Gasquet says Djokovic has the best return, ahead of Nadal and Federer [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Gasquet says Djokovic has the best return, ahead of Nadal and Federer

Nole fan
03-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Gasquet rates Nole’s return as the best:

“He returns incredible, that’s for sure,” the 24-year-old Frenchman said. “So to make some (service) points for myself is really difficult. That’s why he broke me a lot of times.

“That’s a big weapon for me, the serve, and I couldn’t (win) points with it. For me, Djokovic has the best return. Compared to Rafa (Nadal) and Roger, he has the best return.”

Does this solve the debate?

Filo V.
03-18-2011, 10:27 PM
It's only his opinion, but personally I agree with him. Of the big 3, Nole is the best returner.

KaiserT
03-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Did it need solving?

Murray (when he's not slumping) has a better return than Fed and Nadal too, as does Ferrer and possibly a few others.

oranges
03-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Federer and Nadal are not the best returners anyway, so it's not exactly news. I still rate Murray clearly above in general, though not at this particular point in time.

Certinfy
03-18-2011, 10:30 PM
He's by far a better returner than both Nadal and Federer, does this even need to be discussed? Nadal's and Federer's return of serves are horrible now compared to what they were a few years ago.

Arkulari
03-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Duh of course that is true, we all have known that for a while.

Johnny Groove
03-18-2011, 10:51 PM
As of March 18, 2011, yes.

Sillyrabbit
03-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Pfft, not as insightful as Tsonga's Fedal era is over opinion.

Li Ching Yuen
03-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Been saying it all along.

Sonja1989
03-18-2011, 11:06 PM
If Gasquet think this...

/Isner said in last year the best return has Murray../

alter ego
03-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Was this an issue or something?

Vida
03-18-2011, 11:07 PM
this topic, how ever meaningless, should be discussed on MTF, if for no other reason, than for opinion of some delusional clowns who believe murray has the better return game than nole.

other than that, its a non issue.

Li Ching Yuen
03-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Isner said that because Murray gets a lot of balls back and he doesn't have a clue what to do with them.

Djokovic is an aggressive returner which means that if he gets a good look on the ball, you're fucked as the server.

The second scenario is much more dangerous because it's completely out of your hands.

timafi
03-18-2011, 11:10 PM
it's the cocaine talking:tape:

Pirata.
03-18-2011, 11:11 PM
Ferrer has the best return.

jonathancrane
03-18-2011, 11:12 PM

“He returns incredible, that’s for sure,” the 24-year-old Frenchman said. “So to make some (service) points for myself is really difficult. That’s why he broke me a lot of times.

“That’s a big weapon for me, the serve, and I couldn’t (win) points with it. For me, Djokovic has the best return. Compared to Rafa (Nadal) and Roger, he has the best return.”

What debate?
It's pretty obvious

Li Ching Yuen
03-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Ferrer has the best return.

Of course. That's why he has that wonderful record against Soderling, who's not even the best server around.

BodyServe
03-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks captain obvious.

DrJules
03-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Interestingly Peter Fleming on Sky Sports just said Federer was the most difficult player to ace.

Not sure I agree these days, but he was the best returner circa 2004-2007 inclusive.

Nadal has never been one of the best returners of serve.

Currently, as in 2011, Djokovic is the best returner of serve.

alter ego
03-18-2011, 11:24 PM
this topic, how ever meaningless, should be discussed on MTF, if for no other reason, than for opinion of some delusional clowns who believe murray has the better return game than nole.

other than that, its a non issue.

So you actually think your opinion is more close to the truth than Isner's. :lol:

Vida
03-18-2011, 11:25 PM
So you actually think your opinion is more close to the truth than Isner's. :lol:

yes :yeah:

rafa_maniac
03-18-2011, 11:28 PM
Nowadays, on a HC? Absolutely.

Snowwy
03-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Interestingly Peter Fleming on Sky Sports just said Federer was the most difficult player to ace.

Not sure I agree these days, but he was the best returner circa 2004-2007 inclusive.

Except from 2005 til now on clay.

BodyServe
03-18-2011, 11:36 PM

This has nothing to do with returning skills, it's about time reaction and reach.

BodyServe
03-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Except from 2005 til now on clay.

It's because he wins rallies that follow the return, it has nothing to do with the return.

Certinfy
03-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Peter :retard:

abraxas21
03-18-2011, 11:47 PM
maybe richie sniffed another line before the press conference

no, but seriously... nole's got a good ROS. I think murray's better at it but like oranges said, not at this time.

pecking order of the top 5 when it comes to ROS:

1- murray
2- faker
3- nadull
4- federer
5- soda

Allez
03-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Please name and shame those who thought otherwise. I wasn't aware of any debate on this :shrug:

MalwareDie
03-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Nothing groundbreaking at all about the comment. Djokovic is currently returning better than Nadal and Federer.

philosophicalarf
03-19-2011, 12:16 AM
Isner said that because Murray gets a lot of balls back and he doesn't have a clue what to do with them.

Djokovic is an aggressive returner which means that if he gets a good look on the ball, you're fucked as the server.

He's a better returner than Murray on slow stuff, but that's a different argument really: both get nearly everything back there, but Djokovic does more with it on the forehand side. On the faster stuff, Djokovic gets less back than Murray does.

rubbERR
03-19-2011, 12:18 AM
Gasquet barely served any of his serves ove 120+ mph today, no wonder he returned easily :lol:

Sapeod
03-19-2011, 12:20 AM
:haha:

yuri27
03-19-2011, 12:21 AM
maybe richie sniffed another line before the press conference

no, but seriously... nole's got a good ROS. I think murray's better at it but like oranges said, not at this time.

pecking order of the top 5 when it comes to ROS:

1- murray
2- faker
3- nadull
4- federer
5- soda

Murray's ROS didn't seem to bother Gasquet at all each time they played each other.
Djoker's ROS on the other hand.......
This said,i think that when he is on,Nalbandian's got the best ROS,especially from BH side.
He is really the one who reminds me Agassi the most there.

shuhrat
03-19-2011, 01:33 AM

I think he made it clearer with "for me". What he's saying here is that he feels Nole is the best returner "of his serve". He might mean more than that though.

Anyway it's just one player's opinion. I bet Roddick/Karlovic/Llodra won't agree about it. :p

paseo
03-19-2011, 01:41 AM
I think he made it clearer with "for me". What he's saying here is that he feels Nole is the best returner "of his serve". He might mean more than that though.

Anyway it's just one player's opinion. I bet Roddick/Karlovic/Llodra won't agree about it. :p

Yep. They, especially Roddick, would say Fed.

fast_clay
03-19-2011, 01:53 AM
nadal and federer play out just as many points, if not more at times, on return games than djokovic and murray... just that, murray and especially current djokovic can repeatedly damage an opponent with it...

nadal and federer's return keep it in play just as much but, relatively speaking, they surrender control of the rally a hell of a lot more behind their returns... which is par for the course and no dramas...

fed's clockwork service holds and nadal constant high intensity are the major factors each use to build pressure and force a break... imo of course..

Nole fan
03-19-2011, 01:55 AM

No, he's not saying only 'his return'. I don't understand it like that. He clearly says he has the best return of them, period.

zlaja777
03-19-2011, 01:57 AM
The way he returned today, just amazing.

Arakasi
03-19-2011, 02:13 AM
Djokovic's return is definitely better than Federer's and Nadal's nowadays. Nadal's return has never been that good really.

I've heard many big servers say that actually. I know that Ljubicic has said it many times.

I don't think it's true nowadays but in his heyday I would definitely agree. His second serve return was never that special but on the first serve he could get the bombs back in play better than anyone in my opinion.

Topspindoctor
03-19-2011, 02:19 AM
Djoker's return IS best in the game right now, he can return almost any first serve into play and has brutal second serve return. Olderer shanks way too many serve returns, especially on BH side and Nadal tends to stay too far behind the baseline, so even if he returns the ball in play, it tends to drop too short giving his opponent control of the rally. Both Nadal and Olderer are too passive on second serves as well.

Nole fan
03-19-2011, 03:39 AM
I see the complete quote was:

“All three players are incredible, for sure. Djokovic has the best return. Compared to Rafa and Roger, he has the best return. They can [beat] everybody. Djokovic can beat Nadal and Federer; Federer can beat Rafa and Djoko".

rocketassist
03-19-2011, 03:57 AM
Still don't think his return is that amazing. Murray, Federer, Nalbandian, Hewitt, Ferrer, just five I rate higher.

Djokovic hasn't played any big servers in ages, and never does, just grinders, so his return points make him seem better.

BTW Nadull isn't even top 50 for return of serve

GlennMirnyi
03-19-2011, 04:04 AM
Gasquet's serve a main weapon? :haha: :haha:

FormerRafaFan
03-19-2011, 11:09 AM
I agree. He's probably the best returner on the tour right now and I honestly think he's playing better than both Rafa and Fed. Nobody can challenge Nole the way he's playing these days..

Nadull_tard
03-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Drop those drugs, Richie. Federer has never been a really good returner, even in dominance era.
He was reading only Roddick's serve perfectly.

ossie
03-19-2011, 11:37 AM
sounds like a bad case of 'my opponent owned me so hard he must be the best player in the world' syndrome.

nsidhan
03-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Maybe he meant Nole reads serve really well and attacks it instead of just getting it back in play. The other great returners don't get aced that much and get the ball back in play but Nole attacks it like no other that puts him in control of the point :shrug:.

Blackbriar
03-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Gasquet always tell the truth, he is not the kind of guys who says i" will play no limit" "i will make something great in 2011" "something big is coming" and all these delirious comments before being busted on court.

tribalfusion
03-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Still don't think his return is that amazing. Murray, Federer, Nalbandian, Hewitt, Ferrer, just five I rate higher.

Djokovic hasn't played any big servers in ages, and never does, just grinders, so his return points make him seem better.

BTW Nadull isn't even top 50 for return of serve

Dude you just get worse with each day.

Djokovic has a great return of serve and even with your hatred of all things Nadal you are really pushing it with not "even top 50 for return"

I mean, seriously; the guy is #2 and #1 for 1st and 2nd serve return points won respectively and #1 for return games won in the ATP. You can't manage that by being the 75th best returner of serve

Get a clue.

l_mac
03-19-2011, 12:08 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha:

rocketassist
03-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Dude you just get worse with each day.

Djokovic has a great return of serve and even with your hatred of all things Nadal you are really pushing it with not "even top 50 for return"

I mean, seriously; the guy is #2 and #1 for 1st and 2nd serve return points won respectively and #1 for return games won in the ATP. You can't manage that by being the 75th best returner of serve

Get a clue.

Those stats are masked by the amount of clay court matches he wins where the serve is pretty much neutralised and also the amount of slow homogenized courts in general.

Just check out matches at Queen's, a proper FAST court, where the likes of Karlovic, LaLo, Mahut etc have basically serve-bombed him out of there (he failed to break them) and also indoors where he's won one title in his whole career and doesn't turn up to places like Bercy where he will shank just about every 1st serve return.

Aside from the 5 I mentioned, there's plenty with a better return than his. It's just courts today make it much easier for players to return serves.

Sonja1989
03-19-2011, 12:11 PM
So big, Gasquet say it after the slowest court...

l_mac
03-19-2011, 12:19 PM

That's because he gets a lot of returns back in play, and he's great in rallies.

As a stand-alone shot, his ROS isn't great. He can be very aggressive on return, but he does this very, very rarely, certainly nowhere near often enough for it to be a weapon. His game works for him. He has 9 slams, 42 titles and 88 weeks at #1. You don't have to be so defensive over every hater comment :rolleyes:

l_mac
03-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Those stats are masked by the amount of clay court matches he wins where the serve is pretty much neutralised

He hasn't played on clay this year :lol:

samanosuke
03-19-2011, 12:29 PM
I am really tired of your spamming the GM with bunch of crap articles which glorifying nole . try to imagine how would look if every tard on this forum opens a new thread when anybody on planet Earth says something about his God . We all know that nole is your idol and there is no point in hiding your own thoughts behind somebody's other sentence every time . rather say it openly fuck you all , nole is the man so we can finish this once and for all

Sonja1989
03-19-2011, 12:36 PM
I am really tired of your spamming the GM with bunch of crap articles which glorifying nole . try to imagine how would look if every tard on this forum opens a new thread when anybody on planet Earth says something about his God . We all know that nole is your idol and there is no point in hiding your own thoughts behind somebody's other sentence every time . rather say it openly fuck you all , nole is the man so we can finish this once and for all

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to samanosuke again." :)

l_mac
03-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Just check out matches at Queen's, a proper FAST court, where the likes of Karlovic, LaLo, Mahut etc have basically serve-bombed him out of there (he failed to break them) and also indoors where he's won one title in his whole career and doesn't turn up to places like Bercy where he will shank just about every 1st serve return.

Oh, be fair! He beat Roddick and Karlovic the year he won Queens :ras:

rocketassist
03-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Oh, be fair! He beat Roddick and Karlovic the year he won Queens :ras:

He did beat Karlovic but he never got anywhere close to breaking him, it was three TBs, was like a Karlo-Isner match in terms of return points won.

locyka19
03-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Gasquet's extremely overrated player. Hasn't achieved any significant yet despite his age.

l_mac
03-19-2011, 12:40 PM
He did beat Karlovic but he never got anywhere close to breaking him, it was three TBs, was like a Karlo-Isner match in terms of return points won.

He had 2 bps :ras: Don't think I didn't check :sport:

And he broke Roddick twice :D

edit: I don't think we're disagreeing :lol: Rafa's ROS isn't a weapon, but whatever he's doing works for him.

.-Federers_Mate-.
03-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Who cares what Gasquet thinks. I'm over his crap. Pull yourself together or retire. His match vs Novak was the definition of dire. No fight, no confidence no energy and i'm sick of it. The Gasquet of old would never say crap like this, how pathetic. Would help if grew some balls and stood closer to the baseline and worked on that limp FH off his because his talent is going to waste. Not expecting much next week since it's his meet up sesh.

Now that Roger has lost his anticipation and quick feet and thus his return i'd say Murray is the best returner is the game. Novak can return well when others are off there game but when he meets a guy who is playing well he cant return for shit. With Murray it's a different story.

Hope this helps.

NikolaBGD
03-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Who cares what Gasquet thinks. I'm over his crap. Pull yourself together or retire. His match vs Novak was the definition of dire. No fight, no confidence no energy and i'm sick of it. The Gasquet of old would never say crap like this, how pathetic. Would help if grew some balls and stood closer to the baseline and worked on that limp FH off his because his talent is going to waste. Not expecting much next week since it's his meet up sesh.

Now that Roger has lost his anticipation and quick feet and thus his return i'd say Murray is the best returner is the game. Novak can return well when others are off there game but when he meets a guy who is playing well he cant return for shit. With Murray it's a different story.

Hope this helps.

Blind fedtard like always:p

Did you look any Novak match this year... His ROS is unbelievable, makes every serve ordinary, especially Fed serve.

You, and haters like you never give Novak a credit, because you are afraid of him, scare to death, another loss for your idol will be devastating:)

locyka19
03-19-2011, 01:02 PM

Did you look any Novak match this year... His ROS is unbelievable, makes every serve ordinary, especially Fed serve.

You, and haters like you never give Novak a credit, because you are afraid of him, scare to death, another loss for your idol will be devastating:)

It's shocking how many trolls using this forum. Since the aussie open Djokovic's fans number has duplicated and all of them are arrogant too. Hate this hype. He's a great player...but come on he can't be the best in every part of the game

.-Federers_Mate-.
03-19-2011, 01:08 PM

I have seen him play more than you have this year. His return in great but not the best. He lacks that something special that makes it a standout shot.This year I have even seen Novak live a few times and have met him, talked with him and had my picture taken with him. Now top that big man.

I'll give Novak credit when it's due. Right now he's number one. I wont deny that, he is playing better tennis than everyone inc Rog. If Roger loses and the gap goes to 14-8 or something like that (lol) i wont give a fuck. Novak is playing the best tennis of career whilst Roger is in free fall the way you react tells me that you arnt convinced if Novak can keep up his level of play.

Roger has nothing to prove anymore. He's done it all. Novak HASN'T. A loss for Novak will be devastating because it shows he is back to square one all over again.

Vida
03-19-2011, 01:09 PM
It's shocking how many trolls using this forum. Since the aussie open Djokovic's fans number has duplicated and all of them are arrogant too. Hate this hype. He's a great player...but come on he can't be the best in every part of the game

he isnt. maybe ROS, BH and movement on hard courts, his are really the best, but having no weakness and playing at that level, thats what makes him so special. no player like that :shrug:

NikolaBGD
03-19-2011, 01:20 PM

:worship:

Look your and my join date ;)

I looked Djokovic 2003 in Belgrade, state championship, when few Serbs even heard about him... trolls, fans, hype...leave that words for someone else.

I only answer to this fedtard and many others who always underestimate Novak talent, results, never give him a credit, hyping Murray...

I respect Fed and Nadal, never a bad word about them:wavey:

rocketassist
03-19-2011, 01:20 PM
he isnt. maybe ROS, BH and movement on hard courts, his are really the best, but having no weakness and playing at that level, thats what makes him so special. no player like that :shrug:

He does have weaknesses- the 2nd serve ain't great, and his ROS and BH are not the best on tour. Try to take those fanboy specs off sometimes.

Vida
03-19-2011, 01:31 PM
He does have weaknesses- the 2nd serve ain't great, and his ROS and BH are not the best on tour. Try to take those fanboy specs off sometimes.

are you stupid or what?

since when does 'weakness' mean 'it aint great'?
and since when when does 'not a weakness' mean 'best on tour'?

:rolleyes: godamit man...

no other player is so well rounded (no weakness), ask anybody.

or better, watch djoker play.

bokehlicious
03-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Pussypic wetting her panties once again.... :zzz: :zzz:

Lopez
03-19-2011, 02:29 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to l_mac again" :sad:

As for the main question, yes it definitely solves the debate on who Gasquet finds has the best return at the moment from Federer, Nadal and Djokovic :yeah:

Nole fan
03-19-2011, 02:41 PM

Says the one who has joined in january 2011. :rolleyes:
All the nole fans posting in these threads have been around for long, just look at the dates when they joined.
I see you're another sad and bitter federer fan. :o

Nole fan
03-19-2011, 02:48 PM
I have seen him play more than you have this year. His return in great but not the best. He lacks that something special that makes it a standout shot.This year I have even seen Novak live a few times and have met him, talked with him and had my picture taken with him. Now top that big man.

I'll give Novak credit when it's due. Right now he's number one. I wont deny that, he is playing better tennis than everyone inc Rog. If Roger loses and the gap goes to 14-8 or something like that (lol) i wont give a fuck. Novak is playing the best tennis of career whilst Roger is in free fall the way you react tells me that you arnt convinced if Novak can keep up his level of play.

Roger has nothing to prove anymore. He's done it all. Novak HASN'T. A loss for Novak will be devastating because it shows he is back to square one all over again.

Since when having a loss means being back to square one all over again? You're pathetic. :lol:
Of course he will lose sooner or later, it's only human. He's not gonna win forever. That doesn't mean that he won't be one of the favorites to win every tournament he enters. :shrug:
Uh i don't even know why i try to discuss with you, i'm giving you too much credit.

l_mac
03-19-2011, 02:52 PM
All the nole fans posting in these threads have been around for long, just look at the dates when they joined.

And they're arrogant, delusional and, in some cases :D, really ignorant. More so than the Fedtards and Rafatards.

I guess that settles the debate :yeah:

Priam
03-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Oh this settles everything.

bokehlicious
03-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Can't wait for either Roger or Rafa to spank the overrated 2 slam wonder, might tone down the delusional tards for a bit :rolleyes: :zzz:

Allez
03-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Can't wait for either Roger or Rafa to spank the overrated 2 slam wonder, might tone down the delusional tards for a bit :rolleyes: :zzz:

When did "Rafa" get in your good books :shrug: :wavey:

bokehlicious
03-19-2011, 03:57 PM
When did "Rafa" get in your good books :shrug: :wavey:

Some of his fans are cool, Djokovic fans on the other hand are as cocky as him... :zzz:

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
03-19-2011, 04:03 PM
i for one am glad finally someone has stepped up (at least on hard courts) with the ability to defeat the 2 kings of tennis

now he needs to get better on clay and grass

Tommy_Vercetti
03-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Well, if Gasquet said it, it must mean that it's an absolute truth.

Allez
03-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Gasquet is a truther :eek:

zeleni
03-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Of course he does.

nsidhan
03-19-2011, 04:46 PM
sounds like a bad case of 'my opponent owned me so hard he must be the best player in the world' syndrome.

Haha! That could be it too :yeah:

acionescu
03-19-2011, 04:53 PM

And I suppose this DOES end the debate :lol:

tribalfusion
03-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Those stats are masked by the amount of clay court matches he wins where the serve is pretty much neutralised and also the amount of slow homogenized courts in general.

Aside from the 5 I mentioned, there's plenty with a better return than his. It's just courts today make it much easier for players to return serves.

Hate to tell you bro but I have seen his matches at Queens, Wimbledon and on hards.

Nadal plays on all surfaces just like the rest of the big boys so the idea that his stats are simply doped by 4 clay tournaments is ridiculous.

He doesn't have the best return in the game but neither is it possible to be #1 and #2 in all the key return categories statistically simply because you are strong on clay...yet somehow without even being in the top 50 in returns anywhere else.

It shows how you roll with your weak era nonsense in general and pathological downgrading of Nadal in particular.

tribalfusion
03-19-2011, 05:40 PM
A loss for Novak will be devastating because it shows he is back to square one all over again.

Irrefutable logic.

Oh wait, no it isn't, it's your usual self-important crap about the players you don't like again.

Stick to daydreaming about Federer's chest hair and your new replacement Roger, Dimitrov.

Hope this helps :)

CCBH
03-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Maybe. BUt I think Fedal return is better on BPs/SPs/MPs in GS QFs/SFs/finals.