IW: Nadal def. Devvarman 7/5 6/4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

IW: Nadal def. Devvarman 7/5 6/4

Gabe32
03-17-2011, 05:22 AM
Seemed like a good match. Only caught the last couple of games.

Kat_YYZ
03-17-2011, 05:23 AM
Devvarman has earned my respect. Very good effort :yeah:

Scotso
Nice stuff from Somdev. :D

tennizen
Splendid effort by Somdev:worship::worship:. Completely unexpected.

Johnny Groove
03-17-2011, 05:24 AM
Well played.

nsidhan
03-17-2011, 05:24 AM
Respect to you Somdev :worship:

VALIANT EFFORT :worship:

philosophicalarf
03-17-2011, 05:25 AM
Good fight by Devvarman.

Nadal was unbelievably awful. An absolute errormachine, spraying them miles out of court in the first set. Serve was really bad, return poor, passing shots epically bad.

It says it all that Nadal needed Devvarman to choke at the end of both sets. He was that bad - worst performance I've seen from him in years, the worst I can think of when he's fully healthy.

The Freak
I love Somdev. He has played this way for years. He just comes out and fights and plays his game no matter who the opponent, and he doesn't get intimidated. Even though his game is lacking firepower he makes up for it with his awesome attitude. Great match Somdev :)

Arkulari
Great effort from Somdev, Rafa was a UE machine specially in the first set but got the job done.

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/4171/nadalsomdeviw11set1.jpg (http://img828.imageshack.us/i/nadalsomdeviw11set1.jpg/)

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/5397/nadalsomdeviw11.jpg (http://img194.imageshack.us/i/nadalsomdeviw11.jpg/)

Dmitry Verdasco
Good defence from Somdev, Nadal's FH was OFF though. Average match.

Priam
03-17-2011, 05:26 AM
Somdev is definitely a tricky customer. Well-played.

Some of the rallies seemed like Nadal vs Nadal (of a few years back) out there.

out_here_grindin
03-17-2011, 05:26 AM
Great play from Somdev. He had Nadal off-guard.

At the end of the day Nadal is just light years ahead of Devvarman and he was able to pull through

navy75
03-17-2011, 05:27 AM
I'm sure that some people will use the close score to just shit on Nadal, but it is REALLY nice to see Somdev playing well and getting an opportunity to perform on this stage. Great week for Somdev, and I hope that he uses the confidence that he has gained from Indian Wells to go on and have a great season.

rafa_maniac
03-17-2011, 05:28 AM
Uff, winning ugly :o Strong from Somdev though. Tennis is such a funny sport, you have a player who seems to be playing really well against someone playing like a sack of shit, but the top player wins because they always seem to win enough unremarkable points and pull off a few good shots right at the key moments.

paseo
03-17-2011, 05:29 AM
Devvarman is one annoying fella to play against, isn't he? He just won't go away.

freeandlonely
03-17-2011, 05:31 AM
You guys gotta be kidding me, what a boring match it is.

jadey
03-17-2011, 05:32 AM
Uff, winning ugly :o Strong from Somdev though. Tennis is such a funny sport, you have a player who seems to be playing really well against someone playing like a sack of shit, but the top player wins because they always seem to win enough unremarkable points and pull off a few good shots right at the key moments.

unless we are talking about Andy Murray ;)

tennisfan856
03-17-2011, 05:33 AM
this match was boring as hell, like watching lead paint dry. I kept looking at the clock to see when Nadal would finish him off.

Voo de Mar
03-17-2011, 05:41 AM
Better than we'd have expected :o

The Magician
03-17-2011, 05:43 AM
Nadull :haha: If he wasn't playing a challenger level pusher in the 4th round of a MS he would have gotten destroyed in straight sets. This goes out to all the tards who say he would win his matches anyway if not for the joke draws :help:

out_here_grindin
03-17-2011, 05:46 AM
Nadull :haha: If he wasn't playing a challenger level pusher in the 4th round of a MS he would have gotten destroyed in straight sets. This goes out to all the tards who say he would win his matches anyway if not for the joke draws :help:

Devvarman executed his style and it threw Nadal off. You think Nadal would have played the exact same way vs another opponent?

FlameOn
03-17-2011, 05:55 AM
Rafa. :hatoff: Nice workout.

The Magician
03-17-2011, 06:00 AM
Devvarman executed his style and it threw Nadal off. You think Nadal would have played the exact same way vs another opponent?

His "style" is pushing. Last game of the match showed that if Nadull didn't feel like mugging around he would have double bageled Devvarmug. He seems like a nice guy but he really has no excuse for playing the same game he played in college and is pretty much the definition of a challenger level player.

viruzzz
03-17-2011, 06:14 AM

Nadal's fault.
Every player has to know his opponent.
In Hartfield words "The first time I played vs Federer, he knows my style and my movements, he knows exactly how to play me. Well... Then I got bageled in the 1st set and he relaxed."

And we're talking about HARTFIELD.

GlennMirnyi
03-17-2011, 06:16 AM
Seemed like a good match. Only caught the last couple of games.

Highly unlikely considering Nadull was playing.

tennisfan856
03-17-2011, 06:16 AM
His "style" is pushing. Last game of the match showed that if Nadull didn't feel like mugging around he would have double bageled Devvarmug. He seems like a nice guy but he really has no excuse for playing the same game he played in college and is pretty much the definition of a challenger level player.

the 5-6 return game in the first set is exactly how the match should've been played out the whole time. It was irritating to watch this performance.

GlennMirnyi
03-17-2011, 06:19 AM

Of course.

It's not like Nadull has a plan B.

Topspindoctor
03-17-2011, 06:34 AM
Haters in this thread whining like 10 year old bitches :haha:

Nadal got the win, that's what counts :bigwave:

KaiserT
03-17-2011, 06:53 AM
Devvarman is a great fighter, sure, but Nadal was dire.

Filo V.
03-17-2011, 07:05 AM
Rafa was good at the end of both sets, and that's about it. He made near 40 errors and served ineffectively. He didn't return well enough and didn't punish Somdev enough for short balls. He didn't show much intensity until the end. It just wasn't an acceptable performance. With that said, Somdev played one of the best matches I've seen from him at this level and fought very hard.

Filo V.
03-17-2011, 07:07 AM
I didn't think the match was boring, Nadal was trying to hit out about 65-70% of the time, he was simply missing a lot. Somdev's game is all about consistency and running and occasional counterpunching so that should have been known prior to the match, but some of the rallies were exciting to watch.

Stefanos13
03-17-2011, 07:16 AM
I didn't think the match was boring, Nadal was trying to hit out about 65-70% of the time, he was simply missing a lot. Somdev's game is all about consistency and running and occasional counterpunching so that should have been known prior to the match, but some of the rallies were exciting to watch.

Do you think Nadal used the match to practice and explore his shots? Or was it genuinely that hard for him to finish it off?

navy75
03-17-2011, 07:16 AM

The Magician makes some really fair points. Somdev's game really hasn't changed much (although one could argue that he has become an even better pusher I suppose), and Rafa clearly wasn't doing what he knew that he needed to do to put Somdev away until the 5-6 and 4-5 games.

Filo V.
03-17-2011, 07:20 AM
It was genuinely hard for Rafa to close out because Rafa wasn't executing well enough to make it easier on himself. Rafa didn't play well. It wasn't a practice match, I don't think he was at 100% intensity or he felt uncomfortable with the direction of the match, but he definitely took the match seriously when he was down break point at 5-5 in set 1. A major reason Somdev took 10 games, especially early in both sets, was because Rafa made errors or wasn't hitting out on his shots and left balls hanging for Somdev to attack. Rafa made like 37 errors. Somdev can only do so much to impact a match with the game he plays and Rafa kept him hanging around.

Stefanos13
03-17-2011, 07:39 AM
It was genuinely hard for Rafa to close out because Rafa wasn't executing well enough to make it easier on himself. Rafa didn't play well. It wasn't a practice match, I don't think he was at 100% intensity or he felt uncomfortable with the direction of the match, but he definitely took the match seriously when he was down break point at 5-5 in set 1. A major reason Somdev took 10 games, especially early in both sets, was because Rafa made errors or wasn't hitting out on his shots and left balls hanging for Somdev to attack. Rafa made like 37 errors. Somdev can only do so much to impact a match with the game he plays and Rafa kept him hanging around.

Great – at last, some objective response in the current madness of the forum!

Arkulari
03-17-2011, 09:38 AM
http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/News/Tennis/2011/Tournament/ATP-Wednesday-Nadal-Federer-Tested.aspx

Nadal faced a third straight qualifier at the 2011 BNP Paribas Open, but in contrast to his straight-forward wins earlier this week, Wednesday’s fourth round match against India’s Devvarman proved more competitive.

Devvarman broke Nadal in the opening service game, but was unable to maintain the lead as the Spaniard drew level at 2-all. After saving two break points on serve in the 11th game, the two-time Indian Wells champion proceeded to close both sets by breaking Devvarman at love.

“He didn’t play well, but I played terrible in the beginning,” said Nadal. “After that I improved a little bit, but the first set in general, for me, was really bad, because I wasn’t able to play aggressive with my forehand. I didn’t see [any] opportunity to go inside and to play the winner… It wasn't a bad second set. That's the most positive thing. I played much better in the end of the match than in the beginning.”

Devvarman had not won a main draw match at an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament prior to this week but had reached the fourth round without the loss of a set, including an upset win over World No. 22 Marcos Baghdatis in the second round.

orangehat
03-17-2011, 09:41 AM
That article is terrible, what the hell do they mean devvarman reached the 4th round without losing a set, he lost a set to Malisse :rolleyes:

Arkulari
03-17-2011, 09:42 AM
And that comes from the tournament's official page :spit:

Elbarto
03-17-2011, 09:43 AM
poor performance from Nadal and great play from Devvarman,

I'm now pretty sure that Karlovic can upset Nadal

Rafa#Uno:-)
03-17-2011, 11:46 AM
22 errors in the 1st set by nadal

he is out.....
will lose to ivo

djoker will win this

Sonja1989
03-17-2011, 12:37 PM
:yeah:
It was enought against Devverman. If he will need, he will playing better. ;) He don't has bad draw, he will play final sure. ;)

And Rafa#Uno:-), don't be pessimist. ;)

Sunset of Age
03-17-2011, 12:43 PM
I only saw the first set, wherein Rafa was playing like a genuine UE-machine. Bad! :(
Devverman deserves respect. Didn't go away, kept on fighting. Good to see, but of course I'm happy with the eventual result of the match.

tennizen
03-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Nadal played terribly in the first 3-4 games which had nothing to do with Somdev. After that, when still not completely in his element, he was flustered by Somdev's incessant defense. Also Somdev won that many games because he has a decent serve and he played some critical points in his service games well by using that serve effectively and finishing points by coming forward. Also while mostly played defense, he also surprised occasionally by using Nadal's pace to hit some winners when he got the chance.

Nadal probably didn't know much about his opponent and must have come in relaxed thinking he wouldn't need much to do. Took him a little bit to get into groove.

kindling
03-17-2011, 03:35 PM
this match was boring as hell, like watching lead paint dry. I kept looking at the clock to see when Nadal would finish him off.

Like watching LEAD paint dry? Is that more boring or more exciting than watching water based or oil based paint dry? And what exactly is different about it?

CCBH
03-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Ugh! Pretty horrific stuff from Nadal, missing forehands by miles and cautiously guiding it a few times at the end of the 1st set. 1st serve % wasn't too bad (60) but it seemed far lower, maybe because he was doing nothing with it and got sucked into long rallies he just had no idea how to end. Was tight too, and kept adding more and more topspin to the balls, framing several in the process.

I respect Devvarman's effort and all, but does he really believe this game style will make any headway against good players playing decently well? He needs to be in perfect shape to get to so many balls and keep patting them back deep. Effective strategy, but should be exposed quickly unless the opponent is miserably bad. That said, there is potential. He can take some risks, and that serve is tricky at times.

KenMirnyi
03-17-2011, 06:30 PM

The brainless mug strikes again.:haha: you need serious help man.

Forrest Gump is a real genius compared to you....