GOAT/Choke/Mug of the Day, Nominations for March 27, 2011 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

GOAT/Choke/Mug of the Day, Nominations for March 27, 2011

Johnny Groove
03-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Since we all know that MTF has a penchant for naming a different GOAT every day, I have opened this thread to catalog.

Feel free to predict as well.

For March 25, 2011, when Godig defeats Soderling, he will be today's GOAT. Maybe. If he wins. Or maybe it will be Somdev beating Raonic. Who knows.

There is also Choke of the Day and Mug of the Day, both self-explanatory. :wavey:

March 25, 2011:

GOAT- Alex Bogomolov Jr.
Choke- Fernando Verdasco
Mug- Andy Murray

March 26, 2011:

GOAT- Carlos Berlocq (The Legendary)
Choke- Marcos Baghdatis
Mug- Ernests Gulbis

Puschkin
03-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Llodra for today. ;)

samanosuke
03-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Dodig will not beat soderling . he isn't capable of defeating top players except when he plays against bolder version of ivan

Roamed
03-25-2011, 04:45 PM
It would be fun to have a thread for who we think was the standout player of the day, whether because of an upset or a really hard fight or something.

Looking like Dodig for today :(

StoGas
03-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Kunitsyn defeating Ferrer :rocker2:

Johnny Groove
03-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Somdev GOATvarman looks to be the titlist today after his epic win over 31 seed and former GOAT of the Week Milos Raonic.

Alas, Ivan Dodig's unfathomable choke from 4-1 up in the third with numerous chances to upset Robin Soderling has so far for today earned him the dubious honor of Choke of the Day.

Have a tall one tonight, Ivan :drink:

Blackbriar
03-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Somdev is definitely the GOAT of the Day. The Canadian Queer is the choke of the day.

Johnny Groove
03-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Verdasco still has the chance to lose to Andujar.

I am adding mug of the day.

v-money
03-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Somdev GOATvarman looks to be the titlist today after his epic win over 31 seed and former GOAT of the Week Milos Raonic.

Alas, Ivan Dodig's unfathomable choke from 4-1 up in the third with numerous chances to upset Robin Soderling has so far for today earned him the dubious honor of Choke of the Day.

Have a tall one tonight, Ivan :drink:

The day is still young. We could see bigger surprises and surely a bigger choke than Dodig, which didn't seem like much of a choke to me.

Silvester
03-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Somdev is definitely the GOAT of the Day. The Canadian Queer is the choke of the day.

Milos is gay?

StoGas
03-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Raonic choke of the day for sure guys :)

LawrenceOfTennis
03-25-2011, 05:36 PM
why is this goating so fashinable? it makes the word and the meaning second-hand.....shouldn't have to do this

Jomp1
03-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Raonic choke of the day for sure guys :)

Dodig up 4-1 in the final to lose 4-6 is more of a choke than Raonic dropping a break up to lose, already being a set down.

Blackbriar
03-25-2011, 05:45 PM
Dodig up 4-1 in the final to lose 4-6 is more of a choke than Raonic dropping a break up to lose, already being a set down.
$yeah but dodig was facing world #4, winner of 3 titles this year. Raonic was facing Devvarman.

FiBeR
03-25-2011, 06:52 PM
OMFG :help: Murray maybe? :tape:

Certinfy
03-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Great idea :yeah:

Blackbriar
03-25-2011, 07:14 PM
The game is already over. The Mug of the Day will be The Mug of Week. What is happening with Andy? :eek:

GSMnadal
03-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Make that mug of the year, back to back losses against Young and Bogomolov Jr. (if he loses of course, i'd still favour him to come back) on his favourite surface! I feel it's almost time to start a 'Will Murray win another match in 2011?' thread :rolleyes: Can't wait for the clay season :devil:

DartMarcus
03-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Bogo beats Murray = he is GOAT, Murray is MUG
Bogo losses to Murray in a close 3-setter = he is CHOKE, Murray is MUG
Bogo losses to Murray in an easy 3-setter = he is MUG, Murray is MUG

Sunset of Age
03-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Wawrinka is showing himself as a fierce candidate right now, about to eat a bagel/breadstick fed by Granollers.

Bagel it is. :drool:

Johnny Groove
03-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Mugdasco is always a candidate for mug of the day and today is no different.

DFing on set point down vs. Pablo Andujar the Great.

Sunset of Age
03-25-2011, 07:39 PM
How about Fiasco, losing the second set to Andujar?

Everyone's making a strong case today.
Must be because none of these matches are on tv/streamed. :rocker2:

Dougie
03-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Make that mug of the year, back to back losses against Young and Bogomolov Jr. (if he loses of course, i'd still favour him to come back) on his favourite surface! I feel it's almost time to start a 'Will Murray win another match in 2011?' thread :rolleyes: Can't wait for the clay season :devil:

Doesn´t matter if he wins it, 1-6 against Bogomolov Jr? Unreal...

Lurking
03-25-2011, 07:42 PM
I'd like to congratulate Fish and Troicki for putting in an average performance today, everyone else is loopy.

Johnny Groove
03-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Too many mugs, not enough awards.

Kat_YYZ
03-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Bogo beats Murray = he is GOAT, Murray is MUG
Bogo losses to Murray in a close 3-setter = he is CHOKE, Murray is MUG
Bogo losses to Murray in an easy 3-setter = he is MUG, Murray is MUG

:haha:
This. Murray has already clinched Mug of the Day

oranges
03-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Too many mugs, not enough awards.

:lol: Seems like the start of this thread opened the doors to a flood far more vast than usual

Fat Camel
03-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Bogomolov a new candidate for the Choke of the Day.

Johnny Groove
03-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Verdasco hits two DF back to back to give Andujar the break, and he's now serving for the match.

Mugray has already lost. Is Bogo's win more GOAT worthy than GOATvarman def. Raonic?

oranges
03-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Muzza wins joke of the day no doubt, make it joke of the month right away, no one's gonna outdo this :lol:

navy75
03-25-2011, 08:16 PM
I think Fiasco's loss is far worse. Losing to such a lower ranked countryman is just inexcusable.

Björki
03-25-2011, 08:18 PM
what a day..

Andujar def. Verdasco 3-6 7-6 6-4 :tape:

Sunset of Age
03-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Unbelievable fierce competition today. All the lads frantically fighting for this title.

Muzza and Fiasco should both be considered. I have no preference between the two.

oranges
03-25-2011, 08:31 PM
I think Fiasco's loss is far worse. Losing to such a lower ranked countryman is just inexcusable.

I'm sorry, but world no5, who was a slam finalist not too long ago, wins hands down in my eyes. Fiasco has done nothing since clay, almost a year now, and has never been to Muzza's ranking heights to begin with.

StoGas
03-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Chokes of the day:
1. Murray
2. Verdasco
3. Raonic

puppy555
03-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Chokes of the day:
1. Murray
2. Verdasco
3. Raonic

Can't really say Murray choked ... he was never in a winnable position to begin with :tape:

v-money
03-25-2011, 10:17 PM
The day is still young. We could see bigger surprises and surely a bigger choke than Dodig, which didn't seem like much of a choke to me.

Oh yeah, we definitely have more choices now. Maybe you should make a poll. GOAT of the day in my opinion would be Bogomolov Jr. for finishing the job in 2 sets. Choke of the day and Mug of the Day has to go to Verdasco though. That was an awful loss.

Johnny Groove
03-25-2011, 10:40 PM
I have added a poll.

For me, Andujar is GOAT, Verdasco is choke, Murray is mug.

Honorable mention to Wawrinka.

ssin
03-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Crazy day in Miami.

Blackbriar
03-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Murray didn't even choked, he was outplayed from the beginning.

out_here_grindin
03-26-2011, 12:05 AM
This day will be remembered as epic mug day

Matt01
03-26-2011, 02:44 AM
GOAT of the day: Djokovic :bowdown:

Mug of the day: Murray :sad:

Choke of the day: :shrug:

Sunset of Age
03-26-2011, 02:50 AM
If anything, I'd really appreciate the so-callled pundits to STOP mentioning Mr. Murray being #4 in the ATP rankings, and as such, being competitive against the Top Three. HUH???
He's NOT. Nowhere near. Nowhere even close! :help:

The true #4 is Mr. Söderling. Time to give this fellow the credits he truly deserves.

nalbyfan
03-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Can't choose between Muzzza and Tabasco...it's just too difficult !!

Johnny Groove
03-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Looks like Bogo is the GOAT, Nando is the choker, Murray is the mug for March 25, 2011.

born_on_clay
03-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Murray is an ultimate mug

Johnny Groove
03-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Plenty of mugs playing today, should be a very close contest today as well.

Fat Camel
03-26-2011, 03:59 PM
You can add clown of the day here.

Johnny Groove
03-26-2011, 04:00 PM
What would the difference be between mug and clown?

Fat Camel
03-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Clown sounds more expressive. He starts talking to umpires, crying, doing some stupid things etc.

Johnny Groove
03-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Hmmm, well perhaps I will only add clown of the day on a day when there is excessive mugging around.

Blackbriar
03-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Lu is clown of the day.

Fat Camel
03-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Nice effort by Monaco. He easily controlled the match, but serving for it at 6-4 5-4 choked. First candidate for the choke of the Day.

After that from 2-0 to 2-7 on the tb!! :haha:

Fat Camel
03-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Gabashvili doesn't want to lose to Monaco! He made three breaks, and immediately after this 3 times got owned on his serve! Reminds me of his last game with Brands :)

Johnny Groove
03-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Gulbis might get the Mug award if he loses to Berlocq.

Fat Camel
03-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Rainer just ruined an amazing choke by Simon. Gilles was 5-1, lost 2 serves for the set, but won 6-4..

Fat Camel
03-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Another ridiculous day!!
4 th candidate for the choke! Baghdatis was 5-1 in the second set, but lost two serves and now 5-4. We'll see what will happen next.

GSMnadal
03-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Gulbis putting in a strong showing, 6-1 to Berlocq :lol:

Johnny Groove
03-26-2011, 07:03 PM
When I started this thing I didn't expect there to be so many candidates :lol:

eduggs
03-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Anybody calling any world class player a mug is actually a mug themselves.
Ignorant, juvenile, idiocy to say such things.

eduggs
03-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Rainer just ruined an amazing choke by Simon. Gilles was 5-1, lost 2 serves for the set, but won 6-4..

Normal occurrence, not choke. One player breaks twice, then momentum switches and the other breaks twice. Fairly common thing. Just part of the typical ebb and flow of a match. If your long term service hold percentage is 80%, you will get broken twice in a row roughly every 2nd or 3rd match.

Mug posters obsessed with categorizing and explaining an inherently unpredictable sport by belittling world class players. Kind of pathetic.

Fat Camel
03-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Normal occurrence, not choke. One player breaks twice, then momentum switches and the other breaks twice. Fairly common thing. Just part of the typical ebb and flow of a match. If your long term service hold percentage is 80%, you will get broken twice in a row roughly every 2nd or 3rd match.

Mug posters obsessed with categorizing and explaining an inherently unpredictable sport by belittling world class players. Kind of pathetic.

I don't think that's fairly common thing. I don't see such things often.

eduggs
03-26-2011, 07:21 PM
I don't think that's fairly common thing. I don't see such things often. That's why you are on here responding to my post instead of out playing tennis yourself, or doing anything else useful. Mug.

Johnny Groove
03-26-2011, 07:21 PM

Its all in good fun, mate.

Fat Camel
03-26-2011, 07:22 PM
That's why you are on here responding to my post instead of out playing tennis yourself, or doing anything else useful. Mug.

I'm playing tennis for 10 years :)
And i know i'm a big mug in it.

oranges
03-26-2011, 07:24 PM
That's why you are on here responding to my post instead of out playing tennis yourself, or doing anything else useful. Mug.

I think it's safe to say he was talking about pros :lol: And no, getting broken twice is not a common or normal thing even on clay. It usually means you suck, you choked, you're a mug or all of the above.

Argenbrit
03-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Murray for mug. :rocker2:

eduggs
03-26-2011, 07:32 PM
What we're dealing with in tennis:
- Roughly half dozen points per game with slightly better than 50/50 chance for serving player in each.
- Racquet sweet spot apprx. 2.5" diameter circle.
- In vs. Out frequently decided by cm's or even mm's.
- Wind, sun, spectators, net-chords.
- Opponents doing everything possible to defeat you.

To lose several points, games, and sometimes even sets in a row is not always the result of terrible play, mugging, choking, or any other pejorative. Basic statistics says a scoreline should rarely proceed linearly. Tennis is a difficult and unpredictable sport. Mental and physical ability should be judged on a large sample size of matches. That's why the rankings are a better judge than MTF posters, regarding who the chokers are. Chokers are mostly ranked well outside the top 200.

At the Masters level we're dealing with technically, physically, and mentally strong players. Results are determined by who executes better throughout, especially in the big points, and sometimes who gets a little luckier.

eduggs
03-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Its all in good fun, mate.

No it's not. My kids read this shit and get a horrible attitude about the game and its players. People who coined and use the term are mugs. The players I watch on TV and at the venues are unbelievable.

Fat Camel
03-26-2011, 07:37 PM
At the Masters level we're dealing with mentally strong players.

This one is absolutely wrong.

When Hanescu is 5-3 to Bogomolov in the last set and then winning like 4 points in 4 games - Bogomolov is little luckier, you think? :)

eduggs
03-26-2011, 07:40 PM
I think it's safe to say he was talking about pros :lol: And no, getting broken twice is not a common or normal thing even on clay. It usually means you suck, you choked, you're a mug or all of the above.

That does not make any sense whatsoever. How can you be ranked as one of the best in the world at an internationally popular sport and suck?

The stats say most players at this level should get broken twice in a row roughly once every 3 matches.

eduggs
03-26-2011, 07:46 PM
This one is absolutely wrong.

When Hanescu is 5-3 to Bogomolov in the last set and then winning like 4 points in 4 games - Bogomolov is little luckier, you think? :)

You cannot compete at the highest levels of tennis without being very mentally tough. It's impossible. Individual examples cannot refute this fact. Everything can happen and does happen in tennis. Sure, luck matters. And pressure affects players to different degrees and in different moments. But if you lose your confidence or your mental toughness, you have no chance (think Safina)

Fat Camel
03-26-2011, 07:47 PM
When Gabashvili breaks Tsonga and own his own next serve 3 times of 3 puts wide almost all the balls - that's not because of his big mentality, i suppose.

Yes, at this level they are all technically, physically strong players, as you said. But mentally they can be worse than a 5 year old child. And that's nothing bad on saying that they choke.

oranges
03-26-2011, 07:52 PM
What we're dealing with in tennis:
- Roughly half dozen points per game with slightly better than 50/50 chance for serving player in each.
- Racquet sweet spot apprx. 2.5" diameter circle.
- In vs. Out frequently decided by cm's or even mm's.
- Wind, sun, spectators, net-chords.
- Opponents doing everything possible to defeat you.

To lose several points, games, and sometimes even sets in a row is not always the result of terrible play, mugging, choking, or any other pejorative. Basic statistics says a scoreline should rarely proceed linearly. Tennis is a difficult and unpredictable sport. Mental and physical ability should be judged on a large sample size of matches. That's why the rankings are a better judge than MTF posters, regarding who the chokers are. Chokers are mostly ranked well outside the top 200.

At the Masters level we're dealing with technically, physically, and mentally strong players. Results are determined by who executes better throughout, especially in the big points, and sometimes who gets a little luckier.

Ahem, concrete statistics say that the first 40 players on the list of held service games do it 80 percent of the time or more and the next 40 75% or more. So again, no it's not common at all to be broken twice in a set at all, let alone after you yourslef have made two breaks. Odds are in such a case, your level of play has significantly dropped, rather than your opponent suddenly playing god-like. While you're justified to complain about excessive lack of respect, many of the points you're making simply do not hold. That includes lack of chokers in top 20. Again MTF abuses choke as a term for anything and everything and it often does not even involve an advantage, but if Verdasco double faulting on BP/SP/MP isn't a definition of a choke, I don't know what is. It happened countless times. Many of my favorite players have choked numerous times, the fact that they've been to No1 or 2 in the world just means they don't choke all the time, not that they're choke-proof.

Johnny Groove
03-26-2011, 07:53 PM
No it's not. My kids read this shit and get a horrible attitude about the game and its players. People who coined and use the term are mugs. The players I watch on TV and at the venues are unbelievable.

Again, it is all in good fun. Tell your kids it isn't serious, we understand these guys are extremely talented, but we like to poke fun at them, all in jest.

dombrfc
03-26-2011, 07:58 PM
What a flippin stupid thread. Typical MTF though.

Johnny Groove
03-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Gulbis, Gulbis, Gulbis. Losing to Carlos Berlocq? I mean, I know he is The Legendary, but come on now.

What a flippin stupid thread. Typical MTF though.

Sigh, some simply do not have humor.

Jacques_Ukraine
03-26-2011, 08:41 PM
We see the greatest competion for the title of the funniest loss :) Leaders are Gulbis, Murray, Roddick, ...
It seems Roddick is the best :))

Johnny Groove
03-26-2011, 08:49 PM
So for today, we have the candidates:

GOAT

The Legendary Carlos Berlocq for his win over Gulbis
Olivier Rochus the Great for his victory over Baghdatis.
Colonel Misha Youzhny for his destruction of Lu.
General Pablo Cuevas for dispatching Roddick.

Choke

Baghdatis from losing to Rochus from up 3-1 in the third.
Gabashvili for surrendering break leads in all 3 sets to a hungover Tsonga.

Mug

Lu for getting just one game vs. Misha.
Gulbis losing to the legendary Carlos Berlocq.
Roddick losing to Cuevas trying to defend Miami.
Baghdatis for his entire work of art loss to GOAT Olivier Rochus.
Andreas Seppi for his muggish act of retiring just one game from the match vs. Dolgopolov.

And there is still Berdych-Ramirez-Hidalgo, Almugro-Gil, and Tipsy-Cilic.

Plenty more to possibly choose from.

oranges
03-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Gulbis will be the mug of the day :mad:

Roddick was sick if I'm not mistaken, so he should be out of competition IMO

Fat Camel
03-26-2011, 08:58 PM
I think you should add Gabashvili in choking.

Blackbriar
03-26-2011, 09:01 PM
add Pablito to the GOAT list, please :) Nishikori is going to shock the world tonight.

Johnny Groove
03-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Titlists of yesterday.

GOAT

The Legendary Carlos Berlocq for his win over Gulbis

Choke

Baghdatis from losing to O. Rochus from up 3-1 in the third

Mug

Gulbis losing to the legendary Carlos Berlocq

Now, for today, we have reigning GOAT of the Day BoGOATomolov Jr. vs. High Rise (thanks CD) John Isner.

No mugs or GOATS so far yet, Gasquet was a bit disappointing, but not too shocking, Somdev was ok vs. Pics.

Sunset of Age
03-28-2011, 12:24 AM
This thread is a total treasure. :worship:

Big question is... who's NEXT? :bounce:

DJ Soup
03-28-2011, 12:27 AM
I approve this topic. Should be done for every Masters and Grand Slam. It is fun.

We got the GOAT for today: DelPo

shiaben
03-28-2011, 12:33 AM
It's a plausible thread.

While you guys will go with performance for today.

Since I haven't seen too many matches today, I'm going to go with their faces.

I think if I had a glass mug, with mug written at the top, the glass mug would have Murray slapping his face with either the palm of his hand or tennis racket in disgust and disappointment :)

Sonja1989
03-28-2011, 12:34 AM
Goat for day are Granollers (for me) and Del Potro. :D :D :D

Fat Camel
04-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Blaz Kavcic vs Fabio Fognini not only for the choke of the day, but for choke of the year!

Everko
04-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Riba