What is wrong with Andrew Murray?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What is wrong with Andrew Murray??

Frank Winkler
03-25-2011, 09:29 PM
any one have some solid info, as to what may cause Andy Murray to lose all thes matches now?
He is been playing poorly ever since loosing in the Australian Open.
I would be intrested in any info that might explain is drop in form.
Thank you

philosophicalarf
03-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Same as last year:

1) Disappointment at losing an Aus Open final he thought he could win (probably spuriously, given how crap he was against Ferrer and Dolgo the previous two rounds).
2) Falling out of love with tennis a bit, especially ....
3) Masters events, which don't mean as much when you've won 6.

He'll prolly repeat last year's pattern, sleepwalk through clay and wake up for Wimbledon, then win Canada for the 3rd year in a row :-)

FlameOn
03-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Same as last year:

1) Disappointment at losing an Aus Open final he thought he could win (probably spuriously, given how crap he was against Ferrer and Dolgo the previous two rounds).
2) Falling out of love with tennis a bit, especially ....

He'll prolly repeat last year's pattern, sleepwalk through clay and wake up for Wimbledon, then win Canada for the 3rd year in a row :-)
Yeah, he'll be fine eventually. He did this last year too.

Elbarto
03-25-2011, 09:48 PM
what is wrong with Andrew Murray??

lack of motivation, he doesn't want to win, he has lost his fighting spirit after the australian open,

maybe he doesn't care about tennis, he is on IDLE mode and he waits the beginning of the grass season where he can restart the engine

GlennMirnyi
03-25-2011, 09:50 PM
No game, mug mentality, miserable git.

Kat_YYZ
03-25-2011, 09:50 PM
come on... it's one thing to lose early to Kohlschreiber and Fish... but this?

Hellraiser
03-25-2011, 09:55 PM
It's so simple he is exhausted after AO final.

straitup
03-25-2011, 09:55 PM
come on... it's one thing to lose early to Kohlschreiber and Fish... but this?

Agreed. Last year, he was never this far down. A 6-2 6-1 beating to Kohli on clay, well that seems a tiny tiny bit more reasonable than a 6-1 7-5 loss to Bogomolov on his best surface, or a 7-6 6-3 loss to Young. He did actually win some matches on clay last year, losing to Ferrer twice, and then beaten in the 4R of Roland Garros by Berdych who was around his peak last year. This year, you don't see him making the 4R of Roland Garros

ossie
03-25-2011, 09:56 PM
he has no forehand

Sunset of Age
03-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Suffering the understandable mental drawbacks of not being able to win a major/GS-title when it truly mattered the most, two (or more?) times in a row by now.

Muzza is still young, he's a talented player, a GOOD player when he's on. Writing him off is very much prematurally right now.

He'll be back. I do recommend him to get some coaching in the mental department though - tennis is NOT all about 'who has the biggest muscles'. It's the HEAD that counts most of all. ;)

Mr. Butterfly
03-25-2011, 09:58 PM
He's serving like Andrea Murray now, and Djokovic crushed his confidence in Melbourne...

Blackbriar
03-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Agreed. Last year, he was never this far down. A 6-2 6-1 beating to Kohli on clay, well that seems a tiny tiny bit more reasonable than a 6-1 7-5 loss to Bogomolov on his best surface, or a 7-6 6-3 loss to Young. He did actually win some matches on clay last year, losing to Ferrer twice, and then beaten in the 4R of Roland Garros by Berdych who was around his peak last year. This year, you don't see him making the 4R of Roland Garros

so true, Young and Bogomolov, :eek: how could he go lower. These guys are really crap, i'm sorry to tell the truth. He could completely fall apart during clay season. It's not like he is very confident on the surface.

DrJules
03-25-2011, 10:02 PM
He needs to see a psychologist.

Sillyrabbit
03-25-2011, 10:05 PM
he has no forehand

Not even in his top 3 problems right now.

DrJules
03-25-2011, 10:07 PM
he has no forehand

He should be able to beat this guy without a forehand or backhand of note.

GlennMirnyi
03-25-2011, 10:08 PM
He should be able to beat this guy serving underhand with a frying pan.

Mjau!
03-25-2011, 10:12 PM
I would have more respect for Andrew if he pulled out of these tournies instead of tanking in the first round.
It's dishonest.

yuri27
03-25-2011, 10:34 PM
He only cares about Slams,which is a bit understandable in his situation.

fast_clay
03-25-2011, 11:21 PM
he needs a coach who will tell it to him straight... not pad his corner with yes men who are too afraid to say what needs to be said: harden the f*** up andy, it's the only way to get rid of that nasty case of vaginitus...

Sunset of Age
03-25-2011, 11:22 PM

I've heard this kind of an excuse just a few times too many lately. :angel:

duong
03-25-2011, 11:26 PM
He needs to see a psychologist.

+1

and maybe get rid of his mother, I don't know but imo it's deeper than the coach or anything ...

Mungo
03-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Murray will be fine soon.

Clay season is coming.

Goldenoldie
03-25-2011, 11:32 PM
He should be able to beat this guy serving underhand with a frying pan.

And blindfolded!

ossie
03-25-2011, 11:32 PM
He should be able to beat this guy without a forehand or backhand of note.
these are just fluke losses, he has bigger problems to worry about, like why he cant win slams. i find it baffling that even murray seems to think its between his ears and his counterpunching game has nothing to do with it. what he needs is a real coach not a shrink.

Mungo
03-25-2011, 11:34 PM
I still believe Murray on current form could give Pere Riba a run for his money

duong
03-25-2011, 11:43 PM
it's not only that he lost to Bogomolov : he lost his serve 7 times out of 10 service games come on he clearly has a big mental problem :shrug:

it was already visible against Young (that match we could see) and even in the end of the AO final.

Say Hey Kid
03-26-2011, 12:43 AM
I'd imagine it's hard to recover mentally after the AO defeat. Keep in mind, he also suffered this defeat when the world and public fully didn't grasp how good Djokovic has become. The way he got bullied in that final was embarassing and a new low for his career.

If you watched the Rotterdam match, you could tell he lost purposely to Baghdatis. He probably didn't pick up a racquet for awhile, slacked on his training, and now he can't get it going again. He's 23 years old, has made over $15M in prize money alone, and winning Master's series does nothing but have people wonder why he can't perform that well in slams.

It comes down to the fact he doesn't need the money, the points, nor the fame he receives when winning Masters series. That all equals up to a lack of motivation which translates to lack of training and prepartion.

swebright
03-26-2011, 02:24 AM
Wasted talent.

Sham Kay
03-26-2011, 02:27 AM
Can't say whats going through the head of a great player like Andy. Hm hm. Probably knows he'll peak for the slams nowadays, as thats where the real motivation will lie. Not worried personally.

Topspindoctor
03-26-2011, 02:42 AM
He is wisely tanking every HC tournament, while secretly training on clay in order to capture RG this year.

romismak
03-26-2011, 02:42 AM
He definetely has everything he needs to win majors and Masters regularly- the competition is pretty tough - Rafa, Nole, Roger, Soda, Delpo - then 2nd tier guys like Roddick, Berdych, Ferrer, Tsonga and others but still when he is playing in form- he is definetely top 3 on HC and nowadays when not many can play on grass he is top 3-4 on grass too- that means he has a shot to win every tournament on HC or grass he play when he is in form and has confidence. I think he has many people arround him that told him what to do- and it didn´t help, he just must start to work even harder than before- train, train and train to make his shots even better, to become fitter and boost his endurance and succes will come in future- maybe it is like with Nole- he is just waiting that something will switch in his head and he just start to belive in himself and will have confidence like Nole.

zcess81
03-26-2011, 02:46 AM

You may be right about that...and I think that is THE MAIN reason why he's never won one. He underestimates non-slam tournaments like he underestimates most of his opponents. How many times have we seen an opponent outside top 20/top 50 his a GREAT shot/serve past Murray that nobody could have returned, and Murray starts bitching/moaning like he should have/could have done something about it. He underestimates non-slam tournaments, he underestimates opponents outside top 10-20 and he overestimates his grand slam chances. All that equals an EPIC GRAND SLAM FAIL.

Mechlan
03-26-2011, 08:27 AM
I've heard this kind of an excuse just a few times too many lately. :angel:

Why do you think it's an excuse? Deep down, I'm almost positive this is exactly how he feels. He has titles at all other levels. Winning more of them is not even close in importance to him as winning his first Slam.

Bobby
03-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Why do you think it's an excuse? Deep down, I'm almost positive this is exactly how he feels. He has titles at all other levels. Winning more of them is not even close in importance to him as winning his first Slam.

Yes but slams and other tournaments are not mutually exclusive. Especially since Murray hasn't won a single slam yet. He has mental issues and they are not solved by letting guys like Young and Bogdanovic kick his ass.

nalbyfan
03-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Maybe he needs Dr Freud or someone like that...he seems to have a midget mentality, a psychotherapist could be the solution

Sonja1989
03-26-2011, 01:26 PM
I think the reason is his loss in Australian Open final...

LawrenceOfTennis
03-26-2011, 01:28 PM
He lacks champion factor, not talent.

Beat
03-26-2011, 02:17 PM

:rolls: yeah, right.

born_on_clay
03-26-2011, 03:54 PM
No game, mug mentality, miserable git.

this

Blackbriar
03-26-2011, 04:21 PM
:sobbing: oh mommy, they don't let me win, they are evil :tears:

Nadull_tard
03-26-2011, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't say it's one particular thing, more like a mixture of features which make Murray what he is.
Basically, his game is very one-dimensional unlike the opinions of "experts", his gameplan works out ONLY when Andy is in top physical form, otherwise this no-idea pushing starts to become really painful to watch and what's even worse for Murray, he's being spanked by mediocre players when they are tough enough physically.
Second and most popular part, mentality. In-form Murray can be really strong in that department, The Scot rarely shakes If he's aware of his big form, for instance he was very, very confident against Federer in Toronto and Shanghai, whereas Roger wasn't playing awful. On the other hand, final failures are incredibly devastating for his mental attitude, probably he refuses to practice hard, he seems completely broken after that kind of loss and needs too much time for a top player and contender to put his shit together.

I doubt he's done as a tennis player, obviously he's going to win something.

FiBeR
03-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Id reccomend shock therapy :p
...and tons of Anime -Dr. FiBeR

iriraz
03-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Somewhere i read that yesterday in the first set he played like someone who has forgotten to play tennis.Certainly there are things in his game which are not working right now and then his whole game is falling apart.
Loosing serve 6-7 times in 2 sets is unacceptable for any player on tour.
I didn`t see the match but serving around 50% and winning just 53% of points on first serve and 33% on second serve it`s clear his serve has completely gone.

tennisfan856
03-26-2011, 06:16 PM
I was able to watch young/murray on a side-court tennis channel feed but not yesterday's match.

The forehand is spraying a LOT of errors, like dumping into the bottom of the net right after the player gets a return.
His serve, it's just awful right now. The velocity was in the 110's and he wasn't placing it well at all. He didn't hit any of his corners.
Backhand is ok but he's just pushing it.

Forehand and serve were really awful against young. Plus, he was a prick on court, sarcastic laughing, not really caring. He doesn't look like a player who is training hard at the moment.

Mechlan
03-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Yes but slams and other tournaments are not mutually exclusive. Especially since Murray hasn't won a single slam yet. He has mental issues and they are not solved by letting guys like Young and Bogdanovic kick his ass.

I think this is something he has yet to learn. It's not that he doesn't want to win MS titles, but I think the motivation is just lacking a little because he somehow feels that even if he does win these titles it's not that big a deal. He needs to adjust his thinking and find the motivation to train and overcome these losses. Andy has plenty of good tennis left, but he can't sit around moping, he's got to get off his ass and do it.

Vida
03-26-2011, 06:58 PM
its simple, what he needs is a smart coach at whom he trusts. whats worrying is to hear that andy is 'not coachable'. so there must be a 'click' of some sort and than a proper coach. no other way.

solowyn
03-26-2011, 07:07 PM
He doesn't look like a player who is training hard at the moment.
Mmm.
Definite concern about his team...

tennisfan856
03-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Mmm.
Definite concern about his team...

for sure, he might think he is being productive in the gym or on the court with his team (it's what he says in the newspaper quotes or his website). But, it is not translating at all on the court and that is a reflection of andy's coaching decisions.

Minotaur
03-26-2011, 09:10 PM
I believe the reason is his painful loss to Djokovic in AO final. It's not about that his lost, and not even that he lost in straight sets, it's about how his lost. He was beaten badly. You probably remember how he struggled physically in the end of that match...

Now Andy just lacks motivation. He lost most important match in a year and... why bother now? He can beat both Young and Bogomolov... but what for?

abraxas21
03-26-2011, 09:12 PM
murray is playing a great doubles match, though.

Super Djoker
03-26-2011, 09:27 PM
It's so simple he is exhausted after AO final.

Yeah Djokovic was Exausted too! that,s why he won his next 12 matches. Murray,s 23 no excuse. Federer is 29 and he plays Loads of matches!

tangerine_dream
03-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Nothing's wrong with him. He's playing at his normal level.

Halba
03-26-2011, 09:33 PM
andy's mental walkabouts surprising. he has not recovered from the slam loss to djoker.

tennishero
03-26-2011, 09:40 PM
murray totally let his doubles team down, what a loser

alter ego
03-26-2011, 09:46 PM
murray totally let his doubles team down, what a loser

:retard:
Djokovic double faulted at 8-6 to let the ex-soviets back in the match.

Garson007
03-27-2011, 02:55 PM
The bastard child of Carmen Sandiego and Waldo would be easier to find than Murray's motivation.

Certinfy
03-27-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't know about his match a few days ago but against Baghdatis and Young he clearly was trying to be a lot more aggressive than usual, just doesn't make any sense why he would do that :shrug:

LocoPorElTenis
03-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Just a slump, last year was similar though clearly not as bad. The thing is, there's nothing to be ashamed of, he lost a GS final against a player in outstanding form, the Brisith press might not like it but it was within the realm of possibility and we now know it wasn't a fluke performance by Nole.

peribsen
03-27-2011, 03:37 PM
His mother. I know I have alredy said it many times, but I really think it's true. Guy badly needs a change in his team.

duong
03-27-2011, 03:46 PM
His mother. I know I have alredy said it many times, but I really think it's true. Guy badly needs a change in his team.

I think it's part of the problem but changing one's mother is much tougher than changing one's team :lol:

one could also think of changing his childhood, some might say Dunblane massacre ... change Murray's brain :lol:

yes maybe get away a little bit from his mother (maybe the same could be said for Gasquet ;) )

but anyway it's not easy.