Which defeat is more bitter? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which defeat is more bitter?

Voo de Mar
03-19-2011, 01:06 AM
Inspired by abollo's thread ;)

- In the first case you lead 5:2 in the final set tie-break with two serves to come but you lose the match without having a match point.

- In the second case you've got one match point on return (no break advantage) and you lose the match.

Roamed
03-19-2011, 01:08 AM
First one is worse in my opinion, you'd expect yourself to win more in that situation than in the second I think :)

Sonja1989
03-19-2011, 01:08 AM
First case is much worse I think. But both bad of course.

ApproachShot
03-19-2011, 01:09 AM
This is really tricky. I will go with the second; it can be very demoralising to lose a match having held a match point.

Voo de Mar
03-19-2011, 01:10 AM
First one is worse in my opinion, you'd expect yourself to win more in that situation than in the second I think :)

I think it's a tricky comparison, in the first case you've got the match in your hands whilst in the second, a lot of depends of the server, but on the other hand in the first case you're two points away, so one point farther than in the second case :D

I was wondering about it two days ago and I'm not sure.

FlameOn
03-19-2011, 01:47 AM
Defeat from 6-2 up. Ask Verdasco.

Arakasi
03-19-2011, 02:02 AM
It's hard to say because it depends on the manner in which you lose the points. If your opponent hits a 145mph ace in scenario 2 I don't think you can be that depressed about it. Whereas if have the open court and dump a forehand into the net that will be a lot harder to handle.

I think it also depends on how good a server you are. A good server would be devastated to lose from 5-2 up in the final set TB.

n8
03-19-2011, 02:09 AM
I think the first one is worse. You have two mini breaks! If it was 5-2 but the other player's serve then it would be closer.

Young 8
03-19-2011, 02:11 AM
Is this a serious question ?

In the 1st case you CHOKED

Mountaindewslave
03-19-2011, 02:25 AM

^^^my thoughts exactly; one is a loss by the hands of your opponent and the other is a loss from your own hands. Certainly being responsible for losing it is worse

Voo de Mar
03-19-2011, 02:48 AM

Of course the question is serious, you know I've been keeping the MTF thread about 'match points' for years, but in the meantime I began to collect matches with 'two points away' for a much more clearer picture of players' mental weakness / resistance. There are many different configurations with tennis scoreline so the information about a match point saved, doesn't always give you the whole picture what would have happened on the court.

At the most simplistic assumption, being one point away from a win is the closest way to take the victory, but I think in some cases you're closer being two points away, and the cases which I proposed in the poll seem to be well balanced.

With 5:1 or 5:0 in the final set tie-break the thing is much more clear to me no matter who's going to serve.

Johnny Groove
03-19-2011, 03:10 AM
Yes, the first scenario is way worse. Huge choke, could haunt a player's career. Example PHM.

The second scenario I can live with, since on opponent's serve, it is tough to break anyway. Even if I lose, I can say it was close and I had my chance :shrug:

Both suck, btw. More preferable would be winning!

http://thepolyman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/how-charlie-sheen-is-winning-with-tiger-blood.jpg

abollo
03-19-2011, 09:28 AM
What an inspiration :p
I guess the first one worse because in the second one you were receiving not serving