Can We Conclude That It Wasn't The Racquet? (Re. Novak Djokovic) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Can We Conclude That It Wasn't The Racquet? (Re. Novak Djokovic)

Certinfy
03-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Everyone was making such a big deal when he changed from Wilson to Head but the fact is he was playing like utter shit in his last few months with that Wilson racquet yet people still said the Head racquet was a cause of his horrible results and performances.

However after his start to this year can we say it wasn't actually the racquet switch that ruined his game for a while?

zcess81
03-21-2011, 08:08 PM
I don't know, maybe it was a factor, maybe it wasn't, but for me the MAJOR factor was that his serve went AWOL for over a year. He really had to work EVERY point! I remember thinking back than "can you imagine how good he'll be if/when he gets his serve back?"

TeamID
03-21-2011, 08:15 PM
He switched back to his old racquet mold around Wimbledon last year

colombiantennis
03-21-2011, 08:40 PM
I think that it was a factor but now that he is used to the new racket he's actually playing better.

Branimir
03-22-2011, 04:33 AM
Man... These days you can clone a freaking person, and you're telling me that Head didn't have the technology to make him the same racquet as Wilson. If the argument is that it was all mental, I can't argue back.

Pirata.
03-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Changing a racquet can really fuck with a player's game. Look at Verdasco. Other than getting completely thrashed by Berdych at IW, he played well with his Tecnifibre racquet until he officially made the switch to Dunlop at the end of clay season. His game has been horrendous ever since.

fast_clay
03-22-2011, 09:21 AM
yep... it can really screw with everything to do with your swing timing... no matter how repeatable your game has been grooved to be, it'll still throw it off... hell... i've even had three exact same racquets from the same manufacturer have noticable differences that needed correcting, so it's not hard to believe that even despite his new manufacturer trying its best to match the grip shape, balance, weight and swingweight there are too many variables in there that can cause problems... imo anyways...

there are those that said he never changed racquets to begin with, that it was always the original wilson racquet simply stencilled - that would be believable for me, totally believable, if key parts of his game did not go walkabout...