IW QF: Del Potro d. Robredo WO [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

IW QF: Del Potro d. Robredo WO

Caralimon
03-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Expected, Del Potro gets to play Rafa/Ivo next.

Lopez
03-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Omg.

Well at least I won't miss any of it while playing tennis myself :lol:.

Rafa might like the chance of playing this DelPo :p

finishingmove
03-17-2011, 07:27 PM
querrey :lol:

ApproachShot
03-17-2011, 07:28 PM
As expected, but I hope Tommy gets well soon. Any news on whether he expects to be fit for Miami? I'm sure Delpo wouldn't have liked to progress through the draw this way, but he's been on a remarkable run since the Australian Open and deserves to be in the semi-finals.

Arkulari
03-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Robredo won't play Miami either.

http://twitter.com/robercarretero/status/48465631930097664

Sonja1989
03-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Caralimon, do you have any official?

Caralimon
03-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Caralimon, do you have any official?

Yes I have officials.

It's all over twitter.

Sonja1989
03-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Yes I have officials.

It's all over twitter.

Okay, thanks!

:crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2:

Certinfy
03-17-2011, 07:32 PM
:haha:

Crowd got 2 epic singles matches to watch.

Anyway Juan :yeah: :woohoo: :bounce:

DrJules
03-17-2011, 07:33 PM
A very bad day for Indian Wells

Wozniacki wins after 2 games when opponent retires and now a w/o.

_Chaz
03-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Expected, get well soon Robredo.

But now I'm even more sad that Kohli choked in the 2nd set TB yesterday :sad: If he had won the 3rd set also he would be in a Masters SF now...

zcess81
03-17-2011, 07:35 PM
This is the worst IW in many, many years...so many bagels, shit matches and now WO...couldn't care less who wins to be honest...bring on Miami I say!

Vida
03-17-2011, 07:38 PM
This is the worst IW in many, many years...so many bagels, shit matches and now WO...couldn't care less who wins to be honest...bring on Miami I say!

liar ;)

ApproachShot
03-17-2011, 07:39 PM
A very bad day for Indian Wells

Wozniacki wins after 2 games when opponent retires and now a w/o.

Azarenka was scheduled to play in the doubles this afternoon as well, so that's another match that won't feature now.

vn01
Good for Del Potro :yeah:

Get well soon. Tommy :)

Mungo
Omg.

Well at least I won't miss any of it while playing tennis myself :lol:.

Rafa might like the chance of playing this DelPo :p

If Nadal gets past Karlovic which is a tough match, Nadal is as far from his best as Delpo. It would be a 50/50 match.

Sonja1989
03-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Get well soon Tommy. :hug:

If he could win against Querrey yesterday I think he will be okay in Monte-Carlo.

quiron
03-17-2011, 07:42 PM
DELPO: to 90° to 54° in only six tournaments...

EDIT: oh, fourth SF consecutive...

habibko
03-17-2011, 07:42 PM
good for tennis in more ways than one

rocketassist
03-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Lesser of two evils goes through.

If either QF or SF opponent is playing well, Nadull is going home

Regenbogen
03-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Pretty unfortunate for the people there today...they've barely gotten to see anything so far.

Argenbrit
DELPO: to 90° to 54° in only six tournaments...
Don't you mean "from #484 to #54 in only four tournaments"?

Zaks_289
Good news. I don't want to see Delpo play and beat injured player.

pozzanghera
03-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Kind of relieved he took the sensible option; he's defended his points and can now focus on fully recovering for clay season. It's frustrating for Querrey/Querrey fans, but it's each for his own out there, and points mean prizes (as some bloke with a big chin and a bad combover was prone to saying.) :p

zcess81
03-17-2011, 07:53 PM
liar ;)

ok, maybe i care but it has been pretty bad tournament so far

KoOlMaNsEaN
03-17-2011, 08:04 PM
wow. If I was a spectator I'd be demanding a refund :lol:

Blackbriar
03-17-2011, 08:06 PM

strange, for me it is the best Indian Wells i have seen. I agree on everything you said + scheduling ugly, but something made this IW the best to me :)

tennisfan856
03-17-2011, 08:06 PM
kind of sad that indian wells finally got an owner that cares a lot about tennis and he's being served this shit, probably the worst indian wells in the last decade.

shiaben
03-17-2011, 08:09 PM
LMAO. One hell of an Indian Wells.

Heck probably Del Potro might upset Nadal, given that Karlovic will probably waste time and try to exhaust Nadal with annoying serves.

DJ Soup
what, this IW is much better than last year's

Silvester
we can still hope for epic SF & F coming up.

Scotso
03-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Exciting day of tennis so far for those forking over all that money to watch it. :yeah:

FiBeR
03-17-2011, 08:11 PM
oh well.. good for both players I guess.. neither Robredo will play and risk a worse injury nor Del Potro will be that tired for the SFs...

Voo de Mar
03-17-2011, 08:11 PM
:o

At least Del Potro has a day off, should be better prepared against Rafa with an additional rest :yeah: Del Potro will be seeded in Paris, that's good.

FiBeR
03-17-2011, 08:20 PM
:o

At least Del Potro has a day off, should be better prepared against Rafa with an additional rest :yeah: Del Potro will be seeded in Paris, that's good.

impressive taking into account people were saying he will be seeded around the US Open and in his best form there.. but he is getting it back quite quicker (the match against Kohli in R4 showed a lot of improvements in his game and mentality coming back from that 1-6 as well)
:yeah:

looking forward to Miami and Clay Season... clay should take a lot out of him in terms of mentality..which will sharpen him and make DPot stronger gamewise and mentalitywise

locyka19
03-17-2011, 08:22 PM
number 54......impressive.I guess with a good draw in Miami he will crack top 30 at least post-Miami.

tennishero
03-17-2011, 08:36 PM
what an asshole robredo, wouldnt retire against querrey and now he w/o.

Sonja1989
03-17-2011, 08:36 PM
number 54......impressive.I guess with a good draw in Miami he will crack top 30 at least post-Miami.

51... if Nieminen won't win challenger in this week.

Sonja1989
03-17-2011, 08:38 PM

Robredo was fit in first set.
I guess there aren't professional player who is thinking this in match.

rubbERR
03-17-2011, 08:45 PM

retire against querrey when he was winning? price money, ranking points.

cobalt60
03-17-2011, 08:48 PM

Exactly. He wanted to at least hold on to the points from last year when he made QF's.

tribalfusion
03-17-2011, 08:49 PM

Only on MTF is a player called an "asshole" for NOT retiring.

Unreal.

Blackbriar
03-17-2011, 08:50 PM
sad but true, not everyone can say bye-bye to these perks just for the "dignity" of the sport. The guy saves the best result of last year and gives him a chance to have a seed for the next slam.

Lee
03-17-2011, 08:50 PM

Why should Robredo retire as long as he had the chance to win the match? By making QF, he gained 180 points and 70,165USD in price moeny as compared to 90 points and 40,160USD.

I like Querrey but he only has himself to blame for not taking advantage of Robredo's injury during the match.

Corey Feldman
03-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Querrey will be remembered all his career as the guy who lost 1-6 3-6 to Robredo with broken legs

henke007
03-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Querrey will be remembered all his career as the guy who lost 1-6 3-6 to Robredo with broken legs

What does that say about Fiasco :help:

Blackbriar
03-17-2011, 09:35 PM
What does that say about Fiasco :help:

Fiasco is top 10 since one year, what does that say about top 10?

ZaZoo)
03-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Even though I hate u boredo, wish you good recovery. :wavey:

Delpo, rest well. :yawn:

osmonde
03-17-2011, 09:41 PM
So unless something goes really wrong against Karlovic, we will have 2 titan wars in semis with Nadal-Del Potro and Djokovic-Federer if he passes through Stan, which is also quite assured. The 3 tops seeds and a wild card.

Aenea
03-17-2011, 09:52 PM
So unless something goes really wrong against Karlovic, we will have 2 titan wars in semis with Nadal-Del Potro and Djokovic-Federer if he passes through Stan, which is also quite assured. The 3 tops seeds and a wild card.

not just some WC, the real #4 :D so all top4 guys in the SF.

DJ Soup
03-17-2011, 09:55 PM
3 top seeds and the real number 4 lmao

Elbarto
03-17-2011, 10:02 PM
good news for Del Potro,

now the battle against Nadal seems more fair because of this day off

tennishero
03-17-2011, 10:04 PM
he lost me money by not retiring, and now i cant fade him.

Aenea
03-17-2011, 10:13 PM
good news for Del Potro,

now the battle against Nadal seems more fair because of this day off

why wouldn't it be fair had he played today vs Robredo :confused: he was scheduled to play about 6 hours before Nadal. How is it fair if one player has more days off than his opponent?

rubbERR
03-17-2011, 10:16 PM
why wouldn't it be fair had he played today vs Robredo :confused: he was scheduled to play about 6 hours before Nadal. How is it fair if one player has more days off than his opponent?

Nadal got bye first round so if he beats Karlovic both players beaten 4 players this tournament, not sure if this is good to Delpo tho who needs matches.

habibko
03-17-2011, 10:17 PM

didn't Del Potro enter by his protected ranking?

Elbarto
03-17-2011, 10:18 PM

Nadal had a "bye" for the first round, not Del Potro,

with this W/O Del Potro has a kind of "bye" like Nadal,

don't forget that a player must be 100% fitness and healthy against Nadal if he wants to have a chance to beat him, Del Potro was a bit tired against Kohlschreiber, this day-off is a good news for him, that's why the "battle" sounds to me more fair, well-balanced now

coonster14
03-17-2011, 10:27 PM
too bad boredo. Delpo wouldn't like progressing to the SF in this manner, but stuff like this happens on occasions.

DELPO!!! Onto the SF :rocker:, hope he plays Rafa, the long-awaited match-up I have been waiting for (1.5 years) is almost here (Rafa, don't lose to the serving machine).

But I feel sorry for those who bought tickets for Stadium 1 day session, they have been robbed of watching two matches that looked pretty interesting on paper.

Aenea
03-17-2011, 10:28 PM

don't forget that a player must be 100% fitness and healthy against Nadal if he wants to have a chance to beat him, Del Potro was a bit tired against Kohlschreiber, this day-off is a good news for him, that's why the "battle" sounds to me more fair, well-balanced now

I find this explanation very illogical, as Nadal's "additional" day off was last week and has nothing to do with the potential SF. If JMDP is tired it is not because he played 1 (one) match more in this tournament but because he played many tournaments since start of the season. I personally see nothing fair in one player getting more rest than his opponent and I am saying this not because it is Nadal involved in this potential match but because this is my view in general.

locyka19
03-17-2011, 10:34 PM

Smart point. Actually agree.

samanosuke
03-17-2011, 10:38 PM
finally boredo did one positive thing . now Delpo will maybe be physically ready for match against rafa

Elbarto
03-17-2011, 10:40 PM
I find this explanation very illogical, as Nadal's "additional" day off was last week and has nothing to do with the potential SF. If JMDP is tired it is not because he played 1 (one) match more in this tournament but because he played many tournaments since start of the season. I personally see nothing fair in one player getting more rest than his opponent and I am saying this not because it is Nadal involved in this potential match but because this is my view in general.

it's easy to understand :

without the W/O :

Nadal -> one bye, 4 matchs, easy opponents

Del Potro -> 3 sets match against Ljubicic, he showed signs of fatigue against Kohlschreiber, a fifth match against Robredo would ruin his chances for the semi against Nadal, Del Potro has often physical/fatigue problems,

and don't forget he was injured for almost one year, 5 matchs in a week is a huge challenge for him, for a fit player like Nadal it's nothing but not for Del Potro,

for the crowd it's better to see Del Potro taking one additional day off, the semi will be better to watch and more well-balanced ( maybe the word "fair" was too strong )

Aenea
03-17-2011, 10:46 PM
it's simply to understand :

without the W/O :

Nadal -> one bye, 4 matchs, easy opponents

Del Potro -> 3 sets match against Ljubicic, he showed signs of fatigue against Kohlschreiber, a fifth match will probably ruin his chances against Nadal, Del Potro has often physical/fatigue issue,

and don't forget he was injured for almost one year, 5 matchs in a week is a huge challenge for him, for a fit player like Nadal it's nothing but not for Del Potro,

for the crowd it's better to see Del Potro taking one additional day off, the semi will be better to watch and more well-balanced ( maybe the word "fair" was too strong )

OMG, I understand all the math, this is not the problem and I have nothing against JMDP having that day off. I am not even sure Nadal will make it past Ivo seeing him play like a clown against Devvarman.
The question is about "fairness". When 2 players are to play each other they should be having the same or almost the same time to rest before the match. Few hours are no problem, but one whole day is. That is why I dislike tournaments which have SFs in different days.

Sonja1989
03-17-2011, 10:52 PM
OMG, I understand all the math, this is not the problem and I have nothing against JMDP having that day off. I am not even sure Nadal will make it past Ivo seeing him play like a clown against Devvarman.
The question is about "fairness". When 2 players are to play each other they should be having the same or almost the same time to rest before the match. Few hours are no problem, but one whole day is. That is why I dislike tournaments which have SFs in different days.

Yeah. And R4 is same day, QF different too. I think this is crap. Yesterday played 8 matches, today two. Interesting....

Elbarto
03-17-2011, 11:02 PM

you still don't understand :o

without the W/O Del Potro would have played 5 matchs to reach the semi, Nadal only 4, this is not really fair for Del Potro considering he was injured for almost one year,

the crowd wants to see a good and relatively well-balanced match for the semi

Aenea
03-17-2011, 11:12 PM
It is you who doesn't understand. The only time that counts is the time before the actual match not a week ago. In this case the time between the QF and SF. Following your logic all matches in round2 are unfair as all seeded players had more time to rest and the unseeded players had played more matches. Then all tournaments which have bye-s are "unfair" because of that. Fed-Harrison match wasn't fair because Harrison played 1 match more than Fed? Is that so? Nadal-Devvarman was even more "unfair" as Devvarman played qualis, too so he played actually 3 more matches than Nadal?
I am out of this topic. I expressed myself pretty clear so who wants to understand will do so. You just don't want to understand.

Sonja1989
03-17-2011, 11:17 PM
http://m.blog.hu/op/opblog/image/facepalm.jpeg

Elbarto
03-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Following your logic all matches in round2 are unfair as all seeded players had more time to rest and the unseeded players had played more matches. Then all tournaments which have bye-s are "unfair" because of that.

yes,

the "bye rule" is clearly unfair, they should abolish this rule in masters 1000 events, don't see the justification when a tournament begins thursday

propi
03-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Tommy :(
But you took the right decision :yeah:
Should be confortably seeded for Roland Garros and then time to reach 1/4 at least. 2011 is an odd year :dance::banana:

Elbarto
03-17-2011, 11:38 PM
It is you who doesn't understand. The only time that counts is the time before the actual match not a week ago.

it's false,

do you practice often sports ?

more you play matchs, more you need time to recover, the difference between 5 matchs and 4 matchs in a week is not inconsiderable

Sunset of Age
03-18-2011, 12:05 AM
yes,

the "bye rule" is clearly unfair, they should abolish this rule in masters 1000 events, don't see the justification when a tournament begins thursday

Yep I agree that those 'byes' are uncalled for, and rather unfair towards the lesser gods who don't get them, whereas the top players already benefit from a better draw thanks to their rankings (which they've earned, btw). A clear case of nuthugging of the top players, read: top cash cows.

The ATP introduced the 'bye' for the top players on benefit of the tournament directors who don't want to see their top cash cows bolt out of their tournaments too early. The guy responsible for this was the infamous Mr. Disney, who also took away the best-of-5 format in Master's finals, and hence bereft the tennis fans of seeing more fantastic thrillers like the Rome 2006-final. Splendid. NOT. :mad:

FiBeR
03-18-2011, 12:33 AM

There are no such thing as equal conditions starting from the fact that there are no equally like people.
To put it into simple facts: Del Potro's draw is not the same as Nadal's draw because of their rivals, both players' gamestyles, backstory, etc disregarded of their level, both are different people in different conditions, played in different courts or different time of the day, with different outcomes, different ages, different careers, etc etc... Tennis is a sport of matchups.

This "walkover" in favour of Del Potro is as fair as Nadal playing 3 qualies and levels things a bit b/c it, on top of being a fact which had nothing to with the player but with their luck/fate/whatever you believe in, it adds a lot to Del Potro cos he has been out for a really long time and needs extra rest to be in good conditions to do better . Also, speaking about your concept of fairness :) not everything moves forward, how about considering the backwards factor as well? Nadal is not a player who will underplay bc of having scheduled 3 matches in a row, would he? So this "unfairness" is not relevant since neither of the players will not benefit from it (Nadal has nothing to look into Del Potro's road to SF, he must focus on his own path, cos if he is to make the SF, he must make his own way, and so will do in his way to the Final as well, will depend exclusively on himself). Del Potro's not gonna win in SF probably, but he can do better than he would have if he hadnt got this W.O. and people are just stating this b/c they want to see a good match and their favourite/most liked player win (or their most disliked player lose).. others just see things through gambling eyes and see people as money-making instruments. it's just a different point of view.

It is fair cos 1 player will be competitive in the SF and the other probably will too (DPot) which having played the QF match wouldnt have been that much

tealeaves
03-18-2011, 12:49 AM
I feel BAD for people paying $ to matches today:tape:
one match with 3 games and another match is a walkover :o

Pirata.
03-18-2011, 01:42 AM
:lol:

Tommy, get better soon :hug:

Matt01
03-18-2011, 02:03 AM
Yep I agree that those 'byes' are uncalled for, and rather unfair towards the lesser gods who don't get them, whereas the top players already benefit from a better draw thanks to their rankings (which they've earned, btw). A clear case of nuthugging of the top players, read: top cash cows.

The ATP introduced the 'bye' for the top players on benefit of the tournament directors who don't want to see their top cash cows bolt out of their tournaments too early. The guy responsible for this was the infamous Mr. Disney, who also took away the best-of-5 format in Master's finals, and hence bereft the tennis fans of seeing more fantastic thrillers like the Rome 2006-final. Splendid. NOT. :mad:

Oh, I disagree with both of your points. :p :angel:

Bye's are fine. The top players have to play many more matches than the lower ranked players anyway. It's good for them to have 1 match less, it benefits the sport in the long run. And as far as I know, there have always been bye's for the first 32 seeds or something in IW.

And it's also good that best of 5 finals habe been abolished. There's no reason for me why the final final should 5 sets while all the other matches in a tournament are best of 3. And after the long final in Rome 2006, both players were so tired that they couldn't play Hamburh the following week. Not good.

abraxas21
03-18-2011, 02:41 AM
Robredo won't play Miami either.

http://twitter.com/robercarretero/status/48465631930097664

good for the game.

shitman :wavey:

philosophicalarf
03-18-2011, 02:57 AM
Terrible performance by Robredo. Never turned up.

rubbERR
03-18-2011, 03:02 AM
Wow that was sick point for Ivo! Unbelivable topspin backhands :lol:

STUHL
03-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Expected, get well soon Robredo.

But now I'm even more sad that Kohli choked in the 2nd set TB yesterday :sad: If he had won the 3rd set also he would be in a Masters SF now...

+1

He would have been really close to the Top 20 now :sad:

Sonja1989
03-18-2011, 10:48 AM
+1

He would have been really close to the Top 20 now :sad:

:hug: He will be in top 20 soon. He don't have to defending points in clay court season.

STUHL
03-18-2011, 10:50 AM
:hug: He will be in top 20 soon. He don't have to defending points in clay court season.He has a fucking QF of Monte Carlo to defend then nothing anymore.

Sonja1989
03-18-2011, 10:56 AM
He has a fucking QF of Monte Carlo to defend then nothing anymore.

90 point in MC. The next is Roland Garros 10 point. AND Wimbledon 10 point, Bastad 90 point, Canada 45, Cincinnati 10 and New Haven 20. :D

That is all until US Open.

STUHL
03-18-2011, 10:58 AM
90 point in MC. The next is Roland Garros 10 point. AND Wimbledon 10 point, Bastad 90 point, Canada 45, Cincinnati 10 and New Haven 20. :D

That is all until US Open.

I'm talking about Kohli :haha:

Robredo has indeed nothing to defend!

Sonja1989
03-18-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm talking about Kohli :haha:

Robredo has indeed nothing to defend!

Sorry. :lol:

But similar for Kohlschreiber. Honestly I don't understand why he isn't near top 20, he is good player. ;)

Nadull_tard
03-18-2011, 11:34 AM
That was much closer than the scoreline shows.