10% of his level, Federer wouldn't have won a single game. Seriously, Sampras had much tougher competition and could actually hold the racquet properly. This Federer couldn't even beat SetSampras in a match if he tried.

Mug era anyway, and warm regards.

barbadosan
04-04-2010, 02:50 AM
Definite choke, and easily the biggest choke of all time. Anyway, Roddick was injured in that match, and still nearly beat Federer in the end. Just shows what a clown this Federer is. Federer should only have about 2 slams if not for the mug era and the fact that his opponents always choke physically or mentally.

Federer only beat Sampras in 2001 because Sampras was clearly injured and was having subacute baterial endocarditis (SBE). If Sampras was playing at even 10% of his level, Federer wouldn't have won a single game. Seriously, Sampras had much tougher competition and could actually hold the racquet properly. This Federer couldn't even beat SetSampras in a match if he tried.

Mug era anyway, and warm regards.

Nice touch, that SBE :D:worship:

Pirata.
04-04-2010, 05:36 AM
How can you put Federer and Sampras in the same paragraph. Federer doesn't even come close to Sampras. Federer plays in a mug era and doesn't even know how to hold the racquet properly. He's fluked most of his wins, mostly because his opponents are injured or are mentally weak.

:haha:

CyBorg
04-04-2010, 06:04 AM
Federer, duh. A few tourney losses in between majors don't change a thing.

Start da Game
04-04-2010, 06:24 AM
a player who is terrified of investing his physical reserves in masters events and davis cup every year, who tanked matches to avoid his nightmare can never be a mental giant.......

nadal's problem of late is not mental........he has been forced out of the game too many times to regain any rhythm in his game........and the fact that he is not naturally talented doesn't help him much to play himself right away into form........it's funny that nadal is talked down every time he loses........

what do you expect from a player who has been sidelined with several injuries over the last one year and now returning from a 2 month break? straightaway two title victories on his least favorite surfaces? nonsense.......

his once great groundgame which he built around his clay game is not to be seen now due to what happened to him over the last 1 year.......so to get back in flow, first has to play on clay and then take it from there.......

nadal's tennis starts at the rolex masters in montecarlo, monaco........

ssj100
04-04-2010, 06:32 AM
a player who is terrified of investing his physical reserves in masters events and davis cup every year, who tanked matches to avoid his nightmare can never be a mental giant.......

nadal's problem of late is not mental........he has been forced out of the game too many times to regain any rhythm in his game........and the fact that he is not naturally talented doesn't help him much to play himself right away into form........it's funny that nadal is talked down every time he loses........

what do you expect from a player who has been sidelined with several injuries over the last one year and now returning from a 2 month break? straightaway two title victories on his least favorite surfaces? nonsense.......

his once great groundgame which he built around his clay game is not to be seen now due to what happened to him over the last 1 year.......so to get back in flow, first has to play on clay and then take it from there.......

Exactly. Nadal is still injured, and no where near his best. His rhythm is completely out, and he's playing at about 1% of his capacity. Just you wait, when Nadal wins, he will be not injured and not mentally soft anymore.

Also Federer's mental strength is zero. He is too scared of the real GOAT (Nadal). 13-7 speaks for itself. And it should be 20-0 to Nadal if Nadal wasn't injured or not finding his rhythm the times he lost. Seriously, wake up guys. Nadal is the best. And warm regards.

Start da Game
04-04-2010, 06:36 AM
you are not funny anymore, don't waste your time and energy......

andy neyer
04-04-2010, 06:38 AM
Actually, it was really freakin' funny :)

Tenez2010
04-04-2010, 06:43 AM

Australian Open - Date: 18.01.2010-31.01.2010
Indian Wells, U.S.A. - Date: 09.03.2010-21.03.2010

Warm regards

ssj100
04-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Australian Open - Date: 18.01.2010-31.01.2010
Indian Wells, U.S.A. - Date: 09.03.2010-21.03.2010

Warm regards

Dude, you know what he meant. Regardless, Nadal is still injured and still warming up. Just wait until he is not injured and warmed up and finding his rhythm. He will win. And remember clay is his strongest surface. Warm regards to you too.

DJ Soup
04-04-2010, 08:27 AM
you are not funny anymore, don't waste your time and energy......

So what did we learn here?

not funny when you see yourself through a mirror eh? yeah, hurts to be you

warm regards

Forehander
04-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Grigor Dimitrov. Won Junior Wimbledon Slam with an injured wrist. Now that's mentally tough! :)

Start da Game
04-04-2010, 10:05 AM
So what did we learn here?

not funny when you see yourself through a mirror eh? yeah, hurts to be you

warm regards

you are confused.......

Dougie
04-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Dude, you know what he meant. Regardless, Nadal is still injured and still warming up. Just wait until he is not injured and warmed up and finding his rhythm. He will win. And remember clay is his strongest surface. Warm regards to you too.

The problem for Nadal is, itīs possible there wonīt be a time when he wonīt be injured, or coming back from an injury-break. His knees wonīt allow him to play a full schedule, so itīs quite possible he wonīt find the rhythm that made him so strong 2-3 years ago. Also the other players donīt consider him as invincible anymore, they know he can be beaten. Sure, he will be very strong on clay, but I donīt consider him as the top favorite for the RG title this year. Not yet, at least.

Bobby
04-04-2010, 02:22 PM
The problem for Nadal is, itīs possible there wonīt be a time when he wonīt be injured, or coming back from an injury-break. His knees wonīt allow him to play a full schedule, so itīs quite possible he wonīt find the rhythm that made him so strong 2-3 years ago. Also the other players donīt consider him as invincible anymore, they know he can be beaten. Sure, he will be very strong on clay, but I donīt consider him as the top favorite for the RG title this year. Not yet, at least.

It's strange how so many think that the clay is some magic pill to swallow for Nadal. Clay season is over after FO, then it's grass and back to hard courts. Clay season won't make it all right if the rest of the season is a constant struggle with knees.

River
06-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Bump.

I was going to rebump after the french but that would result in a landslide victory for Rafa I assume.

But right here and now, in the wake of Wimbledon, who is the most mentally focused/tough right now?

Bear in mind that this thread used to be just for top-ten players. But I think with the top ten looking so shaky right now, we /have/ to look beyond the top tier.

Ozone
06-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Pound for pound, Lleyton Hewitt

Sapeod
06-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Definately Hewitt.

born_on_clay
06-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Rafael Nadal

Jills
06-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Feli Lopez :yeah:

Selby
06-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Nadal. He's got perfect all around mentally tough player, mentality in tennis includes many aspects and many player are good at some but lacks others, but Nadal is the full package.

Stefwhit
06-12-2010, 02:08 PM
That's a no-brainer: Rafa by far!

Audacity
06-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Hewitt's mental toughness has always been his greatest strength. Nadal is most definitely one of the best aswell.

FormerRafaFan
06-12-2010, 02:26 PM
I'd still say Nadal. Yes, he lost yesterday, but he still has that fighting spirit. He always win the most crucial points. He is amazing in the TB's.

GuiroNl
06-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Hewitt with Nadal a very close 2nd

Roamed
06-12-2010, 04:23 PM
From the top ten, currently Rafa. Hewitt from among the lower-ranked players. :)

Topspin Forehand
06-12-2010, 04:32 PM
This is a no-brainer. Rafa by far.

Sophocles
06-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Nadal. Saves so many break points without having a big serve. Hewitt used to be mentally very tough, but he's not the player he was, & he frequently makes errors on big points against good opponents.

ApproachShot
06-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I'd say Nadal - his ability to win the big points is almost uncanny. I admire his attitude and fight for every ball and the same goes for Hewitt, who I think not too far behind Rafa in the mental toughness department. Then I'd probably go for Davydenko, Roddick and Isner...nowadays even the former mental midget Soderling can be one of the most mentally tough people out there on the court, although he's not consistently so.

With Federer there tends to be two polar characterisations in popular opinion. Some say that his mediocre break point conversion rate and losses againt Nadal demonstrate mental fragility. That may be right to a certain extent but it's not the whole truth. Then others cite his cosistency and success at the top level as justification for his mental toughness. Again there is an element of this which is true. But the reality is probably somewhere in between; he is mentally very tough especially in the Grand Slam tournaments, but not as much as some other players.

andy neyer
06-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Still Rafa.

Clay Death
06-12-2010, 05:04 PM
clay warrior but fed is not that far behind.

davydenko has been tough in the finals of lesser events but still no cigar in the slams.

Sophocles
06-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Djokovic was very tough in late 2007 & early 2008, but obviously that's all gone a bit wrong now. Del Potro is tough.

Clay Death
06-12-2010, 05:11 PM
agreed. d-pot gets an honorable mention here. he has that testicular fortitude.

Clay Death
06-12-2010, 05:12 PM
the great serbian slayer is slipping. he needs to get his shit together.

Sapeod
06-12-2010, 05:12 PM
An honourable mention goes to Isner.

Start da Game
06-12-2010, 06:07 PM
the spartan and by light years.......no need of any backup statements.......

Persimmon
06-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Nadal. The King of saving break points.

alter ego
06-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Lol at the Nadal bandwagonism. Next thing you know I will be hearing that he has the best serve out there. Wake up people he is one of the best mentally strong players but he isn't the toughest. Do you guys have a selecvtive memory disease or what ? He chocked very badly against Melzer a player he owned from the first point untill 5-4 in the third set. Broken to love, double faulting at 0-40 , the second service didn't even reached the net. He chocked again against Istomin only 3-4 days ago missing an eassy overhead at match point only to be broken back afterwards. And these are just matches played in the last 2 weeks. I remember the epic match in Doha against Davy where he missed an eassy FH at match point up in the 2nd set tiebreak. Also the match against Del Po in IW09 where he was 3-0 with a double break in the third set. Del Po was definetly tougher mentally than him that time.
Or what about the famous wimbledon final in 08. In the 4th set tiebreak Nadal was 5-2 up with 2 services to go. Evreyone thaught the match was over but then Nadal makes a double fault and UE to let Roger back into the match.

Fed was maybe the GOAT of clutch play in his prime. But for now he seems to have lost it. And yes Nadull is more mentally strong than him today but there are other players capable of better clutch play.

It's absolutely ludicrous to think a guy who didn't won a title in 11 months is the strongest mentally player out there.

ImmzB
06-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Rafael Nadal

DualMedia
06-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Ana ivanovic! jk jk

umm... Nadal!

allpro
06-12-2010, 10:41 PM
The Latvian Lion: Ernests Gulbis

luie
06-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Roddick. Nadull is second, he needs to win more tourny OFF-CLAY for me to give him the title.He is just in another league on clay,, without a MAJOR rival on clay since 2007,when fed was a legitimate threat on clay (RG) but since then its all down hill in terms off clay competition. Fakervic /del-po DIDN"T step up to the plate after fed - to carry the torch.imo.

tennishero
06-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Roddick. Nadull is second, he needs to win more tourny OFF-CLAY for me to give him the title.He is just in another league on clay,, without a MAJOR rival on clay since 2007,when fed was a legitimate threat on clay (RG) but since then its all down hill in terms off clay competition. Fakervic /del-po DIDN"T step up to the plate after fed - to carry the torch.imo.

roddick? :lol:

how many finals lost already.. lost count.

Jomp1
06-13-2010, 11:39 AM
The best two in the world are also the mentally toughest: Nadal & Federer. No one is really close at this moment.

asmazif
06-13-2010, 12:22 PM
The best two in the world are also the mentally toughest: Nadal & Federer. No one is really close at this moment.

i dunno, I think Petzschner is up there.

fran70
06-13-2010, 02:29 PM
The most mentally tough player right now is Nadal. Another active players that can be considered on this issue are Hewitt and Ferrer. Probably the most tougher mentally player and biggest determination of the open era was Jimmy Connors.

Audacity
06-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Fed was maybe the GOAT of clutch play in his prime. But for now he seems to have lost it. And yes Nadull is more mentally strong than him today but there are other players capable of better clutch play.

It's absolutely ludicrous to think a guy who didn't won a title in 11 months is the strongest mentally player out there.

Sorry to burst your bubble buddy, but mental toughness is more than just clutch play and winning titles. You have to consider come-from-behind wins, not getting down on yourself when you are losing or things aren't going your way and many other things that I will not babble on about.

How can you be so blind? It's humorous.

River
06-13-2010, 02:43 PM
roddick? :lol:

how many finals lost already.. lost count.

Two this year.

He also won matches that the player in your avatar wishes he could even remotely come close to. So if you're going to bash a player and you're not a Nadal or Fed fan, then maybe you shouldn't be flaunting his losses.

Strongest right now is... Hewitt... wow. lol

jonas
06-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Fish.

Sapeod
06-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Surely Isner and Mahut win this by a mile? Fuck Nadull, these guys are true fighting machines :worship:

ORGASMATRON
06-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Surely Isner and Mahut win this by a mile? Fuck Nadull, these guys are true fighting machines :worship:

:cool:

tennishero
06-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Two this year.

He also won matches that the player in your avatar wishes he could even remotely come close to. So if you're going to bash a player and you're not a Nadal or Fed fan, then maybe you shouldn't be flaunting his losses.

Strongest right now is... Hewitt... wow. lol

lol such as? nablandian has a MUCH better record vs the top players like Federer, Nadal etc.. back up ur statement if ur going to write rubbish.

and hewitt most tough?
just... get out clown.

M4RC
06-23-2010, 08:58 PM

You are probably the most stupid poster around here. You are constantly naming Nadal in all of your comments, are you in love with him or something? Fitness department = more than Nadal, mental department = more than Nadal.

Say what you want, but Nadal would have spanked both of this guys in less than 2 hours.

Nole fan
06-23-2010, 09:02 PM
You are probably the most stupid poster around here. You are constantly naming Nadal in all of your comments, are you in love with him or something? Fitness department = more than Nadal, mental department = more than Nadal.

Say what you want, but Nadal would have spanked both of this guys in less than 2 hours.

Despite all the awesomeness of the Isner-Mahut match, I agree that if they had had in front of them a Nadal, Federer, Djoko or Murray or any other good retriever, the match would have last much much less.

a_boy
06-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Mentally tough isn't the same thing as tennis skill though. Whoever is thought of as the mentally toughest player, whether it's Nadal, Federer or whoever, only gets to showcase his mental strength because he's also extremely skilled at tennis. You might have some guy who would be able to bring his absolute best tennis on the biggest stage, never make a double fault, always hit his first serve on big points... but if that guy's best tennis is still crap, his first serve is 20mph, etc, nobody will think that he's mentally tough.

Sapeod
06-23-2010, 10:11 PM

Oh shut up :rolleyes: The fact that Isner kept going for 7 hours today, even though he was shattered and miserable just shows you his fighting spirit and mental strength. Mahut has played about 17 hours in 3 matches in 5 days, and still looks fresh. Even Nadull would have a hard time doing that.

So what if Nadull would've beaten them easily? That doesn't show his mental strength, that just shows he's a better player than them. Isner and Mahut's mental strength shown in this match bitchslaps anything Nadull has ever done.

Matt01
06-23-2010, 10:13 PM

They're rather service machines.

The Magician
06-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Oh hey all the Fakervic-tards and Nadull-tards are out in full force to put down the most mentally tough player on tour by a mile. Guess what? Isner and Mahut are both much tougher mentally than those clowns, and they don't have to use gamesmanship and over the top screaming to play that way.

It's obviously John Isner. His entire game is mental toughness, and he's by far the most improved player of the past half a year. None of the top players are especially mentally tough because they're all immensely talented. Isner is just a tall dude who wins all the tie-breaks and trains really hard.

Quote myself from way back when :cool:

bluefork
06-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Perhaps a mentally tougher player would have broken Isner or Mahut already?

The Magician
06-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Perhaps a mentally tougher player would have broken Isner or Mahut already?

Only if you hadn't seen the match. There were at most 2 real missed opportunities, the rest were saved with great serving and offensive play. If this was a mugathon like Ginepri-Almugro or something I'd agree with you, but this was a really great match even with the weird Wimbledon statistics.

bluefork
06-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Only if you hadn't seen the match. There were at most 2 real missed opportunities, the rest were saved with great serving and offensive play. If this was a mugathon like Ginepri-Almugro or something I'd agree with you, but this was a really great match even with the weird Wimbledon statistics.

Well, yeah Mahut did hit some great serves to save the match. But a lot of the time the players (Isner in particular) weren't attempting to return the serves at all.

green25814
06-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Djokovic would've retired approximately 4000 times during Isner/Mahut.

star
06-24-2010, 12:10 AM

Great serving. Isner's backhand return is a weakness and Mahut tended to go there until Isner started leaning on the important points and then he changed it up -- although how he was able to think that late into it, I'll never know. Isner had some really gorgeous forehand winners that just couldn't be returned.

We can't say how each of them would have done with another opponent. Maybe each would have lost in three, but they were playing each other and this is what happened. Something none of us expected.

ORGASMATRON
06-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Oh shut up :rolleyes: The fact that Isner kept going for 7 hours today, even though he was shattered and miserable just shows you his fighting spirit and mental strength. Mahut has played about 17 hours in 3 matches in 5 days, and still looks fresh. Even Nadull would have a hard time doing that.

So what if Nadull would've beaten them easily? That doesn't show his mental strength, that just shows he's a better player than them. Isner and Mahut's mental strength shown in this match bitchslaps anything Nadull has ever done.

:lol:

Matt01
06-24-2010, 12:39 AM
Djokovic would've retired approximately 4000 times during Isner/Mahut.

Haha, you're funny. Almost as funny as Glory when he/she/it is talking about "Nadull".

Very pathetic.

green25814
06-24-2010, 12:48 AM
Haha, you're funny. Almost as funny as Glory when he/she/it is talking about "Nadull".

Very pathetic.

Lol, you cant handle the truth.

Matt01
06-24-2010, 12:58 AM
Lol, you cant handle the truth.

What truth? You're talking shit!

Jimnik
06-24-2010, 01:05 AM
I suppose serving 54 times to stay in a match does deserve credit.

green25814
06-24-2010, 01:09 AM

Djokovic is a coward. Mahut and Isner are warriors.

TRUTH.

MacTheKnife
06-24-2010, 01:13 AM
I suppose serving 54 times to stay in a match does deserve credit.

Well when you put it like that.. :haha: Good one. :yeah:

BigJohn
06-24-2010, 01:45 AM

Come on now... Sure, the 4000 times number is provocation, but the point about not finishing the match is a valid one. I doubt Djokovic could have lasted 5 sets in these conditions today. I was rather warm and you know Nole does not endure hot conditions well.

emotion
06-24-2010, 01:57 AM
Nadal's mental toughness is overrated...
let me just say...
6-0 6-7 (8) 4-6

raahaat7
06-24-2010, 03:57 AM
we have seen many a great talent fade into oblivion without doing anything of note, only becos of lack of mental toughnes. So talent is not the only thing needed to acheive success at the highest level. Federer must be the toughest of them all for acheiving so much so consistently over such a long period.

Mimi
06-24-2010, 04:03 AM
undoubtedly, its rafa the warrior:cool:

River
08-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Bumping to keep alive!

It's a tie between Federer and Murray this month of August, though Federer has a habit of... well...

...being an absolute moron lol

KeiNishikoriCro
03-31-2011, 05:10 PM
Who of this players you think are best mentally?

KaiserT
03-31-2011, 05:12 PM
What a ridiculous sig, you'd better remove that spamming bullshit or you'll get banned.

Edit* he removed it (I'm not crazy).

Hewitt =Legend
03-31-2011, 05:12 PM
Nadal.

Certinfy
03-31-2011, 05:15 PM
Berdych, Gulbis or Almagro.

Mental giants.

KeiNishikoriCro
03-31-2011, 05:15 PM
oh yes I forgot Gulbis :D

Sonja1989
03-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Berdych, Gulbis or Almagro.

Mental giants.

You forget Cilic and Verdasco. ;)

Otherwise I think Del Potro.

ExcaliburII
03-31-2011, 05:17 PM
what a random list. Players terribly weak mentally like Federer, Murray with mental monsters like DelPotro, Nadal and Djokovic.

Fat Camel
03-31-2011, 05:19 PM
You forget Cilic and Verdasco. ;)

Otherwise I think Del Potro.

What about Murray after losing AO 2011 final?
This guy is mentally unbreakable.

KeiNishikoriCro
03-31-2011, 05:20 PM
I think Youzhny! When he breaks his head he is mentally awesome :D

Brick Top
03-31-2011, 05:21 PM
Novak Djokovic ;)

Sonja1989
03-31-2011, 05:22 PM
Anyway I miss Isner and Montanes from poll. :)

ssin
03-31-2011, 05:22 PM
Nadal, without any doubt.

Elbarto
03-31-2011, 05:25 PM
Who is best player mentally

1)Nadal
2)Federer
3)Del Potro

the others players have random mental strength, sometimes it's good, sometimes it's weak

ExcaliburII
03-31-2011, 05:25 PM
THe most clutch players on tour:

DelPotro
Nadal
Muller
Isner

vn01
03-31-2011, 05:42 PM
Del Potro, then Nadal

Nadull_tard
03-31-2011, 05:51 PM
Mental toughness is a variable value. Federer was a mindset monster when he dominated, the same thing works for Nadal since 2008.
Though, Nadal was a mental midget after losing in RG 2009, and regained his self confidence at last in Monte Carlo 2010, in the meantime losing all encounters against Top 10 players and a shitload of important tie-breaks with mediocre players like Ljubicic or Blake.

abraxas21
03-31-2011, 06:50 PM
it's a coin toss betweeen paul henri mathieu and james blake

FormerRafaFan
03-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Nadal. I don't think he would be where he is today if it hadn't been for his strong mentality. I have always admired just how strong he is mentally. I can't even count all of the times he's come back from being under 0-4 or 0-5 or from 1 or 2 sets down. His fighting spirit, mentality and hard work has made him the #1 tennis player in the world. He certainly do not have the talent that Fed has, but all of those things combined have made him the world's best player. He is also extremely focused on the big points, and that's how he almost always win close matches.

Start da Game
03-31-2011, 07:02 PM
greatest fighter in the history of tennis.......

Sapeod
03-31-2011, 07:03 PM
When he's in a good mindset, Murray is unstoppable mentally.

Atm though, not so much.

The most mentally tough player is Montanes.
On the list, it's Del Potro.

Sapeod
03-31-2011, 07:04 PM
greatest fighter in the history of tennis.......
Yep, Montanes.

dombrfc
03-31-2011, 07:06 PM
Montanes

Start da Game
03-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Yep, Montanes.

that is somewhat dumb......montanes has fighting skill but it is very limited......

the greatest fighter in the history of tennis is nadal and even you know it.....

Everko
03-31-2011, 07:22 PM

Atm though, not so much.

Even you know that Nadal is the greatest fighter the game has seen since Borg.

Murray is the opposite of mentally strong.

Start da Game
03-31-2011, 07:27 PM

welcome back, friend.......hope everything's fine with you and the country.......the forum is never the same without you.......looking forward to see you in action during the clay season.......

Everko
03-31-2011, 07:28 PM
welcome back, friend.......hope everything's fine with you and the country.......the forum is never the same without you.......looking forward to see you in action during the clay season.......

It's good to be back. It's also nice to see you back as well. The clay season will be very fun this year with Rafa and Nole doing so well lately.

Sapeod
03-31-2011, 07:35 PM
that is somewhat dumb......montanes has fighting skill but it is very limited......
Somewhat dumb, is it?
No, Montanes is small (smaller than Nadal) and he fights for every single point.
His mentality is way above Nadal's.

the greatest fighter in the history of tennis is nadal and even you know it.....
Remember that time he lost to Davydenko after winning the first set 6-0?
Nadal sure is mentally tough :lol:

Montanes is by far the mentally toughest player on tour.

No, Montanes is.
Montanes' game just isn't big or good enough to have as much of an impact.

Murray at his strongest is one of the most unstoppable players, mentally.

Atm though, as I already said (I guess you didn't read my post properly), he isn't.

Everko
03-31-2011, 07:39 PM
But you also say Nadal isn't talented. Which means he has to be mentally strong and a fighter. But now you say he is mentally weak, which must mean he is super talented. Which is it?

DrJules
03-31-2011, 07:41 PM
Nadal and not that close.

DrJules
03-31-2011, 07:45 PM

Atm though, not so much.

You should do stand up comedy.:lol::lol::lol:

Sapeod
03-31-2011, 07:47 PM
But you also say Nadal isn't talented. Which means he has to be mentally strong and a fighter. But now you say he is mentally weak, which must mean he is super talented. Which is it?
No.

He is not talented.
Moonballing is not talent.

Where did I say he was mentally weak?
I just pointed out a match that he lost after being 6-0 up while joking about how "spartan tough" he was :lol:
I brought that up as evidence that Montanes is more mentally tough, which he is.
I didn't say Nadal was mentally weak.
READ MY POSTS PROPERLY!

vn01
03-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Olderer has 1 vote only :haha:

Mateya
03-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Nadal, Djokovič, Montanes, Simon. and some more I can't remember atm.
Kavcic too. :cool:

Tsonga, Monfils, Federer in the poll :lol:

dombrfc
03-31-2011, 08:17 PM

Montanes

Sapeod
03-31-2011, 08:18 PM
Olderer has 1 vote only :haha:
Federer.

Spell it properly! :rolleyes:

sexybeast
03-31-2011, 09:43 PM
Nadal followed by Djokovic, Del Potro.

Murray is terrible, specially ofcourt.

v-money
03-31-2011, 09:48 PM
How is Roddick not in this poll. Besides the serve it's the most stable part of his game.

About Montanes. I don't doubt that he showed mental toughness playing on the challengers tour or now playing a few good rounds of ATP 250 tournaments, but is this really that impressive. Put him in the final of even an ATP 500 and we might see a different story. He doesn't have nearly the same pressure on him as the top players. I give him credit for what he does, but I have to give more credit to these top guys.

Rafa#Uno:-)
03-31-2011, 09:54 PM
You should do stand up comedy.:lol::lol::lol:

agree

Snowwy
03-31-2011, 09:55 PM
Montanes without a doubt. What a beast.

03-31-2011, 09:56 PM

good one

finishingmove
03-31-2011, 09:56 PM
Montanes without a doubt. What a beast.

GGL too

but i don't see them in the poll.

can you edit murray's name in favor of montanes ?

03-31-2011, 09:59 PM
if you are mentally tough and not top 10 then you dont have evidence being that mentally tough. its get tougher the higher on the ranking you are right?

Matt01
03-31-2011, 10:54 PM
I have to say Nadal here followed by Del Potro.

Topspindoctor
04-01-2011, 01:41 AM
Set 3. Berdych on a roll with momentum. Nadal with 3 basic errors to go love 40. He hits several aces and service winners to hold and go on to win the match. Amazing mental toughness. I am sure if Berdych broke there, he would have run away with the match. But Nadal is #1 for a reason. Absolute GOAT.

Calidreth
04-01-2011, 01:44 AM
True that. Vamos!!!!!1111111

Mungo
04-01-2011, 01:44 AM
Yes he is, and not because of that. He's proven it on the big stage (Slams) against the top players, multiple times. A healthy Nadal is the best player of all time.

oranges
04-01-2011, 01:45 AM
That would be a man by the name of Bjorn Borg I believe. As for serving, I can only guess you've never seen what Sampras would do on second serves, let alone first.

Fujee
04-01-2011, 01:47 AM
I like Nadal, but this is just garbage.

Mungo
04-01-2011, 01:48 AM
That would be a man by the name of Bjorn Borg I believe. As for serving, I can only guess you've never seen what Sampras would do on second serves, let alone first.

Sampras is the clutchest server of all time but being clutch with your worst shot (Nadal's serve) is the toughest thing to do.

navy75
04-01-2011, 01:48 AM
Without question the strongest I've seen in my lifetime. Love him or hate him, the guy has just incredible heart. I also love how he never rests on his laurels, as he was in Halle a day after winning his first French Open, and was talking about winning the career Grand Slam at New York just minutes after winning the FO in 2010.

Voo de Mar
04-01-2011, 01:49 AM
Overreacting. Nadal played an impressive game but it was at 0:0 (0-40) :lol: Becker, Sampras or Ivanisevic used to win frequently games (and later sets) in that style at 4:5 or 5:6.

mystic ice cube
04-01-2011, 01:49 AM
I highly doubt it. Nadal's game is based around defense & speed, something which I believe doesn't require as much mental strength in difficult situations as some other players on tour. Personally, I'd put the likes of Del Potro above Nadal in terms of mental strength, because painting the lines requires the steadiest of mental focus & composure. That's not to say the guy isn't mentally tough, because I think he is one of the best out there with it, but I'd rank a couple of players above him.

LinkMage
04-01-2011, 01:50 AM
No, he's just surrounded by mental midgets. :zzz:

oranges
Sampras is the clutchest server of all time but being clutch with your worst shot (Nadal's serve) is the toughest thing to do.

Yeah, lets spin it in some way that favors what you want the end result to be. Acing first serves must be harder than acing on second serves BPs down. Genius. It's still Borg BTW.

Mountaindewslave
i don't understand the 'shut ups', are you guys totally delusional? this is not stating necessarily that he is the best of all time, but that he is the most mentally tough of all time. I don't know about you all, but I have watched many tennis matches (today) and matches from before my time and there are not many, IF ANY, players that have the mentality and belief that Nadal has no matter what situation. Honestly i don't think an opposing argument could even bring up more than a few matches in his career where he gave up or appeared to totally lose belief. it's just a matter of fact that if he isn't the best player mentally in tennis history, which i think he is, then he is one of the best of all time. Don't be in denial haters, there is a difference between best skill ever and best mentality

GreenCheese
04-01-2011, 01:51 AM
Hahaha, I voted yes because I like him :dance:

But I dunno, there have been many mentally tough tennis players over the years...but he's in the top 5 for sure...

dombrfc
04-01-2011, 01:51 AM
Not even mentally toughest today, let alone all time.

navy75
04-01-2011, 01:54 AM
It can't be Sampras imo, as he was far too nonchalant about constantly losing on clay. Even when Wimbledon was much faster, Rafa was insistent on finding a way to win on grass, and would be out practicing on grass within 24 hours of winning the FO for several years running. Also, Sampras' game style (i.e. big serve) allowed him to coast through matches in a way that Rafa never can.

The game came far easier to Borg, but he also didn't have Nadal's heart imo. The second that McEnroe started getting the better of Borg, Bjorn had decided he was through with the game. I loved Borg's fluidity and personality, but again he didn't have the heart of Nadal imo.

crude oil
04-01-2011, 01:55 AM
if nadal loses to OLDerer, then he has no chance to become GOAT in mental dept.

FiBeR
04-01-2011, 01:55 AM
Is this thread a totally pointless biased Nadal thread?

Art&Soul
04-01-2011, 01:56 AM
Nah, just luckiest player of all time

out_here_grindin
04-01-2011, 01:58 AM
if you are mentally tough and not top 10 then you dont have evidence being that mentally tough. its get tougher the higher on the ranking you are right?

It's still an incredible achievement to be in the top 20,30,40 even top 100. No matter how mentally tough you are, there are physical limitations to how high you can go.

Topspindoctor
Nah, just luckiest player of all time

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1Vt5rOCE_Yuhbz2O4DfeZdBL-ug0l7BRguWwwCr5OUASG-ZTU

Mungo
I like Nadal, but this is just garbage.

Garbage? WTF? You can discuss if Sampras and Borg are in the same league as Nadal in mental toughness but Nadal should definitely be in the discussion. Unfortunately, the Nadal haters are too stubborn to admit his mental toughness, they forgot soon the multiple close matches Nadal has won against top players on the big stage.

BigJohn
04-01-2011, 02:01 AM
It is obvious. The poll is also truly underestimating Nadal's greatness. I mean come on. The mental toughness is a given, he's clutchier than the clutchiest of clutches.

The proper question should be :

Is Nadal the greatest human being of all time?

Action Jackson
04-01-2011, 02:02 AM
Coming back from this and making number 1 in the world.

6uNB4tMl8P8

Say Hey Kid
04-01-2011, 02:03 AM
I do think topspindoctor is over Nadal's jock too much, but in all honesty, it is a good question.

IMO yes, Nadal is the mentally toughest player of all time. His grandslam track record and performance during marquee matches speak for themselves.

As for his performance in this match, imo you can't really judge mental toughness in the top 5 players on any event but grand slams and olympic.

There just isn't that much on the line for the top players in masters 1000 events. They certainly dont need the prize money, the points are nice, and legacy in tennis is now defined by major titles. The pressure is there, but no seasoned legit top 5 player chokes up under the lights playing them. Hell, just look at Murray's success...the biggest choke artist in recent history, and perhaps all time doesn't even a problem holding his nerves in these tournaments.

The WTA, the master of choker's is another prime example. Mental toughness shows and shines during the slams and only the slams.

Raferminator
04-01-2011, 02:08 AM
Yes, he is by a mile. No one in the history of the game has shown even a smidgen of the mental toughness that Rafael Nadal displays week in and week out month after month and year after year. Great thread and observation!! :yeah:

i don't understand the 'shut ups', are you guys totally delusional? this is not stating necessarily that he is the best of all time, but that he is the most mentally tough of all time. I don't know about you all, but I have watched many tennis matches (today) and matches from before my time and there are not many, IF ANY, players that have the mentality and belief that Nadal has no matter what situation. Honestly i don't think an opposing argument could even bring up more than a few matches in his career where he gave up or appeared to totally lose belief. it's just a matter of fact that if he isn't the best player mentally in tennis history, which i think he is, then he is one of the best of all time. Don't be in denial haters, there is a difference between best skill ever and best mentality

:secret: Bitter Fedtards...need I say more? :shrug:

careergrandslam
04-01-2011, 02:13 AM
stop jinxing him topspindoctor, he could mentally collapse tomorrow in the semis after this jinx.

abraxas21
04-01-2011, 02:16 AM
That would be a man by the name of Bjorn Borg I believe.

on court he was very mentally strong. yet on the long run he just couldnt tolerate the pressure of getting owned by macenroe and called the quits...

Topspindoctor
04-01-2011, 02:18 AM
stop jinxing him topspindoctor, he could mentally collapse tomorrow in the semis after this jinx.

I don't believe in jinxes

Action Jackson
04-01-2011, 02:18 AM
on court he was very mentally strong. yet on the long run he just couldnt tolerate the pressure of getting owned by macenroe and called the quits...

Don't be lazy, there were other reasons to it.

Priam
04-01-2011, 02:19 AM
Topspindoc is sounding more and more like Word Life everyday. :lol:

abraxas21
04-01-2011, 02:20 AM
Don't be lazy, there were other reasons to it.

of course no-one would like to admit that the reason for quitting is that you're getting owned by another player...

but sure, there were other reasons. there always are...

delboy
04-01-2011, 02:22 AM
I think he probably is. Del pony is pretty clutch as well. Roddick too back when he was good (though not so much in finals..). Hewitt as well. dont think anyone beats those guys.

Action Jackson
04-01-2011, 02:24 AM
of course no-one would like to admit that the reason for quitting is that you're getting owned by another player...

So you know about the ITF contract situation with him at the time? Borg was on the tour for 10 years.

Of course he knew the other players were catching up, fact of life. This explains it.

What happened to Bjorn Borg in 1981 is that the ITF organized the Grand Prix Tour with eight tournaments imposed on the players. Maybe Borg didn't know exactly which tournament he wanted to go to, and he didn't sign. So the rules were that he had to qualify for Roland Garros, even though he had won it four times in a row (six titles in eight tournaments) and he was then number one in the ATP ranking... French Open organizers did try to make money out of his qualifying games by selling tickets on a big court at Jean Bouin. Bjorn Borg didn't accept that and decided not to play again.

ExcaliburII
04-01-2011, 02:25 AM
yes. definitely

abraxas21
04-01-2011, 02:27 AM
So you know about the ITF contract situation with him at the time? Borg was on the tour for 10 years.

Of course he knew the other players were catching up, fact of life. This explains it.

What happened to Bjorn Borg in 1981 is that the ITF organized the Grand Prix Tour with eight tournaments imposed on the players. Maybe Borg didn't know exactly which tournament he wanted to go to, and he didn't sign. So the rules were that he had to qualify for Roland Garros, even though he had won it four times in a row (six titles in eight tournaments) and he was then number one in the ATP ranking... French Open organizers did try to make money out of his qualifying games by selling tickets on a big court at Jean Bouin. Bjorn Borg didn't accept that and decided not to play again.

i did say there were other reasons involved but i do think that he couldnt bare the heat of getting owned by mac and i think that's the main reason for him retiring so early.

speculation? sure it is but it's what i think went through his head.

Action Jackson
04-01-2011, 02:32 AM
i did say there were other reasons involved but i do think that he couldnt bare the heat of getting owned by mac and i think that's the main reason for him retiring so early.

speculation? sure it is but it's what i think went through his head.

Actually those are the combined reasons, one fitted in with the other. He played one tournament in 1982 and retired in 83.

Death threats at the US Open, but hey it was only cause he was losing, not that he was losing to McEnroe and Connors before he retired as he had perfect records against them.

v-money
05-29-2011, 05:31 PM
About Montanes. I don't doubt that he showed mental toughness playing on the challengers tour or now playing a few good rounds of ATP 250 tournaments, but is this really that impressive. Put him in the final of even an ATP 500 and we might see a different story. He doesn't have nearly the same pressure on him as the top players. I give him credit for what he does, but I have to give more credit to these top guys.

So Montanes got to play in a big match today, in front of a big crowd and with a lot of pressure and frankly he crumbled. Wonder is this changes some opinions of him as a mentally strong player. Or is this just an anomaly / something that happens to most players during their career?

I still think that the top players are mentally stronger and that stability has developed from being in tough situations many times in their career.

Start da Game
05-29-2011, 05:34 PM
So Montanes got to play in a big match today, in front of a big crowd and with a lot of pressure and frankly he crumbled. Wonder is this changes some opinions of him as a mentally strong player. Or is this just an anomaly / something that happens to most players during their career?

I still think that the top players are mentally stronger and that stability has developed from being in tough situations many times in their career.

he (http://www.treehugger.com/conan.jpg) will dismiss you.....

v-money
05-29-2011, 05:41 PM
he (http://www.treehugger.com/conan.jpg) will dismiss you.....

:confused:

swisht4u
05-29-2011, 06:20 PM
DelPo, he doesn't care where he's playing, who he's playing or what the stakes are.
Fed and Nadal are up there but both have choked numerous times also.

You have to keep in mind that trying to do more than what you are able looks like a choke but is really playing riskier.

Roddick is also pretty strong though doesn't have the skills.

Nole fan
05-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Nole is now mentally stronger than anyone.

Allez
05-29-2011, 07:13 PM

Tough to disagree with that :hug:

Sapeod
05-29-2011, 07:18 PM
He doesn't need to be when his opponents either run out of gas, play terrible, choke or fold. He's not the mentally toughest player at all.

Allez
05-29-2011, 07:19 PM
He doesn't need to be when his opponents either run out of gas, play terrible, choke or fold. He's not the mentally toughest player at all.

Who is ?