Rusty has foot surgery [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rusty has foot surgery

tennisfan856
03-23-2011, 11:39 PM
Lleyton Hewitt is targeting a return to action in time for the French Open after undergoing surgery on his foot.

The former world No. 1, who lost to Yen-Hsun Lu in the opening round of the BNP Paribas Open last week, had the operation at the weekend.

It is the latest setback in a series of injury troubles for the 30-year-old, who has slipped to No. 64 in the world rankings.

Hewitt had surgery on both hips last year, and his form has also come under scrutiny, having crashed out of the Australian Open in the first round.

Hewitt could be out of action for over a month, but is expecting to be fully fit in time for the second grand slam of the year at Roland Garros at the end of May.

"My foot has been troubling me for some time and I needed the surgery to enable me to compete at my best with the two grand slams coming up soon," Hewitt said.

http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/81267.html

tennisfan856
03-23-2011, 11:40 PM
Normally, the forums joke about suggesting players retire (even the 18 year old mugs) but I seriously think this guy should give it up. The reputation has been deluded a good 4,5 years now.

ssin
03-23-2011, 11:44 PM
he never gives up! :D :worship:

Sonja1989
03-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Oh, why??? :bigcry: :hug:

Johnny Groove
03-24-2011, 12:37 AM
I dunno, Lleyton. You've been on the tour for the better part of a decade and a half, man.

You've had every lower body injury there is. You're 30 and #64 in the world, not bad at all.

But come on, dude. You've got your FIIIINE ass wife at home down in Australia, 3 kids, is it really all worth it?

Hewitt =Legend
03-24-2011, 12:55 AM
I dunno, Lleyton. You've been on the tour for the better part of a decade and a half, man.

You've had every lower body injury there is. You're 30 and #64 in the world, not bad at all.

But come on, dude. You've got your FIIIINE ass wife at home down in Australia, 3 kids, is it really all worth it?

To him, yes it is worth it. And that's why we love him..

He'll never get the chance to live this part of his life again, better make the most of it while you still can.

His comeback will prob be the same as last year, gain some matches during the latter part of the clay season and try and hit some form for the grass.

barbadosan
03-24-2011, 01:18 AM
Just goes to show that perhaps we only think we understand how much these guys love the game and their work. I know the question of physical fitness comes into play, but look at the number of people who don't run off at 50 even if they can afford to retire, just because they love what they do

coonster14
03-24-2011, 01:52 AM
As long as Rusty is still passionate about the game (which he obviously still is), I say let him compete for as long as he wants.

All the best Lleyton, hope he gets a nice draw at Wimbledon and makes one last deep run. :)

tennisgolfguru
03-24-2011, 02:32 AM
Although his legacy may be dubious to begin with, to be fair we can say he was a fighter and did well for a few years during a weak time in the mens game and bagged a couple slams in a less than competitive era - he is now reaching the point where he is truly embarassing himself - all these years of failure only show how bad a player he always was compared to the top guys and how weak his short era was when he was winning. I mean this is a guy who only won in his teens and very early 20's, which proves the weak era point.

For whatever repuation he did have he now is truly embarassing himself - he needs to retire or else he will be remembered only for being a horribly mediocre player.

paseo
03-24-2011, 03:39 AM
Although his legacy may be dubious to begin with, to be fair we can say he was a fighter and did well for a few years during a weak time in the mens game and bagged a couple slams in a less than competitive era - he is now reaching the point where he is truly embarassing himself - all these years of failure only show how bad a player he always was compared to the top guys and how weak his short era was when he was winning. I mean this is a guy who only won in his teens and very early 20's, which proves the weak era point.

For whatever repuation he did have he now is truly embarassing himself - he needs to retire or else he will be remembered only for being a horribly mediocre player.

Outside the top 3, every active player today can only dream to have Hewitt's achievements.

Xristos
03-24-2011, 04:09 AM
Dude needs to hang it up.

Dmitry Verdasco
03-24-2011, 05:27 AM
I don't even like him, but I really hope he can atleast compete healthily at London 2012. It's obvious that's all he's sticking around for, and Davis Cup.

FlameOn
03-24-2011, 06:11 AM
Dude needs to hang it up.
I think so too. I remember when he got back in top 20 in '09 briefly, but that seems like a lifetime ago now. :o

Ad Wim
03-24-2011, 07:03 AM
Damn, not an injury again!

tennisgolfguru
03-24-2011, 07:46 AM
Outside the top 3, every active player today can only dream to have Hewitt's achievements.

Oh please - Hewitt at his very very best would not even be top 10 today.

abraxas21
03-24-2011, 07:56 AM
people forget that hewitt used to be number 1

people forget that a rusty version of hewitt beat federer on grass last year.

abraxas21
03-24-2011, 07:57 AM

maybe you should change your username to just 'golfguru'.

assuming you actually know something about golf, that is.

hyperren
03-24-2011, 08:04 AM
I don't even like him, but I really hope he can atleast compete healthily at London 2012. It's obvious that's all he's sticking around for, and Davis Cup.

That sounds about right...

rocketassist
03-24-2011, 10:24 AM

Wrong.

Nole Rules
03-24-2011, 10:27 AM

:bs:

JuliC
03-24-2011, 10:43 AM

YouTube some of his matches back in 2001/2002, cause you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

timafi
03-24-2011, 11:57 AM
he can't retire fast enough for me and that"win" over Federer was nothing but a fluke

Orka_n
03-24-2011, 12:18 PM

But come on, dude. You've got your FIIIINE ass wife at home down in Australia, 3 kids, is it really all worth it?I agree.

StevoTG
03-24-2011, 01:01 PM
When Hewitt's fit he can play some great tennis, despite not having the speed he once possesed. The big problem is, he only seems to be fit a few weeks out of the year these days.

All of his injuries since 05 seem to have come on hardcourts. He's far too stubborn to do it but I think he should avoid hardcourt events like the plague and play court events if the option is there. He'd do well enough on clay to keep his ranking up and would hopefully be fit for the big summer on grass in 2012.

I'd love to see him play the South American clay court swing next year, but if he's fit enough he'll probably turn up to San Jose and Memphis again where he can torture his joints on the hardcourts.

Sonja1989
03-24-2011, 01:43 PM
people forget that hewitt used to be number 1

people forget that a rusty version of hewitt beat federer on grass last year.

This.

If Hewitt would be healthy all year he should make good results again.

nalbyfan
03-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Don't forget he's 31 and already had 2 hip surgeries...moreover, he has 3 children, it's not easy to stay focused on tennis after that