What is your most memorable runner-up speech ever? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What is your most memorable runner-up speech ever?

kaychae
03-22-2011, 05:03 AM
I think in some ways runner-up players' speeches are more memorable sometimes,
for winners usually says all the right things and not much special.

But runner-ups usually have a lot of frustration if not sadness,
and sometimes it shows up in their speech.

I think it's cruel in a way that you make runner-up player remain on the court for the ceremony.

Being Roddick fan, for me Wimbledon '09 speech he did after the lose to Federer sticks out the most.
But Murray's AO '10 speech - "It's shame I can cry like Roger but can't play like Roger' made even me feel little melancholy.

So which is your most memorable runner-up speech, and why?

abraxas21
03-22-2011, 05:14 AM
in b4 the inevitable pic of olderer crying posted by some idiotic rafatard

NadalYoung
03-22-2011, 05:47 AM
in b4 the inevitable pic of olderer crying posted by some idiotic rafatard
http://img.skysports.com/09/02/800x600/Australian-Open-Day-14-Roger-Federer-cries_1857759.jpg

No but actually I think that Federer 2008 Wimbledon was a very good speech. He was calm cool and collected despite what just happened. He dealt with it great and ended with I'll be back next year, and he followed his word

finishingmove
03-22-2011, 06:18 AM
No but actually I think that Federer 2008 Wimbledon was a very good speech. He was calm cool and collected despite what just happened. He dealt with it great and ended with I'll be back next year, and he followed his word

"I mean, I couldn't see shit, but okay..."

tribalfusion
03-22-2011, 06:27 AM
http://img.skysports.com/09/02/800x600/Australian-Open-Day-14-Roger-Federer-cries_1857759.jpg

Funny post/photo on cue...

For me, especially Roddick in 2009 was poignant. Probably his last shot and he gave it all he had.

fast_clay
03-22-2011, 07:11 AM
:lol: @ fed crying

Renaud
03-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Leconte RG 88 of course.
To the crowd: *I hope you understood my game*

Pirata.
03-22-2011, 08:47 AM
ended with I'll be back next year, and he followed his word

I mean, it's a required event for the top players, of course he was going to follow his word and come back next year :lol:

Or Levy
03-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Roger's runner up speech at RG 08 was good. "Oui c'est moi". Made the crowd laugh a bit, which was good.

AO 09 is most memorable, I think, as a runner up speech. I don't know if it was good, but most touching, for sure.

Blackbriar
03-22-2011, 10:12 AM
When Fed beats Nadal for the last time at Wimbly 07 he said "i'm happy to win this one before you take everything!" it was a bad omen for him.

Nadull_tard
03-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Nadal's RG 2010 speech. His French was flawless.

delpiero7
03-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Roddick 2009 at Wimbledon was pretty good, although the precious Fedtards took his comments as some kind of attack on Federer.

Nadal's RG 2010 speech. His French was flawless.

Nadal wasn't runner up at RG 2010, therefore he didn't make a runners up speech.

Forehander
03-22-2011, 01:56 PM
lol gotta give it to Federer crying eh? :D

Machiavelli
03-22-2011, 02:06 PM
There was tennis before Federer and Nadal....

Rafter in 2001' when he lsot to Goran, great guy, great speech....

JayR
03-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Maybe not one for the ages. But,Fernando Gonzalez at the Australian Open in 2007. Very nice speech for a first time runner-up with an utterly charming ending:

"I have lots to feel but nothing else to say.":smooch:

Silver.
03-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Roddick AO 2009.

Heartbreaking yet hilarious.

Silver.
03-22-2011, 04:02 PM

There are those of us who only began watching during the dominance of Federer ;)

DanaKz
03-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Soderling's yoking was great :)

Elbarto
03-22-2011, 04:12 PM
So which is your most memorable runner-up speech, and why?

Henri Leconte, final at Roland Garros 1988 where he lost against Wilander,

he tried to explain that his game ( serve-volley ) was difficult and risky against a player like Wilander, especially on clay court, but the crowd was so disapointed by the defeat of Leconte that they didn't accept his speech and they booed him, very embarassing situation for Leconte

Fujee
03-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Ernest Renshaw 1889 Wimbledon loss to his brother William, "Tally Ho eh Chap, Stiff upper lip n all that, il be back next bloody year eh, you rotten git"

vn01
03-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Olderer's at AO 2009 was the funniest I've ever listened :haha:

Pirata.
03-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Soderling's yoking was great :)

Yeah, that was hilarious :lol:

tyruk14
03-22-2011, 09:33 PM
I have yet to finish runner-up in a tennis tournament.

MIMIC
03-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Fed's AO 2009 speech :haha:

Henry Chinaski
03-22-2011, 10:02 PM
none. in the literal sense. I don't remember any of them

Shirogane
03-23-2011, 12:45 AM
Leconte RG 88 of course.
:worship:

Agassi in 2005 was pretty good too.

Nole fan
03-23-2011, 12:54 AM
God, this is killing me...

http://towleroad.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/02/02/federeer_nadal.jpg

Ok, before you jump to the wrong conclusions. I'm not dissing Federer here. Unlike many of his haters and fans taking the piss out of him for crying in that AO final, I actually LIKED Roger in that moment and empathized with him. Because he showed his emotions and it was real, and that moved me more than anything else he has done. He was finally human, the all-too-perfect champion had realized that he was not invincible, that he couldn't win everything and that he might had found his nemesis after all. It was a beautiful moment to watch but it was also akward.

Action Jackson
03-23-2011, 01:05 AM

Brilliant speech and great atmosphere.

Leconte RG 88 of course.

Poor guy, Wilander hardly missed anything this day.

Fee
03-23-2011, 03:24 AM
I'll break the MTF rule, and mention a WTA player since the thread didn't demand only ATP tournaments. Elena Dementieva's speech after she lost the USO final to Sveta was touching. It was right after the terrorist attack on the school in Russia, and she was so raw, so emotional. I can't even remember exactly what she said, I just remember staring at her on my TV screen, kind of shocked that she put it all out there like. I think she kind of suprised herself too.

Macbrother
03-23-2011, 03:55 AM
McEnroe '84 French Open, when he just walked off the court after 20 seconds into Lendl's speech.

Corey Feldman
03-23-2011, 04:03 AM
Roddick 2009 Wimbledon speech

i dont even remember what he said, but somehow i was laughing

wee
03-23-2011, 04:17 AM
When Fed beats Nadal for the last time at Wimbly 07 he said "i'm happy to win this one before you take everything!" it was a bad omen for him.

Arkulari
03-23-2011, 04:38 AM
Rafter in Wimbledon 2001 :bigcry:

FlameOn
03-23-2011, 04:50 AM
Federer @ '09 AO.

"Oh God, it's killing me". :lol::awww:

Sunset of Age
03-23-2011, 05:01 AM
Federer @ '09 AO.

"Oh God, it's killing me". :lol::awww:

That's my fav runnner-up speech too, but I guess, for quite different reasons?

It was embarrassing, yes (as did Roger himself admit later on as well).
Apart from Roger's understandable distress, it showed me even more what a genuine lovely guy Rafa indeed is, trying to comfort Roger in his absolute dispair, there, hugging him. I will never forget that. GREAT! :hearts:

To all who claimed Roger cried 'on purpose' to steal the lime-light, I have merely one message: GROW UP you fools, and try to understand what kind of an ordeal Feds went through there. Rafa understood it very well indeed, one more reason to love him like I do. ;)

FlameOn
03-23-2011, 11:27 AM
That's my fav runnner-up speech too, but I guess, for quite different reasons?

It was embarrassing, yes (as did Roger himself admit later on as well).
Apart from Roger's understandable distress, it showed me even more what a genuine lovely guy Rafa indeed is, trying to comfort Roger in his absolute dispair, there, hugging him. I will never forget that. GREAT! :hearts:

To all who claimed Roger cried 'on purpose' to steal the lime-light, I have merely one message: GROW UP you fools, and try to understand what kind of an ordeal Feds went through there. Rafa understood it very well indeed, one more reason to love him like I do. ;)
Yes, Rafa was all class. :hearts:

ApproachShot
03-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Sadly I didn't watch Leconte's 1988 RG final, but I thought Rafter's 2001 Wimbledon speech was great, given the circumstances.

Roddick's Wimbledon runner up speeches have been fantastic. 2009 was very memorable and the British nation (who I don't think I would be unfair to say support Federer as much as they support Murray) was firmly behind him. But my favourite has to be Roddick's 2005 runner up speech, which contains gems such as:
"I'm more in the mood for a beer than a chat right now"
"Maybe I'll just punch him or something."

AO 2009 was an emotional one for sure but I think people interpret Fed's breakdown in the wrong way. It wasn't that he tried to take the limelight away from Rafa's great victory. It was more of an outpouring of emotion that really showed how much tennis meant to him even after achieving so much. I mean, it's not like he hadn't cried at the trophy ceremony before...I'm sure most can recall how he broke down in tears during his post Wimbledon 2001 interview with Sue Barker and again when he received the AO 2006 trophy from Rod Laver. Plus, Rafa's sympathy for Roger was genuine and a defining moment in their 'friendly' rivalry.

At FO 2009 I'm sure we all had a "yoke" along with Soderling, but what impressed me is the maturity and clarity with which he delivered his speech. Prior to that Soderling wasn't the most liked player on the tour, and that's an understatement. But that runner up speech he made won me over.

Nole fan
03-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Sadly I didn't watch Leconte's 1988 RG final, but I thought Rafter's 2001 Wimbledon speech was great, given the circumstances.

Roddick's Wimbledon runner up speeches have been fantastic. 2009 was very memorable and the British nation (who I don't think I would be unfair to say support Federer as much as they support Murray) was firmly behind him. But my favourite has to be Roddick's 2005 runner up speech, which contains gems such as:
"I'm more in the mood for a beer than a chat right now"
"Maybe I'll just punch him or something."

AO 2009 was an emotional one for sure but I think people interpret Fed's breakdown in the wrong way. It wasn't that he tried to take the limelight away from Rafa's great victory. It was more of an outpouring of emotion that really showed how much tennis meant to him even after achieving so much. I mean, it's not like he hadn't cried at the trophy ceremony before...I'm sure most can recall how he broke down in tears during his post Wimbledon 2001 interview with Sue Barker and again when he received the AO 2006 trophy from Rod Laver. Plus, Rafa's sympathy for Roger was genuine and a defining moment in their 'friendly' rivalry.

At FO 2009 I'm sure we all had a "yoke" along with Soderling, but what impressed me is the maturity and clarity with which he delivered his speech. Prior to that Soderling wasn't the most liked player on the tour, and that's an understatement. But that runner up speech he made won me over.

+1.

You're one of the most intelligent and fair posters here. :yeah:

Blackbriar
03-23-2011, 01:52 PM
"This is the worst day of my life. My entire world falls apart. To tell the truth, i'm not even sure i will continue my career after this day. I'm both shocked and horrified. But I'm must congratulate Janko for his victory."

Shirogane
03-23-2011, 02:37 PM
McEnroe '84 French Open, when he just walked off the court after 20 seconds into Lendl's speech.

:sobbing: I wish I'd seen that one.

Nole fan
03-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Macbrother

Video?

Fujee
03-23-2011, 04:28 PM
God, this is killing me...

http://towleroad.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/02/02/federeer_nadal.jpg

Ok, before you jump to the wrong conclusions. I'm not dissing Federer here. Unlike many of his haters and fans taking the piss out of him for crying in that AO final, I actually LIKED Roger in that moment and empathized with him. Because he showed his emotions and it was real, and that moved me more than anything else he has done. He was finally human, the all-too-perfect champion had realized that he was not invincible, that he couldn't win everything and that he might had found his nemesis after all. It was a beautiful moment to watch but it was also akward.

There is also the fact that Fed played better overall than rafa the entire match and somehow messed it up on the big points. I agree though, quite raw and touching yet also awkward.

Nole fan
03-23-2011, 05:38 PM
There is also the fact that Fed played better overall than rafa the entire match and somehow messed it up on the big points. I agree though, quite raw and touching yet also awkward.

Also it was the first time that Rafa defeated him on a hard court slam, where no doubt Federer feels the superior player. That and the Wimbledon defeat still lingering on him. It was too much to take. All this together caused this very emotional turmoil he was in.

electronicmusic
03-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Also it was the first time that Rafa defeated him on a hard court slam, where no doubt Federer feels the superior player. That and the Wimbledon defeat still lingering on him. It was too much to take. All this together caused this very emotional turmoil he was in.

Until today? I don't think so.

AO & FO 2009

Nole fan
03-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Until today? I don't think so.

AO & FO 2009

I didn't mean until today, but at that exact time.

FlameOn
03-23-2011, 09:30 PM
I must admit when it came to AO '09 I'm part of the 'harden up' camp. Even the women don't cry during runner-up speeches (since Novotna sometime in the 90s). :lol:

Corey Feldman
03-23-2011, 09:38 PM
I must admit when it came to AO '09 I'm part of the 'harden up' camp. Even the women don't cry during runner-up speeches (since Novotna sometime in the 90s). :lol:no they just cry and sack coaches in the middle of a set when they miss a FH

or Djokovic who walks off court screaming like a baby when Nadal beat him in Olympics