IW R4: Roger Federer def. Ryan Harrison 7-6(4) 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

IW R4: Roger Federer def. Ryan Harrison 7-6(4) 6-3

nsidhan
03-17-2011, 07:07 AM
Fed was horrible in the first set but then stepped it up in the 2nd. Was in exo mode throughout.

Topspindoctor
03-17-2011, 07:08 AM
Harrison faced too much pressure from the home crowd and was too inexperienced. Olderer got through the match by luck, serve and intimidation.

navy75
03-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Expected win for Roger. Fed won at about 50%, but Harrison is really, really good to just be 18.

The Magician
Fedclown :retard: Obviously he was experimenting with his netplay and his return game, but still mug performance getting broken twice serving for the first set :o

DorianGray7
FEDERER let some 18 year old un-seeded nobody take him to a tie-break.

He's completely done crapping out errors left and right. He is a disgrace to Tennis. Harrison had this one in the bag if he didn't choke.

jamesuk
To the thread starter....out of curiosity, do you get some kind of thrill by posting results before they have happened~?
Do you get menstennisforum bonus points or something?
Are you watching the match with your finger hovering over the enter button hoping you will be the first????

viruzzz
03-17-2011, 07:10 AM
I really think Federer has a personal problem. He didn't give a simply smile after the match. His face look worried.
I dunno...

Harrison faced too much pressure from the home crowd and was too inexperienced. Olderer got through the match by luck, serve and intimidation.

Please, shut up and stop commenting in Federer threads, you're just a hater. A shitty stupid hater.
Its difficult to tolerate a poster like you.

tennisgolfguru
Fed was horrible in the first set but then stepped it up in the 2nd. Was in exo mode throughout.

I watched a different match - I thought Harrison did very well under the circumstances and had moments when he troubled Fed, especially attacking his 2nd serve. Next time he plays Fed I wouldn't bet on the outcome - I think he can hold his 18 year old head very high!!

Topspindoctor
To the thread starter....out of curiosity, do you get some kind of thrill by posting results before they have happened~?
Are you watching the match with your finger hovering over the enter button hoping you will be the first????

The match finished when he posted the thread :retard:

Arkulari
03-17-2011, 07:12 AM
One of the worst matches I've seen Roger play since Estoril last year.

That said, Ryan was really trying his best and competed to the best of his ability, kudos to him :yeah:

Stats:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/2823/rogelioharrisoniw11.jpg (http://img340.imageshack.us/i/rogelioharrisoniw11.jpg/)

castle007
03-17-2011, 07:13 AM
I really think Federer has a personal problem. He didn't give a simply smile after the match. His face look worried.
I dunno...

Please, shut up and stop commenting in Federer threads, you're just a hater. A shitty stupid hater.

He looked fine to me. I think he was just a little too casual in the first set.

DorianGray7
03-17-2011, 07:13 AM
Federer has zero chance to reach the final. Epic mug who gets mug draws that choke.

Who's his next opponent again?

barbadosan
03-17-2011, 07:14 AM
nsidhan, as far as I remember, doesn't post many match results. It IS possible that the feed you were watching was a tad delayed... even the protennis live popup scoreboard is sometimes ahead or behind the scoreboard on the ATP front page, far less the video feeds

Corey Feldman
03-17-2011, 07:14 AM
Fed is serving like Christophe Rochus thesedays

needs worked on, unless its his body not giving it full swing

next match is a new day.

tnosugar
03-17-2011, 07:15 AM
good attitude Harrison. The most promising north american i'd say. Raonic has the serve and all, but this guy i showing all the traces of an all-rounder (with good volleys too!) at 18 already. And that's what gets you to top 3..

careergrandslam
03-17-2011, 07:16 AM
federer was in clown mode and still won easily.
harrion has no big weapon but is consistent

shiaben
Wawrinka.......I want to see him beat Wawrinka to face Djokovic. I wonder if he were to lose to Djokovic, he'd raise Djokovic's h2h. Federer is potentially risking his history on the line for every loss to Djokovic. Sooner or later if the two play more in slams, their slam h2h could become = or Djokovic might possibly surpass it.

ZakMcCrack
Federer has zero chance to reach the final. Epic mug who gets mug draws that choke.

Who's his next opponent again?

Don't be silly - Harrison was never in a position to choke.

samanosuke
first set was low even for federror standards . second was better but it was hard to expect harrison back after first set . doesn't looking good

let him enjoy . this provocation are only situations when somebody wants to communicate with him and allow him to be a part of society . don't be so cruel and take him this little what he has

DorianGray7
I see Federer losing to unseeded random 18 year olds left and right this time next year.

What a total waste.

dabeast
03-17-2011, 07:18 AM
should have been a lot easier, shoulda pummelled the kid, but Fed getting nervous (against an 18-year-old with little firepower, wtf??) with a first-time opponent and with no discernible serve, movement or mental discipline, made the first set tight (and terrible). 2nd set was slightly more comfy and predictable. Rog, work out whatever you need to, that was lame and it shouldn't have been :rolleyes:

Stefanos13
03-17-2011, 07:18 AM

:worship::haha:

nsidhan
03-17-2011, 07:21 AM

To the person who wrote the above message...maybe you live in a place where the air waves travel REEEALLY SLOWLY. So STFU.

I posted the thread after the match was over.

freeandlonely
03-17-2011, 07:21 AM
FEDERER let some 18 year old un-seeded nobody take him to a tie-break.

He's completely done crapping out errors left and right. He is a disgrace to Tennis. Harrison had this one in the bag if he didn't choke.

:haha:
But I agree Federer is awful, and Harrison is just 18.

barbadosan
03-17-2011, 07:22 AM
Wawrinka.......I want to see him beat Wawrinka to face Djokovic. I wonder if he were to lose to Djokovic, he'd raise Djokovic's h2h. Federer is potentially risking his history on the line for every loss to Djokovic. Sooner or later if the two play more in slams, their slam h2h could become = or Djokovic might possibly surpass it.

Fed could only be risking his history if you truly believe people don't get old and fall from the top of their game. I think most of us realize that that's par for the course. His history and achievements will not fade away because he loses matches at 29+ onwards.

(In the meantime, I hope YOU find the fountain of eternal youth)

alter ego
Nadulltards don't you mugs have something better do to (like talking about Pocahontas famous butt picking) rather than trolling this thread?

Good 2nd set from Roger. Some bad moments in the 1st set though. Must have been the fact that this is his first match in the night session. Deiffrent wind condion, different temperature, slower court.

navy75
I see Federer losing to unseeded random 18 year olds left and right this time next year.

What a total waste.

Are there any 18 year olds that are seeded in Master's Series events? Even Federer wasn't top 32 before his 19th birthday. Nadal is the only player in the last decade that I can think of to have a top 32 ranking before his 19th birthday.

nsidhan
The match finished when he posted the thread :retard:

Thank you Topspindoctor. You my friend.

paseo
03-17-2011, 07:24 AM
Did Fed and Nadal eat the same food for lunch, or something? Both played sloppy matches.

navy75
I think that people are WAY too hard on Harrison. It's almost like he's a complete failure if he doesn't beat Federer now. The kid is only 18, and had as good of a tournament as could possibly be expected.

nsidhan
:worship::haha:

Save your worships for a time when it really makes sense.

Filo V.
The end of that first set was a complete disaster from Roger. The second set was pretty good. It's hard to take much from this given the situation, but Ryan did a good job competing. He still has quite a ways to go to be a legit threat to top players but he's certainly proven he belongs on this level.

tnosugar
nsidhan, as far as I remember, doesn't post many match results. It IS possible that the feed you were watching was a tad delayed... even the protennis live popup scoreboard is sometimes ahead or behind the scoreboard on the ATP front page, far less the video feeds

nsidhan is kool. Contributes measured and good-natured posts. And he is from Devermanland, which is always a plus :wavey:

swisht4u
Some of those misses Fed was smiling.
And some of those balls he didn't try too hard at all.
Harrison is very good for his age though.

Fed will be ready for the next match no doubt.
Fed didn't want to beat the kid down, he knows it would be abuse of power.

So don't use this match as an indicator of Fed's form. :wavey:

nsidhan
03-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Haha...thanks tnosugar and barbadosan!

locyka19
03-17-2011, 07:28 AM
He fought really well with a great attitude. He knew that Federer is the favorite for the match, but said in pre-match interview that he come for victory. Others might say "to play with the GOAT,try to return some balls" but Ryan was about win the first set.

tnosugar
03-17-2011, 07:30 AM

yes. but so what. the guy really has nothing to left prove. and you don't get remembered for your h2hs with rising players while you are in the twilight of your career.

it's really now about trying to push the bar a little bit higher for the up-comers... a gold medal in singles at the olympics perhaps, and that's it.

the only player who can jeopardise any of his records in the next decade is Nadal, and perhaps Djokovic if he turns into a total machine and starts winning on clay and grass.

you can call him anything you want. he's still the best ever, or a top 3 of all time (for the relativists :)

Kat_YYZ
03-17-2011, 07:31 AM
Fed haters throwing abuse at Harrison :rolleyes: Kid is pretty good, and regardless of what are or are not his technical weapons, he possesses the ability to focus, fight and keep his cool. So many clowns who've been on the tour for 5 or 6 years still tense up or get scared and just mentally check out. Harrison realized he had nothing to lose, no pressure in this match, and he just flat out went for it. It's always tough to play against someone like that, especially when you are playing them for the first time.

Roger needs to be more consistent on his serve for sure, and put things away properly.

barbadosan
03-17-2011, 07:34 AM
Harrison can certainly hold his head up high. Win, lose or draw, it was obvious he came out to give it his best shot - and in the end, that's the most anyone can ask. Hope he continues to do well

LinkMage
03-17-2011, 07:34 AM
Awful from Fed.

Serve has disappeared since last year. It was utter shit at the AO too.

Return of serve has regressed back to the horse shit it was before Annacone.

Can't win a baseline rally to save his life, after a long rally he gets frustrated and hits a shot to the 3rd row of the stands.

Corey Feldman
03-17-2011, 07:38 AM
averaging 6.05 aces per match this year

helvet empire
03-17-2011, 07:44 AM
Are there any 18 year olds that are seeded in Master's Series events? Even Federer wasn't top 32 before his 19th birthday. Nadal is the only player in the last decade that I can think of to have a top 32 ranking before his 19th birthday.

gasquet?

tennis2tennis
03-17-2011, 07:49 AM
I'm amazed by the number of haters who anaylse every shot game and set Federer plays ....we get it you think roger is shit and/or lucky that pretty much sums up your every post can't you just leave it on your signature!

moon language
03-17-2011, 08:02 AM
Good match for Harrison. It could have been a bloodbath had Federer been in the zone, but he wasn't, and Harrison managed to put up a respectable scoreline. Good experience for him.

I agree with what someone else said, it seems Federer and Nadal were similarly off their game tonight.

SelvenluvJo
03-17-2011, 08:04 AM
wow the score looks like not bad:eek:

viruzzz
03-17-2011, 08:05 AM
http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/~/media/4E93396782D84BAA8497AB3FCB1CB8ED.ashx

Great moment in Harrison's career.

Arkulari
03-17-2011, 08:13 AM
That picture is almost like

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YkwWstWNnoU/R0QbjVp-9XI/AAAAAAAAAGk/wquC1uJj-Fw/s320/images1300918_p1_sampras_federer_1222%5B1%5D.jpg

A change of the guard if you may

viruzzz
03-17-2011, 08:15 AM
The future is showing to our eyes.
Federer welcomes Harrison to the big tennis world.
OMG I'm excited about tennis future.
Living Legend & New hope.

feuselino
03-17-2011, 08:57 AM
http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/~/media/4E93396782D84BAA8497AB3FCB1CB8ED.ashx

Federer: "Don't quit your day job, son!"
Harrison: "Playing tennis?"
Federer: "...eh, exactly!"

Pirao666
03-17-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm amazed by the number of haters who anaylse every shot game and set Federer plays ....we get it you think roger is shit and/or lucky that pretty much sums up your every post can't you just leave it on your signature!

So if I'm right, will you just delete your signature like it has never happened, or will you give credit where it is due? :devil:

Arkulari
03-17-2011, 09:39 AM
http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/News/Tennis/2011/Tournament/ATP-Wednesday-Nadal-Federer-Tested.aspx

In the second match of Wednesday’s blockbuster night session, World No. 2 and three-time champion Federer overcame Harrison 7-6(4), 6-3. Harrison, who dropped serve in the first game, twice prevented the Swiss from serving out the first set. The 18 year old later forced Federer to close out the match on serve after facing down three match points.

“I kind of struggled kind of sort of in that first set because I knew that lead wasn't real because it was more because of his nerves, so I think that's what made the whole match be a bit tricky for me early on,” said Federer. “When I won the first set and I felt like I played a tough breaker, got out of some tough situations, is when I felt like, You know what? Now I can play more freely. That’s how I played in the second set.

“I thought he played really well under the circumstances. It's not easy coming out playing a night session against a top player, and I thought he did really well. He competed great. Believed in his chances. That's exactly what he's supposed to do. But he bounced back after a tough first game, and that was impressive to see.”

Harrison looked ahead to future meetings with Federer: “Hopefully it was the first of a thousand,” he said. “I'm not trying to be the guy who played one match against Federer that was a tight match, and I played well. He played well. There was a couple points here and there that made a difference. But I'm not planning certainly on this being the highlight of my career.”

Spot on (as usual) Roger :yeah:

Puschkin
03-17-2011, 09:42 AM
Nadal is the only player in the last decade that I can think of to have a top 32 ranking before his 19th birthday.
:topic: Gasquet in May 2005 was 31, no comparison to Rafa, but still.

Guy Haines
03-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Ryan had a great tournament and is continuing to improve. I was really impressed by him against Raonic, who hits big but is prone to errors.

I have a feeling Indian Wells might suit Ryan's game more than Miami, but we'll see.

n8
03-17-2011, 10:25 AM
I love watching Harrison play and am really glad he got a WC for Miami.

BaE7O4ocwGI

dodo
03-17-2011, 11:02 AM
averaging 6.05 aces per match this year
aces mean nothing. 50% of his 1st serves used to be unreturnable. not even close to that these days.

Rafa#Uno:-)
03-17-2011, 11:44 AM
djoker will bagel Fed.....

Fed will look even more sad then....

DJ Soup
03-17-2011, 11:49 AM
I really liked what I saw from Harrison, especially his attitude to bring it on, on the court.

However, Roger was really MIA. He looked really relaxed and unfocused while he had a break, and when he lost it, he got his gears back to break again, to be back to relaxed mode.

Vida
03-17-2011, 11:58 AM
tough one.

jcempire
03-17-2011, 12:23 PM
One thing that I learn from it.

Harrison is getting better
Federer is getting older

----------that's what We expect it to happen.

Harrison need to gain experience and He got power but no angel....
And the most Harrison need is a GReat Coach....
Team USA, Please Go get him a great Coach. Harrison is going to be better than Andy Roddick soon.
He soon would be the Best American. deserve the best coach.

And GOod News, Harrison is not Donald Young.

Nole fan
03-17-2011, 12:26 PM
It's good to see new blood. :D

chenx15
03-17-2011, 12:29 PM
you guys are making me laugh. Federer can't completely demolish the american kid in front of the american crowd. he was dramatic to show the crowd this harrison has talent and that he was having trouble. He is also being good to the kid. Die hard fed fans may not like it but for casual spectators they just don't want to see a man bully a young and up and coming talent in the home crowd. it's all drama. Fed has to show "frustrations" to make it look real. But once he decided to end the match it just did. some MTF people really...

Sunset of Age
03-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Couldn't watch the match, glad that Rog came through. Sounds like it was a rather tough affair. Nice to see some fresh young blood around, tennis is in need of it.

ExcaliburII
03-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Swiss Karlovic lucking out the tiebreak once again. I cant wait for him to be tennis-murdered by djokovic

jcempire
03-17-2011, 01:01 PM
you guys are making me laugh. Federer can't completely demolish the american kid in front of the american crowd. he was dramatic to show the crowd this harrison has talent and that he was having trouble. He is also being good to the kid. Die hard fed fans may not like it but for casual spectators they just don't want to see a man bully a young and up and coming talent in the home crowd. it's all drama. Fed has to show "frustrations" to make it look real. But once he decided to end the match it just did. some MTF people really...

HAHAHAHA

30 years old.......... Age can't lie

tealeaves
03-17-2011, 01:34 PM
1st set is the worst set I've seen from federer for ages

tennizen
03-17-2011, 01:52 PM
I saw the first few games only so cannot comment much. Harrison is really good at the net when he gets there and looks like he's working on being composed too. Will be interesting to see how he does in the future.

vn01
03-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Harrison impressed a lot against Federer. Olderer got lucky again :o

DrJules
03-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Fed haters throwing abuse at Harrison :rolleyes: Kid is pretty good, and regardless of what are or are not his technical weapons, he possesses the ability to focus, fight and keep his cool. So many clowns who've been on the tour for 5 or 6 years still tense up or get scared and just mentally check out. Harrison realized he had nothing to lose, no pressure in this match, and he just flat out went for it. It's always tough to play against someone like that, especially when you are playing them for the first time.

Roger needs to be more consistent on his serve for sure, and put things away properly.

Agree fully.

Having seen the way Gulbis and Troicki this week have really failed to perform it was impressive to see a player who rose to the occasion rather than mentally disintegrated to a 6-0, 6-1 defeat which belongs on the WTA.

Forehander
03-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Seriously "Ryan Harrison". Can a name get anymore fucking boring than that? Just from the name you'll know this dude wouldn't get far. Can you imagine a world number one name "RYAN HARRISON"? Even if he wins 100 grand slams and statistically become the GOAT he won't be remembered just because of such a boring name.

tennizen
03-17-2011, 02:34 PM
^ I actually agree. Ryan Harrison is a really boring name:lol:. If he gets some success he should get one of those Thai names.

rafa_maniac
03-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Nole is going to win this tournament in a stroll.

Li Ching Yuen
03-17-2011, 03:17 PM

Seriously "Ryan Harrison". Can a name get anymore fucking boring than that? Just from the name you'll know this dude wouldn't get far. Can you imagine a world number one name "RYAN HARRISON"? Even if he wins 100 grand slams and statistically become the GOAT he won't be remembered just because of such a boring name.

^ I actually agree. Ryan Harrison is a really boring name:lol:. If he gets some success he should get one of those Thai names.

^^A magnificent display of MTF wisdom.

Only on Menstennisforums: General Discussion.

SheepleBuster
03-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Fedclown :retard: Obviously he was experimenting with his netplay and his return game, but still mug performance getting broken twice serving for the first set :o

Fed has been choking leads for a while now. It just happens to often. He did so against Novak in Dubai when leading 3-1. Almost did it against Gilles Simon. He should have beaten Harrison 2 and 3. Oh well

The Freak
03-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Ryan is very good already, there's nothing he can't do well. Fed started struggling with the serve after Ryan started pounding returns. He's the best looking young player I've seen in awhile, it's good for American tennis :)

kindling
03-17-2011, 03:29 PM

Yeah, i agree, I think there were a few time when Fed was kind of letting the kid get in some shots. Then, I think Ryan started playing better and Fed was thinking he better start playing again.

Voo de Mar
03-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Harrison backs on Earth, generally he played a good match despite the embarrassing start :o

onewoman74
03-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Fed has been choking leads for a while now. It just happens to often. He did so against Novak in Dubai when leading 3-1. Almost did it against Gilles Simon. He should have beaten Harrison 2 and 3. Oh well

Can Anacone work on this issue? It's become such a liability in the last few years, that something needs to be done. Or maybe it's too late?

tennis2tennis
03-17-2011, 04:48 PM
So if I'm right, will you just delete your signature like it has never happened, or will you give credit where it is due? :devil:

chill nostradamus I'll give credit if by the time Roger retires he doesn't collect 4 majors

’cause I ain't the one covering my ass and hedging my bets :scratch: with the "he may win 1, he may win 2, he may win nothing!” crap-athon:devil:

by the same token if roger wins 2 or 3 & u sense no 4 is nigh please promise u won't change your username/disappear or find an excuse

tangerine_dream
03-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Ryan :hatoff: A respectable showing, well done.

It's strange to see and hear Roger looking exasperated-

Roger Federer to Self: Come On, Man! (http://gototennis.com/2011/03/17/roger-federer-to-self-come-on-man/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gototennis+%28GOTOTENNIS.com% 29)

duong
03-17-2011, 05:08 PM
A lot of talent this Harrison, I like him :)

duong
03-17-2011, 05:12 PM
It's strange to see and hear Roger looking exasperated-

Roger Federer to Self: Come On, Man! (http://gototennis.com/2011/03/17/roger-federer-to-self-come-on-man/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gototennis+%28GOTOTENNIS.com% 29)

Fed was clearly very nervous : I think he doesn't like this situation where he finds himself in the position of Sampras against him in Wimbledon 2001.

He's not used to being the "bad guy" here against the young exciting and talented player.

it also probably reminded him of Gasquet 2005 ... except that Gasquet (who was the same age as Harrison now) won.

Nadull_tard
03-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Federer has played crap since Simon match in AO. It's not looking good at all.

Sillyrabbit
03-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Picking on the kids name, seriously?

Happy to see Harrison kept the scoreline close even if it was more of Federer allowing him to do so.

navy75
03-17-2011, 06:03 PM

This has to be the most trite post I've ever seen on MTF. I'll bet you any amount of money that you want that there are far more "Carlos Moya's" proportionately in the Spanish speaking world than "Ryan Harrison's" in the English speaking world. Just because you never leave Australia it might be appealing to you to see more foreign-sounding names, but you'd find that a lot of those names are unbelievably common in these players' home countries as well.

Quite frankly, this is the stupidest fucking post I've ever seen on MTF. Rather than talking about players strengths and weaknesses, we've devolved into talking about who has the cutest name or who wears clothes that match the best. Go back to the male bulges thread, you'll be far more happy there.

navy75
03-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Picking on the kids name, seriously?

Happy to see Harrison kept the scoreline close even if it was more of Federer allowing him to do so.

I know. That has to be the gayest post in MTF history :lol:

I guess he wants all players in the English speaking world to name their kids crazy stuff like in Hollywood...

Vida
03-17-2011, 06:15 PM
ryan, incredibly even neck to head width ratio.

DJ Soup
03-17-2011, 06:28 PM
yeah dude has no neck

oranges
03-17-2011, 06:32 PM

Spot on, when you think about it, no one knows who's Jimmy Connors :silly:

That has to be the gayest post in MTF history :lol:

No need to insult the gay population. Forehander is special. He's hardly representative of any sexual orientation group, nationality, race or whatever other grouping one might decide on.

GameSetMatch!
03-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Good Run Ryan Harrison
People who think Ryan will not be good because of his name should not be on a Tennis site :lol:

locyka19
03-17-2011, 06:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOuwbEfyeYA&feature=youtube_gdata
Roger is so kind here.

nsidhan
03-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Playing Fed, Rafa or even Djoker now is very intimidating especially first time and Ryan Harrison played well under those circumstances. If it was against any other player he would have probably won a set atleast :shrug:. Props to him.

Cat9
03-17-2011, 09:38 PM

Wow, talk about delusional. Embarrassing, really.

Gabe32
03-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Anyone notice Harrison's service motion? His serve is fine, but he finishes almost entirely bent over. It takes him about 5 seconds to recover.

nsidhan
03-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Anyone notice Harrison's service motion? His serve is fine, but he finishes almost entirely bent over. It takes him about 5 seconds to recover.

Haha I was thinking that 5 secs is AGES in tennis. But I get your point :yeah:

Ajk822
03-18-2011, 01:57 AM

I also noticed that. Anytime a return was hit deep he had no chance.

cutesteve22
03-18-2011, 05:11 AM
god, Roger played even worse than 2007 Rome...