Joachim PimPim Johansson retires from Tennis [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Joachim PimPim Johansson retires from Tennis

henke007
03-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Official from Swedish Media and Eurosport.

He played a future after his DC successs and then left a WO in the 2nd round after playing 3 sets against some guy outside the top 1000. I guess he doesn't wanna humiliate himself anymore and realises he can't compete for the top rankings and just win a couple matches in DC and Sthlm Open tops.

He also has a familly and a baby back home so :angel:

Thank you PimPim for everything :worship:

duong
03-18-2011, 11:56 AM
the explanation about "humiliation" sounds strange to me : he had won that match (67 63 64 if I remember) !

And he had beaten Gabashvili in 3 sets before in Davis cup !

Are you sure of your information and explanation ?

If it was about another injury (he had a walkover in next match), then I could easily understand as he has paid his toll to these.

Anyway if your information is correct then good luck for him for the future, his family and working plans :)

scoobs
03-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Again?

Dmitry Verdasco
03-18-2011, 12:04 PM
:bigcry:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40060000/jpg/_40060762_face_getty300.jpg

He was as good as retired anyway. Nice to see him win that match against Gabashvili in DC before he went. Still can't believe he went out with Jaslyn Hewitt though :lol: Yuck.

2004 US Open SF, 3 ATP and career high rank of #9. I'll miss you Pim Pim. :tears:

henke007
03-18-2011, 12:04 PM
the explanation about "humiliation" sounds strange to me : he had won that match (67 63 64 if I remember) !

And he had beaten Gabashvili in 3 sets before in Davis cup !

Are you sure of your information and explanation ?

If it was about another injury (he had a walkover in next match), then I could easily understand as he has paid his toll to these.

Anyway if your information is correct then good luck for him for the future, his family and working plans :)

Yes its official in Swedish media. He says he is done with this life in tennis. It has nothing to do with his shoulder or anything just the big mountain to climb in futures and challengers i guess.

Yes playing 3 sets against a guy born in 1993 ranked 1300 in a small tennishall is humiliating :o

Li Ching Yuen
03-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Really weak mental.

Recoveries are tough, he should've expected this. Serious lack of commitment.

Chris Kuerten
03-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Weird.

henke007
03-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Really weak mental.

Recoveries are tough, he should've expected this. Serious lack of commitment.

Well you gotta realise he has nothing to compete for on Clay and he has to put alot of effort in to win 18 P in some mug future.

Like a middle excecutive on SonyEricsson starting to sell phones in some mall.

Blackbriar
03-18-2011, 12:20 PM
well, now it will be very difficult for Soderling in QF.

Li Ching Yuen
03-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Well you gotta realise he has nothing to compete for on Clay and he has to put alot of effort in to win 18 P in some mug future.

Like a middle excecutive on SonyEricsson starting to sell phones in some mall.

That's no excuse. He has done it before so he had some reference to what he would've expected, and how tough the climb will be.

To me this just sounds like a guy with a serious lack of commitment, and that's more of a personal issue. Plenty of players have families and kids and they still manage to be on tour.

henke007
03-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Have they been injured the last 6 years and might be injured anytime again soon. Put that into the factor of playing tons of matches on Future and challenger level with the chance to loose to little boys on a bad day in a hall with 5 spectators :o

Agrajag
03-18-2011, 12:29 PM
That's no excuse. He has done it before so he had some reference to what he would've expected, and how tough the climb will be.

To me this just sounds like a guy with a serious lack of commitment, and that's more of a personal issue. Plenty of players have families and kids and they still manage to be on tour.

If that is his real reason, then I agree. I suspect there might be something else he doesn't want to share.

Either way I'm really disappointed. He said he was gonna make final serious attempt, and gave up without even hitting a small speedbump. Maybe he thought he would get WCs in some ATP events, and all the challengers he wanted. When he had to grind it out, it wasn't worth it at this stage in his life.

henke007
03-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Either way I'm really disappointed. He said he was gonna make final serious attempt, and gave up without even hitting a small speedbump. Maybe he thought he would get WCs in some ATP events, and all the challengers he wanted. When he had to grind it out, it wasn't worth it at this stage in his life.

Exactly

duong
03-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Yes its official in Swedish media. He says he is done with this life in tennis. It has nothing to do with his shoulder or anything just the big mountain to climb in futures and challengers i guess.

ok thanks good luck to him :wavey:

What I'm surprised about is that we had heard for 6 months that he was practicing to come back then it looked serious and he knew how many efforts he had to do.

ossie
03-18-2011, 12:34 PM
good for tennis

Li Ching Yuen
03-18-2011, 01:05 PM
So how does he make a living these days?...He's won something from his playing days but I'm sure that'll run out at some point.

This last attempt of a comeback sounds like a way to get something out of his tennis before it's too late. And it seems like that was not enough for him.

*Jean*
03-18-2011, 01:06 PM
3rd retirement ?

RIboy
03-18-2011, 01:07 PM
he had more farewell tours than Ozzie Osbourne...

iriraz
03-18-2011, 01:12 PM
He certainly has played well in DC but i don`t think he is able to sustain a high level for a whole season or even for a tournament.Playing a match here and there was probably OK for him but week after week i don`t think he wants it anymore with all the setbacks he has had

oranges
03-18-2011, 01:16 PM
:bigcry: All the best in the future Pim Pim and thanks for the memories. Fun classy player whose career was sadly cut short by injuries a long time ago.

Yes playing 3 sets against a guy born in 1993 ranked 1300 in a small tennishall is humiliating :o

What a clown comment on henke's own clown speculations about the reasons

DanaKz
03-18-2011, 01:18 PM
:sad:

BodyServe
03-18-2011, 01:25 PM
I thought that was an older thread bumped :o

Weird that he won't even play the davis cup QF, from what i have seen in his match against Gabashvili, that was at least top 40 level on hard court.

His problem must be consistency (has illustrated by his loss against Andreev and Kindlman after beating better player just before).

henke007
03-18-2011, 01:33 PM
:bigcry: All the best in the future Pim Pim and thanks for the memories. Fun classy player whose career was sadly cut short by injuries a long time ago.

What a clown comment on henke's own clown speculations about the reasons

So what do you think the reasons are, Clown :confused:

I doubt his motivation gets better playing futures at the age of 29...

duong
03-18-2011, 01:37 PM

maybe he still felt something in his shoulder, everytime he had tried to come back he had been hurt in his shoulder again.

What I think is that this time he thought he had found a plan to avoid it again, but when he felt the pain again, he gave up.

Else it would seem strange to stop his carreer in middle of a tournament (since he had won first round and was due to playing second round)

MAybe he didn't speak about his shoulder here, because didn't think necessary to talk about it again :shrug:

henke007
03-18-2011, 01:41 PM
He said in an article that he was in good form and could make a correct decision to stop playing this time hence last time when his shoulder made him stop. He said now that he could make the decision only based on a hunger and motivation to comeback and he doesn't have it. So i guess all the training etc that he put in was to be able to make a final decision while fit.

duong
03-18-2011, 01:49 PM
He said in an article that he was in good form and could make a correct decision to stop playing this time hence last time when his shoulder made him stop. He said now that he could make the decision only based on a hunger and motivation to comeback and he doesn't have it. So i guess all the training etc that he put in was to be able to make a final decision while fit.

OK , yet I would have understood better if he had tried a little bit more.

Practicing so much to stop after only one bad experience :confused:

maybe there's an unknown reason, something he doesn't talk about (like another professional plan which gets more serious at this moment :shrug: )

henke007
03-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Well he played a challenger before DC aswell..

JMG
03-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Ending your career in the middle of a tournament is pathetic. :rolleyes: It has always been a known fact that he doesn't have the biggest heart and here he showed it again.

Jomp1
03-18-2011, 02:02 PM
OK , yet I would have understood better if he had tried a little bit more.

Practicing so much to stop after only one bad experience :confused:

maybe there's an unknown reason, something he doesn't talk about (like another professional plan which gets more serious at this moment :shrug: )

Keep speculating, you can and will never know with Pim Pim.

Ending your career in the middle of a tournament is pathetic. :rolleyes: It has always been a known fact that he doesn't have the biggest heart and here he showed it again.

He has always been a lone wolf, going his own way and never really cared what others thought.

oranges
03-18-2011, 02:16 PM

Only you know why possible lack of motivation=feeling humiliation, or at least that's how make it sound by changing your tune now. The first could very well be the reason and it can be due to many things, probably a combination of what he assess his best results could be, in what time frame and personal considerations for his family and whether it's worth it all things considered.

Nixer
03-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Oh, I hoped so much that this one will lead to something :sad:
Well, good luck to Pim-Pim with his family and normal life :wavey:

Li Ching Yuen
03-18-2011, 03:21 PM
On the outside, for every tennis fan this just only looks like a serious lack of commitment. But as another human being, although I don't know what exactly he feels like or what he is bothered by, I can understand that the decision is fueled by an internal struggle/issue/problem. Whatever it may be, I could go on and speculate about it but that's not worth it.

I wish him luck onwards, it's been a pleasure watching him play some very beautiful tennis in the past and even in these short comebacks that he's had.

Nathaliia
03-18-2011, 03:31 PM
i guess he'll need to be back for DC cos Sweden doesn't have a 2nd player...
if he refuses then they'll need to call up Vinciguerra the DC beast

what a sad state of affairs :tape:

duong
03-18-2011, 03:35 PM
i guess he'll need to be back for DC cos Sweden doesn't have a 2nd player...
if he refuses then they'll need to call up Vinciguerra the DC beast

what a sad state of affairs :tape:

well Sweden have a few young players coming, and also Lindahl who is now Swedish.

Bopanna managed to give many problems to Troicki ;)

Jacques_Ukraine
03-18-2011, 03:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=6231743

Joachim Johansson retiring again

Associated Press

STOCKHOLM -- Swedish player Joachim Johansson is retiring again despite a recent comeback in Davis Cup, saying he lacks the motivation to continue on the tennis tour.
In an interview published in Swedish daily Svenska Dagbladet on Friday, the 28-year old Johansson says he's "realized that I'm done with this [type of] life."

Johansson reached a career high of No. 9 in 2005 after winning his third career ATP title, but his career immediately unraveled because of shoulder and elbow injuries.

He retired in 2008, and though he reversed his decision after recovering, he's hardly played again. This month, he helped Sweden beat Russia 3-2 in Davis Cup.

He says he is fit and injury-free, but he's no longer passionate about the sport in the same way as before.

Nathaliia
03-18-2011, 03:42 PM
yeah lindell and berta

Johnny Groove
03-18-2011, 03:59 PM
After many years of injuries, a wife and baby at home, he simply does not want it anymore. The fire is gone. Understandable.

Wish him nothing but the best in post-tennis life.

barbadosan
03-18-2011, 04:24 PM
good for tennis

The number of times you repeat that tired phrase would mean we'd have a tour comprising all of 10 people

Orka_n
03-18-2011, 05:01 PM
good for tennisGet out of here.

Sad to see Pimpim come to this decision but as Groove said, it's understandable. Good luck in the future Joachim :hatoff:

Snowwy
03-18-2011, 05:25 PM
good for tennis

How? Do you like tennis?

duong
03-18-2011, 05:31 PM
How? Do you like tennis?

yes but he/she doesn't like old people ;)

I've seen him/her wish several old players to retire, I guess he/she can't suffer getting old :shrug:

GlennMirnyi
03-18-2011, 06:02 PM
good for tennis

Effortless technique in douchebaggery.

Sapeod
03-18-2011, 06:10 PM
About time he retired to be honest. I liked watching him, but he was just going nowhere...

Snowwy
03-18-2011, 06:11 PM
About time he retired to be honest. I liked watching him, but he was just going nowhere...

How many players ARE going somewhere right now?

GlennMirnyi
03-18-2011, 06:15 PM
How many players ARE going somewhere right now?

Cabbage just had a Shakespearian moment.

philosophicalarf
03-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Makes sense - even if he magically had no more injuries, he would be 30 by the time he worked his way up to a decent level (say top25). More realistically, best case scenario would be lots of repeated niggles, miss lots of tournaments, and probably not manage top50 as a result.

BodyServe
03-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Also, has he been american, that would have been easier for him to come back (see Dent).