Miami 1R: Stakhovsky def Dimitrov 6-2 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Miami 1R: Stakhovsky def Dimitrov 6-2 6-4

Jacques_Ukraine
03-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Good job, Sergiy!
Vamos!

Poirot123
03-24-2011, 08:08 PM
The 'dream' Federer V Dimitrov round 3 meeting is just that, a dream. Dimitrov crashes out in the first round to Stakhovsky, just after breaking back in the second set to give him hope.

theKSHE
03-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Still not sure about Dimitrov. He should have done better.

madmax
03-24-2011, 08:11 PM
The "Future" of tennis strikes again:bowdown:
Easy prey for Sergey

fran70
Good victory for Stakh :yeah:. Grigor fought back at 2-4 on the 2nd set but was broken again at 4-4. He needs to face more rivals like Stakh. Now he has to face the clay european tour.

Johnny Groove
Grigor Mugitrov.

Belludal
03-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Dimitrov is Top 100 but i think that will be need more time to he get the Top 50.

vn01
03-24-2011, 08:13 PM
I am very disappointed. I am not in the mood to talk about this match...

nadejda
03-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Grigor had no serve in the first set - only 30%? you can't win a match like that, too nervous perhaps

barbadosan
03-24-2011, 08:15 PM
I kept faith with Fed 1998-2003 and didn't stop believing. I've got a good while yet to go with Dimitrov, though I think overall I felt more optimistic then - though that may have been because I was younger then, and the younger you are, the more hopeful you are - lol

samanosuke
03-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Dimitrov still improving

Poirot123
03-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Stakhovsky moves up to 35 in the world. Level with Jaun Monaco. His 2nd round opponent. Getting a future tournament seeding is at stake in the next round for Stakhovsky and Monaco. Lets face it, neither of them are progressing beyond round 3 here. So the round 2 match is their final. Hope to see a great fight from both players.

YouKnowWho
03-24-2011, 08:21 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again (WARNING: THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY)

Grigor can have a great career, but he HAS to start playing on Tour constantly. Just being in that environment, playing against those guys, practicing with them etc.. I am sorry to say that and I am sure this will generate a lot of hate, but in my opinion his ranking now is a bit artificial, with very little amount of points from the tour and very large amount of points from challengers. I really hope he starts playing on Tour much more often and can get some wins and solidify his ranking that way.

jonathancrane
03-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Expected

Grigor can have a great career, but he HAS to start playing on Tour constantly. Just being in that environment, playing against those guys, practicing with them etc..

Agreed

abraxas21
03-24-2011, 08:24 PM
what an overrated mug this dimitrov :lol:

Sonja1989
03-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Well done Dimitrov!!! :worship: When do you win ATP match?

oranges
03-24-2011, 08:30 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again (WARNING: THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY)

Grigor can have a great career, but he HAS to start playing on Tour constantly. Just being in that environment, playing against those guys, practicing with them etc.. I am sorry to say that and I am sure this will generate a lot of hate, but in my opinion his ranking now is a bit artificial, with very little amount of points from the tour and very large amount of points from challengers. I really hope he starts playing on Tour much more often and can get some wins and solidify his ranking that way.

Whatever do you mean? It's not long he got the ranking enabling him direct entry to ATP level tournaments. Since, he's made some poor choices by playing too strong tournaments instead of easier US ones and one challenger to get back some confidence AFAIK. Grinding it out on challengers before that was the right choice.

Arkulari
03-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Raonic is the same age of this guy, right? six months of difference and look where one is and where the other is ;)

YouKnowWho
03-24-2011, 08:37 PM
I definitely don't mean it in an insulting way - he gained a bunch of points, it was obviously very good for him. What I meant though is that (again, my opinion only) someone ranked ~70 in the world is a Tour player primarily, who plays some challengers here and there, maybe to protect points or gain some, doesn't matter. Grigor can start doing just that now that he got his ranking high enough for entries to a lot of Tour events and that is very nice. But at this point, to me, he is primarily a challenger player who has not proven himself on Tour yet, therefore, to me, his ranking is a bit too high at the moment. Again, no insults meant, I root for Grigor myself.

LawrenceOfTennis
03-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Raonic is the same age of this guy, right? six months of difference and look where one is and where the other is ;)

Yes, they are around the same age, but remember, Raonic was 152 whatever in january, and Dimitrov already was 106, so a lot can change in another 6 months...I'd say after Wimbledon Dimitrov will crack top 50 or top 40 maybe.

shiaben
03-24-2011, 08:40 PM

I think Raonic has better work ethic, not sure.

The guy also has some nice volleys for a big man.

He'll need to hasten his footwork and I'm sure he can do that with time and effort.

From there he'll need to smooth out his rallies, and have that consistency that Del Potro had at the USO 2009, then he should be good to go and make some entertaining runs, even if he doesn't win a slam.

nadejda
03-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Yes, they are around the same age, but remember, Raonic was 152 whatever in january, and Dimitrov already was 106, so a lot can change in another 6 months...I'd say after Wimbledon Dimitrov will crack top 50 or top 40 maybe.

Why you say that? his goal is to crack top 50 - 40 till the end of the year?

and btw he said in an interview recently that he doesn't put himself in time frames no matter what others expect from him

Filo V.
03-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Um, Grigor has little experience at this level. Stakhovsky does have experience and is a very professional player who can be very good on his day. This isn't a bad loss and Grigor shouldn't be railed for it. Grigor didn't bring his best level to the table, especially with his serve and didn't get the job done, it happens.

LawrenceOfTennis
03-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Why you say that? his goal is to crack top 50 - 40 till the end of the year?

and btw he said in an interview recently that he doesn't put himself in time frames no matter what others expect from him

I say it, because in january I'd not predict him to be number 70 in march. His rising is faster than expected, even though mostly because of his challenger run.

Sonja1989
03-24-2011, 08:52 PM

Dimitrov would be top 20 player with Raonic's serve already.

Ad Wim
03-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Very well done Stako! Dimitrov is floating between ATP and challengers atm, too big for CH, too small for ATP.

oranges
03-24-2011, 08:58 PM

I'm pretty sure Dimitrov would find it easier to have a major breakthrough with that kind of serve too. Would you be wiling to bet Raonic will have overall a better career is a much better question. ;)

Blackbriar
03-24-2011, 09:00 PM
yet another Dimitrov Moment

ossie
03-24-2011, 09:01 PM
stakh is a much better player than dimugtrov, good result for tennis.

YouKnowWho
03-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Orange, I'd like to hear if you agree with my thoughts, or if you don't your arguments for the other side :) I am all about normal discussion which can lead to something new for both sides, instead of insulting each other, which sadly seems to be the main form of communication on MTF :(

nadejda
03-24-2011, 09:06 PM
actually, even though I am a fan of Grisho, I think is funny to bet now when do you think he will win an R1 ATP match this year :lol::lol::lol: and how many Challengers has to win beforehand :D

YouKnowWho
03-24-2011, 09:10 PM
I don't think it will take him long, as long as he keeps playing these tourneys.. He has the game, I think it is a matter of getting used to different speeds/styles, confidence and experience. If he plays a bunch of challengers and only a couple of Tour events, we might have to wait for a while :)

gindyo
03-24-2011, 09:21 PM
I don't think it will take him long, as long as he keeps playing these tourneys.. He has the game, I think it is a matter of getting used to different speeds/styles, confidence and experience. If he plays a bunch of challengers and only a couple of Tour events, we might have to wait for a while :)

You are right that he needs to play more ATP events but don't forget that only 3 short months ago he was out of top 100. He didn't even have the ranking to make the main draw of a 128 player tournaments like IW. Give him some time. He will start playing only ATP events pretty soon. Especially in the summer when all big tournaments are in Europe and there wont be so much traveling involved.

gindyo
03-24-2011, 09:27 PM
in the last couple of months the tournaments were spread all over the place. I dont know how much that is an issue for him but imagine the cost involved in all that traveling, this puts extra pressure to win matches because if he doesn't win and drops in the first round someone has to pay the bill. And as far as I know his daddy isn't that well to do

nadejda
03-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Dimitrov pull out the Colombian CH just right after his lost today. Don't know why? injury? :confused:

gindyo
03-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Dimitrov pull out the Colombian CH just right after his lost today. Don't know why? injury? :confused:

Probably he read our discussion and said - that's it, NO MORE CHALLENGERS ;)

nadejda
03-24-2011, 10:00 PM
hope you are right and he is not injured :sad:

gindyo
03-24-2011, 10:02 PM
I am 100% not right, but same here hoping he is OK

GlennMirnyi
03-24-2011, 10:07 PM

How?

He'll need huge results for that.

gindyo
03-24-2011, 10:13 PM
How?

He'll need huge results for that.

Not that huge.
To crack top 50 he needs ~ 250 pts and he has almost no points to defend until after Wimledon. 250 points are roughly 3 challenger titles

AncicCilic
03-24-2011, 10:30 PM
I think that atm Dimitrov gets too much pampering from the media and fans, everyone is hyped up and expect big things of him and that's affecting his game. That might have got to his mind and he is thinking he is good enough to compete with the top guys and he's not.

If i was him i'd go play atp 250 and 500 tournaments for a while (plenty of choices coming up in april), get few wins and some points, gather confidence and experience.

You never know with these youngsters when they get a breakthrough, can be with 18 or with 22 or even never.

Jacques_Ukraine
03-24-2011, 10:49 PM
@alvarorama Álvaro Rama on Twitter
Dimitrov has passed all 4 of his qualifying draws so far this season... to lose all 4 of his openers.

PiggyGotRoasted
03-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Score would have been reversed in a challanger sf

hotdog
03-24-2011, 11:09 PM
That's not true about Dimitrov...he won his first round in Australia.

oranges
03-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Orange, I'd like to hear if you agree with my thoughts, or if you don't your arguments for the other side :) I am all about normal discussion which can lead to something new for both sides, instead of insulting each other, which sadly seems to be the main form of communication on MTF :(

I agree that it's time to play ATP events, I'm just pointing out that previously his options were qualies for ATP events or challengers. I think he was right to play challengers until he got a few wins there. Should have opted for US swing after that, though, not tough 500 tournies where he got routed early on. US tournies were perfect for transition to ATP level IMO.

Jacques_Ukraine
03-24-2011, 11:30 PM
That's not true about Dimitrov...he won his first round in Australia.

You are right, Dimitrov lost in the second round in AO this year

fast_clay
03-24-2011, 11:57 PM
no surprise here... young pretender gets shown the ropes by a battle hardened pro... happens plenty..

Topspindoctor
03-25-2011, 01:18 AM
Dimitrov needs to stop trying to copy Olderer's playstyle and develop his own. His footwork isn't good enough to play Olderer's game.

v-money
03-25-2011, 01:31 AM
These early round exits are pretty disappointing but with the exception of Marseilles he had to qualify to get into the main draw of all of these tournaments, which has to be to be tiring. Wonder why he isn't getting more wildcards. This is actually a tough draw even though many people were expecting more, Stakhovsky is a very crafty and experienced player. Nevertheless, the predictions that some people made for Dimitrov to finish top 20 this year are looking completely baseless (as expected). He's shown very little early on.

Mjau!
03-25-2011, 01:50 AM
How old is Dimi now???

nadejda
03-25-2011, 07:12 AM
19 years and 10 months

mrclyde
03-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Grrrr, he is always doing these meltdowns in 1st rounds. Simon - 2 times..., Gasquet, Tursunov - only for 2 pts in TB. Last year I was scared that he'll never stop playing futures and in challengers he'll never progress. In qualies here he made very good start and now what... Ofcourse his points are more from challengers. That's why last year he made early exits at 2 challengers playing with Ram and Bozolijac. I won't watch him for couple of months. Del Potro at 18 was moving around 60 position and got crushed in first rounds many times. BTW Federer was doing this thing too in 1999. But actually how he found his game back then and stopped playing like Sampras?

Pirao666
03-25-2011, 05:03 PM
LMAO... yeah Dimitrov will sure be top 20 at the end of the year :haha: