Djokovic: 'For me Rafael Nadal is the greatest player ever' [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Djokovic: 'For me Rafael Nadal is the greatest player ever'

Pages : [1] 2

abraxas21
03-21-2011, 05:41 AM
Always knew he was a Nadal fanboy. No surprises there.

orangehat
03-21-2011, 05:41 AM
:spit:

oranges
03-21-2011, 05:53 AM
Good that you provided the source there

abraxas21
03-21-2011, 05:58 AM
Good that you provided the source there

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%27For+me+Rafael+Nadal+is+the+greatest+player+e ver%27

Kat_YYZ
03-21-2011, 06:03 AM
Everyone's entitled to an opinon ;)

helvet empire
03-21-2011, 06:05 AM
well he's nadal's bitc,h , so if nadal waeren't the best player of all time, what would he look like?

GlennMirnyi
03-21-2011, 06:11 AM
The way he gifted the USO to Nadull, this was obvious. He just couldn't deny the title to his idol.

TMJordan
03-21-2011, 06:12 AM
What a moron.

LaFuria
03-21-2011, 06:15 AM
I wonder if Djokovic has a MTF account.

Farenhajt
03-21-2011, 06:29 AM
So? He can tell tennis players from soon-to-be-retired ballerinas.

MIMIC
03-21-2011, 06:35 AM

The first link directs to this thread.

Anyway, I don't see what the big deal is. He beat his supposed "idol" in a final so at least he doesn't "bend over" for him like people suggest that others do for Nadal.

And I don't think he "gifted" the U.S. Open for Nadal; I think that Djokovic didn't play to "win", while Nadal did. Overcoming Federer in the semis was already a major milestone for him. I think that Djoker wanted THAT win more than the one against Nadal.

EDIT: Here's a link to a video of the trophy ceremony: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00-7Y2RDYtQ

abraxas21
03-21-2011, 06:38 AM
The first link directs to this thread.

uhmm, no. the first link directs to a BBC article.

tnosugar
03-21-2011, 06:39 AM
if you take this figuratively, he meant his was his favorite person on the circuit. "For me" vs. "is the best player" which he has said for Federer countless times. It's a bit romantic, actually :D

careergrandslam
03-21-2011, 06:40 AM
olderer and oldal are both mugs.

both washed up hasbeens.

disgusting watching them play, both error machines and mental midgets.

oldal is beyond help on hardcourts, i doubt he will ever win another hardcourt title.

iriraz
03-21-2011, 06:40 AM
I think after the semis he said that Federer is the greatest ever.

GlennMirnyi
03-21-2011, 06:41 AM
uhmm, no. the first link directs to a BBC article.

Actually it does take you to this thread.

abraxas21
03-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Actually it does take you to this thread.

it does and it's only natural that it does. but the first link that shows up un the google search is a BBC article. that's what i get anyway.

tektonac
03-21-2011, 06:48 AM

yes, thats the pattern i've observed. he tells him he is the greatest and than he dismisses him.

GSMnadal
03-21-2011, 06:51 AM
Djokovic and Murray will say Nadal if you ask them, Nadal will say Federer if you ask him, and Federer will say Federer... and this kind of shows the hierarchy at the top.

oranges
03-21-2011, 06:52 AM

That greatly adds to your credibility, thanks :worship:

shuhrat
03-21-2011, 06:54 AM
Many fans and critics usually say Federer is the best ever and he knows why they call him GOAT and appreciates his achievement. But "for him" (very much subjective) Nadal is the best, because "all things he's accomplished by age 24." (http://twitter.com/#!/TennisReporters/status/49633467918598144)

Anyway, for you haters, Novak is nothing but a boring and mediocre player, then why bother with what he says about your hero? It's meaningless and doesn't change anything. :shrug: Just don't give a shit.

A couple of days ago, Gasquet said "for him" Nole is the better returner. Yes, it's just his own opinion. You don't need to agree with him and you didn't rightfully. It's the same. Nole never said others had to agree with him.

tektonac
03-21-2011, 06:56 AM
it does and it's only natural that it does. but the first link that shows up un the google search is a BBC article. that's what i get anyway.

you should switch your computer on first. BBC is fine, it just means "Born Before Computers".

abraxas21
03-21-2011, 06:59 AM
you should switch your computer on first. BBC is fine, it just means "Born Before Computers".

does that even make sense?

Allez
03-21-2011, 06:59 AM

both washed up hasbeens.

oldal is beyond help on hardcourts, i doubt he will ever win another hardcourt title.

Olderer and Oldal :haha: :haha: :haha:

Support tennis and not its personalities and you won't be so angry when Oldal loses :lol:

Allez
03-21-2011, 07:02 AM
"I want to congratulate Rafa on a great tournament," Djokovic said afterwards. "He had to lose but he has started off the year very well.

"It's always a pleasure to play you. For me, you are the greatest player ever and a good friend so I wish you good luck."

What about Murray :shrug:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9430894.stm

shuhrat
03-21-2011, 07:08 AM
"I want to congratulate Rafa on a great tournament," Djokovic said afterwards. "He had to lose but he has started off the year very well.

"It's always a pleasure to play you. For me, you are the greatest player ever and a good friend so I wish you good luck."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9430894.stm
:lol: For him, Andy may not be the greatest player yet. Anyway Nole didn't say Rafa is his best friend. :hysteric:

finishingmove
03-21-2011, 07:09 AM
oh God :haha:

Lee
03-21-2011, 07:11 AM
:lol: For him, Andy may not be the greatest player yet. Anyway Nole didn't say Rafa is his best friend. :hysteric:

Nole's best friends are Ana Ivanovic and Caroline Wozniacki. ;)

finishingmove
03-21-2011, 07:17 AM

Murray also thinks Rafa is the best ever.

Seems to be the consensus.

samanosuke
03-21-2011, 07:26 AM
no doubt in this one . zero loses saying all

Pirata.
03-21-2011, 07:36 AM

Mug generation, this. No respect for Federer, let alone the former greats like Laver, Borg and Sampras. Maybe Nole meant to say "For me, you are the greatest player ever on clay." and even then he's probably still tied or just barely below Borg.

Myrre
03-21-2011, 07:52 AM
No surprise here. Never been any love lost between Federer and Djokovic.

Certinfy
03-21-2011, 08:31 AM
:worship:

rocketassist
03-21-2011, 08:34 AM

Mug generation, this. No respect for Federer, let alone the former greats like Laver, Borg and Sampras. Maybe Nole meant to say "For me, you are the greatest player ever on clay." and even then he's probably still tied or just barely below Borg.

This.

Fed, Borg, Sampras and Laver are the kings of tennis.

Orka_n
03-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Novak is always overly polite to his opponents, especially when he wins. :shrug: Nothing to see here.

Vida
03-21-2011, 08:45 AM
this was a dig at federer, no doubt.

Nadull_tard
03-21-2011, 08:52 AM
Djokovic finally revealed himself as a Nadaltard, hardly shocking, 8-16 must have a reason.

samanosuke
03-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Who would take seriously an opinion from a guy who when is loosing his own supporters sending in mother's place and after giving a credits to him . Even commentator on Serbian Sportklub said that this behavior isn't OK .

btw I really like this commentator which was commentating yesterday's match . Guy really making good points and always is realistic . Much better than other guys who commentating for Croatian or Serbian versions of Sportklub

Raiden
03-21-2011, 08:57 AM
How many times have I heard him say Fed is the greatest in history?

There are three possibilities here:

1) He was lying in the past
2) He is lying now
3) Most likely it's just a Djokovic platitude formula that he thinks belongs in such ceremonial speeches (if he tomorrow bumped into Laver he would tell the Aussie that he's the greatest one).

samanosuke
03-21-2011, 09:01 AM

[/INDENT]

about this I am talking . nole speaking like wind is blowing

Nole Rules
03-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Novak is always overly polite to his opponents, especially when he wins. :shrug: Nothing to see here.

Pretty much this. Fed is the greatest and everyone knows that.:shrug:

Just like heaven
03-21-2011, 09:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNYWhJfcszs&feature=channel_video_title

finishingmove
03-21-2011, 09:20 AM

:yeah:

mindgames

abraxas21
03-21-2011, 09:34 AM

ive heard djoko saying highly complimentary stuff about federer but never to the extreme of calling him the best ever. then again, my memory is fragile so i'd apprecciate if you or others could provide some quotes about those statements about federer.

btw, apparently del potro is also a bit of a nadal fanboy. when he lost in the SF, he told Nadal at the net: 'win the tournament'.

Chiseller
03-21-2011, 09:37 AM
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Time Violation
03-21-2011, 09:49 AM
This.

Fed, Borg, Sampras and Laver are the kings of tennis.

Who cares really, Nole isn't a professor at a university/department of tennis or anything like that, if he likes Nadal more than Laver, it's his business. :)

abraxas21
03-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Who cares really, Nole isn't a professor at a university/department of tennis or anything like that, if he likes Nadal more than Laver, it's his business. :)

it's not a matter of liking or not liking a player over the other, it's a matter of being a clown or not being one.

ssin
03-21-2011, 09:52 AM
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

:lol: great site

Sonja1989
03-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Nah Djokovic!!! :yeah: :worship:

ossie
03-21-2011, 10:15 AM
in my opinion rafa has already surpassed fed, he is playing in a stronger era and has managed to dominate his peers on different surfaces. but to be called the definitive goat he needs to keep dominating and i dont see that happening with del potro and djoker around.

loopback
03-21-2011, 10:15 AM
“Look, I mean, Federer is the best player that ever played this game,” Djokovic said. “And still, to be able to play this way after he has won so many Grand Slams. You have to give him credit for everything he has done.” (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/01/sports/tennis/01wimbledon.html)

Time Violation
03-21-2011, 10:16 AM
it's not a matter of liking or not liking a player over the other, it's a matter of being a clown or not being one.

Well, I think he'll somehow live with the fact that a random poster on MTF thinks he's a clown :p

Blackbriar
03-21-2011, 10:20 AM
“Look, I mean, Federer is the best player that ever played this game,” Djokovic said. “And still, to be able to play this way after he has won so many Grand Slams. You have to give him credit for everything he has done.” (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/01/sports/tennis/01wimbledon.html)

:rolls: Djerkovic

habibko
03-21-2011, 10:42 AM

he's called a faker for a reason

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=124799

duong
03-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Djokovic and Murray will say Nadal if you ask them, Nadal will say Federer if you ask him, and Federer will say Federer... and this kind of shows the hierarchy at the top.

Once again, Federer NEVER EVER said that he was the best of all times.

Only journalists and other players said that, and many people consider him as a "prick" then have made a connection between the journalist's words and Fed's thoughts, but he actually never said that.

He only said that he was happy to be among the best players of all times and always praised a lot Laver, Sampras, Borg, and also Nadal whom he has praised a lot since the Wimbledon 2007 final ("I have to hurry before he wins everything") and he kept on and on saying since then that "we have not seen the best of Rafa yet".

Even when Fed became number 1 back in mid-2009, and when people asked him, he said that Nadal had only lost it because of injury and he would not be number 1 if Nadal had not been in that case.

What I mostly reproach about Djokovic and Murray (but they do say that in a general context which goes the same way, it's not really about them actually) is not really that they praise Nadal, or Fed, but this usual tendency nowadays to forget about the greatest players of the past as if they were already forgotten :shrug:

that "I play against the best 2 players of all times" bullshit which Murray has said :rolleyes: ... and which some journalists also say actually.

Fed always insisted to praise the greatest of the past, and I think he was mentally strong enough to say that to journalists (and other previous players who work for TV) who tried a lot to make himself saying something else (for instance I had showed the video of McEnroe telling him "what does it make to be the best of all times" after RG 2009 final).

And this is more remarkable from him than from Nadal imo because he tries to really answer the questions, think and be sincere, whereas Nadal answers the journalists in a different way, doesn't really tries to get in their questions and always avoids them.

careergrandslam
03-21-2011, 11:09 AM
saying nadal is the best ever after that disgusting non-performance by nadal, is an insult to every tennis player.
you dont give 'best ever' compliments to a guy that lost the final in a shocking way.

henke007
03-21-2011, 11:20 AM
He must have meant the best Claycourtplayer , what a laugh..:o:spit:

duong
03-21-2011, 11:23 AM
saying nadal is the best ever after that disgusting non-performance by nadal, is an insult to every tennis player.
you dont give 'best ever' compliments to a guy that lost the final in a shocking way.

one day Nadal will be old and have more of these "shocking losses", not even play as well as he played yesterday in the first set (and which, I guess, was the reason for what Djokovic said yesterday).

Yet, he may still be the greatest ever at that moment because nobody should forget what he has done before.

I believe he can be this "greatest of all times" player (the one to beat is Laver imo, not only Federer), but yet he will not ever be the greatest player in the world : one day he will lose and lose and lose ... but it will still be him just struggling and trying more, and he and his efforts should be respected.

Just like heaven
03-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Djokovic also says he thinks Nadal is GOAT over Federer because all things he's accomplished by age 24.

http://twitter.com/TennisReporters/status/49633467918598144

Rafa laughing: 'Thank u to Novak 4 saying I'm GOAT & we are very good friends but that's not true, it's stupid'

http://twitter.com/TennisReporters/status/49625465643728897

dombrfc
03-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Nole: "Federer is the best player that ever played this game"

Marc23
03-21-2011, 11:38 AM

I agree...

duong
03-21-2011, 11:44 AM

yes it may be a "rational" mind game : Fed is in the weak position now and maybe Djokovic thinks it can help putting the cover on the dustbin :lol:

but maybe not, maybe it's just emotional, he just felt like saying nice, was hugely impressed by Nadal in first set or whatever :lol:

ExcaliburII
03-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Djokovic is a smart man, finally someone stating the truth.

Sonja1989
03-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Nole: "Federer is the best player that ever played this game"

This + title = Djokovic seems double-tongued... :retard:

Li Ching Yuen
03-21-2011, 11:50 AM
MTF is very confused as always.
Let me put this quote into context:

Indian Wells finalists Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic will make a quick trip to Colombia, wedging in a one-night exhibition next week between transfers from the Masters 1000 events at Indian Wells and Miami.

Wikipedia:
Any act that creates and enhances sexual desire in a sexual partner may constitute foreplay, including kissing, touching, embracing, talking, and teasing (teasing, in this case, may include methods of satisfaction, such as erotic sexual denial). The manual or oral stimulation of erogenous zones may be considered foreplay, as well as being part of the sex act itself. Sexual role-playing, fetish activities, and BDSM can also be considered foreplay, though they may continue into the sexual activity and not just precede it.

Just like heaven
03-21-2011, 11:53 AM

That was before Rafa's Wimbledon victory and career Grand Slam achievement.

Lleyton_
03-21-2011, 11:57 AM
First Nadal said in his speech 'blah blah against one of the greatest ever', then Djokovic returned the favor:rolleyes:
You don't say one of the greatest for a 2 time major winner. He is a nobody compared to true greats. But DjokoGOAT did say 'for me' so he was less guilty than Oldal [oldal? really?].

Florida
03-21-2011, 12:26 PM
It's always good when Nole gives compliments to his competition after he manhandles them with authority!!!!!! Never in doubt!!!!! It only shows that he's learned how to respect them both and beat them at the same time!!!! Nole king of diplomacY, a lesson you don't learn it usually comes as a natural personality quality!!!!!!

Amber Spyglass
03-21-2011, 12:36 PM
ive heard djoko saying highly complimentary stuff about federer but never to the extreme of calling him the best ever. then again, my memory is fragile so i'd apprecciate if you or others could provide some quotes about those statements about federer.

btw, apparently del potro is also a bit of a nadal fanboy. when he lost in the SF, he told Nadal at the net: 'win the tournament'.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Media/Videos/2011/03/Indian-Wells-2011-Tournament-Music-Review.aspx

In this interview after the semis he says Fed is the best in history(not the only time he said it either). I think what he means is that Fed is best results-wise and achievements but I think personally Novak finds Nadal(when Nadal's in good form) the toughest player he has ever played.He wears you down like no-one else, marathon rallies, loads of deuces on your service games.With Fed you get more of a breather.You can often hold serve games easily enough, where he won't be doing much with that chip return.Fed can also obviously turn it on and break you to love and run with it but often you can break him to love/15 too and there are generally more breathers, cheap points via shanks.When Nadal is in top form every point looks like a huge struggle and this must be very draining for the opponent.I think Novak personally has found him the toughest competitor to play

zlaja777
03-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Nadal surprised him saying that he was beaten by "one of the greatest" so Novak had to praise him more than usual.

Johnny Groove
03-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Djokovic is the mug that cried GOAT.

No one believes him anymore.

luie
03-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Nadull the GOAT with such a poor indoor/HC record,OK.During his PRIME.

thrust
03-21-2011, 01:23 PM

Perhaps Nole menat Roger was the best EVER, and Rafa is the best NOW? Whatever, Rafa is not yet the best ever. He is close to being one of the best ever, but not in the same league of Roger, Pete, Rod or Ken.

duong
03-21-2011, 01:32 PM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Media/Videos/2011/03/Indian-Wells-2011-Tournament-Music-Review.aspx

In this interview after the semis he says Fed is the best in history(not the only time he said it either). I think what he means is that Fed is best results-wise and achievements

I don't even think the reason why he said that Fed was the "best in history" is what you say, a calculation of the results ... : it's only that the journalists said that again and again, then he feels obliged to say that to satisfy them. Also it makes you look as a "nice guy" and so on ...

I'm certain Murray is so much in love with Nadal :hearts: that he feels so much like saying that "Nadal is the best ever" but he knows that for the journalists, he has to say something else.

Once the journalists will start saying that "Nadal is the only GOAT", you can be certain that the players will say that as well :lol:

All these "Goat" gossipings started for the same reason (all started with Sampras) : it's pure marketing.

Also currently I can see that the journalists would so much like Fed to say "I'm finished, these guys are much too good for me" : he resists, but the pressure is here, as it was for Djokovic to praise Fed again and again in the past.

As for whether he felt more comfortable against Nadal or Fed it depends on the moment : currently Nadal is a tougher opponent, that's for sure :lol: , but there was a moment when on hardcourts Djokovic felt also really comfortable against him, also it's been seldom that Nadal has won very easily against him (well RG 2008, maybe Roma 2010), while Fed did it sometimes (Cinci 2009 for instance), as other players have said they are very different opponents, Nadal always makes it tough to play but seldom gives an absolute beatdown, except on clay, while Fed could totally outplay his opponent and prevent him from playing.

KingF
03-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Did Nole really say that?????

Here's my Novak impersonation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLfj9NVuEbY

ssin
03-21-2011, 01:59 PM
This + title = Djokovic seems double-tongued... :retard:

Not really Sonjica. When Djoko says Fed is the best player ever, he is merely stating an objective verifiable fact. (open era at least)

When he says to Rafa face-to-face: TO ME you're the best ever, he expresses his personal feelings and respect to his friend.

It happens all the time, every day.

BTW, I just saw the ceremony and both Rafa and Nole were classy. Great players and characters imo.

Time Violation
03-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Nadal laughed when he heard the comment, saying it was not "not true," but the Serbian held his ground.

"I think he's the best ever because, even though he's 24 years old, he has done so much already,” Djokovic said. "Many years in front of him too, I think even to overtake Roger in the Grand Slam trophies."—Matthew Cronin

Not sure whether it was posted.

barahmasa
03-21-2011, 02:03 PM

both washed up hasbeens.

Pathetic a little bit? Geez i thought us open was just a few months ago... :eek:

Chartreuse
03-21-2011, 02:03 PM
:confused:

16 > 9

ssin
03-21-2011, 02:06 PM
:confused:

16 > 9

Yes, and TO ME, Lendl is the best ever. He won "only" 8 GS.

By all other accounts, Fed is the best player ever.

Sonja1989
03-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Not really Sonjica. When Djoko says Fed is the best player ever, he is merely stating an objective verifiable fact. (open era at least)

When he says to Rafa face-to-face: TO ME you're the best ever, he expresses his personal feelings and respect to his friend.

BTW, I just saw the ceremony and both Rafa and Nole were classy. Great players and characters imo.

Okay, you are right. Djokovic said "for me."

Lleyton_
03-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Djokovic is clueless about the history of the game. His answer to 'who has the most RG titles?' was Nadal, in 2008:o

Pucho
03-21-2011, 02:14 PM
I don't know what is so strange about this statement. It is the truth...

How can someone be the greatest player ever if he is a bitch of his biggest rival? If you are the greatest you can not have such a big losing record against anyone.

You can not have 2-5 in Grand Slam finals against your biggest rival (both wins coming in the same slam, and his rival beats him at 3 different slams on three different surfaces)

Federer would never completed Career Slam if Nadal wasn't injured at Roland Garros in 2009.

And it's shame Federer didn't use these matchpoints against Djokovic in US Open semi-final last year, because Nadal would crush him in the final and complete a "Career Slam with Federer in finals". And was Federer ever near to do that with Nadal? No! He only beat Nadal at Wimbledon 2 times and that's it.

The Facts:
Head to Head: Nadal - Federer 14:8
Head to Head in Grand Slams: Nadal - Federer 5:2
Olympic Games (the most prestigious sport event) Nadal - Federer Gold medal:nothing (in doubles yes, but discussion is not if Federer is greates doubles player)
Davis Cup: Nadal - Federer Champion:no champion
Masters Titles: Nadal - Federer 18:17

The only thing that Federer has against Nadal is something that 99% of the world thinks is the most important - the number of grand slam titles. 16 to 9 for Federer. But here comes the most important fact: Nadal is 24 year-old and Federer is 29

Nadal has proven in matches between them that he is better player. All he has to do now is to collect Grand Slam titles and he has more then enough talent and time to do so. The only danger for him is not Federer, it is his health. If he can have a normal career he will definitely have more than 16 titles, and i'm not sure if Federer has any more chances at the Slams now, because it's not only Nadal anymore, now it's there Djokovic too.

So Djokovic said the truth: Rafael Nadal is greatest player of all times (in making)

Chartreuse
03-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Okay, you are right. Djokovic said "for me."

:aplot:

RIboy
03-21-2011, 02:20 PM
for me Rod Laver is the best player ever by some margin

Commander Data
03-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Good to know.

Commander Data
03-21-2011, 02:27 PM
The only thing that Federer has against Nadal is something that 99% of the world thinks is the most important - the number of grand slam titles. 16 to 9 for Federer. But here comes the most important fact: Nadal is 24 year-old and Federer is 29

:retard:

freeandlonely
03-21-2011, 02:27 PM
If you follow all interviews of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, and some other top players throughout these years, they are all playing some mind-games here and there, it's not a big deal. In fact, it doesn't matter at all. My advice is, be happy, see media stuff as a fun in a sport of capitalist system.

Or look for some Safin's and Nalbandian's, you'll probably find something like:
Safin : "Hahaha, he is No.1, he must act like No.1, happy I don't have to, hahaha."
Nalbandian : "I think you asked this question 60 seconds ago."

jadey
03-21-2011, 02:30 PM

exactly right , the " for me " makes all the difference in that statement .

duong
03-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Or look for some Safin's and Nalbandian's, you'll probably find something like:
Safin : "Hahaha, he is No.1, he must act like No.1, happy I don't have to, hahaha."
Nalbandian : "I think you asked this question 60 seconds ago."

yes :yeah:

it's a pity all the players don't answer the same,

but you know there are big contracts at stake :lol: : with all of the people here who don't understand the difference between marketing and what people really think, and who always want "politically correct" words or interprete every tiny little word and behaviour, marketing surely still has a great future ;)

MTwEeZi
03-21-2011, 02:38 PM
I concur with this analysis. Any doubters need to take a look at this thread.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=179082

nsidhan
03-21-2011, 02:43 PM
God forbid Nole suffers a shock loss to Donald Young one day. If that happens he will say, "For me Donald Young is the....". No I cannot write those words :timebomb:

Branimir
03-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Nadal called Djokovic: One of the greatest.

Myrre
03-21-2011, 02:47 PM
in my opinion rafa has already surpassed fed, he is playing in a stronger era and has managed to dominate his peers on different surfaces. but to be called the definitive goat he needs to keep dominating and i dont see that happening with del potro and djoker around.

Which stronger era? Who can you seriously say are serious contenders for Slams? There basically are only 5 players.

You don't have to go far down the rankings to see that there really isn't that strong a field. Ferrer, Verdasco, Melzer, Monfils, Almagro, Fish, etc. I rest my case.

Super Djoker
03-21-2011, 03:01 PM
I thort u said Nadal was guns win! Ha ha ha. Proved nadal has a weekness with his backhand near the middle of the court! Players are guna try that non stop on Nadal know. Any Djokovic weaknesses wright now? Thort not

Amber Spyglass
03-21-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't even think the reason why he said that Fed was the "best in history" is what you say, a calculation of the results ... : it's only that the journalists said that again and again, then he feels obliged to say that to satisfy them. Also it makes you look as a "nice guy" and so on ...

I'm certain Murray is so much in love with Nadal :hearts: that he feels so much like saying that "Nadal is the best ever" but he knows that for the journalists, he has to say something else.

Once the journalists will start saying that "Nadal is the only GOAT", you can be certain that the players will say that as well :lol:

All these "Goat" gossipings started for the same reason (all started with Sampras) : it's pure marketing.

Also currently I can see that the journalists would so much like Fed to say "I'm finished, these guys are much too good for me" : he resists, but the pressure is here, as it was for Djokovic to praise Fed again and again in the past.

As for whether he felt more comfortable against Nadal or Fed it depends on the moment : currently Nadal is a tougher opponent, that's for sure :lol: , but there was a moment when on hardcourts Djokovic felt also really comfortable against him, also it's been seldom that Nadal has won very easily against him (well RG 2008, maybe Roma 2010), while Fed did it sometimes (Cinci 2009 for instance), as other players have said they are very different opponents, Nadal always makes it tough to play but seldom gives an absolute beatdown, except on clay, while Fed could totally outplay his opponent and prevent him from playing.

I may have said results, but I meant more, achievements,how incredibly successful he's been over a sustained period.Unlike you, I don't think it was a PR stunt to call Fed the greatest,there was nothing even suggesting or pressurising him to say that from the interviewer's question.And as for an effort on his own part, to just say it to please the media and fans and be more popular,well every Tom,Dick and Harry calls Fed GOAT these days so he hardly thinks he's going to get some kind of brownie points for that.If Djokovic wants to be liked he does his thing,goofy ads,dueting with Bryan brothers or trying to entertain fans at the practice courts(which I don't think is fake but some people will so whatever) not sucking up to other players.Djokovic had a big success in 08 at a very young age, beating them all,without having had a huge number of losses to them at that stage,so he was a little disillusioned as to how hard it would be.In the past two years he has suffered a lot of tough losses to both as well as experiencing ups and downs in his own form, and so now I think he genuinely appreciates and respects their incredible achievements and consistency and just how hard they are to beat on the big stage.I don't think it's a desperate attempt for popularity at all,I think they are his genuine thoughts having seen them at work for so long,as a fellow player who obviously understands the demands and rigours the sport entails.Also I don't think it was a dig at Fed.Nadal said he lost against one of the greatest(obviously meant around right now) but it was still a nice thing to hear and I think Djokovic felt the need then to give him a higher praise than that because of the gulf in their results.I think had Nadal not made his particular comment,Novak actually wouldn't have mentioned the GOAT thing at all( which he would have done if an attempt at a dig)At USO(off his own bat),Novak said he was the best player in the world and absoulutely deserved it).I think he felt the need to say something after Nadal's comment(cause he likes Nadal a lot off-court) and the "for me" is important.

About the tennis, Nadal mightn't thrash you but he grinds you down and that can often be much tougher to handle than a blowout(where you probably feel you played bad yourself) Nadal also, nearly always plays clutch.In a Grandslam tiebreak for example, Fed and Djokovic are 50/50 going in.Fed could hit some amazing winners or also blow up in flames.With Nadal, he rarely is left wanting in the very clutch stakes.9 times out of ten,the opponent blinks first or Nadal simply comes up with something outrageous.This is why I think Djokovic and Murray find Nadal so incredible and really hard to overcome in a big-match situation(as has Federer many times too).Yeah Fed might beat them, thrash them sometimes, but I think they(Djokovic in particular) are more quietly confident of their chances going in ,than possibly against Nadal.

Super Djoker
03-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Djokovic is clueless about the history of the game. His answer to 'who has the most RG titles?' was Nadal, in 2008:o

Do you think Djokovic cares? me neither !

Nadull_tard
03-21-2011, 03:16 PM

I remember that. Disrespectful to the former great players, probably Nole is the follower of theory that tennis started with Nadal appearance.

Jaz
03-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Djokovic is totally turning me off right now. I was indifferent to him, but he's got a personality that just pisses me off.

Start da Game
03-21-2011, 03:20 PM
your sportsmanship is the greatest ever, serbian legend!

duong
03-21-2011, 03:21 PM
I may have said results, but I meant more, achievements,how incredibly successful he's been over a sustained period.Unlike you, I don't think it was a PR stunt to call Fed the greatest,there was nothing even suggesting or pressurising him to say that from the interviewer's question.And as for an effort on his own part, to just say it to please the media and fans and be more popular,well every Tom,Dick and Harry calls Fed GOAT these days so he hardly thinks he's going to get some kind of brownie points for that.If Djokovic wants to be liked he does his thing,goofy ads,dueting with Bryan brothers or trying to entertain fans at the practice courts(which I don't think is fake but some people will so whatever) not sucking up to other players.Djokovic had a big success in 08 at a very young age, beating them all,without having had a huge number of losses to them at that stage,so he was a little disillusioned as to how hard it would be.In the past two years he has suffered a lot of tough losses to both as well as experiencing ups and downs in his own form, and so now I think he genuinely appreciates and respects their incredible achievements and consistency and just how hard they are to beat on the big stage.I don't think it's a desperate attempt for popularity at all,I think they are his genuine thoughts having seen them at work for so long,as a fellow player who obviously understands the demands and rigours the sport entails.Also I don't think it was a dig at Fed.Nadal said he lost against one of the greatest(obviously meant around right now) but it was still a nice thing to hear and I think Djokovic felt the need then to give him a higher praise than that because of the gulf in their results.I think had Nadal not made his particular comment,Novak actually wouldn't have mentioned the GOAT thing at all( which he would have done if an attempt at a dig)At USO(off his own bat),Novak said he was the best player in the world and absoulutely deserved it).I think he felt the need to say something after Nadal's comment(cause he likes Nadal a lot off-court) and the "for me" is important.

About the tennis, Nadal mightn't thrash you but he grinds you down and that can often be much tougher to handle than a blowout(where you probably feel you played bad yourself) Nadal also, nearly always plays clutch.In a Grandslam tiebreak for example, Fed and Djokovic are 50/50 going in.Fed could hit some amazing winners or also blow up in flames.With Nadal, he rarely is left wanting in the very clutch stakes.9 times out of ten,the opponent blinks first or Nadal simply comes up with something outrageous.This is why I think Djokovic and Murray find Nadal so incredible and really hard to overcome in a big-match situation(as has Federer many times too).Yeah Fed might beat them, thrash them sometimes, but I think they(Djokovic in particular) are more quietly confident of their chances going in ,than possibly against Nadal.

Ok good arguments (I usually appreciate the cleverness of your posts ;) ).

However I still think saying those kinds of things gives him "brownie points" from the journalists and fans :p

Yes, you're right, he's learned to appreciate the constance of these players, he's said it and I believe he genuinely thinks that. It's always a debatable question how far someone is genuine or says what the journalists want to know : I think there's both of them but more marketing in the "best of all times" answer ... esp about Federer, about Nadal yes I think you have the best reason.

River
03-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Djokovic is totally turning me off right now. I was indifferent to him, but he's got a personality that just pisses me off.

Being nice sucks?

I don't get what Nole was supposed to say.

Had he told Federer he's -one- of the greatest of all time, the tards here would have flipped. I guess he's gotta say to Rafa that he's only -one- of them just to please everyone.

I like the Nole that doesn't try to please everyone. He just plays his game and says what he says.

Vida
03-21-2011, 03:41 PM
nole and rafa - GOATS
:bowdown: :bowdown:

foul_dwimmerlaik
03-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Thank god he didn't say Murray's the greatest ever after he beat him at the Aussie. That'd just have been awkward.

zcess81
03-21-2011, 04:26 PM
I don't understand why so many people seem surprised that Nadal is considered by some as the greatest player EVER?? Matter of opinion, yes, but what he has achieved so far is from another planet. I for one would put his achievements at the very least in Fed's category. Nadal is 24 YEARS OLD FFS! Fed was able to collect most of his slams in undeniably weak era. Yout telling me that if peak Fed was playing in this era he'd have 16 slams?? Whatever. You telling me that had he faced Nadal in FO final he'd have career slam now? No way.

Nadal's mental strength is undeniably the best ever. Fed can't even compare in that department. And what's more important is this fact: I can't see Fed winning more majors (he may be lucky if he wins another Wimbledon) but I can see Nadal winning min 2 slams a year (FO + Wimbledon) for another 4-5 years. If it is disputable that he's the best of all time NOW it certainly won't be by the time he's Fed's age.

duong
03-21-2011, 04:33 PM
I don't understand why so many people seem surprised that Nadal is considered by some as the greatest player EVER?? Matter of opinion, yes, but what he has achieved so far is from another planet. I for one would put his achievements at the very least in Fed's category. Nadal is 24 YEARS OLD FFS! Fed was able to collect most of his slams in undeniably weak era. Yout telling me that if peak Fed was playing in this era he'd have 16 slams?? Whatever. You telling me that had he faced Nadal in FO final he'd have career slam now? No way.

Nadal's mental strength is undeniably the best ever. Fed can't even compare in that department. And what's more important is this fact: I can't see Fed winning more majors (he may be lucky if he wins another Wimbledon) but I can see Nadal winning min 2 slams a year (FO + Wimbledon) for another 4-5 years. If it is disputable that he's the best of all time NOW it certainly won't be by the time he's Fed's age.

Tennis history has not started with Federer neither with Sampras.

zcess81
03-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Tennis history has not started with Federer neither with Sampras.

This is true but modern day tennis is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT sport to "historical tennis"...These guys are PRIME athletes. Tennis of the 90s and before was like golf in comparison. Some might argue that S&V is more interesting and that is fine, but winning a slam now is A LOT TOUGHER than it was in 90s, 80s, 70s. Not only you have to be skilful but you also have to be SUPREME ATHLETE.

I'm sorry but what Laver and old dinosaurs achieved back in Jurassic age cannot be compared to Fed/Nadal's achievements...it's like comparing chess to boxing. Back then it was ONLY about skill/talent. Now you have to be superhuman physically just to have a shot at being competitive. Completely different sport. Whether it is better having long physical rallies vs S&V is matter of personal preference but you CANNOT compare number of slams those old guys won back in their days to what these guys are winning....it's just like comparing apples to oranges.

Li Ching Yuen
03-21-2011, 04:48 PM
This is true but modern day tennis is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT sport to "historical tennis"...These guys are PRIME athletes. Tennis of the 90s abd before was like golf in comparison. Some might argue that S&V is more interesting and that is fine, but winning a slam now is A LOT TOUGHER than it was in 90s, 80s, 70s. Not only you have to be skilful but you also have to be SUPREME ATHLETE.

http://oi51.tinypic.com/20ro411.jpg

zcess81
03-21-2011, 04:50 PM
http://oi51.tinypic.com/20ro411.jpg

Would be nice to present a decent argument...otherwise you might as well not bother answering

duong
03-21-2011, 04:50 PM
This is true but modern day tennis is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT sport to "historical tennis"...These guys are PRIME athletes. Tennis of the 90s abd before was like golf in comparison. Some might argue that S&V is more interesting and that is fine, but winning a slam now is A LOT TOUGHER than it was in 90s, 80s, 70s. Not only you have to be skilful but you also have to be SUPREME ATHLETE.

my point of view on that is totally different from yours :

the word is "the best of all times", if we say "the best of modern tennis", that's a different question.

When one says "of all times", imo it's because one refers to a history, to a stable state of tennis across time, to a sport which people have loved for long.

If one despises the past, if one despises history, how can you say "of all times" ?

And precisely I have a problem about Nadal on that : I can't easily imagine him playing great in a different era, because his tennis owes a lot to modern rackets and is not classical at all.

That's what was nice with Fed, it was that his tennis was "quite classic", and you could easily imagine him playing, and playing great, in other periods of tennis. He could be viewed as a summary of several players in the past, borrowing aspects from them. It was not only Fed who was praised, but also all these aspects of history and tennis greats. Laver as well is like that actually, even if some think he was "too small", he was also a very complete player, introducing spin in his time, a leftist as well, when so many great players were leftist ...

I cannot imagine that with Nadal. For instance, even Borg's game was more "classical" than Nadal's : not as much spin, and a player who could play very well on carpet, who could volley quite often ... and Borg was already a huge breakdown in the history of tennis.

Then well I love enough the tennis of the past to respect it first, and to look for "what's classic" in tennis secondly.

You see, that's a totally different point of view from yours.

Besides, saying that it's a lot tougher to win slams now, I have to disagree : actually, it was far more difficult to win slams on all surfaces in the 80s and in the 90s. I'm actually convinced that Lendl would have won Wimbledon in current conditions. First rounds were easier in the 70s, that's true, but between the top-players, competition was already very tough.

Let me tell you that when you had together Borg, Connors and McEnroe, then later Lendl, Connors and McEnroe, the competition was very tough.

In the beginning of the 90s, the competition was very tough as well.

I know that journalists for marketing reasons always try to say that "best of all times" is a competition reserved to ... modern players.

But I mean imo it's a travesty of that notion "of all times".

I love enough past tennis to contest that.

Li Ching Yuen
03-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Would be nice to present a decent argument...otherwise you might as well not bother answering

yeah, it'd be nice if we both shut the fuck up already.

tennizen
03-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Nadal called Djokovic: One of the greatest.

People are ignoring this:silly: Such high praise flattered and discomfited Nole at the same time and he was obliged to hype Rafito in a proportionally exaggerated manner.

duong
03-21-2011, 05:00 PM
People are ignoring this:silly: Such high praise flattered and discomfited Nole at the same time and he was obliged to hype Rafito in a proportionally exaggerated manner.

I think that is because people have learned for long to ignore Nadal's statements,

his long praises of Rochus, one of the best talented players, and all his "he's very tough, I'm not favourite",

people don't even more pay attention to what he says :lol:

Yet, at least, he never has any reproach because it's always politically correct :lol:

zcess81
03-21-2011, 05:00 PM
my point of view on that is totally different from yours :

the word is "the best of all times", if we say "the best of modern tennis", that's a different question.

When one says "of all times", imo it's because one refers to a history, to a stable state of tennis within time, to a sport which people have loved for long.

If one despises the past, if one despises history, how can you say "of all times" ?

And precisely I have a problem about Nadal on that : I can't easily imagine him playing great in a different era, because his tennis owes a lot to modern rackets and is not classical at all.

That's what was nice with Fed, it was that his tennis was "quite classic", and you could easily imagine him playing, and playing great, in other periods of tennis.

I cannot imagine that with Nadal. For instance, even Borg's game was very different from Nadal's : not as much spin, and a player who could play very well on carpet, who could volley quite often ... and Borg was already a huge breakdown in the history of tennis.

Then well I love enough the tennis of the past to respect it first, and to look for "what's classic" in tennis secondly.

You see, that's a totally different point of view from yours.

Besides, saying that it's a lot tougher to win slams now, I have to disagree : actually, it was far more difficult to win slams on all surfaces in the 80s and in the 90s. I'm actually convinced that Lendl would have won Wimbledon in current conditions. First rounds were easier in the 70s, that's true, but between the top-players, competition was already very tough.

Let me tell you that when you had together Borg, Connors and McEnroe, then later Lendl, Connors and McEnroe, the competition was very tough.

In the beginning of the 90s, the competition was very tough as well.

I know that journalists for marketing reasons always try to say that "best of all times" is a competition reserved to ... modern players.

But I mean imo it's a travesty of that notion "of all times".

I love enough past tennis to contest that.

When people say best of all times they mostly take into consideration number of slams won and I stand by my argument that it is a lot tougher to win slams now. Yes racket technology has improved vastly but it it because of racket technology/courts that tennis became brutally physical sport. Like I said before, now to even have a shot at a grand slam title you HAVE to be AMAZING athlete/mover and it it that physical demand that makes it much tougher to win imo. That is why number of slams should not be deciding factor when comparing Fed/Nadal's achievements to the greats from 80s, 70s etc. That is why I don't find it ridiculous when Nole says that for him Nadal is the greatest ever. If you take into account his age, era he's played in, what he's achieved it doesn't become that ridiculous. Matter of opinion, for sure, but not ridiculous.

If you are a golf player, chess player, bowler, where physical demand is not the main criteria, you can play till you're 40, 50 etc...in that period you can win MANY tournaments. In today's tennis you're LUCKY is you're still in top 10 by the age of 30. There is VERY SHORT PERIOD OF TIME you can play modern tennis precisely of physical demands and in that short time there is only so much you can win.

GlennMirnyi
03-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Yeah.

Beating Montanes, Almugro and etc. is definitely a lot harder than beating Krajicek, Rafter, Ivanisevic, etc.

Oh the newbies. :lol:

zcess81
03-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Yeah.

Beating Montanes, Almugro and etc. is definitely a lot harder than beating Krajicek, Rafter, Ivanisevic, etc.

Oh the newbies. :lol:

Physically it is MUCH tougher, no question in my mind. Ivanisevic, Krajicek, Rafter etc were all serve/S&V...they were Karlovic's of the 90s. If they were playing NOW I'd be surprised if they were in top 20.

Why do I even bother responding to someone who thinks Stepanek is a good player.

duong
03-21-2011, 05:09 PM
When people say best of all times they mostly take into consideration number of slams won and I stand by my argument that it is a lot tougher to win slams now. Yes racket technology has improved vastly but it it because of racket technology/courts that tennis became brutally physical sport. Like I said before, now to even have a shot at a grand slam title you HAVE to be AMAZING athlete/mover and it it that physical demand that makes it much tougher to win imo. That is why number of slams should not be deciding factor when comparing Fed/Nadal's achievements to the greats from 80s, 70s etc. That is why I don't find it ridiculous when Nole says that for him Nadal is the greatest ever. If you take into account his age, era he's played in, what he's achieved it doesn't become that ridiculous. Matter of opinion, for sure, but not ridiculous.

it's more physical today, but it was not easier before : the competition was on other aspects, but there was this competition.

If the question is "what's more difficult", then try to play tennis with a wooden racket and maybe you will say "it was tough".

But actually the question is not whether it's tougher to play tennis now or before : the question is if the competition was toug or not, and it was tough indeed.

Or maybe your argument is, if I understand, that it was easier to have some longevity on the tour because tennis was more technical and less physical. That might be an argument if the players of the past had an advantage in the number of slams won, but it is actually not the case : they didn't win more slams in the past, especially because some great players like Laver, Rosewall and Gonzales mostly played in pro competitions ...

By the way, I don't find it ridiculous to say that Nadal is the "greatest ever" ;)
Debatable but not ridiculous.

Your arguments I find more ridiculous to be honest : historical tennis was easy, modern tennis is so much more blablabla ... I find it ridiculous.

But to say Nadal may pretend to that I don't think it's ridiculous although I expect more from him in the future to say that : at his current age he has nothing more and even less than Borg imo (Borg, who could win a lot of tournaments on carpet especially).

GlennMirnyi
03-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Physically it is MUCH tougher, no question in my mind. Ivanisevic, Krajicek, Rafter etc were all serve/S&V...they were Karlovic's of the 90s. If they were playing NOW I'd be surprised if they were in top 20.

Why do I even bother responding to someone who thinks Stepanek is a good player.

Comparing Krajicek and Rafter to Karlovic shows exactly how much you know about tennis. And that's not a compliment. :lol: It's not much tougher. Playing 3 sets against mugs all the way to a 4 set semi-final/final is hardly demanding.

Stepanek is a former top 10 player. If that's not being at least a decent player, I wonder what is. :scratch:

GlennMirnyi
03-21-2011, 05:13 PM
it's more physical today, but it was not easier before : the competition was on other aspects, but there was this competition.

If the question is "what's more difficult", then try to play tennis with a wooden racket and maybe you will say "it was tough".

But actually the question is not whether it's tougher to play tennis now or before : the question is if the competition was toug or not, and it was tough indeed.

Or maybe your argument is, if I understand, that it was easier to have some longevity on the tour because tennis was more technical and less physical. That might be an argument if the players of the past had an advantage in the number of slams won, but it is actually not the case : they didn't win more slams in the past, especially because some great players like Laver, Rosewall and Gonzales mostly played in pro competitions ...

By the way, I don't find it ridiculous to say that Nadal is the "greatest ever" ;)
Debatable but not ridiculous.

Your arguments I find more ridiculous to be honest : historical tennis was easy, modern tennis is so much more blablabla ... I find it ridiculous.

But to say Nadal may pretend to that I don't think it's ridiculous although I expect more from him in the future to say that : at his current age he has nothing more and even less than Borg imo (Borg, who could win a lot of tournaments on carpet especially).

It is.

If the greatest ever tennis player is a guy who can't perform a proper forehand swing, can't slice, can't volley, can't serve, can't hold a racket right and can't do anything but run, then tennis is really in a bad bad shape.

asmazif
03-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Rafter all-serve? :lol:

GlennMirnyi
03-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Rafter all-serve? :lol:

Yeah :lol:!

zcess81
03-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Comparing Krajicek and Rafter to Karlovic shows exactly how much you know about tennis. And that's not a compliment. :lol: It's not much tougher. Playing 3 sets against mugs all the way to a 4 set semi-final/final is hardly demanding.

Stepanek is a former top 10 player. If that's not being at least a decent player, I wonder what is. :scratch:

Errr so was Robredo and your point being? Your fave player Nadal has been no.1 forever, won countless gs/tournaments and you think he's a shit player....I find THAT laughable. And you're 25...I've been watching tennis when you were in kinder garden.

tennizen
03-21-2011, 05:19 PM
It is.

If the greatest ever tennis player is a guy who can't perform a proper forehand swing, can't slice, can't volley, can't serve, can't hold a racket right and can't do anything but run, then tennis is really in a bad bad shape.

Same logic as saying science is really really in a bad shape because Einstein never passed high school:D

duong
It is.

it's exaggerated :lol: but in a way, that's also like what I said in a way : there's a problem for some people to consider Nadal as an "epitome" of the history of tennis.

Independently from how good he is precisely, Federer had that advantage to be considered as a good representative of all that history.

Laver imo also had that advantage although maybe not enough "physically strong" (yet he had a great physique) but Fed also has some flaws, nobody can be perfect :lol:

guga2120

This is true, especially on who Roger will say. He is always so humble.

duong
03-21-2011, 05:23 PM

:bs:

Look one or two pages before : Fed has never ever said that, then if you have that evil image of him, that's your problem :devil:

Start da Game
03-21-2011, 05:26 PM
It is.

Same logic as saying science is really really in a bad shape because Einstein never passed high school:D

owned...

abraxas21
03-21-2011, 05:29 PM
he's called a faker for a reason

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=124799

wow i wasn't aware of all that.

even more reasons to hate the guy.

rocketassist
03-21-2011, 05:30 PM

Comparing those three to Karlovic especially Rafter :haha:

Stepanek's another player who's been hampered by slow courts.

rocketassist
03-21-2011, 05:32 PM
wow i wasn't aware of all that.

even more reasons to hate the guy.

I lie, I cheat, I steal....

Vida
03-21-2011, 05:34 PM
you suck too ;)

luie
03-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Novak wants success & crowd approval @ any cost it seems,, poor monfils.

samanosuke
03-21-2011, 05:53 PM

this

tangerine_dream
03-21-2011, 06:01 PM
"For me, you are the greatest player ever."

How can anyone doubt this is Novak's way of glove-slapping Federer?

zcess81
03-21-2011, 06:03 PM

That is assuming that the crowd likes Rafa better than Fed. How can he or you or anyone know that? They are both popular.

Pirata.
03-21-2011, 06:08 PM

:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Comparing slam winners and finalists to Karlovic :spit:

GlennMirnyi
03-21-2011, 06:10 PM

Einstein is nothing compared to Gauss, Leibniz, Newton. Had to be said. Also, he's overrated and basically "ripped off" other scientists. Especially Lorentz and Poincaré. :)

GlennMirnyi
03-21-2011, 06:11 PM
owned...

Go back to your cave, mate. :wavey:

Super Djoker
03-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Nice . I like it. 1 question? With the serve why isn't roddick a ace? I now that,s nit picking

zcess81
03-21-2011, 06:22 PM
:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Comparing slam winners and finalists to Karlovic :spit:

Errr in the 90s Karlovic would have been top 8 EASILY. If he can reach career high of 14 on these surfaces in the 90s he could have easily reached a few Wimbledon finals.

scarecrows
03-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Start da Fail coming back 1 week after his emotional farewell :haha:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=10833266#post10833266

Commander Data
03-21-2011, 06:24 PM
So Nole basically saying: "Hey, I just beat the best player ever!"

...that is kinda modest.

zcess81
03-21-2011, 06:26 PM
So Nole basically saying: "Hey, I just beat the best player ever!"

...that is kinda modest.

No, what he was saying was: "I beat TWO best players ever!" Cause he said the similar thing after beating Fed.

abraxas21
03-21-2011, 06:26 PM

:lol:

Super Djoker
03-21-2011, 06:27 PM

Wrong . Pistol pete Sampras now that,s the best ever! They changed The Grass courts at Wimbledon in about 2003 Federer,s never won on Real Grass! Just the much slower crap we got know!

juan27
03-21-2011, 06:28 PM
your sportsmanship is the greatest ever, serbian legend!

djokovic legend¿??¿??¿?¿¿??¿:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

this nadal`s fans.....

this is stroger era yeah!!!!

with legends like mugray,verdasco,melzer,berdych,ferrer in top-10.....

sure that them are betters than davydenko,blake,hewitt,safin,roddick,ferrtero,nalb andian,coria,etc... ja

Commander Data
03-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Einstein is nothing compared to Gauss, Leibniz, Newton. Had to be said.

I think there is little doubt that you are the expert needed for assessing and comparing the work of Einstein and Leibniz :yeah:

deluded much?

samanosuke
03-21-2011, 06:31 PM

:haha::haha:

who doesn't know him , he would pay with gold for him

rocketassist
03-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Errr in the 90s Karlovic would have been top 8 EASILY. If he can reach career high of 14 on these surfaces in the 90s he could have easily reached a few Wimbledon finals.

The other serves were better in the 90s too so his chances of getting return points to break serve or win the TBs become marginally less.

If he was playing a guy who had better all-round intangibles like Sampras, Krajicek, Rafter, Henman, Rusedski and returnGOAT Agassi he would not get past these guys at Wimbledon most of the time.

Clay was even slower back then, and hardcourts are hardcourts, so where would he get these points from? He'd be the Alexander Popp of the 1990s if he played then.

Start da Game
03-21-2011, 06:34 PM

i told it already clown, it is embarrassing for sure.......i will not even delete that post.......let it remain for haters like you to cling on to that once in a while and feel better in otherwise unhealthy living.......

there was no need to stay away for me when the mods did what was needed to be done.......they have to be appreciated for that.......

juan27
03-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Wrong . Pistol pete Sampras now that,s the best ever! They changed The Grass courts at Wimbledon in about 2003 Federer,s never won on Real Grass! Just the much slower crap we got know!

wrong!!!!

SAMPRAS AND FEDERER are not the goats!!!

don`t exist the goat,it`s pure marketing.

exist the bests of tennis history like: laver,borg,sampras,federer and others greats players!!!!

the only way to find out who the best is to play all the best in your respectives primes and peaks, and this is imposible!!!!!!!!

legends are many, but don`t exist a really goat, it`s imposible say with certainty.

sampras also has debts in many points like roger or borg or mcenroe.....

GlennMirnyi
03-21-2011, 06:35 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha:

I think there is little doubt that you are the expert needed for assessing and comparing the work of Einstein and Leibniz :yeah:

deluded much?

Einstein is just someone standing on the shoulders of giants.

Without the geniuses of these three (and others of their time) there would be no "modern science".

Anyway, I don't need to discuss with someone who can't even understand simple English in NT threads. :lol:

Commander Data
03-21-2011, 06:36 PM

:rolls:

samanosuke
03-21-2011, 06:37 PM
i told it already clown, it is embarrassing for sure.......i will not even delete that post.......let it remain for haters like you to cling on to that once in a while and feel better in otherwise unhealthy living.......

there was no need to stay away for me when the mods did what was needed to be done.......they have to be appreciated for that.......

zcess81
03-21-2011, 06:38 PM
The other serves were better in the 90s too so his chances of getting return points to break serve or win the TBs become marginally less.

If he was playing a guy who had better all-round intangibles like Sampras, Krajicek, Rafter, Henman, Rusedski and returnGOAT Agassi he would not get past these guys at Wimbledon most of the time.

Clay was even slower back then, and hardcourts are hardcourts, so where would he get these points from? He'd be the Alexander Popp of the 1990s if he played then.

I don't have the stats on me but I'm 99% sure that today's players, on average, are better returners. Agassi was a great returner for sure...now you have players like Murray, Ferrer, Davydenko, Djokovic, Federer (at his prime) etc all amazing returners. And even with these guys Karlovic managed to get to 14! Plus Wimbledon and most HC now are SLOWER than back then, which puts him at even bigger disadvantage! I'm sorry but Wimbledon (and most HC) in the 90s was much faster than it is now and Karlovic would have had great success there...few finals would not be out of the question imo.

Karlovic is unlucky in that he started playing in the wrong era. His game (i.e serve) is suited for 90s play. It's such a HUGE weapon that, even now, he manages to beat top players with it on much slower surfaces than in the 90s.

Commander Data
03-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Anyway, I don't need to discuss with someone who can't even understand simple English in NT threads. :lol:

good that you mention it. your science understanding has been obvious in that thread :lol:

juan27
03-21-2011, 06:42 PM

How can someone be the greatest player ever if he is a bitch of his biggest rival? If you are the greatest you can not have such a big losing record against anyone.

You can not have 2-5 in Grand Slam finals against your biggest rival (both wins coming in the same slam, and his rival beats him at 3 different slams on three different surfaces)

Federer would never completed Career Slam if Nadal wasn't injured at Roland Garros in 2009.

And it's shame Federer didn't use these matchpoints against Djokovic in US Open semi-final last year, because Nadal would crush him in the final and complete a "Career Slam with Federer in finals". And was Federer ever near to do that with Nadal? No! He only beat Nadal at Wimbledon 2 times and that's it.

The Facts:
Olympic Games (the most prestigious sport event) Nadal - Federer Gold medal:nothing (in doubles yes, but discussion is not if Federer is greates doubles player)

Nadal has proven in matches between them that he is better player. All he has to do now is to collect Grand Slam titles and he has more then enough talent and time to do so. The only danger for him is not Federer, it is his health. If he can have a normal career he will definitely have more than 16 titles, and i'm not sure if Federer has any more chances at the Slams now, because it's not only Nadal anymore, now it's there Djokovic too.

So Djokovic said the truth: Rafael Nadal is greatest player of all times (in making)

nadal in federer`s peak only win in clay.......

most part of the matches between federer and nadal was in clay, nadal only beats federer in other surfaces( talking in gs) when federer past his prime and nadal began his prime.....before nadal lost with roger in grass and in hard courts never plays the final.

the records of federer , nadal still light years

tennizen
03-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Einstein is nothing compared to Gauss, Leibniz, Newton. Had to be said. Also, he's overrated and basically "ripped off" other scientists. Especially Lorentz and Poincaré. :)

I heard Rafa also ripped off all his strokes from King Oscar.

Start da Game
03-21-2011, 06:54 PM
tennis looks so right when nadal is at the top and djokovic following him and beginning to challenge him everywhere......the era of the spartans!

finally we have a rivalry......the spartan - sparbian rivalry.......party time.......

Lee
03-21-2011, 06:58 PM
160 posts for a statement of one friend saying toward another one. :worship: MTF

Commander Data
03-21-2011, 07:00 PM

:D

samanosuke
03-21-2011, 07:18 PM
tennis looks so right when nadal is at the top and djokovic following him and beginning to challenge him everywhere......the era of the spartans!

finally we have a rivalry......the spartan - sparbian rivalry.......party time.......

tangerine_dream
03-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Via Djordje Djokovic's twitter :p

http://twitter.com/djole_djokovic

Rafa: Hello, is this Roger?
Roger: Yeah its me Rafa, what's up?
Rafa: Roger, I think we got a problem!
Roger: I know buddy..trust me I know :-D

Pirao666
03-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Via Djordje Djokovic's twitter :p

http://twitter.com/djole_djokovic

Rafa: Hello, is this Roger?
Roger: Yeah its me Rafa, what's up?
Rafa: Roger, I think we got a problem!
Roger: I know buddy..trust me I know :-D

Lol. This year is going to be very entertaining :devil:

Big_Juicy
03-21-2011, 07:45 PM
:worship:

Mr. Oracle
03-21-2011, 07:47 PM
11 pages discussing an off the cuff comment? Every friday after a few beers, I will grab the person closest to me and say "you're the greatest." That comment can mean so many different things and without elaboration, its funny reading the comments turning this into an enigma.

barbadosan
03-21-2011, 07:47 PM

:haha: And the cat came back . . .

DrJules
03-21-2011, 07:57 PM

Certainly age for age Nadal is ahead of Federer and if he continues his current path he will eclipse Federer possibly winning 16 or more GS, winning several year end master titles, winning 25 or more master series titles, 250 plus weeks at number 1 and winning 70 plus tournaments.

However, that is potentially and feasibly what could happen, but nothing is set in stone. Alternatively it may be that he has peaked at an earlier age than Federer and he decines at an earlier age than Federer which may mean he falls significantly short of the achievements of Federer.

I agree with your assertion that Federer is very likely to either win no more GS titles and at best one more GS title and can easily see Nadal winning 2 GS a year for the next 3 years, but feel it could end there possibly 1 or 2 short.

I will retain an open mind until they retire, but currently would bet on Federer ending with more GS titles, year end masters titles and weeks at number 1, but expect Nadal to win more master series titles and general titles in total. That is I feel Federer will remain the greatest player of the open era, but if Nadal really can win another 7 or more GS then he deserves to be called the greatest possibly of the open and all eras.

Graffite
03-21-2011, 08:04 PM
I think most tennis watching kids would agree.

I don't know anyone under the age of 21 who like Federer and half the kids I teach tennis to aren't even aware he's won 5 slams let alone 16. It's all about Nadal for the youth, just like it was about Federer a few years ago and Sampras before that. Every generation will think the best player of their time is the best of ALL time.

Corey Feldman
03-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Nadal fanboy but more a case of him trying to stick it to Federer imo, but his bitterness just makes it funny to me

I think after the semis he said that Federer is the greatest ever.this

him and Nadal are just :help:

its like when Nadal wins a tournament and says its his fave tournament, he must have about 6 different fave tournamens

Corey Feldman
03-21-2011, 08:20 PM

there was no need to stay away for me when the mods did what was needed to be done.......they have to be appreciated for that.......:haha:

zcess81
03-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Nadal fanboy but more a case of him trying to stick it to Federer imo, but his bitterness just makes it funny to me

this

him and Nadal are just :help:

its like when Nadal wins a tournament and says its his fave tournament, he must have about 6 different fave tournamens

What exactly is he bitter about?...he's beaten Fed last 3 times. Had Nole said that after losing to Fed I'd see your point but now I just don't see it. Plus Fed's been known for his bitter post-match comments after losses (Nadal being one dimensional and all his Murray comments after losing to him). If anyone's bitter it's Fed. I remember how bitter he was after losing to Nadal at Wimbledon and Del Potro at USO.

Higher you climb harder you fall...it must be hard for Fed (or any other multi grand slam winner) losing to newer/faster/fitter generation. It happens to the very best...It may be hard to accept but nobody stays at the top forever.

recessional
03-21-2011, 08:23 PM

I don't know anyone under the age of 21 who like Federer and half the kids I teach tennis to aren't even aware he's won 5 slams let alone 16. It's all about Nadal for the youth, just like it was about Federer a few years ago and Sampras before that. Every generation will think the best player of their time is the best of ALL time.

i'm under the age of 21 and i like federer.

ExpectedWinner
03-21-2011, 08:26 PM
That comment can mean so many different things

Yes, for example, this statement could suggest Nadal will continue throwing him around like a rag doll in GS tournaments.

samanosuke
03-21-2011, 08:28 PM

The Facts:

and btw WTF are you now ?

duong
03-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Certainly age for age Nadal is ahead of Federer and if he continues his current path he will eclipse Federer possibly winning 16 or more GS, winning several year end master titles, winning 25 or more master series titles, 250 plus weeks at number 1 and winning 70 plus tournaments.

If we consider at the same age, Borg is ahead of both of them for the number of slams, and ahead of Nadal in my mind for the variety of the surfaces of his wins as he won tuns of tournaments on carpet including the "MAsters" twice (+ 2 finals) whereas Nadal would more than hate playing on carpet.

I know some will say that he didn't win the US Open, but imo playing and losing 3 finals in 4 years (from the moment it was played on hardcourts) to great Connors and McEnroe at home, one in 5 sets, is at least as good as what Nadal has made in grand slam hardcourts. Borg had no Australian open in that time.

Corey Feldman
03-21-2011, 08:42 PM
What exactly is he bitter about?...he's beaten Fed last 3 times. Had Nole said that after losing to Fed I'd see your point but now I just don't see it. he's bitter simply because he doesnt like Federer and hasnt done for years, influenced by his family and country... is barely any serbs i know who like Federer or have good words to say about him, jealousy is a terrible thing.

Nole's winning leads to cockyness and arrogant comments, he's paid the price for it in the past and if he's starting to make the same mistakes again, i'll sit back and watch him implode again :cool:

Sapeod
03-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Djokovic and Nadal wish they were as great as Federer.

Federer has 5 more slams than both of them put together :lol:

No to mention he is the GOAT.

zcess81
03-21-2011, 08:50 PM
he's bitter simply because he doesnt like Federer and hasnt done for years, influenced by his family and country... is barely any serbs i know who like Federer or have good words to say about him, jealousy is a terrible thing.

Nole's winning leads to cockyness and arrogant comments, he's paid the price for it in the past and if he's starting to make the same mistakes again, i'll sit back and watch him implode again :cool:

There is a difference between disliking someone and not bending over for someone. Back when Nole was making those "cocky comments" the rest of the tour (except Nadal) were bending over for Fed and he was having them for breakfast. Good for Nole (weather he was influenced by his family or not) for showing Fed he has belief to take it to him. He has always respected fed (he said it countless times) but he's never feared him. The fact that he wasn't bending over was the reason why FED always disliked Nole. So, it's not one way cockiness as you say. Nole played his part but Fed has done more than enough to deserve it. He is a sore loser (mono, bad back, bad light, bitching about del potro taking too much time, telling Nole off about ball bouncing, calling Nadal one dimensional, countless anti-murray comments etc etc etc). I will never forget when fed smashed his racket during that Miami match against Djokovic...there was A LOT of bitterness/hate there...Fed hasn't smashed a racket prior to that day in YEARS.

zcess81
03-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Djokovic and Nadal wish they were as great as Federer.

Federer has 5 more slams than both of them put together :lol:

No to mention he is the GOAT.

and 16 more than Murray

Corey Feldman
03-21-2011, 08:56 PM
I will never forget when fed smashed his racket during that Miami match against Djokovic...there was A LOT of bitterness/hate there...Fed hasn't smashed a racket prior to that day in YEARS.Fed was disgusted with his tennis by that stage in 2009, who could blame him.. gifting that match away to Nole who was in usual pusher/runner mode

anyway, Fed sorted it out in the next months winning RG, Wimbledon titles while Nole was losing 3rd rounds to Kohlschreiber, so no worries.

Graffite
03-21-2011, 08:58 PM
i'm under the age of 21 and i like federer.

Well I don't know you :p

I should have really said under 18s because I do know 2 people from uni who like Fed ;) but from my experience Federer isn't popular among younger casual fans. It might be a cultural thing, he doesn't really resonate with the young urban crowd. Nadal on the other hand can draw this out of someone who doesn't even watch tennis - "OMG! WHAT A BEAST! VAMOS!" - (Text from my friend)

zcess81
03-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Fed was disgusted with his tennis by that stage in 2009, who could blame him.. gifting that match away to Nole who was in usual pusher/runner mode

anyway, Fed sorted it out in the next months winning RG, Wimbledon titles while Nole was losing 3rd rounds to Kohlschreiber, so no worries.

He was disgusted with the fact that he was losing to Nole...why didn't he smash a racket while losing to other players that year? Why during match against Nole? He lost to Nadal many, many times but never smashed a racket (even after getting schooled at that FO final). Like I said, it's not as one sided as you make it sound. That was the most RAGE/HATE I've seen Fed exhibit on a tennis court, prior to that day he was Zen Master on a tennis court (you have to go to his junior/VERY early pro days to see similar behavior from him).

The fact is: he didn't like that this new kid on the block was not bending over for him like everyone else.

Sapeod
03-21-2011, 09:01 PM
and 16 more than Murray
I don't see why you had to bring Murray up.
He was disgusted with the fact that he was losing to Nole...why didn't he smash a racket while losing to other players that year? Why during match against Nole? Like I said, it's not as one sided as you make it sound.
He was disgusted by his tennis in that specific match :shrug:
Djokovic was also playing awful. Most of the other players who beat Roger that year played well, but not Djokovic. Federer was disgusted by the fact he was giving the match away to an awful opponent...

Vida
03-21-2011, 09:01 PM
he's bitter simply because he doesnt like Federer and hasnt done for years, influenced by his family and country... is barely any serbs i know who like Federer or have good words to say about him, jealousy is a terrible thing.

fed has a big fan base in serbia, as witnessed in forums and comments on articles in the press.

fed vs nole - in serbia? ... same shit as in here.

Corey Feldman
03-21-2011, 09:03 PM
He was disgusted with the fact that he was losing to Nole...why didn't he smash a racket while losing to other players that year? Why during match against Nole? Like I said, it's not as one sided as you make it sound.
what are you talking about, Fed was in turmoil early 2009... the Nadal AO Final meltdown was more famous than anything

for me the funniest part of 2009 is that turmoil was all worth it as Nadal and Nole blew themselves out and Fed cashed in on it in glorious style

he was on honeymoon sipping champagne while Nadal and Nole were destroying each other in clay matches :D

luie
03-21-2011, 09:03 PM
He was disgusted with the fact that he was losing to Nole...why didn't he smash a racket while losing to other players that year? Why during match against Nole? He lost to Nadal many, many times but never smashed a racket (even after getting schooled at that FO final). Like I said, it's not as one sided as you make it sound.
You overrate nole too much,, @ that point in time he was losing to Murray/novak/nadull,but more-so nadull @ slams,, Novak was just a third wheel @ the time.
The cool AO summer got nole hot in 2011.

zcess81
03-21-2011, 09:09 PM
I don't see why you had to bring Murray up.

He was disgusted by his tennis in that specific match :shrug:
Djokovic was also playing awful. Most of the other players who beat Roger that year played well, but not Djokovic. Federer was disgusted by the fact he was giving the match away to an awful opponent...

And why do you always keep bringing Fed's total slam count as a proof that Nadal + Nole are not as great as him? I can count you know, I know that 9 + 2 < 16...tell me something I don't know, kid. If you wanna play Mr.Obvious, I can too...ok, so, here we go: 16 > 9 > 2 > 0 Happy?

Commander Data
03-21-2011, 09:10 PM
The fact is: he didn't like that this new kid on the block was not bending over for him like everyone else.

BS! Fed knew he could demolish Nole with the play he used to have. The frustration about himself and his shit play made him smash the racket, of course it was even more painful to suck against the arrogant Djokovic clan. Have you watched the point where he smashed it. he was again in control and made some stupid UE, where he usually would have made the winner. I would also smash the racket seeing my own decline unfold in front of that smug family.

rafa_maniac
03-21-2011, 09:11 PM

In this interview after the semis he says Fed is the best in history(not the only time he said it either). I think what he means is that Fed is best results-wise and achievements but I think personally Novak finds Nadal(when Nadal's in good form) the toughest player he has ever played.He wears you down like no-one else, marathon rallies, loads of deuces on your service games.With Fed you get more of a breather.You can often hold serve games easily enough, where he won't be doing much with that chip return.Fed can also obviously turn it on and break you to love and run with it but often you can break him to love/15 too and there are generally more breathers, cheap points via shanks.When Nadal is in top form every point looks like a huge struggle and this must be very draining for the opponent.I think Novak personally has found him the toughest competitor to play

This is probably about right, he's never beaten Rafa in an important match before and he probably knows this win had as much to do with Nadal collapsing as him winning it so he's showing his respect. That and he's a fanboy like Murray :D

zcess81
03-21-2011, 09:11 PM
You overrate nole too much,, @ that point in time he was losing to Murray/novak/nadull,but more-so nadull @ slams,, Novak was just a third wheel @ the time.
The cool AO summer got nole hot in 2011.

In what sense?

At the moment he is 2nd best player in the world, behind Nadal. Fed is the best careerwise but right now he no.3 and might slip even further...how am I overrating Nole? Fed is not getting back that no.1 spot...I think it's time to let the dream go. This is not insult to fed/his fans, just a wake up call, reality. His dominance is over and has been for a while now...it is as natural as breathing. He's nearly 30 years old...let him go. Present/Future is Nadal/Nole/Delpotro/possibly Murray/+ new youngsters like Raonic are coming up. Fed's time is coming to an end.

Commander Data
03-21-2011, 09:13 PM
he was on honeymoon sipping champagne while Nadal and Nole were destroying each other in clay matches :D

Fed style :cool:

Commander Data
03-21-2011, 09:14 PM
In what sense?

At the moment he is 2nd best player in the world, behind Nadal. Fed is the best careerwise but right now he no.3 and might slip even further...how am I overrating Nole?

Fed is not yet finished, he will have a big win this year. probably Wimbledon.

Corey Feldman
03-21-2011, 09:14 PM
The fact is: he didn't like that this new kid on the block was not bending over for him like everyone else.no one was bending over for Fed

i think you are imgining some Serbian Open tournament where Nole is [1] seed and the other 31 players are Troicki

Vida
03-21-2011, 09:18 PM
as far as I can see, only valid argument against nole are his confidence and fitness.

but if those two remain good, as they are now - watch out!

Sapeod
03-21-2011, 09:19 PM
And why do you always keep bringing Fed's total slam count as a proof that Nadal + Nole are not as great as him? I can count you know, I know that 9 + 2 < 16...tell me something I don't know, kid. If you wanna play Mr.Obvious, I can too...ok, so, here we go: 16 > 9 > 2 > 0 Happy?
Federer >>>> Nadal & Djokovic.

Federer = Greatest Of All Time.

:wavey:

zcess81
03-21-2011, 09:19 PM
BS! Fed knew he could demolish Nole with the play he used to have. The frustration about himself and his shit play made him smash the racket, of course it was even more painful to suck against the arrogant Djokovic clan. Have you watched the point where he smashed it. he was again in control and made some stupid UE, where he usually would have made the winner. I would also smash the racket seeing my own decline unfold in front of that smug family.

My point exactly...Fed was involved in PLENTY of matches where he sucked/losing when he shouldn't have been losing but he NEVER (not since VERY early days) smashed a racket or got nearly as upset. It was crystal clear: He was seething for losing to Nole. It's not the clan (i.e Nole's family), he despised/despises Nole too. He didn't smash that racked he turned it to dust...I never saw smash like that. Impressive to say the least.

Fedfanforever
03-21-2011, 09:21 PM

I'm 16 and know people under 21 that like Federer.

Corey Feldman
03-21-2011, 09:21 PM
yeah, Fed never smashed a racquet before that day

:lol: *slap*

luie
03-21-2011, 09:22 PM
In what sense?

At the moment he is 2nd best player in the world, behind Nadal. Fed is the best careerwise but right now he no.3 and might slip even further...how am I overrating Nole? Fed is not getting back that no.1 spot...I think it's time to let the dream go. This is not insult to fed/his fans, just a wake up call, reality. His dominance is over and has been for a while now...it is as natural as breathing. He's nearly 30 years old...let him go. Present/Future is Nadal/Nole/Delpotro/possibly Murray/+ new youngsters like Raonic are coming up. Fed's time is coming to an end.
Right now novak is the best in the world & HC,,however my comments were in reference to 2009,,nadull did the damage not novak prior,, just stating you overate novaks input into feds fustration in 2009.

Vida
djoker beat fed in practice aged 14.

thats when all the hate begun ;)

Nole Rules
Nole & Murray are Rafatards. That's pretty much a fact.:lol:

zcess81
03-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Fed is not yet finished, he will have a big win this year. probably Wimbledon.

Certainly not finished, he can still beat 90% of the tour, but he will never get back to no.1 imo. If he wins Wimbledon this year than I will be VERY impressed. I'm not gonna say no chance because there is a chance but I think it is very unlikely. Nadal is winning Wimbledon this year imo (unless he pulls out with injury).

tektonac

yep, Federer is too arrogant for their taste + Rafa never whines.

abraxas21

I should have really said under 18s because I do know 2 people from uni who like Fed ;) but from my experience Federer isn't popular among younger casual fans. It might be a cultural thing, he doesn't really resonate with the young urban crowd. Nadal on the other hand can draw this out of someone who doesn't even watch tennis - "OMG! WHAT A BEAST! VAMOS!" - (Text from my friend)

maybe nadal is for the inmature and casual tennis fans.

Nole Rules
03-21-2011, 09:25 PM
I remember that. Disrespectful to the former great players, probably Nole is the follower of theory that tennis started with Nadal appearance.

:dead:
:haha: :haha:

Filo V.
03-21-2011, 09:27 PM
So............where is the controversy?

luie
03-21-2011, 09:27 PM
It is in their interest that nadull is better than fed,,because they are closer in age,or similiar generation in terms of age.
If you speak to members of feds generation they would say fed because its in their interest,not fact.
In other words players always like to believe they competed against or lost to the BEST insert player here_____.

zcess81
03-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Right now novak is the best in the world & HC,,however my comments were in reference to 2009,,nadull did the damage not novak prior,, just stating you overate novaks input into feds fustration in 2009.

Yes, yes...Nadal did MOST damage and that is my point. If he should have broken his racket against ANYONE it should have been Nadal, not Djoko. The fact that he did that against nole just shows how much he dislikes him. I was only trying to prove that Nole disliking Fed is not one sided. Fed hated/still hates losing to Nole...more so than losing to Nadal imo.

Corey Feldman
03-21-2011, 09:31 PM
yep, Federer is too arrogant for their taste + Rafa never whines.obviously you dont remember Nadal amost killing a cameraman after losing to Soder at French Open

but fans of Nadole tend to have selective memories anyway

Nadal doesnt even like Nole, he loves Fed

Vida
03-21-2011, 09:33 PM
obviously you dont remember Nadal amost killing a cameraman after losing to Soder at French Open

but fans of Nadole tend to have selective memories anyway

Nadal doesnt even like Nole, he loves Fed

nah. he cant like fed more because they have nothing in common.

with djoker - everybody has something in common.

luie
03-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Yes, yes...Nadal did MOST damage and that is my point. If he should have broken his racket against ANYONE it should have been Nadal, not Djoko. The fact that he did that against nole just shows how much he dislikes him. I was only trying to prove that Nole disliking Fed is not one sided. Fed hated/still hates losing to Nole...more so than losing to Nadal imo.
I agree fed would rather lose to nadull than novak,even though a loss to nadull will hurt his legacy more in the long run,given that nadull beat him in his prime on clay.

LawrenceOfTennis
03-21-2011, 09:37 PM
so what if Djokovic say this and that? what changes because of that? nothing. Obviously it's a smart thing to talk about Nadal-Federer rivalry and put it into limelight, and during this taking the titles and keep imroving his game.Not bad. :)

Vida
03-21-2011, 09:38 PM
I agree fed would rather lose to nadull than novak,even though a loss to nadull will hurt his legacy more in the long run,given that nadull beat him in his prime on clay.

thats the main problem both fed and you guys have with all of this - too much obsession with legacy :shrug:

youre worried like hell somebody is going to taint all that - oh my! :lol:

its the main source of all the hate in here.

samanosuke
03-21-2011, 09:38 PM

spot on :yeah:

with the guy who last time told what he actually thinks 2 or 3 years ago( if we don't count moments of frustration like yesterday )it isn't hard to have something in common

Allez
03-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Well the problem is that Federer is not winning any big titles anymore and Nole just toys around with him these days. One can hardly blame Nole for forgetting what a great player Roger used to be. In tennis you're only as good as your last match. Nole would give Roger his due respect if he started winning slams again :p

NadalSharapova
03-21-2011, 09:40 PM
well he is, whats new?

zcess81
03-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Well the problem is that Federer is not winning any big titles anymore and Nole just toys around with him these days. One can hardly blame Nole for forgetting what a great player Roger used to be. In tennis you're only as good as your last match. Nole would give Roger his due respect if he started winning slams again :p

There is no way that Nole doesn't respect Fed. They may not be friends but he definitely respects him. If he didn't he wouldn't have beaten him in 3 slams so far. Fed might not like Nole but I'm sure he respects him/his game too.

duong
03-21-2011, 09:44 PM

1. that smashed racket had nothing to do with Djokovic, but with his game at the moment, that's obvious

2. the relationship between Fed and Djokovic was the topic of a thread recently, you should use the "search" function for it there were many explanations, esp about a Davis cup episode with Wawrinka and other episodes which are far more important than your conjectures.

Vida
03-21-2011, 09:45 PM
I can see it already. in a few years, when fed hits the commentary booth, virtually everything he's going to talk about is going to be, in one way or another, related to his legacy. I this, I that...

of course, he's going to pack it between the lines, just like his mind games he is such an expert at now.

and (some of) his fans are still going to defend him, and tell us black isnt black - its white.

duong
03-21-2011, 09:46 PM
nah. he cant like fed more because they have nothing in common.

I feel old, I have that in common with Fed, I know what it is feeling that and I support him also for that ;) :lol:

I like Djokovic but he's very different from me : he's a seducer :lol:

duong
03-21-2011, 09:47 PM
I can see it already. in a few years, when fed hits the commentary booth, virtually everything he's going to talk about is going to be, in one way or another, related to his legacy. I this, I that...

of course, he's going to pack it between the lines, just like his mind games he is such an expert at now.

and (some of) his fans are still going to defend him, and tell us black isnt black - its white.

keep on imagining about the devil incarnated which Fed is : and you speak about haters ... :lol:

luie
03-21-2011, 09:47 PM
thats the main problem both fed and you guys have with all of this - too much obsession with legacy :shrug:

youre worried like hell somebody is going to taint all that - oh my! :lol:

its the main source of all the hate in here.
Well fed days of winning major titles is all but over,so its just about him enjoying tennis & passing little milstones to his legacy before calling it quits.
The courts are slow & his ground game cannot keep up with young guns its finally over,, so in the coming years alot of fed fans will turn into "setsamprass" like characters to remain relevant,,its sad but thats how it goes sometimes.One needs something to hold on too especially if they see no-one with the game of fed to act as a substitute,,maybe dimitriov.who knows.
The tour is full off one-dimensional mugs that lack variety.

Nole Rules
03-21-2011, 09:55 PM
It is in their interest that nadull is better than fed,,because they are closer in age,or similiar generation in terms of age.
If you speak to members of feds generation they would say fed because its in their interest,not fact.
In other words players always like to believe they competed against or lost to the BEST insert player here_____.

Pretty much this. Enough said.

Mr. Oracle
03-21-2011, 09:59 PM
There is a difference between disliking someone and not bending over for someone. Back when Nole was making those "cocky comments" the rest of the tour (except Nadal) were bending over for Fed and he was having them for breakfast. Good for Nole (weather he was influenced by his family or not) for showing Fed he has belief to take it to him. He has always respected fed (he said it countless times) but he's never feared him. The fact that he wasn't bending over was the reason why FED always disliked Nole. So, it's not one way cockiness as you say. Nole played his part but Fed has done more than enough to deserve it. He is a sore loser (mono, bad back, bad light, bitching about del potro taking too much time, telling Nole off about ball bouncing, calling Nadal one dimensional, countless anti-murray comments etc etc etc). I will never forget when fed smashed his racket during that Miami match against Djokovic...there was A LOT of bitterness/hate there...Fed hasn't smashed a racket prior to that day in YEARS.

sounds pretty darn sensible to me! this is ochams razor in action, where the simplest explanation is the correct one. this is as simple as it comes. frauderer's arrogance knows no limits and too bad for him joker wasn't afraid to tell him he'd be the new boss in a few years! and behold, this is exactly how it's played out!

Vida
03-21-2011, 10:02 PM
sounds pretty darn sensible to me! this is ochams razor in action, where the simplest explanation is the correct one. this is as simple as it comes. frauderer's arrogance knows no limits and too bad for him joker wasn't afraid to tell him he'd be the new boss in a few years! and behold, this is exactly how it's played out!

although, should be said, same thing djoker said to fed cost him the confidence he had - thus the 3 year long slump.

of course, had he not had the attitude he had back than, he would not be where he is now.

SheepleBuster
03-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Always knew he was a Nadal fanboy. No surprises there.

Nadal may or may not become the best ever. But Novak always remains a brat. A clown.... as a tennis player he is superbly talented. As a human being, he is cocky, disrespectful (the way he yells in front of Nadal or Fed when he wins matches), and to be honest I hope he just disappears once his run is over. He is not the type of guy to represent tennis. I mean look how respectful Rafa is, and I am a no fan of his. Even Murray is more respectful than Djokovic. Then again, Djokovic's family are not exactly saints either.

This is just his opinion. And nobody really cares about this silly GOAT discussion anyway.

abraxas21
03-21-2011, 10:10 PM

the boss at what exactly?

is djokovic the world number 1? has he ever?

the only thing djokovic is the boss at is at faking injuries and talking BS.

michellej
03-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Nadal's comment on the GOAT comment? "That was really stupid" eurosport.co.uk

Mr. Oracle
03-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Nadal may or may not become the best ever. But Novak always remains a brat. A clown.... as a tennis player he is superbly talented. As a human being, he is cocky, disrespectful (the way he yells in front of Nadal or Fed when he wins matches), and to be honest I hope he just disappears once his run is over. He is not the type of guy to represent tennis. I mean look how respectful Rafa is, and I am a no fan of his. Even Murray is more respectful than Djokovic. Then again, Djokovic's family are not exactly saints either.

This is just his opinion. And nobody really cares about this silly GOAT discussion anyway.

You probably wouldn't have liked Nastase either, but I loved the guy because he was so interesting and didn't hide how he felt. Yeah so Joker is extremely emotional and doesn't care much for the british stiff upper lip type of repression, he has a lot of fans for that reason. You're not forced to join.

You conveniently left out that Joker is one of the most gracious players in defeat both handshake wise and post match interview. Compare that to diva Fed and go and have a look at how he dissed daveydenko at the net or what he said about berdych after he lost to him etc.

"(the way he yells in front of Nadal or Fed when he wins matches)"

Yo bro, have you ever seen rafa or fed roll around in the grass and clay after a victory like heifers? I have. Looks like you are ignoring rafa's celebrations where he pretends he's a matador and he's stabbing the bull? I think its great. But you take issue with Joker's primal scream because you don't like him. How transparent your envy/hate is bro...

Mr. Oracle
03-21-2011, 10:21 PM
although, should be said, same thing djoker said to fed cost him the confidence he had - thus the 3 year long slump.

of course, had he not had the attitude he had back than, he would not be where he is now.

I think there are many reasons why Nole imploded but I agree, when you publicly state your high expectations for yourself, its a mofo when you hit a slump.

BigJohn
03-21-2011, 10:54 PM
When he used to say things like that 3 years ago, the excuse was he's young and stupid. Well he's not young anymore...

FEDERERBEAUTY
03-21-2011, 11:22 PM
'To me you are the greatest ever.....but i've just given you a right stuffing in the 3rd set, so great am I?'
Read that way it's not so much a compliment.

One can analyze a comment like this to death any which and come to whatever conclusion you like depending on whether you're a Federer fan or a Nadal one ............or you can just take it as a throw away comment made in the heat of victory and good feeling with no great subtext.

FEDERERBEAUTY
03-21-2011, 11:28 PM

Lol. Tennis players don't resonate with the youg urban crowd. Period. The only tennis player who has ever truly crossed over into popular culture is McEnroe.

Matt01
03-21-2011, 11:35 PM

Aren't you a Federer fan? Quite funny. Djoker is very respectful to players like Murray and Nadal. To Federer probably not so much...no wonder after all the trash Federer said about Djokovic in the past.

Vida
03-22-2011, 12:01 AM
When he used to say things like that 3 years ago, the excuse was he's young and stupid. Well he's not young anymore...

I see your point :scared: :lol:

we shall see...

freeandlonely
03-22-2011, 12:08 AM
It's too hot in Indian Wells.

rocketassist
03-22-2011, 12:21 AM
Aren't you a Federer fan? Quite funny. Djoker is very respectful to players like Murray and Nadal. To Federer probably not so much...no wonder after all the trash Federer said about Djokovic in the past.

Not quite.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/4303579/Andy-Murrays-Australian-Open-favourite-tag-riles-Novak-Djokovic.html

http://sport.uk.msn.com/tennis/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=155999240

GlennMirnyi
03-22-2011, 01:46 AM
good that you mention it. your science understanding has been obvious in that thread :lol:

You could only dream of achieving such a high degree of intelligence.

No, nobody could invent such aberrations.

Pirata.
03-22-2011, 02:06 AM
Federer has been called arrogant for years for being confident in his own abilities as a tennis player, and alternately, some pretty questionable comments regarding his rivals, especially the younger guys, but now people worship Novak for saying things that are just as, if not more arrogant. Unbelievable :rolleyes:

Matt01
03-22-2011, 02:20 AM
Federer has been called arrogant for years for being confident in his own abilities as a tennis player, and alternately, some pretty questionable comments regarding his rivals, especially the younger guys, but now people worship Novak for saying things that are just as, if not more arrogant. Unbelievable :rolleyes:

How is saying 'For me Rafael Nadal is the greatest player ever' arrogant? :rolleyes: If anything, it's very nice and respectful.

GlennMirnyi
03-22-2011, 02:25 AM
I don't think that sentence comes from arrogance. I think it comes from stupidity.

tektonac
03-22-2011, 03:01 AM

Novak's opinion is that Rafa is the best ever .... Roger's opinion is that Roger is the best ever ... Who is arrogant here? At the end of the day it is just Novak's personal opinion. A computer software simulation showed recently that Connors is the best ever actually. Is Filippo Radicchi arrogant as well or just the machine that ran the simulation? :scratch:

Seingeist
03-22-2011, 03:02 AM
Not quite.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/4303579/Andy-Murrays-Australian-Open-favourite-tag-riles-Novak-Djokovic.html

http://sport.uk.msn.com/tennis/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=155999240

Since most people aren't going to read your linked articles, you probably think you're getting away with something here.

I could not find a shred of anything even remotely resembling a lack of respect in the second article. :confused: What are you on?

And the first article was simply Djokovic (in 2009) expressing some exasperation that Murray was considered a heavier favorite for the AO title than himself (the defending champion). He did not sling a single disparaging remark at Murray as a player or individual. :shrug:

You're going to have to do better than that. You haters really ought to go cool off somewhere.

Branimir
03-22-2011, 03:43 AM
For me Federer is the greatest player ever, because in my opinion he played the prettiest tennis ever.
Now you could argue that Nadal is greatest ever because head to head he is better than Federer. Fed didn't have 9 slams by age of 24.

Start da Game
03-22-2011, 06:00 AM
Since most people aren't going to read your linked articles, you probably think you're getting away with something here.

I could not find a shred of anything even remotely resembling a lack of respect in the second article. :confused: What are you on?

And the first article was simply Djokovic (in 2009) expressing some exasperation that Murray was considered a heavier favorite for the AO title than himself (the defending champion). He did not sling a single disparaging remark at Murray as a player or individual. :shrug:

You're going to have to do better than that. You haters really ought to go cool off somewhere.

no one reads them because that's uk media.......

fast_clay
03-22-2011, 06:07 AM

rafa is not that respectful... he just say right thing, good thing for of camera at end of match, no...? es good be like, no...? good for me, good for toni, good for sponsor, good for eberebody, es what i think no...?
2fYDIUOU0ns

Start da Game
03-22-2011, 06:31 AM
rafa is not that respectful... he just say right thing, good thing for of camera at end of match, no...? es good be like, no...? good for me, good for toni, good for sponsor, good for eberebody, es what i think no...?
2fYDIUOU0ns

that's a dumb decision from the chair and even you know it......

duong
03-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Roger's opinion is that Roger is the best ever

WHERE WHERE did he say that ?

so many people here say that, but why ? what info do you have on that topic ?

all the infos I've got I gave them in several posts, and Fed from what I know has never said anything else than "I'm happy to be part among the greatest".

And contrary to all the younsgsters speaking in this thread, Fed highly respects the champions of the past.

GlennMirnyi
03-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Start da fail, go back to your self-exile and do a favour for humanity.